Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,246 members, 7,891,171 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 09:25 AM

The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt (8991 Views)

The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch / The Injustice Done To Buhari Is Not Redressed, So He Can't Attend NCS Meetings / Gej Is Weak And Disgrace To Ijaw By Asari Dokubo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by dayokanu(m): 5:54pm On Mar 17, 2013
coogar: that's another plausible way of looking at it......

maybe igbos are generally more intolerant than the others....
maybe igbos carry this air of superiority around them that makes them complain
maybe igbos whinge a whole lot more than their counterparts
or maybe everyone else is fed up with the adventuresome of the average igbo man!

Most likely reasons.

Why are Yorubas, Hausa, Tivs, Bini people in Port Harcourt not complaining or moaning

2 Likes

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 5:56pm On Mar 17, 2013
olabukola: Honestly you are not making sense at all. Ok if i bought your fathers 230 benz 10 years ago at 500k and today my son want to sale the benz and people are pricing it 30k will my son come to you to say you cheated my father. What is investment if i may ask? That is called having foresight and nothing more. I bought half plot of land some where in lagos last week and the seller is an ibo man, he has 5 plots and he told me he bought from deeper life some years back at a cheap. So should i tell him to sale it to me the price he bought.

Don't you know that 17k 38 years ago is equivalent to that 20m of today.

Your first sentance did not show you as ibo as you claimed. "Buy up land in a place like ours"

Abagworo says his dad is from Imo State and his mother is from River State, so I guess he feels the need to be sentimental about this.

But am pretty sure he is missing the point. This is not about who comes from where. The truth should be the truth, you can not eat your cake and have it. The idea that he will criticise people for choosing to buy instead of rent because someday aboriginal people will lay claim to investments is really laughable and outdated! We are talking about Nigerians in Nigeria being told to no live free!

Nothing can be funnier! We are not a serious people honestly!!!

1 Like

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by hardniola(m): 5:56pm On Mar 17, 2013
does that mean ibo are now begging to be nigeria.......
According to my friend he said tym will com when ibo wil be begging naija to forget biafra nd carry one nigeria for head.

1 Like

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by omonnakoda: 5:57pm On Mar 17, 2013
manny4life:

This is why at times I find it hard to pity for them, if they can't go back home and rebuild it like they do in other states, when the wrath of their host falls on them, they're to blame.
I heard that the gods at home are not happy that they have been abandoned for Oyinbo gods and inflict severe chastisement on them. Another thing is this Osu business.Many so called Osu cannot return home for fear and shame
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by manny4life(m): 5:58pm On Mar 17, 2013
krendo:

where is home?

so much for one Nigeria lol!!!

Lol, that depends on different individuals, for me, my home is Nnewi, Anambra state. My brother, there's nothing like ONE NIGERIA, anyone believing in that ONE NIGERIA illusion needs to be flogged in an open market square. The Unity of Nigeria has long been severed, long before the war, we're just living on an expired timeline. It's unfortunate that many cannot see the handwriting on the wall, that's why I pity them.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by manny4life(m): 5:59pm On Mar 17, 2013
omonnakoda:
I heard that the gods at home are not happy that they have been abandoned for Oyinbo gods and inflict severe chastisement on them. Another thing is this Osu business.Many so called Osu cannot return home for fear and shame

What nonsense are you talking about?

You need help, go organize yourself first, then come back and QUOTE ME.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by EzeUche(m): 5:59pm On Mar 17, 2013
omonnakoda:
So far we have heard only one side of this Borokiri story and it is obvious who you are prepared to believe. I say without fear that Iboland is the most hostile place to foreigners yet Ibos are always screaming and moaning

That is a lie. There are plenty of foreigners in Igboland who have lived there for generations. Just look at the Hausa communities in Abia and Enugu.

Onitsha has always been cosmopolitan and Enugu's first mayor was a Hausa.

