Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,896 members, 7,876,409 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 04:33 PM

Thehomer Please Say - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Thehomer Please Say (4594 Views)

Please, Say Prayer To My Sick Dad / Please Say A Prayer For Ghana / Please Say This Prayer Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thehomer Please Say by Nobody: 10:25am On Jun 08, 2013
Mr anony:
Interesting. Let me see if I can help you. What do you think is meant when it is said that something exists? What do you think "existence" means?

Materialist here;

No physicality, no existence!
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Mranony: 10:25am On Jun 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

This comment just blew my mind away.

Philosophy carries you into some deep areas mannn... wink
This was the discussion we could have had on your matrix thread but as usual you were more interested in mocking religions so I left you to enjoy your pastime.
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Nobody: 10:27am On Jun 08, 2013
Mr anony:
This was the discussion we could have had on your matrix thread but as usual you were more interested in mocking religions so I left you to enjoy your pastime.

Is it really wrong to mock religion?

However, it was not a mockery of religion, rather a good criticism of a belief in God. Say no to Anonyism
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Mranony: 10:30am On Jun 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

Materialist here;

Oh I see, that's why you were arguing that space and time do not actually exist. How can you argue that the physicality is the only existence when physicality relies on space and time in order to exist? You are denying the very thing that holds up your worldview.

Kinda like a man hanging off a branch for dear life and yet cutting the branch he is hanging from.
Re: Thehomer Please Say by DeepSight(m): 10:35am On Jun 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

Is it really wrong to mock religion?

However, it was not a mockery of religion, rather a good criticism of a belief in God. Say no to Anonyism

If you ever have the time or interest (you will have neither) to go through my old posts, you will see that I have been a HUGE mocker of religion, particularly christianity, in the past.

I have realized two things however -

1. It is very thoughtless and futile

2. The religions in fact contain fundamental and sacred truths about the nature of this strange reality in which we find ourselves, but have dumbed them down to a form acceptable to mankind for the purposes of sanity.

There is a lot to think on there. Man has tried to contextualize his existence for eons. Religion represents the coagulation of that effort through the ages. It is not right in every detail, but it contains certain core and fundamental recognitions.

Start with the Garden of Eden.

Read it with a philosopher's or thinkers eye. You will be shocked at the profound things you will see in there.

These things exceed the mind. And are therefore troubling. And that's exactly why they were dumbed down into the religious form. Pretty much like telling a child his departed parent has gone to heaven. A small sweet story that the child can swallow. Not necessarily spiritually false.

Think carefully bro.
Re: Thehomer Please Say by MrTroll(m): 10:37am On Jun 08, 2013
Deep Sight:
. . .
Let me tell you a secret. The future exists. It is a place in time you as a conscious entity are yet to walk into. You are existing towards and tending towards it. It is a magnet and will draw you into it. There are people who can see it. They can tell you what rests in it. And because of the power of the magnet of the future, which is a component of God, you cannot avoid the future, and what rests in it, and what you have placed in it as you draw unto it.

You can, however, affect its composition as you go along, with your own magnetic actions.

Ol boy, this one na expo. I dont care to argue it. Just keep it in your left pocket and remember it.

I no fit shout.
hear hear!!! The wise one has spoken and it is the law! cool
Re: Thehomer Please Say by DeepSight(m): 10:39am On Jun 08, 2013
Mr Troll: hear hear!!! The wise one has spoken and it is the law! cool

Lolz. If you like, collect. If you like, leave am. U go surprise say na stray dogs go find am, lick am.
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Mranony: 10:43am On Jun 08, 2013
Deep Sight:

Its wrong because no virtual creation will ever have independent thought or freewill or self consciousness.

No robot either.

That's like suggesting that you can have a self conscious software or car. The engineered matter can and will only respond as per what is programmed into it and not have independent free thought of its own.

Thus Nick Bostrom was just being an idle and shallow fantasist.
Well, I don't quite agree with Nick either but the point is that you can't jump from fantasy like "the world could have been created by other men" straight into factual statements like "the world was created by other men". That my dear needs a little bit more explanation and evidence.
Re: Thehomer Please Say by MrTroll(m): 10:48am On Jun 08, 2013
Mr anony:
Well, I don't quite agree with Nick either but the point is that you can't jump from fantasy like "the world could have been created by other men" straight into factual statements like "the world was created by other men". That my dear needs a little bit more explanation and evidence.
Deep Sight:
Ol boy, this one na expo. I dont care to argue it. Just keep it in your left pocket and remember it.

I no fit shout.
Re: Thehomer Please Say by UyiIredia(m): 10:50am On Jun 08, 2013
This topic is coming along nicely. DeepSight, I suggest you consider the fact that time has no objective existence outside the humans who define the concept. What does exist are the physical objects used to measure it. Keep in mind that the duration you mentioned refers to time.
Re: Thehomer Please Say by DeepSight(m): 10:51am On Jun 08, 2013
Uyi Iredia: This topic is coming along nicely. DeepSight, I suggest you consider the fact that time has no objective existence outside the humans who define the concept. What does exist are the physical objects used to measure it. Keep in mind that the duration you mentioned refers to time.

That would mean that you could not have come to exist.

1 Like

Re: Thehomer Please Say by DeepSight(m): 10:53am On Jun 08, 2013
Mr anony:

I doubt you have averted your mind to, and dwelt upon the implications of the brevity of recorded human history.
Re: Thehomer Please Say by mkmyers45(m): 10:59am On Jun 08, 2013
Deep Sight:

Its wrong because no virtual creation will ever have independent thought or freewill or self consciousness.

