Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,251 members, 7,887,720 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 12:51 PM

An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria (40171 Views)

See What An Indian Expatriate Wrote About Nigeria / Nigeria Decides: Presidential Elections Prediction With Indepth Analysis. / Real Cost Of Fuel - An Indepth Analysis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by jamesibor: 9:29pm On Aug 22, 2013
Maxymilliano: Nigeria is not corrupt, Nigerians are.

Nigeria is not dirty, Nigerians are.

Nigeria is not cruel, Nigerians are.

Nigeria is not hopeless, Nigerians are.

Nigeria is not tribalistic, Nigerians are.

It is just so unfair for us to expect Nigeria to change without Nigerians changing

... Pastor Sam Adeyemi
On point.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:36pm On Aug 22, 2013
Rossikk:

Thank you. So because we have not turned to Japan or Germany, it means we've made no progress? For your information on many things you mentioned we have improved, such as infant mortality rates, poverty rates, and even access to clean drinking water. Evidence:

http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/nigeria_statistics.html

Even the World Bank the other day admitted that poverty was reducing in Nigeria. What about the roads and rail? What about communications? Was it not under the military that all the infrastructure crumbled, something we're now fixing to great acclaim by Nigerians? Will your foreign visitor/writer know any of this? Afterall he just pops in and out and can write anything.

poverty rates have not improved, you beast. They are much worse and staring us all right in the face. What is wrong with you?!

12 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Kairoseki77: 9:46pm On Aug 22, 2013
This man has a distorted view of Naija from working in the oil and gas industry. We ALL know that the Nigerian oil industry is one of the most corrupt institutions on planet earth. If I worked in oil and gas, and then encountered minor corruption out of the office, I would come to the same conclusion as the author - that we are hopelessly and desperately corrupt.

Outside of the oil and gas industry (and politics), Nigerians are much less corrupt. Money changers are a good example. The main driver for petty corruption is the massive poverty rate. The main cause of the poverty rate is lack of power. As someone heavily involved in Nigerian business, it is dam.n near impossible to to anything at all in a country with no power. It is 2013, and most modern business ventures need at least 24 hour power to even have a hope of succeeding. Try running even a simple grocery store without power, and you will see the challenge. Manufacturing is impossible!

It is not true that Nigeria hasn't improved. I can list over a 100 things in Lagos that have improved in the past two years alone.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by jamesibor: 9:49pm On Aug 22, 2013
BoboYekini: poverty rates have not improved, you beast. They are much worse and staring us all right in the face. What is wrong with you?!
If yours haven't improved, pele! Most people I know have had improvements in their standard of living.

2 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by luvmijeje(f): 9:54pm On Aug 22, 2013
Cry me an ocean! The guy just sat down in a place and started analyzing rubbish! Oyinbo, I don't believe you added anything as you wrote but I don't blame you if not for those that sees you guyz as mini gods at our expense.

1 Like

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:32pm On Aug 22, 2013
luvmijeje: Cry me an ocean! The guy just sat down in a place and started analyzing rubbish! Oyinbo, I don't believe you added anything as you wrote but I don't blame you if not for those that sees you guyz as mini gods at our expense.

Why would he cry you an ocean? He comes from a first world, industrialized nation and has a high powered career travelling round the world. Who should care more: you living in denial or him telling you what every rational person that isn't deluded knows about your utterly hopeless country?

30 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by ono(m): 10:36pm On Aug 22, 2013
Obi1kenobi:

Why would he cry you an ocean? He comes from a first world, industrialized nation and has a high powered career travelling round the world. Who should care more: you living in denial or him telling you what every rational person that isn't deluded knows about your utterly hopeless country?

biko, tell am o!

