Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,476 members, 7,897,976 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 July 2024 at 02:21 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (2302) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6082459 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2299) (2300) (2301) (2302) (2303) (2304) (2305) ... (2860) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 2:53pm On Apr 30, 2021

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Covert1: 3:07pm On Apr 30, 2021
Yagz:
Egypt's millitary 'sugar daddies' in the form of UAE and Saudi Arabia? wink wink wink Boy I'm cracking up with laughter!!!

Serioulsy though I'm green with envy - and looking forward to Nigeria one day hopefully acquiring such helpful millitary 'sugar daddies/mummies'- lol!

You cannot become a true power by being subservient. I actually prefer we go the China route to becoming self-sufficient. There's nothing like a free lunch. Those freebies come with strings attached. Saudia Arabia ultimately depends on Egypt for its survival in the event of an invasion and the US supplies Egypt as part of the peace agreement with Israel. Nigeria's Defence Intelligence Agency provides for procurement that gives it decision advantage in event of war without any strings attached. I subscribe to the school of thought of the latter.

9 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 3:18pm On Apr 30, 2021
Yagz:
Egypt's millitary 'sugar daddies' in the form of UAE and Saudi Arabia? wink wink wink Boy I'm cracking up with laughter!!!

Serioulsy though I'm green with envy - and looking forward to Nigeria one day hopefully acquiring such helpful millitary 'sugar daddies/mummies'- lol!
grin grin grin
The day will come when Egypt will have to make a foreign policy decision that advances her interests in opposition to the GCC patrons. Then the funds might dry up and maintenance of such disparate assets might become a right royal pain in the tuchus.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Yagz: 5:26pm On Apr 30, 2021
I totally agree with you my brother. I was simply speaking 'tongue -in-cheek' when referring to Nigeria getting it's own millitary 'sugar parents'- lol!

Seriously though, we should get over our 'fixation' on acquiring western millitary equipment (with the attendant strings attached/exposure to possible sanctions or embargos etc ) and look East towards countries like China and Russia for the acquisition of capital millitary platforms.

The recent purchase of the JF-17 block 2 fighter aircraft from Pakistan and the two P-18N Ocean Patrol Vessels and subsequent VT-4 Main Battle Tanks from China are a good case in point. Provided you have your money, these countries will supply you with comparatively good millitary equipment - no strings attached.

As the late Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe once said- 'the Sun RISES in the East [/b]and [b]SETS [/b]in the [b]West'

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 5:57pm On Apr 30, 2021
Yagz:
I totally agree with you my brother. I was simply speaking 'tongue -in-cheek' when referring to Nigeria getting it's own millitary 'sugar parents'- lol!

Seriously though, we should get over our 'fixation' on acquiring western millitary equipment (with the attendant strings attached/exposure to possible sanctions or embargos etc ) and look East towards countries like China and Russia for the acquisition of capital millitary platforms.

The recent purchase of the JF-17 block 2 fighter aircraft from Pakistan and the two P-18N Ocean Patrol Vessels and subsequent VT-4 Main Battle Tanks from China are a good case in point. Provided you have your money, these countries will supply you with comparatively good millitary equipment - no strings attached.

As the late Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe once said- 'the Sun RISES in the East [/b]and [b]SETS [/b]in the [b]West'

Our soldiers don't need more equipment.

What we need is good training and a standardization of procurement process.

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 6:01pm On Apr 30, 2021
Lurker4Long:
$1.3 billion a year in US military aid, plus sugar daddies in the UAE and Saudi, and Egypt's navy can stroll in the Mediterranean thus:

3× Type-209/1400mod submarines
2× Type-033 Romeo-class submarines
2× Mistral LHDs
2× FREMM Bergamini-class frigates
1× FREMM Aquitaine-class frigate
2× Gowind-class corvettes
2× Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigates

The Oliver Hazard Perry-class Frigates are hand me downs from America.

With the Egyptian military controlling more than 50% of the Egyptian economy, including gifts from rich Gulf states, they can afford to afford a lot of military equipment.

