Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,252 members, 7,891,204 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 09:48 AM

The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt (8994 Views)

The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch / The Injustice Done To Buhari Is Not Redressed, So He Can't Attend NCS Meetings / Gej Is Weak And Disgrace To Ijaw By Asari Dokubo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Afam4eva(m): 7:45pm On Mar 17, 2013
Ngwakwe: @Afam and Manny

There are factors to consider before siting a market or business.

Those factors are the reason why Igbo merchants move their businesses for a greener pasture.

Igbo Merchants seek two factors to site their business: 1. Population and 2. The Spending Power of the locality or neighborhood

Laws of marginal returns will kill the profitability of these businesses if they cluster in exclusive South East States.

USA Aids are specifically meant to open several markets around the world for US investors, likewise Chinese and Japanese.

US Industrialist and Merchants are flooding into China and India because they have the population and the spending power.

Prosperity will always attract envy, it's simple logic that must not be ruled out. It will always depend on how wise you are to maneuver these obstacles and manage them that make you successful.
I understand this perfectly. That's why i said the SE governors should do something about it. We need to increase the spending power of the population in the SE and that will attract more business people including those traders. We have to at least have 70% of our workforce in the south-east.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Katsumoto: 7:45pm On Mar 17, 2013
Ngwakwe: @Afam and Manny

There are factors to consider before siting a market or business.

Those factors are the reason why Igbo merchants move their businesses for a greener pasture.

Igbo Merchants seek two factors to site their business: 1. Population and 2. The Spending Power of the locality or neighborhood

Laws of marginal returns will kill the profitability of these businesses if they cluster in exclusive South East States.

USA Aids are specifically meant to open several markets around the world for US investors, likewise Chinese and Japanese.

US Industrialist and Merchants are flooding into China and India because they have the population and the spending power.

Prosperity will always attract envy, it's simple logic that must not be ruled out. It will always depend on how wise you are to maneuver these obstacles and manage them that make you successful.

What about being loud and boastful? You don't think others are reading on NL how Ndigbo is buying and developing the rest of Nigeria?

6 Likes

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by omonnakoda: 7:47pm On Mar 17, 2013
asha 80: 'why do we have passport and borders of course i am talking about western nigeria' so western nigerians have passport that is different from nigerian passport?
I was not talking to you and he whom I was talking to should get my meaning within the context of our antecedent discussion. You are an uninvited interloping busybody,a pesky bluebottle.

1 Like

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by djon78(m): 7:48pm On Mar 17, 2013
krendo: We need to evolve from Buying and selling to manufacturing and site the manufacturing plants in the east

we got the spirit of commerce and industry to see it through

that is the only way the next generation of Igbos will avoid man's inhumanity to man

Now you are making the most important point, my Igbo brothers should reduce their focus on trading and begin to look on manufacturing and production in the east. They must change their bussiness model because the way of doing bussines has so much changed around the globe, look at the Chinese and Indians in every nook and cranny of Nigeria and Africa bringing their products and services they produce in their different country. What stops the Igbos to copy from these people produce in east and export to other parts of Africa first and then to other parts of the world. I remeber as a kid taiwan was new into manufacturing and their products were sub standard but with time they gained expertise, today taiwan is a global player in technologies boasting of big global companies like HTC, Acer and many other companies, this is what Igbos should be doing start manufacturing and sell outside, even though the products may not be up to world standard but with time the expertise will improve, that's why I like people like Innoson car manufacturing, people will crticize the product but with time he will produce better motors.

