Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,179 members, 7,916,442 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 11:47 PM

Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories (18900 Views)

Questions For Atheists (all Atheists Please Come In) / Ex Muslims Share Your Conversion Stories Here. / Atheist Agenda For 2013. All Atheists Please Comment! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cyrexx: 4:51pm On Jan 13, 2013
Frosbel,

what exactly do you seek to achieve with this thread?

Do you mean to prove your "truth" and show that those who do not share view of "the truth" are in error?
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jan 13, 2013
cyrexx: Frosbel,

what exactly do you seek to achieve with this thread?

Do you mean to prove your "truth" and show that those who do not share view of "the truth" are in error?

No !!

I wish to address all your grievances with religion and leave it at that . Like I said we are all victims of the system of religion that tends to want control and power , many of the reasons you guys had are also the reasons some of us had for challenging the current state of the 'church'.

Please do not take this as an attempt to push religion in your face , rather, see it as an exchange of ideas , experiences and possible next actions if applicable or necessary.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jan 13, 2013
@Cyrexx,i'd like to knw what yr "sanctification" and "tongues" experience at deeper life was like.my mum's a deeper life member.my siblings used to be members but now they've all left n have gone to other churches.i for one would rather stop going to church altogether.i still go there atimes cos of my mum's constant nagging.the sanctification doctrine at DL was one i was so fascinated about,but i never cud get d thing.moreover,many in church who claimed to have it just didnt fit into d picture of d sanctified dat kumuyi n his pastors ever so painted.i wanted something more than what many professed to have.i later reasoned dat d whole thing was in d mind afterall-if u aint ready to assume dat u're "sanctified",u never get "sanctified."
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jan 13, 2013
ah, thread's back on track, let's endeavor to keep it this way guys..
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cheddarking(m): 5:06pm On Jan 13, 2013
Most of the Atheists on Nairaland(Messrs Logicboy et al) are so into Atheism, they're like religious extremists...

They seize every opportunity to express their belief in 'unbelief'...

They proselytize in the name of this religion of no religion...

They attack believers of other religons...

And they share their 'religious' experiences with fellow non-believers...

Man is such a funny animal..

The solution to religion is forming a religion of non-religion cheesy cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cheddarking(m): 5:08pm On Jan 13, 2013
cyrexx:

Good.

Just be brave and dont let your mind be ruled by fear of threats of hell from the imaginary Gods of these religionists.

Seek for the truth, discover the truth and believe the truth NOT what you are told to believe by fellow men.

I sincerely wish you all the best.

Sincerely amused by the Irony of the bolded...

Who's to say Atheists haven't got a sense of humour eh? grin grin grin
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cyrexx: 5:18pm On Jan 13, 2013
@Beretta, i am on mobile now and kinda busy, thus I may not be able to explain in details.

But in short, sanctification doctrine in DL is the second act of God in a man similar to salvation, where the sin nature is removed from a man's heart. But just like you said. Its all in the mind.

Followed by baptism of the holy spirit, the third act of God in man's life following salvation. All in the mind too.

Cant go into all the details now.....
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Bella3(f): 5:22pm On Jan 13, 2013
cheddarking: Most of the Atheists on Nairaland(Messrs Logicboy et al) are so into Atheism, they're like religious extremists...

The solution to religion is forming a religion of non-religion cheesy cheesy grin

I OWE YOU TWO PLATES OF ESI EWU plus buzugees wine.
You just spoke my mindcheesy
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by plaetton: 5:24pm On Jan 13, 2013
frosbel: I am raising this small post on behalf of atheists ,who complained that they are not being given a platform to talk about their experiences in another thread which has been restricted to Christians only.

I am personally interested , as I think we all are , as to why they left the faith, that is , if they had a faith to begin with.

This thread is only for those who once had a faith, be it Christian or Muslim.

Please tell us :

1. Your conversion story
2. Experiences in the church/mosque
3. Duration as believer
4. When and why you began to lose faith.
5. Your deconversion story.

We promise to keep this as civil a discussion as possible.

Actually, no one is hardwired from birth to be religious. Religious faith is the programming we get after birth, before we begin to think and make sense of the world around us. Once programmed shortly after birth, majority can never shake off the burden of religious faith for the rest of their lives.
I find it very interesting that, in your mind,you consider a person breaking off the yolk of religious belief and gaining mental sovereignty, to be some kind of aberration. This is very funny.

Today, most of us think that living with fear, rejecting what you know and see for what you neither know or see, holding on to a belief system despite all the many contradictions and all the historical proofs of their mythical origins, would constitute, according to modern scientific definitions, a form of cognitive desonance, or in other words, a mild form of mental illness.