3 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by fr3do(m): 10:44pm On Aug 22, 2013
He just disected Nigeria intoto.
Its painful
Nigerians need to change
Nigerians need to be honest
we also need science,too many arts and social science students

3 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by jamesibor: 10:45pm On Aug 22, 2013
Why hasn't this hit the front page? Is it because it was posted by james_ibor?
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by ba7man(m): 11:11pm On Aug 22, 2013
If there was a way this post could be summarized without affecting the key message, it deserves to be on FP. All Nigerians need to read this.

This is a neutral point of view and its also the truth. The truth is always bitter but its acceptance leads to improvement.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by jamesibor: 11:21pm On Aug 22, 2013
ba7man: If there was a way this post could be summarized without affecting the key message, it deserves to be on FP. All Nigerians need to read this.

This is a neutral point of view and its also the truth. The truth is always bitter but its acceptance leads to improvement.
Summarising it will not only make the article less interesting but also take away some salient points and messages. Every paragraph seem to carry a specific message.

5 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by ono(m): 11:45pm On Aug 22, 2013
james_ibor: Summarising it will not only make the article less interesting but also take away some salient points and messages. Every paragraph seem to carry a specific message.

Indeed bro, indeed. I have taken the pains to read the write up about 3 times now. Every time I read it, I get new information about Naija again. Kai! This is serious.

3 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by jamesibor: 11:54pm On Aug 22, 2013
ono:

Indeed bro, indeed. I have taken the pains to read the write up about 3 times now. Every time I read it, I get new information about Naija again. Kai! This is serious.
And yet the Mods don't deem it fit for front page. Within the time I suggested this thread for front page and now, threads like Amosun launches taxi cabs and gay guy beaten and arrested have made the front page.

2 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by DoffMan2: 12:37am On Aug 23, 2013
BoboYekini: poverty rates have not improved, you beast. They are much worse and staring us all right in the face. What is wrong with you?!

Aid improvement by ceasing this unnecessarily vile name calling angry
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:16am On Aug 23, 2013
Kamanda: Naija is DOOMED

It's not doomed yet. People just need to take constructive critism and improve on the red.

@Topic, wow this is sad for Africa. We all need an awakening of some sort. Gees, what happened to black pride? A few at the top can cause multitudes to resort to survival tactics.
Nigerians you have the power to change what you do not like.
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by luvmijeje(f): 2:06am On Aug 23, 2013
Obi1kenobi:

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:36am On Aug 23, 2013
I came to the conclusion about 2 years into my assignment that Nigeria is probably the only genuinely classless society I have seen. Class is very different from wealth. Upper class people can be dirt poor (bankrupt dukes) and lower class people can be fabulously rich (Russian oligarchs). Class is about behaviour and attitudes, not wealth (a point made very well in Kate Fox’s excellent book Watching the English). And insofar as behaviour goes, I didn’t see a shred of difference between the top politicians, down through the officials in the national authorities, through the middle class professionals, through the service providers, right down to the area boys. The behaviour was identical across all strata: I want more money, and I will do absolutely anything to get it. If you were to replace the politicians – let’s say our 109 senators from before – with 109 random people from the Nigerian citizenry, you would get no change in behaviour. You could repeat the experiment a thousand times, and you would get no change. There is no ruling class in Nigeria, there is just a set of rulers. Where any change is expected to come from I don’t know.

This!
My feelings for Nigeria have been succinctly stated by this man. I really do not miss 'home'. I call my migration 'the great escape'. I prefer order and peace in my life.

10 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by luvmijeje(f): 2:39am On Aug 23, 2013
Obi1kenobi:

Hopeless country? He is still coming back to the same hopeless country in 3 months time to do bussiness.
We all knew our biggest problem is corruption. Majority of what he wrote is not news. I can even do better by summarising the issues he listed- LACK OF POLITICAL WILL BY THE CITIZENS AND RULING CLASS TO DO THE RIGHT THING.
The issue I have with this write-up, is him making it a statement of fact that Nigerians prefer military rule. For christ sake the guy didn't see anything good about this country. The one he wrote seem patronising.
Mod, pls don't take it to fp, we don't need more of them reading it and turning expert over-night on issues concerning Nigerians.

