Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,254 members, 7,887,730 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 01:00 PM

An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria (40172 Views)

See What An Indian Expatriate Wrote About Nigeria / Nigeria Decides: Presidential Elections Prediction With Indepth Analysis. / Real Cost Of Fuel - An Indepth Analysis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Lordlexy: 4:05pm On Aug 23, 2013
Anyone exonerating himself from this classic, indepth article has proven how hopeless he is. We can be sincere with ourselves, we all know were the solutions lies. It takes an objective leader to lead and the governed will follow. Getting Nigerians to be law abiding is never a problem as we are known to be easily governed. Pdp and their followers like Rossiki, insincere9eria and a bunch of ppl from the s/s and s/e presently constitute majority of the problem since unfortunately, many of them have resorted to embrace mediocrity than genuine transformation. Corruption has long exist but the degree now alarming. Pls, i'm trying to be tribalistic and i beg your indulgence, but after going through many thread here, i realise that ppl from the two region i mentioned above had done nothing but to add injury to our wounds by constantly backing the gov't that has instituted corruption. Also, in as much as vices cut across every tribe and individuals, it is appalling that 8 out of every crime commited within and outside the country are from the s/e ppl. Desperation for a quick cash is almost turning into a culture among them, yet we have very honest ones among them. In a nut shell, bad leadership has been the causes of the vices. We must team up to butt the ruling pdp. We must vote individual on the basis of merit and not base on party.

4 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Lordlexy: 4:06pm On Aug 23, 2013
Anyone exonerating himself from this classic, indepth article has proven how hopeless he is. If we can be sincere with ourselves, we all know were the solutions lies. It takes an objective leader to lead and the governed will follow. Getting Nigerians to be law abiding is never a problem as we are known to be easily governed. Pdp and their followers like Rossiki, insincere9eria and a bunch of ppl from the s/s and s/e presently constitute majority of the problem since unfortunately, many of them have resorted to embrace mediocrity than genuine transformation. Corruption has long exist but the degree now alarming. Pls, i'm trying to be tribalistic and i beg your indulgence, but after going through many thread here, i realise that ppl from the two region i mentioned above had done nothing but to add injury to our wounds by constantly backing the gov't that has instituted corruption. Also, in as much as vices cut across every tribe and individuals, it is appalling that 8 out of every crime commited within and outside the country are from the s/e ppl. Desperation for a quick cash is almost turning into a culture among them, yet we have very honest ones among them. In a nut shell, bad leadership has been the causes of the vices. We must team up to butt the ruling pdp. We must vote individual on the basis of merit and not base on party.

1 Like

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:06pm On Aug 23, 2013
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by jamesibor: 4:16pm On Aug 23, 2013
Dike Chimezie: @Op,u would have told us we are in for a marathon.I read,slept off,woked up to continue but decided to scroll down to see d lenght of d remainder but amazingly realised that i have not gone halfway.
Then i paused to ask myself if the stress is worth it - then came to a conclusion that it dosen't especially when it is coming from a foreigner who with due respect knows scarcely about Nigeria and Nigerians.
I rest my case.
Typical of a Nigerian. If you didn't care to read the article, why bother commenting at all? Unfortunately for you, this foreigner seems to know Nigeria more than any Nigerian does.

3 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Rossikk(m): 4:19pm On Aug 23, 2013
^^^He knows more about Nigeria than YOU do. Speak for yourself, slaveboy.

2 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by jamesibor: 4:47pm On Aug 23, 2013
Rossikk: ^^^He knows more about Nigeria than YOU do. Speak for yourself, slaveboy.
Stop overworking yourself mate. Apart from saying that there's been no improvement in the last decade, every other aspect of the article especially on the attitude of Nigerians is spot on.

It has got nothing to do with the government of the day.