No robot either.

That's like suggesting that you can have a self conscious software or car. The engineered matter can and will only respond as per what is programmed into it and not have independent free thought of its own.

Thus Nick Bostrom was just being an idle and shallow fantasist.
Through free and near unlimited interaction..An AI can develop its own ideas no?
Re: Thehomer Please Say by UyiIredia(m): 11:00am On Jun 08, 2013
Logicboy03: The thing about the past is that you can keep going back to a time before any specific time.

The time (spacetime) of our universe might have a beginning but that doesnt mean that time outside our universe has a beginning.

Saying time has a beginning is tautological. The very concept of time involves beginning and ending. DeepSight has put paid to this notion in the topic 'Free Thinking'. Look it up.
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Nobody: 11:02am On Jun 08, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Saying time has a beginning is tautological. The very concept of time involves beginning and ending. DeepSight has put paid to this notion in the topic 'Free Thinking'. Look it up.

Spacetime of our universe has a beginning. Time is a multi-dimensional concept.
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Nobody: 11:02am On Jun 08, 2013
Uyi Iredia: This topic is coming along nicely. DeepSight, I suggest you consider the fact that time has no objective existence outside the humans who define the concept. What does exist are the physical objects used to measure it. Keep in mind that the duration you mentioned refers to time.

Calendars,maybe, definitely not time...

2 Likes

Re: Thehomer Please Say by Mranony: 11:04am On Jun 08, 2013
mkmyers45: Through free and near unlimited interaction..An AI can develop its own ideas no?
How exactly?
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Mranony: 11:05am On Jun 08, 2013
Deep Sight:
I doubt you have averted your mind to, and dwelt upon the implications of the brevity of recorded human history.
Trust me I have actually but it still doesn't let us make that jump
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Nobody: 11:05am On Jun 08, 2013
musKeeto:

Calendars,maybe, definitely not time...

lol....and where do days, hours and minutes come from if not the calendar calculations of the movement of the earth by man?
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Mranony: 11:08am On Jun 08, 2013
Logicboy03:
lol....and where do days, hours and minutes come from if not the calendar calculations of the movement of the earth by man?
C'mon logicboy this is just too poor even for you. The point is that as long as two separate events exist, time exists. Muskeeto meant calendars in a very different sense than you are misrepresenting him to have made.
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Nobody: 11:12am On Jun 08, 2013
Mr anony:
C'mon logicboy this is just too poor even for you. The point is that as long as two separate events exist, time exists. Muskeeto meant calendars in a very different sense than you are misrepresenting him to have made.

You should be proud....I was anonynizing
Re: Thehomer Please Say by mkmyers45(m): 11:15am On Jun 08, 2013
Mr anony:
How exactly?
Human motor skills are developed from the ability to constantly interact with his immediate..Now the number through which this interactions go on is near unlimited. Although hard to concieve, its plausible that a bieng with this ability will develop these skills, learn from these experience and make decisions based on these.
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Nobody: 11:17am On Jun 08, 2013
Mr anony:

Or better.. TIME HAS TO EXIST, for two separate events to exist...
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Mranony: 11:19am On Jun 08, 2013
mkmyers45: Human motor skills are developed from the ability to constantly interact with his immediate..Now the number through which this interactions go on is near unlimited. Although hard to concieve, its plausible that a bieng with this ability will develop these skills, learn from these experience and make decisions based on these.
Yes this is possible in the same way that your computer can be programmed to learn your preferences but this is very different from a machine being conscious that of what it is doing and willing itself to act.

The presence of a will as well as a subjective mental reality is one of the things that distinguishes mind from machine
Re: Thehomer Please Say by DeepSight(m): 11:19am On Jun 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

Days, hours and minutes are not time, but earthly measurements of time.

In the same way as 8 inches is a measurement of space, and not space.
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Mranony: 11:22am On Jun 08, 2013
Logicboy03: You should be proud....I was anonynizing
No what you did there was nonsense
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Mranony: 11:22am On Jun 08, 2013
musKeeto: Or better.. TIME HAS TO EXIST, for two separate events to exist...
Exactly!
Re: Thehomer Please Say by DeepSight(m): 12:15pm On Jun 08, 2013
musKeeto:

Or better.. TIME HAS TO EXIST, for two separate events to exist...

Bingo!

Just correct!
Re: Thehomer Please Say by wiegraf: 12:20pm On Jun 08, 2013
Assumptions galore. How in fairytale land does time exist in true nothing?
Re: Thehomer Please Say by UyiIredia(m): 12:23pm On Jun 08, 2013
Deep Sight:

That would mean that you could not have come to exist.

I would because the physical beings required existed. If there was no concept of time, I would still have been born as long as such being existed. I think you are making a typical mistake of treating a concept as if it were an actual physical object.
Re: Thehomer Please Say by Mranony: 12:31pm On Jun 08, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

I would because the physical beings required existed. If there was no concept of time, I would still have been born as long as such being existed. I think you are making a typical mistake of treating a concept as if it were an actual physical object.
i think you are misunderstanding what time is
Re: Thehomer Please Say by UyiIredia(m): 12:33pm On Jun 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

Materialist here;

I will hold you to it. Has physical matter, by itself, been proven to make specified complexity as seen in life and computers ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Atheists, What Will It Feel Like If Heaven And Hell Actually Exists? / God Showed Me The Sorry State Of Michael Jackson By Fasterwell / God Is Wicked- We Are Nothing But Spectacle In The Eyes Of The Lord

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.