Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,191 members, 7,887,452 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 09:06 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (81) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (473067 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 7:07am On Oct 31, 2010
4llerbuntu:

pls id like to disgrace myself a bit! (note, I BITE, HARD!!! tongue tongue tongue)

i want to convert my desktop into a gaming/Media rig for my sitting room and dump it under the tv permanently.

now my question is this, i use XBMC, i like it, i often find that its said to support a lot of remote controllers. how does that work? my desktop does not have any such thing as a remote control etc.

does that mean i need some separate box or device to use a remote with XBMC?
I have been thinking along this line myself. Linux has plenty of media center solutions but it seems most of them work with setup boxes like your dstv decoders. something like mythtv for example interfaces between your decoder and your tv and could help in recording programs, skipping ads etc. we also have some internet centric solutions like boxee which (is very slick) but are meant to aggregate all your web content and make them viewable from the Tv. This is really not ideal for Nigeria for reasons we all know. One thing you could do is install something like boxee and run it offline it has a very slick UI (I think based on XBMC?) Movida (formerly elisa) is also a good option u might want to consider. google it
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 12:44pm On Nov 01, 2010
With all the talk of Ubuntu and gnome being awesome and stuff. I decided to give Ubuntu 10.10 a go on my laptop after all I was a gnomeie for almost 2 years before I switched to kde. I wanted to see what has changed and have a feel of much talked about Canonical's polish of gnome. While I have to admit Ubuntu has done a good job with gnome. I had some reservations with Maverick and gnome generally. The first thing That stroke me was the look and feel which is dated compared to what I am used to on kde. gtk generally could do with some facelift compared to Qt4 which looks elegant from the start gtkjust don't cut it for me. I tried some of the best themes all the elements and ambiance of this world but that didn't help much. I spend 80% of my day time staring at a pc monitor so what I look at has to be appealing to the eye. just my IMHO.

The next issue I had with it was the pim suite. Evolution has gone a long way especially the 2.3 version which now supports IMAP IDLE (Push email) and the google mail support is not bad at all. But it still lacked the integration u get with kontact on kde. Kontact is simply awesome and its would be very hard to beat. The whole fusion of kaddressbook, korganiser and kmail all working like glue is hard to beat and is the first thing a kde user would miss about evolution.I could not figure out how to pull my contacts from google contacts and get setup a two way sync with google for my contacts (which also have birthdays details attached to them.) I was unable to get this to work with gnome. although I was impressed with the way evolution calendar is integrated with the time applet by displaying appointments and if u double click on a date it opens a calendar field for that date.

One major drip I had with gnome has been the share amount of 3rd party app I had to install to get a desktop of my choice.  with kde almost everything I needed were available for me ootb.  I had to install gnome-do, docky, ubuntu tweak, gwibber sucks for Microbloging and could not find a decent native gtk client for that.  No easy way to manage connected devices (Kde had this awesome tool called device manager) and worse of all no decent widget system (screenlet's development halted 2 years ago when the lead dev went awol)  add the fact that I had to contend with the sound indicator which was a pain in the behind and just but ugly.

of all this though the thing I missed the most from kde was nepomuk and semantic searching and tagging. ON kde I could always add tags and notes to my files . I could add tags to important work documents for easy search later. and the searching on kde is killer completely blows tracker and its implementation on gnome out of the water. I just need to type the name of a document (or a text of what is contained in it) and it would show up in the result. I hadly ever have to dig into my folders to look for stuff anymore. for me this feature is a must. the way it is implemented in gnome is painful and requires many clicks and even then slow with inaccurate results.

add the ability to setup different destkop activities for work home and play and switch to which desktop I want to be on.
simple things like using klauncher for calculations by just typing in my additions.
Dolphin filemanager which is lighter and much more powerful than  nautilus.
gwenview which gives me the ability to view pictures / and videos and also upload them to (or import from)  flickr,facebook,picassa,etc all by a matter of rightclicks.
Choqok is by far (and I mean by a very far margin) the best Microblogging client on Linux. in term of stability and features nothing even comes close.
folder view allows me to have a container for managing my desktop ( or any folder) rather than having files scattered all over my desktop.
and very powerful widget system with tons of useful widgets all integrated and built into the desktop shell
KDE is also very internet aware and anything like themes,icons,plasma widget, wallpapers, emoticons, many other customization contents can be downloaded online without even entering a browser. just right click and get new themes and it fetches a list of themes from kde-look.org.

