Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,956 members, 7,883,341 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 09:22 AM

Sani Abacha - 15 Years After - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sani Abacha - 15 Years After (13162 Views)

Gumsu Sani-Abacha Visits Aisha Buhari In Aso Rock, Gets A Peck From Zahra (Pics) / Checkout Sani Abacha's Signature (snapshot) / How Sani Abacha Died…AL Mustapha. NOT BY APPLE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by otijah(m): 9:57am On Jun 08, 2013
Kewt: Sadly, 15 after, and 14 years of unfettered democratic rule, not much has changed.

Below is the speech he read to Nigerians on the eve of his hostile take over of government from Chief Ernest Shonekan:

Fellow Nigerians, sequel to the resignation of the former Head of the Interim National Government and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, Chief Ernest Shonekan and my subsequent appointment as Head of State and Commander-in-Chief, I have had extensive consultations within the armed forces hierarchy and other well meaning Nigerians in a bid to find solutions to the various political, economic and social problems which have engulfed our beloved country, and which have made life most difficult to the ordinary citizen of this nation.

Chief Ernest Shonekan took over as Head of State and Commander-in-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces at a most trying time in the history of the country. Politically, economically, and socially, there were lots of uncertainties. Things
appeared bleak and the atmosphere was heavy with uncertainties. However, driven by a belief in himself, his countrymen,
and love for his country, he accepted to face the challenges of our time. I will, therefore, like to take this opportunity to pay tribute to him for his selfless service to the nation. He showed great courage at taking on the daunting task of heading the Interim National Government and even greater courage to know when to leave. Many have expressed fears about the apparent return of the military.

Many have talked about the concern of the international community. However, under the present circumstances the survival of our beloved country is far above any other consideration. Nigeria is the only country we have. We must, therefore, solve our problems ourselves. We must lay a very solid foundation for the growth of democracy. We should avoid any ad hoc or temporary solutions. The problems must be addressed firmly, objectively, decisively and with all sincerity of purpose. Consequently, the following decisions come into immediate effect:

The Interim National Government is hereby dissolved.
The National and State Assemblies
are also dissolved.
The State Executive Councils are
dissolved.

The Brigade Commanders are to take over from the Governors in their States until Administrators are appointed. Where there are no Brigade Commanders, the Commissioners of Police in the State are to take over.
All Local Governments stand dissolved. The Directors of Personnel are to take over the administration of the Local
Governments until Administrators are appointed.

All former Secretaries to Federal Ministries are to hand over to their
Directors-General until Ministers are appointed.

The two political parties are hereby dissolved.
All processions, political meetings and associations of any type in any part of the country are hereby banned.
Any consultative committee by whatever name called is hereby proscribed.
Decree 61 of 1993 is hereby abrogated.

A Provisional Ruling Council (PRC), is hereby established. It will comprise:

The Head of State, Commander-in-
Chief of the Armed Forces of the federal Republic of Nigeria as Chairman.
The Chief of General Staff as Vice-Chairman
The Honourable Minister of Defence
The Chief of Defence Staff
The Service Chiefs
The Inspector General of Police
The Attorney General and Minister
of Justice
The Internal Affairs Minister
The Foreign Affairs Minister

Also, a Federal Executive Council will be put in place.

Our security system will be enhanced to ensure that lives of citizens, property of individuals are protected and preserved. Drug trafficking and other economic crimes such as 419 must be tackled and eliminated. On the current
strike throughout the nation following the increase in the price of fuel, I appeal to all the trade unions to return to work immediately. We cannot afford further dislocation and destruction of our economy. On the closed
media houses, government is hereby lifting the order of proscription with immediate effect.

We, however, appeal to the media houses that in this spirit of national reconciliation, we should show more restraint and build a united and peaceful Nigeria.

Fellow Nigerians, the events of the past months, starting from the annulment of the June 12
presidential election, culminating in the appointment of the former Head of State, Chief Ernest Shonekan, who unfortunately resigned yesterday, are well known to you.

The economic downturn has undoubtedly been aggravated by the ongoing political crisis. We require well thought-out and
permanent solutions to these problems if we are to emerge stronger for them. Consequently, a constitutional conference with full constituent powers will be established soon to determine the future constitutional structure of
Nigeria. The constitutional conference will also recommend the method of forming parties,
which will lead to the ultimate recognition of political parties formed by the people. While the conference is on, the re-organisation and reform of the following major institutions will be carried out:

The Military
The Police
The Customs
The Judiciary
NITEL
NNPC
NEPA
The Banking Industry
Higher Educational Institutions

This regime will be firm, humane, and decisive. We will not condone nor tolerate any act of indiscipline.
Any attempt to test our will be decisively dealt with.

