Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,141 members, 7,973,848 topics. Date: Sunday, 13 October 2024 at 08:51 AM

Travelling To Canada - Travel (93) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada (464161 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) ... (189) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada by ayoalade(m): 7:45pm On Mar 21, 2011
@ mikkyangel, this Belvic thing is till very confounding as I'm not sure exactly how they make the employment arrangement for people. Do you know which company in Canada they are affiliated with? I can certainly verify with such companies. I've seen people got burnt and it wouldn't be nice for you to be a victim either here in Nigeria or after gettting to Canada.

In the meantime, we can still give Belvic the benefit of a doubt and not completely dismiss them as fraud but I would certainly proceed with caution.

Per your other question, there can only be one application for Work Permit with CIC at the same time. I do not see how you can have multiple applications with them. If you are talking about increasing your chances of getting offer of employment by working with agencies that can do that for you, absolutely, you are merely increasing your chances at fulfilling one of the requirements for obtaining a work permit - which is to get a job. But as far as application with CIC, you cannot have multiple applications.
Re: Travelling To Canada by ayoalade(m): 7:53pm On Mar 21, 2011
tomiwaoluy:

Good day @ all,
I have been making check on schools in canada for undergraduate programm in Electrical engineering and I have decided to make my application tomorrow which is Monday,I have checked all necessary things and everything seems 2 b ok but I need to throw this issue to d house calling on yall home and abroad (Delta,ezinwann,aydewale, )Everybody should comment pls.

University of Manotoba
University of Dalhouise
University of Windsor

How do I pay them?am I to send d application fee to each school? Read something abt one compass organization,a body which receives an application fee and send it to each schools.Abeg mk una gimme info as I go pay and send my application to each schools,break down.

Thanks.

@ tomiwaoluy - the only province that has a centralized post secondary application is Ontario, so in this case, your statement about "compass organization" will be applicable to Ontario where you can apply through the Ontario Applicaition Centre (you can google this, as I notice posting links here makes my posts ended up treated like spams). So, contact the centre and you can be able to apply to 3 different institutions. But OUAC only deals with undergraduate and professional programs (such as Law, Teaching, Medicine). They do not deal with graduate and post graduate programs. I believe the fee is $125 and you can pay extra to register for more than 3 universities.

As for Dalhousie, I can actually tell you more about it as I am an alumnus. Just contact the registrar's office and you can pay using Credit Card since you will be applying online, unless you want to send them an International Money Order. Dal is a great place to study and I can tell you you will like it.

Manitoba will be similar to Dalhousie in terms of application process, contact them and send your fees directly to the school either using a credit card or international money order.

Hope that answers some of your questions
Re: Travelling To Canada by mevisbleek: 3:27am On Mar 22, 2011
@marcleo no need to relocate to alberta there are lots of jobs in toronto, I graduated from Ryerson with i nw work at RBC, THERE ARE JOBS IN TDAT HANG ON
Re: Travelling To Canada by obietrix: 1:33pm On Mar 22, 2011
To Prospects wit 2.2 grade,
I just received a notification on my application to masters to memorial university which was unfortunatley not positive.Thats basically because I had a 2.2, so it is evident that this school will not give admission to 2.2 even is it is the minimum requirement.It is the only university in Canada that accepts 2.2 and also the cheapest.u can imagine the number of applications they receive.
However I had a back up application to other colleges for a post graduate study which was positive.

@every 1
I'd like to know if it is mandatory I include my sponsors tax clearance cos at the moment the application for tax clearance is yet to be made to FIRS.please I am using a company account.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Gbenge77(m): 2:44pm On Mar 22, 2011
i luv Canada's serene atmoshere.
Re: Travelling To Canada by babsharon(m): 4:23pm On Mar 22, 2011
@ obietrix,
Can u mention d name of d colleges dat accept 2.2 for postgraduate program, am in need of dat skuls.
My fellow nairalander pls i need name of colleges dat accepted 2.2 for postgraduate program, i need ur contribution
Re: Travelling To Canada by babsharon(m): 4:52pm On Mar 22, 2011
@'obietrix,
Please i need d name o f d colleges dat accept 2.2 for postgraduate program, My fellow nairalander can also contribute to it
Re: Travelling To Canada by ayoalade(m): 5:11pm On Mar 22, 2011
@ babsharon - the minimum admission for Master's program in all universities in Canada is a B average. Now having said that, everyone is considered on an individual basis. So, it is possible that someone with a 2.2 will be admitted based on other extenuating factors (which we may not know about and which they probably did not reveal to you). There is no university in Canada that will advertise that they will admit you with a 2.2 GPA, however, if you can contact the school directly you can discuss your situation and I believe they are able to work with you based on space, your situation and how competivite the program is. For some program, you do not even stand a chance with a GPA of at least 3.2.

