Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,827 members, 7,876,126 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 10:28 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (471356 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by mufasa(m): 1:03am On Dec 20, 2008
bigrovar:

the ironic in ur statement is striking. first of all its the person who has internet that would need flash, why would you need flash is u don't have an interrnet connection, and between adobe just announce the first flash palyer that support 64bit os even on windows both xp and vista 64 bit lack a native flash player, http://www.google.com/search?q=flash+player+for+vista+64+bit
so ubuntu is not to blame, you should have knen what u were getting into before using a 64 bit OS like i said i my earlier post , there lack supports compared to 32bit.

and ur statement about uubuntu without internet, well same goes for windows, infact its worse with windows, in case u installed a laptop something u got second hand without driver cd , good luck to u, were u you find the drivers from, were do u find codecs for dvd,avi, mp4 etc, who do u get pdf reader from, say u want to burn an iso on a fresh windows, were would u download it from, ? ubuntu a freshly installed ubuntu is more functional than a freshly installed windows xp or vista, because with ubuntu, basic tools like office,cd burner,photo editor, a chat client that support most protocols,pdf reader, come out of the box, sure u would need to download and install codecs to play mp3 just as i need to download a codec to play my ogg or aac files in windows, dude ubuntu is about a community , we all come together to make ubuntu, if its not working for u , then use what does, and stop spreading FUD

Guy why all this vitriol? All i did was to share what i was going thru and you ve started yarning like this. Na wa o. So much for the community o. Well if thats how you run a community MIsta then you aint doing a great job at it. You are trying but try to encourage the newbies and don't push us away. Well it can be frustrating when you don't get things done as easily as you envisaged. I'm here with ubuntu and i will use it till i'm tired and move to something new.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 9:20am On Dec 20, 2008
Guy why all this vitriol? All i did was to share what i was going through and you ve started yarning like this. Na wa o. So much for the community o. Well if thats how you run a community MIsta then you aint doing a great job at it
First to make one point clear ,  am not running or forming or building any community,  am already part of the FOSS community. so get that clear ,  most of what i do here is just to bring the idea of FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) to people make them know that there is an alternative, 

You are trying but try to encourage the newbies and don't push us away
talk about helping newbies i have paid my dues ,  i have written lots and lots of pages on FOSS and i have personally installed it on more than 500 people FOC ,  but you see i can't spoon feed you u have got to make your own effort. we have google, ubuntuforums, and thousands of documentation about linux,  all you have to do is try and do a little research ,  that was what i did,  so i know and have an idea of what am getting into. you installed a 64bit ubuntu so naturally u should have known that it get lesser support compared to the 32bit,  ,  if you didnt and got beaten then put the blame where it belongs.

Well it can be frustrating when you don't get things done as easily as you envisaged.
  again never said it was going to be easy ,   the problem many people is that there expect linux to be like windows,  its not, linux is not windows is not windows is not windows. it doesnt means its harder than windows ,  its just different from what you used too ,  so if you have have done you home work then the transition would be easy,   

I'm here with ubuntu and i will use it till i'm tired and move to something new.
good all you now need is the right attitude ,  know that me and thousand of other people involved in FOSS do it for the love and fun we get from it ,  not for the money,  we need you to if there is a problem ,  file a bug at launchpad ,  or ask that is what makes FOSS unique its free and participatory ,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by mufasa(m): 1:05pm On Dec 21, 2008
bigrovar:

First to make one point clear ,  am not running or forming or building any community,  am already part of the FOSS community. so get that clear ,  most of what i do here is just to bring the idea of FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) to people make them know that there is an alternative, 
talk about helping newbies i have paid my dues ,  i have written lots and lots of pages on FOSS and i have personally installed it on more than 500 people FOC ,  but you see i can't spoon feed you u have got to make your own effort. we have google, ubuntuforums, and thousands of documentation about linux,  all you have to do is try and do a little research ,  that was what i did,  so i know and have an idea of what am getting into. you installed a 64bit ubuntu so naturally u should have known that it get lesser support compared to the 32bit,  ,  if you didnt and got beaten then put the blame where it belongs.