For the International Community, we ask that you suspend judgment while we grapple with the onerous task
of nation building, reconciliation and repairs. This government is a child of necessity with a strong determination to restore peace and stability to our country and on these foundations, enthrone a lasting and true democracy. Give
us the chance to solve our problems in our own ways.

Long Live the Federal Republic of Nigeria

General Sani Abacha
GCFR
President Federal Republic Of Nigeria
wetin b all dis one naa, not even a summary. You must be a secretary

1 Like

Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by NeuroBoss(m): 9:59am On Jun 08, 2013
hurricaneChris: Can't believe Nigeria missed the nations cup (1996) because of this bas:tard.

RIP Saro Wiwa!

Los Nigerianos son feliz que está muerto!
Feliz de ser que eres arquitecto y que hablas espanol. Como has podido apprenderlo? Vives en espana?
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by Techwriter: 10:00am On Jun 08, 2013
Those who taught they'd never die
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by delords2: 10:00am On Jun 08, 2013
Thank God we now have the freedom of expression with which we can openly blast GEJ which was only a dream in the gloom during the reign of this Tyrannical Beast called Abacha. The systemic decay we all suffer today dates back from their time. He may rest or not I don't care.
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by Gamji007: 10:06am On Jun 08, 2013
hurricaneChris: Can't believe Nigeria missed the nations cup (1996) because of this bas:tard.

RIP Saro Wiwa!

Los Nigerianos son feliz que está muerto!

The guy gave you u17 world cup,nations cup,olympics. Wetin people with small brains like you want again?

3 Likes

Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by yuzedo: 10:07am On Jun 08, 2013
mmmustapha: how old r u kid?
lmao! As innn!
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by LagosBoi2(m): 10:07am On Jun 08, 2013
mmmustapha: how old r u kid?

he is 20yrs, He was born 1998..abi i no get am?

1 Like

Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by Nonybb: 10:07am On Jun 08, 2013
Had he been alive till today he would have legalize boko haram and conduct many successful pogrom. Hausa retardeens
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by yuzedo: 10:08am On Jun 08, 2013
Gamji007:

The guy gave you u17 world cup,nations cup,olympics. Wetin people with small brains like you want again?
Preach! cool
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by Nobody: 10:11am On Jun 08, 2013
Lagos_Boi:

*smh*
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by ATMCARD2(m): 10:11am On Jun 08, 2013
Maxymilliano: General Sani Abacha (20 September 1943 – 8 June 1998) was a Nigerian military dictator and politician. He was the de facto President of Nigeria from 1993 to 1998.

His regime was tied to human rights violations and allegations of corruption.

Military Career

Abacha was commissionedin 1963, after he had attended the Mons Defence Officers cadet Training College in
Aldershot, England. Before then, he had attended the Nigerian Military Training College in Kaduna. He took part in the countercoup of July 1967, from the conceptual stage, and may have been a participant in the Lagos or Abeokuta phases of the January 1966 coup. He was also a prominent figure in three coup d'etats of later decades, the first two of which brought and removed General Muhammadu Buhari from power in 1983.

When General Ibrahim Babangida was named President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic ofNigeriain 1985, Abacha was named Chief of Army Staff. He was later appointedMinister of Defence in 1990.

Abacha took over power from the interim government of Chief Ernest Shonekan, who was put into place by General Ibrahim Babangida after his annulment of the 12 June 1993 elections (won by Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola), this caused a massive popular uproar, which in turn caused untold hardship for some of Nigerians.

Today June 8th marks the 15th Anniversary of the death of the maximum ruler Gen Sani Abacha.

So house do you remember how you felt that day and can you say the Nigeria economy would have fared better had he succeded in translating to a civilian President?

.I rememberd hm as a Womanizer.
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by Olaone1: 10:14am On Jun 08, 2013
undecided
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by Nobody: 10:14am On Jun 08, 2013
He ruled my beloveth country like one toy he bought with his money. He was mean. He was crude.

No freedom of speech.!!
No fundamental human rite.!!
Wat can be worst than dat??

As for me..., he is a BEAST.

And, life showed him no matter hw smart you are....., there must be one person that will surely beat you to your game.

