Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,170 members, 7,880,658 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 11:57 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (78) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (472006 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by misaac: 11:47am On Oct 09, 2010
hi all, im fed up with network manager. please can you suggest an alternative tool for managing my network cards. i've got 3 on my system and i use all of them.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:12pm On Oct 09, 2010
Koolwilly:

This is all i see in  the partition

and you had me thinking the stuff was not working!!!

your files are in the home folder na!!!!! home, mnt etc. check the subfolders!!!!
mine looks like that becos i have my home folder on anor partition so i can always format my os without losing files!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Koolwilly(m): 3:42pm On Oct 09, 2010
There is nothing in the home folder,

Re: Ubuntu Linux by EvilBrain1(m): 12:11am On Oct 10, 2010
The new Ubuntu (Maverick Meercat) is coming out today. Is it worth the stress of upgrading?

Anyone who downloads and install it please post your impressions ITT
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:25am On Oct 10, 2010
@ kollwilly, pls look thru the other folders. im sure u will agree with me that it is very strange for a home folder not to contain anything even at least the normal subfolders like documents, music, videos folders!!

else, just get anor livecd, even if its anor distro!!!

NB: precisely what type of install did you do? i hope its not a wubi install?
then what windows os are you running?

@ ebvil brain, well you are looking for free guinea pig shey? anyway am gonna try locate links now, hopefully the initial rush on the servers will have lessened, and the DVD would have been spun too. (usually its 2 weeks later for the DVD)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Koolwilly(m): 5:45pm On Oct 10, 2010
@4ller wat is a wubi install?? I was surprised that nothing was in there, the thing tire me sef oooo, i would look for anoda distro and try it, maybe Suse linux.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by EvilBrain1(m): 9:17pm On Oct 10, 2010
Koolwilly:

@4ller wat is a wubi install?? I was surprised that nothing was in there, the thing tire me sef oooo, i would look for anoda distro and try it, maybe Suse linux.

When you first installed ubuntu, did you launch the setup through windows or did you boot the live cd? If you installed from windows then its a wubi install.

How far? Does anyone have Maverick yet? My connection is so gaddem slow.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 10:41pm On Oct 10, 2010
misaac:

hi all, im fed up with network manager. please can you suggest an alternative tool for managing my network cards. i've got 3 on my system and i use all of them.

have u tried wicd? its the only viable alternative to network manager that I know of. It lacks the bell and whistle features of nm like mobile 3g card support and wireless sharing, but it as a notorious rep for stability and just working. you can install it from software center or via the commandline
sudo apt-get install wicd
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 10:52pm On Oct 10, 2010
I have been running the RC version of Kubuntu 10.10 which I easily upgraded to 10.10 final release. so far its been one of the best Kubuntu ever. It ships the awesome kde 4.5 and comes with lots of improvements here and there. Overall I am very very happy with this release which packs, power, sexiness, beauty, stability and functionality which we have all come to know of kde.
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/5064889379_03c195baf5_b.jpg
[/img]
Re: Ubuntu Linux by EvilBrain1(m): 2:23am On Oct 11, 2010
bigrovar:

I have been running the RC version of Kubuntu 10.10 which I easily upgraded to 10.10 final release. so far its been one of the best Kubuntu ever. It ships the awesome kde 4.5 and comes with lots of improvements here and there. Overall I am very very happy with this release which packs, power, sexiness, beauty, stability and functionality which we have all come to know of kde.
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/5064889379_03c195baf5_b.jpg
[/img]

Gaddem!!!

That is too sexy. Is that the default theme or did you have to love-vendor it? It makes gnome look like a 30 yr old molue.

Should have downloaded kubuntu instead. Ooooh
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 8:26am On Oct 11, 2010
Evil Brain:

Gaddem!!!

That is too sexy. Is that the default theme or did you have to love-vendor it? It makes gnome look like a 30 yr old molue.

