Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,261 members, 7,943,539 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 05:58 PM

Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 (13234 Views)

The Testimony Of Goshen360 Is The Testimony Of God’s Grace / *~ Goshen360 Voted Religion Section Poster Of 2012*~ Congratulations! / God Did "NOT" Create "ONLY" Adam But Many People - Obadiah777 Vs Goshen360 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Image123(m): 1:57pm On Sep 07, 2012
you mean when the Spirit moved upon the face of the waters, justthinking He probably spent some while ontop naija. Anyhow, was the earth created in verse2 or verse1 and is the right verse day1? thanks Gosh .
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by danwo: 6:22pm On Sep 07, 2012
danwo:

@Goshen360, Mon cher frère bien-aimé

I understand the worryness and skepticism

Please indulge me these questions

#1. What does "first of its kind" mean?
#2. What does "after its kind" mean?
#2b. What is/are difference(s) between #1 and #2?
#3. In your own opionion, are #1 and #2 similar, remotely at all that is?
#4. Do you agree that translators are not infalliable and the translations are not God inspired like all scripture is?
(i.e. translations such as hebrew - english, greek - english, verse numberings, chapter numberings etc)

Goshen360:

1.About the dinosaurs, are you guys insinuating that these dinosaurs were not destroyed during the flood of Noah?

danwo:

^^^^

The water during the Noah flood remained above the highest mountains for a year before receding.

Ask yourself this question, is a year enough to set those fossils preserved animals remains we've so far seen?

Dinosaurs? Bitumen? They are partners in crime here.

They go way back. Think about it, think how long it takes petrol to form

Image123:

nl's theoloGISTS are still playing here. Goshen which day do you think God created crude oil?

Goshen360:

Okay bros, make I give you the answer.

Crude oil was created with the initial creation of the earth in Genesis 1:2 and many more thing.

That is why it is called "natural resources".

I can prove it with scriptures if you doubt me or if you want me to prove.

I hope this answers your question.

Image123:

you mean when the Spirit moved upon the face of the waters,

just thinking He probably spent some while ontop naija.

Anyhow, was the earth created in verse2 or verse1 and is the right verse day1?

thanks Gosh .

^^^^

"Oo ko nyoboro, boro boro, bi obe ewedu tohun tila, evading answering questions asked

If not that he is my brother, I would have called him a snake oil salesman.

Yeah the Spirit then leap frogged to Libya, Saudi, Alaska etc grin grin

"That is why it is called "natural resources""

" . . . called "natural resources"" this made my mouth laugh grin grin

"I can prove it with scriptures if you doubt me or if you want me to prove"

Yes ooo, prove it with scripture.

Of course, yes, we want you to prove it
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Goshen360(m): 8:35pm On Sep 07, 2012
Chei.....see them my brothers laying in wait for me make I come answer their answer so them go catch me for my words....Chei, I don see something for this my brothers hand o, esp this one wey dem dey call "danwo". See as he compile all this question wey me think say I don dodge finish.....chei.....anyway, make I try sha....maybe them I go fit convince them with scriptures since I no sabi science wey him (my brother danwo) wan take dey explain scriptures. Na only scripture to scripture i sabi grin grin grin
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Goshen360(m): 8:53pm On Sep 07, 2012
@ Image123 and danwo (ore odale.....in the Lord grin)

On the crude oil and natural resources.......Take a look at this and see if you guys can come up with something:

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2 Kjv

Even by the God of thy father, who shall help thee; and by the Almighty, who shall bless thee with blessings of heaven above, blessings of the deep that lieth under, blessings of the breasts, and of the womb: Genesis 49:25 Kjv

In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened. Genesis 7:11 Kjv

by his knowledge the deeps were divided, and the clouds let drop the dew. Proverbs 3:20 Niv

And of Joseph he said, Blessed of the LORD be his land, for the precious things of heaven, for the dew, and for the deep that coucheth beneath, Deut. 33:13 Kjv

Have any of you guys taken time to study on the "deep" in Genesis 1:2? I have given scriptures....try and see if you make anything out of it. shocked cool grin
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by danwo: 7:53am On Sep 08, 2012
Goshen360:

@ Image123 and danwo (ore odale.....in the Lord grin)

On the crude oil and natural resources.......