If you're looking fora listing of all Canadian Universities go check out the Association of Univerisities and Colleges of Canada at http://www.aucc.ca/can_uni/our_universities/index_e.html

Wish you all the best, and hopefully we'll see you in Canada some day.
Re: Travelling To Canada by webstradamus: 8:58pm On Mar 22, 2011
obietrix:

To Prospects wit 2.2 grade,
[b]I just received a notification on my application to masters to memorial university which was unfortunatley not positive.[/b]Thats basically because I had a 2.2, so it is evident that this school will not give admission to 2.2 even is it is the minimum requirement.It is the only university in Canada that accepts 2.2 and also the cheapest.u can imagine the number of applications they receive.
However I had a back up application to other colleges for a post graduate study which was positive.

@every 1
I'd like to know if it is mandatory I include my sponsors tax clearance cos at the moment the application for tax clearance is yet to be made to FIRS.please I am using a company account.

What program did u apply for? When did you get the admission decision? I am also expecting a decision from Memorial and I am really so anxious.
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 1:20am On Mar 23, 2011
I have gone through a few recent posts. Just so you know, most universities look at your last two years of study when evaluating you for a Master's program. I believe the 2.2 or 2.1 or whatever you call it is an overall evaluation of your performance at the undergrad level. Your grades in your last two years of study is what makes or breaks you.
Most Canadian universities use the conversion below. To have a decent chance of getting into a Master's program, you need at least an "overall B" in your last two years. Sometimes, it may be beneficial to do a GRE or GMAT to strengthen your application.

Scale 1          Scale 2              U.S. Grade Equiv.
A/AB              70-100                      A
B/BC              60-69                       B+
C/CD             50-59                       B
D                  45-49                       C+
E                  40-44                       C
F                   0-39                        F
http://www.wes.org/gradeconversionguide/index.asp

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada by sunky644(m): 6:16am On Mar 23, 2011
@obietrix, MUN just gave me a negative reply too. Pls tell us institutions that accept 2:2 for Post-graduate, whatever it is maybe diploma or qualifying program.
@delta, thanks for that info, but unfortunately my last two years is what brought me down, cos one victimisation I faced with a lecturer most especially my final year.
I will be the happiest man on earth if I can just get this opportunity of studying in Canada to proof my worth and tell this wicked ones I am not "olodo". I am thinking of writing GRE whether it will brighten my chances. No be say person no sabi book but this wicked lecturers that act like Thin god can be destructive.
Re: Travelling To Canada by ZiggyHimself(m): 8:33am On Mar 23, 2011
@ayoalade, sent you a mail on my statement of purpose.thank you
Re: Travelling To Canada by cindel07: 8:39am On Mar 23, 2011
@ayoalade, sent you a mail on statement of purpose

please for those who university of waterloo gave them admission and was asked to send your transcript please make sure that your transcript shows that a degree was awarded to you and if it doesnt show that then you must sent your statement of result of certificate, just sharing my experience i had last week to those who it may benefit
Re: Travelling To Canada by webstradamus: 10:25am On Mar 23, 2011
sunky644:

@obietrix, MUN just gave me a negative reply too. Pls tell us institutions that accept 2:2 for Post-graduate, whatever it is maybe diploma or qualifying program.
@delta, thanks for that info, but unfortunately my last two years is what brought me down, cos one victimisation I faced with a lecturer most especially my final year.
I will be the happiest man on earth if I can just get this opportunity of studying in Canada to proof my worth and tell this wicked ones I am not "olodo". I am thinking of writing GRE whether it will brighten my chances. No be say person no sabi book but this wicked lecturers that act like Thin god can be destructive.

Sorry about the Memorial reject. How/when did they contact you? What program did you apply for? I am also expecting a decision and I am getting nervous.
Re: Travelling To Canada by ayoalade(m): 11:24am On Mar 23, 2011
@ all, the reality is that everyone is assessed on an individual basis when it comes to Graduate studies (by the way, in North America, Master's programs are usually referred to as graduate programs rather than post-graduate which is usually used to referred to studies at the PHD level or studies beyond a Master's program) and for international students, it becomes even more challenging as you're competing for the very limited spots available. Plus, remember, you're not just competing with other Nigerian students you're competing with students from all over the world therefore, a GPA of 2.2 will certainly not cut it. While it is through that some might have been admitted into MUN with a 2.2 GPA, I believe this is not in anyway an official policy of MUN, rather, it was probably based on the overall assessment of the individual, the available spots, the program and how competitive that particular year for admission must have been. So, again, it not a norm in my own opinion rather consider it an exception.

