Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,853 members, 7,872,854 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 12:05 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (79) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (470944 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:47pm On Oct 14, 2010
ok pics for koolwilly

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:50pm On Oct 14, 2010
the first 2 pics are ur options.

the partition that has ubuntu in my shot should be your own empty partition which u click on to select as the install partition.

the next shots are the other more advanced option referred to by me and evil brain which u somehow find urself there. follow the previous instructions along with the pics

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:55pm On Oct 14, 2010
i truly hope u get it this time. because of you i removed my Kubuntu install. (actually i started hating it lol)

that KDE remains a flight of fancy jare for me. cool for beginners with high end machines and love for gloss OR seasoned pros with a love for eyecandy.

what i will do is install the kde desktop, and boot into it occasionally to get a feel of it proper. i could'nt understand the kpackage kit thing. i wanted to install synaptic yet i couldnt and somehow terminal never seemed to work for installing. flash i could'nt get!!!

i will do them all in gnome with my fav apps, then get the KDE desktop so at least it wont seem so bad!! grin grin grin grin

i find functionality shockingly poor. Gnome is simple to use, straight forward. and i prefer it like that!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by v3: 4:57pm On Oct 14, 2010
never liked the side-by-side idea but its kool though.

My advice. . BACKUP YOUR winblows DATA BEFORE installation.

Uncle 4ller angry
Re: Ubuntu Linux by EvilBrain1(m): 5:57pm On Oct 14, 2010
Right, finally installed Maverick this AM and I'm having problems. The software centre is completely refusing to start. Very annoying

Does anyone have any ideas what I should do? I really don't feel like reinstalling again.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:59pm On Oct 14, 2010
@ v3 wetin?

unless u wanna do fresh partitioning/resizing, nuthin shld happen to ur windows!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:03pm On Oct 14, 2010
update the system first na!! they did a new kernel for 1 bug like dat. but quite clearly it did not affect you. if it did the entire system will be unuseable.

if that fails, remove software center completely, reinstall and try it.

if that still fails, throw away ur laptop grin grin grin grin grin

but seriously, is software center that important to you? anyway why not adopt the usb install method? its much much faster!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by EvilBrain1(m): 7:04pm On Oct 14, 2010
4llerbuntu:

update the system first na!! they did a new kernel for 1 bug like dat. but quite clearly it did not affect you. if it did the entire system will be unuseable.

if that fails, remove software center completely, reinstall and try it.

if that still fails, throw away your laptop grin grin grin grin grin

but seriously, is software center that important to you? anyway why not adopt the usb install method? its much much faster!

I had already updated before I even noticed the problem.
I found a fix where you go to System -> Preferences -> Main Menu and change the command for software centre but guess what? Main Menu isn't starting either. Neither is gdebi.

I think I'll try reinstalling with the usb method like you said.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chxta(m): 8:19pm On Oct 14, 2010
Evil Brain:

Right, finally installed Maverick this AM and I'm having problems. The software centre is completely refusing to start. Very annoying

Does anyone have any ideas what I should do? I really don't feel like reinstalling again.

Was it a fresh install you did or an upgrade?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by EvilBrain1(m): 9:11pm On Oct 14, 2010
Chxta:

Was it a fresh install you did or an upgrade?

Fresh install.
I formatted the root partition but kept /Home with all my data. I don't think that can be the cause though.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Koolwilly(m): 1:24am On Oct 15, 2010
a very big thank you @evil brain and 4ller, i am installing linux ubuntu 10.10 as i type now
Re: Ubuntu Linux by EvilBrain1(m): 2:30pm On Oct 15, 2010
4llerbuntu:

Evil Brain:

I found a fix where you go to System -> Preferences -> Main Menu and change the command for software centre but guess what? Main Menu isn't starting either. Neither is gdebi.

It turns out that there's no gdebi in Maverick. Software centre now installs .deb files by default meaning I can't install all my programs without using the terminal. Downloading gdebi now.