Take a look at this and see if you guys can come up with something:

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep.
And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2 Kjv

Even by the God of thy father, who shall help thee; and by the Almighty,
who shall bless thee with blessings of heaven above, blessings of the deep that lieth under,
blessings of the breasts, and of the womb: Genesis 49:25 Kjv

In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month,
the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up,
and the windows of heaven were opened. Genesis 7:11 Kjv

by his knowledge the deeps were divided, and the clouds let drop the dew. Proverbs 3:20 Niv

And of Joseph he said, Blessed of the LORD be his land, for the precious things of heaven,
for the dew, and for the deep that coucheth beneath, Deut. 33:13 Kjv

Have any of you guys taken time to study on the "deep" in Genesis 1:2?

I have given scriptures....

try and see if you make anything out of it. shocked cool grin

@Goshen360

Dont play the "Judas Iscariot" card yet

because Proverbs 27:17 says "As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend"

Obadiah777 too agrees with the above verse - seen Obadiah777 hint it

You haven't shown us anything we dont already know

so wipe that smirk off your face

The self-satisfied smile(s) don't suit you, so bin it and hit "Empty the Recycle Bin"

At times, we hold on to certain things and ideas for far too long,

satisfied with these concepts, we're unable to let go

and many times simply become trapped by them.

Since you are a scholar that "takes time to study"

let us check how much time you've taken to study floods.

The below EASY question will wipe the smug from your face

How many times was the Earth flooded?
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Goshen360(m): 4:41pm On Sep 08, 2012
^^^
Chai, see as this my brother don finish me oo. grin Which one be Iscariot card naw? Na kalo-kalo we dey play grin.

Okay, the earth was flooded once in Noah's time.
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by danwo: 5:43pm On Sep 08, 2012
Goshen360:

^^^
Chai, see as this my brother don finish me oo. grin

Which one be Iscariot card naw? Na kalo-kalo we dey play grin.

Okay, the earth was flooded once in Noah's time.

@Goshen360

" . . . the earth was flooded once in Noah's time"?

I hear you but yeah right! SMH ROTFL grin

Adding Noah to your reply was your escape clause. Hmm?

So do you want to phone a friend,

Do you want to ask
Delafruita SNCOQ3 CrazyMan Mr_Anony
truthislight vislabraye Joagbaje iheanyi4u
mkmyers45 Image123 Ihedinobi obadiah777
OLAADEGBU debosky aletheia Sweetnecta
one of the audience?

or is that your final answer? grin

1 Like

Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Goshen360(m): 5:50pm On Sep 08, 2012
danwo:

@Goshen360

" . . . the earth was flooded once in Noah's time"?

I hear you but yeah right! SMH ROTFL grin

Adding Noah to your reply was your escape clause. Hmm?

So do you want to phone a friend,

Do you want to ask
Delafruita SNCOQ3 CrazyMan Mr_Anony
truthislight vislabraye Joagbaje iheanyi4u
mkmyers45 Image123 Ihedinobi obadiah777
OLAADEGBU debosky aletheia Sweetnecta
one of the audience?

or is that your final answer? grin

Haaaaaaaa, we don go start dey make millions be this o. Na who wants to be a millionaire we don turn this game into ni? Nooo, I want to be a billionaire not millionaire o.

Having weekend fun with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NP2YcCkFAY?version=3&hl=en
grin grin grin
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Goshen360(m): 5:58pm On Sep 08, 2012
This weekend is all Gospel tungba extra.... grin grin grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBGHuhSMTns?version=3&hl=en

Arise from Zero to hero.....it's flowing cheesy cheesy cheesy Since you turned this thread to who wants to be a millionaire, my question is....from this video, S'ofaramo k'emi di millionaire, t'owo ba de, mo ma toju e?
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Goshen360(m): 6:13pm On Sep 08, 2012
Come dance with the brother.....this is awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Oo1HB2PYA?version=3&hl=en
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by danwo: 6:18pm On Sep 08, 2012
Goshen360:

This weekend is all Gospel tungba extra.... grin grin grin

Arise from Zero to hero.....it's flowing cheesy cheesy cheesy

Since you turned this thread to who wants to be a millionaire,

my question is....from this video,

S'ofaramo k'emi di millionaire, t'owo ba de, mo ma toju e?