There are many interesting stories of brave men and women who have successfully liberated themselves from the yolks of blind faith religion.
In my own case, as i had posted in another thread, I was never religious. I think I was born atheist and I kept that default mental disposition.
Though born in religious family, in a religious community , in a christian part of Nigeria, the stories, though fascinating, never made sense to my young mind. I saw religion as just a ritual that people perform in robot-like manners. I noticed quite early that religion never made any difference to people's lives. the wicked were still wicked, no matter how many time they went to church or read the bible, the foul mouthed and insecure, even in this forum, were still still the same no matter their pretended religiousity. So I kept, and still ask myself , what is the purpose of religion, if it makes absolutely no or marginal difference in a person's real attitudes.

It began to seem clear to me that religious pretence was simply about fear. No one, even the preachers knew anything for sure. It was just repetition of the same old contradictory mantra, "God loves you so much, but will punish you in hell if you dont't believe that he loves you"..

The contradictory nature of religion and every's obsession with it made me develop great interest in the subject at an early age. I read the bible over and over in attempt to see what everyone else was seeing, but the more I read, the less sense everything made.
I could not understand what was the bib deal with some insignificant events that happened somewhere in the middle east thousands of yrs ago. a lot of event sin my village wee a lot more dramatic and significant to my life than those recorded events of stone-aged tent dwellers who were worshipping an angry god.

Over the years, I have watched as the quality of religious output, christianity especially, has really gone to the dogs, nay, hayenas. Christianity has been completely monetised and the fear mongering has increased exponentially. There is even less consensus about what christianity means today than it was when I was growing up.

Christianity, true to its DNA, has been producing an abundance of fraudsters, tithing hayenas,charlatans and all manners of psychopathic pick pockets who rob the weaker majority under the threats of " Give me your money or god will punish you" .

There are far far less reasons to believe in omni omni Jehovah today than there were when I was growing up.

5 Likes

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cheddarking(m): 5:31pm On Jan 13, 2013
plaetton:

I noticed quite early that religion never made any difference to people's lives. the wicked were still wicked, no matter how many time they went to church or read the bible, the foul mouthed and insecure, even in this forum, were still still the same no matter their pretended religiousity. So I kept, and still ask myself , what is the purpose of religion, if it makes absolutely no or marginal difference in a person's real attitudes.

Interesting....

If religion is pointless because it never made any difference to people's morality, Does Atheism offer a Moral Higher Ground?

EDIT:
Plaetton please be aware a dissatisfaction with ONE religion logically should not lead you to believe there is no God....

Did you try Buddhism, Hinduism, and the host of other religions that are not 'monetized' as you put it?

Or are you just making excuses because you're a lazy git that just 'doesn't send'?

1 Like

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cyrexx: 5:32pm On Jan 13, 2013
plaetton:

Actually, no one is hardwired from birth to be religious. Religious faith is the programming we get after birth, before we begin to think and make sense of the world around us. Once programmed shortly after birth, majority can never shake off the burden of religious faith for the rest of their lives.
I find it very interesting that, in your mind,you consider a person breaking off the yolk of religious belief and gaining mental sovereignty, to be some kind of aberration. This is very funny.

Today, most of us think that living with fear, rejecting what you know and see for what you neither know or see, holding on to a belief system despite all the many contradictions and all the historical proofs of their mythical origins, would constitute, according to modern scientific definitions, a form of cognitive desonance, or in other words, a mild form of mental illness.

There are many interesting stories of brave men and women who have successfully liberated themselves from the yolks of blind faith religion.
In my own case, as i had posted in another thread, I was never religious. I think I was born atheist and I kept that default mental disposition.
Though born in religious family, in a religious community , in a christian part of Nigeria, the stories, though fascinating, never made sense to my young mind. I saw religion as just a ritual that people perform in robot-like manners. I noticed quite early that religion never made any difference to people's lives. the wicked were still wicked, no matter how many time they went to church or read the bible, the foul mouthed and insecure, even in this forum, were still still the same no matter their pretended religiousity. So I kept, and still ask myself , what is the purpose of religion, if it makes absolutely no or marginal difference in a person's real attitudes.

It began to seem clear to me that religious pretence was simply about fear. No one, even the preachers knew anything for sure. It was just repetition of the same old contradictory mantra, "God loves you so much, but will punish you in hell if you dont't believe that he loves you"..

The contradictory nature of religion and every's obsession with it made me develop great interest in the subject at an early age. I read the bible over and over in attempt to see what everyone else was seeing, but the more I read, the less sense everything made.
I could not understand what was the bib deal with some insignificant events that happened somewhere in the middle east thousands of yrs ago. a lot of event sin my village wee a lot more dramatic and significant to my life than those recorded events of stone-aged tent dwellers who were worshipping an angry god.

Over the years, I have watched as the quality of religious output, christianity especially, has really gone to the dogs, nay, hayenas. Christianity has been completely monetised and the fear mongering has increased exponentially. There is even less consensus about what christianity means today than it was when I was growing up.