I can go on and on. But in the end I had to go back to kde. Gnome was just too limiting for my use case. KDE raised the bar with an elegant, yet powerful Desktop.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:06pm On Nov 01, 2010
u know i have long thought about the KDE / GNOME THING!.

i agree with you in some respects. eg. the tracker thingy and searching for files/tagging them. that is such a cool thing to have esp if you deal with sooooo many docs like a do.

also the polish bit, well. . . . . . am of too minds about that. i do think KDE looks really glitzy and classy, BUT. i find it very plain and monochromatic!!!
i believe that you are soo used to it, tweaking and pimping it comes naturally. for me it looked like a great big slab of white with funny buttons!!

and i found the menu tedious to use. its just like windows menu, too many sublevels. on gnome max 2 clicks on the menu will open my app for me, on KDE i was trying to figure out the next step and constantly trying to remember under which section what i was looking for was in!

i did'nt like the menu buttons etc. i know that is readily remediable. sorta like default gnome always looks hideous and all that but a few tweaks and its reborn!

KDE network manager was really really kool!!!, but sometimes confused me as to what the status of my connection was (i was using dial-up)

Microblogging killed it, there is no app anywhere else in the world that is better than that one in KDE period!!!

i had issues with functionality. that thing does not fly well with Modems and IP's and whatnot. it worked, but it took quite a bit of patience and trying to figure out wassup!!

Kpackagekit is a big disgrace. totally confusing and from someone who uses synaptic, that is not a good testimony. i think it should be entirely redesigned, or else they just adopt the software center type of thing for it. im not that wet behind the ears for ubuntu/linux, but i found it impossible to install synaptic and some other stuff. it was pretty much hit and miss. some stuff installed, some refused!!!

i dont really like Amarok and the other default apps, like that browser. immediately tried to get chromium, was going round in circles!!!

BOTTOMLINE IS, i think for KDE, you either fall in love outrightly, or just generally avoid it. MY issues i clearly see are caused by the fact that i am very very used to Gnome, and simply like it for its ugliness and simplicity.
i dont have a thing against KDE per se, i have used numerous other inferior desktop enviroments without complaints, XFCE, FLUXBOX, ICEWM, JVM but i dunno.

i feel the KDE thing i would have to take my time to learn and get used to the feel. it does look more polished than gnome, but i believe thats on the surface. scratch that and you may end up being properly confused as to what is there except you are a seasoned user. i sure would have issues putting a noob on Kubuntu!!!

anyway, this is about to become moot anyway. Canonical seem to have taken the copying apple criticisms to heart and are bent on going anywhere than mainstream now!! this new fangled idea of adopting the Unity desktop/QT integration seems pretty confusing to me. i dont think i like the unity interface for my pc (from what iv seen). which oddly seems to mean that they are ditching GNOME 3!!!!!

despite the complaints, i would take Gnome 3 with compiz anyday instead of this Unity thingy!! hmmn i dunno o.

anyway, how much issues will i get if i add the KDE to my Gnome install. i will remove most of the KDE apps anyway, just wondering if the issues will be too much to bear?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 2:56pm On Nov 01, 2010
To balance things out. I have to say that although I do not personally use gnome. I have to say in term of stability its well known being just about the same desktop since 2005 and what we have now is a cumulation of updates which hads little features here and there. also in term of ease of use, especially for new users I would always recommend gnome. even at work where I have to setup linux for our staffs systems gnome is the supported platform due to the long term stability and ease of use. Kde can be quite overwhelming for new users. and kubuntu lacks the final touch and polish which Ubuntu gave to gnome. Kubuntu is just raw kde with little distro modification (which is good for me) with only one canonical dev working on Kubuntu the bulk of development work is handled by the community and decision making is community based so we dont get the situation where canonical decide the direction of the project. I just felt I should add this information to balance things out. Kde is awesome but it is also a work in progress and many part of it are still been put together. I would not recommend it to a new user. But for more experience linux users like me I find it just the perfect setup
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 4:10pm On Nov 01, 2010
4llerbuntu:

also the polish bit, well. . . . . . am of too minds about that. i do think KDE looks really glitzy and classy, BUT. i find it very plain and monochromatic!!!
i believe that you are soo used to it, tweaking and pimping it comes naturally. for me it looked like a great big slab of white with funny buttons!!