2 Likes

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Abagworo(m): 7:55pm On Mar 17, 2013
omonnakoda: That conclusion does not follow from the premise by any logic and once again they are not "TRIBAL" so I suggest you educate yourself. They were nations and it is important for nations to have identity and to protect that . That is neither Tribal nor xenophobic . Why do we have passports and borders
of course I am talking of Western Nigeria. There may be other places where "TRIBE " may be Accurate but in Western Nigeria they were nations Ijebu,Egba,etc were all Kingdoms. These Kingdoms would sit quite comfortably within a larger Nation. That is essentially what Federal Germany Today is. Formed from several smaller Germanic Kingdoms
Small Yes but then Ireland,Belgium,Portugal,Luxemboourg are small too. Oyo was of Course an empire that extended to Ghana. So these were not tribes AT ALL. Why should they identify with the Ibo man or the Efik man. Those are different nations amalgamted into a Union or confederation. This does not mean we should dissolve into each other or that refusal to do so is some kind of flaw deserving meaningless labels like XENOPHOBIA

This our discussion is rather a culture thing but you need to read your history well. There was never a Yoruba nation. There were groups that spoke different dialects of what we now call Yoruba but never heard nor used the term "Yoruba" in their various languages. Egba never saw themselves as the same people with Oyo and Ijesha nor did they collectively see themselves as one and maybe Nupe and Bini as different. This Yorubaism that you are exhibiting today is a product of Europeans.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Ngwakwe: 7:56pm On Mar 17, 2013
The next statement reads thus:

It will always depend on how wise you are to maneuver these obstacles and manage them that make you successful.

Katsumoto:

What about being loud and boastful? You don't think others are reading on NL how Ndigbo is buying and developing the rest of Nigeria?
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by udezue(m): 7:56pm On Mar 17, 2013
The Igbos are a major group in the East and the largest in size and population. The best solution is to copy the Fulani way of treating its neighbors and burn down Bokiri if needed to teach those causing them such trouble not to mess with them. I'm sick and tired of it. I can understand if they are a minority in places like the North but not in PH where they are majority. Sometimes you have to get really nasty to gain respect and if they make Bokiri area and that market a war zone since the inhabitants have declared war on them I am sure they will be begging for peace.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by omonnakoda: 7:57pm On Mar 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
I understand this perfectly. That's why i said the SE governors should do something about it. We need to increase the spending power of the population in the SE and that will attract more business people including those traders. We have to at least have 70% of our workforce in the south-east.
It is not just governemnt the attitude of many Ibos when they have power is skewed.Look at you and how quickly you jump to ban people once you have a whiff of power. Look at Rochas and Ubas. The general attitude is to oppress and intimidate those perceived as having less whilst mouthing off we are EGALITARIAN. Ibos will NEVER return home if Nigeria is peaceful because generally other Nigerians are very accommodating to them even more than at home .Fact. How many Nnewi guys will invest in Aba?
Ibos have been buying and selling Electronics for more than 30 years at Alaba why have they Not started manufacturing in Nigeria. Simple It is too long term for them and they always have a short term horizon in their business.
The other thing is this you do not say we need to encourage other Nigerians to come to the SE to enhance the spending power of the region.Why ? because they are not welcome is the simple truth?
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by asha80(m): 7:58pm On Mar 17, 2013
omonnakoda: I was not talking to you and he whom I was talking to should get my meaning within the context of our antecedent discussion. You are an uninvited interloping busybody,a pesky bluebottle.
see old man on nairaland.father please your grey hair lol.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Afam4eva(m): 7:58pm On Mar 17, 2013
Katsumoto:

I think you're too intelligent for this. You should leave these kinds of post for the likes of ekoile and ommonakoda. It can be argued from now till the next century that Igbos are not more boastful than others and even if they are, how does that change anything? It seems we justify injustice only when the group on the receiving end are loud and boastful. Like i said, you're more intelligent than this.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by asha80(m): 7:59pm On Mar 17, 2013
omonnakoda: I was not talking to you and he whom I was talking to should get my meaning within the context of our antecedent discussion. You are an uninvited interloping busybody,a pesky bluebottle.
see old man on nairaland.father please respect your grey hair lol.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by asha80(m): 7:59pm On Mar 17, 2013
see old man on abusing on nairaland.father please respect your grey hair lol.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Katsumoto: 8:02pm On Mar 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
I think you're too intelligent for this. You should leave these kinds of post for people liek ekoile and ommonakoda. It can be argued from now till the next century that Igbos are not more boastful than others and even if they are, how does that change anything? It seems we justify injustice only when the group on the receiving end are loud and boastful. Like i said, you're more intelligent than this.

