Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,223 members, 7,880,822 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 07:29 AM

Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. - Family (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. (36210 Views)

They Came Out Of The Room Sweating, But She Said They Didn't Have Sex! / Buried Baby Dug Out Alive In Lagos / Congratulations Debrief On Your New Bouncing Baby Boy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (32) (Go Down)

Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by Busybody2(f): 1:20am On Oct 29, 2012
stillwater: I do not see any need to dignify Guitarlife's posts as a 'balanced view' but just something veering on chauvinism. A quote from him:

Being anti-this thread, doesn't constitute as 'balanced' in my books.

I didn't rubberstamp Guitarlife's post as 100% balanced. I called him out over his anti-cabalite rants too even though he has the right to his opinion, and he took it in his stride.

He said what you quoted AND MORE, on the back of him hailing and hi-fiving Johndoe, and you should know by now not to lend any credence to any trash spewn when these anti-cabalites are on a roll.
Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by baby124: 1:26am On Oct 29, 2012
jennykadry: I asked a question that debrief and co haven't really answered.

How do you help an abused woman (for instance) transition into a woman of strength, what are the key factors you have to work on to get her there? It will take a while but do I be harsh(that role suits me well) or do I rub her hands and tell her it's okay when we all know it isn't?

For me, this is the woman's decision. Only her can decide to leave. You can only be there good or bad. You cannot try to make her reason or see reasons for leaving. Should she make the decision and regret, you will be to blame. Everyone has their light bulb moment, when you just know it is time to run. The sad thing is a lot of people don't make it out alive. If you are okay with being there and listening to the stories day in day out, then that is all you can do. smiley. Don't impose your opinion on another person's marriage. If she is rational she would know its all wrong. If she's not, she will stay right where she is and you will get tired at some point.

For strength: you can tell her everytime about her positives. She's beautiful, an inspiration, a good mother, hard working ... Etc. All the things that they may have said she wasn't. You can remind her of childhood days when you all were happy and free. And how happy she was. That you hope she gets to that place again. If she feels trapped she needs to empower herself.You can help her with this. Always make sure to ask her what she NEEDS right now or at this step. That she should think and you will be with her come what may. She also needs to consider dealing with a therapist to get through the issues. Because abuse is not a small matter. She may be dealing with a whole lot more like depression etc...

This is what I do for my friends in this situation.

1 Like

Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by freecocoa(f): 1:26am On Oct 29, 2012
Airpure:

My dear I am so anti violence that I pride myself in spotting it n running before it happens n to do dat u must be realistic n logical which is wat I am tryin to achieve.

Dat u got pregnant is NOT a just cause for abuse but for u to understand how men feel trapped n outsmarted n react in such situations to enable u avoid violence.

I might not make sense to u but I just want u to keep an open mind to other peoples opinions.

N thanks for not being ABUSIVE lik dat EFE something girl
Why should a man feel trapped cos a woman got pregnant for him? Isn't he the one who did the job? I don't want to digress but
a man who loves a woman won't change into a beast because she's with his child, that is not even a reason, menh I can't do justice to this your post now cos my eyes don dey close sef.
Seriously there's something wrong with your line of reasoning(no offense)
Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by Airpure(f): 1:26am On Oct 29, 2012
Efemena_xy:

And logic tells me that the combination of your terrible written grammar and somewhat inability to reason properly only proves that you aren't really intelligent are you?

~ So Cotton was under the spell of voodoo now, was she? Going by your "logic"

~ and she was burnt alive - to a crisp, abi??

Abeg, do us all a favour and carry your lopsided logical analysis to the Romance Section. Or better still, GO TO BED!!!

Abi you nor get work to attend to in the mornining??

EFE when I said BLACK MAGIC I meant on d man to make him be so Evil n I wasn't referring to cotton it was a general statement.

Ok now I get how u reason if some1 doesn't like ur post n conform to it d person should be ABUSED. Hmnnnnn
Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by TV01(m): 1:26am On Oct 29, 2012
So Aipure is justifying abuse? I certainly missed that. She didn't excuse it as far as I could make out, merely stated reasons why it's happened in her experience.

If what's required here is to crucify abusers to satisfy this "eminently balanced" discussion, it need'nt be 12 pages long.

Some would rather consider this end-to-end, seek some insight and proffer solutions at the root.

To say I met and married someone properly - this assumes you were mature enough to assess the marriage worthiness of a potential spouse and you ratified it with your family and/or other support groups - and yet before you reach mid-term pregnancy he is trying to "beat his child out of you", immolate you, dragging you across the floor by your hair and a host of other almost eye-wateringly brutal acts and the appropriate comment from a non-biased onlooker is too brand him/her a devil without query speaks volumes.