2 Likes

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by seanet02: 6:02pm On Mar 17, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^Why the laughter? You find this issue funny? undecided
Isn't it funny that The Original owners of the Land are being intimidated?
Or are you ibos not the owner me Portharcourt again as nairaland number one revisionist Dende1 normally claims?
Buncha losers

3 Likes

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by EzeUche(m): 6:02pm On Mar 17, 2013
manny4life:

This is why at times I find it hard to pity for them, if they can't go back home and rebuild it like they do in other states, when the wrath of their host falls on them, they're to blame.

It is becoming tiresome. Then always want sympathy from other Igbos who either live in Igboland or in friendlier business climates.

Enough of their whining and pack up and move their businesses. Divestment is the best revenge.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by omonnakoda: 6:03pm On Mar 17, 2013
EzeUche:

That is a lie. There are plenty of foreigners in Igboland who have lived there for generations. Just look at the Hausa communities in Abia and Enugu.

Onitsha has always been cosmopolitan and Enugu's first mayor was a Hausa.
There are more Ibos in Hausaland or any other person's place than vice versa.
You can call me a liar if you like. Did I say there are no Hausa in Ibo land?
How many Lagos Indigeines are employed in Imo state or Abia state civil service??

3 Likes

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by EzeUche(m): 6:06pm On Mar 17, 2013
omonnakoda: There are more Ibos in Hausaland or any other person's place than vice versa.
You can call me a liar if you like. Did I say there are no Hausa in Ibo land?
How many Lagos Indigeines are employed in Imo state or Abia state civil service??

Why don't they come to Igboland and see for themselves if they will be welcomed??

Have you ever been in Igboland to say otherwise? If not, I advise you not to comment on issues that do not concern you.

The reason you do not see many of the other groups in Igboland is because of the lack of federal presence within the region.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Katsumoto: 6:09pm On Mar 17, 2013
dayokanu:

Most likely reasons.

Why are Yorubas, Hausa, Tivs, Bini people in Port Harcourt not complaining or moaning

The fact is that all ethnic groups in Nigeria are maligned by their own leaders and others. But some Igbo folks like to complain. Some Igbo also create problems for themselves by always stating publicly that they are buying other peoples land.

2 Likes

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by EzeUche(m): 6:10pm On Mar 17, 2013
My Igbo brothers and sisters, the industrial town of Aba is not that far from Port Harcourt.

Why not set move to Aba or even Owerri and open up your businesses there?
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Abagworo(m): 6:11pm On Mar 17, 2013
Though officially known as Umuchieze cattle market, most people prefer to call it Lokpanta cattle market. It is the largest cattle market East of the Niger. The cattle market which covers more than one square kilometer is a community of its own.

Perhaps, it is on the basis of the rising population of this community which has become a melting pot for people from almost all parts of the country that the leadership of the cattle market association, had since called on the Abia state government to create a political ward in the market to give the traders the opportunity to vote during general elections.

And as the traders were thinking of going back to the North, the former Abia state governor Orji Uzor Kalu, invited their leaders for talks, and at the end of the day, the Abia state government provided a large expanse of land at Umuchieze in Umunneochi Local Government Area of the state, for the cattle traders to stay and ply their business.

According to Alhaji Bishara, most of the cattle traders are from the Northern parts of the country, and have lived all their lives in Abia state. Indeed, most of them are descendants of Hausa/ Fulani cattle traders who had settled in Umuahia long before the country gained independence from the British colonial masters on October 1, 1960.

“We do not see ourselves as traders alone, but as residents and citizens of Abia state who are working and trading for the development of the economy of the state, and that is why we are agitating for a special political ward to enable us elect somebody who will represent our interests in the local government council.

“Actually the Abia state government had in the past, extended political appointments including a special advisory position to some of us. This goes to show how close we are to the government of Abia state. But we are asking for one of us to be appointed a commissioner to represent our interests in the Abia state executive council, whenever governor Theodore Orji decides to dissolve the existing state executive, and appoint a new one.

“I must say that this community enjoys a good relationship with the administration of Governor Theodore Orji as well as that of the Umunne ochi local government council. The relationship with the council is so cordial, and even when we quarrel with indigenous farmers in the area over the grazing of our cattle in their farmland, the successive council chairmen had invited us for amicable settlement of the matter instead of engaging in violent clashes with our hosts.