@Goshen360

"Faramo" 100%

"Bo se nda fun ee, o ti da femi naani" and vice versa

By the way, thanks for the tune(s), I've never heard those guys before

I have now added the twins to my collection for future airplays at gigs
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Goshen360(m): 6:28pm On Sep 08, 2012
^^^
Okay, te ti faramo 100%, let me finish this dance and rejoice in the Holy Ghost (Especially the 3rd video of Tope Alabi in Winners' Chapel, it's awesome bro), less I quench the Spirit....then we might continue this thread on Monday....But for now, am high in the Holy Ghost and don't want to quench the Spirit with whom we are sealed......abi k'oda bee ni?
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by danwo: 6:51pm On Sep 08, 2012
Goshen360:

^^^
Okay, te ti faramo 100%,

let me finish this dance and rejoice in the Holy Ghost

(Especially the 3rd video of Tope Alabi in Winners' Chapel, it's awesome bro),

less I quench the Spirit....then we might continue this thread on Monday....

But for now, am high in the Holy Ghost

and don't want to quench the Spirit with whom we are sealed

abi k'oda bee ni?

^^^

Nahin ooo - "Ain't no party like a Holy Ghost party"
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Goshen360(m): 6:59pm On Sep 08, 2012
^^^

Sure there ain't any kind like being drunk in the Holy Ghost.....listen to the words of this video. I will only get down from this Praise mountain ONLY when the Holy Ghost allow me for today. Aside that, am still enjoying this bro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aXZQb3P3wQ?version=3&hl=en
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Goshen360(m): 7:58pm On Sep 08, 2012
The words/lyrics of this video I love the most....I feel like preaching right now, Glory to God!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezyUo2l5cHs?version=3&hl=en
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Image123(m): 10:26am On Sep 10, 2012
Yes, today officially marks my resumption from my nl leave. ihope to contribute to this thread and others in more words than quips later on grin
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by debosky(m): 4:39pm On Sep 10, 2012
So crude oil don become blessings of the deep? cheesy cheesy

Na wa oh. Here I was thinking Image123's question about crude oil was tongue in cheek. grin
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:54pm On Sep 10, 2012
Image123: nl's theoloGISTS are still playing here. Goshen which day do you think God created crude oil?

Let Dr. Andrew Snelling give you the answer to the origin of crude oil in the suggested link below:

Here are some extracts:

All the available evidence points to a recent catastrophic origin for the world’s vast oil deposits, from plant and other organic debris, consistent with the biblical account of earth history. Vast forests grew on land and water surfaces17 in the pre-Flood world, and the oceans teemed with diatoms and other tiny photosynthetic organisms. Then during the global Flood cataclysm, the forests were uprooted and swept away. Huge masses of plant debris were rapidly buried in what thus became coal beds, and organic matter generally was dispersed throughout the many catastrophically deposited sedimentary rock layers. The coal beds and fossiliferous sediment layers became deeply buried as the Flood progressed. As a result, the temperatures in them increased sufficiently to rapidly generate crude oils and natural gas from the organic matter in them. These subsequently migrated until they were trapped in reservoir rocks and structures, thus accumulating to form today’s oil and gas deposits.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v2/n1/origin-of-oil

So you can see how crude oil formed and that it does not have to take millions and billions of years to form.
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by debosky(m): 5:09pm On Sep 10, 2012
How can Dr Snelling give THE Answer when he was not present? cheesy

When people try to turn their OPINIONS into facts, always exercise caution.

It's these same people that claim that there was no rain before the flood of Noah, despite God not telling them there wasn't, or the same lot guessing which day God created angels, when they were not told when this happened. cheesy
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by danwo: 5:24pm On Sep 10, 2012
Image123:

nl's theoloGISTS are still playing here. Goshen which day do you think God created crude oil?