However despite the investment in hundreds of fighter jets and helicopters security in the Saini and ISIS are running rampant.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 7:37pm On Apr 30, 2021
kabe1:

The Oliver Hazard Perry-class Frigates are hand me downs from America.

With the Egyptian military controlling more than 50% of the Egyptian economy, including gifts from rich Gulf states, they can afford to afford a lot of military equipment.

However despite the investment in hundreds of fighter jets and helicopters security in the Saini and ISIS are running rampant.
Precisely why, of all the north African countries, Algeria is the only one I take seriously.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 8:42pm On Apr 30, 2021
kabe1:

You are on point brother.

The Nigerian Army need good training. They can learn from the Airforce. Sadiq Abubakar invested heavily on training of personnels and we see results.

I will still prefer FG spending more on Airforce and Navy than the Army.

The army is full of untrained and irresponsible military men.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by SuperSixSeven: 8:47pm On Apr 30, 2021
kabe1:

Sorry cannot agree here. I assume you have no military background?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by LTGEN: 9:05pm On Apr 30, 2021
kabe1:

Respectfully I disagree
They need more equipment
12 xMI-171e to ferry troops
12 more SURVEILLANCE DRONES ensure 24 hour intel over the most attacked zones
The TUSCANOS are coming.
please if you don't believe me , we need to get grid of every single think skinned Toyota hilux and yellow buckets replace them with 500APCS and
1000MRAPS.
It takes 15 years to get to MAJ -15-20 to get to LT.COL we cant keep losing LT.COLS TO IEDs

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 9:16pm On Apr 30, 2021
SuperSixSeven:

You need men with adequate training to handle military equipment. A army with good training will take on enemies handling better equipments.

The Nigerian Army is the opposite of that. BOKO HARAM don't have close to what Nigerian Army have in their bases but they still overrun the bases. That's enough evidence that Nigerian Army personnels lack quality training.

It has gotten to the point that they run from bases and donate better equipment to BOKO HARAM. They come with pickups and go back with MRAP, IFVs and Tanks.

9 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 9:25pm On Apr 30, 2021
LTGEN:

Respectfully I disagree
They need more equipment
The TUSCANOS are coming.
please if you don't believe me , we need to get grid of every single think skinned Toyota hilux and yellow buckets replace them with 500APCS and
1000MRAPS.
It takes 15 years to get to MAJ -15-20 to get to LT.COL we cant keep losing LT.COLS TO IEDs
Have you ever gone through the inventory of the Nigerian Army? If yes compare it to pick-up, RPGs, AA guns and AK-47 that book haram is carrying up and down.

The more we run from the truth the farther the reality is from us. These men are not well trained and they are very irresponsible.

Sadiq Abubakar saw this and he knew he can not trust them with security of airbases and immediately did the needful. The Air force is really doing great despite not having it all.

7 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Xbee007(m): 9:37pm On Apr 30, 2021
Nigerian Air Force bases all over the country should elevate their security measures.

Also, ground penetrating radars should be constantly used to test the areas around the bases to ensure tunnels are not being built underneath them.

Houses close to the bases should be subjected to constant impromptu searches.

MY ONE CENT!

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by LTGEN: 9:45pm On Apr 30, 2021
You don’t have enough equipment it has nothing do with Training. Period emphasis.
The US reinvented the largest Tank in the world to able to withstand an IED blast.
They scrapped the Original Hummer and reinforced it with double thick doors and Chassis.
The best trained Soldiers blown to bits because you put him in a Thin skinned Toyota Hilux is not common sense.
You need 24 Hour surveillance of ALL your Super camps and Fobs that is not an expensive it is keeping your Men alive.
You don’t Train dead Men.
A Helicopter can can carry 25 men 100Km at a Optimum speed of 100km/hr in 1hour with weapons and equipment.
You need 12 of those.
These are facts.
We need to end this War by 2022.

8 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:04pm On Apr 30, 2021
Saw this online...

