Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,199 members, 7,887,496 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 09:44 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (80) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (473070 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by EvilBrain1(m): 10:18am On Oct 22, 2010
bigrovar:

@4llerbuntu your "assessment" of kde can not be so wrong. first of it is never advisable to install kde and gnome side by side the latter install always suffers. This is due to the fact that both kde and gnome use very different underlying technologies which might lead to conflict. from network manager (different UIs) to sound architecture (pulseaudio + gstreamer vs xine pulseaudio-phonon) etc even in term of libraries the difference is even wider. If gnome works for you stick to it. Kde is not for everyone neither is gnome. stop spreading fud about things you know very little about when u do that you just go around spreading untruth which others would take as fact. I don't want to be drawn into the kde vs gnome argument. I used gnome for close to 2 years before finally settling down to kde. that speaks for its self. It is very wrong and almost insulting to conclude that people using kde are after the blings and just that cus again you have no clue on what makes kde thick and u are not ready to learn. Just use your gnome which as always worked for u and be happy.

Guy, this is seriously uncool. You shouldn't be attacking your brother over something as trivial as kde vs gnome. You're both open source evangelists after all, let's try and keep things in perspective. This type of clannish douchebaggery is really holding OSS back. We need to stop bashing each other and focus on the main task: fixing bug no. 1.

This reminds me of a funny story I read somewhere:
I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. I ran over and yelled "Stop! Don't do it!"
"Why shouldn't I?" he said.
I said "There's so much to live for!"
He replied "No, there isn't. Life is pointless."
Quickly trying to find some common ground, I asked "Are you religious or atheist?"
He said "Religious."
I said "So am I! Are you Christian or Buddhist or something?"
He said "Christian."
I said "So am I! Are you Catholic or Protestant?"
He said "Protestant."
I said "So am I! Are you Episcopalian or Baptist?"
He said "Baptist."
I said "So am I! Are you Baptist Church of God or Baptist Church of the Lord?"
He said "Baptist Church of God."
I said "So am I! Are you original Baptist Church of God or Reformed Baptist Church of God?"
He said "Reformed Baptist Church of God."
I said "So am I! Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915?"
He said "Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915."
I said "Die heathen scum!" and pushed him off the bridge.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:38am On Oct 22, 2010
nah, evil brain, brovar is just really into the KDE movement, he does'nt mean to start anything nasty im VERY VERY SURE!!

i can tell you that you cant find a better, much more committed advocate of Open source, man you need to read some of his old posts on NL, going toe to toe with some windows advocates, man those were enjoyably feisty grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

funny thing is he is actually one of the pple that served as motivation for me, he and Blackweaver, esp blackweaver sef, massive bloke.

anyway, pls who actually know how to use WINE? i have been dabbling into it these days, i wanna run some games. i find that some work, like Need for speed, but the display is all wierd and all that.

i tried their wiki and i really dont understand them. i believe some apps work with particular versions of WINE? how to manage them is a bit of an issue.

i have tried using the winetricks script to install some stuff, it has been failing some install other fail. playonlinux is even worse. i see a large number of games supposed to work via playonlinux, but i cant seem to be able to set one up.

i need someone to guide me with this ish, i find im having to put windows xp on my pc just to play games.

NB: why is it that linux games dont work with game pads?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:09pm On Oct 22, 2010
where is lynxnoon?

i can now surf in WINE o!! i believe all those apps we used to bitch about should now work.
i installed a lot of the .dlls in winetrick in fact i marked everything and installed that which would and i tried instaling opera in it and it worked!!

this is running opera in wine, as u can see the fonts are a bit funny, im not sure i know how to fix that, i already did the corefonts for wine too so. . . . . .

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 4:28pm On Oct 22, 2010
which game pads don't work in linux? i have a usb "playstation" pad and it DOES work in linux; i see my last post on my take on the kde/gnome post got blocked "how annoyin" is it 'cos i modified it so much? i can't be expected to be posting bad grammar across the internet
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 4:35pm On Oct 22, 2010
at least i remember playing some gba games on linux (using an emulator of course)
(since nairaland blocks any edits to my posts i will make a new post instead)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:46pm On Oct 22, 2010
hummn, the pad DOES work I THINK!! i believe it gets recognised and all that, but actually getting a game in which to use it is what is befuddling.

