Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,610 members, 7,972,243 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 07:18 AM

The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" - Properties (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" (266387 Views)

The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" / The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats / The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (87) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by chinosxl(m): 9:47pm On Jul 11, 2013
I guess this is the end of "first stage" right?
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by chinosxl(m): 9:50pm On Jul 11, 2013
Ogar spyder, no forget question way I ask you the last time wey we talk. About the Granite vs Gravel for P/h. We are all waiting on the cost for first stage. You guys did a beautiful job here.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by chinosxl(m): 9:53pm On Jul 11, 2013
Emperoh:

Nwanne o nwelo ihe n'eme!!
Otolo gbagbuo expensive! grin grin grin grin

Bring it on wink grin

LOL
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 10:19pm On Jul 11, 2013
Let me start this summary for the first stage by re affirming my earlier dedication to lower costs in home building. I will really love to see ways to reduce the cost and wherever I could do that in this project, I did. I can remember people asking me on site, "are you the owner of the house?"
They ask this because I usually haggle to the last possible price before I pay for any material or labour.

There were so many factors that shot up the cost of building this foundation to as much as it is now. Chief among these are;

1. The cost of fortifications for the foundation
2. Underestimation for material cost. (filling sand, granite etc)
3. Increase in height of the foundation.

There was no plans to build the ground beams as at the time we started this house, as the ground water started to come out, we made some consultations and came up with solution, many time even going ahead to add additional safety measures to make sure the house is sound and built with utmost attention to details and specifications/recommendations.

I must commend my client here, he gave us all the support we needed by approving several suggestions we made, and even going forward to introduce some new ideas. The learning point here is that clients should please be very close to their builders, this will make it possible that issues are attended to in time and decisions are taken to chart the pace of the project. If we succeeded in doing anything good here, we should thank our host for being there whenever we needed his attention.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 10:34pm On Jul 11, 2013
The whole foundation of this house, site preparation (including buying the tanks of water, building the workers rest place/site store), from the first day we set foot on this site till this evening, materials, labour, logistics, etc, etc, cost a whopping sum of N3.4 million Naira. I will provide a breakdown as soon as I can.

NB. I also like to add, that there are still some materials which were supposed to be used up in this first stage which are still remaining at the site, we still have some granite, sand, blocks remaining.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by chinosxl(m): 10:45pm On Jul 11, 2013
WOW. So long as your client understands, that's what matters. Well done.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jul 11, 2013
Well done Engr your on point like the saying goes it better to change the leaking roof other than placing a bucket under it when it rains. Stay blessed! smiley

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by mufutau55(m): 11:22pm On Jul 11, 2013
spyder880: I must commend my client here, he gave us all the support we needed by approving several suggestions we made, and even going forward to introduce some new ideas. The learning point here is that clients should please be very close to their builders, this will make it possible that issues are attended to in time and decisions are taken to chart the pace of the project. If we succeeded in doing anything good here, we should thank our host for being there whenever we needed his attention.

This is the best part. Understanding... God bless the client and you the builder and all your dedicated hardworking crews. Keep up the good work. It's not the cost that matters much but the safety and the client understand that.
In estimation and probability, things goes up or down.. that is to be expected. May God grant the understanding client enough funds to finish his project. Good work to all of you.

Hajji Mufutau

2 Likes

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Fhemmmy: 1:58am On Jul 12, 2013
spyder880: Let me start this summary for the first stage by re affirming my earlier dedication to lower costs in home building. I will really love to see ways to reduce the cost and wherever I could do that in this project, I did. I can remember people asking me on site, "are you the owner of the house?"
They ask this because I usually haggle to the last possible price before I pay for any material or labour.

There were so many factors that shot up the cost of building this foundation to as much as it is now. Chief among these are;

There was no plans to build the ground beams as at the time we started this house, as the ground water started to come out, we made some consultations and came up with solution, many time even going ahead to add additional safety measures to make sure the house is sound and built with utmost attention to details and specifications/recommendations.

I must commend my client here, he gave us all the support we needed by approving several suggestions we made, and even going forward to introduce some new ideas. The learning point here is that clients should please be very close to their builders, this will make it possible that issues are attended to in time and decisions are taken to chart the pace of the project. If we succeeded in doing anything good here, we should thank our host for being there whenever we needed his attention.

A good client indeed . . . God bless him for making the life of my Oga at the top easy.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 12, 2013
who can tell me the reason why this guy called spyder880 won't go places? Honesty is in-built not learned or earned. keep it up. you go build my house next year for enugu.[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][color=#000099][/color]
spyder880: Let me start this summary for the first stage by re affirming my earlier dedication to lower costs in home building. I will really love to see ways to reduce the cost and wherever I could do that in this project, I did. I can remember people asking me on site, "are you the owner of the house?"

