Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,414 members, 7,881,520 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:13 PM

Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories (18790 Views)

Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) / Ex Muslims Share Your Conversion Stories Here. / Atheist Agenda For 2013. All Atheists Please Comment! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by wiegraf: 3:28am On Jan 10, 2013
musKeeto: PRE-CONVERSION

Catholic Dad deeply influenced by Igbo tradition. Pentecostal Mom who wasn't quite so religious. Morning devotions. Ended up at a Christian secondary school in my teens.

Fasting. Prayer. Madness. Hypocrisy. I was young but was quite sure there was something wrong with the Christians I met. The Student Christian Mission leader was a classmate and if there ever was a sinner, he was one. Yet, the chaplain had apparently seen Jesus in a vision who asked him to 'anoint' him leader of the fellowship. If the blood of Jesus washes sins, that guy needed at least 3 Jesus.
I hardly ever studied the Bible, except the odd times I had a bad dream or just felt bored, but I lived a more 'moral' life than these guys. One of them even walked up to me one day and asked 'Are you a spirit-ko, or just a good guy?'.. Up to this point, I'd not given the question of God's existence much thought.

Secondary school over. Freedom. YAY. Not so fast young man. Mom wiped OAU Ile-Ife off my jamb form without my knowing and inserted the name of one of the private Christian universities. Summer break's over and I resume classes with lots of anger in my heart. As expected, it's almost a repeat of my secondary school if not worse. It didn't take long. I became an atheist without realizing it. The Bible, and religion as a whole, meant nothing to me.

End of the first semester and I return home for the Xmas holidays worse than what I was when I left. A deep hatred for pastors. A deep hatred for church. A deep hatred for religion. A week later, I lost my siblings in the Sosoliso plane crash....

What were the odds of listening to this while reading this post? heh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en-GB&gl=NG&v=H8ZUV9IBEXY

The insouciance of some people when dealing with issues related to religion can be puzzling. ie, when debating certain aspects like mortality, evil, etc. They seem to delude themselves into thinking they have the answers. My condolences

Ah, lemme get out of the way...
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 3:37am On Jan 10, 2013
wiegraf:

The insouciance of some people when dealing with issues related to religion can be puzzling. ie, when debating certain aspects like mortality, evil, etc. They seem to delude themselves into thinking they have the answers. My condolences

Lol.. stay in the way o.. the story never even start.. still on pre-conversion... cheesy
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 8:19am On Jan 10, 2013
smiley

3 Likes

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 8:45am On Jan 10, 2013

Catholic Dad deeply influenced by Igbo tradition. Pentecostal Mom who wasn't quite so religious. Morning devotions. Ended up at a Christian secondary school in my teens.

Fasting. Prayer. Madness. Hypocrisy. I was young but was quite sure there was something wrong with the Christians I met. The Student Christian Mission leader was a classmate and if there ever was a sinner, he was one. Yet, the chaplain had apparently seen Jesus in a vision who asked him to 'anoint' him leader of the fellowship. If the blood of Jesus washes sins, that guy needed at least 3 Jesus.
I hardly ever studied the Bible, except the odd times I had a bad dream or just felt bored, but I lived a more 'moral' life than these guys. One of them even walked up to me one day and asked 'Are you a spirit-ko, or just a good guy?'.. Up to this point, I'd never given the question of God's existence much thought.

Secondary school over. Freedom. YAY. Not so fast young man. Mom wiped OAU Ile-Ife off my jamb form without my knowing and inserted the name of one of the private Christian universities. Summer break's over and I resume classes with lots of anger in my heart. As expected, it's almost a repeat of my secondary school if not worse. It didn't take long. I became an atheist without realizing it. The Bible, and religion as a whole, meant nothing to me.

End of the first semester and I return home for the Xmas holidays worse than what I was when I left. A deep hatred for pastors. A deep hatred for church. A deep hatred for religion. A week later, I lost my siblings and friends in the Sosoliso plane crash....

very interesting, will respond later this evening, work resumed fully today..

It's a small world, you will be surprised to know that my niece narrowly missed the Sosoliso accident, her cousin died, they both went to Loyola, suffice to say it was a dark period for many of us.

speak later !

1 Like

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 9:08am On Jan 10, 2013
wiegraf:

waiting for yours, I dare you grin
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 9:11am On Jan 10, 2013
2good:

1. Your conversion story: I was born into religion. My whole family is deeply religious so I got it by default. It was installed in my brain from birth.

2. Experiences in the church/mosque: I started as a Roman catholic as a Child and started going to Pentecostal church around the age of 6. I was later an acclaimed born again Christian as expected of me by the society. I preached(disturbed) in public places including bus and I was very much involved in school fellowship in Secondary School up to JSS 3.