heard sumtin about mapping somewhere, for me makes no sense. the games themselves dont have settings that include gamepads, or do u know anyone that does, let me try it

i cant seem to use it in the games is what i found out. oh ok, i cant really remember now but i even downloaded the snes emulator once with a couple of snes roms and i really cant remember now if the pad worked in that, was abt 2 months ago
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 5:02pm On Oct 22, 2010
snes emu works, i've used it before
Re: Ubuntu Linux by EvilBrain1(m): 12:48am On Oct 23, 2010
@4ller
If you're cool with 'brover then so am I. One love. And speaking of KDE vs Gnome, Ars Technica just posted an interesting article about Qt in Ubuntu. It looks like some people are thinking about dropping gtk.
arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/10/canonical-cto-contemplates-qt-we-think-it-has-a-lot-to-offer-ubuntu.ars
I can't help with the wine issue. I've never had any luck in that department and dual booting is so much simpler. If you want to play games and have a decent video card, you should try Dolphin. Its an emulator for Nintendo gamecube and wii games. I hear it works really well.
And you first have to map the buttons in the emulator's settings to get a pad to work properly. Look in options or preferences or whatever. Its very easy once you've done it once.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:40am On Oct 23, 2010
@brain much as i prefer the qt interface, it seems that most qt apps tend to include many kde libraries, if i could get independent qt apps the way you can get many gtk apps without necessarily including gnome, i would be more into them - not that i don't like kde, its just that i prefer speed to appearance (which is why for instance, even though i use firefox for downloading, i tend to use google chrome for actual browsing - it comes up faster)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:12pm On Oct 23, 2010
hmmn well from what the canonical dude was saying, i guess they are looking at QT, without the baggage, (all the talk about simplicity)

anyway, it wont be a bad idea, as long as its native and is fast!

anyways, anyone with background knowhow on how to set up a UPS with Ubuntu?
i got an APC, its old but it does its job well, as long as i change the batteries.

i found some packages for ubuntu/APC and installed them but as far as i know i could as well be deceiving myself. am presently consulting google, but some of the stuff i see am not encouraged to try. i dont like messing with important stuff like power management when im not sure the proffered solution will work, or not break my system.

any pointers?

for one, the ups simply uses a power cable to get to my pc, im seeing stuff like usb connections stuff online, sorry how do these stuff work?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:14am On Oct 24, 2010
;d ;d ;d ;d ;d

Re: Ubuntu Linux by v3: 10:00am On Oct 24, 2010
4ller
Any luck wit ur nvidia ish?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:13pm On Oct 24, 2010
@ v3 i uninstalled the card, and did it over again, now its fine. actually i eventually found it was the ram that was causing the issues, not the card. i suggest u run memtest on the ram.

if u have ubuntu on the pc, choose the mentest option in grub. leave it for like 1 hr, once u start seeing red, the ram is bad
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 11:50pm On Oct 24, 2010
4llerbuntu:

hmmn well from what the canonical dude was saying, i guess they are looking at QT, without the baggage, (all the talk about simplicity)

anyway, it wont be a bad idea, as long as its native and is fast!

anyways, anyone with background knowhow on how to set up a UPS with Ubuntu?
i got an APC, its old but it does its job well, as long as i change the batteries.

i found some packages for ubuntu/APC and installed them but as far as i know i could as well be deceiving myself. am presently consulting google, but some of the stuff i see am not encouraged to try. i dont like messing with important stuff like power management when im not sure the proffered solution will work, or not break my system.

any pointers?

for one, the ups simply uses a power cable to get to my pc, im seeing stuff like usb connections stuff online, sorry how do these stuff work?
Your usp must be the smart ups range. we use them to power the servers where i work and we run them with apc daemon package which is available in the repository. basically it allows us to have a fully automated server in relation to backup. we were able to configure the ups to shut down the servers when power is out and the ups backup capacity is at 10% and to start the servers once power is restored. I would dig through some of the docs I used and get back to u
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:57am On Oct 25, 2010
aiiight, thanks.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bd1(m): 4:12am On Oct 25, 2010
I think it is strange the the original poster posted  "Ubuntu is somewhere in between Mandriva (formerly Mandrake) and Fedora Core in terms of ease of use." because Mandriva and Fedora Core are Redhat based systems. Why not compare Ubuntu to other Debian based systems like Mint or the mother system Debian?

Things were very wrong from the start. The standard install cd image has a bug that causes the install program to be unable to mount the cdrom on some chip sets. This forces users to use the DVD image or use the internet install cdrom. The ubuntu team has to know about this because I found several post about it when researching a solution on google.

The default window menu buttons are on the wrong side of the window and in the wrong order. The arrangement makes my eyes hurt.

Flash is constantly crashing in Firefox and Google Chrome. They could have at least selected a stable version of flash. I do not have that issue on other distros.

The shutdown button in the GUI did not even work. I had to shut the system down in a terminal using "shutdown -h now". You should not have to know linux commands if you run a n00b distro. I was also disappointed that the root account is disabled in Ubuntu. Having to use sudo for all administrative task quickly became irritating. One of the first things I did was "sudo passwd"

The only thing that I liked is that the kernel is complied with desktop friendly settings.

