Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,610 members, 7,972,246 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 07:21 AM

The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" - Properties (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" (266388 Views)

The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" / The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats / The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (87) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by elvis07: 10:04pm On Jul 14, 2013
Pls wat kind of fees is all this, pls can some1 clarify this fees pls and let us also know if dis is peculiar to PH only.
chinosxl: Oga spyder,

I beg, i need u and ur client help here. I'm trying to see if you can get my German/foundation done as soon as you complete ur current project. Since ur client is building in P/H you guys should be able to assist me.

I have been told to pay #228k for "State Govt Approval" for my building plan and #185K for (2010, 2011, 2012) tax clearance. This fees just keep coming, i haven't started building but i have spent close to 1M on fees alone. Oga spyder, please ask ur client if he had to pay this fees before commencing on his duplex. My plot is fenced and gate recently installed. Can i proceed with Foundation/German floor before paying these fees?

Fee details below in Naira currency.

State Govt Approval

1. Processing fee 20k
2. Fencing permit 8k
3. Approval fee 30k
4. Administrative fee 60k
5. Inspection fee 25k
6. Site analysis fee 30k
7. C of O application fee 10k
8. Letter of undertaking 25k
9. Insurance 10k
10. Charting fee 10k
11. Logistics fee 50k
12. Tax clearance (2010, 2011, 2012) 185k

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by lawali: 11:16pm On Jul 14, 2013
elvis07: Pls wat kind of fees is all this, pls can some1 clarify this fees pls and let us also know if dis is peculiar to PH only.
As far as I know, most of these fees are not required. Except this is happening recently in PH and I believe many of the fees listed should be for getting CofO. The most common fee i know everyone pays in PH is fencing permit and nothing more. Spyder is likely to furnish with most recent update on this as man on ground.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by princeonx: 3:38am On Jul 15, 2013

I beg, i need u and ur client help here. I'm trying to see if you can get my German/foundation done as soon as you complete ur current project. Since ur client is building in P/H you guys should be able to assist me.

I have been told to pay #228k for "State Govt Approval" for my building plan and #185K for (2010, 2011, 2012) tax clearance. This fees just keep coming, i haven't started building but i have spent close to 1M on fees alone. Oga spyder, please ask ur client if he had to pay this fees before commencing on his duplex. My plot is fenced and gate recently installed. Can i proceed with Foundation/German floor before paying these fees?

State Govt Approval

1. Processing fee 20k
2. Fencing permit 8k
3. Approval fee 30k
5. Inspection fee 25k
6. Site analysis fee 30k
9. Insurance 10k
10. Charting fee 10k
11. Logistics fee 50k

What a country! There's always one useless and stupid names or the other when it comes to paying fees in Nigeria. My biggest issue with this is that even the people that work at this government office can't even explain what this fees are. I collected/got a list like that when I visited Nigeria for the processing of my C of O and when you ask what some of the fees especially those that sound alike (site inspection, site charting, site approval, building approval, construction approval) they simply tell you that "Oga everybody dey pay am or your C of O no go come out" smdh!!
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Od31(m): 6:54am On Jul 15, 2013

State Govt Approval
1. Processing fee 20k
2. Fencing permit 8k
3. Approval fee 30k
5. Inspection fee 25k
6. Site analysis fee 30k
9. Insurance 10k
10. Charting fee 10k
11. Logistics fee 50k

That is the reality in PH now my friend. I faced the same thing too. The truth is that even if you pay, you will still not get the approval on time. The State approval takes time. If you do not get the approval and you start any work the task force people will still come to disturb your and ask for your approval and when u fail to produce it, they will write on ur wall or fence "stop work" they will want to take money from you that you have contravene the law by starting the building without state approval. It is really a very terrible thing going on in PH now. the common man is suffering. The best bet is the get to know the task force around that area first, before you start anything that way you can get along and take your time to get the state approval. It takes time. I paid since last year september/october, and by Jan when i returned to nigeria, i attempted to start foundation, then i meet this taskforce people,even with the evidence i showed them, that I have paid for the state approval, the insist to see the approval. I even called the guy rom the state office that is handling it but that could not resolve the issue. I had to give another moni. So it is a mess. My Advice, get to the state taskforce in charge of the area you are building and have an understanding, so you can start otherwise, if you have to wait for the state approval, it may not come out in the next 1 year. even when you have someone in the state office (urban development office) doing it for you. mine is still not out till now.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by jam04(m): 7:21am On Jul 15, 2013
Od31:

That is the reality in PH now my friend. I faced the same thing too. The truth is that even if you pay, you will still not get the approval on time. The State approval takes time. If you do not get the approval and you start any work the task force people will still come to disturb your and ask for your approval and when u fail to produce it, they will write on ur wall or fence "stop work" they will want to take money from you that you have contravene the law by starting the building without state approval. It is really a very terrible thing going on in PH now. the common man is suffering. The best bet is the get to know the task force around that area first, before you start anything that way you can get along and take your time to get the state approval. It takes time. I paid since last year september/october, and by Jan when i returned to nigeria, i attempted to start foundation, then i meet this taskforce people,even with the evidence i showed them, that I have paid for the state approval, the insist to see the approval. I even called the guy rom the state office that is handling it but that could not resolve the issue. I had to give another moni. So it is a mess. My Advice, get to the state taskforce in charge of the area you are building and have an understanding, so you can start otherwise, if you have to wait for the state approval, it may not come out in the next 1 year. even when you have someone in the state office (urban development office) doing it for you. mine is still not out till now.

Did you pay all the fees @chinosxl outlined above?
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by manie(m): 7:21am On Jul 15, 2013
spyder880: I love building houses, and the attendant challenges that will inevitably come with it. I love making things happen, and working with skilled men to use materials in creating beautiful designs that will make a superb home. I have just been contracted by a Nairalander to build his house in Port Harcourt. The details are as follows;

Project: A 5 bedroom executive duplex
Client : A Nairalander
Duration: 60 days
Project cost: N8.8m (Foundation-roofing, materials and labour)
Contractor: Ckenneths Homes Nig.

This project will start this week as we arrange to travel down to the city and start work. This house comes with all the latest designs in modern building, granite, decent room arrangement with bigger bedrooms, internal plumbing and electricals, special parapet cornice, stone coated roofing tiles, everything.......

Does the cost include plastering and finishing of the house?
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Od31(m): 8:29am On Jul 15, 2013
jam04:

Did you pay all the fees @chinosxl outlined above?

what i paid was more even, I paid a total of about 270k. All those fees are really not real, what you will get in receipt is far less that what you paid. most of the money goes to where nobody can explain
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by chinosxl(m): 11:32am On Jul 15, 2013
Od31:

That is the reality in PH now my friend. I faced the same thing too. The truth is that even if you pay, you will still not get the approval on time. The State approval takes time. If you do not get the approval and you start any work the task force people will still come to disturb your and ask for your approval and when u fail to produce it, they will write on ur wall or fence "stop work" they will want to take money from you that you have contravene the law by starting the building without state approval. It is really a very terrible thing going on in PH now. the common man is suffering. The best bet is the get to know the task force around that area first, before you start anything that way you can get along and take your time to get the state approval. It takes time. I paid since last year september/october, and by Jan when i returned to nigeria, i attempted to start foundation, then i meet this taskforce people,even with the evidence i showed them, that I have paid for the state approval, the insist to see the approval. I even called the guy rom the state office that is handling it but that could not resolve the issue. I had to give another moni. So it is a mess. [b]My Advice, get to the state taskforce in charge of the area you are building and have an understanding, so you can start otherwise, if you have to wait for the state approval, it may not come out in the next 1 year. even when you have someone in the state office (urban development office) doing it for you.[/b] mine is still not out till now.