I am not justifying it in that I support it rather I am explaining why resentment builds up and leads to issues such as this.

Ngwakwe: The next statement reads thus:

It will always depend on how wise you are to maneuver these obstacles and manage them that make you successful.

Don't try to twist; you were attributing it to envy and I was merely stating that there could be other reasons besides envy.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by McKren(m): 8:03pm On Mar 17, 2013
udezue: The Igbos are a major group in the East and the largest in size and population. The best solution is to copy the Fulani way of treating its neighbors and burn down Bokiri if needed to teach those causing them such trouble not to mess with them. I'm sick and tired of it. I can understand if they are a minority in places like the North but not in PH where they are majority. Sometimes you have to get really nasty to gain respect and if they make Bokiri area and that market a war zone since the inhabitants have declared war on them I am sure they will be begging for peace.

lol u may just have a point
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by omonnakoda: 8:06pm On Mar 17, 2013
asha 80: see old man on nairaland.father please respect your grey hair lol.
I am not your father Please !
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by asha80(m): 8:17pm On Mar 17, 2013
omonnakoda:
It is not just governemnt the attitude of many Ibos when they have power is skewed.Look at you and how quickly you jump to ban people once you have a whiff of power. Look at Rochas and Ubas. The general attitude is to oppress and intimidate those perceived as having less whilst mouthing off we are EGALITARIAN. Ibos will NEVER return home if Nigeria is peaceful because generally other Nigerians are very accommodating to them even more than at home .Fact. How many Nnewi guys will invest in Aba?
Ibos have been buying and selling Electronics for more than 30 years at Alaba why have they Not started manufacturing in Nigeria. Simple It is too long term for them and they always have a short term horizon in their business.
The other thing is this you do not say we need to encourage other Nigerians to come to the SE to enhance the spending power of the region.Why ? because they are not welcome is the simple truth?
pls keep quiet if you are not sure of what you are saying.how many of the business men in aba are aba indigenes?how many of the businessmen in onitsha are onitsha indigenes?
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Ngwakwe: 8:17pm On Mar 17, 2013
Manufacturing goes together with distribution.

USA, China and Japan are subsidizing most of their industrial products that Nigerians can't compete without the help of Federal Government in an open market system. The question is if the federal Government has the courage to impose enough duties on the imported products to help the infant industries.

On the other hand, the Igbo merchants are mostly serving as middlemen in distributing these products in various localities in Nigeria thereby making huge profits that are enticing. The Igbos involve in importation and distribution of these products thereby serving as fronts for these countries.

The major mistake I see, is that these middlemen ought to liaise with these foreigners on how to give back to the society the operate. This will help in reducing the tension between them and their host communities.

Even United traders union can look for a way to give back to the society that has given them wealth by engaging in social and community developmental projects irrespective of how small these projects may be.

djon78:

Now you are making the most important point, my Igbo brothers should reduce their focus on trading and begin to look on manufacturing and production in the east. They must change their bussiness model because the way of doing bussines has so much changed around the globe, look at the Chinese and Indians in every nook and cranny of Nigeria and Africa bringing their products and services they produce in their different country. What stops the Igbos to copy from these people produce in east and export to other parts of Africa first and then to other parts of the world. I remeber as a kid taiwan was new into manufacturing and their products were sub standard but with time they gained expertise, today taiwan is a global player in technologies boasting of big global companies like HTC, Acer and many other companies, this is what Igbos should be doing start manufacturing and sell outside, even though the products may not be up to world standard but with time the expertise will improve, that's why I like people like Innoson car manufacturing, people will crticize the product but with time he will produce better motors.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Abagworo(m): 8:20pm On Mar 17, 2013
omonnakoda:

I want to believe that you've never been to Igboland to have made some laughable contributions. The 2nd most industrialized city in Nigeria today after Lagos is Aba. Most of the industries in Lagos also have their Aba plant. Most of the shoes and handbags used in Nigeria are manufactured in Aba. Only Lagos surpasses Onitsha in terms of volume of trade in Nigeria. By 1900, there were no cities in the SE but today, we have fastest grown cities that were never capital territories but products of our sweat. Only Ibadan is bigger than Aba and Onitsha.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by omonnakoda: 8:33pm On Mar 17, 2013
Abagworo:

I want to believe that you've never been to Igboland to have made some laughable contributions. The 2nd most industrialized city in Nigeria today after Lagos is Aba. Most of the industries in Lagos also have their Aba plant. Most of the shoes and handbags used in Nigeria are manufactured in Aba. Only Lagos surpasses Onitsha in terms of volume of trade in Nigeria. By 1900, there were no cities in the SE but today, we have fastest grown cities that were never capital territories but products of our sweat. Only Ibadan is bigger than Aba and Onitsha.
I have some more "facts" for you

The most handsome man in Nigeria is from Onitsha and the
Most beautiful girl is from Nnewi

Half of the eggs eaten in Nigeria are laid in Umuahia
Most of the Bread eaten in Nigeria is baked in Owerri
Nearly half of all the Garrri and 2/3 of Amala flour comes from Awka
Aba is no longer the second most industrialized city it is the First

6 Likes

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by cfours: 8:37pm On Mar 17, 2013
Ikengawo: the paradox of Nigeria is that Igbos are the only ones that are actively participating in the oneness of Nigeria (living, developing, working and schooling in all regions, etc), but are treated as if they're the opposite). I'm not too concerned because Igbos always find a way to work themselves to the top regardless of the stones thrown at them. Instead of weeding out the laziness in their character, lazy people will always try to sabotage the hard worker.

what kind of "oneness" are you talking about?
self delusion, illusion of grandeur is a disease. seek medical treatment ASAP.
The traders might have even set the fire on the shops, for all we know, so that they can force FG to build new shops for them. very conniving set of people.

1 Like

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by omonnakoda: 8:39pm On Mar 17, 2013
c.fours:

The traders might have even set the fire on the shops so that they can force FG to build new shops for them. very conniving set of people.
don't say that about Ibos they are the Most and biggest everything. Superior Beings them
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by asha80(m): 8:40pm On Mar 17, 2013
c.fours:

The traders might have even set the fire on the shops so that they can force FG to build new shops for them. very conniving set of people.
*yawn*
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by cfours: 8:42pm On Mar 17, 2013
omonnakoda:
don't say that about Ibos they are the Most and biggest everything. Superior Beings them

tell me about it.
"superior beings" throwing tantrum and fits over the clearing of illegal stuctures on sidewalks and streets.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by cfours: 8:48pm On Mar 17, 2013
krendo:

It is time to stop treating the Igbos as immigrants in any part of Nigeria, No Nigerian is an immigrant in any part of Nigeria. That at least is the position of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Shut up!! last time I checked, the yorubas and hausas in igboland were also complaining of the mistreatment they face in the hands of igbos. Infact, most don't go to the east because of the very hostile treatment they face from the igbos.
so you really have no right to complain when other tribes are welcoming you with open arms. what else do you want? to be treated like a king? Why do you think you deserve a better treatment than the indigenes themselves?
Useless parasite!