OLAADEGBU:

Let Dr. Andrew Snelling give you the answer to the origin of crude oil in the suggested link below:

Here are some extracts:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v2/n1/origin-of-oil

So you can see how crude oil formed and that it does not have to take millions and billions of years to form.

danwo:

@Goshen360

Dont play the "Judas Iscariot" card yet

because Proverbs 27:17 says "As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend"

Obadiah777 too agrees with the above verse - seen Obadiah777 hint it

You haven't shown us anything we dont already know

so wipe that smirk off your face

The self-satisfied smile(s) don't suit you, so bin it and hit "Empty the Recycle Bin"

At times, we hold on to certain things and ideas for far too long,

satisfied with these concepts, we're unable to let go

and many times simply become trapped by them.

Since you are a scholar that "takes time to study"

let us check how much time you've taken to study floods.

The below EASY question will wipe the smug from your face

^^^^

Let's repeat an earlier question Goshen360 dodged

Answering that question will pave the way for the next qustion(s) smiley
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:30pm On Sep 10, 2012
debosky: How can Dr Snelling give THE Answer when he was not present? cheesy

When people try to turn their OPINIONS into facts, always exercise caution.

It's these same people that claim that there was no rain before the flood of Noah, despite God not telling them there wasn't, or the same lot guessing which day God created angels, when they were not told when this happened. cheesy

Since you moderators are now the custodians of the truth, why tell us when these things happened and delete whatever post you think does not portray the truth as you see it.
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Image123(m): 5:37pm On Sep 10, 2012
Ola mi, how and why would Dr. Snelling say ALL the available evidence? Is he talking about just the evidence available to him which doesn't even look like evidence but conjecture?
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by debosky(m): 7:23pm On Sep 10, 2012
Image123: Ola mi, how and why would Dr. Snelling say ALL the available evidence? Is he talking about just the evidence available to him which doesn't even look like evidence but conjecture?

You dey mind this charlatan of a copy and paster? Once it's published on answers in genesis, it becomes fact to him. cheesy

OLAADEGBU:

Since you moderators are now the custodians of the truth, why tell us when these things happened and delete whatever post you think does not portray the truth as you see it.

What do moderators have to do with anything? I am not a moderator, neither is moderating relevant to the discussion. I don't need to tell you when anything happened - what I am certain of, is that Snelling doesn't know because he wasn't there! cheesy

You can present an opinion if you wish, but don't call it 'the answer'.
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Image123(m): 9:58pm On Sep 10, 2012
Okay, so to the PreAdamic and gap theory. ithink it should be clearly stated that knowledge is not what saves us but faith.

1Cor 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

The Bible does not say specifically that there was no gap between Genesis 1:1-3, neither does it say specifically there was. For instance,
Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Isa 9:7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even forever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.

Benefit of hindsight gives us the opportunity to see the 'gapS' in these two verses from Isaiah even though the Bible doesn't directly state it. In a similar vein, there are serious reasons and verses in the Bible and in reality that suggest that there MAY have been a gap. Without wasting time on preambles, lemme immediately state some of the reasons i[b]think[/b] there is some gap in the Genesis account.

1. The Genesis is a genesis/beginning of man i.e as it concerns man's race. It is our beginning and of that which concerns us. Not all facts are stated in the scriptures but such as concern our salvation and pilgrimage.
Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honor of kings is to search out a matter.
John 21:25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

It is the glory of God to conceal a thing. Not everything is left bare on the surface HoHa for us. And not everything is compulsory to know or have. i believe that when the new heavens and earth God promised commences, that race would also have a reference point "In the beginning God".
2. Central to my reason is this passage and its likes.
Gen 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
Two words are used there interestingly CREATED and MADE. They may appear the same to us and can even be used interchangeably in our everyday language, but its notable that the writer of the first five books of the Bible is very careful in using the word 'create(d)' as opposed to the use of the word 'made/make'. i sincerely don't think it a coincidence. To create is not as general as to make. Genesis 2.3 says God created and made.

Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
It may not be coincidence that after verse1, God began to make instead of create, except in two cases, verse21 and man. The two cases can also be said to have been made, but the word 'create' is put ithink to show that there was a new thing in them that never existed prior. i stongly believe that light existed before our day 1, God Himself is light (1John 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. ) Genesis doesn't say God created light on the first day, He spoke light into our world, and that's why it later says on another day that He made the lights and the stars. Its not a create but a make, an appointing in this case.

3. the Bible never ever states that God created the heavens and the earth in six days, but it says God made in six days.
Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
Exo 31:17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel forever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.
Coincidence in word choice? ithink not.
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Image123(m): 10:14pm On Sep 10, 2012
The first reason i gave ( The Genesis is a genesis/beginning of man i.e as it concerns man's race. It is our beginning and of that which concerns us.) explains why we do not bring into our own race, the creation of angels and devils and the fall of satan. They are not of our race, neither do they have our salvation. The angels were already in existence when God laid the foundations of the earth.
Job 38:4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
Job 38:5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
Job 38:6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
Job 38:7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Goshen360(m): 11:58pm On Sep 10, 2012
@ Image123,

As much and good as we are student of the word. I also believe the "in the beginning" of Genesis 1:1 is not the beginning of God's word but the beginning of creation of OUR heaven(s) which we literally see above us and our earth. I am not debating the fact that "heaven", the abode place of God was NOT already created but my debate is the heaven we see literally above us and where the light bearers are fixed. This is what am debating, let's not confuse the issue. I do not and the bible do not say there is GAP in the creation of our own physical heaven (not heaven, the abode place of God) and earth WHEN GOD BEGAN TO CREATE THE WORLD but if you say guys are referring to the "heaven" in Genesis 1:1 to mean the abode place of God, that will be a wrong interpretation of such "heaven" and you will be right to mean the is Gap between that heaven and creation of our own literal and physical "heaven/earth" which is exactly what this creation account is all about for it doesn't mention the creation of the heaven where God reside but our physical heaven/earth.

As for the use of "create", "made" and "formed". Both create and made/formed can be used interchangeably as you rightly pointed but create carries more deeper meaning that to form/made. To create is to bring something out of nothing while to form/made is to use an existing material to bring something into existence. The use of "create" in 1:1 means God is the subject of creation and He brought the initial earth/heaven out of nothing because the water/deep of Genesis 1:2 knows no one the existing materials. The English verb “create” captures well the meaning of the Hebrew term in this context. The verb (bara’) always describes the divine activity of fashioning something new, fresh, and perfect. The verb does not necessarily describe creation out of nothing but sometimes does where the context allow (see, for example, Genesis 1:27, where it refers to the creation of man rather than formed/made since the existing material from which man was made was the dust/soil of the ground); it often stresses forming anew just like one can create a new account e.g on nairaland or somewhere.

We are only doing this talk to have our spiritual senses exercised...... cheesy
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:24pm On Sep 12, 2012
Bible commentary on Genesis 1:2

"And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters" (Genesis 1:2).

1:2 the earth.

In an attempt to accommodate the supposed evolutionary geological ages in Genesis, certain theologians postulated a long gap in time here between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2, in which it was hoped these ages could be pigeon-holed and forgotten as far as Biblical exegesis was concerned. This gap theory, however, requires a worldwide cataclysm at the end of the geological ages, in order to account for the globally inundated and darkened earth described in Genesis 1:2. The cataclysm, in turn, is hypothetically connected with the fall of Lucifer in heaven (Isaiah 14:9-14) and his expulsion to the earth (Ezekiel 28:12-15), though such a cataclysm is nowhere mentioned in Scripture. However, in addition to its obvious contradictions with other important and clear Bible passages (e.g., Genesis 1:31; Exodus 20:11), the gap theory is self-defeating geologically. The geological age system (which is the necessary framework for modern evolutionism) is based entirely on the principle of uniformitarianism, a premise which precludes any such worldwide cataclysm, and requires the interpreting of earth history by the extrapolation of present geological processes into the remote past. The concept of geological ages is based entirely on a uniformitarian explanation of the fossil beds and sedimentary rocks of the earth’s crust, which would all have been destroyed by the postulated pre-Adamic cataclysm. Thus, any attempt to ignore or explain away the supposed great age of the earth by appeal to the gap theory makes an unnecessary and abortive compromise with evolutionism, and displays a lack of understanding of the geological structures and processes to which evolutionists appeal in postulating their long ages.