You call me slave boy but you are probably posting this using a device manufactured by the 'oyibo'

4 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Obi1kenobi(m): 4:52pm On Aug 23, 2013
Lordlexy: Anyone exonerating himself from this classic, indepth article has proven how hopeless he is. If we can be sincere with ourselves, we all know were the solutions lies. It takes an objective leader to lead and the governed will follow. Getting Nigerians to be law abiding is never a problem as we are known to be easily governed. Pdp and their followers like Rossiki, insincere9eria and a bunch of ppl from the s/s and s/e presently constitute majority of the problem since unfortunately, many of them have resorted to embrace mediocrity than genuine transformation. Corruption has long exist but the degree now alarming. Pls, i'm trying to be tribalistic and i beg your indulgence, but after going through many thread here, i realise that ppl from the two region i mentioned above had done nothing but to add injury to our wounds by constantly backing the gov't that has instituted corruption. Also, in as much as vices cut across every tribe and individuals, it is appalling that 8 out of every crime commited within and outside the country are from the s/e ppl. Desperation for a quick cash is almost turning into a culture among them, yet we have very honest ones among them. In a nut shell, bad leadership has been the causes of the vices. We must team up to butt the ruling pdp. We must vote individual on the basis of merit and not base on party.
What a cretin. Turned what should have been a fine critique of our national mess into an avenue for ethnic bashing. People of the SE commit 8 out of 10 crimes within and outside Nigeria? Stats that you concocted in your toilet, abi? So, we vote and support corrupt politicians while you vote and support the angelic, irreproachable altruists in Tinubu and his cronies and family, abi? Always funny seeing people like you ascribe phoney virtues to themselves and demonizing others in a crude herd mentality.

3 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 5:10pm On Aug 23, 2013
ooseven:
Always remember that India was colonized as well, but their citizens are all over the world, while their country is an IT and pharmaceutical powerhouse.

The IT and pharmaceutical powerhouse is also renown for being the filthiest place in the world, and the country with the highest concentration of poor people.
As celebrated on this thread.

Also, the guy is so outraged by Nigeria, yet he didn't quit and fade after one month. He stayed on for 3 years and quietly collected the expat bread. undecided

My take? Yes we got problems in Nigeria. But na we country. Filthy pig, yeah. But it's our pig. angry
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:15pm On Aug 23, 2013
AjanleKoko:

The IT and pharmaceutical powerhouse is also celebrated as the filthiest place in the world.
As celebrated on this thread.

Also, the guy is so outraged by Nigeria, yet he didn't quit and fade after one month. He stayed on for 3 years and quietly collected the expat bread. undecided

Na today? angry

No mind the dem. I have a lot of them as friends. While some of what Tim Newman posted is correct, the fact still remains that most of the expats who work in Nigeria chose to do so. I know how much extra per diem and day rates this guys get. He obviously forgot to mention that he "enjoyed" every bit of the jumbo pay that he got for those 3 years. Jumbo pay tha he CAN NOT get even in Saudi or Oman.
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 5:17pm On Aug 23, 2013
A-town:

No mind the dem. I have a lot of them as friends. While some of what Tim Newman posted is correct, the fact still remains that most of the expats who work in Nigeria chose to do so. I know how much extra per diem and day rates this guys get. He obviously forgot to mention that he "enjoyed" every bit of the jumbo pay that he got for those 3 years. Jumbo pay tha he CAN NOT get even in Saudi or Oman.
It's funny how you guyz always tend to shift the goal post thereby derailing the message. The guy obviously remained in Nigeria because of his work and what he was getting from it but that's not his focus on this article. His focus is on the corruption that has raped the Nigerian establishment. It's either you agree with him or you don't.

5 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 5:19pm On Aug 23, 2013
Afam4eva:
It's funny how you guyz always tend to shift the goal post thereby derailing the message. The guy obviously remained in Nigeria because of his work and what he was getting from it but that's not his focus on this article. His focus is on the corruption that has raped the Nigerian establishment. It's either you agree with him or you don't.

We're not interested in his opinion. His opinion did not stop him from earning the dosh for 3 years, so why should we care?
How is he different from former Senator Akinyede who admitted 'Yes we are overpaid', after leaving the Senate for 6 years?
He should go suck on something jare. angry

1 Like

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Obi1kenobi(m): 5:22pm On Aug 23, 2013
james_ibor: Stop overworking yourself mate. Apart from saying that there's been no improvement in the last decade, every other aspect of the article especially on the attitude of Nigerians is spot on.

