Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,032 members, 7,919,267 topics. Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 05:22 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (122) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1902446 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) ... (911) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by sagaciousblog: 6:04am On Oct 15, 2013
snave007: Congrats bro,we'll meet @ school
gratitude sir, are u in uniben?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by sagaciousblog: 6:07am On Oct 15, 2013
Ubechu1: Thats kul, am xo happy 4 u what did u score in Jamb nd Putme for uniben and ur state of origin
jamb;215 , put me;68. and am from Edo
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:04am On Oct 15, 2013
Dr.'Hesjay:
Hmmm.....I've been on this thread right from the start,but as a BMS student...My only wish was to b a Medic...God has done it..
Wrote JAMB this year,and my 2nd choice skul(Unilorin) Has admitted me for MBBS,..m so happy..
I am expecting my first choice skl(UI) to release cutoff next week,i pray it favors me...Cos i chose dentistry there and its dentistry that i actually want!...
Either of the 2,i know i am now a medical student....I'm happy!!!!!!!
please what's your average score @ unilorin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by michy99(f): 10:19am On Oct 15, 2013
I'v bin followin dis thread 4 a wile now. I am a med n surg student..in university of calabar,200 lvl.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 10:26am On Oct 15, 2013
michy99: I'v bin followin dis thread 4 a wile now. I am a med n surg student..in university of calabar,200 lvl.
happy to have you here ma'am, looking forward to learning from you.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by taiocol: 10:32am On Oct 15, 2013
michy99: I'v bin followin dis thread 4 a wile now. I am a med n surg student..in university of calabar,200 lvl.
hey wlcum, does calabar accept second choice medical student?.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ubechu1(m): 12:25pm On Oct 15, 2013
Dr.'Hesjay:
Hmmm.....I've been on this thread right from the start,but as a BMS student...My only wish was to b a Medic...God has done it..
Wrote JAMB this year,and my 2nd choice skul(Unilorin) Has admitted me for MBBS,..m so happy..
I am expecting my first choice skl(UI) to release cutoff next week,i pray it favors me...Cos i chose dentistry there and its dentistry that i actually want!...
Either of the 2,i know i am now a medical student....I'm happy!!!!!!!
whats did u score in Jamb and Unilorin Putme & and where are u 4rm?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by michy99(f): 3:13pm On Oct 15, 2013
I dont fink dey accept 2nd choice. M nt rily sure sha
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by taiocol: 3:14pm On Oct 15, 2013
michy99: I dont fink dey accept 2nd choice. M nt rily sure sha
tnx
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 3:22pm On Oct 15, 2013

Hey Michy. Welcome wink
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Mikebis(m): 6:20pm On Oct 15, 2013
Dr.'Hesjay:
HAAHAHAH...boss chill.....No0 biochem course in 100lvl...Its d normal sciencse courses...\
since its u.i,...Physics,Chemistry,Zoology and GES is what u'll do.
good to here dat bro,dat means it wll b so easy 4 me to cross to mbbs,because dat ma major aim 4 chosn biochem in d first place
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dapsondou(m): 8:15pm On Oct 15, 2013
Mikebis: good to here dat bro,dat means it wll b so easy 4 me to cross to mbbs,because dat ma major aim 4 chosn biochem in d first place

Did u just say easy?
Not that i wanna scare u but u wnt be d only one who wants to cross.
There is stiff competition. Its up to u to prepare hard. And i trust u naa..sebi na u
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 1:33am On Oct 16, 2013
Pls guys, what causes the anti-peristaltic movement prior to
vomiting in the gut? Don't say ask googlr cos google has failed me! embarassed

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Samgreguc(m): 6:36am On Oct 16, 2013
welcome. . . Do UNICAL write exam on direct entry?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Samgreguc(m): 6:54am On Oct 16, 2013
saheaven: Brothers, i have to do medicine. Even if it means rewritting JAMB next year....though i've been admitted into Nursing this year @OAU...but i was informed it wil be difficult for one to cross...i do always think nursing is exclusively for ladies
na na. . . Its not exclusively for ladies. It is just the Nigerian-sex syndrome.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Mikebis(m): 7:55am On Oct 16, 2013
dapsondou:

Did u just say easy?
Not that i wanna scare u but u wnt be d only one who wants to cross.
There is stiff competition. Its up to u to prepare hard. And i trust u naa..sebi na u
hahaha..no b me na GOD O,i jst in destiny nd GOD desire or plan,if its ma destiny nd also PART OF GOD PLAN 4 me,no mata hw dfficult it is,i wll mk it
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by cimetidine: 9:06am On Oct 16, 2013
alutacontinua: Pls guys, what causes the anti-peristaltic movement prior to
vomiting in the gut? Don't say ask googlr cos google has failed me! embarassed

Thanks in advance!
ifa app can neva fail. I av an ifa wu neva fail.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 10:14am On Oct 16, 2013
cimetidine: ifa app can neva fail. I av an ifa wu neva fail.

Introduce urself first, bushmeat! undecided
Which med skul are u from
What level
Thanks! tongue
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by topsonkay(m): 10:44am On Oct 16, 2013
cimetidine: ifa app can neva fail. I av an ifa wu neva fail.
here resemble joke section?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by cimetidine: 10:55am On Oct 16, 2013
alutacontinua:

Introduce urself first, bushmeat! undecided
Which med skul are u from
What level
Thanks! tongue

smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
GO AND SIN NO MORE!!!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by cimetidine: 10:56am On Oct 16, 2013
topsonkay: here resemble joke section?
lol, nah. It z identical ni.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 10:59am On Oct 16, 2013
alutacontinua: Pls guys, what causes the anti-peristaltic movement prior to
vomiting in the gut?