Thanks for the advice. This is exactly what i might have to do.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by chinosxl(m): 11:39am On Jul 15, 2013
prince_onx:
What a country! There's always one useless and stupid names or the other when it comes to paying fees in Nigeria. My biggest issue with this is that even the people that work at this government office can't even explain what this fees are. I collected/got a list like that when I visited Nigeria for the processing of my C of O and when you ask what some of the fees especially those that sound alike (site inspection, site charting, site approval, building approval, construction approval) they simply tell you that "Oga everybody dey pay am or your C of O no go come out" smdh!!

You are right my brother, alot of these fees sound alike. Since payment will be made to a bank hopefully, they will give receipt for the total amount paid.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by ashaju33: 12:39pm On Jul 15, 2013
its not easy to own a housing property in ph
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by kopell: 2:20pm On Jul 15, 2013
@Prince_onx you remember I told you before you leave for Naija to process your C of O it worst when it's come to Governor consent in Lagos State. When I get home in evening I will try to post the consent fees by location of land in the state. Men if you no push envelop it may take for ever, or your file will get lost in the system oh. This is why many people keep building without C of O. I have a case that still pending in Alausa after paying all the official fee at one point the file got loss. When my partners get to the OGAs at TOP the file resurface, that was two years ago, still didn't get it yet my brother. This was after pushing the big envelops oh.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Fhemmmy: 3:27pm On Jul 15, 2013
Reporting to class to learn more . . . .

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by bugmenot: 4:44pm On Jul 15, 2013
kopell: @Prince_onx you remember I told you before you leave for Naija to process your C of O it worst when it's come to Governor consent in Lagos State. When I get home in evening I will try to post the consent fees by location of land in the state. Men if you no push envelop it may take for ever, or your file will get lost in the system oh. This is why many people keep building without C of O. I have a case that still pending in Alausa after paying all the official fee at one point the file got loss. When my partners get to the OGAs at TOP the file resurface, that was two years ago, still didn't get it yet my brother. This was after pushing the big envelops oh.

@kopell

Pls forgive my ignorance on this matter, but what's the advantage of having Governor's Consent?

My understanding is that Governor's Consent is issued to owners of individual plots in a large expanse of land for which a (global) C of O has already been issued. From personal experience (in Lagos), I know it's now a requirement for building plan approval, but where there's a global C of O already, what's the consequence of building without an approved plan?

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Ymodulus: 5:55pm On Jul 15, 2013
spyder880: This is the completed DPC. Picture taken from the back of the house.

Point of correction when the cellophane leather is over or under the slab it is called DPM- DAMP PROOF MEMBRANE. but if its on the block it is called DAMP PROOF COURSE. Beside nice work
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Ymodulus: 6:03pm On Jul 15, 2013
spyder880: a long passage,
OK i am not satisfied with this. The passage is to long. why didn't you alter the design a bit before you started the building?
Besides with this passage as long as MISSISSIPPI did you put some design conditions into play? I mean did you put natural day-lighting into consideration? Cause i think your corridor or passage will not be that bright at day.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 7:42pm On Jul 15, 2013
Ymodulus:
OK i am not satisfied with this. The passage is to long. why didn't you alter the design a bit before you started the building?
Besides with this passage as long as MISSISSIPPI did you put some design conditions into play? I mean did you put natural day-lighting into consideration? Cause i think your corridor or passage will not be that bright at day.

That concern about illumination of the internal spaces were very well taken care of, I will explain with images later.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jul 15, 2013
You dont have to be satisfied, the guy is following a plan that has been accepted by the owner of the house.

5 Likes

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by diehard(m): 7:54pm On Jul 15, 2013
@chinosxl. Some of the fees you paid are a reap off. For example the tax clearance you don't have to pay them that cos they are not responsible for collecting tax for rivers state. Any money you give to them for that is lost cos it'll not be remitted to river state internal revenue board. The two approval you need to be able to start you building are the LGA approval, but you can get this right now form the right source cos the LGA staff have not been working. The other one is the state ministry of urban development, and this one won't process ur paper with first seeing that the LGA has approved. With this approvals , you can start ur building and continue the pursuit of C of O. Half of what is on ur list is pure scam. Or you can get the services of property lawyer who know the right papers to get for you and the people authorize to issue them. I didn't pay half of what you want to pay to get this papers sorted out

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:09pm On Jul 15, 2013
Ymodulus:

A 1500mmx1700mm window is positioned right at the end of the passage.