Simply labelling all who abuse devils or characterising someone who slaps once as an abuser is simplistic and simply says we are not really seeking solutions here. Interest in those that got out, without reviewing why/how they went in speaks volumes.

Best
TV

1 Like

Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by pak: 1:41am On Oct 29, 2012
@Airpure,

I just went through your profile and I checked your first post and still stand by the reason why I supported it.
I felt it was your own account of things, your own experience, which you had the right to air. I honestly didn't see or feel it was a response to anybody or aimed at countering anyone. Simply put it was your own survivor story . . . .
(considering that you had even attacked guitarlife earlier for daring to defend marital abuse, in fact you recommended a trophy for women who dared to come out of such relationships)

but your second post (that's causing the ruckus ), with what seems a direct attack on cotton is wrong on all counts. The assumptions were uncalled for.
(Why do I get this sneaky feeling that you wrote that post just to get back at her for first attacking your seemingly innocuous post detailing your own experience with spousal abuse and how u handled it, thereby opening you up to further attacks ).

Anyway, it will be terribly difficult to bring up any defence for those lines you typed, thank God some peeps are asleep already.
I think you should just do the right thing before morning.

1 Like

Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by EfemenaXY: 1:41am On Oct 29, 2012
freecocoa: Efemena leave our Romance section for us o, we are very intelligent people there o, the jokes section will be better.grin

Nah. Jokes section is quite dead, since that yeye Idowugbo absconded cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by EfemenaXY: 1:46am On Oct 29, 2012
pak: @Airpure,

I just went through your profile and I checked your first post and still stand by the reason why I supported it.
I felt it was your own account of things, your own experience, which you had the right to air. I honestly didn't see or feel it was a response to anybody or aimed at countering anyone. Simply put it was your own survivor story . . . .
(considering that you had even attacked guitarlife earlier for daring to defend marital abuse, in fact you recommended a trophy for women who dared to come out of such relationships)

but your second post (that's causing the ruckus ), with what seems a direct attack on cotton is wrong on all counts. The assumptions were uncalled for.
(Why do I get this sneaky feeling that you wrote that post just to get back at her for first attacking your seemingly innocuous post detailing your own experience with spousal abuse and how u handled it, thereby opening you up to further attacks ).

Anyway, it will be terribly difficult to bring up any defence for those lines you typed, thank God some peeps are asleep already.

Thank you.

And that's exactly what my beef with her is! I couldn't have put that any better.
Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by Airpure(f): 1:56am On Oct 29, 2012
ileobatojo:

In the same vein, you can also ask, how did the sweetheart woman become the verbally abusive devil after marriage when she is not mad ke? If you can excuse one's physical abuse saying that the other caused it, can you not also see that the other must have caused the verbal abuse as well? Why are you so willing to excuse one and not the other? Cos you did put verbal abuse among your list of reasons for physical abuse.

I think you also fail to understand something. Any one that is repeatedly beating up their spouse for whatever reason is pretty much "mad". No normal, sane person will resort to repeated beatings of a fellow adult as a means of dealing with whatever issue he feels is an underlying problem in marriage. So for example, if a man feels "trapped into a marriage by a pregnancy or married a girl about town unknowingly" and has now resorted to beating her up at every little opportunity, there is a screw loose in his head. Therefore, ultimately, in the grand scheme of things, it does not matter what the person did to cause it, the bottom line is the abuser has a problem that is manifesting in an unacceptable way. Again, I'm not talking of a one off episode like the slap your hubby gave you. I'm talking about people with a pattern.

You are also deliberately closing your eyes to the fact that majority of abusers don't really have any credible valid reasons. They are just severely controlling people with personality disorders. I think you need to read a bit about the psychology of abusers.

You ve raised a lot of Valid points n I apperciate d schooling.I am not for any form of excuse really I read the stories n tried to understand.n feel if some factors dat lead men to turn evil should be discussed so people in such situations understand n knw to manage it.
I mentioned d issue of baby be4 marriage cos ve seen cases where A lady gets pregnant cos she is desperate to get married d guy might even be dating some1 else but just had a fling wit d pregnant one. He is den forced to marry her even though he hasn't knwn her 4 long n doesn't love her.it happend to a lady I knw d guy never fails to remind her how she trapped him n there is always conflict in d home.in dis case I ve even adviced her to leave him.

