Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,584 members, 7,972,171 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 05:18 AM

The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" - Properties (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" (266382 Views)

The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" / The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats / The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (87) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:22pm On Jul 12, 2013
bend down guys, using 3 different sizes of blocks here,

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:24pm On Jul 12, 2013
work continues tomorrow,

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by chidexy(m): 9:25pm On Jul 12, 2013
Oga Spyder, good job. Jisie ike
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:26pm On Jul 12, 2013
chidexy: Oga Spyder, good job. Jisie ike

Thank you brother
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Adedeji250: 9:29pm On Jul 12, 2013
More power 2 u!

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jul 12, 2013
Wow! Nigeria method of building houses hasn't come of age! It is very interesting looking at the dude carrying brick on his head. Not only that, those scooping sand on beach drawers. cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by amanikondo: 10:13pm On Jul 12, 2013
all4naija: Wow! Nigeria method of building houses hasn't come of age! It is very interesting looking at the dude carrying brick on his head. Not only that, those scooping sand on beach drawers. cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin
What do you expect them to use? Is there a machine that has been made abroad that will do the Job? Pleas reply.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by lawali: 10:34pm On Jul 12, 2013
spyder880: we started the plumbing of this house, the pipes for the waste and water must be fixed now so we can cast the DPC on it.
Kindly explain why u are starting plumbing at this stage. I just want to know my builder has not commit blunder by completing the DPC without plumbing. Is this another way of doing houseplumbing?
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 10:44pm On Jul 12, 2013
lawali: Kindly explain why u are starting plumbing at this stage. I just want to know my builder has not commit blunder by completing the DPC without plumbing. Is this another way of doing houseplumbing?

Good question.

There are two major types of plumbing, surface plumbing and conduit plumbing. In surface plumbing the waste will be piped by fixing the pipes on the walls, very visible (some people will argue that its ugly to look at) in surface plumbing your engineer can do hid DPC and even complete the house before fixing the pipes.

The second type is the conduit plumbing method, in this type the pipes are buried inside the walls and totally non visible to the eyes. This is the type we are building now. (conduit)
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by lawali: 11:13pm On Jul 12, 2013
spyder880: The rooms are formed at this stage, what I usually do at this stage is to call the attention of my client if he is in the country, place a line of single blocks and let him see how large or small each room is in real life and where doors and windows are positioned. We do this so he or she can make last minute adjustments to the plans before we lift off the ground.
Spyder, I just picked something important from this idea. My builder have started raising the blocks and am feeling uneasy that some errors may be committed. When I last visited site, i noticed some extension beyond what's on plan. I pray the error in block workswill not be catasrophic. Feeling like jetting to site 2morrow.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by lawali: 11:35pm On Jul 12, 2013
spyder880: The whole foundation of this house, site preparation (including buying the tanks of water, building the workers rest place/site store), from the first day we set foot on this site till this evening, materials, labour, logistics, etc, etc, cost a whopping sum of N3.4 million Naira. I will provide a breakdown as soon as I can.

NB. I also like to add, that there are still some materials which were supposed to be used up in this first stage which are still remaining at the site, we still have some granite, sand, blocks remaining.
Spyder, pls I need ur help and advise at this point. By calculation, using rule of thumb, can I multiply the cost of foundation excluding DPC(of 4 coaches ) 3 times to get an estimate for entire block work(12 coaches) to roof/decking level? Assuming I spent N1M for 4 coaches foundations (no raft, just block), my entire block works with columns & lintels shouldn't cost more than N3M. Also, if I spent N1M for my DPC, by rule of thumb, I believe my decking shouldn't be more than N1.5M. Pls advise as I need to engage my builder.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 12:49am On Jul 13, 2013
lawali: Spyder, pls I need ur help and advise at this point. By calculation, using rule of thumb, can I multiply the cost of foundation excluding DPC(of 4 coaches ) 3 times to get an estimate for entire block work(12 coaches) to roof/decking level? Assuming I spent N1M for 4 coaches foundations (no raft, just block), my entire block works with columns & lintels shouldn't cost more than N3M. Also, if I spent N1M for my DPC, by rule of thumb, I believe my decking shouldn't be more than N1.5M. Pls advise as I need to engage my builder.

Very difficult to say, its all in the building plans and the specifications. Guessing will not help us at all.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by ogaibe1(m): 12:51am On Jul 13, 2013
There is a reason why spyder880 decided to open this thread is to show people who are still in the process of building to check thier pockets and have an idea of the cost and adjustments of building this house, for those who have already made some mistakes to learn from thier past mistakes especially trusting families to handle your project. Breaking down the cost of materials and showing how he was able to reach to this extent is what is neccesary to gain the trust of the owner of the project. Honesty is what is lacking in Nigeria some of us nigerians living in diaspora are duped everyday into believing that building in nigeria supposed to cost exhorbitant prices. Some people inflate the cost of materials especially when someone in a family is handling the contract. So this thread is established so that people can become aware of prices of materials,so that they can ask questions and make adjustments as needed in who is handling their project.
prince_onx:
What you suggested above is some of the reason why we have big problem in Nigeria. Folks (especially in power/government) want to keep people uninformed and just wake up one morning and announce this crazy amount which runs in billions with capital B lately. Every project both house, school, hospital, just name should come with a budget! That's how it's done in civilized places and that budget is an estimate! Close estimate from someone that know and have knowledge of what they doing and in most cases, it goes up a little or you save a little. While in Nigeria, you see someone with N3m laying a foundation for a story building of 4 flats and end up not finishing the house or struggle to roof it half way. A friend was quoted less than even half the real price/cost of his project simply bcox his uncle claim/said he will be discouraged to build if giving or quoted the real cost. Now he's involved in a project way bigger than him for years now! This is also common among my people (Igbos). There are so much uncompleted mansions in my village while some of the owners live in 2 rooms or face me I face you in Lagos and when they visit home they stay in their fathers house. Anybody planing to kickoff a project such as this need to have a quote/estimate ad also need to bear in mind that for the most part especially in naija might go up.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by kopell: 12:55am On Jul 13, 2013
@Onigbinde01 in which of the Nigerian national newspaper was it advertised? or was it on the National television? With this kind of kangaroo way of recruitment that's why you will always keep getting unqualified people in most Nigerian institutions like "MY OGA AT THE TOP".
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by mufutau55(m): 12:58am On Jul 13, 2013
kopell: @Onigbinde01 in which of the Nigerian national newspaper was it advertised? or was it on the National television? With this kind of kangaroo way of recruitment that's why you will always keep getting unqualified people in most Nigerian institutions like "MY OGA AT THE TOP".