again never said it was going to be easy ,   the problem many people is that there expect linux to be like windows,  its not, linux is not windows is not windows is not windows. it doesnt means its harder than windows ,  its just different from what you used too ,  so if you have have done you home work then the transition would be easy,   good all you now need is the right attitude ,  know that me and thousand of other people involved in FOSS do it for the love and fun we get from it ,  not for the money,  we need you to if there is a problem ,  file a bug at launchpad ,  or ask that is what makes FOSS unique its free and participatory ,   

Well nuff said matey, just don't be to confrontational. I never laid a blame on anyone, using a pc aint supposes to be like rocket science you know. Myself and a million out there having little snags here and there cant all be inept you dig. Well i'm getting the hang and one day will be weaned off you or is it "your spoon" Enjoy weekend and don't think i'm letting you off, any wahala i run into i must ask you for solution since you ve installed for over 500 peeps.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 10:44pm On Dec 21, 2008
Well nuff said matey, just don't be to confrontational.
  when does pointing out  a misconception become a confrontation ,  dude the world doesnt revolve round you ,   
I never laid a blame on anyone
never said you did because even if u wanted you have no one to blame ,  ,
using a pc aint supposes to be like rocket science you know.
nope its not and that is why i stopped using windows   
Myself and a million out there having little snags here and there can't all be inept you dig
.  that is not for me to say ,  but you cant compare apples to oranges,  get a computer that ships with linux and see if u have any nag ,  but when u installed linux on a computer built for windows be happy that it works but with little nag here and there ,  nags that can be fixed from a little googling or posting in the right forums. dude that is not rocket science its common sense,   
Well i'm getting the hang and one day will be weaned off you or is it "your spoon"
  my point is that day should be today , now! . there are great resource on line that would accelerate your emaciation from bigbrovar ,  just use them ,  google is really your friend,  so spend more time with it       
Enjoy weekend
  yeah iam ,  testing out fedora 10 and its pretty awesome 
and don't think i'm letting you off, any wahala i run into i must ask you for solution since you ve installed for over 500 peeps.
i will try my best ,  am always open to help but its not a guarantee that i will be available  when u need me ,  again google and ubuntuforums would be your best bet,   beside you are not inept or are you
Re: Ubuntu Linux by mufasa(m): 12:53pm On Dec 22, 2008
bigbrova ooooo, you sha must always yarn, nice one.

ok lets get back to business, pls with the sudo gedit thingy for setting up dial up accts can i have multiple accounts? like if i have starcomms and mtn modems now. I noticed that i have to edit that text document (to change username and password) all the time. Kppp doesnt want to work. When i click on new account it just hangs and does nothing from that spot.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 2:31pm On Dec 22, 2008
mufasa:

bigbrova ooooo, you sha must always yarn, nice one.

ok lets get back to business, please with the sudo gedit thingy for setting up dial up accts can i have multiple accounts? like if i have starcomms and mtn modems now. I noticed that i have to edit that text document (to change username and password) all the time. Kppp doesnt want to work. When i click on new account it just hangs and does nothing from that spot.

hmm the kppp thing is probably a bug. hmm have you tried gnome-ppp its does the same thing , you can hook one network to kppp and hook the other to gnome ppp, here is a trick , once you have gnome ppp installed start it and , now copy the wvdial conf file for the network you want to assign to gnome ppp to .wvconf in your home directory ( its a hidden file so you have to go to view then check "show hidden file" in your browser. hence once you start gnome-ppp again it should connect with the network assigned to it. hope it works.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by mufasa(m): 8:45am On Dec 23, 2008
i'm downloading the gnome ppp now. Will let you know how that goes.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DoubleN(m): 11:44pm On Dec 24, 2008
Still yet to resolve my Issue, sad
Re: Ubuntu Linux by kolexinfos: 4:42pm On Jan 03, 2009
@chxta

Please how can I get a copy of Ubuntu from you I really need it badly.I am resident in Lagos around Okota I can come and pick it up anywhere in Lagos.

Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by mimohmi(m): 11:41pm On Jan 03, 2009

Hi All,

Can you guys just calm down. We are suppose to learn or share our experiences
here and not to insult each other. No man is an Island. Though thanks for the
guys that have kept the thread running, wish your all the best you wish
yourselves this new year.

Re: Ubuntu Linux by nariato(m): 3:45am On Jan 04, 2009
@Double N

From the tiny screenshot you posted, it seems like you're using Microsoft Virtual Server. I'd like to suggest an open source alternative, called VirtualBox.

