Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,455 members, 7,923,672 topics. Date: Saturday, 17 August 2024 at 12:02 PM

Thehomer Please Say - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Thehomer Please Say (4613 Views)

Please, Say Prayer To My Sick Dad / Please Say A Prayer For Ghana / Please Say This Prayer Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thehomer Please Say by Nobody: 8:58am On Jun 08, 2013
Mr anony:
I wasn't asking you to explain so that I can accept it. I was asking that you explain so that I understand it. So my oga no vex, please kindly explain. Educate me

This should help..

https://www.nairaland.com/1091640/last-question-asimov
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Nobody: 9:00am On Jun 08, 2013
Deep Sight:

If time doesnt exist, you dont exist. You have no past and no present.

Stop talking gibberish.

I didnt say that time doesnt exist but it is an argument that can go both ways. So, I am now playing the devils advocate to argue that time doesnt exist. Surely, you must have come accross this topic in philosophy

-Past, present and future have no tangiblity
-do animals percieve time?
-past describes an event that happened previously. The event existed but does the "past" exist in itself?

It is like saying "length" exists. It doesnt, it is a concept used to measure the distance between two points. The space exists, the points exists but length is only a concept- the length has no tangible existence

Time is the measure of the event space (gap) between two or more occurences. The occurences exist but does that gap between the two occurences have a tangible existence?

Time is only a measure
Re: Thehomer Please Say by DeepSight(m): 9:01am On Jun 08, 2013
Mr anony:
I wasn't asking you to explain so that I can accept it. I was asking that you explain so that I understand it. So my oga no vex, please kindly explain. Educate me

Nah, nah, nah, you'll just call me bonkers.

But, if you will, you may start here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetary_engineering

Now, when you read that, please just ask yourself three questions only -

1. Do you think that given sufficient time, humanity will successfully undertake such?

2. If they do, what do you think will be their approach - migration or setting up a zoo, or both?

3. Given the age of the universe, if and when such happens, would you think that its the first time it has occurred?

Daz all I can say o, no more on that on this topic!

1 Like

Re: Thehomer Please Say by Mranony: 9:01am On Jun 08, 2013
musKeeto:

This should help..

https://www.nairaland.com/1091640/last-question-asimov

Thanks but that's fiction. DeepSight made what he believes to be a factual statement. That's what I want him to explain.
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Nobody: 9:02am On Jun 08, 2013
Deep Sight:

Please go and have breakfast and then read the second line afterwards. Read it 40 times.

Then compare it to your statement about time outside the universe not necessarily having a beginning.

We are all talking about time. Time results into a funny paradox if we stretch its foundations.

So all of us will be guilty of some counter-intuitive notions.

I see beyond your reasoning
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Nobody: 9:02am On Jun 08, 2013
Mr anony:
Thanks but that's fiction. DeepSight made what he believes to be a factual statement. That's what I want him to explain.

lmao
Re: Thehomer Please Say by DeepSight(m): 9:08am On Jun 08, 2013
Deep Sight:

Nah, nah, nah, you'll just call me bonkers.

But, if you will, you may start here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetary_engineering

Now, when you read that, please just ask yourself three questions only -

1. Do you think that given sufficient time, humanity will successfully undertake such?

2. If they do, what do you think will be their approach - migration or setting up a zoo, or both?

3. Given the age of the universe, if and when such happens, would you think that its the first time it has occurred?

Daz all I can say o, no more on that on this topic!

I should add to that a last question: factor in the brevity of human recorded history on earth.

Strange, aint it?

DAZ ALL!
Re: Thehomer Please Say by DeepSight(m): 9:11am On Jun 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

We are all talking about time. Time results into a funny paradox if we stretch its foundations.

So all of us will be guilty of some counter-intuitive notions.

I see beyond your reasoning

You are refusing to think.

