Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,998 members, 7,873,211 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 10:01 AM

Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? (22453 Views)

Buhari’s Ministerial List Shows That He Belongs To Somebody – Cardinal Okogie / Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio of Argentina Named New Pope, Pope Francis! / Cardinal Arinze Will Be The Next Pope? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Feb 12, 2013
I tot he has since retired as a cardinal.

Btw, what made pope benedict resign his post?
Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Feb 12, 2013
Nobody is talking about Cardinals Okojie and Onaiyekan.
Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by bigx(m): 1:59pm On Feb 12, 2013
I hear dt whenever a pope dies
Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by MEILYN(m): 2:00pm On Feb 12, 2013
Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by MEILYN(m): 2:04pm On Feb 12, 2013
lol nw dis is funny
Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by Afam4eva(m): 2:04pm On Feb 12, 2013
Ejiné: He's already crossed 80, and by Vatican customs, that makes him ineligible.
At what age did cardinal Ratzinger(Pope benedict) become Pope?
Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by Afam4eva(m): 2:05pm On Feb 12, 2013
Dr. Wise:
Nobody is talking about Cardinals Okojie and Onaiyekan.
They're not even close. cardinal Arinze has being in the vatican for decades and ranks high and above Okogie and Onaiyekan that just became a cardinal last year.
Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by seanet01: 2:06pm On Feb 12, 2013
the_ripper:

I know u prefer Shiekh Gumi, the islamic terrorist, useless Yoruba tout.
My friend stop dreaming. Ibos cannot be trusted with such a Highly Revered Position.
Have you ever wondered why chinyere sorry chinua asiwere sorry achebe have not been able to win the Highly revered Oslo Nobel?
Ibos are Osu lol

3 Likes

Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by joeace2020(m): 2:08pm On Feb 12, 2013
the greatest illusion
Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by kcjazz(m): 2:09pm On Feb 12, 2013
85 is resigning due to old age and you think his successor will be 81. Is either he is a PDP youth leader or Benjamin Burton. Please stop this fantasies. What the church needs is a young 55-70 year old to handle the huge task if faces.

3 Likes

Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by vislabraye(m): 2:09pm On Feb 12, 2013
I thought the Da Vinci code said something like this. Where is Dan Brown? There's a conspiracy somewhere
Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by theripper: 2:10pm On Feb 12, 2013
seanet01: My friend stop dreaming. Ibos cannot be trusted with such a Highly Revered Position.
Have you ever wondered why chinyere sorry chinua asiwere sorry achebe have not been able to win the Highly revered Oslo Nobel?
Ibos are Osu lol

The same fetid drivels from ur demented Islamic-Yoruba head. Let the Catholics worry about dat, aint u a Philistine? Why d orga-s-mic feeling, u should b worried about who heads Al- Queda.

2 Likes

Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by livethinme: 2:11pm On Feb 12, 2013
Ejiné: He's already crossed 80, and by Vatican customs, that makes him ineligible.

This.
Also if this pope quit because he was too old, why hire someone who would start at an even older age?
Makes no sense.

1 Like

Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by livethinme: 2:11pm On Feb 12, 2013
kcjazz: 85 is resigning due to old age and you think his successor will be 81. Is either he is a PDP youth leader or Benjamin Burton. Please stop this fantasies. What the church needs is a young 55-70 year old to handle the huge task if faces.

[img]http://cdn.download.repubblica.it/images/2013/02/11/165620428-622d3111-56b0-4ddc-9e49-e20df27b8ef0.jpg[/img]

Like this guy
Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by livethinme: 2:12pm On Feb 12, 2013
Afam4eva:
At what age did cardinal Ratzinger(Pope benedict) become Pope?

78 I believe
Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Feb 12, 2013
Kx: If a Nigerian would be a Pope, it would naturally be an Igbo man.
GBAM cool cool cool
Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by otokx(m): 2:13pm On Feb 12, 2013
speculation and speculation
Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by jude33084(m): 2:14pm On Feb 12, 2013
ugotheman: Bet u guys know better.cardinal Arinze won't be pope for obvious racial considerations.Hope the day comes when people are not judged for some mediocre reasons.

He might even be holding a mass one day and one stupid Italian as usual, will haul banana pills at him cheesy grin

No be ♍e talk am o undecided
Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by Ribaman(m): 2:21pm On Feb 12, 2013
Guys, there is this apt saying "He who is Pope before the Conclave is always a Cardinal after the Conclave"

2 Likes

Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by Awake9ja(m): 2:21pm On Feb 12, 2013
Nigeria’s Cardinal Francis Arinze: the next Pope?

21 Comments Fraser Nelson11 February 2013 12:03

The first papal resignation since 1415 will throw the world’s attention on Nigeria’s Cardinal Francis Arinze, who is the bookies’ favourite to succeed Benedict XVI. Not so long ago, the candidates would all be Italians. Now, the odds on a pope from the third world are quite high. Europe now stands out as a secularist anomaly in a world where religion is strong and growing stronger, as we argue in this week’s Spectator.