5 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Rossikk(m): 2:51am On Aug 23, 2013

Poverty is staring you in the face and you have time and money to post on NL. The poverty mustn't be too bad then. Ode oshi.

2 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Rossikk(m): 2:58am On Aug 23, 2013
james_ibor: If yours haven't improved, pele! Most people I know have had improvements in their standard of living.

It is little things that let you know there've been improvements in living standards. For instance, these days when some of us return to the village for christmas etc, we rarely see all those naked children with no shoes of yesteryear. Now even the 'poor' ones dress reasonably well and look well fed. This is due to both improved profits for farmers/rural workers, and the fact that many villagers now have relatives living and thriving in the cities, overseas etc, leading to income diffusion/redistribution.

3 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:28am On Aug 23, 2013
This should be called:
"An exact summary of the Nigerian society".

A very coherent and concise article on the general behaviour and attitudes of nigerians. China Achebe and Wole Soyinka couldn't have done a better job.

I just kept on nodding my head in agreement to every paragraph in the article.

A discerning nigerian cannot dispute what the write said. This is us, this is our country, this is our society regardless of our tribe or religion.

8 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by bankoleben(m): 5:27am On Aug 23, 2013
This reminds me of an article I wrote a few months ago:- HOLIER THAN THOU: The Nigerians' Hypocritical Story

bankoleben: 'Our leaders are selfish!' 'We only have self-serving Governors'. 'The President is corrupt!' How many times have you heard those statements from Nigerians? We are quick to put blames solely on the leaders. We blame everyone else but us for our misfortune. It's them when things go wrong. We seem comfortable living in denial. We pretend to be blind to the foundational truth of the causes of bad governance we have in our society today.

The bitter truth everyone seems to be running away from is that the leaders we have today are just the true reflection of the Nigerian state. The difference? They have only gotten a bigger platform, a higher office to do what what most Nigerians would do - use every paraphernalia of public office to pursue selfish interest. Isn't it funny that the same set of people - head teachers and Principals that have mismanaged their school resources, student leaders who have sold out their conscience on the altar of Mammon, leaders of small groups who have not been accountable for the little committed to their hands - all complain about bad leaders, when in fact, they could be worse if they lay their hands on higher offices. We have too numerous pretenders these days, masquerading as democrats.

Where are the Labaran Makus of yesteryears? Or shall we ask of the outspoken Reuben Abatis of not too long ago? We all know the stories. Just make your voice heard, and when the opportunities come, you grab them. Is that not what we have around us today?

A lot has been said about corruption in Nigeria and what it has degenerated to. Our President recently claimed that the issue of corruption is exaggerated. In my opinion, I think it is much worse than we think. Many years ago, towards the end of the military era of the 1990s, I had a conversation with one of my childhood friends that I still remember vividly till date. We were primary school kids playing around one evening in my village when the issue of governance popped up. We all agreed that the leaders of that time were 'bad', and to an innocent kid, bad is bad. But then, my friend asked if I wouldn't 'swallow money' (a direct translation of what he said in Yoruba) if I occupied such position. My response was simple and straight forward: No way! I was however startled with what he said afterwards. He said he would 'swallow money'. That's how low our fatherland has fallen! The seed of corruption has long been planted in our hearts and entrenched in our culture, and now it has matured and producing fruits in multiple folds.

Everyone is part of this problem. When somebody gets into a public office his family and friends expect him to build bigger houses and acquire new cars. He is termed stupid if he doesn't. And the same people who mount such pressure on them to steal complain about bad governance.