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:11pm On Jul 15, 2013
From today's activities

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:13pm On Jul 15, 2013
windows

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:15pm On Jul 15, 2013
more work

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by kopell: 9:22pm On Jul 15, 2013
@bugmenot you right, the global C of O is for large expanse of land. That dose not mean you will get your building plan approved with your global C of O, to get your plan approved you most include the copy of the global C of O with the other relevant documents to proved right of ownership of your land. To now applied for Governor's consent on your name as owner of the part of the large land, then apply for building approver for you house. Mostly C of O are always for virgin land form omo o Nile. Do same land owners apply for their global C of O before selling there land, mostly global C of O are often issue to land developers in estate like project. When you but land with global C of O same of the development levy are already being paid before the global C of O is being issued, that save the buyer some money. You can't get building approve with global C of O.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Fhemmmy: 11:15pm On Jul 15, 2013
I am impressed at the speed of this construction . . .
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by kopell: 12:04am On Jul 16, 2013
@bugmenot you right, the global C of O is for large expanse of land. That dose not mean you could get your building plan approved with your global C of O. To get your plan approved you most include the copy of the global C of O with the other relevant documents, to proved right of ownership of your land. To now applied for Governor's consent on your name as part owner of the large land. You then apply for building approver for your house. Mostly C of O are issued once always for virgin land form omo o Nile. Do same land owners apply for their global C of O before selling there land. Mostly global C of O are often issue to land developers in estate like project. When you brought a land with global C of O same of the development levy are already being paid before the global C of O is being issued, that save the buyer some money.
PLEASE READ THIS ARTICLE.
Congratulations on finding the money to buy your plot of land or that flat/house. But don’t go parting just yet, you should make some of your investment by obtaining Governor’s consent to the transaction and registry your title at the Lands Registry. How much will this cost?

What is assessment?
The fees you will be liable to pay are percentage of the value assessed on the land or property.

You will be expected to pay a total of 13 percent of the assessment (13% is broken down as Consent fees 6%, Capital Gains Tax 2%, Stamp Duty 2% and Registry fees 3%. Note that if you are buying land which is a state allocation where the statutory allocation has been for less than 10 years, the consent fee is 12% not 6%.

The key thing to note is the assessment on your land or property. The State Government has come up with guides to help applicants have an idea of what the assessment would be. For land, it has come up with applicable rates in every location in Lagos. These rates are then multiplied by the size of the land to get the assessment. (See rates on table below)

For developed properties, it has rates for the high brow areas of Ikoyi, South west Ikoyi, Victoria Island, Victoria Island Annex, Dolphin Estate, Lekki, Parkview, Apapa and Ikeja GRA. For developed properties in other areas, the land Services Department’s Valuers prepare the assessment

Is there exception to the charges?
No, there is no exception, any individual or corporation organization who purchases property must pay the fees. If you are buying a land and the person you are buying from does not have the consent, after buying the land you are expected to get the consent with your own name, the reason is that the government can come up tomorrow and try to takeover that property from you, the government’s consent serve as your proof of ownership.

How is tax on transaction calculated?
For people who have been regular in tax paying, this should not be an issue to them. If you are buying a land and you have a proof that you have been paying your tax, then you don’t have any problem with tax on the property transaction. But if the person you are buying from had defaulted, it is either the person pay his tax or you pay on behalf of the person. If the company has been paying its tax, then there is no issue with transaction tax. For a company, it would have to show proof of tax payment. If there is a default, the company would have to pay tax of the property transaction. For an employee, he would have to show evidence that he has been paying his tax, if not he would have to pay tax of the property transaction. For the joint buyers, both of them must show evidence of taxpaying, failure would mean that would jointly pay the transaction tax. It now depends on whose name they want the tax issued, both of them can decide to share the burden equally.

