Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,260 members, 7,874,070 topics. Date: Friday, 28 June 2024 at 03:11 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (471101 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 5:52pm On Apr 06, 2009
i have had to reformat my vista laptop 4 times to get thing working well again, but the next time i am wiping off that vista partition to give way to ubuntu. it's been 3 weeks now and i am still fiddling with ubuntu. my work is suffering o! grin just love the high degree of flexibility with this OS.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 6:49pm On Apr 06, 2009
flyuche:

i have had to reformat my vista laptop 4 times to get thing working well again, but the next time i am wiping off that vista partition to give way to ubuntu. it's been 3 weeks now and i am still fiddling with ubuntu. my work is suffering o!  grin  just love the high degree of flexibility with this OS.
what are the nagging issues you are still having with ur laptop. and what laptop model and type is it ,  so we can help u trash them out.

this is a Screenshot of my Compaq Mini 700 running ubuntu 8.04 with the Moble Internet Experience Interface

My Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 beta on my Laptop

Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 8:33pm On Apr 06, 2009
really i don't have any serious issues, just that i'm sorta glued to my laptop since i installed ubuntu. i have been busy exploring and digging the OS. that's what i mean when i said[i] fiddling[/i].  i have been reading books too. my test bed is my acer travelmate 5720 laoptop. no hardware issues at all. my webcam works(thanks to cheese), my acer utility buttons work(thanks to acerhk-source), my sierra wireless aircard 580 worked right of the box.  etc. some of the books i read now:
my next step is to install the OS in my lenovo thinkpad T400.(my ultimate machine, set me back by £1000+) i understand it's only fedora that has a driver for the fingerprint reader. well until then,

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 8:40pm On Apr 06, 2009
Oh well welcome to the word of linux , there is just soooooooooooo much to discover , never a dull moments , because there is always something new and interesting to try out, Enjoy.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:00am On Apr 08, 2009
man lots of respect so as a new user you started with a beta version? wow

me am waiting till it becomes officially released; but then Ubuntu's not quite my favorite linux flavor
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 1:18am On Apr 08, 2009
this is just the beginning:____8.10 smiley

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:49am On Apr 08, 2009
yeah when i saw that in 8.04 i thought it was a joke at first; unfortunately they're still the only linux distro that has adopted that;
(even linux mint which is based on ubuntu doesn't have anything like that - and i her it's supposed to be easier than ubuntu too)
a lot of people have problem with partitioning hard disks and then there are people like me who have exhausted all their partitions.
the wubi installer makes it easier to try it out new distros
Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 7:09am On Apr 08, 2009
blackweaver:

yeah when i saw that in 8.04 i thought it was a joke at first; unfortunately they're still the only linux distro that has adopted that;
(even linux mint which is based on ubuntu doesn't have anything like that - and i her it's supposed to be easier than ubuntu too)
a lot of people have problem with partitioning hard disks and then there are people like me who have exhausted all their partitions.
the wubi installer makes it easier to try it out new distros
installing linus distro like ubuntu has never been easier. defrag, and let the ubuntu disc do the partitioning for you!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 9:45am On Apr 08, 2009
yeah
and browsing experience quite cool n smooth(well dunno if its just me but opening web pages n apps seems to be fast undecided)
guys i hv two questions:
1. is dere a way i can browse on pc wit my fone via blutot?
2. hw can i see / monitor d bandwith of my starcoms connection?
tnx
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 9:09pm On Apr 08, 2009
lynxnoon:

2. hw can i see / monitor d bandwith of my starcoms connection?
tnx

Solved wink

Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 9:19pm On Apr 08, 2009
guys just saw dat i cudnt enable d desktop effects tru d Extra Effects options
my laptop uses Nvidia graphic card

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 11:01pm On Apr 08, 2009
blackweaver:

man lots of respect so as a new user you started with a beta version? wow

me am waiting till it becomes officially released; but then Ubuntu's not quite my favorite linux flavor

well i have been running linux now for close to two years, half of it as my exclusive OS, i started with feisty fawn but i have since tried over 50 linux / bsd distributions, currently run ubuntu jaunty (ibex was a huge regression for me, lots of issues so i jumped ship once jaunty got to alpha 6) on my laptop (which came preinstalled with ubuntu 8.04) and i run archlinux on my desktop, i aslo have a freeNAS NAT server , and i still consider my self a noobie, why? because there are still a whole lot about linux that i dont know. linux is a bottomless pit , u cant know it well
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 9:05am On Apr 09, 2009
bigrovar:

well i have been running linux now for close to two years, half of it as my exclusive OS, i started with feisty fawn but i have since tried over 50 linux / bsd distributions, currently run ubuntu jaunty (ibex was a huge regression for me, lots of issues so i jumped ship once jaunty got to alpha 6) on my laptop (which came preinstalled with ubuntu 8.04) and i run archlinux on my desktop, i aslo have a freeNAS NAT server , and i still consider my self a noobie, why? because there are still a whole lot about linux that i dont know. linux is a bottomless pit , u cant know it well
awwww n i just instald ibex oh!!
anyway bros hw can u help me wit enabling my graphics card for 3D desktop effects?
tnx
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 9:59am On Apr 09, 2009
dis a scrnsht

Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 10:08am On Apr 09, 2009
hey problem resolved grin
i tink dere was conflict wit wch of d two cards to use wink
tnx anyway,,,,,,,,,
tho more questions to come up ltr oh!! grin grin

Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 12:29pm On Apr 09, 2009
Guys how una dey now?
I always feel at home in this thread than any other place.
I like the progress and am amaze at ur progress flyuche kudos guys.
Am working towards having a steady internet connection then you'll see more of me.
Cheerio
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 3:15pm On Apr 09, 2009
@esquire
Wat linux distro r u using?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 6:46pm On Apr 09, 2009
esquire:

Guys how una dey now?
I always feel at home in this thread than any other place.
I like the progress and am amaze at ur progress flyuche kudos guys.
Am working towards having a steady internet connection then you'll see more of me.
Cheerio

its always nice havng u around. we would all benefit once u have a steady internet so we can always count on ur contribution.
lynxnoon:

@esquire
Wat linux distro r u using?

espuire runs Linux Mint 5
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:05pm On Apr 09, 2009
bigrovar:

i feel you - about the noobie stuff and i think i've done a few things myself too; neer used my pc as a server yet though have tried like 10 +/- distros; tell me something do you know how i can configure ppp on freebsd 7?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:18pm On Apr 09, 2009
@flyuche
i actually prefer to do my partiitioning myself; well before i start any installation process (typical slackware user)
gparted is a lovely partitioning tool almost as good as partition magic
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Gagnant(m): 5:22pm On Apr 10, 2009
You guys are doing a wonderful job here. I'm quite hopeful I will learn a thing or two with frequent visits. I installed the 9.04 jaunty beta on my old pc yesterday and it all went fine. However, I couldn't enable the Extra desktop effects. I'm not sure what the problem is though but I'm guessing it might be beacause i installed the OS as a windows appliacation. I will try a new installation and see if the problem comes up again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 10:45am On Apr 11, 2009
i doubt that first of what graphic driver are u running? ubuntu ships with only free and opensource software hence only free and open source hardware will work on it out of the box like Intel hardwares (wireless card and graphic card) other closed source hardware would work but u have to use a tool called Hardware Driver which u can find in Systems/Administration/Hardware Drivers lunch the tool and if your system needs a particular closed source driver to work then it would office to download it for you.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Azanor(m): 11:32am On Apr 11, 2009
Gurus in d house i need a little help,i installed 8.10 on my lappie but because of slow internet i havent been able 2 get any updates. My question is can i install softwares and stuff on my current ubuntu os 4rm d ubuntu ultimate 2.1 dvd that i got without having 2 install d full ultimate os, and how do i do this
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 11:48am On Apr 11, 2009
Azanor:

Gurus in d house i need a little help,i installed 8.10 on my lappie but because of slow internet i havent been able 2 get any updates. My question is can i install softwares and stuff on my current ubuntu os 4rm d ubuntu ultimate 2.1 dvd that i got without having 2 install d full ultimate os, and how do i do this
well i am not sure i quite get you, are u trying , are u trying to install the softwares u installed on ur ubuntu ultimate machine on the ubuntu 8.10 machine?
or are u wondering if its possible to install softwares that came with ubuntu ultimate on ubuntu 8.10?

in case of the first scenario. the answer is a yes and no, yes if the ubuntu ultimate u intend to install is based on ubuntu 8.10 , so how can u do this, u can either use a tool called aptoncd (google it) or manually copy the software in the ubuntu ultimate from /var/apt/cache/archive/ to the same directory on ur ubuntu 8.10. but your best bet would be to use aptoncd

in the second case, its a no no,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 12:05pm On Apr 11, 2009
@bigbrovar. how about the debian distro. what's your impression.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 12:17pm On Apr 11, 2009
flyuche:

@bigbrovar. how about the debian distro. what's your impression.
Well one word Debian is the mother of 70% of Linux Distros my opinion of it is summed up by the following from distrowatch

The success of Debian GNU/Linux can be illustrated by the following numbers. It is developed by over 1,000 volunteer developers, its software repositories contain more than 20,000 packages (compiled for 11 processor architectures), and it is responsible for inspiring over 120 Debian-based distributions and live CDs. These figures are unmatched by any other Linux-based operating system. The actual development of Debian takes place in three main branches (or four if one includes the bleeding-edge "experimental" branch) of increasing levels of stability: "unstable" (also known as "sid"wink, "testing" and "stable". This progressive integration and stabilisation of packages and features, together with the project's well-established quality control mechanisms, has earned Debian its reputation of being one of the best-tested and most bug-free distributions available today.