On ur last paragraph its abit hard for me to believe there r abusers like that that r not under d influence of something. Such abusers can be easily spotted if a woman pays attn to d warning signs n doesn't rush in to marriage for d sake it.if one is already in it then divorce is OK.
Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by Nobody: 1:56am On Oct 29, 2012

Yep. Classic example of blaming the victim, with a couple of digs at Cotton thrown in. Not cool.
Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by TV01(m): 2:02am On Oct 29, 2012
Even labelling abusers "subtly mad", misses the point. There are mad men all over town, who would marry an obviously mad person and expect sane behaviour?

Likewise, a person who is not mature enough or suitable for a marriage relationship will possibly manifest that in a number of ways, one of which may be physical abuse. Your first point of duty before entering into marriage is to ensure you are and then your potential spouse is.

The reasons cited by Airpure are some of the shallow reasonings of the "not ready/right" person who unfortunately becomes a spouse.

Now, it would be rude of me to visit JK' thread without a salute of sorts and since JK has been firing off questions, perhaps I'll do the same and at the same time close on the "college girl" scenario in my second post.

JK, you mentioned a situation concerning your sister earlier on. I saw solution - at onset - written all over that. Here's my summary, please correct me if I'm wrong;

1. Your sister was dating/seeing a guy
2. He said something "off"
3. Your sister took it back to your dad/fmily/primary support group
4. The experience/maturity there saw the danger signs that your sister may or may not have
5. They made a call on that basis
6. Your sister made a call
7. relationship over.

I infer as follows;

Your sister, possibly around college age give or tak a few, was effectively submitting herself to familial authority. Early onset "nonsense-talk", let alone "full-blown abuse", was nipped in the bud. Sister remained subject and eventually married (or will) a worthy husband withe support of her family and having grown in understanding of what to look for. Please don't take offense, but l'd hazard a guess that intimacy was not a factor? Otherwise it's hard to decide and act to end a relationship that sharpish. l've been there.

l'm sure l don't have to highlight and detail the differences between this scenario and the 3 examples l cited earlier?

For those that are interested, here were my questions on the earlier thread l mentioned.

The term "adult" is being used quite a bit in this discussion and typically to confer rights to the 20 year old daughter. Just curious, if a two year old fed, clothed and housed by her parents is subject, why is a 20 year old similarly cared for not? These "adult rights", do they not come with responsibilities? Or are they purely a function of age regardless of the care or provision of parents.

Similarly, the word "control" is being used in a pejorative sense. Why shouldn't her parents have control if they have the responsibility? Agree it may be being miss-applied in this instance, but the fact remains, they are still her parents and still sacrificing ad providing for her. Is all control ceded to her just because she turned 20?

And any takers for these two previously asked questions, particularly from people who live "faith- based" lives?

Are we now saying that;

1. It is unrealistic to expect to our children to remain obedient and accountable regards their intimate physical relationships - even whilst they remain under our roofs and our responsibility - once they reach a certain age or level of maturity?

2. It is now all but unnachievable to ask/expect/demand that our children remain chaste before marriage? In fact, it seems the "pragmatic" thing to do is to actually prep them for intimate activity and hope they don't get unwanted pregnancies or catch STD's?

Best
TV

...touche BB
Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by Airpure(f): 2:02am On Oct 29, 2012
Efemena_xy:

Thank you.

And that's exactly what my beef with her is! I couldn't have put that any better.

Atleast now u ve been schooled on how to communicate better. tongue
Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by EfemenaXY: 2:07am On Oct 29, 2012
** Ignores the dim-wit above me **
Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by Busybody2(f): 2:30am On Oct 29, 2012

I could have sworn it started with the first post, but hey what do I know lipsrsealed

TV01: So Aipure is justifying abuse? I certainly missed that. She didn't excuse it as far as I could make out, merely stated reasons why it's happened in her experience.

If what's required here is to crucify abusers to satisfy this "eminently balanced" discussion, it need'nt be 12 pages long.

Some would rather consider this end-to-end, seek some insight and proffer solutions at the root.

To say I met and married someone properly - this assumes you were mature enough to assess the marriage worthiness of a potential spouse and you ratified it with your family and/or other support groups - and yet before you reach mid-term pregnancy he is trying to "beat his child out of you", immolate you, dragging you across the floor by your hair and a host of other almost eye-wateringly brutal acts and the appropriate comment from a non-biased onlooker is too brand him/her a devil without query speaks volumes.

Simply labelling all who abuse devils or characterising someone who slaps once as an abuser is simplistic and simply says we are not really seeking solutions here. Interest in those that got out, without reviewing why/how they went in speaks volumes.