Kopell. Don't be surprised that those jobs have been awarded to some friends, politician's people, brothers, cousins etc. even before they were advertised.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Fhemmmy: 2:08am On Jul 13, 2013
I have missed oh . . . Good work.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by vizion: 6:02am On Jul 13, 2013
kopell: @Onigbinde01 in which of the Nigerian national newspaper was it advertised? or was it on the National television? With this kind of kangaroo way of recruitment that's why you will always keep getting unqualified people in most Nigerian institutions like "MY OGA AT THE TOP".

Beware, it was because of fraudulent adverts like this that channels reporters were hammering the "oga at the top man" to provide their authentic website so that people would not be defrauded.

The website in question does not belong to NSCDC, these particular recruitment drive is a scam.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by lawali: 6:47am On Jul 13, 2013
spyder880:

Very difficult to say, its all in the building plans and the specifications. Guessing will not help us at all.
Can I share details with you via ur mail? Believe u can be of help. If so, ur e-mail pls.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by achi4u(m): 6:56am On Jul 13, 2013
Nna menh this house ga eto bfore this month runs out.

I love hard working people!
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by elvis07: 9:03am On Jul 13, 2013
i am hoping to start something like this but for commercial purpose in owerri, i hope when u re contacted its not gonna be up to 8.8m since its a dry land.
kip up with d gud work
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by ashaju33: 10:29am On Jul 13, 2013
Well-done.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Chekitaut: 3:24pm On Jul 13, 2013
amanikondo:
What do you expect them to use? Is there a machine that has been made abroad that will do the Job? Pleas reply.
pre cast is the method used, very fast.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by makanzy: 3:26pm On Jul 13, 2013
oga spydo if we get 10 percent of you for naija things go better. keep up the good work
spyder880: bend down guys, using 3 different sizes of blocks here,
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by mufutau55(m): 4:37pm On Jul 13, 2013
amanikondo:

Yes. Most things are automated. Imagine carrying blocks and or cement mix to a 10, 50 or more storey building.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Od31(m): 6:40pm On Jul 13, 2013
lawali: Spyder, I just picked something important from this idea. My builder have started raising the blocks and am feeling uneasy that some errors may be committed. When I last visited site, i noticed some extension beyond what's on plan. I pray the error in block workswill not be catasrophic. Feeling like jetting to site 2morrow.

I also picked a very vita point too. the same thing happened to me, when I visited my site, there are some extension/addition of walls beyond what is on the building plan even without consulting me he(my builder/engr went ahead to make extensions/addition. Spyder did the right thing, any extension or addition should be discussed with the owner of the project, because it may add to the overall cost of construction besides other things.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by segcymoor(m): 7:58pm On Jul 13, 2013
mufutau55:

Yes. Most things are automated. Imagine carrying blocks and or cement mix to a 10, 50 or more storey building.

Hajji Mufutau
U means crane. I tell u it's common here for high rise building

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by mufutau55(m): 10:04pm On Jul 13, 2013
segcy.moor:

U means crane. I tell u it's common here for high rise building

That's right sir. There are small ones and big ones, based on the need on the site.
And Yes, I have seen them in high riser building in Nigeria too.. I have not see the smaller ones, they may be available though.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by esoorita: 11:09pm On Jul 13, 2013
Well done Spyder, and all the contributors. I'm learning seriously here and I know that other prospective house building
aspirants are learning too. I'm also delighted that the thread has not been blighted much by people trading insults. Please, let's show maturity and decorum. If a question is directed at Spyder, let him answer it without anyone chastising
the person that asked the question. The purpose of this thread is to let us learn and knowledge has no end , it's infinitive. Once again Spyder, I doff my hat for you.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by lawali: 11:46pm On Jul 13, 2013
Od31:

I also picked a very vita point too. the same thing happened to me, when I visited my site, there are some extension/addition of walls beyond what is on the building plan even without consulting me he(my builder/engr went ahead to make extensions/addition. Spyder did the right thing, any extension or addition should be discussed with the owner of the project, because it may add to the overall cost of construction besides other things.
I am happy to say, this thread and Spyder idea of showing one coach of block to client actually moved (or should I say jet) me to my site early today. I could say it was a worthwhile journey. I was able to get explanations for some changes to plan and also highlight some corrections that would have been late if not done now. Putting learning into act. Grateful to spyder for sharing.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by lawali: 12:05am On Jul 14, 2013
spyder880: bend down guys, using 3 different sizes of blocks here,
are u using 3 different types of block? What are the conditions or limitations of usage of particular block type at ground floor? I actually want my builder to use 6" blocks in inner area to achieve more space in the internals but he insisted using 9" because of the decking, he prefers bigger blocks to support the columns to carry the weight. Is this not overkill or over design? I just feel all the columns at ground floor should be able to carry the decking.

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (87) (Reply)

The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) / Buy Original Stamped Concrete Materials. / Fences And Gates In Pictures And Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.