Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,827 members, 7,876,128 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 10:30 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (471357 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 10:23pm On May 07, 2009
@bigbrovar
tnx a mil i've instald d bluman, quite cool too

Re: Ubuntu Linux by elnino3(m): 2:45am On May 08, 2009
big guy,
im uduak in uyo u sent me an ubuntu ultimate dvd once(though it was later messed up). the thing is that i requested for intrepid ibex and got it. but now the problem with it is that it doesnt have a lotta programs and i had disposed of my former system. i want to get some regular software that could play mp3, dvd, a java compiler, c++ compiler and the works. but i dnt have an internet connection yet, i still use a cafe so its hard mto connect to the repo and download i was wondering if yu could assist in manner of guiding on how i can download and install them online thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 4:01am On May 08, 2009
Posted by: el_nino
Insert Quote
big guy,
im uduak in uyo u sent me an ubuntu ultimate dvd once(though it was later messed up). the thing is that i requested for intrepid ibex and got it. but now the problem with it is that it doesnt have a lotta programs and i had disposed of my former system. i want to get some regular software that could play mp3, dvd, a java compiler, c++ compiler and the works. but i dnt have an internet connection yet, i still use a cafe so its hard mto connect to the repo and download i was wondering if yu could assist in manner of guiding on how i can download and install them online thanks.

http://ubuntunigeria./2009/01/07/115/
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Cwolf(m): 12:48pm On May 09, 2009
guz check out the 30mb Slitaz, a small linux distro.

Re: Ubuntu Linux by baani(m): 12:34am On May 13, 2009
ok am actually in lagos, so if u can hook me up with the you talked about that will be very swell for me
Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 6:42am On May 13, 2009
@bigrovar. i want to install openoffice 3.1.(i renamed the file o3.tar.gz) i have downloaded the .tar.gz software package to my desktop. i tried unzipping using the command tar xvzf o3.tar.gz as a first step in installation but i get this error message. pls help. i use linuxmint felicia
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 9:47am On May 13, 2009
flyuche:

@bigrovar. i want to install openoffice 3.1.(i renamed the file o3.tar.gz) i have downloaded the .tar.gz software package to my desktop. i tried unzipping using the command tar xvzf o3.tar.gz as a first step in installation but i get this error message. pls help. i use linuxmint felicia
to install most applications on linux its better to use the package manager system. this is one area linux differs from windows. there is a guide there that will show you how to add a third party repository that contains the latest how to install the latest openoffice on ubuntu intrepid ibex/ mint felicia http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-To-Install-OpenOffice-org-3-0-in-Ubuntu-8-10-96449.shtml
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 10:16am On May 13, 2009
baani:

ok am actually in lagos, so if u can hook me up with the you talked about that will be very swell for me

http://ubuntunigeria./category/get-ubuntu/
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 1:16pm On May 13, 2009
My linux mint desktop with cairo-dock which i kinda like more than awn after using awn off and on for so many years now,
Got blueman just yersterday and i discoveered some things while using it
Usingg the dun for about four hours my phone battery was still the way it was and the phonee does not get hot compared to the same process in wwindows of the same machine and the same phone. i could hardly get two hours battery life with my phone under vista/Xp, bluetooth file sharing (obex ) has been brought back which has been removed and some newbie asking me that their phone cannot discover theri system but the other way round alone in the standard ubuntu and mint.
I hope cannonical can adopt and integrate blueman into ther later release instead of gnome-bluez with is not improving. cheerio

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 3:40pm On May 13, 2009
esquire:

My linux mint desktop with cairo-dock which i kinda like more than awn after using awn off and on for so many years now,
Got blueman just yersterday and i discoveered some things while using it
Usingg the dun for about four hours my phone battery was still the way it was and the phonee does not get hot compared to the same process in wwindows of the same machine and the same phone. i could hardly get two hours battery life with my phone under vista/Xp, bluetooth file sharing (obex ) has been brought back which has been removed and some newbie asking me that their phone cannot discover theri system but the other way round alone in the standard ubuntu and mint.
I hope cannonical can adopt and integrate blueman into ther later release instead of gnome-bluez with is not improving. cheerio

esquire try gnome do , which is what is being used here

it beats every dock system on any platform you can think of , even mac , its comes with an awe search feature which has really cool plugin , i can start a chat session with anybody in my buddy list in pidgin just by typing the persons name , words cant describe its awesomeness .