Get it here: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/2.1.0/VirtualBox-2.1.0-41146-Win_x86.msi

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 10:31pm On Jan 11, 2009
hi bigrovar. i received a free copy of ubuntu 8.10 cd from canonical, i tried installing it but was not successful. i get this can not access cd message. there is an option to install ubuntu like an app in windows. i have a vista home premium laptop. what could be the problem?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 11:44pm On Jan 11, 2009
did you try installing it on windows using wubi installer? or did you try a dualboot
Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 12:21am On Jan 12, 2009
bigrovar:

did you try installing it on windows using wubi installer? or did you try a dualboot
one option in the installation cd is to install ubuntu in windows. it automatically installs wubi if you chose this option before the unbundling of the software on the cd. i have wubi installed on my system.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dammit4u(m): 12:44pm On Jan 13, 2009
@all i just install ubuntu nd i don't know my way around. all my files nd folders copied 4rm windows didn't open, it's writin error occured while loading d archive. pls help me out i don't won't 2 go back 2 windows. will be expecting ur replies.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 6:04pm On Jan 13, 2009
Howdy everybody, i will advise everybody to be patient and the noobs should not expect the geeks to perform miracles for them. Truely speaking if you're online count your self lucky and get down with google and lots of communities outthere. don't fold your hand and expect people to help you help your selfs.
When i started with redhat 9 i have no regular internet even now buti tried to solve my proplems before turning to online resouces.

Got dv6700 sometimes last year AMD64, ATHEROS WIFI, NVIDIA GPU and i saw hell but today am smiling because windows is not an issue for me.

Bottom line theres always a ready solution with you waiting for ever for service packs

NOTE: for those you installed or wanting to install ubuntu with the kernel 2.6.27 on HP or COMPAQ if you're dual booting with vista don't restart shutdown propely from vista then on it then proceed to boot fro live cd live cd if you did not press any key the progress bar will not move, just do it like that till you boot to windows and install normally then boot ubuntu for the first time and repeat the pressing of any key on the keyboard then edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and look for quite slash and append acpi=noirq at the front to look like this quiet splash acpi=noirq. Sorryam not good in writing and i hope it helps anybody with that problem. Cheerio

The guy that has Atheros wifi and uses linux mint the atheros wifi is included check /usr/lib/mintwifi/wifidriver or so i cant remember but i will check and post it and if youcan locate it yourself just navigate from the windows wireless driver application and you'll see one textfile that ends with inf and click install but i will check and see cause am browsing from my school cafe. Cheerio
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 11:18am On Jan 14, 2009
esquire:

Howdy everybody, i will advise everybody to be patient and the noobs should not expect the geeks to perform miracles for them. Truely speaking if you're online count your self lucky and get down with google and lots of communities outthere. don't fold your hand and expect people to help you help your selfs.
When i started with redhat 9 i have no regular internet even now buti tried to solve my proplems before turning to online resouces.

Got dv6700 sometimes last year AMD64, ATHEROS WIFI, NVIDIA GPU and i saw hell but today am smiling because windows is not an issue for me.

Bottom line theres always a ready solution with you waiting for ever for service packs

NOTE: for those you installed or wanting to install ubuntu with the kernel 2.6.27 on HP or COMPAQ if you're dual booting with vista don't restart shutdown propely from vista then on it then proceed to boot fro live cd live cd if you did not press any key the progress bar will not move, just do it like that till you boot to windows and install normally then boot ubuntu for the first time and repeat the pressing of any key on the keyboard then edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and look for quite slash and append acpi=noirq at the front to look like this quiet splash acpi=noirq. Sorryam not good in writing and i hope it helps anybody with that problem. Cheerio

The guy that has Atheros wifi and uses linux mint the atheros wifi is included check /usr/lib/mintwifi/wifidriver or so i can't remember but i will check and post it and if youcan locate it yourself just navigate from the windows wireless driver application and you'll see one textfile that ends with inf and click install but i will check and see cause am browsing from my school cafe. Cheerio

Esquire good to see that you are enjoying linux mint ,  i just setup an an ubuntu nigeria google group ,  we would be incomplete without you,  please join us asap http://groups.google.com/group/ubuntunigeria
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 12:30pm On Jan 18, 2009
Thought i should share some KDE4 Screenshots , this is just a tip , and the roadmap to gnome 3 is also looking good.

Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 12:41pm On Jan 19, 2009
Thats a very beautiful plasma theme there i tried kubuntu and discovered that kde now have its own compositing/effect manager which has some of the effects of compiz and as you know i currently have mint on my laptop and am enjoying every bit of it.

Plus i saw windows 7 screen shots it copied kde4 taskbar and that plasmodium clock and feel and many people agreed to it.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 3:03pm On Jan 19, 2009
esquire:

Thats a very beautiful plasma theme there i tried kubuntu and discovered that kde now have its own compositing/effect manager which has some of the effects of compiz and as you know i currently have mint on my laptop and am enjoying every bit of it.

Plus i saw windows 7 screen shots it copied kde4 taskbar and that plasmodium clock and feel and many people agreed to it.

mint 6 kde version would be the bomb , the mint devs are waiting for the official stable release of kde4.2 which should be coming out by the ending of this month. i cant wait for that to happen so i can default to kde full time .

btw people use to say that KDE takes after windows look which is not true save for the taskbar. every other thing is unique , but the coming of kde4 has raised the bar hence i wasn't too surprised when i saw elements of it's look integrated into windows 7. when a billion dollar company like MS start ripping off the sweat and blood of a project powered mostly by volunteers then u know that FOSS is really doing something right ,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by nijaslim: 5:04pm On Jan 19, 2009
guyz pls help i need a copy of ubuntu or mint from any body in ph or by.
all the 1 bigbrova send never reach me since dec 2008.
pls guyz help my numb is 08063665719 and e mail is nijaslimest@yahoo.com sad sad embarassed embarassed sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by EZHack(m): 12:34am On Jan 24, 2009
@ BIGBROVAR

I am having a problem with ubuntu on my external hard drive.

I installed (full) the OS directly from the CD. And after installation it did not load and when I attempted to remove it from the drive I was unable to locate the drive in My Computer in Win XP.

Pls, help me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 7:07am On Jan 24, 2009
I installed (full) the OS directly from the CD. And after installation it did not load
just want to be clear on this , you installed ubuntu on an external hard drive and when you tried booting it it would not load. right? if yes , then it most be a mistake you made during installation. you see installation on external drives is not quite as straight forward as dualbooting on the same drive. when you install on an external drive, there is this tool which is responsible for boot you OS called grub. its a boot loader (every OS as one) now when you install ubuntu or any *nix you have to point where you want the OS (in this case ubuntu) to install the boot loader. by default it would install it on the first hard drive (in this case could be your internal hard drive) in which case if you installed the OS on an external hard drive the boot loader would be installed on the internal hard drive, this would give you problem.
the best thing should have been after telling the system to install on the external harddrive. when you get to stage 7 of the install which is the final stage, choose click on the advance boot at the bottom right corner of the system. where you would see other optiions. among which asks you hwere you want to install grub. i you have only one external hard drive connected to the system (and the system has just one hard drive) then choose sdb ( just as windows sees drives as drive c drive d etc linux too has a way for naming drives. sda (sata drive a i.e the first hard drive , if its an ide drive then you would see hda) the second drive would be sdb or hdb etc if the first drive more than one partition you would see sda1 sda2 depending on the amount of partition it has. so my friend, my thinking is that grub was installed in the wrong place. perhaps am wrong and you could explain more.
installing on a external hard drive is something that is left for people who have experience on this things.
and when I attempted to remove it from the drive I was unable to locate the drive in My Computer in Win XP.

when I attempted to remove it from the drive I was unable to locate the drive in My Computer in Win XP.
no surprises there because windows by default doesnt see ext3 filesystems. ubuntu and other linuxs use ext3 filesystem as default. windows only see fat32 and ntfs drives. your best best if to load a live cd session then plug in the drive , then go to system/administration/partion editor , this is a partitioning tool , now select your external drive which would be sdb and you can now format it as fat32 , (be very carefull when using gparted so you dont format you systems hard drive.)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 10:52pm On Jan 24, 2009
to install linux no be garri o! i have the cd from canonical. here are the steps:

Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 11:01pm On Jan 24, 2009
this is suppose to be easy. i like the idea that i can install ubuntu like any windows app. now after the installation process , i restarted my system, i was hoping to get the option to boot into ubuntu, but nothing happen, just like i didn't  install at all. i tried the option of booting from the cd, still couldn't get ubuntu to run on my system.