Best
TV

Pak would do well to pay good attention to your first paragraph. That's what I believe happened the second time too. It was still a generic post like her first post directed mainly to unmarried people and not to anyone on this thread in particular, and in the second post addressed to Cotton, there was a strong pervasive element of "hey this is the reasons I hear when I hear stories like this, care to share yours Cotton" . . .I didn't detect any attempt by airpure to . . . jeez words fail me. . .

Wow, Maclatunji's last comment before he left?! this family section was that people find it hard to come here to post cos they fear being attacked and muffled, and I didn't bother to respond because I thought it was just the ranting of his old fuddy duddy self. . .

I took two months outta NL, only been back two days, hmmm, wow, this is disheartening to say the least. . .and airpure has been left floundering and flailing, veering offtangent talking about black magic, et al. . . Heck even the English who invented English Language recognises such shortcoming as dyslexia and makes allowance for this. . .na wa o, na real wa. . .

Sorry I went off on one, as for your last paragraph, the OP has started winding down into "solution mode", as can be seen from her last post, so its not a thread about "men - all that is evil" so please hang around, keep the faith and don't lose hope and remain blessed.
Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by slimyem: 3:00am On Oct 29, 2012
People who want to talk about "Warning signs to detect a potential abuser" or "Situations that lead to abuse and how it can be avoided" should open a separate thread for that...which is basically much of what Airpure and Guitarlife have been dwelling around.
This thread is about people who have been abused and got out alive telling their stories...so others can learn from it.
Lets stop confusing issues unnecessarily.

4 Likes

Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by Nobody: 3:42am On Oct 29, 2012
^^^^ thank you. If debrief and co had ignored guitar4life from the onset, this thread would have still remained on the right track. My post before this was (if I can remember) asked in the first page. I have questions I wanno ask and my plan was to take one step at a time I.e when and how it started, during the whole abuse process, when they Came out of it and MOST INPORTANTLY HOW THEY CAME OUT OF IT ALIVE. What they did when they found out that it was just them against the whole world, what they did when people called them losers, what they had to do to sustain themselves financially, how they coped intimate wise. Some people find it difficult leaving because of the great sex, disgusting but true. Somebody but went back because of it. I don't know it all and I came here to learn from these people.

Gosh I could go on and on
Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by Busybody2(f): 3:54am On Oct 29, 2012
slimyem: People who want to talk about "Warning signs to detect a potential abuser" or "Situations that lead to abuse and how it can be avoided" should open a separate thread for that...which is basically much of what Airpure and Guitarlife have been dwelling around.
This thread is about people who have been abused and got out alive telling their stories...so others can learn from it.
Lets stop confusing issues unnecessarily.

JUST THINKING OUT LOUDLY, AS USUAL. Lemme break it down with this pretense role play.

TOPIC : Men/Women who abuses are monsters

GUEST X,Y,Z : For those who don't know us and our mission, we are. . .

GUEST X,Y,Z : This is what our prospective spouses/abusers did. . .

GUEST X,Y,Z : This was how we got out. . .

AUDIENCE A : Wow.

GUEST X,Y,Z : Yes o, thanks

AUDIENCE B : What brave people you are

GUEST X,Y,Z : Thank you, but na God o,

AUDIENCE C : Those abusers are animals you were lucky to get out alive

GUEST X,Y,Z : Hmmm, my eyes saw hell

AUDIENCE D : Thank God you survived

GUEST X,Y,Z : It was indeed a miracle, thank you

AUDIENCE E : You are an inspiration

GUEST X,Y,Z : We are sharing our stories to let women know. . .

AUDIENCE F : How do we know what to look out for to avoid falling into the same pitfall

GUEST X,Y,Z : fight mode activated No comment, go and open your own thread if you want to find out the answer to that. END OF DISCUSSION. THE SHOW IS OVER

Is this a pity party thread? NO

Are Singles excluded from this thread? NO

What niggling questions are singles likely to ask if not this type of questions huh?

Like Fela would sing "Oro pesi je o oro di hmmm"
Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by Nobody: 3:54am On Oct 29, 2012
Now, going back a year or two ago on Nairaland, a female nairalander started a thread because her bf called her fat, his friends called her fat ad he kept hitting on her weight. I remember telling her then to run with her bathroom slippers on her head but she chose to make excuses for him.....she believed she was over weight and bla bla bla. I said it on this thread that If only the abusee's would stop making excuses for the abusers........ How many years later she came back and opened another thread. Google the ID @fantababy and read her story. She is now the preggers woman whose husband couldn't give a flying fck about. The preggers woman whose husband could care less if she'd eaten or not.

