Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,609 members, 7,937,751 topics. Date: Monday, 02 September 2024 at 11:28 AM

Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? (26600 Views)

Banks Online Banking Platforms You Should Avoid Like A Plague / Sort Codes For Nigerian Banks / Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online: Issues!? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by blacklion(m): 9:04pm On Mar 20, 2008
abhosts:

But for now, Nigeria Issued cards are fairly accepted for low-priced virtual products and services, where no physical shipping is required.

this makes the most sense to me
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by idea(m): 9:05pm On Mar 20, 2008
I have a Mastercard from Zenith Bank and it's been working for me since 2006. I have paid ACCA subscriptions and exam fees at least 7 times and I have bought goods from TM Lewin in the UK. People have bought books online from Barnes and Noble and they delivered to my office in Victoria Island.

The challenge of accepting it online by some merchants(mostly in the USA) is because of what is called AVS(address verification system) which is installed by most US merchants. They do not ship outside the USA even if your address and card is from Europe.

Though some do not ship to Nigeria becuase of fraud, I know Amazon would confirm from your bank b4 shipping. This I know of.

Zenith Bank Mastercard works on ATMs and POS terminals abroad.

If you want to get a mastercard, try Zenith Bank Mastercard.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by idea(m): 9:09pm On Mar 20, 2008
I have a Mastercard from Zenith Bank and it's been working for me since 2006. I have paid ACCA subscriptions and exam fees at least 7 times and I have bought goods from TM Lewin in the UK. People have bought books online from Barnes and Noble and they delivered to my office in Victoria Island.

The challenge of accepting it online by some merchants(mostly in the USA) is because of what is called AVS(address verification system) which is installed by most US merchants. They do not ship outside the USA even if your address and card is from Europe.

Though some do not ship to Nigeria becuase of fraud, I know Amazon would confirm from your bank b4 shipping. This I know of.

Zenith Bank Mastercard works on ATMs and POS terminals abroad.

If you want to get a mastercard, try Zenith Bank Mastercard.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by aderaskeey(m): 9:10pm On Mar 20, 2008
blacklion:

this makes the most sense to me
yeah blacklion
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by blacklion(m): 9:12pm On Mar 20, 2008
Any significant differences between terms of Zenith and GTB Mastercard offers?

I seem to recall that it was ECOBANK which introduced these Mastercard to the Nigerian market - how come they seem to have been overshadowed?
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by sturvs: 9:26pm On Mar 20, 2008
this is some good stuff, finally online commerce might see a breakthrough in nigeria
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by topkin(m): 11:25pm On Mar 20, 2008
I say this categorically

NIGERIAN MASTER CARDS ARE NOT ACCEPTED ONLINE/VIA INTERNET. So if u wnt to to use it for onlie payment or shopping, 4get it, it doesn't work! But if its to shop outside the country, like Dubai, it is accepted.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by Nobody: 11:54pm On Mar 20, 2008
well i have always tell people who care to listen that they shouldn't go for the Nigerian bank issued master card i don't use them because of the junks associated with naija . A friend of mine got the Zenith websufer card he was able to use it once after it has never work again well i prefer to use my virtual visa card from graphcard if you are in naija and you want to use your Nigerian bank issued mastercard or whatever try going www.indirectconnection may be this will work
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by d1tha1: 12:42am On Mar 21, 2008
I have a freind who used his GTB mastercard to pay for stuff in shops while in the UK so its generally accepted abroad at the point of sale. Dunno much about online purchases of physical items but I do know that TM Lewin for example ships to Nigeria and accepts nigerian debit/credit cards as means of payment so methinks it depends on the merchant.

As a suggestion, all of us can just keep up pressure on our banks to do something about the acceptability of these cards.

I believe naija will get there in time.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA!
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by ekstacy: 8:35am On Mar 21, 2008
blacklion:

Any significant differences between terms of Zenith and GTB Mastercard offers?