and i found the menu tedious to use. its just like windows menu, too many sublevels. on gnome max 2 clicks on the menu will open my app for me, on KDE i was trying to figure out the next step and constantly trying to remember under which section what i was looking for was in!
i did'nt like the menu buttons etc. i know that is readily remediable. sorta like default gnome always looks hideous and all that but a few tweaks and its reborn!
One of the biggest criticism of kde is that its is very cluttered and full of menu. too much choices and preferences and settings can confuse/overwhelm a user. While this is mostly true. One also has to know that the idea of making options available to the user and allowing him to decide and make the system his own than limiting the options available and instead choosing sane defaults. The very foundation of kde is to make options available to users. it is the very reason many power users prefer kde because it does not hide options. However even though it does take some efforts a user can make his kde as clean and buttonless as he wants. for me kde is the best of both worlds it allows the user to make his app have as many button as possible or even no button at all. The default though exposes the options allowing the user to hide them if he so wishes. take a look at some of the apps I use everyday on kde and tell me they are clustered.

[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1113/5135565331_bbd3f056c8_z.jpg
[/img]

[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1132/5135572965_5587ea49db_z.jpg
[/img]

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/5136177344_f4fac7c1a4_z.jpg
[/img]

KDE network manager was really really kool!!!, but sometimes confused me as to what the status of my connection was (i was using dial-up)

Microblogging killed it, there is no app anywhere else in the world that is better than that one in KDE period!!!

i had issues with functionality. that thing does not fly well with Modems and IP's and whatnot. it worked, but it took quite a bit of patience and trying to figure out wassup!!
Network manager is one of the grey areas of kde. The kde frontend to network manager is still under heavy development and is yet to see a stable release yet. what many distribution ship with are development snapshots. Currently there is no automated way to handle mobile connectivity but there are work in Solid (the hardware abstraction layer for kde) to bring mobile support there. for now u can always use gnome network manager without any issues.

Kpackagekit is a big disgrace. totally confusing and from someone who uses synaptic, that is not a good testimony. i think it should be entirely redesigned, or else they just adopt the software center type of thing for it. im not that wet behind the ears for ubuntu/linux, but i found it impossible to install synaptic and some other stuff. it was pretty much hit and miss. some stuff installed, some refused!!!
Kpackagekit was a pain to use on kubuntu 10.04 but as of 10.10 a new UI frontend has been written for it which makes it much more usable and imho even better and more stable compared to what I say in software center which is an ubuntu specific app. one of my beef with canonical is heavy NIH (Not Invented Here) going on in the company. rather than work with the general community to help make packagekit better for all there choose to work on their own software center which only benefits Ubuntu. Kubuntu uses the general kpackagekit which is same u find on fedora many other kde distros. Its not there yet but its a huge improvements.

i dont really like Amarok and the other default apps, like that browser. immediately tried to get chromium, was going round in circles!!!
I have a love and hate relationship with amarok too. but by and large it is still my music player of choice. It too is undergoing lots of development
. when am not using it I am using clementine which is also a good alternative to amarok. it is a fork of amarok 1.4

BOTTOMLINE IS, i think for KDE, you either fall in love outrightly, or just generally avoid it. MY issues i clearly see are caused by the fact that i am very very used to Gnome, and simply like it for its ugliness and simplicity.
i dont have a thing against KDE per se, i have used numerous other inferior desktop enviroments without complaints, XFCE, FLUXBOX, ICEWM, JVM but i dunno.

i feel the KDE thing i would have to take my time to learn and get used to the feel. it does look more polished than gnome, but i believe thats on the surface. scratch that and you may end up being properly confused as to what is there except you are a seasoned user. i sure would have issues putting a noob on Kubuntu!!!
Like many things kde does take time to get used to. but once u are use to it. Its hard to leave. you would always feel out of place else where. like gnome it is not for everyone and has its own user base who swear by kde. just as gnome has it's. In the end its all down to choice. Its a good thing we have that in this part of the digital divide.