1 Like

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Nightshift(m): 8:49pm On Mar 17, 2013
It seems Ndigbo are loosing their sense of history. Due to the terrible loss Ndigbo suffered in Rivers state during the civil war, Igbo importers and traders were shy setting up big businesses in Garden City. Inhabitants of Port Harcourt were somehow forced to do their big shoppings at Aba and Onitsha during the 70s and 80s. By so doing they felt the pain of mass exodus of Igbo traders from Rivers state after the civil war. A trip to Park Rd. or St Michael Street in Aba in those years showed thousands of PH inhabitants buying electronic appliances. Same at Kent Rd. and School Rd, where fabrics and clothes were sold. It was equally same at Onitsha. Ndigbo must strive to creat those trading hubs in Igboland. The rest of the country will be forced to travel to Igboland if they want to buy quality and cheaper goods. It will also be to our geo-political advantage. We must learn from what happened to Jews in Germany during the Third Reich.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by omonnakoda: 8:56pm On Mar 17, 2013
Nightshift: It seems Ndigbo are loosing their sense of history. Due to the terrible loss Ndigbo suffered in Rivers state during the civil war, Igbo importers and traders were shy setting up big businesses in Garden City. Inhabitants of Port Harcourt were somehow forced to do their big shoppings at Aba and Onitsha during the 70s and 80s. By so doing they felt the pain of mass exodus of Igbo traders from Rivers state after the civil war. A trip to Park Rd. or St Michael Street in Aba in those years showed thousands of PH inhabitants buying electronic appliances. Same at Kent Rd. and School Rd, where fabrics and clothes were sold. It was equally same at Onitsha. Ndigbo must strive to creat those trading hubs in Igboland. The rest of the country will be forced to travel to Igboland if they want to buy quality and cheaper goods. It will also be to our geo-political advantage. We must learn from what happened to Jews in Germany during the Third Reich.
Not true. Immediately after the war the ibo returned and cotinued trading in the areas known as "man must wack,Mile 1 and 3 ,Ikoku etc . Why is it it only Ibos in conflict everywhere?

1 Like

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by confusion247(m): 8:57pm On Mar 17, 2013
Mr. Garri.:
Sorry ooo!!

Maybe if you made ur region a little more inhabitable you guyz won't have to be moving en-masse to other regions (like nomads)in search of greener pastures

angry
Igbos are not the only tribe on earth moving out to other regions in search of greener pastures. Or is south east worst than boko haram inhabited areas? Your post have shown how little minded you are.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by omonnakoda: 9:01pm On Mar 17, 2013
I believe the Sardauna of Sokoto understood the Ibos very well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WSosECbcmM

2 Likes

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Nightshift(m): 9:03pm On Mar 17, 2013
omonnakoda:
Not true. Immediately after the war the ibo returned and cotinued trading in the areas known as "man must wack,Mile 1 and 3 ,Ikoku etc . Why is it it only Ibos in conflict everywhere?
Those were small traders and start-ups. Anybody who lived in Port Harcourt in those years knew that importers and wholesalers for most goods were in Aba and Onitsha. I personally knew business activities in Aba and PH very well in those years. You aren't telling me what i knew about Enyimba City, dude?
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by cfours: 9:06pm On Mar 17, 2013
^ yea I agree that the igbo traders should move back to aba and onitsha. let the PH folks travel to igboland for goods. isn't that how major cities form and develop?
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by omonnakoda: 9:07pm On Mar 17, 2013
Nightshift: Those were small traders and start-ups. Anybody who lived in Port Harcourt in those years knew that importers and wholesalers for most goods were in Aba and Onitsha. I personally knew business activities in Aba and PH very well in those years. You aren't telling me what i knew about Enyimba City, dude?
i disagree with you .How did the goods get to Aba in 1975 and from which port on which road
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by omonnakoda: 9:14pm On Mar 17, 2013
c.fours:
^ yea I agree that the igbo traders should move back to aba and onitsha. let the PH folks travel to igboland for goods. isn't that how major cities form and develop?
why do you guys flatter yourselves so much. If you move out of Lagos and go to Aba everyone will come there to shop. You are so conceited. you produce nothing and are just middlemen playing a role ANYONE can play. If you miraculously disappeared en masse Nigeria would not survive it woulve thrive. in many ways you hold the country back with your inferior and counterfeit goods and dishonest trading. This Aba you shout so much about in the 70s was resealing Bournvita tins with sand and selling to the public.In your eyes you are "smart" please do no get me started.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Buhari Begs Patience / Buhari Celebrates Adams Oshiomhole’s 65th Birthday: "Nigeria Needs Your Wisdom" / Gbajabiamila: Nigeria’s Tertiary Institutions Lack Capacity To Solve Problems

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.