Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,610 members, 7,937,755 topics. Date: Monday, 02 September 2024 at 11:30 AM

Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? (26601 Views)

Banks Online Banking Platforms You Should Avoid Like A Plague / Sort Codes For Nigerian Banks / Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online: Issues!? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by Demsy(m): 10:33am On Mar 13, 2008
Hi guys,

I want this thread to be for those using Mastercards issued by Nigerian banks.

I want to register for one. I hear rumours that some merchants overseas are not accepting it. Is that true?

What are the other issues surrounding the use of it for online transactions?
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by trhymes(m): 1:23pm On Mar 20, 2008
Look, I have one inside my wallet as i speak to you now. Apart from the $25 added to my bills when i was about to obtain mine which had $100 loaded on it. It is not been recognized on the net. Its very good for show off, and also you can withdraw your money back at zenith bank ATM.

Intercontinental Bank Master Card is What i am talking About. It S**ks.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by laidback(m): 1:37pm On Mar 20, 2008
This mastercard, visa and other related credit/debit cards unavailable in nigeria is giving me a lot of sleepless nights.
Really we hear alota hype and counter-hype about them. What REALLY is the case. Are they worth it? Are they recognised overseas. Our inability to transact business online is hindering creativity/productivity a lot. And oh i'm talking genuine business here.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by blacklion(m): 1:46pm On Mar 20, 2008
from what i gather, cards issued by Nigerian banks are not accepted for online commerce abroad b/c of 419.

also, even if you use a US or UK issued card, many companies won't complete purchase transactions that involve shipping goods to an address in Nigeria

funny, they will accept cards issued in Russia and ship goods to Russia despite Russia being the international headquarters of cyber-crime
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by niyyie(m): 1:49pm On Mar 20, 2008
blacklion:

from what i gather, cards issued by Nigerian banks are not accepted for online commerce abroad b/c of 419.

also, even if you use a US or UK issued card, many companies won't complete purchase transactions that involve shipping goods to an address in Nigeria

funny, they will accept cards issued in Russia and ship goods to Russia despite Russia being the international headquarters of cyber-crime

I agree with you fully especially the part about Russia.

Nigerian-issued credit/debit Mastercards or Visa are recognized everywhere in the whole but the choice as to whether is accept them is at the discretion of the merchant.

NB: Access Bank issues international Visa credit/debit cards.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by bababuff(m): 2:09pm On Mar 20, 2008
The Credit cards are working.

I have a MasterCard from GTB which I use for internet shopping, and a VISA debit card from Standard Chartered Bank that I use for shopping in Dubai.  cool
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by Pennywise(m): 2:18pm On Mar 20, 2008
@Op.

Mastercard has been a source of major frustration to its Nigerian users for a long time. The banks are aware of this yet they do nothing. And they fraudulently keep issuing these cards and charging customers. I acquired that of Eco bank and later Intercontinental bank between 2003-2005. I mean they are useless. They cannot be used on line and ATMs outside the country.Every month one of them sends me paper statement showing a deduction of 1 dollar. The last time I used any of them successfully was in early 2005. Late 2005 onwards, Nigerian issued mastercard was dead online and dead in UK ATM machines.

Dont bother requesting explanations from the banks because you will get nothing that makes sense. But I have read something like its due to the black-listing of Nigeria, Pakistan and other fraud prone countries by the west.

Another curious issue in my experience with these banks issuing MCs, in particular one of them, if you call them 10 times in one day for your balance you will get 10 different answers even if there has been no transaction on that card. Makes you wonder. Sometimes they even say you are indebted to them which is absurd because unlike in other places, the card is not linked to your account. Once the credit finish like glo, okpari.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by JUNE12(m): 2:22pm On Mar 20, 2008
I actually used a card issued by First bank to pay for KLM ticket ,so it works.
A few of my friends use that issued by Zenith and Standard chattered bank.
Shell nigeria generally give credit card issued by Zenith Bank to staff when they are travelling and I guess that it works.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by Pennywise(m): 2:26pm On Mar 20, 2008
bababuff:

I have a MasterCard from GTB which I use for internet shopping, and a VISA debit card from Standard Chartered Bank that I use for shopping in Dubai. cool

This is an indeed pleasant surprise.More recent users should tell us. The last time I tried was like nov 2006. Or could this be an issuer problem.