although to get the best from do you have to be running the latest version from their PPA the one in the ubuntu repository is quite old [url]https://launchpad.net/~do-core/+archive/ppa
[/url]
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 9:46pm On May 13, 2009
@bigrovar & esquire
pls hw do u guys use does 3D icons/docks?
I currently use linuxmint6 & hv enabled d graphics card but i cant seem to be able to manipulate d d appearance features and dont seem to hv compiz on my system
Pls guys any help wit this?
Thx
Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 10:09pm On May 13, 2009
@bigrovar.linuxmint  does not have SOFTWARE SOURcES under admin., no simple way to uninstall apps not needed. about the openoffice. org 3.1, i have already downloaded the package, just can't get it installed yet.
@esquire. i still like the awn just can't get network manager applet on the dock.

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:50am On May 14, 2009
@flyuche
i think one of the problems with openoffice.org - at least the one you download from the
website is the fact that it's rpm based ( the installer) anyway after extracting on the
cd to the folder and type java -jar <jarfile> (in the version of ooo that i have the <jar file> is
javasetup.jar) that might work

by the way in the menu under administration you'll find mintinstall - though i don't know if you'll
find openoffice there ok my mistake i think it's the synaptic package manager you want to go to
(that's if you want to download openoffice again - which i think you may have to seeing that
mint does not use rpm)

one other thing; you never did tell us what the error you got was

but then again i thought mint came with openoffice in the first place; why do you want to install again?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 2:15am On May 14, 2009
@flyuche
what kind of internet connection do you use to connect with mint?
the network wizard doesn't seem to support normal dialup so i use wvdial
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 3:41am On May 14, 2009
lynxnoon:

@bigrovar & esquire
pls hw do u guys use does 3D icons/docks?
I currently use linuxmint6 & hv enabled d graphics card but i cant seem to be able to manipulate d d appearance features and dont seem to hv compiz on my system
Pls guys any help wit this?
Thx

you might want to read this

http://linuxowns./2008/06/16/guide-to-customizing-ubuntus-look-and-feel/
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 4:26am On May 14, 2009
flyuche:

@bigrovar.linuxmint  does not have SOFTWARE SOURcES under admin., no simple way to uninstall apps not needed. about the openoffice. org 3.1, i have already downloaded the package, just can't get it installed yet.
@esquire. i still like the awn just can't get network manager applet on the dock.

you have to learn more about packaging systems although you are right mint version of synaptic is quite different from that of ubuntu but they are essentially the same

echo ' deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ubuntu intrepid main' | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list ; sudo aptitude update ; sudo aptitude full-upgrade 

run that in terminal

see why sometimes commandline is better than GUI?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 5:40am On May 14, 2009
@bigrovar. i am running the code in terminal now.
thanks mahn! upgraded!

Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 5:51am On May 14, 2009
@blackweaver. the openOffice. org that came pre-installed in linuxmint felicia is version 2.4. i need to update to ver 3.1. to me this is the most important app in linux. i do alot of work using excel(calc) and powerpoint(impress). you can call me  a power user of officesuite.
i use starcomms evdo data card(sierra aircard 580). the thing just  worked right out of the box.!

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 8:20am On May 14, 2009
flyuche:

@blackweaver. the openOffice. org that came pre-installed in linuxmint felicia is version 2.4. i need to update to ver 3.1. to me this is the most important app in linux. i do alot of work using excel(calc) and powerpoint(impress). you can call me  a power user of officesuite.
i use starcomms evdo data card(sierra aircard 580). the thing just  worked right out of the box.!

Hunn the wonders of network manager 7, FYI you can also share the internet connection from the card wirelessly to other wireless computers or device around you. btw how fast is the speed of your starcoms?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 2:57pm On May 14, 2009
bigrovar:

Hunn the wonders of network manager 7, FYI you can also share the internet connection from the card wirelessly to other wireless computers or device around you. btw how fast is the speed of your starcoms?
Networking is really improving with linux , and if we are to take some of the features for NM 0.7.2 Then It would have LInux Blow past the Mac Airport , the major work right now is to have bluetooth intehration , so that Network manager will have native Bluetooth support right out of the box , making apps like blueman unnecessary
Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 6:31am On May 15, 2009
the easiest way to install .rpm software packages in ubuntu/ linuxmint is to install[i] alien[/i] from the the synaptic. i finally did find that i can now install the OOo 3.1 package i downloaded.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 8:34am On May 15, 2009
smiley smiley smiley
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 8:36am On May 15, 2009
thx alot @bigrovar, am cheking out d link now
Guys pls wat download manager do u guys use? IMHO IDM seem IS d best on windows cos i can integrate my rapidshare username & pasword but deres no version for linux and am yet to find an app close to it
Wat do u guys tink?
As per netwok manager & bluman, dere's an option in bluman where u can integrate it wit netwok manager but i dont tink its fully functional; even my DUN connects but wen i try to use it it fails undecided(stil working on it sha)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 12:00pm On May 15, 2009
lynxnoon:

Guys pls wat download manager do u guys use? IMHO IDM seem IS d best on windows cos i can integrate my rapidshare username & pasword but deres no version for linux and am yet to find an app close to it
Wat do u guys tink?
As per netwok manager & bluman, dere's an option in bluman where u can integrate it wit netwok manager but i dont tink its fully functional; even my DUN connects but wen i try to use it it fails undecided(stil working on it sha)
for download managers i use downloadall which is a firefox plugin , it works very well for all my downloads but am afraid its not as good as internet download manager. for most of my downloads i use the commandline wget program which works for me very well. there are a number of download manager for linux but non can stand up to internet download manager , however downloadthemall is very close and getting better https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/201

about the blueman dun support try this post http://traversingmind..com/2009/02/bluetooth-dun-with-linux.html
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 12:45pm On May 16, 2009
Having read many good thingsabout mint 7 Gloria and am wondering if theres anybody that have in the house grin cheesy wink. Well as a distro LovePeddler that i used to be resurface while i was a the computer village theres this very place ised to buy linux dvds from i kinda lay my hand on open suse 10.3 or something an di must confess its quite kool but the only downside is that it does not have a live environment. So guys anybody have mint 7 or ubuntu 9.10 which i can customize to be very fine to my liking it will be good if that person is living in ogun state or lagos. Cheerio
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 1:57pm On May 16, 2009
esquire:

Having read many good thingsabout mint 7 Gloria and am wondering if theres anybody that have in the house grin cheesy wink. Well as a distro LovePeddler that i used to be resurface while i was a the computer village theres this very place ised to buy linux dvds from i kinda lay my hand on open suse 10.3 or something an di must confess its quite kool but the only downside is that it does not have a live environment. So guys anybody have mint 7 or ubuntu 9.10 which i can customize to be very fine to my liking it will be good if that person is living in ogun state or lagos. Cheerio

eya ,  i have downloaded the Mint 7 Release Candidate tried it on Vitualbox looks cool sha esp the artwork and the mint menu is refined. Once the final version is out i will download it and look for a way to get it across to you. The release am really looking forward to is fedora 11. I tried fedora 10 and i was very pleased with it.  it is still not as user friendly as ubuntu aspecially in the area of package management. but with Kernal Mode setting now supporting intel cards, and the loads of features that it woul come with i cant wait to try it on my hardware. just download the beta preview and am updating it right now on my system
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 10:37am On May 17, 2009
lynxnoon:

Wat do u guys tink?

I Found a good rapidshare, megaupload downloader. i havent tried it but most of the comments about it says it works fine. http://www.getdeb.net/app/Tucan download the version for intrepid since you use mint6
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 10:49pm On May 17, 2009
@bigbros
tnx for always helping out[i](am chking d site now wink)[/i]
once i get dis woking well, men am finally switching to linux smiley wink
by d way my recent mint update included open office3.0 wink
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 8:29am On May 18, 2009
lynxnoon:

@bigbros
tnx for always helping out[i](am chking d site now wink)[/i]
once i get dis woking well, men am finally switching to linux smiley wink
by d way my recent mint update included open office3.0 wink

Yeah you will get regular updates because you have added the repository for openoffice to your sources list. Overall am gald you are enjoying your linux experience.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Cwolf(m): 12:16am On May 21, 2009
hello guyz i just picked up my ubunt 9.04 and kubuntu 9.04 from the post office sent by canonical. i just installed it but
i could not get online with mtn dailup through bluetooth after automatic configuration
pls help. i dont know how to dail through bluetooth.
pls help. c.wolf still bootfast.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 2:25am On May 21, 2009
Na who get mint7 embarassed undecided its or na me is what i wanna hear.Seriously i cannot wait to get my hands on it cos of a problem am having right now atheros wireless its not working well at least my version cos i stall a very low end PM fora guy with mint atheros worked fine connected to networks etc but right now am using gtkndswrapper which detects network but never connected to any of them. Again na who get mint 7 if you guys dont answer me this is what i will be asking for God knows when, Seriously men i need it. Cheerio

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.