3. Duration as believer: I'll say 15 years

4. When and why you began to lose faith.: Age 15

5. Your deconversion story: Things started to change when I entered Science class in SS 1 and started becoming very academically conscious and studying deeply. As I became more knowledgeable, I made up my mind that everything I had been thought from birth concerning religion was false and my parent treathen to kick me out of the house for refusing to go to church. It would take me between 2-3 years battle with my parent for them to allow me live my life the way I want to. Till today every single one of them think my soul is lost to the devil so they fast sometimes for me to go back to their god but I just laugh and tell them to pray for something else and leave me alone

very interesting, we will walk through this later, appears many of us where once Catholics and derailed either to the atheist side of life or other Christian denominations/experiences. Irrespective, I dare say we are all victims of our upbringing , environment and life experiences.

Thanks !

1 Like

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 9:13am On Jan 10, 2013
Logicboy03:

How many times do I have to tell my story?

-22 years a catholic
-told about slavery and christianity
-read about slavery and christianity
-read about religion and psychology
-left christianity

I can tell you that leaving christianity has opened my brain. I see things from a clear perspective now. I dont resort to God to things I cant explain. I dont see use a 2000 year old book to judge others; gays, pagans and unbelievers.

No pastor can ver give you freedom. No pastor will tell you to read the God delusion for yourself and compare it with the bible. Pastors will always give you parts of the bible THEY WANT you to read. A pastor can not get tithes or offerings from a self aware person

Logicboy I see great hope and potential for you , not in religion, but in the discovery of the jewels of truth, not man-led but this time God-led.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 9:14am On Jan 10, 2013
Delafruita:
reading the old testament was akin to reading a novel.i couldnt reconcile a loving god with such evil.then i started to study the history of christianity till i eventually understood that chrisitianity was just a means for constantine to control his kingdom

no, no , no.

I want the full gist please cheesy
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by onetrack(m): 9:15am On Jan 10, 2013
I often say I was a 'born-atheist' because I cannot think of a time where I ever really believed in any religion. However, given my upbringing, I did accept the notion of God. My parents were not really devout though I was forced to go to church. I found the whole experience fake and boring, and I would sneak in books to read during the sermon. My mother tolerated this. Then when I was 16 my mother told me that she would no longer force me to go. I stopped going IMMEDIATELY and never went back.

At university I looked into other religions and found them just as uninspiring, though I at least admired Buddha for not claiming to be a god, a son of a god, or a prophet.

What made me an atheist, however, was reading the Bible and the Quran. The God portrayed in those books has way too much evil (as well as making some dumb mistakes) for me to accept as a God. In addition, reading other books like "God is not Great" and "the God Delusion" made me think that atheists make a more convincing argument. In recent years this has been strengthened by looking at internet websites like reddit.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jan 10, 2013
Keep 'em coming
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cyrexx: 3:58pm On Jan 10, 2013
Hmmm.

This is gonna be interesting.

But I wonder why frosbel, the number one accuser of my atheist brethren, is interested in our deconversion story, its sort of a negative christian testimony, you know, and it wont edify any christian.

Just wondering smiley
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jan 10, 2013
cyrexx: Hmmm.

This is gonna be interesting.

But I wonder why frosbel, the number one accuser of my atheist brethren, is interested in our deconversion story, its sort of a negative christian testimony, you know, and it wont edify any christian.

Just wondering smiley
Lol.. My broda, no be only you dey fear o...

But the stories could help inquisitive folks and 'dolts' alike...

I doubt atheists on NL know how many 'guests' and background 'users' our posts influence... grin
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jan 10, 2013
[quote author=cyrexx]
But I wonder why frosbel, the number one accuser of my atheist brethren, is interested in our deconversion story,

I do not have a grudge against atheists, most of our debates and arguments here are just friendly banter , though sometimes they can be heated and harsh on a bad day at work grin

But honestly, there has to be a reason why atheists are put off religion altogether, probably bad experiences with family members who professed to follow GOD but acted like the devil, wars, misunderstanding of scripture, strange religious doctrines and practices etc.

its sort of a negative christian testimony, you know, and it wont edify any christian.

I also had some negative Christian testimonies which can be viewed in Anony's thread on born again experiences' , to be quite honest my faith was almost totally derailed , if not for the mercy and grace of GOD.

Let's have yours please grin
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Odunnu: 4:31pm On Jan 10, 2013
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jan 10, 2013
smiley

2 Likes

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jan 10, 2013
Odunnu: shocked shocked shocked
Lol, Madam this one your eye dey shine like this..
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by honeychild(f): 4:48pm On Jan 10, 2013
@musKeeto
why you stop na? This story is just too interesting....pls continue pls pls pretty pls..
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jan 10, 2013

I hardly ever studied the Bible, except the odd times I had a bad dream or just felt bored, but I lived a more 'moral' life than these guys. One of them even walked up to me one day and asked 'Are you a spirit-ko, or just a good guy?'.. Up to this point, I'd never given the question of God's existence much thought.