I have a sister whose bf was talking about her weight and I based my answers on @fantababy's thread in the romance section on what happened to my sister and what our parents told us that he will not stop. A man kept calling her skinny and she went to a man like her bf to ask for his opinion. How can a father spend so much time and energy in telling his children how beautiful they are only or one psycho to come and call him a liar. Do things for the right reasons not because one cow is forcing you to do it.

My sister is happily married for years to someone else and it made me wonder, what it would have been like if she ended up with that eediot. You know what? My parents and herself did not take that chance. They chose not to wait around and see what would have happened.

Did she have s3x with him? I don't know and honestly do not care to know. Her personal life remains personal

Ps I'm mobile

1 Like

Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by slimyem: 4:08am On Oct 29, 2012
Busy_body:

Lemme break it down with this pretense role play.

HOST: Men/Women who abuses are monsters

GUEST X,Y,Z: For those who don't know us and our mission, we are. . .

GUEST X,Y,Z: This is what our prospective spouses/abusers did. . .

GUEST X,Y,Z: This was how we got out. . .

AUDIENCE A: Wow.

GUEST X,Y,Z: Yes o, thanks

AUDIENCE B: What brave people you are

GUEST X,Y,Z: Thank you, but na God o,

AUDIENCE C: Those abusers are animals you were lucky to get out alive

GUEST X,Y,Z: Hmmm, my eyes saw hell

AUDIENCE D: Thank God you survived

GUEST X,Y,Z: It was indeed a miracle, thank you

AUDIENCE E: You are an inspiration

GUEST X,Y,Z: We are sharing our stories to let women know. . .

AUDIENCE F: How do we know what to look out for to avoid falling into the same pitfall

GUEST X,Y,Z: fight mode activated No comment, go and open your own thread if you want to find out the answer to that. END OF DISCUSSION.

Is this a pity party thread? NO

Are Singles excluded from this thread? NO

What niggling questions are singles likely to ask if not this type of questions huh?

Oro pesi je. . .
Singles that asked straight questions had their questions answered as appropriate e.g freecocoa.
Guitarlife and Airpure weren't particularly asking questions like you inferred in your analysis.Their posts sounded more like a separate crusade judging and part-blaming the guests and inadvertently preaching the gospel of how to recognise potential abusers in the course of courtship for singles which is a deviation from the initial aim of this thread.
Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by Busybody2(f): 4:43am On Oct 29, 2012
slimyem: Singles that asked straight questions had their questions answered as appropriate e.g freecocoa.
Guitarlife and Airpure weren't particularly asking questions like you infering in your analysis.Their posts sounded more like a separate crusade judging and part-blaming the guests and inadvertently preaching the gospel of how to recognise potential abusers in the course of dating which is a deviation from the initial aim of this thread.

Guitarlife's post rubbed people (THE SO-CALLED CABALS) the wrong way because he started off eulogising Johndoe a fellow anti-cabalite, this has already been addressed a few times on here. I am sure you have heard rumours about this CABAL and I bet it wasn't nice stuff. So anyone who unwittingly gets roped into this group reserves the right to demand for any anti-cabalite's head on a plate. . .The rest of his submission was valid and relevant.

Airpure's post was addressed to singles regarding what to watch out for before taking the leap. Is it 100% foolproof? Who knows but she deffo didn't come across as someone with a godlike complex, all she was just doing was contributing to a thread.

As for stipulating and mandating that only straight questions should be asked:
* What is wrong in asking questions in pursuit of knowledge so as to know how to avert such in future?

* What determines this range and angle at which a question is no longer straight?

* What percentage is skewed where?

* How can this be only about those going through it which ineffectively is the same thing as saying "sorry this crusade and campaign is not set up to help you whilst you are single, only approach us when you are married and in deep shite

And how can such innocuous comment as "please share/how does one avoid this kind of abuse" be a deviation
Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by Nobody: 5:07am On Oct 29, 2012
@ Busy Body,
I dont know about Airpure but let me talk about Guiterlife, He came on asked some what derogatory questions specific ones and since there were not accusations I answered him, He proceeded to say "He gives up and must be demon possessed". I proceeded to tell him that people make wrong mistakes it doesnt make them bad people. I have stated so many times the reasons why the abuse started, I assumed me and Guiterlife had settled issues only for him to come back the next page and say I am probably slow and If I was not I must have ignored signs. What signs? A man who I regarded as a brother, who my father informally adopted and practically raised, someone who was with me every step of my life cheering me on, How would I know that a few millions will send him back to a father he had sworn not to be like?
As for knowing the signs, a lot of people here have addressed that even though none specifically, Jenny didnt ask, and most of those who raised it did so in accusation. I have scolded cotton here for being defensive but I understand, when you divorce you have to answer this questions over and over not questions but accusations as if to say you were blind and desperate so even when you make a mistake you cannot leave you must stay and die.
I for one from my experience cannot rightly speak of warning signs but as I grow and see relationships I notice some.
Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by Busybody2(f): 5:09am On Oct 29, 2012
I have been frequenting this section for about 2 years now, I can reel off the name of like 20 Nairalanders who have posted similar ordeal as this, off the top of my head right now, I was online the day Debrief posted her story originally, I was online the day Cotton posted her story originally, some of them might not have seen this thread, whilst some might just decide to stay away.

