Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,188 members, 7,890,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 05:39 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (473547 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 12:13pm On Apr 12, 2009
hi. guys. i tried out the KDE in ubuntu. i must confess i don't like it. problem is when installing KDE i opted for KDM, now i want my GDM back, how do i do it?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 3:48pm On Apr 12, 2009
bigrovar:

Well one word Debian is the mother of 70% of Linux Distros my opinion of it is summed up by the following from distrowatch

rpm fans will kill you for that statement tho i admit that i prefer deb based distros to rpms

bigrovar:

First of about the DVD and MP3, FYI Ubuntu ships with only free and open source software (google if you dont know what that is) as a result it dont not ship with non free multimedia codec and format like mp3 and dvd codecs that is why this things dont work out of the box, however, it does allow you to download the codecs and install them by your self if you wish, you might want to read a guide i wrote on how to enable multimedia on ubuntu

first time you try to play an mp3 file ubuntu will offer to download some files (codecs) that you need to be able to play mp3s as long as you have a working internet connection you shouldn't have a problem

bigrovar:

About the Network not being detected, My guess would be that what ever Network card/wireless card you are using is proprietary if that is the case u might have to download the driver from it using the Hardware Driver in System-Administrator-Hardware Driver if that doesnt work u would have to put the output of
lspci | grep Network 
here so we can see what type of driver you are running and direct you accordingly.

i guess the problem should be a network setup one; as far as i know linux has support for most network cards and most pc vendors don't change network chipsets the way they change sound and video
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 9:10pm On Apr 12, 2009
flyuche:

hi. guys. i tried out the KDE in ubuntu. i must confess i don't like it. problem is when installing KDE i opted for KDM, now i want my GDM back, how do i do it?

first remove kdm and gdm then reinstall gdm just copy and paste the following and u should be fine wink , if u dont break u dont learn

sudo apt-get remove --purge kdm ; sudo apt-get remove gdm ; sudo apt-get install gdm 
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 9:19pm On Apr 12, 2009
rpm fans will kill you for that statement tho i admit that i prefer deb based distros to rpms
well fact speaks for them selfs, compare the number of debian based distros to rpm distros? rpm,yum,yest,zyper, all suck compared to apt-get, although lots of work as being put into yum to make it not suck soo much like the presto plugin, its still no were comparable to apt-get, the only package manager gives apt-get a run for its money is pacman for archlinux ,

first time you try to play an mp3 file ubuntu will offer to download some files (codecs) that you need to be able to play mp3s as long as you have a working internet connection you shouldn't have a problem
abi? no mind them , u have to read before u leap. am trying to work on codec package which allow people to install multimedia codecs offline on ubuntu.

i guess the problem should be a network setup one; as far as i know linux has support for most network cards and most pc vendors don't change network chipsets the way they change sound and video
exactly , never seen a network card that doesn't just work on linux. most i have tried just work without a problem. the problem lies with wireless which is not really linux fault. when the vendor wont write correct drivers. the community has to result to reverse engineering, and the user suffers, so vote with ur pocket and get only computers with open hardware like intel or vendors with good support for linux like nvidia
Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 9:30am On Apr 13, 2009
thanks bigrovar. i successfully installed internet explorer today.

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 10:23am On Apr 13, 2009
flyuche:

thanks bigrovar. i successfully installed internet explorer today.
great u must be a webdeveloper , because i cant think of any reason why a normal hunman bring would want to use internet explorer anyway except to test how their website would look like on it, cheesy , anyway am glad that it works for you. cheers
Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 10:45am On Apr 13, 2009
@ bigbrovar.not like i have much use for it right now. My pension manager's website seems to work best with it.
Why are my screenshots so large these days? I noticed that after a massive update. I would love to upload my desktops and others but the files are always about 900 + kB in .png
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 12:21pm On Apr 13, 2009
bigrovar:

u can easily use gimp or gthumb to edit or change the file from png to jpg (gthumb can be installed from synaptic)
me too oh
any way of resizing d images or is dere an app 1 can use for dat?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 12:39pm On Apr 13, 2009
u can resize images with either gthumb, or gimp, or install nautilus-image-converter which would allow u to right-click on an image and resize it,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 9:01am On Apr 14, 2009
tnx smiley
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 1:24pm On Apr 14, 2009
u welcome mate
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Azanor(m): 1:54pm On Apr 16, 2009
@ bigrovar

so in other words i have to install the ultimate edition in order to reap the full benefits. its based on ubuntu 8.10, thats why i was thought that i could just copy some of the necessary software files from the dvd into my current installation of 8.10.