End of the first semester and I return home for the Xmas holidays worse than what I was when I left. A deep hatred for pastors. A deep hatred for church. A deep hatred for religion. A week later, I lost my siblings and friends in the Sosoliso plane crash....

WHAT IS THE SOSOLISO PLANE CRASH ?
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Heatblast(m): 5:49pm On Jan 10, 2013
1. Your conversion story
We were catholics at first, later became RCCG members. Gave my life to christ at a tender age(out of fear of hell) but back then, I loved it cause I seemed to like the gosple stories and gosple music, and I had a new friend(now I know it was an imaginary friend)

2. Experiences in the church/mosque
I never did like going to church, but my mom always forced us to go every sunday and atleast once during the week even after coming back from a long day in school, it always made me angry.. But I'll always comfort myself that "I was doing it for god"

3. Duration as believer
7yrs of lies and fear

4. When and why you began to lose faith.
It all started one day(during one of my long vacs in secondary school), I was home alone dying of boredom, so I decided to pray fervently for 'NEPA' to bring light, after about 2hrs of continious prayer with no result(light), I gave my self the usual excuse that maybe god didn't want to answer my prayer to prevent impending danger, so I decided to pick up my bible and read, I started with Genesis, Exodus, read a little bit of them and moved on to Leviticus, after reading some parts of this book, I began to see a contradiction to the new testament all loving god, he seemed to kill for virtually no reason at all, gave the isrealites absolutely ridiculous laws, at a point I had to close the bible, because my mind had started to ask different questions and I've been brainwashed to never question god or the bible. But my curiosity seemed to be stronger than the brainwashing, so the next day, I forced myself to read other books of the bible and saw a lot of contradictions to the god I previously thought I knew(no wonder they don't read those books in the church instead they say its the mosiac laws, but they'll readily quote leveticus when it comes to tithing).. During this period I was also intrested in science stuff, always went to to school lib to read science books, this books also helped to increase my curiosity, tho I always skipped pages on evolution and condemed darwin and his theory as agents of the devil.

5. Your deconversion story.
It took me almost 3years of information gathering, constant study and questioning of the bible to re-program my mind. upon all I prayed for the curiosity to dissappear, It had already gotten to a stage, where I couldn't stop my mind from thinking about my faith, I finally became agnostic atheist 2 years ago. They told me I couldn't make it without jesus, prayer, or religion. But today, all that is a big fat lie
thank 'god' I'm totally free from and immune to the bondage called christianity grin

Big thanks to every thing that increased my view of life including all the science books, websites like narialand(cause I've been viewing as a guest before I finally registered in 2008,) all the science stations including discovery, history, nat geographic for programmes like 'Mankind: the story of all of us' and others... Most especially google for the usefullness of the search engine. cool

3 Likes

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Ishilove: 5:56pm On Jan 10, 2013
obadiah777: WHAT IS THE SOSOLISO PLANE CRASH ?
Google is your friend grin
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jan 10, 2013
smiley

4 Likes

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jan 10, 2013
Ishilove:
Google is your friend grin
LOL. JUST DID. WOW. THE ONLY SURVIVOR http://naijaura.com/wordpress/facial-reconstruction-fundraiser-for-only-survivor-of-the-sosoliso-air-crash-in-2005/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sosoliso_Airlines_Flight_1145

CONDOLENCES TO ALL WHO LOST FAMILY. CONDOLENCES TO YA MUSKEETO AND FROSBEL
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cold(m): 6:27pm On Jan 10, 2013
First,a devout Christian. Then a sceptic & then agnostic....now a full blown atheist,i think. Will post my story later
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Ishilove: 6:46pm On Jan 10, 2013
Wow Muskeeto, your narration is rather captivating. There's a storyteller in you. smiley

1 Like

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jan 10, 2013
Ishilove: Wow Muskeeto, your narration is rather captivating. There's a storyteller in you. smiley
Coming from a 'literature section' guru, this is more than a compliment.. We have a holiday tomorrow, so may post my deconversion before I sleep.. skyping things now sha.. grin
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Ishilove: 7:01pm On Jan 10, 2013
musKeeto:
Coming from a 'literature section' guru, this is more than a compliment.. We have a holiday tomorrow, so may post my deconversion before I sleep.. skyping things now sha.. grin
smiley
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by wiegraf: 7:10pm On Jan 10, 2013
frosbel:

waiting for yours, I dare you grin

Mine is nothing special, and told before. But since I'm vain and like to think the world revolves around me, here it is again

Never really religious. Never prayed 5x a day, never fasted the full 30, etc. They even killed a goat in my honor for memorizing what I thought was gibberish, but a year or two later I could remember maybe only fatiha (which I can't remember now sef) and some special cheat surahs/prayers. You know? Like the ones that could fast track you to heaven? I also did have a bit of the 'I can always repent, or go to hajj' mentality. I reasoned I could do little sins with abandon and make up for them later. Surely god wouldn't be that petty, no? But generally, I just never was religious. I've never really bought into the concept, fear was the only connection I had to it.