anyway, this is about to become moot anyway. Canonical seem to have taken the copying apple criticisms to heart and are bent on going anywhere than mainstream now!! this new fangled idea of adopting the Unity desktop/QT integration seems pretty confusing to me. i dont think i like the unity interface for my pc (from what iv seen). which oddly seems to mean that they are ditching GNOME 3!!!!!
people always mix Qt with kde. although kde is based on Qt. it is really different from Qt and has it's own set of libraries. there are tons of apps which are Qt app but not kde apps (looking at virtualbox, skype, vlc) just as we have many gtk app which are not gnome apps (pidgin, ok I can only remember pidgin)
despite the complaints, i would take Gnome 3 with compiz anyday instead of this Unity thingy!! hmmn i dunno o.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:32pm On Nov 01, 2010
i think its unfortunate too.

if canonical actually did pay attention to kubuntu, it would have been awesome. considering that a community effort got it this far is stunning.!!
now if they go into unity, what then becomes of the gnome project and kubuntu? 1 less distro using them, and a major one at that!!

lets wait and see sha, for me, i'd really like to see how far Gnome project can take it
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 5:39pm On Nov 01, 2010
4llerbuntu:

i think its unfortunate too.

if canonical actually did pay attention to kubuntu, it would have been awesome. considering that a community effort got it this far is stunning.!!
now if they go into unity, what then becomes of the gnome project and kubuntu? 1 less distro using them, and a major one at that!!

lets wait and see sha, for me, i'd really like to see how far Gnome project can take it
I don't think the gnome desktop would miss Ubuntu in terms of code contributions and development. Ubuntu contributes very very little back to gnome anyway as most of the improvements made to gnome for Ubuntu are not sent upstream. The main champion of the gnome desktop in term of developement has been redhat,Novel, google. even nokia and collabora contribute more to gnome than canonical does. I personally think this move by canonical would end up being their undoing. Ever since Mark Shuttleworth left management position at canonical to become a defacto head of the design team for Ubuntu. Things have turned for the worse IMHO Ubuntu started to take decisions without consulting the community. and also not doing much to work with upstream. Rather NIH seems to be the order. Going Unity rather than have people work to bring gnome shell to life just confirms this selfish attitude from canonical. In the end I see it burning them in the hand and see them coming back to the gnome fold maybe when gnome 3 wuld have gotten its act together.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:16pm On Nov 02, 2010
fola@Aspire-5517:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
[sudo] password for fola:
Reading package lists, Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information, Done
Calculating upgrade, Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
compiz compiz-core compiz-gnome compiz-plugins empathy empathy-common
evolution evolution-common evolution-data-server
evolution-data-server-common evolution-exchange evolution-plugins firefox
firefox-branding firefox-gnome-support gcalctool gwibber gwibber-service
libcamel1.2-14 libdecoration0 libebackend1.2-0 libebook1.2-9 libecal1.2-7
libedata-book1.2-2 libedata-cal1.2-7 libedataserver1.2-13
libedataserverui1.2-8 libegroupwise1.2-13 libevolution libgdata-google1.2-1
libgdata1.2-1 nautilus-sendto-empathy xulrunner-1.9.2 xulrunner-1.9.2-dev
xulrunner-dev
35 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 37.3MB of archives.
After this operation, 4,096B disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Err http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-updates/main libdecoration0 i386 1:0.8.6-0ubuntu9.1
Connection failed [IP: 91.189.92.172 80]
Err http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-updates/main compiz-gnome i386 1:0.8.6-0ubuntu9.1
Connection failed [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]
0% [Waiting for headers]

the foregoing is what i have been getting on my pc, and i dont understand!!!!

synaptic works fine, but even that one gives me this authentication issues for the launchpad repos. i have tried to import the keys to no avail.

i usually just use terminal for my updates and installs and ignore the auth warnings but now terminal aint working at all.

my internet is fine!

whats up, any pointers? angry angry angry angry
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 2:28am On Nov 05, 2010
Ubuntu will be moving over to unity on d desktop and server which essentially is a fork of gnome , or at least, gnome shell. I don't know if this will help cannonical though. do they have the man power necessary to manage a complete DE and OS? also, read something on mark shuttleworth's blog today about leaving X windowing server to use something called Wayland which is supposed to be a GL based Windowing server. I guess this means in 'bout a year or so (if this doesnt go by d way of windicators and other promised but yet to be seen features), we should have smooth transitions and movement of windows as first class citizens on the desktop and not subject to Compiz or Mutter much like OSx. Once again, this is a departure from stock gnome. Here's wishing cannonical doesnt bite off more than they can chew.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 10:46pm On Nov 05, 2010
Guys i need ur help oh. I have not been able to setup a Visafone modem on Ubuntu 10.10.