You call me slave boy but you are probably posting this using a device manufactured by the 'oyibo'
The foreigner was also right in the bolded. A few things may improve but this is negatively compensated by worsening standards in others. Compared to the military era of Abacha, there is lower power generation wattage, lower (or rather, next to no) crude refining capacity, higher unemployment than ever, far greater insecurity (both political and civil) and the endemic corruption among the political class is at its peak. For goodness sake, 400,000 barrels of crude are stolen daily despite the scandalous billions wasted on Dokubo, Tompolo and co for security and no one bats an eyelid. Even education standards are falling with all the WAEC releases despite the proliferation of more substandard universities. This country is an embarrassing shambles despite the as.s-kissing sycophants and paid go.ons that say otherwise. That fella is 99% right.

1 Like

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 5:23pm On Aug 23, 2013
AjanleKoko:

We're not interested in his opinion. His opinion did not stop him from earning the dosh for 3 years, so why should we care?
How is he different from former Senator Akinyede who admitted 'Yes we are overpaid', after leaving the Senate for 6 years?
He should go suck on something jare. angry
You don't away the baby with the bath water. Is what he has said true or false? leave his person out of it. If we continue to exhibit this egoistical disposition towards national issues then the problem will not even be half solved. It's until we accept the reality irrespective of whose mouth it's coming that the country can be redeemed.

2 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 5:32pm On Aug 23, 2013
Afam4eva:
You don't away the baby with the bath water. Is what he has said true or false? leave his person out of it. If we continue to exhibit this egoistical disposition towards national issues then the problem will not even be half solved. It's until we accept the reality irrespective of whose mouth it's coming that the country can be redeemed.

What reality do you need a British overpaid expat to bring home to you? Is it not the same Nigeria that we live in?
We don't need his sermonizing or sanctimonious sympathy, thanks very much.
You better stop getting high over every piece of junk you read about Nigeria on the Internet. Worse things are written about countries like Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, Russia, China, etc., every day, by these same fooking Westerners. Yet they are happy to accept our collective stolen monies, chase after our natural resources, and collaborate with our corrupt rulers, while doing their best to run down the morale of the people with some useless opinionated bullshyt.

If you have personal self-esteem issues, and can't handle Naija, get the hell out to Cameroun, and start your blog from there. A lot of you don't even know what's going on. Some of us deal with these oyinbo goats on a daily, and we are not impressed, thank you very much.

3 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by GooseBaba: 5:49pm On Aug 23, 2013
The Op's points are valid, spot on and what not..

The question I have for my beloved brethren and fellow Nigerian. Why must we lose our minds when a foreigner points out the obvious. Some praise this foreigners like mad dogs. Try writing the obvious about Europeans and American and see if they give a rats tail.

We need to hold ourselves responsible for the rot that belittles our collective existence. Nigerians at home needs to shed the cloak of blind patriotism while Nigerian abroad must shed the cloak of borrowed pride. Then maybe we can speak with one voice that transcends beyond our tribalism, religious madness and selfishness.

2 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:54pm On Aug 23, 2013
This had the effect of drowning every other form of enterprise and ensuring that oil and gas was the only game in town.  This is bad in itself, but by no means unique to Nigeria.  What was worse is that this quickly instilled a mentality across Nigeria that there was a lot of money up for grabs, and getting your hands on it wasn’t in any way related to honest efforts or applying yourself to something constructive.

Oh my God!! This man just described Nigerians perfectly!!
Please lets tell ourselves the truth...
If we can only accept we are sick then we can think of ways to cure it!! he made so many true points that every nigerian know!! He dint add pepper neither did he add magi to his story like others,, our comments here shld be how we can cure this sickness !!
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:56pm On Aug 23, 2013
Afam4eva:

You missed the part where i noted "some of his points may be right"
Anyway, i'm particularly interested in this because i work with most of these guys and their condescending attitude infuriates me a lot. Do you know how many times i have told some of this guys to shut the feck up in an office conversation? They keep travelling on rotations back to naija on company paid business class tickets, get treated like millionaires and everytime we talk, all they want to tell me is about how bad Nigeria is. My first response is always: get the FECKK out of there if you don't like it. As always, they shut up. By the way, they have a choice. Nigeria is considered high-risk and no employer will fire you if you refuse.