“We are enjoying reasonable security in the market, and that has allowed our business to thrive. We thank the Abia state government for approving the posting of soldiers and mobile police men here. The Abia state government has also provided us with nomadic school for our children, and we are requesting the government to also provide us with a health centre where our women can take treatment with ease rather than travelling long distances to access medical care,” said Alhaji Bishara in an interview with LEADERSHIP SUNDAY.

The relocation of the cattle market to Lokpanta, many say, has not only reduced to the barest minimum incidents of violent robbery in the area, but has also led to the development of a new community in the Umunneochi Local Government Area.
Interestingly, two commercial banks – First Bank and Union Bank, had opened branches in the cattle market, making it easier for traders to secure their money against the nefarious activities of armed gangs who used to roam the area with impunity.

Though the banks were attacked by armed robbers two years ago, forcing them to close shop, the new security measures adopted by the present Abia state government had led the management of the two banks to resolve to resume business in the market in January 2013.

LEADERSHIP SUNDAY gathered that several cattle traders from the North who have lived in Abia state for several years, have married from the area, and such marriages have produced the fruits of the womb. Ejike Ukonu, who lives in Umuchieze, says that inter-ethnic marriage is a strong tool to unite the disparate peoples of Nigeria.

http://www.leadership.ng/nga/articles/44277/2013/01/06/umuchieze_cattle_market_unifying_point_northsouth.html

1 Like

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by manny4life(m): 6:13pm On Mar 17, 2013
EzeUche:

It is becoming tiresome. Then always want sympathy from other Igbos who either live in Igboland or in friendlier business climates.

Enough of their whining and pack up and move their businesses. Divestment is the best revenge.

Well, the sooner they realize that other Igbos are getting fed up with the complaints (with the exception of death related cases), they will make haste while the sun still shines. I tell you, divesting is the best thing - if Innoson is at Nnewi, Geometris in Aba as well as other manufacturing companies in the east, I even heard that the Africa's largest Aluminum Can producing company (financed thru Fidelity Bank) is at Aba, Sabmiller ther potential customer is at Onitsha, and many of them, I see no reason why anyone will wanna stay in another man's land and be suffering... tufia.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by dayokanu(m): 6:16pm On Mar 17, 2013
EzeUche:

Why don't they come to Igboland and see for themselves if they will be welcomed??

Have you ever been in Igboland to say otherwise? If not, I advise you not to comment on issues that do not concern you.

The reason you do not see many of the other groups in Igboland is because of the lack of federal presence within the region.

What Federal presence is in Ibadan, Akure, Yola, Maiduguri that your people flood to?

2 Likes

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by asha80(m): 6:20pm On Mar 17, 2013
abagworo sorry but that your last explanation of going back to the original owner of land before selling it makes no sense.to also think that you have 'naija must survive' as your siggy makes your stance laughable.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by asha80(m): 6:22pm On Mar 17, 2013
Abagworo:

The topic itself proves that everything is wrong with buying. Is it only Igbos that trade in the market? Some of the Yorubas/Hausas/Efiks/Ijaws could be richer but still chose to rent instead of buying up. Imagine where a town market like "Nkwor Nnewi" gets burnt and after Nnewi North LGA finished the re-construction, Okrika people will come out with 1983 documents claiming to have bought "Nkwor Nnewi" from the natives.
are there okrika people trading in nkwor nnewi.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by CyberG: 6:22pm On Mar 17, 2013
Ikengawo: where did this SW come from? My friend go and speak to your father, imbe.

He stated the obvious buy you'd prefer if he played dead and not bring in that angle at only the 4th post of the topic? Well SW comes in for obvious reasons which you wish people will not notice. The SW accommodates iboz the most in Nigeria but most iboz are soo ungrateful. In the north, iboz have to hide and stay in Sabo else they are slaughtered. At home, they are kidnapped, killed for rituals, eaten sometimes, robbed or shot dead! In the SS, they are not wanted like the current case in point but the only SW who are more sophisticated are the usual objects of your misplaced anger. Be honest and this becomes very easy to see!