According to the news report featuring the photo, NA killed some top BH commanders, so it appears that the vehicles were seized from BH.

The vehicle is an Otokar Cobra with the tires removed and mounted on a truck.

Why would BH do this?

Would this crude but ingenious weapon serve any purpose on the battlefield?

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 10:20pm On Apr 30, 2021
Lurker4Long:

Precisely why, of all the north African countries, Algeria is the only one I take seriously.

In my opinion Algeria has the most balanced military in Africa.

Right amount of equipment, training, standardized procurement and the right political backing.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 10:23pm On Apr 30, 2021
iblawi:

The Nigerian Army need good training. They can learn from the Airforce. Sadiq Abubakar invested heavily on training of personnels and we see results.

Exactly I prefer more funding for the Air Force and Navy than the army.

Until there is a dramatic shift in training and organization Air Force and Navy should get the funding.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Covert1: 10:23pm On Apr 30, 2021
iblawi:

The more we run from the truth the farther the reality is from us. This men are not well trained and they are very irresponsible.

Don't let your emotions get the better of you. Wars are not won by sensationalism. Taking one incident or isolated incidents of setback when put up against the numerous successes of the Army against BHT/ISWAP terrorists in an attempt to denigrate the sacrifices of these fine men and women of the Nigerian Army is disingenuous and does nothing to motivate the troops. I think everyone means well but ridiculing a whole army with various fighting units of different capabilities doesn't make the curve.

War is not picnic or Hollywood action movie and one reason we keep purveying this mindset on nairaland and twitterland is because we underrate the enemy. It is evident ISWAP has commando style elements in its ranks or raid parties and also what appears to be seasoned advisors. We can't keep underating these guys plus ISWAP' philosophy of battle is die at all cost and get what you want though unsustainable if the army continue to have a high rate of decimation of their ranks.

The recent incident in Mainok is ISWAP having you were they wanted and exploited the situation. They also had the element of surprise. All this kindergarten talk on Nairaland by would be arm-chair-generals who know nothing about the reality of war makes it seem like defeating an insurgency a walk in the park. It is not. If anybody thinks he is the wiser he should join the army and I can bet not 1 percent here will pass basic training.

In contact with the enemy even your training can take a back burner in the heat of things until you recover to engage that is why ambushes have been a very effective shock tool of combatants.

The onus is on us to hold territory not on them which gives them freedom of action to hit and run. One way or the other these things are gonna happen in which you have a slugfest which is what happened. To the credit of the Nigerian Army they have always gone back to avenge those losses with devastating effect, the records are there. In these engagements ISWAP may also be seeking a psychological victory beyond capturing equipment and weapons to fight another day.

The Nigerian Army is well trained and equipped for a standard army. Let's cut to the chase, do they need more training yes because in the military you train and retrain based on evolving threats, it's like acquiring education. What the argument should be is how do you tailor your doctrine to meet an adaptive, determined and almost elusive enemy.

I am not sure but it seems the doctrine of closing with the enemy and defeat it by the Nigerian Army has been jettisoned in current tactical operations especially with the Super Camps. That doctrine is outmodeled in an asymmetric environment. I'm not even sure with current technologies it is any longer applicable in a modern conventional war.

To the credit of the army it has itself adapted many times but not fast enough and that's attributable to the hierarchy of command which takes time to adopt change of battle plans. You'd appraise the performance of a new commander in say some 90 days, time also required to implement his battle plans to the threat environment. The reality is in that time there would be gaps exploited by the enemy.

Whatever ISWAP has got up its sleeves is not sustainable as the Army is still having the upper hand and bleeding them of men which has other side effects to any fighting force. Should Nigeria galvanize all elements of its national power including the media it's only a matter of time.

About needing more equipment no military ever has enough.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 10:24pm On Apr 30, 2021
SuperSixSeven:

"I assume you don't see the monumental gains in fielding a well trained army?".