There is an saying in the Vatican: young cardinals vote for old popes. This bodes will for the 80-year-old Cardinal Arinze, an Igbo Nigerian who spent 25 years in the Vatican. He was, once, the world’s youngest bishop. He is quite conservative, as the last two Popes were, and was seen as a runner last time. The liberal Cardinals will like the idea of a Pope from the developing world. The new rules mean a new Pope needs the votes of two-thirds of the Cardinals, so one faction cannot impose its will over another. Since no one expected Benedict’s resignation, it could well be that the Cardinals are not ready to come up with a long-term solution. Older popes are, historically, a form of compromise. Arinze himself can’t vote, having turned 80. There are only ten African electors left.

Coral and William Hill both have Arinze as favourite. A Hill spokesman said:-

“When we opened betting last time around, in 2005, Francis Arinze was our favourite. His odds did drift towards the date of the announcement when Joseph Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) became the favourite, but he remained in the top three. Also, when Ratzinger became pope, Arinze took over from him as cardinal bishop of Velletri-Segni (a Catholic diocese close to Rome) —— it could be that he’ll follow in his footsteps again.”

The bookies may well have it wrong: odds simply reflect the weight of money, and the market may not be very liquid. Most bets were placed before anyone thought a race was really likely. We are in uncharted territory – will the pope’s presence influence his successor? What will his role be? Indeed, what do we call him: Pontiff Emeritus? Ex-Benedict? And while Arinze was a runner in 2005 he retired a few years ago, hardly demonstrating an appetite for the far-greater demands of the papacy.

If a younger pope is called for there is another African option in the form of the young (by papal standards) Peter Turkson, a Ghanian. There are hints that he is Benedict’s favourite candidate: not so long ago the pope said that having a African pontiff (for the first time in 1500 years) would “send a splendid signal to the world” about the universality of the church.

But is this what Benedict wants? He has appointed surprisingly few Africans to the electoral college, as John L Allen pointed out last year. Allen had this to say:

In general, today’s nominations reinforce the dominance of the West in the College of Cardinals. Only three of the 18 new electors come from the developing world — one Brazilian, one Indian, and one from China (Hong Kong). In that sense, the College of Cardinals will continue to be unrepresentative of Catholic demography, given that two-thirds of the 1.2 billion Catholics in the world today live in the global south, a share projected to rise to three-quarters by mid-century.

Coral’s odds will probably change quickly, as money is placed. But right now, they are as follows:

Cardinal Francis Arinze 7/4 of Nigeria. Age 80.

Cardinal Peter Turkson 2/1 of Ghana, Age 64. Appointed by Benedict four years ago to become president of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace.

Cardinal Marc Ouellet 5/1 of Canada, Age 68

Archbishop Angelo Scola 8/1, an Italian philosopher. Aged 71.

Cardinal Oscar Rodriguez Maradiaga 10/1. A Honduran who was President of the Latin American Episcopal Conference. Age 70

Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone 12/1, an Italian prelate. Aged 78

PS I should add that betting is a mug’s game. It all depends on the preferences of a tiny group of pension-age cardinals, who tend not to tell anyone what they’re thinking. But if anyone would know what they’re thinking, it’s Benedict. He may well have decided to stand down now (rather than die in office, as popes have done for the last few centuries) because he thinks the stars are aligning for his favoured candidate.
Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by chino24: 2:23pm On Feb 12, 2013
FreeGlobe:
Yes but he is just 64 and that will disqualify him. Nobody would want a lifetime Pope especially when you are black. So Cardinal Arinze is ahead if a black Pope will happen.

Leave them to continue in their illusion. I have a cousin who works in the Vatican. He called me this morning to tell me that Arinze is likely the next Pope going by the news making round and within Vatican city.
Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by OmoEziokwu: 2:32pm On Feb 12, 2013
Arinze become the next pope? That'll never happen.
Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by aigjoey(m): 2:33pm On Feb 12, 2013
Ekhayemhe Aigboje y paying heavily for browsing
data wen u can gt up to 5gb
with expiring date put at 2014
for free buy using ur Airtel sim.
Its what i am using nw, its so
real and simple to activate. Intrested browsers should call
07083731078. If u ar nt
convince dont call.
Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by Kslib(m): 2:38pm On Feb 12, 2013
Kx: If a Nigerian would be a Pope, it would naturally be an Igbo man.
Mad man alert!!!!! I repeat mad man alert!!!!! Omega,do you copy?? I repeat there is a mad man on the loose approaching your 2'0clock... Shoot on sight,i repeat shoot on sight...

2 Likes

Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by Kx: 2:40pm On Feb 12, 2013
Kslib:
Mad man alert!!!!! I repeat mad man alert!!!!! Omega,do you copy?? I repeat there is a mad man on the loose approaching your 2'0clock... Shoot on sight,i repeat shoot on sight...

U nor try at all. grin
Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by Parnassuss(m): 2:47pm On Feb 12, 2013
FreeGlobe:
Yes but he is just 64 and that will disqualify him. Nobody would want a lifetime Pope especially when you are black. So Cardinal Arinze is ahead if a black Pope will happen.

WTF is a black pope? Speak correctly abeg
Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by tomakint: 2:49pm On Feb 12, 2013
I think the cup is passing over to an Asian this time around! cool
Re: Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? by bigtt76(f): 2:53pm On Feb 12, 2013
Very true!
FreeGlobe:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pastor Gives Followers Indian Hemp For 'Sober Reflection' / Prophet Wale Olagunju: 'Atiku Will Defeat Buhari 2019, Osinbajo Has Failed God' / Joshua Iginla Gives His Personal Assistant A Four Bedroom Duplex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.