When I saw this thread, a particular lady's name came to my mind because she recently came again yearning to get married again, seeking what she needs to do in future relationship and asking if it was her niceness that led to her being abused because there was nothing she didn't do for this her husband who turned violent even whilst she was pregnant, leading to her escaping with her baby. . . This questions being posed would be cathartic for such lady as it would help her in future. . .

So who knows if for everyone posting, 5 is reading offline breaking down in tears, unable to compose themselves to come and tell their own stories, wondering where it all went wrong. . .
Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by Nobody: 5:20am On Oct 29, 2012
@Jenny, Only a woman can find her inner strength herself and say "enough", if you try to do that for her you are most likely going to be tagged a home wrecker and even reported by this woman to her husband. Most times women in this situation prefer pity parties as we have a society that prefers a suffering wife than one who takes charge, women are meant to be docile and take whatever they get, resorting to perpetual prayers and fasting.
The moment a woman tells herself it is over, when she gets the tiniest bit of validation she is out, or will take charge of her life.
I have friends who we were in the same boat, I am the only one who left, they have remained years on, with black eyes under shades yet holding hands and kissing in public, With these friends I notice all they want is an occasional "Your husband is a monster" "sorry my dear", I have been banned from most of their homes.
What I am saying is that, you can help her bring out her inner strength only when she is ready to find it herself.
At the end of the day, no one can love you more than you love yourself.
Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by Busybody2(f): 5:21am On Oct 29, 2012
debrief08: @ Busy Body,
I dont know about Airpure but let me talk about Guiterlife, He came on asked some what derogatory questions specific ones and since there were not accusations I answered him, He proceeded to say "He gives up and must be demon possessed". I proceeded to tell him that people make wrong mistakes it doesnt make them bad people. I have stated so many times the reasons why the abuse started, I assumed me and Guiterlife had settled issues only for him to come back the next page and say I am probably slow and If I was not I must have ignored signs. What signs? A man who I regarded as a brother, who my father informally adopted and practically raised, someone who was with me every step of my life cheering me on, How would I know that a few millions will send him back to a father he had sworn not to be like?
As for knowing the signs, a lot of people here have addressed that even though none specifically, Jenny didnt ask, and most of those who raised it did so in accusation. I have scolded cotton here for being defensive but I understand, when you divorce you have to answer this questions over and over not questions but accusations as if to say you were blind and desperate so even when you make a mistake you cannot leave you must stay and die.
I for one from my experience cannot rightly speak of warning signs but as I grow and see relationships I notice some.

Compiling the response to this. BRB
Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by Nobody: 5:23am On Oct 29, 2012
Busy_body:

Compiling the response to this. BRB
Lol, Make I go was my eye wait. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by Busybody2(f): 6:27am On Oct 29, 2012
debrief08: @ Busy Body,

I was around when you posted your story, I even still have bits of it that you haven't mentioned on this thread floating somewhere in my head. You know this CABAL thing is meaningless and it was something Richvkunt started to scatter this section. How many times have you seen Chaircover advocate divorce? NOT ONCE, so if she was appointed by Richvkunt as the head of the so called pro-divorce Cabal group who alledgedly only preaches divorce, doesn't this tell you that Richvkunt is just pulling people's legs to catch fun, expensive fun at that.

Asides from his puerile rant as an anti-cabalite, Guitarlife was asking those questions which you politely and respectfully answered to see if he could find out why you went through such, and when he couldn't decode the reason, he threw in the towel saying your ex is demon possessed. And I saw your post where you rightly told him off. Then he responded, and some wires got crossed leading to you thinking he called you slow, I am not 100% sure here but their was a lot of speculative hypothesis from him, which you thought he was saying to put you down, and he came back to reply that you had "read" him wrongly.