We are in a fix and urgently need a way out. Do we go for a revolution? Well, Rotimi Amaechi said the other day that Nigerians are not ready for a revolution, and I can't agree more. Revolution in Nigeria - as we have it today - will only succeed in removing a set of corrupt leaders and enthroning a new set of corrupt, perhaps more brutal leaders. We need a change, but that change must start in the hearts of individuals. When that is done, even the most brutal and corrupt leaders would find no hiding place among us. Anything short of this, a million revolutions would change nothing. A vivid example of this is Egypt. They wanted a change, they wanted freedom, but what did they get after sending Mubarak away? A new set of leaders that are even more dictatorial and restrictive than the previous administration. We must not commit the same mistake. There are many people who are only interested in using the masses to meet their selfish interest.

Are our leaders corrupt? Certainly! And so are many of us. Until individuals, who are the constituents of the larger society change nothing changes. Our destiny is in our own hand. Each time we vote based on sentiments or don't ask the right questions, we demonstrate our approval for such inept leadership. We are our own problem, and only we can solve it. The ball is, and has always been in our court!

https://www.nairaland.com/1292428/holier-than-thou-nigerians-hypocritical

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by 99cent: 6:04am On Aug 23, 2013
the mere fact that we have these British expat workers is also one of the things wrong with Nigeria.
And like he admitted in his own words, most of them are "hopelessly unqualified."
Yes he will return for another 3+ yrs not because he likes the place but because he knows he will be making a HELL of a lot of MONEY in the oil and gas industry as a British expat. This is at the expense of local Nigerians. He's part of the people he is pointing fingers at.

other than that, who doesn't know that Nigeria is corrupt? pls tell us something new. shior

1 Like

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by osaroodion(m): 6:31am On Aug 23, 2013
Mod don't even dare put this shitty article in the front page. What learner the op is. Just onlined all negative things he isn't sure of. Bias analysis. It could be true to an extent but a more objective analysis wud av been fair.

I repeat #no front page mod#

2 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by ImHotepX: 6:33am On Aug 23, 2013
Damn son!!

What a country cesspit! undecided

1 Like

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:39am On Aug 23, 2013

6 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by ba7man(m): 6:40am On Aug 23, 2013
This shouldn't be for Nairaland front page alone, its looks like a compulsory article for the Nigerian newspapers.

5 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by 99cent: 6:47am On Aug 23, 2013
ba7man: If there was a way this post could be summarized without affecting the key message, it deserves to be on FP. All Nigerians need to read this.

how is it neutral? it is 100% negative.

yet he is going back! this begs the question: how much is he being paid to work in Nigeria? millions of dollars, I bet. he seems like a greedy, corrupt one himself. He already said that he is used to the system. I bet he likes the system.

6 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by ono(m): 6:48am On Aug 23, 2013
Why on earth is this not in the front page yet?? EVERY living Nigerian on planet earth MUST read this article urgently!

3 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by 99cent: 6:50am On Aug 23, 2013
ono: Why on earth is this not in the front page yet?? EVERY living Nigerian on planet earth MUST read this article urgently!

how will it change Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by ayox2003: 6:51am On Aug 23, 2013
Inasmuch as I hate non-africans telling stories about Africa, I will not disagree with the writer.

Sadly, those who said we would be 180million by 2015 some 40years ago made another forecast. By 2050, we would be about 400million and 800million by 2080, so una never see anything. 40 years ago a Bachelors degree will get you a great life. Now even Ph.D dey drive trucks. Imagine how 2050 would be like, if this sh't continues.

Have a long-term plan/investment for your kids - its called productive paranoia! Harsh years lie ahead!!! Hold your governors, senators and the president responsible - they already have more than enough and till they're dead they would be on govts payroll!!! So don't be a blind optimist!!!

Frawzey

9 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:59am On Aug 23, 2013

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Oil-rich Nigeria Is Ready To Implode. There's One Way To Stop It- Financial Post / Thousands Follow Atiku To The Palace Of Lamido Of Adamawa / Short & Deceitful Little Imps Osinbajo Is Sick, His Nightmare Just Started – FFK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.