For those that have been rejected by MUN, I would advise you contact them and ask if there is a qualifying program that you can be admitted into (usually for a year) which will enable you to spruce up your marks and then re-apply into the Master's program.
Re: Travelling To Canada by tosinosho1992: 2:08pm On Mar 23, 2011
Hey Guys,

All the MUN rejects, sorry about the outcome of your applications. It's a pity some people fall for the 2:2 admission policy. Just as Ayoalade rightly said, Just because you have a 2:2 does not mean you'll get an automatic admission, if it were so, there would be millions of people at MUN. If it would interest you, some people with CGPAs of >4.0 even get refused admission. I was at MUN for a conference last month, I must say it's the best in Atlantic Canada, with lots of scholars. The inexpensive tuition is just a provincial stuff, and not a reflection of MUN's academic standard. Lovely school, and serene environment I must add. Contrary to what Ayoalade said, PhD and Masters are both referred to as graduate studies, and you guys must know that there is a huge difference between Undergraduate and graduate schools in North America. It's a transition from being a consumer of knowledge to a producer of knowledge (for those in research), so you have to present more than your grades to get an offer, make them want you, sell yourself. Finally, if you're going for a research based course, the most important thing is to get a supervisor before you submit an application, unless you've got some application money to waste.

All the best
Re: Travelling To Canada by Delta007(m): 2:49pm On Mar 23, 2011
tosinosho1992:

Finally, if you're going for a research based course, the most important thing is to get a supervisor before you submit an application, unless you've got some application money to waste.
This is the koko!
Re: Travelling To Canada by newacca: 3:44pm On Mar 23, 2011
Hello House,
Pls. help me! I need advice. My tax clearance certificate is not ready,and I want to apply before 31st march,2011 cos my schl resumes in July,2011. I am a self sponsor. Is it advisable for me to apply for visa without the tax clearance card? All other documents are intact. Pls. advise me. Thanx 2 everyone

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada by obietrix: 5:06pm On Mar 23, 2011
@all, is there alternative document that could stand for tax clearance certificate considering the fact that the company commenced operation only last year 2010
PLEASE i need comments on this , i want to submit my application soon.
@babsharon and sunky644, Niagara college and Humber does accept 2.2. for a post graduate study.
@webstradamus, I applied for M.Eng oil and gas engineering.I called them on monday and was told over the phone.
@newacca, I am also being faced with the same probs, my sponsor does not have a biz tax clearance certificate
Re: Travelling To Canada by webstradamus: 5:53pm On Mar 23, 2011
@ obietrix, thanks for the info. However, have you checked your status online to see if it reflects the decision already? Mine still says "Application Complete" and I am wondering if I should call them like you did.
Re: Travelling To Canada by mikkyangel(m): 6:03pm On Mar 23, 2011
Ayoalade,
     Men u too much, tanks for ur prompt reply, well, the agent that Belvic uses i really dont know them, but the new agent which i just discovered,i was at his office today and he told me he was affiliated to an agency in Canada, He gave me his website adress and bizness card,and i subsequently did my research and found out that ,it was TRUE,so i had to call them in Toronto and spoke to a certain Chinese called Weng.I also asked the agent(in Toronto) wht were the implications if i had to use 2 agents for work permit aplication,He said my application would be by province(I DONT REALLY KNOW WHT DT MEANS)  , pls i would highly appreciate if u can send ur phone number to my email adress mikkyangelo2@yahoo.com so i can call u directly.i"d love to communicate with u one one, TNX MAN
Re: Travelling To Canada by ayoalade(m): 8:25pm On Mar 23, 2011
@tosinohso1992 - thanks for the correction. I had meant to dwell on the fact that studies beyond undergraduate degrees are referred to as graduate studies including up to PhD level. Not sure how I got back to making reference again to post-graduate studies.

Thank you for buttressing my comment about the fact that GPA is not all in all, there are many other extenuating but important factors that are taking into consideration for graduate studies. Guess your word sums it up for those who are contemplating graduate studies in Canada (or anywhere for that matter) that at that level you quit being a consumer of knowledge and join the elite of knowlege producers, couldn't have said it any better.
Re: Travelling To Canada by sunky644(m): 8:38pm On Mar 23, 2011
@webstradamus, I applied for M.Sc in Biochemistry, I was informed by my Dept Secretary. Actually my mistake was that I applied without securing a supervisor, the best thing is to get a supervisor before applying and to be frank "getting a supervisor is not easy" I contacted not less than 20 Professors, some refused to reply while others claimed they dont have space in their lab or they dont have funding. I contacted the President of the Graduate school association who told the Professors find it difficult to pick international student without outstanding academic qualification.
@mikkyangel, pls contact me on sunky644@gmail.com, I need full information about this agent you are talking about, thanks waiting to hear from you soonest.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Travelling To Canada by gel03: 11:02pm On Mar 23, 2011
@ Obietrix, Sunky644, Westradamus