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 10:30pm On Apr 30, 2021
LTGEN:

Respectfully I disagree
They need more equipment
The TUSCANOS are coming.
1000MRAPS.

All these equipment would result to nothing if the troops to man them are poorly trained and organized.

It's not rocket science, it's not about buying equipment.

Just this week, we saw brand new MRAPs, not yet driven captured by the insurgents. Not only did they capture them, they went on to attack and dislodge an outpost defended by a T-55 and BTR-4E.

7 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Covert1: 10:34pm On Apr 30, 2021
LTGEN:
You don’t have enough equipment it has nothing do with Training. Period emphasis.
The US reinvented the largest Tank in the world to able to withstand an IED blast.
They scrapped the Original Hummer and reinforced it with double thick doors and Chassis.
The best trained Soldiers blown to bits because you put him in a Thin skinned Toyota Hilux is not common sense.
You need 24 Hour surveillance of ALL your Super camps and Fobs that is not an expensive it is keeping your Men alive.
A Helicopter can can carry 25 men 100Km at a Optimum speed of 100km/hr in 1hour with weapons and equipment.
You need 12 of those.
These are facts.
Some points right here
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Covert1: 10:46pm On Apr 30, 2021
kabe1:

All these equipment would result to nothing if the troops to man them are poorly trained and organized.

Just this week, we saw brand new MRAPs, not yet driven captured by the insurgents. Not only did they capture them, they went on to attack and dislodge an outpost defended by a T-55 and BTR-4E.

Someone made a mistake. It's an embarrassing setback but I don't think it reflects poorly on the troops I think rather it shows the ingenuity of the enemy and we should adjust accordingly. Whatever training you bring onboard will still be tested and bested by an enemy seeking to survive. It's both ways training and equipment.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Covert1: 10:58pm On Apr 30, 2021
kabe1:

"I assume you don't see the monumental gains in fielding a well trained army?".

I presume if we disband the Nigerian Army today or utterly change its profile we may see the irony of this statement. We can raise a new branch of fighting forces like the US marines with a whole different concept of fighting to help the army.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Covert1: 11:10pm On Apr 30, 2021
NIGERIAN ARMY RENAMES OPERATION IN THE NORTH EAST, SEEKS INCLUSIVENESS

The Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Lieutenant General Ibrahim Attahiru has approved the renaming of the ongoing Counterinsurgency Operation in the North East from Operation Lafiya Dole (OPLD) to Operation Hadin Kai (OPHK). This is premised on the fact that the Nigerian Army (NA) has made a lot of progress over the years and needs to re-align for better efficiency. Also affected in the re-designation are the Army Super Camps which now reflect the nomenclature of the formations and units followed by the name of the locations they occupy while sub-units are redesigned as Forward Operating Bases (FOBs) followed by the name of their locations. All these changes are with immediate effect.

The renaming is in line with the COAS Vision of having "A Nigerian Army that is Repositioned to Professionally Defeat all Adversaries in a Joint Environment". It is the believe of the COAS that the complete defeat of insurgency is a process that requires the participation of the entire nation using all elements of national power. He further assured that the NA under his leadership will continue to pursue the path of jointness in prosecuting the counterinsurgency war.

Mohammed Yerima
Brigadier General
Director Army Public Relations
30 April 2021
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Covert1: 11:14pm On Apr 30, 2021
Following the above its game time. First it was the Air Chief now its the Army Chief both saying the same thing. Effectively DHQ owns this war.

Let's see how this plays out with critical analysis. I have a good feeling of Gen. Irabor in the saddle.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:09am On May 01, 2021
iblawi:

Should I tell you about Naruto, Ahmed and Papa Yaw ? grin

You just soil my mood ! I missed a hole tying my kaka
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:17am On May 01, 2021
LTGEN:
You need 12 of those.
These are facts.

