Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,147 members, 7,887,334 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 06:57 AM

There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) - Literature (92) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) (732087 Views)

Your Best Story Ever Read On Nairaland / STORY FOR THE GODS [Nairaland Best Ever Magical Movie] / What Is The Best Story You Have Read On Nairaland? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) ... (162) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by arbass(m): 2:34pm On Sep 08, 2013
Mr. Zubbs, thank you..
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Danhumprey: 3:33pm On Sep 08, 2013
Coldplay007:
Guy! You too like attention.. Na so you do sotee you derailed Mazi's thread several times.. This is not your thread and nobody wants your amateur poems here..
Try and open your own thread of poems elsewhere..
I agree with you,though you sounded a bit harsh and insultive by terming his poems "amateurish".

@foxy,pls stop derailing the thread. I know Zubby don't like it,but he is trying hard to be a gentleman with you.
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by joudini(m): 3:46pm On Sep 08, 2013
This is what the street does to you. It turns you into a cold, calculating, scheming monster. I spent yesterday nite to this morning reading from pg 40 where l stopped and l can relate to this tale, being someone who might have pulled one or two tricks.

When you 'live' off the 'street', ur reflex and psychical processes increases to meet the gut rush that comes from the reactional response to outsmart the next man.

Zuby, accept my obiesance, and to the veterans who held it down on the thread. The beautiful ladies too.

3 Likes

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by adeswagsdmj(m): 5:57pm On Sep 08, 2013
zuby were u in lagos on friday
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by ZUBY77(m): 6:04pm On Sep 08, 2013
Chapter 105

We got to Surulere and parked the truck in front of the gate.

As I walked to the compound to open the gate from the inside, I saw some group of four young men approaching the truck. Initially, I thought they were passing but when they stopped behind the vehicle, I knew they had come for something.
After opening the gate, I walked back outside and asked the truck driver to go inside. He had alighted from his truck and was pointing at me as the owner of the properties. He was speaking Yoruba Language with the men, which unfortunately, I couldn't understand.

''Na you get this load'' one of them asked.
''Why are you asking'' I responded.

A hot slap landed on my cheek.
''I dey ask you question and you come dey ask me question on top'' he shouted.

I bent down to let the unexpected wave of pain calm down, then I raised my head again.

''Na you get this load'' he asked again.

I nodded in affirmative.

''Your price na N5,000'' he said.

N5000 was the reason why the unknown guy hit me.
''N5000 for what'' I asked.

''You still dey ask me another question abi'' he said as he moved forward to hit me again.
I saw him coming and stepped back.

''Kola, carry one thing there, make we dey go'' he shouted.

One of them climbed to the back of the truck and brought down my DVD home theater machine.

''OK, I will give you N5000'' I said.

I brought out my wallet, counted 5 pieces of N1000 notes and handed it over to the one he called Kola.
He was a tall guy of about 6ft with four tribal marks in each side of his face.

He counted the money and said that he had off loaded my DVD. As a result, I must pay him another N1000 for the off load.

No argument, I just handed him another N1000 and they left.
I didn't look at them as they left, I just touched the left side of my cheek where he had slapped me with his right hand. It was still hurting.
I tried to recall the last time any body slapped me. I hate slaps. I prefer boxing or kicking me. Slapping was like an insult to me.

Kola and his crew had just insulted and assaulted me. They wanted money and I was right to ask what the money was for.
It was wrong on their own part not to have explained why they wanted the money but sometimes, ethics didn't work in the street.
N5000 wasn't such a big deal for someone who just paid almost N600,000 for an apartment.

My cousin was explaining who they were to me. He was saying something like Alaye and area boys but I wasn't listening. I was angry. I had heard about Alaye before.
I was angry at the fact that my fellow Nigerians just slapped some stars out of my eyes. Angry that they didn't give me a chance to ask them what the money was for. They just wanted the money and they believed that they must get it from me.
People who behaved that way never lasted long in this life. Life itself was all about convictions.

We must learn from children all the time. If you wanted to take a kid's toy or biscuit, you must give him or her some kind of explanations or at least give him or her something back.

Those boys tried to alter the natural laws and people who did that never lasted long. They made enemies through the use of force. It was true that I made enemies but it was through revenge.
Any of my enemies who tried to do something else after I had taken my revenge would obviously be starting a new war.

''Oga, sorry oh, I dey try to talk to them but they no wan hear'' the driver said to me.
He could see the anger in my eyes.

I walked across the road and bought a bottle of cold water. It cooled my head a little as I washed my face with it and poured some on my head.

Kola and his group had just won but knowing who I was, it was only a matter of time before I find out who they were.

''Carry the things upstairs'' I said to the two labourers who came with us.
The driver helped them as they off loaded the properties and carried them upstairs.

As soon as we were finishing up, another group of two boys came.
They demanded for money too but the driver told them that some four men had taken money from us.