A thing of note though with my story was the final nail in the coffin, so to speak.

I have always been douchie, and frankly I can't say I was aware of raw, unconditional love us mere mortals are capable of until an altruist demonstrated this to me. At tremendous personal cost no less. My assumption was we're all d**ks, sky men included. The evidence seemed to be clearly heading in that direction; all of us d**ks just trying to get to heaven. Granted the odd fo.ol or sheeple that was useful only as a door mat existed, but they could be ignored as silly abberations. For most of us it was about pleasing an (usually angry) god, any one of them, the smart thing to do. Concerning ourselves only with our own petty self preservation. Society seemed to encourage this so surely it was ok, no? Who wants to be the f.ool that's left behind, hmmm? They'll probably laugh at me from heaven while I roast, "silly wiegraf, I told him so. Look at that fo.ol burn".

The kindness though of said person made me realize, "hmmm, there are genuinely kind and altruistic people who would die for total strangers on this planet? Interesting. And here I am being a full time d**k". As I was never really a theist and was just being held back by fear, the bravery of altruists to do what is right regardless of repurcursion, personal injury, loss etc, finally gave me the courage to fully question religious beliefs, dogma, etc. And once I got by the fear their cases were paper thin at best. For instance, when I compare a mere mortals actions with those of a supposed omnipotent that does naught about evil, I have to wonder to myself, wtf? The problem of evil becomes too conspicuous to ignore. Other issues I'd been ignoring became unavoidable as well of course.

Irony to all this being the main person that inspired my last step is religious. He didn't grow up in a religious household though, so his altruism is probably in built. And his actions were not based on some sort of religious obligation. Religion or no, that's just the nature of many of us. We don't have to be d**ks it seems. Looking back now though it's rather clear I've come across many others like him, just never noticed. The official story being whispered into my ears was one of petty hate, and this was indeed aided by religion for me. I'm personally very glad to have gotten rid of that

5 Likes

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by UyiIredia(m): 7:13pm On Jan 10, 2013
Muskeeto's deconversion story is rather lengthy.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jan 10, 2013
Uyi Iredia: Muskeeto's deconversion story is rather lengthy.
A pant as to come along and spoil my chance at stardom... tongue
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jan 10, 2013
@weigraf:

I still wonder why it's difficult for most theists to understand that one cane be 'good/altruistic' for the sake of being good. I was always sort of that person, and when I became Christian, that disdn't change much. I put my tithes to much better use, and also ran some computer classes for the 'youth' group members for a while from my own pocket....

I read mazaje's spag theory recently and I tend to concur with it.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jan 10, 2013
Wow.
This just happened to show up on my followers list and it captured my attention.
I had wanted to ask you what led to your convertion before the YM correspondence thing died.

wiegraf:
Never really religious. Never prayed 5x a day, never fasted the full 30, etc. They even killed a goat in my honor for memorizing what I thought was gibberish, but a year or two later I could remember maybe only fatiha(which I can't remember now sef) and some special cheat surahs/prayers.

The kindness though of said person made me realize, "hmmm, there are genuinely kind and altruistic people who would die for total strangers on this planet? Interesting. And here I am being a full time d**k". As I was never really a theist and was just being held back by fear, the bravery of altruists to do what is right regardless of repurcursion, personal injury, loss etc, finally gave me the courage to fully question religious beliefs, dogma, etc. And once I got by the fear their cases were paper thin at best. For instance, when I compare a mere mortals actions with those of a supposed omnipotent that does naught about evil, I have to wonder to myself, wtf? The problem of evil becomes too conspicuous to ignore. Other issues I'd been ignoring became unavoidable as well of course.
The official story being whispered into my ears was one of petty hate, and this was indeed aided by religion for me. I'm personally very glad to have gotten rid of that

cry cry cry cry cry

You were never a Muslim.........just a follower of rules....... cry cry cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jan 10, 2013
WIEGRAF I WOULDNT PUT YOU DOWN FOR SOMEONE FROM A MUSLIM HOUSEHOLD. I WOULD PUT YOU DOWN FOR SOMEONE FROM A FREE-THINKING HOUSEHOLD. ABSTRACT.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Free Sex Japan!!! / TB Joshua's 55th Birthday: 20 Things To Know About The Prophet / Is the Catholic Church the One And Only True Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.