That is not my problem.
Re: Thehomer Please Say by DeepSight(m): 9:13am On Jun 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

I didnt say that time doesnt exist but it is an argument that can go both ways. So, I am now playing the devils advocate to argue that time doesnt exist. Surely, you must have come accross this topic in philosophy

-Past, present and future have no tangiblity
-do animals percieve time?
-past describes an event that happened previously. The event existed but does the "past" exist in itself?

It is like saying "length" exists. It doesnt, it is a concept used to measure the distance between two points. The space exists, the points exists but length is only a concept- the length has no tangible existence

Time is the measure of the event space (gap) between two or more occurences. The occurences exist but does that gap between the two occurences have a tangible existence?

Time is only a measure

The space between the two points, as per length, exists.

The duration between two events, as per time, also exists.

Please stop making me think for you. This is tiring.

1 Like

Re: Thehomer Please Say by Mranony: 9:22am On Jun 08, 2013
Deep Sight:

Exactly! What he doesn't understand is that a being needs neither events nor spatial points in order to exist.
Re: Thehomer Please Say by DeepSight(m): 9:35am On Jun 08, 2013
Mr anony:
Exactly! What he doesn't understand is that a being needs neither events nor spatial points in order to exist.

Time is a component of God though.

Did you think on the planetary engineering questions I asked.

Particularly the third (and fourth) questions.

Deep Sight:

Deep Sight:

I should add to that a last question: factor in the brevity of human recorded history on earth.

Strange, aint it?

DAZ ALL!
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Nobody: 9:54am On Jun 08, 2013
Deep Sight:

The space between two points exists but the length doesnt exist.

The space between your face and your computer screen is about 11 cm (for instance)

That space comprises of air and particles. Air exists- the space exists

The length of 11 cm doesnt exist.

=========================================

Event A happens before event B.

The time gap between A and B is 5 minutes.

Does 5 minutes exist? A and B as events existed.

5 minutes is only a concept made from the hours that it approximately takes the earth to rotate around the sun.
Should we be on a different planet's rotation (eg mars) would that 5 minutes be a sensible measure?
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Nobody: 9:56am On Jun 08, 2013
@LB:

How do you differentiate between a baby, a teenager and an adult?
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Nobody: 10:01am On Jun 08, 2013
musKeeto: @LB:

Agreed we use time as a concept to differentiate and explain the linear progression between a present and a previous point.

however, I will ask you does 18 years exist? What truly exists is the growing body. The years have no tangible existence.

Just as 75kg doesnt exist but my body mass exists
The same way the 18 years do not exist but an adult's body exists.

Time is a concept, just like lenght
Re: Thehomer Please Say by DeepSight(m): 10:03am On Jun 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

False. Space is not air or particles either. There is no air in most of outer space, and yet there is space there.

5 minutes is only a concept made from the hours that it approximately takes the earth to rotate around the sun.
Should we be on a different planet's rotation (eg mars) would that 5 minutes be a sensible measure?

If the duration does not exist, the events cannot happen in it.

Now listen carefully:

Space is the void into which things are interpolated.

Time is the continuum into which events are interpolated.

Both exist.

Both are self existent; necessary: and could not but exist. They are the intangible reality, the intersection of which forms the core of God.

Both are components of God.

1 Like

Re: Thehomer Please Say by MrTroll(m): 10:05am On Jun 08, 2013
musKeeto: @LB:

*raising right middle finger* sir sir! I know the answer! Pls let me answer it!!!

TIME!!! cool
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Nobody: 10:05am On Jun 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

Agreed we use time as a concept to differentiate and explain the linear progression between a present and a previous point.

however, I will ask you does 18 years exist? What truly exists is the growing body. The years have no tangible existence.

Just as 75kg doesnt exist but my body mass exists
The same way the 18 years do not exist but an adult's body exists.