''Ah, Kola and Ade don come before us here again'' one of them said.

As they turned around to leave, I called them back.

''Area, eyes wey see go chop anyhow'' I said as I handed them N1000 note.

''Omo You be correct guy'' one of them said as he hugged me with one shoulder.

I told him that my name was Austin and that I was moving to the area that day. I Also promised to buy them drinks in the evening if they called me.
I gave them one of my numbers and took theirs, then they left.

We finished arranging the properties upstairs before the truck and its occupants left. I added N1000 to their money since they helped me arranged the stuff.

My cousin said he liked the house so much, it was closer to Lagos Island where he had a shop and Surulere was a busier area compared to the Barracks area.
An hour later, he left for Idumota.

I took time to fix the DVD cables and every other electrical connections.
Headache had set in due to the unexpected slap. It made me angry more.

''Life inevitably throws us curve balls and unexpected circumstances that remind us to expect the unexpected. These curve balls are the beautiful unfolding of both Karma and the current situation''

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by ZUBY77(m): 6:06pm On Sep 08, 2013
adeswags dmj: zuby were u in lagos on friday

No, i was in Enugu

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by solaceguy(m): 6:21pm On Sep 08, 2013
k
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by achi4u(m): 6:37pm On Sep 08, 2013
nice one bro.

I like the way you hold urself and didn't fight back immediately.
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by achi4u(m): 6:38pm On Sep 08, 2013
solaceguy: Ghenghen...Kola don enter am
lets see how it plays out.
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Nobody: 6:56pm On Sep 08, 2013
that kind of slap,that leaves you confused and disoriented.......
zubby i could feel your pain,they touched the tail of a live tiger,without knowing it.....

I personally resolved to learn pro martial arts,after i was robbed by a couple of street urchins recently.
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Nobody: 7:02pm On Sep 08, 2013
achi4u: nice one bro.

I like the way you hold urself and didn't fight back immediately.

he couldnt have lost his cool there,as they outnumbered him,moreover he was still very new in that area....
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Razzy01(m): 8:23pm On Sep 08, 2013
Ha but that was an heavy slap..wel i trust u from hw u judge tinz around u, u wil do sometin about it. Trust u man
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by koolpal(m): 8:45pm On Sep 08, 2013
Anybody can become angry - that is
easy, but to be angry with the right
person and to the right degree and at
the right time and for the right
purpose, and in the right way - that is
not within everybody's power and is
not easy." Nice quote...Odesy to his son Telymacus...Ur story is superb...keep it up

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by weazley(m): 8:59pm On Sep 08, 2013
am just comin bac from d hospital, after my role model zubby dedicated a chapter to me, i had to faint, I couldnt help it, naw am hail and hearty, praaaaise thy rod gringringringrin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Waladade4luv(m): 9:34pm On Sep 08, 2013
But do u think one can win battle with those area boys and omo oniles or else if person na military lets sit tight and see aw zubby go eradicate them
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by everrichy(m): 9:34pm On Sep 08, 2013
weazley: am just comin bac from d hospital, after my role model zubby dedicated a chapter to me, i had to faint, I couldnt help it, naw am hail and hearty, praaaaise thy rod gringringringrin

Lol.

1 Like

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by arbass(m): 9:38pm On Sep 08, 2013
fervently waitin' on an update ooo. Mr. Zubbs biko.
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Zeinymira(f): 9:49pm On Sep 08, 2013
Eeya so so sad. I'm sure yu dealt with them.
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Zakkyoz: 10:07pm On Sep 08, 2013
If kola had known they were dealing with ozoigbondu 1 of Berlin, they wouldn't have slapped you. They will definitely reap what they've sown.
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by MaziOmenuko: 10:08pm On Sep 08, 2013
The suspense on this thread is so heavy that you can almost touch it.

I'm sure kola will have a dose of his own medicine; Revenge is sweetest when served cold

Great work zubby, as usual.

#back to the sidelines#

8 Likes

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by hrykanu231(m): 10:10pm On Sep 08, 2013
Often than none, most Nigerians act b4 they think. Kola and his clique a typical example... I can smell the Boss teaching him a lesson on how 2 use his brains next time. Nice work
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by hanelson(m): 10:25pm On Sep 08, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: The suspense on this thread is so heavy that you can almost touch it.

I'm sure kola will have a dose of his own medicine; Revenge is sweetest when served cold

Great work zubby, as usual.

#back to the sidelines#

Nice one mazi. Revenge issweetest when served cold. Danzel washington "man on fire"
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by ZUBY77(m): 10:28pm On Sep 08, 2013
Chapter 106

After settling down temporarily, I called Maria and told her that I had returned to the place. She said she was at Ikeja and promised to come as soon as she returned.