2 Likes

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by rosebowl01(m): 6:25pm On Mar 17, 2013
There's always a ready made excuse for everything under the sun.
the reason why they hate us....
the reason why we're superior...
the reason why we kill non ibo leaders is because of Awolowo presidency...
the reason why this, and that...
new one: people don't come to our land now because government is avoiding us.
common people!
EzeUche:

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 6:25pm On Mar 17, 2013
Ezeuche / Manni4life

You guys are missing the point that when you are in buying and selling all you are looking for is market share. An area where you can find a space to thrive. Proximity to your customers is the key here and that is why people move to distant lands to trade! It has nothing to do with advanced facilities . . .btw the last time I checked Lagos, PH, Kano, Bayelsa, Sokoto, Kaduna, Ibadan etc these places are not London & New York!

You can only do you run a business from Remote Locations if you are a Manufacturer, if for some reasons you can sell cheaper than anyone else because you are either a sole distributor or major distributor or in these days of the internet if you can comfortably pull off online trade. The later is not advanced yet in Nigeria, most of the traders are not farmiliar with internet, most naija population are not using the internet either, the address system in naija is not even supportive of online business, we do not even have a very effective postal system.

So really asking people to move back to the East is just not practically, traders need proximity to their customers for now!
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by omonnakoda: 6:26pm On Mar 17, 2013
EzeUche:

What is federal presence
You have Enugu airport in the Capital of the Old Eastern region is there any Federal presence in Ibadan or Akure
What federal presnce is there in the Western Region that is not in the Eastern?
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by asha80(m): 6:26pm On Mar 17, 2013
CyberG:

He stated the obvious buy you'd prefer if he played dead and not bring in that angle at only the 4th post of the topic? Well SW comes in for obvious reasons which you wish people will not notice. The SW accommodates iboz the most in Nigeria but most iboz are soo ungrateful. In the north, iboz have to hide and stay in Sabo else they are slaughtered. At home, they are kidnapped, killed for rituals, eaten sometimes, robbed or shot dead! In the SS, they are not wanted like the current case in point but the only SW who are more sophisticated are the usual objects of your misplaced anger. Be honest and this becomes very easy to see!
yawns as cyber guy comes again with his normal rants.

2 Likes

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by dayokanu(m): 6:29pm On Mar 17, 2013
CyberG:

Let them continue to bite the finger thats feeding them

When the SW gets tired and chase them out they would go to Boko Territory or the SS

Most SE dont even know they are more hated in the SS than anywhere. Ask them where the cases of abandoned properties took place.

I met one Eleme boy one time and cant believe the hatred he has for the Ibos

Though he was botter at everyone Hausa for getting all govt appointment, Yorubas for aligning with Oyinbo to rob them of jobs in Oil companies (Even though he later admitted anyone who went school in his area would get those jobs too) but his hatred for Ibos was because they dominated things the average SS does,

Its only educated ppl who would complain about Yorubas and Oil jobs but all the commoners, peasants all complain about Ibos

2 Likes

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by dayokanu(m): 6:31pm On Mar 17, 2013
rosebowl01: There's always a ready made excuse for everything under the sun.
the reason why they hate us....
the reason why we're superior...
the reason why we kill non ibo leaders is because of Awolowo presidency...
the reason why this, and that...
new one: people don't come to our land now because government is avoiding us.
common people!

Welcome to Alaibo the land of excuses and whiners
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by asha80(m): 6:32pm On Mar 17, 2013
dayokanu:

When the SW gets tired and chase them out they would go to Boko Territory or the SS

Most SE dont even know they are more hated in the SS than anywhere. Ask them where the cases of abandoned properties took place.

Though he was botter at everyone Hausa for getting all govt appointment, Yorubas for aligning with Oyinbo to rob them of jobs in Oil companies (Even though he later admitted anyone who went school in his area would get those jobs too) but his hatred for Ibos was because they dominated things the average SS does,

Its only educated ppl who would complain about Yorubas and Oil jobs but all the commoners, peasants all complain about Ibos
more yawns

2 Likes

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by EzeUche(m): 6:33pm On Mar 17, 2013
Many Igbos are merchants by trade. The reason why you find many Igbos outside of Igboland is because many of the markets in Ibadan, Akure, Minna, Jos are untapped.

it is simply supply and demand. If there were no demand for Igbo products, then the Igbos will not be present in your land.