Time is a concept, just like lenght

Please, in your own words, define existence?
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Nobody: 10:06am On Jun 08, 2013
Logicboy03:
So if I get you right, you have no age, you just have the body of a man.. angry grin
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Nobody: 10:12am On Jun 08, 2013
Another problem with time; past present and future;

Failure of past and present;
- do we really live in the present? No. There is no different between the past and immediate present.
-Everything you do presently is an update at a millisecond. The present doesnt exist. An update is the latest version of a recorded event.
-Assume that you are typing something- every word you type is in the past as soon as you type the word;, it is a past action. Before you can describe your present action, it is already recorded by you as a past event.

Failure of the future;
-the future doesnt exist. There is no certainty. You can say that you will be alive in the next second but an asteroid could scatter the whole earth in the next second.
-the future doesnt exist just as tommorrow never comes. The moment you enter the future you are in the present which is actually then a recorded past event.

eg- I am going to school tommorow Sunday. When sunday comes, I cant say that I am in the future because I will have to say that I am presently in school. But even that present tense is false- I would have to have arrived in school to claim that I am present in school....the past but acually described as the present
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Nobody: 10:13am On Jun 08, 2013
musKeeto:

Please, in your own words, define existence?

E no get physical attributes, e no exist
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Mranony: 10:14am On Jun 08, 2013
Deep Sight:

Time is a component of God though.

Did you think on the planetary engineering questions I asked.

Particularly the third (and fourth) questions.
I've read it. Now let me answer you. Here's the short answer

Yes

Both

No.

Now that's all well and good but none of them lead us to a statement of fact such as this:
Anyway, this world was created by men elsewhere, but of course you may not know this.

Now for the Long answer.

I don't know if you are familiar with the philosopher called Nick Bostrom but he has proposed an argument called the simulation hpothesis. He has argued something like this:

1. Given enough time and with improvements in computer technology, humans will be able to simulate total virtual universes with characters just like us programmed such that they have freewill and make their own decisions.

2. Of course there will be no way for our virtual characters to know that their world is indeed a simulation.

3. As our computer devices become better and more efficient, more people will be able to afford computers with enough computing power to create virtual universes

4. The virtual people can also develop in technology such that they too can create other virtual worlds.

5. If the above are possible, then there would be more simulated worlds than there are actual worlds.

6. The question now becomes: How do we know that the world we live in is the actual world and not one of the many simulations?

Now the above is a good line of thinking to play with but it still doesn't lead us to a factual statement like "This world was created by men elsewhere".

Get my drift?

2 Likes

Re: Thehomer Please Say by Nobody: 10:15am On Jun 08, 2013
Logicboy03: Another problem with time; past present and future;

- do we really live in the present? No. There is no different between the past and immediate present.
-Everything you do presently is an update at a millisecond. The present doesnt exist. An update is the latest version of a recorded event.
-Assume that you are typing something- every word you type is in the past as soon as you type the word;, it is a past action. Before you can describe your present action, it is already recorded by you as a past event.

Failure of the future;
-the future doesnt exist. There is no certainty. You can say that you will be alive in the next second but an asteroid could scatter the whole earth in the next second.
-the future doesnt exist just as tommorrow never comes. The moment you enter the future you are in the present which is actually then a recorded past event.

eg- I am going to school tommorow Sunday. When sunday comes, I cant say that I am in the future because I will have to say that I am presently in school. But even that present tense is false- I would have to have arrived in school to claim that I am present in school....the past but acually described as the present

No wonder you think infinite regress is more plausible... oh boy no choke your brain engine..
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Nobody: 10:15am On Jun 08, 2013
Mr anony:

Yes

Both

No.

Now that's all well and good but none of them lead us to a statement of fact such as this:

Now for the Long answer.

I don't know if you are familiar with the philosopher called Nick Bostrom but he has proposed an argument called the simulation hpothesis. He has argued something like this:

1. Given enough time and with improvements in computer technology, humans will be able to simulate total virtual universes with characters just like us programmed such that they have freewill and make their own decisions.