It is a ZTE modem

ZTE AC8710

I have googled extensively and apparently, it supposed to work, except, it doesnt. I have usb-modeswitch installed (i think it comes with 10.10 by default).

On running usb-devices command, it displays only the mass-storage driver for this device so there is nothing to switch to (I can't paste the output right now cos i'm on windows). That gives me the impression that the driver is not installed at all and this is not a matter of switching. If someone out there has gotten this particular modem to work to any version of ubuntu or even other linux before, please let me know so that i will consider switching back to 10.04 or maybe another distro as long as it works with the modem. for now, i'm stuck to browsing on windows.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 8:11am On Nov 06, 2010
muyiscoi:

Guys i need your help oh. I have not been able to setup a Visafone modem on Ubuntu 10.10.

It is a ZTE modem

ZTE AC8710

I have googled extensively and apparently, it supposed to work, except, it doesnt. I have usb-modeswitch installed (i think it comes with 10.10 by default).

On running usb-devices command, it displays only the mass-storage driver for this device so there is nothing to switch to (I can't paste the output right now cos i'm on windows). That gives me the impression that the driver is not installed at all and this is not a matter of switching. If someone out there has gotten this particular modem to work to any version of ubuntu or even other linux before, please let me know so that i will consider switching back to 10.04 or maybe another distro as long as it works with the modem. for now, i'm stuck to browsing on windows.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Although network manager has really made the process of connecting to Mobile card dead easy. It does fall on its head sometimes. which is where a tool which has always worked were network manager fails comes in handy. wvdial. it always worked for me. it is commandline but very easy to use
just plug ur card and do a
sudo wvdialconf
it would configure your card and save the settings to /etc/wvdial.conf where u can there update your card settings like username and password. once done u can start the modem with sudo wvdial. and even configure it to gnome-ppp or kppp
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 10:20am On Nov 06, 2010
thanks for the info. i'll give it a try
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:30pm On Nov 07, 2010
@muyis yeah, before that you might want to make sure your modem is actually detected; look for ttyUSB0 to ttyUSB03 in your /dev folder; if it isn't found then it means you modem hasn't been detected; what you need to do is check that the entry for your usb modem is listed in the modeswich conf file; first type lsusb to get the vendor and product id and note them, then edit the udev rules file for modeswitch which would be found in the /lib/udev/rules.d folder (normally what i would do would be somethig like sudo nano (or gedit or whatever text editor you use) /lib/udev/rules.d/*modeswitch* (since i use multiple distros the name of the file may be different but there's only one modeswich file in that folder) check that the entry for your modem is there, else add it then remove modem and replug, wait a few seconds and it should be there

@rovar i myself don't like using those "network manager" utilities kppp is still ok, at least with it i can set a timeout in case i fall asleep while i'm browsing but my dialer of choice is wvdial. i've started looking at kde again and it's not so bad after all; my main grouse is the panel; i can customise colors for everything else but i have to use predefined themes or download or is there something i'm missing somewhere?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:43pm On Nov 07, 2010
about the unity thing, i currently have the netbook version of 10.10 and i've discovered it's actually possible to use it either in netbook form or the desktop form that we're used to; had to download compiz though, before i was able to get the gui effects that i'm used to
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Koolwilly(m): 12:14pm On Nov 12, 2010
@all Please i really need your help, I had to reformat the entire Hard Disk of my laptop and decided to reinstall linux on the entire hard disk space but i still got the normal error message i have been getting.

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Koolwilly(m): 12:15pm On Nov 12, 2010
@all Please i really need your help, I had to reformat the entire Hard Disk of my laptop and decided to reinstall linux on the entire hard disk space but i still got the normal error message i have been getting.

Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 3:28pm On Nov 12, 2010
@Koolwilly have you tried following the instructions from the prompt in the screenshot below?