Applicable rates in different locations

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by bugmenot: 1:44am On Jul 16, 2013

@kopell

Very interesting. It's probably a little bit of a risk but I know a number of people who have built houses without obtaining governor's consent especially because of the cost and wahala involved. Truth is that if the process were more straightforward and transparent, more people would be more interested in obtaining governor's consent.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by kopell: 2:24am On Jul 16, 2013
@bugmenet those day are gone, you can't get to build without consent if you have global C of O.The will not approves your building plan, it is one of the vital document to proved ownership of the land, this as being in force for about two to three years now. Put it these way, it another way of making money for the state.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by princeonx: 4:18am On Jul 16, 2013
bugmenot:

@kopell

Very interesting. It's probably a little bit of a risk but I know a number of people who have built houses without obtaining governor's consent especially because of the cost and wahala involved. Truth is that if the process were more straightforward and transparent, more people would be more interested in obtaining governor's consent.

I am one of those folks you're talking about. Project already at roofing level with first two flats downstairs completed and occupied. You are also 100% right on the process being crazy! Mine in the US (deeds of assignment/title) took about 21 days from processing all the way to delivery in the mail and all the paperwork was done and signed between me, my realtor and my bank rep in less than 2 hours.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by princeonx: 4:34am On Jul 16, 2013
kopell: @Prince_onx you remember I told you before you leave for Naija to process your C of O it worst when it's come to Governor consent in Lagos State. When I get home in evening I will try to post the consent fees by location of land in the state. Men if you no push envelop it may take for ever, or your file will get lost in the system oh. This is why many people keep building without C of O. I have a case that still pending in Alausa after paying all the official fee at one point the file got loss. When my partners get to the OGAs at TOP the file resurface, that was two years ago, still didn't get it yet my brother. This was after pushing the big envelops oh.

Bros you are very right! I also tried seeing what I can do or where I can get it to before returning to The States but things are way different in naija when you're on the ground. You force yourself to do some kind of magic for things to work or be like it is in the western world but no way. You sit with someone today and schedule a 12 O'clock appointment with them the next day and 3 hours later, they're not there! Only to call you maybe around 4pm to know if you can still turn around from your way home or come back tomorrow. I ended up handing everything to my lawyer and honestly, I'm not even comfortable saying something's or intended process here about the whole process and this were advises from both mine and my late Dad's lawyer.
On the positive side though (hopefully) is that my land is a federal land not state so according to my lawyer and process so far I am getting a C of O which they/lawyers claim is quicker, easier, cheaper, and faster than a governors concept (can someone confirm this claim pls). All the same, I'm praying, hoping, and keeping fingers crossed!
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Emperoh(m): 8:54am On Jul 16, 2013
Hey guys,

Are we not derailing this topic?

Can we set up a thread discussing the land documentation topic and enlist Lawyer's help?

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by kopell: 9:57am On Jul 16, 2013
@Prince_onx you nerve told me that your land is federal land, my brother you're in the wrong place oh. Federal housing Authority were the office that handle Federal land issues, for example Ikoye west, Aboru in Ipaja, satellite town, festac town, etc, if you have land there you have no business with Alausa. They have their office in festac that handle all the paper work. Do some years back when Tinubu was in power he was the one that introduce this WAHALA to max in revenue on most federal lands in Lagos, most have some kind of Lagos state tittles so he can raise revenue. This is why most of the land in banana Island were yet to be develop. If one look at his vies in my opinion is right, his point was that state as right to denied building permit to any building plan that as federal tittle in state according to LAND ACT OF 78 in the constitution. It's a lot of story to these, I don't like writing essay. I like to take some nap on this for now guys. I will post a link for people that apply paid for federal C OF O that don't collect them from Government thousand of them already issued years back.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by kopell: 10:36am On Jul 16, 2013
@Emperoh I'm sorry for the distraction, just trying to help brother with information.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (87) (Reply)

The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) / Buy Original Stamped Concrete Materials. / Fences And Gates In Pictures And Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.