With regards to the "signs" in your relationship, your ex's Dad from your account was a feckless philanderer, a womaniser, etc, which is not obviously a good role model for anyone let alone a child. As children, our parents are supposed to love us unconditionally and protect us, but your ex's Dad wasn't a permanent fixture in his life, he had a very traumatic childhood, watching not only his Dad mess up his own life but also put his Mum through hell for 40 years. They might have been rich, they might have provided for him materially, but there was no emotional and psychological support from anyone. As a child expecting unconditional love from his parent, and not getting it, he would have undergone a vast range of rollercoaster of emotion ranging from feeling abandoned, discarded, bereft, lonely, marginalised, disorientated, etc. And although Mum too would have tried with the little she could, the role of Dad is irreplaceable. But one cannot imagine the searingly painful awful feeling of betrayal he must have felt towards his Dad. With this kind of fraught and messy childhood, there would have been a time his self-esteem hit rock bottom too several times.

And then he met you, an angel sent from above, he felt secure and safe with you, and found you trustworthy enough to confide his vulnerabilities and past to you. You never judged him, accepted him and got your Dad to take him on as his son. And he vowed to you never to turn out like his Dad. Although he would still have been nursing a reconcilliation with his own Dad where everything would be fine and Dad would be a good Dad again.

You got married, settled down into a routine, and then the babies that are naturally supposed to start popping out are nowhere to be found. Now your Hubby could have picked up one of his Dad's vices, but he didn't, instead hoping that when he gets married he will be the best Dad to his kid and never let them face what his own Dad put him through. So imagine these babies that he had such grand dreams for not coming, imagine the whirlwind of emotion he would have had to endure all over again, imagine the thoughts that if my Father a wicked man can have kids yet I love kids and can't have mine, imagine the renewed profound sense of loss and bewilderment. . .and then he unfairly and cruelly turns on you . . .

Now in the midst of this, his Daddy reaches out to him because he is now rich, but as far as your ex is concerned, this is a chance for him to burn bridges with his Dad and reconcile, no matter the cost, to fill the void in his heart. He starts hanging out with Dad to feel like one of the boys again, cos at least this way his manhood can't be questioned. And when you started kicking a fuss, he probably tells you to leave him alone as you have nothing to offer him as a barren. In trying to suck up to his Dad to let Daddy see that he has arrived, he tells Daddy you are bugging him, and Daddy naturally tells him to "man up" and not let debrief walk all over you. You turn to your friends, families and parents, but you are told to endure that weeping may come for a night blah, blah, blah, in the end, your Dad came to rescue his little baby girl when he couldn't bear it anymore. . .

And because God knows His own, He was there and saw all the tears that you shed. . . He granted you the man of your dreams, God sent you your own angel - your Husband. God gave you a man who refused to take no for an answer and saw you as the woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with and pursued you relentlessly. You must have told him during dating that you couldn't get pregnant yet this did not put him off and he still loved you to take the risk with you, and miraculously you had no problem getting pregnant for rightaway.

Your case was heavily influenced by the parents. And the advent of his unstable Dad into his life again distabilised your family. Your staunch Christian Mum who still doesn't talk to you because you got divorced and remarried, too didn't help matter. Then you had all those extended members of your family who told you to stay and bear it. Left to you, you would have walked, but the decision was out of your hands due to the judgemental Nigerian Society you live in. But thank God again, for your Daddy, for your ex's Mum. She has been through the same path you have been and walked the walk too, hence became your kindred spirit.

So it wasn't you, you are not to blame for anything, it was your ex, and he was the victim of his upbringing which had had too much hold on him. And it can't be easy for him too. You are indeed a rare gem for reaching out to him and not pushing him away when he needed you the most. But most importantly, cherish your Husband cos he is a very very very good person too, how many man can do what he has done/is doing? Please take very good care of your Husband, your crown jewel and I wish you eternal marital bliss.

1 Like

Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by Nobody: 6:28am On Oct 29, 2012
i have been told to ignore so now i just dey sit down dey look

girl about town? well it takes one to know one - as u dey try and point one finger at me 4 are pointing back at you, like WTF oooooooooooooo o just dey sit down they look and source red paint on ebay for my shoes me and debrief have a parry next yr to attend
Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by Nobody: 8:29am On Oct 29, 2012
jennykadry: I asked a question that debrief and co haven't really answered.

How do you help an abused woman (for instance) transition into a woman of strength, what are the key factors you have to work on to get her there? It will take a while but do I be harsh(that role suits me well) or do I rub her hands and tell her it's okay when we all know it isn't?

