Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,956 members, 7,883,342 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 09:23 AM

Sani Abacha - 15 Years After - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sani Abacha - 15 Years After (13162 Views)

Gumsu Sani-Abacha Visits Aisha Buhari In Aso Rock, Gets A Peck From Zahra (Pics) / Checkout Sani Abacha's Signature (snapshot) / How Sani Abacha Died…AL Mustapha. NOT BY APPLE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jun 08, 2013
GenBuhari: I have said it many times that the money repatriated, was not linked to Abacha and it was a scam purely for the purpose of duping the Nigerian public.

You've simply been telling the same lie over and over, in bold fonts, hoping it would stick grin

From the article you referred me to, which I have seen and read in the past:

Settlement negotiations took place in July and August 1999, and the Federal Government of Nigeria, unaware that it could identify, freeze and recover assets other than those that had been disclosed by Mohammed Abacha and Abubakar Bagudu in the context of the London High Court proceedings, agreed to settle its claims for DEM 300 million.

You might fool the gullible but you ain't fooling me.

On 22 March 2000, the first money laundering suspect, an Indian businessman involved in the Ajaokuta fraudulent debt buy-back, was indicted of forgery. This moment was a turning point: under the Geneva rules of criminal procedure, the parties gain access to the file and are entitled to levy copy thereof, only once the first indictment has taken place.

The access to the file enabled the attorneys representing Nigeria to proceed with the forensic analysis of the documents that were sent by the requested banks on an almost daily basis to the Examining Magistrate, to request further freezing orders in Switzerland and to use those documents in support of requests for mutual assistance in other jurisdictions.14 In this respect it is noteworthy that Mohammed Abacha and Abubakar Bagudu attempted to limit Nigeria’s access and use of the document from the domestic criminal proceedings, alleging that its access to the criminal investigation was circumventing provisions of the Federal Law on Mutual Assistance in Penal Matters.

On 7 December 2001, the Federal Tribunal, Switzerland’s Supreme Court, ruled that, as any victim of a crime, Nigeria was entitled to have access to the file of the Geneva criminal investigation and to use those documents in furtherance of its claims, notably in support of civil proceedings, requests for mutual assistance and criminal complaints, provided that the Federal Republic of Nigeria formally under took not to use those documents, directly or indirectly, in criminal, civil or administrative proceedings in Nigeria until the end of the mutual assistance proceedings.
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by RedReact: 12:29am On Jun 09, 2013
^^^
You dey mind am?
Maybe he thinks some.of us were born yesterday not to know how things went in his tenure or Nigerians put bra for face dey call am goggle.
Oshisco!!!
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by Nobody: 12:58am On Jun 09, 2013
How am I telling a lie? Did I write the Swiss court documents for them?

The extract from the Abacha case is the relevant part which proves that the Swiss repatriated funds without requesting Obasanjo to prove that the funds had anything to do with Abacha.

Swiss court document on so-called "Abacha Loot" case, shows Abacha was maliciously and unjustly blamed of looting

http://www.mcswisslaw.com/pages_e/2008%20Monfrini%20-%20The%20Abacha%20Case.pdf

" The existence of a system of confiscation orders that is independent from a criminal conviction is therefore a necessity in grand corruption cases. In this context, reversing the burden of proof or imposing procedural consequences on the failure of the asset holder to cooperate regarding the origin of the assets, appear to be best legislative practice. The presumption of innocence does not necessarily apply to confiscation proceedings and ‘presumptions of fact or of law operate in every criminal-law system and are not prohibited in principle’ and therefore do not breach the right to a fair trial.28 "

This is 21 page Swiss court document but the above extract is very revealing indeed.

Basically, by qualifying Abacha's family members together with PDP stooges claiming to be Abacha's business associates as a 'Criminal Organisation', Nigerian Government did not need to prove that the funds in the foreign accounts belonged to Abacha, The Onus was on Abacha to proof that he was innocent of the charges.

Of course a deceased man could not do that.

eGuerrilla:

You've simply been telling the same lie over and over, in bold fonts, hoping it would stick grin

From the article you referred me to, which I have seen and read in the past:

You might fool the gullible but you ain't fooling me.

Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by manfred10(m): 1:24am On Jun 09, 2013
habumaks: The number of people killed during Abacha regime both uniform men and civilians cannot be compared to the deaths we are recording in the socalled democratic regime. So what are we saying?

You know nothing,go and sleep
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by Nobody: 1:32am On Jun 09, 2013
He is correct.

List the numbers of political assassinations during Abacha and compare them with numbers of assassinations since Abacha died. You would find that in this regard Abacha was a saint.
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by balaclava: 2:58am On Jun 09, 2013
I GAT MY RAYBAN ABACHA... IGO LOJU OMO ODARAN. BADDEST PRESIDENT EVER LIVETH. RESPEEEECT!

Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by Ike77503(m): 3:31am On Jun 09, 2013
I swear this man was a smooth operator that silence (kill) his critics without a trace...in Abacha's voice in HELL " Nigeria is hereby dissolved " furthermore, " I too, i'm hereby dissolved " ohh wait ! chairman, you've been dissolved 15 years ago..I dey laugh

[b]Hamza al-Mustapha was appointed Chief Security Officer to the Head of State (CSOHS) with a Special Strike Force Unit during Abacha's military regime (17 November 1993 – 8 June 1998). Other security outfits at the time were the Office of the National Security Adviser under Ismaila Gwarzo, the Directorate of Military Intelligence, the State Security Service and the National Intelligence Agency. All of these units engaged in extrajudicial killings of people seen as threats to the regime.[2] Both Ibrahim Babangida and Sani Abacha gave Captain (later Major) Hamza al-Mustapha exceptional power, considerably greater than other officers who were nominally his superior.[3]

After being appointed Chief Security Officer, Al-Mustapha established a number of small security outfits recruited from the military and other security organizations, and trained in Israel and Korea.[1] Abacha's National Security Adviser Ismaila Gwarzo and al-Mustapha were said to be responsible for much of the "torture, killing and wanton looting" during Abacha's rule.
[/b]
wikipedia
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by solotutu(m): 7:57am On Jun 09, 2013
Why would any1 want to remember him...he's probly in hell....regretting y he didnt do right by nigeria den!
I read comment of some nairalanders sayin rabbish bout him bib d best person to have ruled...a pity ,maybe u werent alive on earth nd breathin d sufferin durin his regime, u were still in ur papa's loins
im a living witness to all abacha made we Nigerians face when he was rulin...maybe a thread wud do for every1 to post what abacha did durin his regime...i bet u'd curse him wen u find out
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by Nobody: 9:54am On Jun 09, 2013
Its pathetic the way we now romanticize Abacha.

Verily, we deserve bad leaders.
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by ifedayoonikola(m): 4:26pm On Jun 09, 2013
chess guru:
Didn't want to comment on this funny thread till I saw ur comment.
And you are soooooo right.
The mistake people make is to think democracy is for every country. My belief is that some countries are J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ too ehh......MAD to practice it.
Give them freedom of speech and they call u a weak leader and make cartoons of you.
I honestly think a military or communism govt would be best for d set of animals we have wearing suit and ties on the streets of nigeria.
A place like warri where if they haven't seen a soldier with GUN, they cannot behave themselves. English and reason don't work. The only thing we heed to is FORCE. Its a shame
I so much agree
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by brownlord: 4:47pm On Jun 09, 2013
Opey4luv: Rest in Peace. I am not gonna judge if you belong to hell or heaven only God can do that.

You dont need to, hez got a bungalow in hell already
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by brownlord: 4:49pm On Jun 09, 2013
HAH: Rest in peace brother. We were wrong

Thunder fire you are and him spirit, u dare pray that idiot to Rest in peace, you must be high on weed.

Rot in hell abacha
Re: Sani Abacha - 15 Years After by Nobody: 1:45am On Jun 10, 2013
^You should base your comments on evidence.

Present evidence to support your view.

I have presented evidence or at least the reasons why I believe Abacha was one of the best African leaders.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Okorocha's Kwara Supporters Defect To APC / Fashola Denies Presidential Ambition / Man Shares His Experience With Soldiers During Distribution Of Blankets To IDPs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.