We know Nigeria is bad. I don't need an Overpaid expatriate telling me that nonsense. Tell Tim Newman to go to the UK and demand what he was earning with Total in naija and see if they won't biiitch slap him all the way to burundi.
Also, he talks as if he's all that. He barely has 10years experience and we won't "hear word". Talking about how he's made an impact blah blah blah. Abeg go siddon. What will the expats that have 30years now yarn.

1 Like

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Tantoo: 6:06pm On Aug 23, 2013
Amazing how people are prepared to avoid the issue at hand and start looking at side issues. I didnt have to read the entire post to get the gist. Yes na Oyibo boy talk am, but what he said is the truth, the Truth that the vast majority of Nigerians fail to accept. There is a saying "Above all else, to Thy own self be true". Nigerians everywhere we go, we are content and satisfied to live in our filth. Where is the logic and sense in self deceit, or has the writer said anything which isnt true? who benefits if we continue to live this way. Not even those defending the status quo can declare that they are immune from the wahala in that country and beyond. I hear people constantly saying that things will get better, how can they when as a people we struggle to have a unified definition of what is Right or Wrong. Always prepared to make stupid senseless excuses.

Yes na Oyibo Boy talk am, But I accept that his observation is correct

1 Like

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by ba7man(m): 7:04pm On Aug 23, 2013
If you don't know what your problem is, how will you solve it??

True, positive things are happening in Nigeria as we speak but the points raised will continue to stain/slow down these achievements.

You are supposed to read the post, reflect, redefine yourself and move on with life.

For starters there are more important things to do on this forum than E-fighting over political affiliation and tribal bigotry. I'm out......I'll figure the rest out as i go.

Hey!!....Tonto Dike made front page again.
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Rossikk(m): 7:07pm On Aug 23, 2013
Tantoo: Amazing how people are prepared to avoid the issue at hand and start looking at side issues. I didnt have to read the entire post to get the gist. Yes na Oyibo boy talk am, but what he said is the truth, the Truth that the vast majority of Nigerians fail to accept. There is a saying "Above all else, to Thy own self be true". Nigerians everywhere we go, we are content and satisfied to live in our filth. Where is the logic and sense in self deceit, or has the writer said anything which isnt true? who benefits if we continue to live this way. Not even those defending the status quo can declare that they are immune from the wahala in that country and beyond. I hear people constantly saying that things will get better, how can they when as a people we struggle to have a unified definition of what is Right or Wrong. Always prepared to make stupid senseless excuses.

Yes na Oyibo Boy talk am, But I accept that his observation is correct

The oyibo boy did the classic move beknownst of deceivers. He mixed elements of truth with falsehoods.

Falsehoods that have been SHOWN HERE WITH EVIDENCE to be falsehoods.

People like you need to become smart enough to decode these sort of articles...
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Rossikk(m): 7:14pm On Aug 23, 2013
james_ibor: Stop overworking yourself mate. Apart from saying that there's been no improvement in the last decade, every other aspect of the article especially on the attitude of Nigerians is spot on.

Yawwn.. and oyibo was in the caves when my ancestors were inventing the mathematics he used to invent 'this device'. If you go back far enough, we ALL contributed to modern civilization, and therefore you've no need to feel inferior to anyone or any race.

1 Like

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by jamesibor: 7:34pm On Aug 23, 2013
Rossikk:

Yawwn.. and oyibo was in the caves when my ancestors were inventing the mathematics he used to invent 'this device'. If you go back far enough, we ALL contributed to modern civilization, and therefore you've no need to feel inferior to anyone or any race.
Keep on consoling yourself. There is nothing inferior in being realistic.

1 Like

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 23, 2013
Toaskarity:

Oh my God!! This man just described Nigerians perfectly!!
Please lets tell ourselves the truth...
If we can only accept we are sick then we can think of ways to cure it!! he made so many true points that every nigerian know!! He dint add pepper neither did he add magi to his story like others,, our comments here shld be how we can cure this sickness !!

