Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,488 members, 7,968,344 topics. Date: Monday, 07 October 2024 at 04:33 AM

Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses (9601 Views)

Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? / Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here / Can Someone Explain These Verses? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by Dsage1: 4:01pm On Oct 12, 2012
Goshen360:

Let's begin to put your statement under the lens of the word and allow scripture to validate it.....

New Living Translation (©2007)
When God speaks of a "new" covenant, it means he has made the first one obsolete. It is now out of date and will soon disappear.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
In that he says, A new covenant, he has made the first old. Now that which decays and grows old is ready to vanish away.................Hebrews 8:13

Does your statement, "Whatever! Scripture is scripture whether old or new testerment" validate in the face of Hebrews 8:13 OR does it validate in the face of the second witness am calling to testify against you,

New International Version (©1984)
He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant--not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. II Corinthians 3:16

Backing it up with scriptural verses doesn't make it sound doctrine. If in truth it is, they should have also taught the church members this scriptures,

"You must set aside a tithe of your crops--one-tenth of all the crops you harvest each year. Deuteronomy 14:22

OR

New International Version (©1984)
Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always.

Bring this tithe to the designated place of worship--the place the LORD your God chooses for his name to be honored--and eat it there in his presence. This applies to your tithes of grain, new wine, olive oil, and the firstborn males of your flocks and herds. Doing this will teach you always to fear the LORD your God. Deuteronomy 14:23

Tithe as it is in scriptures is.....as COMMANDED, NOT as CONVENIENT sir.

The phrase "when convenient" as it was used in my previous post, indicates that church members shouldn't be intimidated as regards to tithe paying. Now my question to you;

Base on the numerous bible verses you have already quoted here,in your own view, should the churches continue to collect tithe from willing members or just look elsewhere for the money to finance the ministries/institutions of God?
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by Goshen360(m): 4:03pm On Oct 12, 2012
ijawkid:

Lmao.....

My brother them go soon commot the fuel subsiÐy kpatakpata...

Na that time we go know say kaki no be leather.....

Me I wan begin save money o.....

Or better still u go dey send me petrol from Yankee come....lol

grin grin grin. Na Federal Government dey fuel my car for here o. Make I begin dey pump petrol from my car to your car ni....the thing go dry finish before e reach yonder naw....... grin grin grin
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by Goshen360(m): 4:10pm On Oct 12, 2012
D sage:

The phrase "when convenient" as it was used in my previous post, indicates that church members shouldn't be intimidated as regards to tithe paying. Now my question to you;

Base on the numerous bible verses you have already quoted here,in your own view, should the churches continue to collect tithe from willing members or just look elsewhere for the money to finance the ministries/institutions of God?

Good kweshion. There is NOTHING like willingness IN THE COMMANDMENT OF TITHING - YOU MUST BRING IT. However, there is willingness in Giving and that goes beyond tithing which is according to specific percentage. When you talk about tithe, you specifically talk about "crops and animals". When you talk about giving, then you talk about ANYTHING and that can include money. God is wise to change the law from tithing to giving.
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by Bella3(f): 4:16pm On Oct 12, 2012
In the church i attend(for nw). There is a big post on the wall that anyone who doesnt pay tithe wil be poor FOREVER.
Na so i fear carry #5 put for envelope. Thats my tithe. Atleast i gave WILLINGLY!:-D
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by Goshen360(m): 4:18pm On Oct 12, 2012
Bélla3: In the church i attend(for nw). There is a big post on the wall that anyone who doesnt pay tithe wil be poor FOREVER.
Na so i fear carry #5 put for envelope. Thats my tithe. Atleast i gave WILLINGLY!:-D

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by Dsage1: 4:19pm On Oct 12, 2012
Most of you guys especially Goshen360 are so stingy with money.

The reasons behind this thread is unwillingness of op and his friends on this thread to release/pay 10% of their hard earned money to church/ God ministry.
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by PastorKun(m): 4:24pm On Oct 12, 2012
D sage: Most of you guys especially Goshen360 are so stingy with money.

The reasons behind this thread is unwillingness of op and his friends on this thread to release/pay 10% of their hard earned money to church/ God ministry.