#you can neva know it all#
#you can neva have it all#
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by hollandis(f): 10:15am On Jun 08, 2013
Please where is his grave.I want to take his skull and piss on it and curse him so that he will forever rot in hell angry
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by Memphis357(m): 10:17am On Jun 08, 2013
If only he had killed Obasanjo when he had the chance,we wouldn't have experienced all the happenings that are going on now in this sick country!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by Anistef: 10:20am On Jun 08, 2013
So far I culd remember I ws in secondary school nd everyone was quiet nd scared to talk since it wsnt clear dat evening of his death, I ws in abj then. D nxt day after d announcement dia ws a great rejoicing, since I didt knw much abt politics then I guess pple were nt hapi wit his regime. Growing up I realized he ws a dictator.
U cnt compare GEj wit Abacha, its lik comparing two different ting,if uve to compare Abacha it shld b wit IBB/Buhari/Obj since al of dem where in d military.
Not comparing a civilian govt wit a military regime.(not dat I lik both of dem self Abacha nd GEJ)
At dis point in our country we dnt nid sentiment, bt one ness to move dis country forward. A lot of d northerns ll tel u Abacha ws a great man out of sentiment nd also d south-south ll do same for GEJ. We dnt nid al dat
I Cry for my country Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by Gamji007: 10:21am On Jun 08, 2013
hollandis: Please where is his grave.I want to take his skull and piss on it and curse him so that he will forever rot in hell angry

My dear, are you alryt?

1 Like

Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by Nobody: 10:21am On Jun 08, 2013
There was proliferation of wealth during the military regime, now the wealth flows in a circle, if you don't have connection, you're done for... Civilian govt is a bi#ch
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by habumaks(m): 10:28am On Jun 08, 2013
The number of people killed during Abacha regime both uniform men and civilians cannot be compared to the deaths we are recording in the socalled democratic regime. So what are we saying?
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by wilfred84(m): 10:54am On Jun 08, 2013
He should, be remembered.
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by IamChiboi(m): 10:55am On Jun 08, 2013
I remember my neighbours celebrating the fact that he had died, I was too young to comprehend then. IMO let the millitary come back. These politicians are jokers.

1 Like

Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by onila(f): 10:57am On Jun 08, 2013
the greatest and best Nigerian leader we ever had

1 Like

Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by tjadeba(m): 10:57am On Jun 08, 2013
Vancouverplus:

So Nation's Cup is your own problem cry

Yes na...may he continue to rot/roast in the hottest part of hell fire
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by Olaone1: 10:58am On Jun 08, 2013
onila: the greatest and best Nigerian leader we ever had

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by onyeguy: 10:58am On Jun 08, 2013
How many people the man killed
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by makinde3: 10:59am On Jun 08, 2013
His problem was power of which is still the major problem of all leaders in the world. Power is sweeter than sex.
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by Nobody: 11:02am On Jun 08, 2013
Some Nigerians are always progressing in the reverse (their yesterday is always better than today). They abuse the current president today but will surely praise him tomorrow.
These Nigerians are always overwhelmed with emotions and sentiments such that they cannot analyse issues on their merit.

15yrs after the demise of a despot, who majority Nigerians celebrated his death, some mischief makers want us to believe they miss his regime. Abacha ruled for about 5yrs, so those who miss him should explain the following to Nigerians:

1 How many power plants was built within the period?

2 What was done within the period to ensure power stability for the period and the FUTURE?

3 Who looted the billions of dollars being repatriated from Swiss and other foreign accounts within the period?

4 How many new kilometer of roads was added to the existing roads within the period?

5 How were state governors and other political appointees picked within the period? Did the people have any say?

6 Who was responsible for the politically motivated assassinations within the period?

7 Could Nigerians freely express themselves within the period? Could NL have survived if Abacha was still in charge?

8 Were the narrow guage rail lines functional within the period?

9 Was any bullet train rail line built or started within the period?

10 What were the poverty and unemployment rate then

11 What was the level of infrastructural development of the 36 state capitals and major cities then?

Those who miss Abacha should tell us more

8 Likes

Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by AbuMikey(m): 11:04am On Jun 08, 2013
I was too young to know how he ruled!!

1 Like

Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by addicted268(f): 11:08am On Jun 08, 2013
Abacha reminds me of Luke 12:16-21.The parable of the rich man.
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by mmmustapha(m): 11:08am On Jun 08, 2013
Lagos_Boi:

grin
Lagos_Boi:

then he dnt knw abacha
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by tjadeba(m): 11:11am On Jun 08, 2013
Gamji007:

My dear, are you alryt?

She is perfectly alright.Abacha was one helluva man,indiscriminately wicked dictator.He was living large,at the detriment of the masses.A senior lecturer's take home pay was 7k at that time.Minimum wage was N800 and it took the next regime of Abdulsalam Abubakar to jerk it to N5000.what a big leap and relief for the suffering masses. There was no money and freedom of speech.Imagine,people were even afraid to discuss government affairs with their immediate family...meeehn,it was as bad
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by ProfessorPeter(m): 11:14am On Jun 08, 2013
sheyie2007: Making my father rich!
my father died before him. U a Lucky.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Okorocha's Kwara Supporters Defect To APC / Fashola Denies Presidential Ambition / Man Shares His Experience With Soldiers During Distribution Of Blankets To IDPs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.