Abeg if anybody finds a fix please help me out.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chxta(m): 6:45pm On Oct 15, 2010
Try starting the software centre from the command line

$ /usr/bin/software-center

If it crashes it would give output information. Paste the output information here let me see it.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:05pm On Oct 15, 2010
Re: Ubuntu Linux by EvilBrain1(m): 8:43pm On Oct 15, 2010
Chxta:

Try starting the software centre from the command line

$ /usr/bin/software-center

If it crashes it would give output information. Paste the output information here let me see it.

This is what I get:

gbemi@gbemi-Laptop:~$ /usr/bin/software-center
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/software-center", line 90, in <module>
app = SoftwareCenterApp(datadir, xapian_base_path, options, args)
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/app.py", line 149, in __init__
self.history = get_apt_history()
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/apt/apthistory.py", line 178, in get_apt_history
apt_history = AptHistory()
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/apt/apthistory.py", line 83, in __init__
self.rescan()
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/apt/apthistory.py", line 99, in rescan
self._scan(self.history_file)
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/apt/apthistory.py", line 116, in _scan
trans = Transaction(stanza)
File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/apt/apthistory.py", line 59, in __init__
"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"wink
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/_strptime.py", line 270, in <module>
_TimeRE_cache = TimeRE()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/_strptime.py", line 188, in __init__
self.locale_time = LocaleTime()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/_strptime.py", line 70, in __init__
self.lang = _getlang()
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/_strptime.py", line 29, in _getlang
return locale.getlocale(locale.LC_TIME)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/locale.py", line 497, in getlocale
return _parse_localename(localename)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/locale.py", line 410, in _parse_localename
raise ValueError, 'unknown locale: %s' % localename
ValueError: unknown locale: en_NG
gbemi@gbemi-Laptop:~$
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 11:58am On Oct 16, 2010
The problem lies in your language setting, change it from English Nigeria to English united states and that would fix the problem
Re: Ubuntu Linux by EvilBrain1(m): 1:39pm On Oct 16, 2010
adewaleafolabi:

The problem lies in your language setting, change it from English Nigeria to English united states and that would fix the problem

Solved. It was the language settings. I had fiddled with it before but I forgot I had to log out and log back in for the new setting to take effect. It's funny that nobody else had this problem.

Anyway, thanks a lot guys.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Chxta(m): 1:53pm On Oct 16, 2010
Ade got here first, which is good. In case of next time EB, the terminal is your friend. From the output of your problem,
Evil Brain:

ValueError: unknown locale: en_NG

That's where the issue was.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 2:46pm On Oct 16, 2010
Chxta:

Ade got here first, which is good. In case of next time EB, the terminal is your friend. From the output of your problem,
That's where the issue was.
grin grin
How are you doing chxta? long time can't just help but smile when i remember those old times,
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 10:57pm On Oct 16, 2010
Evil Brain:

Solved. It was the language settings. I had fiddled with it before but I forgot I had to log out and log back in for the new setting to take effect. It's funny that nobody else had this problem.

Anyway, thanks a lot guys.

you actually didn't really need to logout, all you had to do was type : "export LANG=en_GB" (without the quotes) and you'd be ok; i know 'cos i had a similar locale problem today (something to do with python) and did just that
Re: Ubuntu Linux by henryskywalker2003(m): 12:38am On Oct 19, 2010
I see they still haven't fixed the locale issue yet. Had that problem with 10.04 myself.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:59am On Oct 19, 2010
henryskywalker2003:

I see they still haven't fixed the locale issue yet. Had that problem with 10.04 myself.

funny i don't think i ever had a problem with the software centre (but then again i've always prefered apt-get or synaptic) but i think it's annoying that they'll include a locale like en_NG if some of their core applications are not going to support it; but then again, maybe people haven't complained about it so they're unaware that there's a problem
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:18pm On Oct 19, 2010
hmnnn can some one explain why my system clock always sets it self back by an hour? i noticed when i was installing that the installer always put nigerian time to be 1 hr behind, so i manually put in the right time. now it always sets itself back by an hour!

i have set the proper zone for the clock to be nigeria but. . . . . . . . .