Also, I suggest you use a USB drive to install ubuntu instead of a CD drive. It is faster and is not prone to errors from burning like CDs
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:25pm On Nov 12, 2010
im not usually a big fan of ubuntu remasters. i dont even like Mint, though i often recommend it for new users. but these days its getting limited too in my view, and that daft idea of switching to rolling debian just about cooks it. how dumb, so they expect newbies to use rolling debian?

esp since i discovered that doing them was ridiculously easy. only ish is your personal branding, if you want to make it distinctive.

anyway, i was idle, trawling the net then decided to actually waste some bandwidth on a remaster i had looked at once, PINGUY-OS its on sourceforge

man i am pretty amazed. well not really but that chap just made my life easier. the only i would grab myself would be my VGA drivers, and XBMC, and Chromium

everthing else is there, even more than i need, and the customisations are tastefully done with a lot of sense.

im gonna blow away my / and put this there tonite.

but im gonna remove that dratted nautilus-elementary. i fail to see what the hype is about. the thing crashes on my pc all the time, even ejecting a drive is problematic
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Koolwilly(m): 4:55am On Nov 15, 2010
@All thanks for your suppport, i have finally installed UBUNTU LINUX 10.10 from the live CD sent to me from canonical, Please i need help on installing JRE,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by BankoleO1: 8:32am On Nov 15, 2010
Hi everyone am about installing Linux Unbutu 10.10 fedora on a partition of my laptop, but how do I get India Web Proxy to work grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:22pm On Nov 15, 2010
Koolwilly:

@All thanks for your suppport, i have finally installed UBUNTU LINUX 10.10 from the live CD sent to me from canonical, Please i need help on installing JRE,

jre is in the repositories. you may as well get it along with the other restricted extras.

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

or just open up synaptic and type sun java, choose the appropriate ones and apply.

@ bankole O, i guess the same applies to you.

after installing java, to run a java application you need to change directory into the folder in which the app is in, then run sudo java -jar IndiaWebProxy.jar

for instance if the stuff is in a folder named india on my desktop, i would open a terminal, run "cd /fola/Home/desktop/india
then run it as above.

or do it as a newbie should: open a terminal, type cd<space> then drag the folder containing the java app into the terminal and press enter. voila you have changed directory into that folder

<space> means press space once, not type that o! grin grin grin grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Koolwilly(m): 6:51pm On Nov 15, 2010
@4ller the issue i have now is that i cant get my modem to work with ubuntu, but it sees my Nokia E71 as a modem, plz i need help.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by BankoleO1: 11:30pm On Nov 15, 2010
4llerbuntu:

jre is in the repositories. you may as well get it along with the other restricted extras.

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

or just open up synaptic and type sun java, choose the appropriate ones and apply.

@ bankole O, i guess the same applies to you.

after installing java, to run a java application you need to change directory into the folder in which the app is in, then run sudo java -jar IndiaWebProxy.jar

for instance if the stuff is in a folder named india on my desktop, i would open a terminal, run "cd /fola/Home/desktop/india
then run it as above.

or do it as a newbie should: open a terminal, type cd<space> then drag the folder containing the java app into the terminal and press enter. voila you have changed directory into that folder

<space> means press space once, not type that o! grin grin grin grin

Installing the java do I have to be online to install it?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:40am On Nov 17, 2010
yeah you have to be oniine.

i can teach u how to do it offline too, but you will have to use the terminal, and you need to get the jre binary file for linux from sun anyway. the way you get an .exe for windows.

if you no mind then say so i point the instructions.

@ koolwilly, youknow the drill naw, to help you we need details. which modem, model name and number, what does the pc say etc etc.

anyway for starters, plug in he modem b4 booting the pc, boot it , then open a terminal and run: lsusb

post the output here lets see
Re: Ubuntu Linux by BankoleO1: 2:58pm On Nov 17, 2010
4llerbuntu:

yeah you have to be oniine.

i can teach u how to do it offline too, but you will have to use the terminal, and you need to get the jre binary file for linux from sun anyway. the way you get an .exe for windows.

if you no mind then say so i point the instructions.

@ koolwilly, youknow the drill naw, to help you we need details. which modem, model name and number, what does the pc say etc etc.

anyway for starters, plug in he modem b4 booting the pc, boot it , then open a terminal and run: lsusb

post the output here lets see

Yes Kindly direct me on the steps to follow and yea I will have to install my 3G usb modem on it also I will need help with that thanks. smiley
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:24pm On Nov 17, 2010
modems dont get installed in ubuntu, they simply work.
what is the the model name and number of your usb modem?

normally you simply plug it in, wait like 5 secs then click on the network mgr thingy you should see either a dialog for making a dial up connection. it even has presets for countries and networks. the one for mtn is there and correct too.

after creating, you can then subsequently simply click on that icon to select the connection.