The real answer to the geological ages is not an imaginary pre-Adamic cataclysm, but the very real cataclysm of the Noahic Deluge (see comments on Genesis 6–9), which provides a much better explanation of the fossil beds and sedimentary rocks, eliminating all evidence of geological ages and confirming the Biblical doctrine of recent creation.

Genesis 1:2

1:2 was without form, and void.

The verb “was” in Genesis 1:2 is the regular Hebrew verb of being (hayetha) and does not denote a change of state unless the context so requires. It only rarely is translated “became,” as the gap theory postulates here. Neither does the phrase tohu waw bohu need to mean “ruined and desolated,” as the gap theory requires. The King James translation “without form and void” is the proper meaning.

1:2 was upon the face of the deep.

The universe as first called into existence by Elohim was in elemental existence, still “unformed” and unenergized, not yet ready for habitation, “void” (see notes on Psalm 33:6-9; Proverbs 8:22-31; Isaiah 45:18; II Peter 3:5). It would not be perfect (i.e., finished) until the end of creation week, when God would pronounce it “very good” and “finished” (Genesis 1:31–2:3). The “earth” material was suspended in a matrix of water (the “deep”) completely static and therefore in “darkness.”

1:2 And the Spirit...moved.

However, this condition prevailed only momentarily. Then, the “Spirit” (Hebrew ruach) of “God” (Elohim) proceeded to “move upon the face of the waters” (literally, “vibrate in the presence of the waters”). Waves of gravitational energy and waves of electro-magnetic energy began to pulse forth from the great “Breath” (another meaning of ruach) of God, the Prime Mover of the universe. The unformed “earth” material (Hebrew eretz), as well as the “waters” permeating it (Hebrew shamayim) quickly coalesced into spherical form under the new force of gravity, and the first material body (Planet Earth) had been formed at a point in space.

For more . . . .
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by danwo: 6:39pm On Sep 12, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

Bible commentary on Genesis 1:2

"And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters" (Genesis 1:2).

1:2 the earth.

In an attempt to accommodate the supposed evolutionary geological ages in Genesis, certain theologians postulated a long gap in time here between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2, in which it was hoped these ages could be pigeon-holed and forgotten as far as Biblical exegesis was concerned. This gap theory, however, requires a worldwide cataclysm at the end of the geological ages, in order to account for the globally inundated and darkened earth described in Genesis 1:2. The cataclysm, in turn, is hypothetically connected with the fall of Lucifer in heaven (Isaiah 14:9-14) and his expulsion to the earth (Ezekiel 28:12-15), though such a cataclysm is nowhere mentioned in Scripture. However, in addition to its obvious contradictions with other important and clear Bible passages (e.g., Genesis 1:31; Exodus 20:11), the gap theory is self-defeating geologically. The geological age system (which is the necessary framework for modern evolutionism) is based entirely on the principle of uniformitarianism, a premise which precludes any such worldwide cataclysm, and requires the interpreting of earth history by the extrapolation of present geological processes into the remote past. The concept of geological ages is based entirely on a uniformitarian explanation of the fossil beds and sedimentary rocks of the earth’s crust, which would all have been destroyed by the postulated pre-Adamic cataclysm. Thus, any attempt to ignore or explain away the supposed great age of the earth by appeal to the gap theory makes an unnecessary and abortive compromise with evolutionism, and displays a lack of understanding of the geological structures and processes to which evolutionists appeal in postulating their long ages.

The real answer to the geological ages is not an imaginary pre-Adamic cataclysm, but the very real cataclysm of the Noahic Deluge (see comments on Genesis 6–9), which provides a much better explanation of the fossil beds and sedimentary rocks, eliminating all evidence of geological ages and confirming the Biblical doctrine of recent creation.