I called Daisy and told her that I had gotten to the new place. She demanded for the address but I told her that I was upstairs and that I would find out later.
I knew the address quite alright but it was time to start drifting away from Daisy.
I was a coward for not being able to disregard the Osu culture and went for her but one cannot have them all. I knew a fight I could win alone and the ones I could not. The Osu culture was wrong and so was so many religious indoctrinations. An individual cannot fight such forces. It must be a collective effort.
All the above reasons was just excuses to pacify my cowardice but like I said, we can't have them all.

I called Zainab. She wanted to come too.
What exactly was wrong with our school system? Why would a girl want to leave school in the middle of an ongoing semester?
Well since I didn't attend the University, I may never know.
''Everywhere is still disorganized, don't come'' I said and cut off the phone.

I sat on the large sitting room and drank some whiskey. The Satellite cable had not been installed but I had connected the playstation. I played a war game and rested.

Some hours later Maria called. She said she had returned and wanted me to come. I took a bike to her place. She was cooking that universal food called rice as I waited for her in the sitting room.
She would come to the sitting room and stole some kisses, then went back and continued what she was doing. She also gave me a bottle of Johnny walker since I had told her earlier that I liked it.

''Its weekend, where are we going today'' Maria asked.
''We are staying here today Maria, let us rest. I did some work today and need some rest. I want us to be husband and wife today and stay at home'' I had said.
She laughed out loud as I expected.

''I was hoping to go to a club tonight'' she said.
I didn't respond to that. I had decided that I was not going anywhere that night.

Kola and his gang had taken my club money and it was logical that I stay at home.

Yes, the thought of Kola reminded me of my new Alaye friends. I called one of them.

I told him to come to Masha
He came with His friend and one of the four guys who had slapped me. We met at a bar and had some drinks.
The new guy, who was among my beaters recognized me and apologized for their actions. They were all the same group.
He wasn't the one who slapped me and he wasn't Kola.
He blamed Kola and the slapper for what happened to me and tried hard to exonerate himself. I assured him there was no problem.

''I have forgotten the thing'' I had told him. He shook my hand and said that I was a man.
Yes of course, I was a man, women don't forget slaps in a day.

After the drinks, I asked him to tell Kola and the rest of the guys that I had forgotten what happened. He promised to send my message.
I collected his number too. His name was Baba. It was apparently a nickname but who cared, Baba was enough to remember him.

After drinks and meat, I paid N3150. The total money stolen from Kola and his gang totaled N10,150.

I had no plan on how to get it back but it was only a matter of time before an idea came, even if I didn't want to do anything, the fact that I was slapped will never depart from my brain. Patience, just have patience.

I left them and returned to Maria. She had finished cooking and had served some food on the table for me.

''I didn't say I was hungry Maria. I am not eating'' I had said.

She tried everything possible to convince me but I refused. It wasn't about being hungry. I was too wary of Edo girls. I had heard all sorts of negative news about them in Europe. Rumours had it that they charm Igbo boys into Marrying them in Europe. I didn't believe the rumours but I didn't doubt it either.
If she had not eaten and wanted to eat with me, we would have done that but to have arranged food for me behind my back, no.
I told her to return the food to the pot and that we eat together later. She agreed but when she returned the food to the kitchen, she didn't return it into the pot, she left it inside the plates. Good, we shall see.

'' We all have to distrust each other to some extent, it is our only defense against betrayal''

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by aao: 10:29pm On Sep 08, 2013
nice one. thanks for the goodnight update.
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Tstone1(m): 10:30pm On Sep 08, 2013
Hmmmmm...don't wanna predict the outcome of Kola's act. Guess it's gonna cause a lots of commotion in the street. Well...let's see how events unfolds!
#fingers crossed#
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Laxy009(m): 10:52pm On Sep 08, 2013
I luv d way u dish out ur update. I luv d style of ur writing. U re doing a great job. I also love d quotes at end of each updates.

1 Like

Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by ayobami52(m): 11:26pm On Sep 08, 2013
Still an ardent follower..... ride on bro ...
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by koolpal(m): 11:29pm On Sep 08, 2013
Oga Zubby really wants to avoid stories that touch...lols...nothing do...carry waka jor.
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by Connoisseur(m): 11:36pm On Sep 08, 2013
Good one zuby.
as for kola and his clique; i know for sure they would get their of pure venom, what i dont know is the spices that would come with it.

carry go
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by milanseedorf(m): 12:06am On Sep 09, 2013
Oga Zubby the genius. I love your patience towards things. i wish pple will emulate u.
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by bassette(m): 12:17am On Sep 09, 2013
One word..Interesting!!!
Re: There And Back On Time (Nairaland Best Story of all Time) by IZUKWU(m): 1:12am On Sep 09, 2013
Hei hei hei, i no fit shout!

(1) (2) (3) ... (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) ... (162) (Reply)

NYSC: National Year Of Sex And Comfort <<<Adventure of the year: 2013 Awards >>> / Story Of Addiction..... (love Story) / Love Hiccups

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.