TIP: some modems like E156G can be funny at times, i usually need to let the system boot with it plugged in so that it loads the drivers modules for it properly, subsequently i can remove and plug in at will.

for JAVA MANUAL INSTALL:
im trying to make this very point and click friendly lipsrsealed

get the latest binary from here: http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=42723

after download, right click on the file, choose the permissions tab, tick the box that says make it executable. ave.

1 open a terminal, type gksudo nautilus
authenticate with your password and now you are superuser or root> be careful what u do in this terminal
mode

2. go to filesystem, go to the folder called opt, in that folder right click and a folder called java. enter that folder called java and make another folder and name it 32. enter into that folder.

3. now go back to the place you downloaded the java binary into, copy it into that 32 folder. then close the folder

4. now open up a fresh terminal. type the following
cd /opt/java/32
press enter

5. now type sudo ./<name of the java binary>.bin
press enter

(note the fullstop before the /, make sure its there. there is a space btw the sudo and the fullstop symbol)

6. it will show a long document like license agreement for the java. press enter til you get to the end of it where it
asks you to either say yes or no, type y and press enter. it will then unpack itself and "install". you will see a
new folder in the 32 folder, note the name of that folder when its finished close all open terminals and folders.

7. now open a new terminal and preferably just copy and paste the following commands:

sudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/java" "java" "/opt/java/32/jre1.6.0_22/bin/java" 1

followed by this one:

sudo update-alternatives --set java /opt/java/32/jre1.6.0_22/bin/java

please check the exact name of the decompressed folder in /opt/java/32 to make sure the name is then
same with that in the above lines. i mean the "jre1.6.0_22" part

simple. now you have java installed.

to test to see if thats true, just type: java -version in a terminal to see. it will report which version you have installed
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Koolwilly(m): 8:10pm On Nov 17, 2010
@4ller plz find out wat i got after entering the code below.
The modem is a universal HSDPA Modem by cimcom, but ubuntu sees it as a mass storage device,

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:34pm On Nov 17, 2010
i posted the java thingy for bankole, but the bot is sawllowing posts so check my last posts for the tut

@ koolwilly, it seems your modem is not detected. if you have alternative internet, download GPPP.

just check synaptic for it.

let me do some research, it seems we will have to compile drivers for dat modem or at least hack 1 to support it
Re: Ubuntu Linux by BankoleO1: 9:19pm On Nov 17, 2010
4llerbuntu:

i posted the java thingy for bankole, but the bot is sawllowing posts so check my last posts for the tut

@ koolwilly, it seems your modem is not detected. if you have alternative internet, download GPPP.

let me do some research, it seems we will have to compile drivers for dat modem or at least hack 1 to support it

Thanks for the tutorial, so after installing java file. Do you mean I can double click on IWP it will run?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Koolwilly(m): 9:48pm On Nov 17, 2010
4llerbuntu:

@4ller that particular modem is not detected, cos i am using A Multilinks Evdo Modem and it is detecting it, it also detects my Mobile fone too, plz do help me out.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:02am On Nov 18, 2010
@ koolwilly, youb need to chill till weekend for me.

@ bankole, download the attachment and remove the .png extension. put it in the same folder with iwp. double click to launch
its an executable script

generally to launch java programs, you change directory into the folder where the archive is, then run "sudo java -jar <name of fle> .jar

eg. sudo java -jar IndiaWebProxy.jar

or sudo java -jar freedom.jar

Re: Ubuntu Linux by BankoleO1: 7:24am On Nov 18, 2010
4llerbuntu:

@ koolwilly, youb need to chill till weekend for me.

@ bankole, download the attachment and remove the .png extension. put it in the same folder with iwp. double click to launch
its an executable script

generally to launch java programs, you change directory into the folder where the archive is, then run "sudo java -jar <name of fle> .jar

eg. sudo java -jar IndiaWebProxy.jar

or sudo java -jar freedom.jar

Pls why am I getting such error, I dont have a cd to burn Ubuntu yet. So I tried installing the ISO directly with Wubi installer but I get this error why?

(1) (2) (3) ... (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.