Parasympathetic efferent outflow from vomitting centre in chemotrigger zone (in medulla oblongata) to duodenal smooth muscle causes the anti-peristaltic motion.

• Funny enough, it occurs only in the duodenum.

The movement of the vomitus through the stomach and oesophagus via the pylorus and lower oesophageal sphincter does not depend on anti-peristaltic motion. Rather it's via
1) sphincter relaxation;
2) diaphragm movements;
3) involuntary contraction of abdominal musculature.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by topsonkay(m): 11:05am On Oct 16, 2013
cimetidine: for ur info, all saints university college of medicine, dominica. Nd what of u? Aburos
kai, dont be cheeky! Na the biggest mama be dat. And btw, aint you a law aspirant?

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:26am On Oct 16, 2013
lomaxx:

Parasympathetic efferent outflow from vomitting centre in chemotrigger zone (in medulla oblongata) to duodenal smooth muscle causes the anti-peristaltic motion.

• Funny enough, it occurs only in the duodenum.

The movement of the vomitus through the stomach and oesophagus via the pylorus and lower oesophageal sphincter does not depend on anti-peristaltic motion. Rather it's via
1) sphincter relaxation;
2) diaphragm movements;
3) involuntary contraction of abdominal musculature.

Hmmmmmm......i thought so too until i realised that (i). The chemoreceptor trigger zone is not even the vomiting center. They're two different sites in the brain.

(ii). The vomiting center sends out information through various nerves. I'm thinking the anti-peristaltic motion should be through vagus nerve. Peristalsis is also through the vagus nerve.....Now, what EXACTLY differentiates the peristalsis from anti-peristalsis? Is it the fact that the stimulus now originates from the vomiting center rather than nucleus ambiguus

THANKS IN ADVANCE! Got a presentation on that stuff and if I don't get my stuffs straight, our consultant is gonna finish me on the spot! angry
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:30am On Oct 16, 2013
cimetidine: lol, nah. It z identical ni.

Get out of here, u dis boy!
Like right now! angry angry angry
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:40am On Oct 16, 2013
CIMETIDINE, U GOT A MAIL!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 1:09pm On Oct 16, 2013
alutacontinua:

Hmmmmmm......i thought so too until i realised that (i). The chemoreceptor trigger zone is not even the vomiting center. They're two different sites in the brain.

Yeah. I apologize for that mix-up( CTZ and vomiting centres).

CTZ is in floor of 4th ventricle while vomiting centres are in reticular formation- both in medulla oblongata.

But the basic idea still presides : that the vomiting centres send parasympathetic efferents to duodenal smooth musculature as part of the emetic reflex.

(ii). The vomiting center sends out information through various nerves.

Exactly. It sends:
1) Parasympathetic outflow to abdominal viscera( of which duodenum is among) via the vagus
2) Sympathetic outflow
3) Motor outflow via phrenic nerve to diaphragm

Remember I told you the anti-peristaltic component of the vomitting reflex is mediated by the parasympathetic outflow from vomitting centres. The other components that bring out the vomitus from the gut to the mouth is through relaxation of sphincters (due to parasympathetic outflow too) and diaphragm movements(due to phrenic nerve)

I'm thinking the anti-peristaltic motion should be through vagus nerve.

Vagus = Parasympathetic. QED

Peristalsis is also through the vagus nerve.....Now, what EXACTLY differentiates the peristalsis from anti-peristalsis?

Many differences. The anti-peristalsis associated with vomitting is not a physiological anti-peristalsis.
It is pathological.

Peristalsis involves the whole gut - from oesophagus to small intestine and to the large intestine. Anti-peristalsis, on the other hand, occurs ONLY
in the duodenum (moving vomitus from duodenum to stomach). Anti-peristalsis of vomitting does not go above or beyond the duodenum.

Is it the fact that the stimulus now originates from the vomiting center rather than nucleus ambiguus

Maybe. Vagal outflow (parasympathetic) will always stimulate GI motility- whether peristalsis or anti-peristalsis
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 4:00pm On Oct 16, 2013
I think cimetidine is Aluta's brother...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 6:05pm On Oct 16, 2013
Maybe. Vagal outflow (parasympathetic) will always stimulate GI motility- whether peristalsis or anti-peristalsis

The sentence above is my problem. 'Maybe' is a forbidden word. embarassed what determines whether the movement should be peristaltic or antiperistaltic That is what i'm tryna figure out!

Dr.'Hesjay:
I think cimetidine is Aluta's brother...

U think
Can't u see how troublesome that boy is? Went thru his profile and lipsrsealed lipsrsealed grin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 6:57pm On Oct 16, 2013
Hi everyone. Whats the Main cause of Placenta Abruption. Does it have anything to do with the weight of the baby?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 7:36pm On Oct 16, 2013
alutacontinua:

what determines whether the movement should be peristaltic or antiperistaltic
U think

Your question is: Why is GI motility antegrade(peristalsis) or retrograde(ant-peristalsis)?

Stimulus.

•Stimulus for peristalsis is food in the gut
WHILE
•Stimulus for anti-peristalsis are GI distension, mucosal irritation, psychic stimuli(fear, odour), vestibular disturbances (motion sickness)

Different stimuli will produce different response.

Using vagal input as a criteria to differentiate between peristalsis and anti-peristalsis is not sufficient. Because these processes are not controlled by neural mechanisms alone. Take away vagus nerve from the GIT, and you will still have peristalsis and anti-peristalsis.

Remember the enteric nervous system?

During my first lecture in GI physiology, Prof. Osim concluded that the complexities of the control of GI processes by the sympathetic and parasympathetic system are enormous. One of such led to the proposal of the enteric nervous system.

Why?

Sympathetic And Parasympathetic control are not sufficient to explain all.

PS: Don't be too hard on yourself. Even the consultants know we don't have all the answers.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) ... (911) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.