Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,494 members, 7,951,071 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 09:45 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (481739 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 11:12pm On Apr 22, 2009
bluetooth is mostly plug and play on ubuntu , never had a problem with it ,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 11:27pm On Apr 22, 2009
@smartboy
just tot of this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,how about changing d modem type frm USB modem to BLUETOOTH modem wink smiley
or wat do u tink@ bigbrovar?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 11:41pm On Apr 22, 2009
@Bigbrova the tutorial is nice.

@smart$boy
The eaasiest way to get it working is through a usb cable once you plug in the cable and you choose nokia mode from your phone immediately network manager will dectect ur phone as nokia 5300 and will as you to click configure and all u are required to do is to choose zain and chikena thats it you are only under 5 sec no installation of pc suite ir watever. Peace
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Smartsboy(m): 12:03am On Apr 23, 2009
smiley
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 4:51am On Apr 23, 2009
esquire:

@Bigbrova the tutorial is nice.

@smart$boy
The eaasiest way to get it working is through a usb cable once you plug in the cable and you choose nokia mode from your phone immediately network manager will dectect ur phone as nokia 5300 and will as you to click configure and all u are required to do is to choose zain and chikena thats it you are only under 5 sec no installation of pc suite ir watever. Peace

@esquire you are very right, i have forgotten that using modem has on ubuntu is now dead easy thanks to network manager 7, my bad, i still live in the good ol days when u have to use wvdial (which i still use sha) @smart$boy follow esquire guide, very very easy that way, even glo and mnt are supported.

About using your phone as a modem via bluetooth that is very possible but you would have to install blueman, here is a guide u can follow http://traversingmind..com/2009/02/bluetooth-dun-with-linux.html
Re: Ubuntu Linux by esquire(m): 11:49pm On Apr 23, 2009
@nonoy
nice work its better you follow my lead or you follow Brovar baba's lead causeundecided
1. bluetooth drains phones battery faster than usb cable
2, Due to interference and network problem usb cable is the best
3. Usb cable charges your phone

Bluetooth dialup networking is possible with linux especially KDE 3 or 4 which kbluetooth is somehow better than gnome-bluetooth.
If you still insist that you must use bluetooth dialup get the following
1. gnome-bluez or so
2. gnomeppp (whixh is better than kppp IMOP)
and you're good to go.
Peace.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by fasho16(m): 8:12am On Apr 24, 2009
hi, l installed ubuntu 6.06 on my desktop, & hv ttried connecting my modem to the internet using wvdial & ppp, bt ubuntu still does nt get hooked to the internet. nd ur help seriously.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 1:58pm On Apr 24, 2009
I was just about to upgrade to ubuntu 9.04 when my starcomms subcription expired.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 3:50pm On Apr 24, 2009
flyuche:

I was just about to upgrade to ubuntu 9.04 when my starcomms subcription expired.
u might want to hold on a bit , although ubuntu 9.04 has been released and its quite stable. just like every OS the initial release could be quite buggy but in like a month into the release some of this rough edges would be fixed with updates. so whatever version of ubuntu works for u. stick to it and wait for the jaunty dust to settle.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 5:28pm On Apr 25, 2009
after all is done ,  this is how ubuntu jaunty netbook remix   looks like on my compaq mini 700

Ubuntu Netbook Remix is an official distribution of Ubuntu for netbooks, optimized for use with the Intel Atom processor.It is based on the standard (full version e.g. Ubuntu 9.04) Ubuntu Desktop distribution, but adds a window picker and an application launcher optimized for netbooks like the eeepc, the acer aspire or hp mini

can be downloaded from here http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-netbook Its completely free of charge , i am currently working on a guide on how to install and configure the ubuntu netbook edition on your netbook.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Oxone(m): 5:33pm On Apr 25, 2009
wow shocked shocked shocked i need to go get me 1
Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 4:49am On Apr 29, 2009
decided to give linuxmint a try.

Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 6:00pm On Apr 29, 2009
hmmmm just burnt a dvd of linuxmint6 (Felicia) some days ago wink
wel for now i tink its just d same as ubuntu(unless som1 can say odawise undecided)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 12:19am On Apr 30, 2009
anyway i prefer it to ubuntu.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 3:11pm On Apr 30, 2009
@flyuche
Wats u reason 4 dat?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:52pm On Apr 30, 2009
lynxnoon:

wel for now i tink its just d same as ubuntu(unless som1 can say odawise undecided)

even though mint is based on ubuntu i have to disagree with you; for one thing the
default ubuntu installation doesn't invlude propriety media codecs like mp3 support;
besides mint is supposed to be easier to use another difference is the fact that ubuntu
no longer uses /etc/inittab; instead it uses something called upstart in starting up
(and i'm not talking about the bootloader) i don't know if any other distro has also adopted upstart
and then ubuntu has wubi -- the windows installer which mint does not have;

personally i prefer ubuntu, i like the colors better and because ubuntu has a wider customer and
support base you are more likely to get support for it than mint
Re: Ubuntu Linux by flyuche(m): 12:16am On May 01, 2009
linux mint is more polished. you still enjoy same support as ubuntu. am waiting  for the 7th edition.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 7:27am On May 01, 2009
blackweaver:

even though mint is based on ubuntu i have to disagree with you; for one thing the
default ubuntu installation doesn't invlude propriety media codecs like mp3 support;
besides mint is supposed to be easier to use another difference is the fact that ubuntu
no longer uses /etc/inittab; instead it uses something called upstart in starting up
(and i'm not talking about the bootloader) i don't know if any other distro has also adopted upstart
and then ubuntu has wubi -- the windows installer which mint does not have;

personally i prefer ubuntu, i like the colors better and because ubuntu has a wider customer and
support base you are more likely to get support for it than mint

AFAIK Linux mint uses upstart too. Linux based on ubuntu (although there are plans to base it off debian but i dont see that happening anytime soon) and every release of Mint is based on a version of ubuntu e.g Elyssa LTS is based on Ubuntu Hardy Heron LTS while Mint Felicia (whats with the p0rn star names) is based on Intrepid Ibex. most of Mints modifications of ubuntu are mere GUI, artwork, and applications that comes pre-installed (like thunderbird in place of evolution) anyway i love linux mint and prefer always recommend it to newbies ahead of ubuntu because of the ease of use and the mint menu which is similar to what you have on windows vista (which is actually a close to the suse slab)

about upstart i still prefer the BSD-style' init framework which is better organised since you have one /etc/rc.conf to point to scripts within a single directory (etc/rc.d/) for all system services, regardless of runlevel. its makes it very easy to monitor what starts and doesnt in your pc this is why ArchLInux Rock
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 2:47pm On May 01, 2009
mint uses upstart? how come i missed that?

but i do understand what you mean by the bsd style scripts; easier to monitor
and modify; have looked at arch; nice distro; can be as lightweight as you want it to
be; however am not yet used to using package managers - i find them a little annoying
yeah i guess i could  disable the dependency check on installing but it's not quite the same;
maybe 'cos i started with slack; but then again each to his own opinion

one other thing about ubuntu; if you don't have a woring internet connection at home you
could always order; they always send a free cd; of course it would be nicer if it was a free
mint cd since you can play your multimedia out of the box while with ubuntu you still have
to download the codecs - either manually (a painful process) or using an internet connection
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 5:44pm On May 01, 2009
blackweaver:

mint uses upstart? how come i missed that?

but i do understand what you mean by the bsd style scripts; easier to monitor
and modify; have looked at arch; nice distro; can be as lightweight as you want it to
be; however am not yet used to using package managers - i find them a little annoying
yeah i guess i could  disable the dependency check on installing but it's not quite the same;
maybe 'cos i started with slack; but then again each to his own opinion

one other thing about ubuntu; if you don't have a woring internet connection at home you
could always order; they always send a free cd; of course it would be nicer if it was a free
mint cd since you can play your multimedia out of the box while with ubuntu you still have
to download the codecs - either manually (a painful process) or using an internet connection

#slax, package dependencies
i have never used slaz before the closest i came was when i installed zenwalk which is suppose to have some relationship with slax. anyway i dont really have a problem with package management both apt-get and pacman tend to do a good work of dealing with it.