Christianity, true to its DNA, has been producing an abundance of fraudsters, tithing hayenas,charlatans and all manners of psychopathic pick pockets who rob the weaker majority under the threats of " Give me your money or god will punish you" .

There are far far less reasons to believe in omni omni Jehovah today than there were when I was growing up.

WORD !!!

1000 llikes

cool
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jan 13, 2013
cheddarking:

Interesting....

If religion is pointless because it never made any difference to people's morality, Does Atheism offer a Moral Higher Ground?

EDIT:
Plaetton please be aware a dissatisfaction with ONE religion logically should not lead you to believe there is no God....

Did you try Buddhism, Hinduism, and the host of other religions that are not 'monetized' as you put it?

Or are you just making excuses because you're a lazy git that just 'doesn't send'?

Lol...

Did you try all other religions before settling on whatever 'GOD' you currently worship?

Or are you going to just blame 'faith' for showing you the way?

For me, I started with one and compared with others.. God is as humans are in every respect.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cheddarking(m): 5:49pm On Jan 13, 2013
musKeeto:

Lol...

Did you try all other religions before settling on whatever 'GOD' you currently worship?

Or are you going to just blame 'faith' for showing you the way?

For me, I started with one and compared with others.. God is as humans are in every respect.

Your question is irrelevant....

The only reason I asked Plaetton that question, was because he gave the Monetization of Christianity as a Reason for his so called conversion.

If he felt badly about what is currently happening to Christianity, did he try other options befor concluding that God doesn't exist?

Or was he just looking for a an easy way out-a way to do what he wanted without feeling guilt?

To answer your question though, I inherited Christianity and stuck to it...though I wont claim I'm a good Christian!

2 Likes

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cold(m): 5:52pm On Jan 13, 2013
cheddarking: Most of the Atheists on Nairaland(Messrs Logicboy et al) are so into Atheism, they're like religious extremists...

Yeah,I concur

1 Like

Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jan 13, 2013
Actually I'm finding all this interesting and I wonder if we won't get away from the purpose of this thread countering the reasons atheists and agnostics give for "leaving religion".

I prefer that each of the "non-religious" feel free to tell their story and I advise anyone who wishes to address any of their stories to open specific threads to do so and link it here. I intend to address two or three people here particularly if they will indulge me, but I might only be able to do so two or three days from now. If anyone beats me to it, I'll gladly join their thread.

So guys, just let the stories flow, take the war elsewhere, pretty please.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jan 13, 2013
cheddarking:

The only reason I asked Plaetton that question, was because he gave the Monetization of Christianity as a Reason for his so called conversion.

If he felt badly about what is currently happening to Christianity, did he try other options befor concluding that God doesn't exist?

Or was he just looking for a an easy way out-a way to do what he wanted without feeling guilt?

To answer your question though, I inherited Christianity and stuck to it...though I wont claim I'm a good Christian!
Unfortunately, most Christians here would have us believe there's nothing like a 'good' Christian. You're either a Christian or not. Try to sort out the difference with them ok.

And if one wants to be a rebel, one could become an 'unbeliever' not an atheist. For example, even if Yahweh appeared in my room this evening, I'll probably knock him out with a scissors kick. Jesus, on the other hand (pun intended), would probably have tea with me while I marvel at the holes in his hand.

Btw, are you also trying to imply that 'not believing in God' is a solution to guilt? That it leads to a sudden disintegration of the conscience?
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by wiegraf: 6:08pm On Jan 13, 2013
Ihedinobi: Actually I'm finding all this interesting and I wonder if we won't get away from the purpose of this thread countering the reasons atheists and agnostics give for "leaving religion".

I prefer that each of the "non-religious" feel free to tell their story and I advise anyone who wishes to address any of their stories to open specific threads to do so and link it here. I intend to address two or three people here particularly if they will indulge me, but I might only be able to do so two or three days from now. If anyone beats me to it, I'll gladly join their thread.

So guys, just let the stories flow, take the war elsewhere, pretty please.

You're asking for a lot considering m.orons like this chedar guy...

I best go someplace else. I shouldn't even have time for this anyways...
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cheddarking(m): 6:16pm On Jan 13, 2013
musKeeto:
Unfortunately, most Christians here would have us believe there's nothing like a 'good' Christian. You're either a Christian or not. Try to sort out the difference with them ok.

[b]And if one wants to be a rebel, one could become an 'unbeliever' not an atheist. For example, even if Yahweh appeared in my room this evening, I'll probably knock him out with a scissors kick. Jesus, on the other hand (pun intended), would probably have tea with me while I marvel at the holes in his hand.
[/b]Btw, are you also trying to imply that 'not believing in God' is a solution to guilt? That it leads to a sudden disintegration of the conscience?