Should have downloaded kubuntu instead. Ooooh
everything is vanilla beside the icon theme. and the wallpaper which is part of the community wallpaper for Ubuntu. KDE coming from gnome does take getting use to though, for once its not it does not get the attention that gnome ubuntu gets in terms of extra polish and stuff so most stuff there are just vanila kde no software center, no ubuntuone or any of those addons canonical added to gnome. Even then its a very good desktop for those who want power and control
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:36pm On Oct 11, 2010
hmmn, @ bigrovar, u and this ur KDE sef, i refuse to be tempted!! grin grin grin grin

u say that wallpaper is vanilla? wow thats nice!!

have'nt been able to pull em gigs, maybe overnite if MTN does not go crazy again sha. want the DVD instead though i may pull the cd to satisfy my urge in the interim.
all the reviews i have seen say it isnt any different from 10.04, at least for the gnome version. well thats good news for the puritanical whiners, now they can have a distro that lasts year and years like windows.

for me, i love the new stuff, makes me tick. . . . . . . .

pls does KDE still have all those eyecandy issues or its all solved now and i can have my cubes and all(with minimal fuss?)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:09pm On Oct 11, 2010
alright you guys just use and tell me the new features; i generally wait for the next ".04" version, maybe this time i'll make an exception and try the netbook edition this time,i wonder if there's a kde version
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:00am On Oct 12, 2010
blackweaver:

alright you guys just use and tell me the new features; i generally wait for the next ".04" version, maybe this time i'll make an exception and try the netbook edition this time,i wonder if there's a kde version

yes boss!! grin grin

how u dey, dont have ur numba anymore else i'd have called u sometime!! which rock did u crawl out from?

the netbook edition does look very interesting true!! 10.10 is not really worth the stress if u dont wanna i think. there is nothing new (ok not true, they say that the power management thing has been worked on, and for me that alone is worth upgrading for)

we will see sha. downloading as i type
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:44pm On Oct 12, 2010
actually i've always been around, i just check on comments to see if there's anything i can help out on
Re: Ubuntu Linux by lynxnoon(m): 11:47pm On Oct 12, 2010
finished dwnloading 10.10 yesterday. . . .
not much difference, tho i noticed network manager now has option of chosing GPRS / UMTS / AUTO undecided
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 12:18pm On Oct 13, 2010
maybe i should have waited another month before switching to 100hrs; anyway i should try to get this thing soon; just a pity we haven't been having light for a while either
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:26pm On Oct 13, 2010
lynxnoon:

finished dwnloading 10.10 yesterday. . . .
not much difference, tho i noticed network manager now has option of chosing GPRS / UMTS / AUTO undecided

hmmn, na im u talk like dat? grin grin shey now we can now know which network strength in Network Mgr? thats an improvment. already downloaded it, just trying to find time to install. and please how does that markings thing in synaptic work?

am asking becos aptoncd cant find most of the packages on my system anymore, even me sef cant find them (maybe the system auto purged em). i need to get a list if all stuff i presently have so i can just auto-install them in 10.10

chai, and i have installed some large games o!! and i cant seem to find them anywhere!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 12:30pm On Oct 13, 2010
try checking /var/cache/apt/packages (i think) anyway somewhere in /var/cache
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:33pm On Oct 13, 2010
yeah i already did. thats where i always check em. the mistake i made this time was i didn't copy them out immediately i pull them. i usually do
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 12:45pm On Oct 13, 2010
ah sorry o i think it's gone this time
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:42pm On Oct 13, 2010
oh well, too bad. guess i will have to do them afresh.
what do u think the learning curve for kubuntu is? as in major? and i do believe i can replace kpackagekit with synaptic? i really cant stand that thing. . . . .

i have a spare pc for a few weeks and i wanna see sumtin sumtin with Kde (that bigbrovar fella is one hell of a teaser), but going by my previous experiences, im pretty sure i will format the thing after 2hrs grin grin grin grin

anyway let me store this here so when i need it i will come back here!: may prove useful for other new pple anyways

To get you started with your fresh Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat installation, I'd though I'd share the commands I use to install the basic stuff. For everything else there's Ubuntu Tweak or manual installation, however these following should get you started.

Important: before running the commands below, you need to enable the restricted, multiverse and partner repositories. To do this, open the Ubuntu Software Center, select Edit > Software Sources, and on the first tab (Ubuntu Software), check all the repositories. Then switch to the second tab (Other Software) and check the "Canonical Partners" repository.

1. Install Adobe Flash, Java, fonts, codecs and other restricted stuff (I don't use "ubuntu-restricted-extras" because it also installs some stuff I really don't need while it doesn't install a lot of the applications that I do need):

sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-pitfdll gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-base gstreamer0.10-plugins-good libdvdnav4 libdvdread4 libmp4v2-0 libxine1-ffmpeg ffmpeg flashplugin-nonfree sun-java6-fonts rar unrar p7zip-full p7zip-rar unace unp zip unzip ttf-liberation mencoder mplayer sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-jre

sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

sudo apt-get install build-essential automake make checkinstall dpatch patchutils autotools-dev debhelper quilt fakeroot xutils lintian cmake dh-make libtool autoconf git git-core subversion bzr

sudo apt-get install vlc mozilla-plugin-vlc openshot gimp gthumb pidgin skype adobeair wine aptitude chromium-browser multiget gwget blueman banshee deluge wine
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:08pm On Oct 13, 2010
wellz, i am actually running Kubuntu as i speak and i really dont know what i think.
am kinda impressed with the general outlook, kinda put off by the fact that its new. . . . it took me like 2 tries to remember i was dealing with Konsole and kate and Dolphin etc here.