1:2 was without form, and void.

The verb “was” in Genesis 1:2 is the regular Hebrew verb of being (hayetha) and does not denote a change of state unless the context so requires. It only rarely is translated “became,” as the gap theory postulates here. Neither does the phrase tohu waw bohu need to mean “ruined and desolated,” as the gap theory requires. The King James translation “without form and void” is the proper meaning.

1:2 was upon the face of the deep.

The universe as first called into existence by Elohim was in elemental existence, still “unformed” and unenergized, not yet ready for habitation, “void” (see notes on Psalm 33:6-9; Proverbs 8:22-31; Isaiah 45:18; II Peter 3:5). It would not be perfect (i.e., finished) until the end of creation week, when God would pronounce it “very good” and “finished” (Genesis 1:31–2:3). The “earth” material was suspended in a matrix of water (the “deep”) completely static and therefore in “darkness.”

1:2 And the Spirit...moved.

However, this condition prevailed only momentarily. Then, the “Spirit” (Hebrew ruach) of “God” (Elohim) proceeded to “move upon the face of the waters” (literally, “vibrate in the presence of the waters”). Waves of gravitational energy and waves of electro-magnetic energy began to pulse forth from the great “Breath” (another meaning of ruach) of God, the Prime Mover of the universe. The unformed “earth” material (Hebrew eretz), as well as the “waters” permeating it (Hebrew shamayim) quickly coalesced into spherical form under the new force of gravity, and the first material body (Planet Earth) had been formed at a point in space.

For more . . . .

^^^^

Let's repeat earlier ducked and dodged questions.

#1. What does "first of its kind" mean?
#2. What does "after its kind" mean?
#2b. What is/are difference(s) between #1 and #2?
#3. In your own opionion, are #1 and #2 similar, remotely at all that is?
#4. Do you agree that translators are not infalliable and their translations are not God inspired like all scripture is?
(i.e. translations such as hebrew to english, greek to english, verse numberings, chapter numberings etc)

Answering the questions will pave way for next question(s) smiley
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Goshen360(m): 6:44pm On Sep 12, 2012
^^^
Why don't you tell us about the answers since am "dodging" the question and share with us how it fits into the gap/pre-adamic world......or what you think?
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by danwo: 6:46pm On Sep 12, 2012
Goshen360:

^^^
Why don't you tell us about the answers since am "dodging" the question and share with us how it fits into the gap/pre-adamic world......

or what you think?

^^^^

When shoe gets flung in market place, the pesin wey shout out, nahin shoe nack for head grin grin
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Goshen360(m): 7:18pm On Sep 12, 2012
^^^
Me no understand this kind proverbs oooo. It's not like am dodging your kweshions but it's like you are mistaking something between verse one and two of Genesis 1 and that is where the problem is coming from......That is what I want us to deal with rather than question, question. What you are mistaking is, you take the "heaven" in Gen. 1:1 as the abode place of God which in your interpretation translates into Gap between verse one and two. If you are interpreting that heaven as the abode place of God, your interpretation is wrong but you will be right that Gap exist before creating the earth but that's not what we/are talking about, we are talking about when the earth was created in its initial state in verse 2. Since you agree that verse two is a description on which from verse 3 speaks of, then how can the heaven in 1:1 be the abode place of God and then verse 3 forward taking after verse 2?

Except am not understanding you my brother.
Re: Discussing Genesis 1:1-2 On Pre-Adamic And Gap Theory - Delafruita Vs Goshen360 by Goshen360(m): 7:54pm On Sep 12, 2012
@ danwo,

Your own version of Gap and pre-Adamic world is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from what the Gap theory often says.....Let me as (If permitted), do you understand what the gap theory and pre-Adamic world teachers teaches?...because you are saying something total different from theirs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

An Open Letter To The Church: How The Church Can Make The World A Better Place / THE RED SEA CROSSING. Did It Really Happen? [See pictures] / 4 Reasons Christians Die In Sickness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.