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by blank(f): 11:07am On Jul 12, 2013
I don't mean to sound confrontational. Hope you can take some constructive criticism.

I guess this what people meant when they said your budget was near impossible. Cutting cost is good but over prudence is not.

I may not be a "builder" but I have had first hand knowledge of a mini estate built in PH. Foundation will have to be reinforced cos of ground water and you now know the cost. Enugu doesn't have such issues but PH and Lagos always need such consideration.

No need for insults cos I just expressed an opinion. We are all learning and I enjoy following his threads.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by sayso: 11:33am On Jul 12, 2013
blank: I don't mean to sound confrontational. Hope you can take some constructive criticism.

I guess this what people meant when they said your budget was near impossible. Cutting cost is good but over prudence is not.

I may not be a "builder" but I have had first hand knowledge of a mini estate built in PH. Foundation will have to be reinforced cos of ground water and you now know the cost. Enugu doesn't have such issues but PH and Lagos always need such consideration.

No need for insults cos I just expressed an opinion. We are all learning and I enjoy following his threads.

I will not answer for Spyder but your asked the most bothering question(Cost) and that is exactly why Spyder gets his clients.Transperency in costing.
I still think he will hit his target though but that is left for the class to accept bearing in mind some additions where made.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Benjacky: 12:14pm On Jul 12, 2013
I think your good. In Warri I got up to this level in house not as big as yours
without reinforced foundation but filling as high as yours for 2.5m. So your price is not much at all.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jul 12, 2013
OK finally after two weeks of absence, i met this thread where i want it....Oga spyder, if ur oga at the top is not a NLer pls can u tell us the total cost at this level grin grin
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jul 12, 2013
CHESSBOARD: OK finally after two weeks of absence, i met this thread where i want it....Oga spyder, if ur oga at the top is not a NLer pls can u tell us the total cost at this level grin grin
Ooooooo, just like in every class, some students will just drag the whole class back.
Oga said its 3.4 million naira.
I be the quiet student wey no dey make noise for class, but they assimilate every.
Oga spyder, at the end of this class, can I print this thread into a book for keeps?

2 Likes

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by segcymoor(m): 2:33pm On Jul 12, 2013
sayso:

I will not answer for Spyder but your asked the most bothering question(Cost) and that is exactly why Spyder gets his clients.Transperency in costing.
I still think he will hit his target though but that is left for the class to accept bearing in mind some additions where made.

..The philosophy of believe states that: Once u believe in something or someone, u will remain blind to argument against it....abeg go to sleep and let the Spyder answer.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by OilSubsidy: 3:44pm On Jul 12, 2013
@Spyder, Here is a suggestion. Never reveal your budgeted amount for any building until the end. This will serve to avoid all the scrutiny by experienced and not so experienced builders and of course they may well have valid points where a huge differential is likely to occur.

Just teach us and show us cost implication and at the end you can have something like this

Initial Agreed Amount to build house = X Million
Actual Amount to build house = Y million

We, your student are here to learn about the 'costing' and 'bill of materials' required to build a house and not necessarily the 'Agreed' budget of a particular building. This way you are not under unnecessary pressure to satisfy us even if it is at your own cost. Transparency is what matters.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by gtrust: 4:12pm On Jul 12, 2013
I think 3.4 million naira is still on track for the 1st stage.

2nd stage: we do not expect any 'under-ground water' flowing from somewhere, so original cost will apply!
plus he expects to save money from the materials left unused from 1st stage.

All other stages: same

Meaning: Spyder-team can try to speed up and still catch up on time.
Budget well, usually I keep extra 15%
If they manage this then wonderful!

I still believe they can!
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by princeonx: 5:57pm On Jul 12, 2013
OilSubsidy: @Spyder, Here is a suggestion. Never reveal your budgeted amount for any building until the end. This will serve to avoid all the scrutiny by experienced and not so experienced builders and of course they may well have valid points where a huge differential is likely to occur.