I can answer that question smiley

From what I have experienced, people react to situations differently and even though for example, they are all suffering from the same domestic abuse, the detail of the abuse and the persons "makeup" will be different so each situation has to handled differently.

So while some will need a swift kick up the backside, some will need to have their hand held to get through things.

Many of these situations are caused by a faulty upbringing and mindset. I have seen scores of women who knowingly just pick and marry the last man that toasts them because they are over 30 even though they know the man has 1001 flaws. Just this weekend a younger friend of mine reported to me that she came home unexpectedly and met another girl in her fiances house. I was still ranting but in less than 12 hours later they have settled and they are "back in love again" this isnt the first time that he has cheated on her so if they do marry it is almost certain that he will do it over and over again.
Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by Nobody: 9:24am On Oct 29, 2012
SIGNS THAT YOU’RE IN AN ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP

Your Inner Thoughts and Feelings
Do you:
feel afraid of your partner much of the time?
avoid certain topics out of fear of angering your partner?
feel that you can’t do anything right for your partner?
believe that you deserve to be hurt or mistreated?
wonder if you’re the one who is crazy?
feel emotionally numb or helpless?

Your Partner’s Belittling Behavior
Does your partner:
humiliate or yell at you?
criticize you and put you down?
treat you so badly that you’re embarrassed for your friends or family to see?
ignore or put down your opinions or accomplishments?
blame you for their own abusive behavior?
see you as property or a sex object, rather than as a person?

Your Partner’s Violent Behavior or Threats
Does your partner:
have a bad and unpredictable temper?
hurt you, or threaten to hurt or kill you?
threaten to take your children away or harm them?
threaten to commit suicide if you leave?
force you to have sex?
destroy your belongings?

Your Partner’s Controlling Behavior
Does your partner:
act excessively jealous and possessive?
control where you go or what you do?
keep you from seeing your friends or family?
limit your access to money, the phone, or the car?
constantly check up on you?

It Is Still Abuse If . . .
The incidents of physical abuse seem minor when compared to those you have read about, seen on television or heard other women talk about. There isn’t a “better” or “worse” form of physical abuse; you can be severely injured as a result of being pushed, for example.

The incidents of physical abuse have only occurred one or two times in the relationship. Studies indicate that if your spouse/partner has injured you once, it is likely he will continue to physically assault you.

The physical assaults stopped when you became passive and gave up your right to express yourself as you desire, to move about freely and see others, and to make decisions. It is not a victory if you have to give up your rights as a person and a partner in exchange for not being assaulted!

There has not been any physical violence. Many women are emotionally and verbally assaulted. This can be as equally frightening and is often more confusing to try to understand.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/domestic_violence_abuse_types_signs_causes_effects.htm

Herein lies the problem most people have with most of the 'let's look at it from every angle' crew who have focused more on the victim not being perfect and must have done something wrong.
It is still abuse if
The physical assaults stopped when you became passive and gave up your right to express yourself as you desire, to move about freely and see others, and to make decisions. It is not a victory if you have to give up your rights as a person and a partner in exchange for not being assaulted!
Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by obowunmi(m): 9:29am On Oct 29, 2012
There are men that pretend while dating the women and as soon as they've trapped a woman into marriage, their satanic behavior comes out.

I don't think there are warning signs except that women follow their instincts and intuition.

1 Like

Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by obowunmi(m): 9:35am On Oct 29, 2012
I know a woman, her husband was nice while they were dating. When he married her, the abuse began. The physical abuse stopped when he got "born again" - he abuses her mentally and psychologically until now.

She however goes around town laying claim to the idea that she's been married for "35 years" - women her age don't have husbands, blaah, blaah, blaah---she has three sons, and the family is rich. Imagine if those boys get married? Unless they make that conscious error not to repeat the mistakes of their father, their future wives are in deep trouble.

Children are products of their childhood environment. Many women will automatically to those boys because they are rich but the reality maybe otherwise.

1 Like

Re: Debrief, cotton101 and those that came out alive. Got A Few Questions For You. by Nobody: 9:39am On Oct 29, 2012
TV01:

Ok, thanks for your response. I've a clearer idea of your POV, although you haven't stated what your Worldview is based on. I have my thoughts, but I leave you to confirm that or otherwise as you so choose. I would question a lot of those assertions, but do not want to digress to far.

Best
TV

www.nairaland.com/1087295/tv01-meet-me-here-discuss

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (32)

How Do I Get My Wife To Pay Back Money I Loaned To Her? / 10 Reasons Nigerian Men Run From Marriage - Vanguard / "Should I Use 'Do Me I Do You' To Deal With My Husband?"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 164
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.