My attempt to convert a windows user ended in complete disappointment. If that was my first Linux experience I would still be running windows.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:29pm On Oct 25, 2010

@ b-_-D i really do not quite get what you are saying, one you are apparently speaking right out of the blue, 2 who said ubuntu is between mandriva and fedora?
three some of your complaints i find curious, you mean you think a noob should be allowed easy access to admin privileges? a person who absolutely does not know anything in terminal be allowed to run cmds without any form of failsafe? YOU are the first person i know, who finds this strange. maybe u shld use puppylinux then!!!

the menu buttons are right where they are put!!! they were moved over in 10.04 (amidst complaints) but more crucially u can simply move them back to the right in gconf, or just use ubuntu tweak(that works for noobs like me!!)

i dont know of bugs and chipsets, are u trying to install on a SPARC?
sigh, flash DOES NOT crash firefox and chrome!!! i challenge you to refute that!! that would have caused such a hullabaloo everywhere!!

that i find these your complaints weird.
64 bit flash used to have issues but even that has been ironed out decently.

and as for shutting down buttons, are you sure ur install .iso is ok? how can you not be able to shut down with the button?

you are the first person i have heard all these complaints from in 2 years, and frankly i hope you are just trolling

cuz if you are serious, then put up PROPER complaints starting with the issues concisely and the hardware on which you have them.

also pls eliminate the obvious like test your .iso for errors and do a MD5sum on it too!!

frankly for someone who claims not to be a noob, your complaints are shocking!!!!!

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bd1(m): 11:19pm On Oct 25, 2010
@ 4llerbuntu The first poster posted ubuntu is between mandriva and fedora in terms of usability.

I have a link that shows what I am saying about the Family tree of Linux distributions.
http://www.gnome-look.org/CONTENT/content-pre1/57722-1.png

I realize you can damage your system with the root account but how do we learn if we do not make mistakes. When I started using Linux in 1996 there was no such thing as n00b Linux systems. Linux users were more proficient users than. My current Linux systems are Gentoo, Debian, ASTLinux and ClearOS. Gentoo is my desktop computer. Debian powers my LAN side MySQL data base, Samba, and ZoneMinder. ClearOS functions as my firewall and provides a few services. ASTLinux powers my Asterisk PBX system.

I used gconf to change the window menu. The fact that the window placement was changed says some agree with me on that issue.

The computer I did the install on has a Nvidia nForce3-250Gb chip set. From what I can tell there is an issue with the kernel used on that install cd. My md5sum matches the one on the install page.

I gave the user Ubuntu because I thought Gentoo would be too much for a new user to handle.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:40am On Oct 26, 2010
i believe you should have updated the install immediately.

i remember there was a bug with the .25 kernel which an update came out for within 24 hrs. after release of 10.10

it really shouldnt be an issue anymore. u may try that. will look round for that bug sha, lets see what we come up with

the first poster made that post in 2006 was it? check the dateline, lol that was even on 5.04!!!!! 
im not sure at that time i even knew that linux had a gui desktop interface grin grin grin grin grin grin
if u read the first 3 pages im sure u would see a lot of stuff that are just hilarious looking back at it now, even the poster would definitely not say that now. bottomline is we grow in the unix world, our knowledge and perceptions then are different from now.     

but that statement is downright hilarious grin grin grin grin grin where is chxta sef? i think he meant as per useability sha!!

and yes i agree, if u wanna give a noob linux, you are much better off starting with ubuntu or any of its plenty derivatives. the terminal stuff just has to be learnt adopted, over time everyone tends to find out that the terminal is the best tool there is!

to other things i recently discovered BURG!!!  and its bye bye to that hideous grub bootloader screen!! hello beauty. (u need to be dual booting or multi booting sha o)

i recommend that you all try it. its nice, a proper screen for choosing what os to boot. i cant take screenies, cuz, well the pc aint started yet (haven't remembered to install virtualbox)'

just follow this tut: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/10/install-and-configure-burg-in-ubuntu.html

what i did is installed the .deb of BUC first.

then added the repos (the repos is further down in the comments section) for burg and installed
i think its better than doing manual .debs, besides it helps for updates and stuff!!

it installed and launched the set up thingy (PAY ATTENTION TO THE SELECT HARD DRIVE TO INSTALL PART) it should be in the same place your grub is!!
if grub is on sda, choose sda, not sda1

i think its real nice, has about 10? themes to choose from!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:18am On Oct 26, 2010
and it keeps getting better, gnome 3 is to use compiz instead of mutter!!!: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/10/unity-to-use-compiz-instead-of-mutter.html

and on a much more annoying note, also hearing that unity is gonna be the new desktop!!! i dont agree. its all good for the netbooks but for my desktop, i think i prefer what i have now!!! besides, its not really customiseable!! thats what i do, customize my desktop till it breaks embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

anyway, i dont have to upgrade, i dont have to, . . . . . . . . . . . . . till i see someone running it and that crazy itch starts again grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bd1(m): 11:14am On Oct 26, 2010
@ 4llerbuntu