I seem to recall that it was ECOBANK which introduced these Mastercard to the Nigerian market - how come they seem to have been overshadowed?

answers to this pls.

Ecobank!  angry angry angry
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by otilox(m): 12:28pm On Mar 21, 2008
I have used zenith banks master card (web surfer) for almost a year now for various online transactions. I frequently purchase items from amazon.com and have them shipped to a us address cos most items dont ship outside usa. I also do alot of subscriptions, registerations and software purchases with the said master card. Thus I can say its been useful to me so far.

I have also had positive remarks from friends using access banks Visa card in atms within and outside 9ja. So I really dont know why nairalanders are having troubles with theirs. Although, many sites tend to reject cards and transcations coming from Nigeria, but keep looking, one out of 6 sites should accept.

Cheers.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by Truthman(m): 4:34pm On Mar 21, 2008
I have an Ecobank mastercard which I have been using since Dec 2005. I have used it on several occasions for online purchases on amazon which were delivered to me in Nigeria via DHL.

I also used in anytime I go to Europe and the US. Infact, I hardly carry cash for these trips again.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by shostar: 4:48pm On Mar 21, 2008
Have u ever tried that issued by GTB? It's working and I think it's one of the best.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by auwal87(m): 6:04pm On Mar 21, 2008
I purchased some books from Amazon.com
Subscribed to some Magazines
Purchased Web Hosting and Domain Names

Right here in Nigeria, and with a Nigerian IP Address, Can even View my account Balance Online,

Its kind of good thing for Nigeria, at least we are out with something to show, I am waiting for Nigerian PayPal,
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by FemiATL: 4:25am On Mar 22, 2008
I purchased some books from Amazon.com
Subscribed to some Magazines
Purchased Web Hosting and Domain Names

Right here in Nigeria, and with a Nigerian IP Address, Can even View my account Balance Online,

Its kind of good thing for Nigeria, at least we are out with something to show, I am waiting for Nigerian PayPal,

Hey friend, I hate to burst your bubble. Books and magazines are not so important to the merchants as electronics, clothes and other tagible items.
Try buying electronics and see if they will ship to you.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by smartsoft(m): 9:30am On Mar 22, 2008
someone said here Mastercard from Intercontinetal bank are not accepted online huh ? well i must tell you that i hve been getting Dedicated Servers with Intercontinital bank Master Card not only that i even told someone who was intrested in buying some stuffs online, he went ahead and bought Master card from Intercontinetal and they accepted it, so i don't know what you guys are talking about it, follow simple instruction on the purchase website, thats all and you will get want you want.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by Piddo(m): 10:19am On Mar 22, 2008
Well, I use a GTBank mastercard and can confirm it has worked on a couple of internet sites. Not sure if it is widely accepted though. I am however surprised that no one has mentioned anything on the POS charge, $6.50 per transaction!!! So everytime you use your card at a point of sale overseas, you are charged that amount. I was livid when I got my first bill because they hid that fact from me when marketing the product. Its the highest I've come across anywhere in the world. Most annoying entry was a tiny $17 grocery shopping that turned to $23.50 in my bill. Crooks!!
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by anataala: 10:15pm On Mar 23, 2008
hello,

i am using zenith master card, i used it and purchase so many thinks on the net, i also travelled abroad with the card i spend over 15,000 dollars, you can try zenith bank master card the range is between 2,000 dollars to 10,000 dollar limit
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by Piddo(m): 6:22am On Mar 24, 2008
@ Anataala

Quite interesting. The card range is between $2,000 and $10,000 but you managed to spend $15,000??. You must know someone right at the top, Maybe Jim himself eh?  cool
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by naijatips(m): 9:18am On Mar 24, 2008
Well as for me, as far as Im concern, I have used my Gtb Matsercard before at the few sites I have done my online transactions and it worked.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by africash(m): 4:58am On Mar 25, 2008
Niece post we have here, as for the acceptability of credit cards from nigeria i know GTbank master card is been accepted though i have not collected mine, my friend is using it to buy online since last year.