so to install do i have to reformat the partition with ubuntu 8.10 on it or is there a way i can just upgrade to the ultimate edition. also, where can i get those dvds i hear about which have all the necessary codecs, plugins and softwares.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Azanor(m): 2:05pm On Apr 16, 2009
hey guys, just found this magazine for ubuntu linux thats really good. it has tutorials, news, reviews and articles about different peoples conversion to ubuntu. it can be downloaded for free at www.fullcirclemagazine.org in pdf format. they have about 23 issues out already
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 2:48pm On Apr 16, 2009
Azanor:

@ bigrovar

so in other words i have to install the ultimate edition in order to reap the full benefits. its based on ubuntu 8.10, thats why i was thought that i could just copy some of the necessary software files from the dvd into my current installation of 8.10.

so to install do i have to reformat the partition with ubuntu 8.10 on it or is there a way i can just upgrade to the ultimate edition. also, where can i get those dvds i hear about which have all the necessary codecs, plugins and softwares.

there is no way to copy or download the application from ubuntu ultimate cd to a fresh ubuntu 8.10. the applications in the ubuntu ultimate dvd are built with the dvd, u the applications have already then installed as part of the dvd, also u cant upgrade to ubuntu ultimate , one ubuntu ultimate is not an offcial version of ubuntu, its more like a fan remix so its not officially supported by ubuntu , about the dvds which this place for info on that www.ubuntunigeria.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by baani(m): 3:01am On Apr 18, 2009
i do appreciate all the post u all been sending and it has raised my interest in this O.S and im opin and askin if there is anyone here who could fill mi in on how i can become a linux user, i really don't know a thing about it. its not like windows where one can just install and its ready for use but i know it can be used permanently or temporary, but how can i be good with its commands. i would mind if anyone can help mi with some tips, ebooks tht will actually talk abt the basics of this O.S and move its way up d core

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 3:09am On Apr 18, 2009
baani:

i do appreciate all the post u all been sending and it has raised my interest in this O.S and im opin and askin if there is anyone here who could fill mi in on how i can become a linux user, i really don't know a thing about it. its not like windows where one can just install and its ready for use but i know it can be used permanently or temporary, but how can i be good with its commands. i would mind if anyone can help mi with some tips, ebooks tht will actually talk abt the basics of this O.S and move its way up d core
be ready to learn and have fun at the same times, can be frsutration at times because its a new way of doing things, so my advise , get a linux distro and install it u can here is a head start www.ubuntunigeria. or u can join this mailing list http://groups.google.com/group/ubuntunigeria
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Cwolf(m): 10:44am On Apr 18, 2009
Google is ur frnd. Baani read the history of linux. www.linux.com get free linux ebooks 4rm www.skillsheaven.com go to www.ubuntu.com, www.linuxmint.com, www.fedoralinux.org.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 1:47am On Apr 19, 2009
Guys i finally clinch down a TEMPORARY* internet connection all beit on on windo$e.
firstly i run linux mint 6 not 5 of felicia.

The guy thats having kdm and gdm problem should simply type this at the terminal sudo gdm --replace
that should simply do it.
Well done guys.
Cheerio
Re: Ubuntu Linux by nonoy: 12:50pm On Apr 19, 2009
Lvly job u guys r doing here. I am new to ubuntu & i need help. How do i dual boot ubuntu ultimate 2.0 with win 7 in a 250gb harddisk & stil have another partition for my files, software etc. Windows 7 creates 2 partion during install (200mb bootloader partion & d main windows 7 partion) & ubuntu uses 2 partitions (swap & main partion). The problem is after installing both, i cannot create another partion 4 my files. Hw do i overcome this as i want my files on a seperate partition. Tanx alot