Re online shopping. Did dealer agree to ship to Nigeria or you used a proxy address?
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by frag(m): 2:29pm On Mar 20, 2008
I suppose thats the more reason why you lots needs to return the cards.They are useless in your pockets and expensive too.
I heard of a case where a merchant in the UK,after charging the card refused to deliver the goods to the delivery address which is in nigeria but instead decided he could only deliver to a registered address in the UK. Can someone tell me why they still carrying such useless plastic in their pockets?
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by blacklion(m): 2:34pm On Mar 20, 2008
bababuff:

I have a MasterCard from GTB which I use for internet shopping, and a VISA debit card from Standard Chartered Bank that I use for shopping in Dubai. cool

@bababuff, pls i hope you don't mind sharing some details. When you make these online purchases with the GTB Mastercard, are you in Nigeria physically at the time of purchase?
Do the seller agree to ship the goods to you in Nigeria?
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by bababuff(m): 2:39pm On Mar 20, 2008
@pennywise,

my online transactions with the Mastercard are mainly for software downloads and membership subscriptions.
You get directed to a site for card verifications, and within minutes, I get my registration code in may mail box.

The VISA card, is for Point of Purchase transactions in Dubai, and I can also withdraw money from their ATMs.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by WebMonk(m): 2:46pm On Mar 20, 2008
niyyie:

I agree with you fully especially the part about Russia.

Nigerian-issued credit/debit Mastercards or Visa are recognized everywhere in the whole but the choice as to whether is accept them is at the discretion of the merchant.

NB: Access Bank issues international Visa credit/debit cards.

Do you use access master card? and if so, which sites have you used them for?
if anyone has used a Nigerian Bank issued mastercard, he/she should post which site they successfully used it. that cumulative list will then serve as a guide for others wanting to test the waters (myself especially)

Something like this

Eg: Card (by bank)
Sites used by above mentioned
other issues: Shipping or download (softcopy)

Hope this helps

PS: How long does it take?
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by kayowalemi(m): 2:59pm On Mar 20, 2008
Please You can submit your mastercards to me I know sites where to use it I dey wait ooooo.[b][/b]
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by Yes4u(m): 3:02pm On Mar 20, 2008
Hi,

This is a good thread to read. I have just applied for a mastercard from UBA bank hoping to use it to order things from abroad. I hope it works.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by blacklion(m): 3:12pm On Mar 20, 2008
bababuff:

@pennywise,

my online transactions with the Mastercard are mainly for software downloads and membership subscriptions.
You get directed to a site for card verifications, and within minutes, I get my registration code in may mail box.

The VISA card, is for Point of Purchase transactions in Dubai, and I can also withdraw money from their ATMs.

Bababuff,

Were you in Nigeria at the time you made the online transactions with the Mastercard i.e. did you make the online transactions with the Mastercards from a computer in Nigeria? Thanks.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by Pennywise(m): 3:15pm On Mar 20, 2008
bababuff:

@pennywise,

That is all I need. I am not sure I would like to buy camcorders from the internet.

Could someone share recent experiences with eco bank, Intercontinental and other bank issued MCs.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by DisGuy: 3:51pm On Mar 20, 2008
frag:

I suppose thats the more reason why you lots needs to return the cards.They are useless in your pockets and expensive too.
I heard of a case where a merchant in the UK,after charging the card refused to deliver the goods to the delivery address which is in nigeria but instead decided he could only deliver to a registered address in the UK. Can someone tell me why they still carrying such useless plastic in their pockets?

answer

Look, I have one inside my wallet as i speak to you now. Apart from the $25 added to my bills when i was about to obtain mine which had $100 loaded on it. It is not been recognized on the net. Its very good for show off, and also you can withdraw your money back at zenith bank ATM.

Intercontinental Bank Master Card is What i am talking About. It S**ks.

now you know

If many people return their cards to the banks i think they will get the message,
but naija consumers are weird sometimes they complain about the very poor service by MTN
but mtn customers went up by over 20% from last year

www.bluesquareng.com
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by chrysler(m): 5:12pm On Mar 20, 2008
I don`t like to discuss threads like this because it brings shame to me as a Nigerian,

It shows the level of our dependency on white people who have got no discipline,no culture,who lack moral standard and all they know is killing one another,

Digressing a little,the problem with Nigeria debit/credit cards i guess, is not in the banks issuing the cards so they re not likely to have good reasons why it could not be used on either a particular website or not e.t.c

It is mainly due to the fact that most of the europeans are still racists and as a result view us as criminals in quote,

Imagine them accepting to ship goods to russia which is known worldwide to be the headquarters of crimes and rejecting countries like nigeria,

What we are supposed to do like many other countries are doing is to try as much as we can to develop our own country.