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 6:57am On Jan 25, 2009
flyuche:

this is suppose to be easy. i like the idea that i can install ubuntu like any windows app. now after the installation process , i restarted my system, i was hoping to get the option to boot into ubuntu, but nothing happen, just like i didn't  install at all. i tried the option of booting from the cd, still couldn't get ubuntu to run on my system.

what you are doing is not even the recommended install, and i NEVER recommend it for anybody, although a lot of people have tried it and say it works fine even with that why for the love of me would some one try to install ubuntu inside WINDOWS! , lots of things could go wrong the least being Ubuntu's fault , if you want ubuntu partition your hard disk and install it there , if you want to try , run it as a live cd , all this wubi installation inside windows is BS in my opinion. i started ubuntu with feisty right here on Nairaland https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-11508.384.html and this https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-11508.416.html that was feisty 7.04 even then the installation was smooth after following the guide online , my advise for any body trying to install ubuntu is that first do your research to see if it mets your needs especially the hardware needs of your computer, that was what i did , i didnt just jump into it , i did my research very well infact for over a month , i also studied the dualbooting guide till it stock to my head , even with that i still hard problems ( i was a windows guy and was expecting linux to be and act like windows) but it took some times (less than 3 months) before i got accustomed to Linux. 6 month later i removed windows from my system to gain more space (it hasnt come back since), so forget about what we say here and the fancy screenshot we display. ask your self why do you want linux , its cool and all but its also not for everybody. one thing is you have to forget everything about windows. and be ready to learn from the start. all the best in the choices you make.
cheers
Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 8:44am On Jan 25, 2009
I wanted to run the live CD, my system froze. I have used linux, i.e fedora and ubuntu in a vm player before. I am not giving up. Step by step, i will get there.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 12:19pm On Jan 25, 2009
the best way i can help you is hat you give me the detail specs of your system including the name , some systems have bios that have been tweaked so that nothing except windows boots on them. i have had experiences like that especially some compaq, and samsung systems.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 4:37pm On Jan 25, 2009
The guys thats wanting to install linux should do so on a sepate and dedicated partition because thats how it you can enjoy it best not on some virtual machine. Plus post the names of your hardware like your motherboard, processor, vga etc. In the min time try this boot from live cd after choosing your language then scroll to try without installing and press F6 on your keyboard and you'll see where you can type in then type this noapic nolapic and press enter and lets know how it goes. Cheerio

@Bigbrovar
Linux mint felicia is highly unstable on my laptop so i resolve to using the ordinary intrepid and am enjoying for the main time i can get fast internet to update cos you know kernel 2.6.27 is experimental at the time of intrepid release. Peace out. Am currently browsing.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 6:00pm On Jan 25, 2009
esquire:

The guys thats wanting to install linux should do so on a sepate and dedicated partition because thats how it you can enjoy it best not on some virtual machine. Plus post the names of your hardware like your motherboard, processor, vga etc. In the min time try this boot from live cd after choosing your language then scroll to try without installing and press F6 on your keyboard and you'll see where you can type in then type this noapic nolapic and press enter and lets know how it goes. Cheerio
i felt that way too but i wanted him to post the specs first the name and model of the laptop would do (if its a laptop)

@Bigbrovar
Linux mint felicia is highly unstable on my laptop so i resolve to using the ordinary intrepid and am enjoying for the main time i can get fast internet to update cos you know kernel 2.6.27 is experimental at the time of intrepid release. Peace out. Am currently browsing.
i find intrepid too bleeding edge for me so am on hardy heron , intrepid broke some things on my laptop, the main ibex applications like network manager 0.7 was installed on hardy using backported PPA.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 10:43pm On Jan 25, 2009
bigrovar:

the best way i can help you is hat you give me the detail specs of your system including the name , some systems have bios that have been tweaked so that nothing except windows boots on them. i have had experiences like that especially some compaq, and samsung systems.

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 11:09pm On Jan 25, 2009
flyuche:

name of system e.g hp dv2345

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.