Just teach us and show us cost implication and at the end you can have something like this

Initial Agreed Amount to build house = X Million
Actual Amount to build house = Y million

We, your student are here to learn about the 'costing' and 'bill of materials' required to build a house and not necessarily the 'Agreed' budget of a particular building. This way you are not under unnecessary pressure to satisfy us even if it is at your own cost. Transparency is what matters.
What you suggested above is some of the reason why we have big problem in Nigeria. Folks (especially in power/government) want to keep people uninformed and just wake up one morning and announce this crazy amount which runs in billions with capital B lately. Every project both house, school, hospital, just name should come with a budget! That's how it's done in civilized places and that budget is an estimate! Close estimate from someone that know and have knowledge of what they doing and in most cases, it goes up a little or you save a little. While in Nigeria, you see someone with N3m laying a foundation for a story building of 4 flats and end up not finishing the house or struggle to roof it half way. A friend was quoted less than even half the real price/cost of his project simply bcox his uncle claim/said he will be discouraged to build if giving or quoted the real cost. Now he's involved in a project way bigger than him for years now! This is also common among my people (Igbos). There are so much uncompleted mansions in my village while some of the owners live in 2 rooms or face me I face you in Lagos and when they visit home they stay in their fathers house. Anybody planing to kickoff a project such as this need to have a quote/estimate ad also need to bear in mind that for the most part especially in naija might go up.

3 Likes

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by princeonx: 6:07pm On Jul 12, 2013
blank: I don't mean to sound confrontational. Hope you can take some constructive criticism.

Your comment is right on track and I don't see any confrontation in it. In situation like this I simply sit and watch! Also from experience, the block/brick part are really not where the main cost go to! Don't be shocked that all block work to even roof will cost less than N1.2 so, we'll see!
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by kopell: 7:03pm On Jul 12, 2013
@Spyder no shakin I believe you can still meet your cost target with + 15%. With your brave foresight and understanding of your client in making good decisions in spending more now then creating bigger problems in future, you're an experience builder. Oga client weldone in you supportive row of making it a reality.
This man called Spyder is a man of integrating he will deliver. When one get quotation it's alway + or - 15% he is still on track.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 8:39pm On Jul 12, 2013
I must commend all of you for your genuine comments and contributions. There is some truth to what you all are saying, for one thing, I feel sad that I could not keep it within budget, at a point in the foundation stage, I felt very annoyed with myself and was working almost 21 hours just to work out possible ways to save cost.

The raising of the foundation height was a good decision but it was achieved at a very huge cost, the filling sand alone was massive, it took us 20 double axle lorries of sand at an average cost of N19k to fill the foundation. For each of the trips, boys tranfered it into the foundation at a cost of N4k each.

There was a lot of unplanned spending, but we have gone past that stage now. It has been a very tough experience for me, but thats the way I like life, facing the tough tasks head on. If I win or lose, it will add to my experiences, but I am confident of success. With your prayers and encouragement, difficult tasks will look simple.

The total time duration we alloted for this past stage was 10 days, but we cast it on the 14th day, we have lost 4 days already and we are not happy,(although the added fortifications are to blame for the delays) but we still hope to recover the lost days as we push forward, thank you all once again.

10 Likes

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Fhemmmy: 8:45pm On Jul 12, 2013
spyder880: I must commend all of you for your genuine comments and contributions. There is some truth to what you all are saying, for one thing, I feel sad that I could not keep it within budget, at a point in the foundation stage, I felt very annoyed with myself and was working almost 21 hours just to work out possible ways to save cost.

The raising of the foundation height was a good decision but it was achieved at a very huge cost, the filling sand alone was massive, it took us 20 double axle lorries of sand at an average cost of N19k to fill the foundation. For each of the trips, boys tranfered it into the foundation at a cost of N4k each.

There was a lot of unplanned spending, but we have gone past that stage now. It has been a very tough experience for me, but thats the way I like life, facing the tough tasks head on. If I win or lose, it will add to my experiences, but I am confident of success. With your prayers and encouragement, difficult tasks will look simple.

The total time duration we alloted for this past stage was 10 days, but we cast it on the 14th day, we have lost 4 days already and we are not happy,(although the added fortifications are to blame for the delays) but we still hope to recover the lost days as we push forward, thank you all once again.

Keep up with the great work you doing . . .
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:05pm On Jul 12, 2013
We started getting supplies of blocks for the next stage from yesterday......

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:06pm On Jul 12, 2013
and sharp sand from this morning

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:08pm On Jul 12, 2013
Throw it down!

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:09pm On Jul 12, 2013
......then we started forming the walls of this mansion

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:14pm On Jul 12, 2013
The rooms are formed at this stage, what I usually do at this stage is to call the attention of my client if he is in the country, place a line of single blocks and let him see how large or small each room is in real life and where doors and windows are positioned. We do this so he or she can make last minute adjustments to the plans before we lift off the ground.

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:17pm On Jul 12, 2013
and if its OK by the owner of the house, we move on.....

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:18pm On Jul 12, 2013
we continue

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:19pm On Jul 12, 2013
more

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:21pm On Jul 12, 2013
climbing at some points

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (87) (Reply)

The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) / Buy Original Stamped Concrete Materials. / Fences And Gates In Pictures And Prices

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.