Solid wink

But it can't end in 2022 grin
It will never end I am afraid. So much business in it now my dear sir.
A course mate friend of another friend of a distant friend grin grin grin once yap about detailing 3 Landers loaded with cash...raw kwan my dear sir from ABJ to MDG undecided
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Whyem15: 5:33am On May 01, 2021
kabe1:

I honestly pray it's training Sha, because that can be rectified almost instantly once we are ready. There are several contractors around the world offering very efficient training for a little bit of money. In fact, if we beg well, US/UK will be willing to train our recruits for free for some time.
But my concern and query being lack of motivation, lack of trust between troops and officers and very low morale can ruin the army forever if not quickly tackled from the root cause.

The weapons are deliberately being abandoned!!
The terrorists are far more ill-trained and far more ill-equipped than NA troops yet you hardly see them abandoning important assets. From the video NAF released of the attack on marte, you could even see them trying to tow some of their guntrucks that could still be repaired away even while NAF assets were hovering overhead.

https://twitter.com/DefenceInfoNG/status/1350823813345386496?s=19
Exactly 1:16

The war has continued for far too long and some officers and other powerful people have made fortunes while troops sacrifice their lives on the frontlines. It started with civilians "advising" soldiers not to sacrifice their lives for some people's pockets on social media, now we are reaping the effects.
Dasuki and others with overwhelming evidence against them are walking freely while colleagues of troops on the frontlines are six feet underground when they are lucky. Some were just left to rot away where they died. There are several who fought and are now handicapped/impaired and what for?

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:37am On May 01, 2021
kabe1:
NNS Lana handover video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOGDlMXW4JU

Look at them boys looking prim prim grin with their pleated khakis ! cheesy

One time one fish man for Navy screw up so bad they send him up north with specific instructions... wink
He was thrown straight in my unit grin
Man came the next morning on ground 8 with his neat and nice looking camo grin
He became a butt joke ! Who wears ironed camo to the frontlines !
Then we went to the range (Ali's). Turns out he never fired beyond 3 times all his life. And then with very crude trigger IQ and useless muzzle awareness!
I send his ass back to command. Cant be dodging bullets from the enemy and also from my man grin

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:44am On May 01, 2021
True, NA needs more of modern, strategic training than equipment. They're irresponsible.

Academy need to focus more on technical and skilled training than all those torture and punishment they do most in academy in the name of training.

Let's not deceive our selves, they are not so skilled. They are only wicked. And wickedness doesn't win war. There wickedness has only help them in civilian space during peace keeping.

Take hostages and NA will have to dance to your tune because they don't have the skill for such op.

If you buy more equipment, they will still lost it to the enemies. After all the terrorists that are taking on them don't have half of equipment they have.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:50am On May 01, 2021
abiodunalasa:

Look at them boys looking prim prim grin with their pleated khakis ! cheesy

One time one fish man for Navy screw up so bad they send him up north with specific instructions... wink
He was thrown straight in my unit grin
Man came the next morning on ground 8 with his neat and nice looking camo grin
He became a butt joke ! Who wears ironed camo to the frontlines !
Then we went to the range (Ali's). Turns out he never fired beyond 3 times all his life. And then with very crude trigger IQ and useless muzzle awareness!
I send his ass back to command. Cant be dodging bullets from the enemy and also from my man grin

grin grin grin I can't stop laughing abeg. Prim prim khaki grin

Do they post NN guys to land Frontline too?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 9:56am On May 01, 2021
Covert1:

I presume if we disband the Nigerian Army today or utterly change its profile we may see the irony of this statement. We can raise a new branch of fighting forces like the US marines with a whole different concept of fighting to help the army.

We don't need to raise a new branch of fighting forces, we already have to many armed individuals parading across Nigeria with conflicting mandates.

72 MSF and AFSF shouldn't have been disbanded. One would think that AFSF and 72 MSF would have grown in capacity by now.

We cannot keep buying equipment and sending to the army, then that equipment ends up in the hands of the insurgents. It's counter-productive.

You lose equipment in war, but the high rate of loss of equipment in the army is abnormal.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2299) (2300) (2301) (2302) (2303) (2304) (2305) ... (2860) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.