2. Of course there will be no way for our virtual characters to know that their world is indeed a simulation.

3. As our computer devices become better and more efficient, more people will be able to afford computers with enough computing power to create virtual universes

4. The virtual people can also develop in technology such that they too can create other virtual worlds.

5. If the above are possible, then there would be more simulated worlds than there are actual worlds.

6. The question now becomes: How do we know that the world we live in is the actual world and not one of the many simulations?

Now the above is a good line of thinking to play with but it still doesn't lead us to a factual statement like "This world was created by men elsewhere".

Get my drift?

This comment just blew my mind away.

Philosophy carries you into some deep areas mannn... wink
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Nobody: 10:16am On Jun 08, 2013
musKeeto:

No wonder you think infinite regress is more plausible... oh boy no choke your brain engine..

Dont lie, I blew your mind wink
Re: Thehomer Please Say by DeepSight(m): 10:17am On Jun 08, 2013

Failure of the future;

As such you do not exist: you are a mirage.

Let me tell you a secret. The future exists. It is a place in time you as a conscious entity are yet to walk into. You are existing towards and tending towards it. It is a magnet and will draw you into it. There are people who can see it. They can tell you what rests in it. And because of the power of the magnet of the future, which is a component of God, you cannot avoid the future, and what rests in it, and what you have placed in it as you draw unto it.

You can, however, affect its composition as you go along, with your own magnetic actions.

Ol boy, this one na expo. I dont care to argue it. Just keep it in your left pocket and remember it.

I no fit shout.
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Mranony: 10:17am On Jun 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

The space between two points exists but the length doesnt exist.

The space between your face and your computer screen is about 11 cm (for instance)

The length of 11 cm doesnt exist.

This is just terrible thinking. Very poor thinking indeed.
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Nobody: 10:20am On Jun 08, 2013
Deep Sight:

As such you do not exist: you are a mirage.

Let me tell you a secret. The future exists. It is a place in time you as a conscious entity are yet to walk into. You are existing towards and tending towards it. It is a magnet and will draw you into it. There are people who can see it. They can tell you what rests in it. And because of the power of the magnet of the future, which is a component of God, you cannot avoid the future, and what rests in it, and what you have placed in it as you draw unto it.

You can, however, affect its composition as you go along, with your own magnetic actions.

Ol boy, this one na expo. I dont care to argue it. Just keep it in your left pocket and remember it.

I no fit shout.

Guy, my brain is overheating.....I give up.....

grin
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Nobody: 10:20am On Jun 08, 2013
Mr anony:
This is just terrible thinking. Very poor thinking indeed.

Wow....a very mature rebuttal

mtchew
Re: Thehomer Please Say by DeepSight(m): 10:21am On Jun 08, 2013
Mr anony:

Yes

Both

No.

Now for the Long answer.

Get my drift?

Its wrong because no virtual creation will ever have independent thought or freewill or self consciousness.

No robot either.

That's like suggesting that you can have a self conscious software or car. The engineered matter can and will only respond as per what is programmed into it and not have independent free thought of its own.

Thus Nick Bostrom was just being an idle and shallow fantasist.
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Nobody: 10:22am On Jun 08, 2013
Deep Sight:

Its wrong because no virtual creation will ever have independent thought or freewill or self consciousness.

No robot either.

Thus Nick Bostrom was just being an idle and shallow fantasist.

Articifial intelligence bro......

Could exist smiley
Re: Thehomer Please Say by DeepSight(m): 10:23am On Jun 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

Articifial intelligence bro......

Could exist smiley

Artificial intelligence is not self consciousness as a being.
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Mranony: 10:23am On Jun 08, 2013

Failure of the future;

Interesting. Let me see if I can help you. What do you think is meant when it is said that something exists? What do you think "existence" means?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigeria's Songs Lyrics / Never Wear Cloth That Contain These 10 Images For Heaven Sake / The Tricks Of Pastor Oyakhilome

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.