Again you persist with the absolutely irrelevant...

I am simply asking Plaetton to expand on his assertions...

Anyways...

I read your story with a great deal of interest...

I admire your courage shown in 'seeking out truth'.

It couldn't have been easy - Moving from Loyola to Covenant University with such doubts in your mind...

I'm a bit curious at your current state of animosity towards to the God you once worshipped... Why do you want to put 'Yahweh' in the ground so badly? Hmm?
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jan 13, 2013
Great guess, but you're off on both... grin
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cheddarking(m): 6:19pm On Jan 13, 2013
wiegraf:
[b]
You're asking for a lot considering m.orons like this chedar guy...

[/b]I best go someplace else. I shouldn't even have time for this anyways...

LOL at the aggressive atheist...

Extremists are always present in any religion - Atheism included..
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jan 13, 2013
@Yahweh: just a personal vendetta... Trust me, just like Kratos kills Zeus in the God of War series, one day there'll be a Yahweh, Lucifer game...
And Lucifer could be the good guy...

I can already imagine the story...
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cheddarking(m): 6:21pm On Jan 13, 2013
musKeeto: Great guess, but you're off on both... grin

grin grin

Allow me...lol

Just trynna get my Freud on... grin
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cheddarking(m): 6:24pm On Jan 13, 2013
musKeeto: @Yahweh: just a personal vendetta... Trust me, just like Kratos kills Zeus in the God of War series, one day there'll be a Yahweh, Lucifer game...

I read an interesting thread by tbaba which I believe is the case with 99.9% of atheists out there today...

Especially you with your fluctuating Atheist-Agnostic stand...

https://www.nairaland.com/1160948/experience-atheists
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cyrexx: 6:24pm On Jan 13, 2013
cheddarking:

Again you persist with the absolutely irrelevant...

I am simply asking Plaetton to expand on his assertions...

Anyways...

I read your story with a great deal of interest...

I admire your courage shown in 'seeking out truth'.

It couldn't have been easy - Moving from Loyola to Covenant University with such doubts in your mind...

I'm a bit curious at your current state of animosity towards to the God you once worshipped... Why do you want to put 'Yahweh' in the ground so badly? Hmm?

@bolded.

Its certain you have not read the whole bible for yourself.

Isnt it funny that the so-called atheists knows the bible more than more than many of you professing christians?
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by plaetton: 6:26pm On Jan 13, 2013
cheddarking:

No buddy.
I never mentioned monetized religion as a reason for my conversion. If you read my post arefully, my main thrust is that I was never ever religious in the first place, so the question of conversion never happened. I was pointing out the continuing deterioration of the religious output due to its its faulty DNA.
Today's Monetised chirstianity is just one of the many symptoms the faulty DNA.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Ishilove: 6:26pm On Jan 13, 2013
musKeeto: @Yahweh: just a personal vendetta... Trust me, just like Kratos kills Zeus in the God of War series, one day there'll be a Yahweh, Lucifer game...

Something just occured to me. You actually believe in the existence of a Supreme God.

Deny it all you want, but its there.
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jan 13, 2013

[size=14pt]
The solution to religion is forming a religion of non-religion
cheesy cheesy grin
[/size]

I like how you finally concluded that your premises and argument were foolish with that summary. wink
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jan 13, 2013
Ishilove:
Something just occured to me. You actually believe in the existence of a Supreme God.

Deny it all you want, but its there.
That's what everyone says... wink
What's new?
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by Ishilove: 6:33pm On Jan 13, 2013
musKeeto:
That's what everyone says... wink
What's new?
You tell me. smiley
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cheddarking(m): 6:34pm On Jan 13, 2013
cyrexx:

@bolded.

Isnt it funny that the so-called atheists knows the bible more than more than many of you professing christians?

I wish you made sense with this statement....I honestly do...

My Man said this...

musKeeto:
For example, even if Yahweh appeared in my room this evening, I'll probably knock him out with a scissors kick.

And then I asked this..

cheddarking:

And you sought to chip in with this?

cyrexx:

@bolded.

Hahahaha
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by 2good(m): 6:35pm On Jan 13, 2013
Why is the mod allowing this Cheddarking of a person to derail this thread?
Re: Atheists Please Tell Us About Your Conversion And Deconversion Stories by cheddarking(m): 6:37pm On Jan 13, 2013
2good: Why is the mod allowing this Cheddarking of a person to derail this thread?

My Man, I am simply seeking knowledge, same as you brothers...

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply)

APPARITION: The Blessed Mother Of God Appeared In Kaduna Today! / TB Joshua Spends £100,000 (N26m) To Send Nigerian Student To Oxford University / "Once Saved, Forever Saved": Wrong And Unscriptural!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.