When you get around to installing virtualbox also install xterm. Virtualbox is much faster if you start it from the console.

ps -A | grep gdm & ps -A | grep kdm

if you see kdm use /etc/init.d/kdm stop

if you see gdm use /etc/init.d/gdm stop

Once the GUI is down.

xinit /usr/bin/xterm &

This will start xorg with only a terminal. Than type virtualbox &

Typing exit in xterm will end the Xorg session.

/etc/init.d/kdm start
or
/etc/init.d/kdm start

Will bring things back to normal.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:55pm On Oct 26, 2010
shocked shocked shocked shocked

go down into x to start vbox? aah, well evrything runs better when started from x though!!. u know u just gave me a great idea, i shld be starting my wine games from x. that way it uses all the grpahics card alone!!!

genius B-D genius.

hmmn anyway i have started learning how to run games in wine now o. currently playing 3 different NFS titles in wine!!!! not bad at all y'know!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 12:26am On Oct 27, 2010
a couple of things

4llerbuntu u can get a screenie of burg by running "burg-emu" or something like that on d terminal. Used to use burg but don't anymore. Back to Grub.

also, using "/etc/init.d/gdm stop" to end gdm is old. A much better way to do it is simply typing "service gdm stop" and to start, "service gdm start". This might not work on non Ubuntu n its derivatives OSes so u might wanna stick with the first way when dealing with them.

I'm not yet sure how i feel about unity being d default for desktops. As i recall, a lot of d decisions made when working on it, like integrating d title and menu bars into d top panel, were made cos it was for netbooks with smaller screens. If that is moved over to desktops, it will give d haters all d more reason to call ubuntu a mac clone, and i might be inclined to agree. i guess we'll just see how it goes.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Koolwilly(m): 7:34pm On Oct 27, 2010
@4ller i love that desktop background i saw above, what falour is that
I have not been able to install that linux 10.10 It gives an error when it gets to a particular point, that either the disk, my cdrom or my hard disk is bad that setup cannot continue, i have written close to 10 cds and i am still getting the same error
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bd1(m): 2:02am On Oct 28, 2010
@ Koolwilly Backup all data on the drive. This WILL destroy ALL data on the hard drive!

Boot the install cdrom in rescue mode. Run badblocks -sw /dev/hda or badblocks -sw /dev/sda on the hard drive.

[center]
Once again this WILL destroy ALL data on the hard drive![/center]
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:06am On Oct 28, 2010
@ koolwilly thats macbuntu!!!!! tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

thats mac themeing for ubuntu. google for macbuntu. its on source forge. its a 40 mb pack, contains a script which will download some other stuff to convert your desktop to that look.

if you want the wallpaper only just google for mac snow leopard wallpaper
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Koolwilly(m): 3:37pm On Oct 28, 2010
b-_-d:

@ Koolwilly Backup all data on the drive. This WILL destroy ALL data on the hard drive!

Boot the install cdrom in rescue mode. Run badblocks -sw /dev/hda or badblocks -sw /dev/sda on the hard drive.

[center]
Once again this WILL destroy ALL data on the hard drive![/center]
How can i boot from Safe Mode?? What would that command do to it??
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bd1(m): 6:44am On Oct 29, 2010
@ Koolwilly rescue mode is a option for most linux install cdroms.

If you read the first prompt from the Ubuntu cdrom you will see how to boot into rescue mode.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Koolwilly(m): 8:41pm On Oct 29, 2010
you mean i should run from wothin windows??
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:44pm On Oct 29, 2010
grr i've had it with wizards; why oh why didn't i use my usual normal "manually specify partition" when installing this ubuntu netbook edition; now the thing has wiped out my whole hard disk - all my windows and my netbsd and my over 7 distros  have been wiped clean ; to make matters worse even the ubuntu netbook is not even booting; now i'll have to figure out a way to restore at least most of my partitions
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:32pm On Oct 30, 2010
pls id like to disgrace myself a bit! (note, I BITE, HARD!!! tongue tongue tongue)

i want to convert my desktop into a gaming/Media rig for my sitting room and dump it under the tv permanently.

now my question is this, i use XBMC, i like it, i often find that its said to support a lot of remote controllers. how does that work? my desktop does not have any such thing as a remote control etc.

does that mean i need some separate box or device to use a remote with XBMC?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bd1(m): 5:45pm On Oct 30, 2010
look at a linux based DVR with miro. i have work i will break this down later

(1) (2) (3) ... (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.