Because they know that we are dying to come to their country,this is why they have seen us like this and they hold that against us,

Unless that impression changes about us(coupled with the fact that we are black, which i am greatly proud to be anyway),we still continue to have problems with them,

We should be proud of what we are and try to improve on ourselves, this is the only way,although not easy, but we need to start from somewhere,

Although in u.k rite now, i don`t see anyspecial reason in coming to this country for.

It`s sometimes funny to me coming to school in u.k and when i finish school, i go back to Nigeria and will be ahead of those that have got their certificates locally(i mean in nigeria), this shows the extent by which even the europeans rule us even in our own country,

The truth is very hard to believe because most people that will read this are still dying to travel abroad inclusive of people sleeping in Muritala Muhammed Airport in order to come to u.k, imagine that, shame on us,

The truth is very hard to believe but we should not forget that whatever we leave behind undone, we still coming back to it one day,

Let us start th revolution now and it shall be well with us,

Up Africa, Up Nigeria, Up the entire black race, Hip Hip Hip Hurray,

Hello,nairalanders, please have got some problems and will need your assistance

1. I don`t know how to post topic on this website and also how to highlight another person`s comment in order to refer to it

2.While a friend was helping me to burn some music onto some disc, he tried to protect them. As a result, i found it very difficult to play those songs n realplayer, each time i try this it tells me that it needs to download a licence which obviously i give it chance to download and afterwards it tells me "Bad Image, exception Processing Message 0xc000007b Parameters 0x7650023C 0x7650023C 0x7650023C 0x7650023C and whenever i click on this small window twice, this is when it will now play the music,

Please is there any way i can deprotect or unprotect all the music so that i an play it freely because i go through this process for each and and every song on my laptop,

T tried downloading the songs on itune and it told me that it needed to convert it to a format it can play and in trying to do this, it said it can`t convert protected music,

So please, how can i unprotect the music, i will be expecting reply frm you all soon, 1 luv
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by Scopium: 5:13pm On Mar 20, 2008
Dis Guy:

answer

now you know

If many people return their cards to the banks i think they will get the message,
but naija consumers are weird sometimes they complain about the very poor service by MTNbut mtn customers went up by over 20% from last year

www.bluesquareng.com

[size=13pt]Sometimes they think MTN is the lesser evil. I can't stand Celtel and Glo sucks. Shitty MTN is the best of them as far as my experience is concerned[/size]
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by bababuff(m): 5:20pm On Mar 20, 2008
blacklion:

Bababuff,

Were you in Nigeria at the time you made the online transactions with the Mastercard i.e. did you make the online transactions with the Mastercards from a computer in Nigeria? Thanks.

I did my transactions from my office in Lagos. (See feedback below)

This is NOT A BILL OR A NEW CHARGE, it is just a reminder about your purchase of the product(s) below on 05 Oct 2007

As you know, Plimus is under contract with Last Day of Work to process orders and collect payments, so your credit card statement will show PLIMUS.COM ONLINE STORE for the charge below.

If you have any content-related or technical questions about the product, only the manufacturer of the product can provide proper support, please contact
Name: Last Day of Work
Email: support@ldw.com If you contact the manufacturer, please be patient and allow them 2 business days to respond
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by blacklion(m): 5:24pm On Mar 20, 2008
bababuff:

I did my transactions from my office in Lagos. (See feedback below)

This is NOT A BILL OR A NEW CHARGE, it is just a reminder about your purchase of the product(s) below on 05 Oct 2007

As you know, Plimus is under contract with Last Day of Work to process orders and collect payments, so your credit card statement will show PLIMUS.COM ONLINE STORE for the charge below.

If you have any content-related or technical questions about the product, only the manufacturer of the product can provide proper support, please contact
Name: Last Day of Work
Email: support@ldw.com If you contact the manufacturer, please be patient and allow them 2 business days to respond

Thanks very much. You are actually the FIRST person I've seen [kind of grin] who successfully completed an online purchase with a Nigerian issued Mastercard from within Nigeria. Congrats!!!
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by NaijaEcash(m): 5:54pm On Mar 20, 2008
@blacklion
That is the best evidence I have seen so far on this issue.
I wish someone will have a good story to tell about PAYPAL too. Business online without PAYPAL is so difficult cry
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by nicolas: 6:05pm On Mar 20, 2008
hi, can anyone please confirm if he has used Gtb mastercard on atms in the u.k and u.s sucessfully?
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by jimlyons: 6:15pm On Mar 20, 2008
ATTENTION Mr. Jackson