Giving 10% of your income as tithes to the church lacks sound scriptural basis. It is a man made doctrine derived from twisting scriptures and it is designed to suit the interest of those promoting it.
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by Dsage1: 4:30pm On Oct 12, 2012
Goshen360:

Good kweshion. There is NOTHING like willingness IN THE COMMANDMENT OF TITHING - YOU MUST BRING IT. However, there is willingness in Giving and that goes beyond tithing which is according to specific percentage. When you talk about tithe, you specifically talk about "crops and animals". When you talk about giving, then you talk about ANYTHING and that can include money. God is wise to change the law from tithing to giving.

Sir, like I said earlier in this thread,we are no longer in agrarian society,so tithe in my own personal view should be given in form of money. Beside, how do you arrived into the conclusion that God has changed the laws from tithing to giving?
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by Goshen360(m): 4:30pm On Oct 12, 2012

That's a dangerous accusation my brother. Do you have ANY scripture to punctuate and back up your claim/statement

D sage:

When have you become the word of God that KNOWS the intent of the heart For your information, we give our money to the work of God to support the Gospel BUT WE DO NOT BRING TITHE.....if we are to bring tithe as commanded, we should and will be bringing crops animals to the church. I hope that will please and satisfy your judgment on us if we bring crops and animals. grin grin grin
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by Goshen360(m): 4:33pm On Oct 12, 2012
D sage:

Sir, like I said earlier in this thread,we are no longer in agrarian society,so tithe in my own personal view should be given in form of money.

1. The bible makes it eternally clear that "money" existed from Genesis BUT our God was very specific and NEVER commanded tithe to be taken from money.....how then do you tell God's people they should bring tithe from "money"

2. Thank God it is YOUR OWN PERSONAL VIEW, NOT GOD's OR BIBLICAL VIEW.

D sage:

Beside, how do you arrived into the conclusion that God has changed the laws from tithing to giving?

Hebrews 7 is the answer. We/I didn't just come to that conclusion.
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by Dsage1: 5:50pm On Oct 12, 2012
Goshen360:

1. The bible makes it eternally clear that "money" existed from Genesis BUT our God was very specific and NEVER commanded tithe to be taken from money.....how then do you tell God's people they should bring tithe from "money"

2. Thank God it is YOUR OWN PERSONAL VIEW, NOT GOD's OR BIBLICAL VIEW.

Hebrews 7 is the answer. We/I didn't just come to that conclusion.

Hmmmmm, ****SIGH****
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by Goshen360(m): 6:52pm On Oct 12, 2012
D sage:

Hmmmmm, ****SIGH****

Which one be "****SIGH****" Have you read Hebrews 7 yet or you still want me to call witnesses from the scripture to testify

grin grin grin
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by truthislight: 11:19pm On Oct 12, 2012
D sage:

What are you trying to prove by above writeup please?

Though,i agree that some pastors used the bible verses to exploit their congregation but that doesn't negate the validity of the tithe.

who is this again?

You mean tith for christian or tith for Jews?
Hmmm!
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by truthislight: 11:28pm On Oct 12, 2012
D sage:

what kind of question is that? ^^^

gift should be in secret at the first place in christianity.

Must contribution be tag as "tith"

Tithing is off from Xtian vocabs.
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by truthislight: 11:37pm On Oct 12, 2012

you fraudulent pastor extorting money from the sheeple when the bible did not teach that.

You turned a blind eye to all the scriptures shown to you and made that lying statement.

That is how your greed pushes you to exploit people in the name of church.
*sigh*
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by truthislight: 11:51pm On Oct 12, 2012
D sage:

Sir, like I said earlier in this thread,we are no longer in agrarian society,so tithe in my own personal view should be given in form of money. Beside, how do you arrived into the conclusion that God has changed the laws from tithing to giving?

is christianity about your personal views?

D sage:
tithe in my own personal view should be given

you should study the bible and know what it says and not teach people your personal opinion.