Sorry about d MUN rejections so far. I am still waiting for a decision from them. I applied for Masters in Employment Relations? West what about u?
Re: Travelling To Canada by isaobi: 11:52pm On Mar 23, 2011
TO GOD BE THE GLORY, WHEN I GOT ADVERTISEMENT OF THIS COMPANY BY GUARDIAN NEWS PAPER I SOLD MY PROPERTY TO MEET UP FOR ONLINE QATAR,
WHICH IS SUM OF 205 NAIRA, THIS COMPANY PROMISE ME SIX MONTH THAT MY VISA WILL BE READY,IT WAS DURING ADMINISTRATION OF DOMINICA,
I STOP LOOKING FOR JOB, I SAID I N THE NEXT 6 MOTH I WILL BE IN QATAR, DOMINICA THEIR OFFICER TOLD ME THAT MY SALARY OVER THERE IS 3500 DOLLAR MONTHLY, FREE TICKET, FREE ACCOMMODATION, BUT THEY WILL DEDUCT FROM MY SALARY OVER THERE FOR A YEAR, MEAN,WHEN I GET TO QATAR, UP TO DATE VISA IS NOT YET OUT, I CAN UNDERSTAND THE COMPANY, AND IF YOU NEED YOUR MONEY THEY ARE READY TO GIVE YOU BUT THEY WILL DEDUCT 5% AFTER YOU PAID 30.0000 FOR ADMIN CHARGE I5 000 NAIRA FOR FORM , THEY WILL DEDUCT 5% OUT OF REMAIN MONEY, I PAID FOR MY VISA LAST YEAR 18TH JUNE2010- 24 03 2011 UP TO DATE NO POSITIVE RESPOND, SO I KEPT MY MONEY THERE TO KNOW WHO IS BELVIC GLOBAL VENTURE, MAY BE THEY ARE USING DEDUCTION AS CHANCE OF CHEATING OVER PEOPLE, THAT IS WHAT I WANT TO STUDY NOW, BUT I DON'T ADVISE ANY BODY TO GIVE THEM MONEY , THEY WILL DISAPPOINT YOU, GOD HAS MAKE ANOTHER WAY FOR ME, DESPITE DELAY OF MY TIME
Re: Travelling To Canada by webstradamus: 9:55am On Mar 24, 2011
@sunky644, I have been trying to get a supervisor without success as all my POIs seem too busy to respond to my email. I really don't know what else to do now than to pray for favour. I called the grad correspondent for my program and she said my file is still under review by the admissions committee. I guess I just have to keep hoping and praying.

@gel03, I applied for MSc Computer Science.
Re: Travelling To Canada by gel03: 11:44am On Mar 24, 2011
@ webstradamus,

Its well. We will find favor in their sight in Jesus name. Amen
Re: Travelling To Canada by gel03: 1:17pm On Mar 24, 2011
@ webstradamus

I already got admission into university of lethbridge to do a second degree and its also as a result of dis 2.2 clause. I dint want d option of a college for postgraduate.
Re: Travelling To Canada by webstradamus: 1:34pm On Mar 24, 2011
gel03:

@ webstradamus,

Its well. We will find favor in their sight in Jesus name. Amen

I say a big amen to that also.

gel03:

@ webstradamus

I already got admission into university of lethbridge to do a second degree and its also as a result of dis 2.2 clause. I dint want d option of a college for postgraduate.

That's great , It means you've got one leg in already! We dey come for back wink

However, postgraduate diploma is not a bad deal, a close friend went that route last year and she's almost through with the program. Plus she's also applying to an MSc program and she stands a better chance than most of us applying from here.
Re: Travelling To Canada by sunky644(m): 2:08pm On Mar 24, 2011
@webstradamus and gel03, if at this stage you ve not secured a supervisor to help follow up on your application, then I pray you receive God's mercy to succeed in this. Goodluck to you guys, I think I will have to prepare for GRE and IELTS and then try some US universities for Masters, then maybe start the Canada PR federal skilled worker class, one suppose click sha.
Re: Travelling To Canada by newacca: 3:36pm On Mar 24, 2011
@Obietrix, thanx for ur response. Infact I am really confused,with nobody to advice me about the issue. when does u school resumes? Mine resume in July.
Re: Travelling To Canada by obietrix: 4:51pm On Mar 24, 2011
@ayoalade, Cuddlemii, Delta007 and all, kindly respond to the post by newacca on tax clearance cos we both share the same situation.
I will be submitting documents to FIRS on Monday for tax clearance ,don’t know how long it takes.
Should I just go ahead with the visa application without the tax clearance?

(1) (2) (3) ... (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) ... (189)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.