#codec, internet,
true its one of the biggest challenge of using linux in nigeria. lack of internet connection means people are on able to take advantage of the benefit of package managers. how ever one of the thing am tryin to do is an offline package stript which would contain all the needed codecs and you can just use the script to install them offline.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:11pm On May 01, 2009
tell me something bigrovar, have u used freebsd beforeif so have you use a dialup modem to connect to the internet?
i've been trying out some oses but until i can at least get a working internet connection i don't consider myself
to have finished setting it up and i uses dialup (ok evdo but it's still dialup)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 10:18pm On May 01, 2009
as a desktop nope. the only freebsd i run is freeNAS which i use as my file-server . however i would like to think i have some experience with using dialup with linux generally although alot would depend on the hardware support of your modem. so what modem are u running i might just have the wvdial.conf for it
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 6:55pm On May 02, 2009
i don't have any probs with linux; it was piece of cake getting info
about what driver to use; unfortunately i haven't been able to
do the same with freebsd
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Cwolf(m): 11:52pm On May 03, 2009
hey guyz i beg ona bro need linux badly. i no want to worry bigbrovar sha em don try but the stuff no reach me.
pls am beging u guyz to help me out. i need linuxmint, ubuntu, opensuse. my location is BY (Bayelsa)
so guyz how i wan take get am i beg make una help me. 08063665719.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 3:28pm On May 05, 2009
Men!!! guys am rily enjoyn dis linuxmint6 oh, u wont bliv i was awake til 4am 2day jst gettn 2 learn new stuf
Using Thunderbird was a smooth ride all d way, jst input som minor details & am home & dry. U cnt easily do dis wit MS Exchange & even using Thunderbird on Windows is stil groggy.

Pls does anybody knw hw i can use "Your-Freedom" aplication on linuxmint?

@Bigbrovar
Sorry 4 bugging u but I was wondering since linuxmint6 woks on d Intrepid ibex platform; wil BLUMAN work using dat code u told me abt or shud i change 'intrepid ibex 'to 'felicia' at d terminal?
Tnx 4 ur response
Re: Ubuntu Linux by baani(m): 11:03pm On May 06, 2009
pls, culd anyone esp bigbrova help wit ubuntu operating system, my I.P isnt fast enough to download the software from the net and if i had to request for the O.S could anyone who has done that before tell me how long it will take for me to get it
Re: Ubuntu Linux by baani(m): 11:31pm On May 06, 2009
hey sorry i meant bigrovar and not bigbrova
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 2:37pm On May 07, 2009
lynxnoon:

About freedom stuff, i've sorted dat it out, tnx

About Blueman:
i ran d command on terminal n dis was d message i got

my bad i made a mistake in the commands, it should be
sudo aptitude update;sudo aptitude install blueman
or you could just go through synaptic , reload and search for and install blueman ,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 2:43pm On May 07, 2009
baani:

hey sorry i meant bigrovar and not bigbrova
its actually bigbrovar , bigrovar was a mistake i made when registering for nairaland

baani:

pls, culd anyone esp bigbrova help wit ubuntu operating system, my I.P isnt fast enough to download the software from the net and if i had to request for the O.S could anyone who has done that before tell me how long it will take for me to get it
if you stay in lagos i could hook u up with a guy who could get you a copy of the older release (ubuntu 8.04 hardy heron and ubuntu 8.10 intrepid ibex) am not sure about the jaunty but you could ask the ubuntu nigeria mailing list http://groups.google.com/group/ubuntunigeria am sure someone there could help,  about the ship-it ,  i have gotten every ubuntu i requested delivered to my door step when i was in Lagos and Abuja and it took like a month roughly

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.