The problem I have with my Igbo brothers and sisters is that they want to use the money they gained and invest in another man's land and build homes outside of their homeland.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by omonnakoda: 6:35pm On Mar 17, 2013
EzeUche: Many Igbos are merchants by trade. The reason why you find many Igbos outside of Igboland is because many of the markets in Ibadan, Akure, Minna, Jos are untapped.

it is simply supply and demand. If there were no demand for Igbo products, then the Igbos will not be present in your land.

The problem I have with my Igbo brothers and sisters is that they want to use the money they gained and invest in another man's land and build homes outside of their homeland.

What exactly are these Ibo products
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by manny4life(m): 6:36pm On Mar 17, 2013
krendo: Ezeuche / Manni4life

You guys are missing the point that when you are in buying and selling all you are looking for is market share. An area where you can find a space to thrive. Proximity to your customers is the key here and that is why people move to distant lands to trade! It has nothing to do with advanced facilities . . .btw the last time I checked Lagos, PH, Kano, Bayelsa, Sokoto, Kaduna, Ibadan etc these places are not London & New York!

You can only do you run a business from Remote Locations if you are a Manufacturer, if for some reasons you can sell cheaper than anyone else because you are either a sole distributor or major distributor or in these days of the internet if you can comfortably pull off online trade. The later is not advanced yet in Nigeria, most of the traders are not farmiliar with internet, most naija population are not using the internet either, the address system in naija is not even supportive of online business, we do not even have a very effective postal system.

So really asking people to move back to the East is just not practically, traders need proximity to their customers for now!

Well, let them stay and continue bearing the loss, after all, Onitsha market is there. Like someone state, Nkwor Nnewi is there, I've seen boys come down Nnewi to buy goods and leave. Proximity is good but what's more important is accessibility. It's not like East has dormant cities, there's accessible infrastructure in place to cater to their needs, and it only gets better if there's resource available. I'd rather remit my resources to my state to be used for better stuff than someone else and yet cry victim about it.

They're not London or NY, but if I want something in NY, I have to travel out to NY and get it, right? Same logic applies. If where you're trading is becoming unfriendly and hostile, LEAVE THE PLACE. People moving back to the east is VERY MUCH PRACTICAL, just that we haven't told ourselves the truth yet, we're just looking for one excuse or the other, when time comes, what will tell them will. No one is asking them to go to the village and stay, there are cities in the east from Enugu to Onitsha to Aba to Owerri and the list continues, if you feel you cannot effect changes there, NDO.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by omonnakoda: 6:37pm On Mar 17, 2013
We are talking about Bournvita and fanta that Ibos do not allow others to sell peacefully in Iboland but will go to other peole's place to sell unmolested
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Abagworo(m): 6:41pm On Mar 17, 2013
dayokanu:

1st of all I have to correct you that there are more Igbos in the North than the SW. You can verify through various associations and churches. There are equally more foreigners in the North than other parts of Nigeria.

Igbos generally have a belief of seeing where they are settled as home which other Nigerians lack. It would have been better if these Igbos were investing at home like their Yoruba counterparts and hence avoid domination and hatred. All those Yorubas in PH oil companies invest their money in Ibadan, Ife or Lagos and own one mansion in PH which they sell off to an ever willing Igbo on transfer while their Igbo counterparts own 20 landed properties in Rivers State and one mansion in the village.

2 Likes

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by dayokanu(m): 6:46pm On Mar 17, 2013
EzeUche: Why do some of my Igbo brothers continue to whine? I am tired of hearing about this moaning.

If the town or city is not friendly to your business, then move for goodness sake.

In the era of globalization, you do not have to stay in that city. Why stay in a place when you are not welcomed?

You are seeing the light

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Patience Jonathan To Lead Cyber Security Global Campaign / Confirmed. Jonathan has Destroyed The "Biggest Party In Africa". / Do Nigeria Import Palm Oil From Malaysia?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.