I lost your email address and I hope to contact you.
Thank you so much for this opportunity. I am a businessman here in the USA and your offer comes when we are in economic trouble. This money will certainly help me and my family.
Please contact me as soon as possible. Here is my information:

James Lyons
12 High Vale Lane
Andover, Massachusetts 01810
Cell phone: 978-886-9916
Home: 978-475-7414
The following is my Social Security number. Please read it to me when you call so I’ll know I am dealing with the right person: 023-44-3238

Again, thank you very much and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

James Lyons
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by watershed1: 6:20pm On Mar 20, 2008
Mine was issued by GTB and frankly, i have been using it online sinc e i got it 2 months ago
no wahala
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by JUNE12(m): 6:34pm On Mar 20, 2008
Mr. Jackson & James Lyons pls stop this joke. We are discussing some serious stuff here, so dont throw this rot in our faces
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by gwinnett2: 6:35pm On Mar 20, 2008
zenith mastercard is perfectly working. i used it during my vacation in the us, i had no problems at all. i guess yu will start having probs when yu dont settle your accounts on time or wen yu exceed ur credit limit.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by fsb(m): 7:27pm On Mar 20, 2008
I use the Zenith websurfer card and it works perfectly. I guess the only time when you can't use a card issued by a Nigerian bank is if the website you're using it on does not have the option of Nigeria when selecting the country of the Billing address. Otherwise, my card works just fine.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by agboifo(f): 8:24pm On Mar 20, 2008
I have had a GTB MasterCard for a year now.

I use it for online transactions and have very few problems. Sometimes when I want to make a purchase the system at the other end 'flags' the transaction due to some anti-fraud alerts the owners have set (considering that I'm using it from Nigeria). In those cases, the payment would automatically be rejected, but when I contact the support services, a human would manually intervene and the payment will go through.

Apart from online transactions, my MasterCard has also been accepted for manual transactions - the type where you would fax your card details to the other party, and they manually effect the withdrawal.

So all in all, I have had a good experience.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by abhosts(m): 8:53pm On Mar 20, 2008
Rejection of Cards Issued by Nigerian Banks has nothing to do with Racism like a poster put it. Rather, it is due to the reputation that Nigerian scammers created for Nigerians before the issuance of cards by Nigerian banks commenced.

During the Late 90s when internet penetration was very low in Nigeria, you could place an order for any product online and have it shipped to Nigeria with no questions asked. During this period MasterCard and Visa were none existent in Nigeria. Folks who had access to cards either had friends/relatives abroad who allowed the use their cards or were fraudsters that obtained card information fraudulently.

During this period Nigeria fraudsters drew the attention of many online Merchants by their brazen schemes of using stolen credit card to pay for various stuff; ranging from airline tickets to tuition fees for universities. This is the real period when Nigerian IP addresses were blacklisted and the country became a forbidden shipping destination.

The algorithms of an online fraud detection systems are designed to out-rightly reject orders that emanate from countries with a very high fraud risk like Nigeria because there is no corresponding data to show that there are high volumes of genuine orders from Nigeria as well. That is why orders from countries like Russia, Ukraine and Brazil are still accepted. The fact is that these countries also have a very high number of legitimate orders. So in their case, the online merchant has to do more work to verify the authenticity of orders, so legit orders can scale through.

On the other hand, our banks are quite lazy and they do not see beyond the card fees that they earn from these cards. They can do a better job by liaising with major online merchants by educating them that Nigeria has officially joined the MasterCard and Visa market, and by giving them tips to on how to differentiate the scammer from the genuine customer.

But for now, Nigeria Issued cards are fairly accepted for low-priced virtual products and services, where no physical shipping is required.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by aderaskeey(m): 9:01pm On Mar 20, 2008
abhosts:

But for now, Nigeria Issued cards are fairly accepted for low-priced virtual products and services, where no physical shipping is required.

you are correct abhosts, I dont have any problem with my debit cards transactions. We must note that because it is debit cards, there are far less risks, since the money is pre-paid. Naija go better in Jesus Name.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

AIMS Asset Management: A Fraud? / Can I Open A Bank Account With An Expired International Passport? / Fuel Attendants Insist Customers Buy Meatpie First Before They Sell Fuel (vid)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.