But that they are rejecting cards from nigeria or black listing us have not stop cyber crime, that is the reason i always shout it louder with every little opportunity that  i have is an insult to us as a nation, nigerian government should  look into this paypal and clickbank palaver because what this black listing means is that all nigerians are criminal including our president since they did not black list countries russia,italy and south africa who are also rated in cyber crime. am discussing these problem
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by victorayo: 9:53am On Mar 25, 2008
This issue is really a serious challenge to us all in Nigeria who do genuine business on the net. Or don't you people think so? but now that the challenge is there looking at us in the eyes, what is the way out of this disturbing trauma?

I think it is high time we begin to look for solutions to this problem if this country is to progress and meet the international standard of growth and development. Come to think of it, if as a nation, we are so repressed as not to be allowed or accepted to transact internationally as individual(s) or group, it is nothing to be desired.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by isuomo: 5:42pm On Mar 25, 2008
You guys should stop lying, i have held an Intercontinental Bank Mastercard since 2005, i have used it in UK several times even to buy fuel at the filling station or my groceries at Tesco, i have used it on several occasions in Macy's and Jos A Bank in Atlanta, i used it to hire a car in Baltimore and Toronto just last month. I am tired of all this i use Zenith card, GTB rocks claptrap or that because of 419 the card is rejected. It is just a lie and now that i have been residing in Nigeria for the last 12 months and my wife in London, i got a counterpart card and i put dollars in the account here in Lagos and she has never had any problem accessing the cash at ATM or indeed at POS transactions. Please if u dont have the facts, dont come here and tell porkies. geddit?
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by d1tha1: 7:28pm On Mar 25, 2008
isuomo:

You guys should stop lying, i have held an Intercontinental Bank Mastercard since 2005, i have used it in UK several times even to buy fuel at the filling station or my groceries at Tesco, i have used it on several occasions in Macy's and Jos A Bank in Atlanta, i used it to hire a car in Baltimore and Toronto just last month. I am tired of all this i use Zenith card, GTB rocks claptrap or that because of 419 the card is rejected. It is just a lie and now that i have been residing in Nigeria for the last 12 months and my wife in London, i got a counterpart card and i put dollars in the account here in Lagos and she has never had any problem accessing the cash at ATM or indeed at POS transactions. Please if u don't have the facts, don't come here and tell porkies. geddit?

@isuomo,

I think many of the poster here generally agree that the cards are accepted ON LOCATION (e.g. Tesco, Macys according to ur post), on SOME INTERNET SITES, particularly for SERVICES (e.g. Amazon, etc), and at ATMs ABROAD undecided

The problem is with purhcasing pyhsical goods that require "SHIPPING" to Nigeria wink. This is where the main complaint has been so it would help if u can tell us which sites you HAVE used your card to purchase PHYSICAL GOODS AND HAD THEM SUCCESFULLY SHIP YOUR PURCHASE TO NIGERIA. SImple wink
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by blacklion(m): 9:45pm On Mar 25, 2008
d1tha1:

@isuomo,

I think many of the poster here generally agree that the cards are accepted ON LOCATION (e.g. Tesco, Macys according to your post), on SOME INTERNET SITES, particularly for SERVICES (e.g. Amazon, etc), and at ATMs ABROAD undecided

The problem is with purhcasing pyhsical goods that require "SHIPPING" to Nigeria wink. This is where the main complaint has been so it would help if u can tell us which sites you HAVE used your card to purchase PHYSICAL GOODS AND HAD THEM SUCCESFULLY SHIP YOUR PURCHASE TO NIGERIA. SImple wink