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:29pm On Oct 19, 2010
@ evilbrain, ur posts aint visible tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

anyway undoubtedly linux is the shyte. the latest minitube client is the ish man.

i think the fact it doesnt use flash makes it work better sef, its so smooth and had no buffering wahala!!! chei. plus there is now a download option button

use the webud8 ppa to get it

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 12:06am On Oct 20, 2010
4llerbuntu:

hmnnn can some one explain why my system clock always sets it self back by an hour? i noticed when i was installing that the installer always put nigerian time to be 1 hr behind, so i manually put in the right time. now it always sets itself back by an hour!

i have set the proper zone for the clock to be nigeria but. . . . . . . . .

it has something about the hardware clock being set to utc (or something like that)
edit /etc/default/rcS and set UTC=no if you want ubuntu to use local time
(this is one of the things i find annoying about ubuntu; mint at least gives the option of decideing whether your hardware clock is set to local time or UTC when installing; but ubuntu just decides it has to be UTC)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 1:42am On Oct 20, 2010
Installed 10.10 yesterday and i've gotta say that i was pleasantly impressed.
Also had d issue of d locale but i've been having it since like 9.04 (only used to affect the menu configuration app then). so i just quickly changed d locale to en_GB. This issue has been reported and there is a bug open on launchpad. i know cos i filed a bug about Openshot Video editor not starting during its early days and it turned out to be an issue with the locale also. I think this only affects python based apps. Considering that Ubuntu prefers to use python in coding their apps, i think this is an issue that shld be resolved. maybe cos d population of ubuntu users with en_NG locale r few ,

anyway sha, i am enjoying this ubuntu release and i honestly think it is d best so far. Removing F-spot and replacing it with shotwell was an excellent decision plus the theme is so much better now n coupled with the new font, it all blends in beautifully
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:11pm On Oct 20, 2010
blackweaver:

it has something about the hardware clock being set to utc (or something like that)
edit /etc/default/rcS and set UTC=no if you want ubuntu to use local time
(this is one of the things i find annoying about ubuntu; mint at least gives the option of decideing whether your hardware clock is set to local time or UTC when installing; but ubuntu just decides it has to be UTC)

wierd the UTC was already set to no!!!!!

@ muyi, well its cool and i agree about shotwell too. i usually get gimp to resize screenies and i was pleasantly surprised that shotwell does that even much simpler sef!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 4:53pm On Oct 20, 2010
@4llerbuntu your "assessment" of kde can not be so wrong. first of it is never advisable to install kde and gnome side by side the latter install always suffers. This is due to the fact that both kde and gnome use very different underlying technologies which might lead to conflict. from network manager (different UIs) to sound architecture (pulseaudio + gstreamer vs xine pulseaudio-phonon) etc even in term of libraries the difference is even wider. If gnome works for you stick to it. Kde is not for everyone neither is gnome. stop spreading fud about things you know very little about when u do that you just go around spreading untruth which others would take as fact. I don't want to be drawn into the kde vs gnome argument. I used gnome for close to 2 years before finally settling down to kde. that speaks for its self. It is very wrong and almost insulting to conclude that people using kde are after the blings and just that cus again you have no clue on what makes kde thick and u are not ready to learn. Just use your gnome which as always worked for u and be happy.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:46pm On Oct 20, 2010
dude easy easy!!!

but u do know that you are a guru! i dont even know 1/4 of the things u know abt linux!!

i dont find KDE agreeable, i know clearly that my posts on the subject are not very complimentary but also not offensive or bad either!

but then i also dont expect anyone to take my word for something like that!!!!

na wah for u and this your KDE o, me spreading fud? na no way!!

and its my right to complain when im not a desktop environment (this is a country with a constitution albeit useless)

NB i havent added it yet to my gnome install, that was a fresh install. and i did praise it too. . . . . . . . . .  a little grin grin grin grin grin grin

brovar really, CHILL!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.