Imagine! You dont even know that the law has been change

Sorry for the sheep.
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by esere826: 11:08am On Oct 13, 2012
From my reading of the bible wholly, this is what i think

The 'law' of tithe no longer exists for new covenant believers
However, just like other biblical laws, such laws still exist for some because of the 'hardness of their hearts'
In order words, abiding by this law is what stirs up faith in them, not doing this puts them in psychological trouble

Afterall, some actually believe that if they sin God will punish them, and that if they do good deeds God will reward them
This diminishes the value of christ, but is accepted by some because of the hardness of their hearts.
Even some of the writers of the new testament struggled with this revelation
Afterall they reason, what if after receiving christ, you go ahead to commit murder. ....
So because they've chosen this, God has given them the 'talent' that they deserve
which off course is servitude to the law and its modern day prophets

Even amongst some that have come to accept this gospel of total cleansing from past sin and future sins
Some are confident in this gospel only when they hold on tightly to their pastors apron (sometimes referred to as the anointing of that ministry)

(Its not easy accepting this gospel. U might feel almost empty at first and would want to cling to anything flesh for assurance. Its actually easier being led my men than by the Spirit)

Again, God has given these their own 'talents' too.
They are therefore under the 'laws of their pastors'
And these pastors have required that they pay tithe because of their own (pastor's)understanding. Which they (the followers) must have to pay for their salvation (salvation has a stronger meaning than many realise)

For someone who's mature, she doesn't need to fulfil the law of tithe, as she is ever willing to be a blessing (not neccessarily monetarily) to the gospel and therefore beyond the tithe law

There are some things that are explainable, but its difficult to lay out plainly
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by ogoamaka99(m): 1:45am On Oct 14, 2012
@FROSBEL,
OH! FROSBEL, IT SEEMS THAT YOU DON'T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WHAT IS TITHE AND WHAT IS FREEWILL OFFERING. THE TWO VERSES HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TITHE BUT A FREEWILL OFFERING.YOUR LACK OF UNDERSTANDING OF SPIRITUAL MATTERS OF THE BIBLE IS WHAT IS CAUSING YOU TO BE CONFUSING YOURSELF AND OTHERS.
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by Nobody: 9:22am On Oct 14, 2012
Hmn
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by truthislight: 1:49pm On Oct 14, 2012
ogoamaka99: @FROSBEL,
OH! FROSBEL, IT SEEMS THAT YOU DON'T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WHAT IS TITHE AND WHAT IS FREEWILL OFFERING. THE TWO VERSES HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TITHE BUT A FREEWILL OFFERING.YOUR LACK OF UNDERSTANDING OF SPIRITUAL MATTERS OF THE BIBLE IS WHAT IS CAUSING YOU TO BE CONFUSING YOURSELF AND OTHERS.

your greed has blinded you.
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by Joagbaje(m): 2:33pm On Oct 14, 2012
frosbel: 2 Corinthians 8:12
12 A gift is appreciated because of what a person can afford, not because of what that person can’t afford, if it’s apparent that it’s done willingly.

2 Corinthians 9:7-8
7 Everyone should give whatever they have decided in their heart. They shouldn’t give with hesitation or because of pressure. God loves a cheerful giver. 8 God has the power to provide you with more than enough of every kind of grace. That way, you will have everything you need always and in everything to provide more than enough for every kind of good work.

The scriptures quoted has to do with free will giving for the saints in Jerusalem. Not about tithe?
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by Nobody: 2:37pm On Oct 14, 2012
Joagbaje:

The scriptures quoted has to do with free will giving for the saints in Jerusalem. Not about tithe?

wrong !!!

It has to do with giving in general.

The Tithe is not scriptural .
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by Joagbaje(m): 2:40pm On Oct 14, 2012
Tithing is to God. It's part of worship. But the donation or contribution you mentioned here was for. Brethren who were struck but financial hardship.
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by ogoamaka99(m): 4:23pm On Oct 14, 2012
@FROSBEL,
MY DEAR FROSBEL, YOUR PROBLEM IS THAT LACK OF SPIRITUAL UNDERSTANDING OF THE BIBLE HAD MADE YOU TO BE CONFUSED AND SUCH IS CONFUSING OTHERS. FOR GOD'S SAKE WHY CAN'T YOU LEARN TO DEFFERENIATE BETWEEN WHAT IS TITHE AND WHAT IS FREEWILL OFFERING?. THE TWO VERSES QUOTED ABOVE HAD NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH TITHE AS THE VERSES ARE TALKING ABOUT FREEWILL OFFERING.
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by Nobody: 4:35pm On Oct 14, 2012
I AM NOT PAYING TITHE. I am sorry, but I wil do offering, finish.
The price of garri has gone up in the market.
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by PastorKun(m): 5:14pm On Oct 14, 2012
Joagbaje: Tithing is to God. It's part of worship. But the donation or contribution you mentioned here was for. Brethren who were struck but financial hardship.