abeg, educate him well, well. guy just jumped in with inflammatory comments without even reading the thread properly.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by blacklion(m): 9:46pm On Mar 25, 2008
Any one here is not an employee of Zenith,Intercontinental and GTB, please raise your hand grin
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by FemiATL: 12:51am On Mar 26, 2008
You guys should stop lying, i have held an Intercontinental Bank Mastercard since 2005, i have used it in UK several times even to buy fuel at the filling station or my groceries at Tesco, i have used it on several occasions in Macy's and Jos A Bank in Atlanta, i used it to hire a car in Baltimore and Toronto just last month. I am tired of all this i use Zenith card, GTB rocks claptrap or that because of 419 the card is rejected. It is just a lie and now that i have been residing in Nigeria for the last 12 months and my wife in London, i got a counterpart card and i put dollars in the account here in Lagos and she has never had any problem accessing the cash at ATM or indeed at POS transactions. Please if u don't have the facts, don't come here and tell porkies. geddit?

Looks like this guy smoked some crack whilst in Baltimore and Toronto.

@d1tha1
Please educate people who jump the gun on this thread. You are the official keeper on this thread.

Any one here is not an employee of Zenith, Intercontinental and GTB, please raise your hand
@blacklion
That was really funny. You made me laugh after a stressful day.

Please for others who want to jump in, the issue is ONLINE PURCHASES! From there we can narrow it to Non-Shippable and Shippable Purchases to give it some sense of direction.

Please let’s list “real” sites that we shopped in “Online”, so that others who want to perform legitimate transactions can go there too.

Nigeria We Hail Thee!
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by blacklion(m): 2:03am On Mar 26, 2008
FemiATL:

Please for others who want to jump in, the issue is ONLINE PURCHASES! From there we can narrow it to Non-Shippable and Shippable Purchases to give it some sense of direction.

Please let’s list “real” sites that we shopped in “Online”, so that others who want to perform legitimate transactions can go there too.

Nigeria We Hail Thee!

Great idea!
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by ruemu(m): 2:25pm On Mar 26, 2008
i have UBA mastercard, after all the marketing gemicks

Summarry,
It's a big SCAM,
the next time i visit the branch am closing the AC and returning the plastic card,
why I have to pay for having the plastic in my wallet,

NEVER work, was only lucky to pull my initial deposited fund from a Zenith ATM.

until today it's just a useless piece of plastic.

NEWZ, I got a letter from the branch that am on a debit of $200
ha ha ha for not even using the plastic LoL.

I can bet it's not some internet fraud coz no INTERNET SITE accepted IT

Lets stop the deceit 9ja still got a long rope to pull.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by showbobo(m): 3:02pm On Mar 27, 2008
ruemu:

i have UBA mastercard, after all the marketing gemicks

Summarry,
It's a big SCAM,
the next time i visit the branch am closing the AC and returning the plastic card,
why I have to pay for having the plastic in my wallet,

NEVER work, was only lucky to pull my initial deposited fund from a Zenith ATM.

until today it's just a useless piece of plastic.

NEWZ, I got a letter from the branch that am on a debit of $200
ha ha ha for not even using the plastic LoL.

I can bet it's not some internet fraud because no INTERNET SITE accepted IT

Lets stop the deceit Nigeria still got a long rope to pull.

lol grin grin grin
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by promise72(m): 9:24am On Mar 30, 2008
Yet to set up my matercard acct. I do have a friend here in calif. wt a GTB mastercard.
in fact, i helped the guy bring the card from naija last Jan when i was coming back to the US. (he travelled in Nov 07 and set up the acct) Card wasnt ready when he was coming back.

Anyway, he doesnt have problems pulling cash out at all. Money is loaded in his domiciliary acct and he will pull cash out here in the US. No problem to the best of my knowledge. Im not sure if any fee is applicable tho.
Re: Using Mastercards Issued By Nigerian Banks Online. Issues!? by DisGuy: 9:30am On Mar 30, 2008
Seems everyone is using them for foreign transactions online only

Are the cards accepted/usable on Nigerian website at all?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

AIMS Asset Management: A Fraud? / Can I Open A Bank Account With An Expired International Passport? / Fuel Attendants Insist Customers Buy Meatpie First Before They Sell Fuel (vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.