Debian is solid as a rock, it is the mother of the ubuntu, Mint,Mepis,Xandros of this world. its very solid stable and doesnt compromise of FOSS standard. although i would say that its might not be ideal for the new user, and its stable release are always quite dated due to the focus on stablity then shipping the latest and greatest software.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by centaurprime(m): 9:14pm On Apr 11, 2009
Hello everyone, I ordered an ibex from canonical and I recieved it in December but after installing on my laptop ( Mandriva partition), I discovered some problems which were really frustrating. First, it did not recognize the network when I took it to a cafe to update so I could not browse the net with it. Secondly, some plugins required to play audio files like MP3s and WMAs were missing. Even DVDs and video CDs didn't work. I'm trying to master Linux and I have rute but again, most of the commands didn't work on console. The man files were missing and the friggin OS was complaining that my HP nx9000, P4 2GHz, was an x84 therefore the 3D effects wont work. Inasmuch as I work with windows because of the work I do, I still need to master Linux. What can I DO? I need help! Somebody, Anybody,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Gagnant(m): 3:06am On Apr 12, 2009
bigrovar:

i doubt that first of what graphic driver are u running? ubuntu ships with only free and opensource software hence only free and open source hardware will work on it out of the box like Intel hardwares (wireless card and graphic card) other closed source hardware would work but u have to use a tool called Hardware Driver which u can find in Systems/Administration/Hardware Drivers lunch the tool and if your system needs a particular closed source driver to work then it would office to download it for you.
Thanks bigrovar, I did lauch the hardware drivers menu but all i found was an empty window. A few months back I installed the Intrepid edition on my laptop and it worked fine (desktop effects). i will perform the installation on a fresh HD and see if the problem comes up again. BTW great job on your blog.
wink wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 6:44am On Apr 12, 2009
centaur-prime:

Hello everyone, I ordered an ibex from canonical and I recieved it in December but after installing on my laptop ( Mandriva partition), I discovered some problems which were really frustrating. First, it did not recognize the network when I took it to a cafe to update so I could not browse the net with it. Secondly, some plugins required to play audio files like MP3s and WMAs were missing. Even DVDs and video CDs didn't work. I'm trying to master Linux and I have rute but again, most of the commands didn't work on console. The man files were missing and the friggin OS was complaining that my HP nx9000, P4 2GHz, was an x84 therefore the 3D effects wont work. Inasmuch as I work with windows because of the work I do, I still need to master Linux. What can I DO? I need help! Somebody,  Anybody, 

This is what happens when u dont look before you leap. U want to master linux! you want to master linux! yet you are not able to do simple research and find out what makes linux unique. Linux is not windows, its not just about putting a cd in your computer and going to sleep. its a culture and a community, and when u ignore that fact the result is what u get.

First of about the DVD and MP3, FYI Ubuntu ships with only free and open source software (google if you dont know what that is) as a result it dont not ship with non free multimedia codec and format like mp3 and dvd codecs that is why this things dont work out of the box, however, it does allow you to download the codecs and install them by your self if you wish, you might want to read a guide i wrote on how to enable multimedia on ubuntu [url=http://bigbrovar./2008/12/17/multimedia-codecs-and-tools-for-ubuntu/
] http://bigbrovar./2008/12/17/multimedia-codecs-and-tools-for-ubuntu/
[/url]
About the Network not being detected, My guess would be that what ever Network card/wireless card you are using is proprietary if that is the case u might have to download the driver from it using the Hardware Driver in System-Administrator-Hardware Driver if that doesnt work u would have to put the output of
lspci | grep Network 
here so we can see what type of driver you are running and direct you accordingly.

About the command not working ,  seriously i really dont understand that part, what command did you run? even though ubuntu is based on debian, and probably has some unique way of doing things, its still Linux and still comes with the co-utils and bash, hence most Linux command work on ubuntu just fine. am not sure if u are complaining or seeking for help. but which ever way u should have tested all this problem in the live CD stage, and probably read if ubuntu is compatible with your hardware before taking the jump. dont forget that your laptop was built for windows, and the fact that many things even worked showed just how good linux is, if u want 100 compatibility then get a laptop with linux pre-installed.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Cwolf(m): 8:28am On Apr 12, 2009
cry pls guyz i need  ubuntu any body in PH or Bayelsa pls call or text 08063665719 E-mail hive_net@yahoo.com. Hey bigbrova its me bootfast download linux ebooks from http://www.skillsheaven.comhttp://vxchaos.official.ws.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 12:09pm On Apr 12, 2009
i decided to give KDE a try.

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.