also amazingly it took my proxies this time unlike my last experience with 9.10 kubuntu. install took 10 minutes via usb.

really trying to get my thots together tho. guess i will start complaining soon grin grin grin grin

ps: why is there so much grey!! and there is just one wallpaper in it, BIGBROVAR> . . . . . . . . . .!!!

how do i make this thing look different? i really hate having ordinary looking stuff lol. (this will take some getting used to!!)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:28pm On Oct 13, 2010
ahan!!! complain 1

abeg wetin be dis one. i have killed everything but still!!! i restarted yet!!!!

edit: i deleted my lock file!! seems ok now (bad though) sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/lock

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Koolwilly(m): 5:56pm On Oct 13, 2010
@4ller i don finally delete the partition i don loose hope, i wanna install the latest version 10.10
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Koolwilly(m): 8:13pm On Oct 13, 2010
abeg i am stuck in the prrocess of installing my kinux ubuntu 10.10 Whenever i want to insall in the freespace of the partion i want to use it tells me to set destination,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:17pm On Oct 13, 2010
ur not very helpful with your questions i dont have the foggiest idea what you mean!

just in case the new installer asks for the partition where it will install the bootloader. its a dropdown menu, just choose /dev/sda

i also hope you set the partitions correctly or ur using the guided partitioner? as in ur drive is divided into 2 and u choose the empty one?
remember to format too
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 11:59pm On Oct 13, 2010
kde really looks sweet tempting tempting anyways ok i'd like to give it a shot. Anyone around IB with kde +10.10??
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Koolwilly(m): 12:29am On Oct 14, 2010
Find out what i am talking about below, please i need help on how to go about it,

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:24am On Oct 14, 2010
go back to the pages before this one in ur screenie.

in this shot you are supposed to specify your partitions manually.

before this page there is a page where you choose whether to install them side by  side or to chose locations yourself.

choose the install side by side option.

just in case you end up here again (i dunno oo) then double click on the last partition, the one with open space, it will give you anor dialog box, there is a drop down there too.   in there choose use this partition, select the filesystem type to be EXT4 and tick the box that says format

mount point will also be /

USE partition
filesystem = EXT4
Mount point = /
tick format box.

i cant do screenies, cos i dont have the time to boot up an iso right now!!

continue
Re: Ubuntu Linux by EvilBrain1(m): 10:25am On Oct 14, 2010
Koolwilly:

Find out what i am talking about below, please i need help on how to go about it,

Unless you want to format you windows partition (and lose all your data) you'll need to partition the drive first. You can boot the live cd and use the disk utility (System -> Administration -> Disk Utility). Make sure you have backups of everything valuable in case there's a f.uckup. You should make 2 new partitions: a big one, and a smaller one (about twice the size of your computer's ram)

You can then install ubuntu in the new partition. At the allocate drive space screen, select your new partition, click edit, change the filesystem to ext4, mount point to / and select the format checkbox. For the smaller partition, change the filesystem to swap.
After that, just continue installing the usual way and you should be ok.

Cheers
Re: Ubuntu Linux by EvilBrain1(m): 10:34am On Oct 14, 2010
Evil Brain:

Unless you want to format you windows partition (and lose all your data) you'll need to partition the drive first. You can boot the live cd and use the disk utility (System -> Administration -> Disk Utility). Make sure you have backups of everything valuable in case there's a f.uckup. You should make 2 new partitions: a big one, and a smaller one (about twice the size of your computer's ram)

You can then install ubuntu in the new partition. At the allocate drive space screen, select your new partition, click edit, change the filesystem to ext4, mount point to / and select the format checkbox. For the smaller partition, change the filesystem to swap.
After that, just continue installing the usual way and you should be ok.

Cheers

Alternatively, you could create three new partitions: A root partition (size: 8-10gb, mount point: /, file system:ext4), a swap partition (size: 1-2x your ram) and a home partition (size: whatever's left, mount point: /home, file system:ext4).

This way, you won't lose data even after the worst f.uckup. As long as your /home partition is intact, you can completely reinstall ubuntu and still have all your files and applications.

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.