Tithing has absolutely nothing to do with christian worship to God. Tithing as it is preached and practised today is a fradulent manipulation of old testament scriptures addressed to the jews to satisfy the greed of those who see religion as a money making venture.
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by Goshen360(m): 5:14pm On Oct 14, 2012
Joagbaje: Tithing is to God. It's part of worship. But the donation or contribution you mentioned here was for. Brethren who were struck but financial hardship.

And what tithing is to God, money, crops or animals Not everyone in Israel is to tithe BUT Everyone is to GIVE. Even the biblical tithing as commanded by God (crops and animals), had been ended and disannulled by God NOT to talk of the changed version (money). Teaching and telling God's people to tithe their monetary income is called extortion in the name of God.
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by Joagbaje(m): 5:35pm On Oct 14, 2012
It's a sin to judge others intention wrongfully. If you claim those who Belive in tithe are wrong Based on your own belief no problem. We all have right to what we Belive . but if you claim those who teach on tithing are fraudulent. You are sinning. Because no man will use the name of God for fraud. Every one work according to their conviction. Every man has right to his conviction . A man who serve christ with wrong motive should be left for judgement day . Tithes or church money doesnt belong to the pastor. A pastor is not a tithe collector . The same way bank money doesn't belong to the bank manager. When you miss the basic foundation here all your conclusion will be wrong too. People give tithes based on their understanding and they should not be persecuted for their belief .
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by Goshen360(m): 5:42pm On Oct 14, 2012
Joagbaje: It's a sin to judge others intention wrongfully. If you claim those who Belive in tithe are wrong Based on your own belief no problem. We all have right to what we Belive . but if you claim those who teach on tithing are fraudulent. You are sinning. Because no man will use the name of God for fraud. Every one work according to their conviction. Every man has right to his conviction . A man who serve christ with wrong motive should be left for judgement day . Tithes or church money doesnt belong to the pastor. A pastor is not a tithe collector . The same way bank money doesn't belong to the bank manager. When you miss the basic foundation here all your conclusion will be wrong too. People give tithes based on their understanding and they should not be persecuted for their belief .

Absolutely right but these Pastors knows the truth but rather will not teach the truth. Biblical tithing was NEVER money - Very clear from the scripture. So when pastors changed it to money, What are they doing .......do you mind telling us
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by Joagbaje(m): 5:52pm On Oct 14, 2012
Pastors didn't change it to money. People still gave money in bible days , as tithes , they gave money equivalent of the value of wounded animals etc. people still give tithes of material things today. People mostly give cash because it's a general medium of exchange . Israelites were primarily farmers. Their proceeds were usually used for services in the terbernaclre. I can give material thing as tithe. A laptop dealer can give laptop as tithe since the church may need it. Same goes for generator or give money equivalent
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by Goshen360(m): 6:12pm On Oct 14, 2012
Joagbaje: Pastors didn't change it to money. People still gave money in bible days , as tithes , they gave money equivalent of the value of wounded animals etc. people still give tithes of material things today. People mostly give cash because it's a general medium of exchange . Israelites were primarily farmers. Their proceeds were usually used for services in the terbernaclre. I can give material thing as tithe. A laptop dealer can give laptop as tithe since the church may need it. Same goes for generator or give money equivalent

Very good. What then shall we say when this biblical tithe (crops and animals) was brought to an end.....why do Pastors still teach it and even after changing it to monetary tithing. Are you to say you yourself don't know or have the understanding that tithing was brought to an end
Re: Can Tithing Teachers Help Us Explain These Verses by Joagbaje(m): 6:35pm On Oct 14, 2012
Tithing was never brought to an end. There's no single scripture that's says that .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Inspiring Women Of Faith Ebooks Collection / Ogboni / Share Funny Christmas Story Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.