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 3:43pm On Apr 20, 2009
@nonoy
Good to see that you're ready and i can see you've made the neccessarry research b4 trying to install which is good.
theres a partition utility in vista which allows u to shrink your patition even when have datas on it but i dont know bout windows7 it may likely have. And you can try partition magic which is good.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Azanor(m): 12:32pm On Apr 21, 2009
i finally took the plunge. removed ubuntu 8.10 and installed ubuntu ultimate 2.1, nearly lost my hard drive in the process but all is well. now i can access all my multimedia without having to download codecs with a slow internet connection. the experience has been wonderful so far, would have posted a screenshot but i currently using windows to download some stuff.

does anyone know where i can find a comprehensive guide to using wine on ubuntu?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 1:28pm On Apr 21, 2009
try wine.org or just google it
Cheers
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 4:11pm On Apr 21, 2009
@Azanor,
Wine can be funny atimes and its a genius piece of reverse engineering considering the facts that micro$oft will neva release their .dll and Apis to make applications work seemlessly.
But not to worry any application you want to run first check wines database of known working applications or work arounds for that particular application.
In my own case i find a windo$e cds i can lay my hand on and copy out all the .dll files i can find inside and copy it to the wine's folder in my home folder whcih makes it more functional.
Applications like most latest games work seemlessly, adobe products also works etc.
And attimes some applications may not be listed that works like corel draw 11 have not been too listed and most people that attempted it mark it a failed and i installed it and it works not only work it is stable so good luck brotherman.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:36pm On Apr 21, 2009
@Azanor another alternative you could have taken was to install linux mint which is an
ubuntu based distro and is rated 3rd after ubuntu and opensuse in distrowatch (distrowatch.com)
with it you don't need to download all those codecs either but no wahala, it's all good
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Smartsboy(m): 11:57pm On Apr 21, 2009
Pls help, i have ubuntu 8.10 on my notebook. I'm used to windows. I cant create a dial up connection to the net using my phone. I can pair, send and recieve files. But cant dial dun connection. It seems gnome bluetooth manager cant help me. Any way out?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 10:04am On Apr 22, 2009
when u want help you have to supply more info so we tailor our help to fix your needs like

what type of dailup are we talking about , mobile phone?
what type of hardware are u using , nokia?
what carrier? mtn?
then what have your tried and what was the result.? most people here are quite good but are not magicians that would know the exact problems u have. u have got to give details
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Smartsboy(m): 10:35am On Apr 22, 2009
Thanks. I have nokia 5300, using ZAIN. I i'm enabled with this APN. internet.ng.zain.com, i want a dial up connection to ZAIN edge/gprs using bluetooth. I do it on winxp but cant do it on ubuntu.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Smartsboy(m): 10:40am On Apr 22, 2009
smiley
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 1:35pm On Apr 22, 2009
Smart$boy:

Thanks. I have nokia 5300, using ZAIN. I i'm enabled with this APN. internet.ng.zain.com, i want a dial up connection to ZAIN edge/gprs using bluetooth. I do it on winxp but cant do it on ubuntu.

I have not used the phone for connection before but I have seen people use that phone on linux and it works fine

first u need to use the commandline which is not that scary just copy and paste what i post in terminal which u will find at Application/Accessories/Terminal

then plugin your phone using the phone to pc cable and run the following command

sudo wvdialconf

what this command does is to configure your phone for dialup. the configuration files would be stored at

/etc/wvdial.conf

now u need to go to the configuration file and edit it to your preference

gksu gedit /etc/wvdial.conf

which would open a notepad like application which an already configured settings that looks like this

[Dialer Defaults]

Init1 = ATZ

Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0

Modem Type = USB Modem

Baud = 460800

New PPPD = yes

Modem = /dev/ttyACM0

ISDN = 0

Phone = *99***1#

Password = internet

Username = internet

you will now have to set the username and password field according to to your network preference one that is done, save the file and close it

now go to terminal again and run

sudo wvdial

if it works you should be online when u start firefox, which might start in offline mode just go to file/ and uncheck workoffline and try again , if u have problems post it here , for further readings http://ubuntunigeria./category/connectivity/
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Smartsboy(m): 6:28pm On Apr 22, 2009
Thanks for that. What if i wish to use bluetooth?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Smartsboy(m): 6:28pm On Apr 22, 2009
smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.