I like the word sickness. A pervasive sickness, i have to add. It is a country in drastic need of help. We know the solutions, it is as simple as acting as accountable and responsible individuals, with regulatory bodies in every strata that would oversee such in case a 'patriotic' Nigerian decides to 'thief' but when you have 'patriotic' Nigerians who revel in the status quo, then there is nothing on earth you can do. It becomes an irredeemable case, a fruitless and futile attempt to the country's redemption. Our past and present thieving leaders too are all 'patriotic' Nigerians. OBJ and IBB are patriotic Nigerians. Even Abacha is a patriotic Nigerian. They epitomize the word patriotic going by the Nigerian definition in exuberant flamboyance. I have vowed never to engage them in any conversation. A is Z and B is Y to the patriotic Nigerian.

3 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Lordlexy: 8:43pm On Aug 23, 2013
Obi1kenobi: What a cretin. Turned what should have been a fine critique of our national mess into an avenue for ethnic bashing. People of the SE commit 8 out of 10 crimes within and outside Nigeria? Stats that you concocted in your toilet, abi? So, we vote and support corrupt politicians while you vote and support the angelic, irreproachable altruists in Tinubu and his cronies and family, abi? Always funny seeing people like you ascribe phoney virtues to themselves and demonizing others in a crude herd mentality.
@obi. I appologise if my comment in any way sound tribalistic. I didn't mean to offend you or any group of ppl. You are my brother and i'm not canvassing for any political party. My concern is the perpetual fraud that seems unabated, and i thought if parents could do a little bit more to frawn at wards who unexpectedly emass wealth without any legitimate means, that i felt could curb the manace at the grass root.
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by Lordlexy: 8:57pm On Aug 23, 2013
Obi1kenobi: What a cretin. Turned what should have been a fine critique of our national mess into an avenue for ethnic bashing. People of the SE commit 8 out of 10 crimes within and outside Nigeria? Stats that you concocted in your toilet, abi? So, we vote and support corrupt politicians while you vote and support the angelic, irreproachable altruists in Tinubu and his cronies and family, abi? Always funny seeing people like you ascribe phoney virtues to themselves and demonizing others in a crude herd mentality.
@obi. I appologise if my comment in any way sound tribalistic. I didn't mean to offend you or any group of ppl. You are my brother and i'm not canvassing for any political party. My concern is the perpetual fraud that seems unabated, and i thought if parents could do a little bit more to frawn at wards who unexpectedly emass wealth without any legitimate means, that i felt could curb the manace at the grass root. Frankly, i don't know how you feel when i particular tribe continued to be mentioned for many crime. Surely, that doesn't speak well of us as a nation. And to also have some who never see any wrong with the present leadership for regionalism sake is the brunt we have to bear. Which ever we spin this topic, a viable solution will not majically emerged until we find a way to pick personality over party to restore sanity to our statehood. unfortunate, every post i read appears to echoed the original thread. We should profer solution on the way forward.
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by 99cent: 9:22pm On Aug 23, 2013
GooseBaba: The Op's points are valid, spot on and what not..

The question I have for my beloved brethren and fellow Nigerian. Why must we lose our minds when a foreigner points out the obvious. Some praise this foreigners like mad dogs. Try writing the obvious about Europeans and American and see if they give a rats tail.

GBAM.
the stupidity on this thread is beyond me. Nigeria has featured in "MOST CORRUPT COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD" list for several years now. All of a sudden, some random guy decides to type a half-assed one dimensional rant and wow, they look at it as if it's something enlightening. Even if the guy had proposed an idea of how to solve the problem I will understand. but he is stating the obvious and somehow we nigerians are reacting as if we are hearing for the first time.

I asked a simple question: how does this help us toward solving the issue? and the fool i-hop or whetever his username is got his panties in a bunch. rubbish.

1 Like

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by 99cent: 9:28pm On Aug 23, 2013
A-town:

You missed the part where i noted "some of his points may be right"
Anyway, i'm particularly interested in this because i work with most of these guys and their condescending attitude infuriates me a lot. Do you know how many times i have told some of this guys to shut the feck up in an office conversation? They keep travelling on rotations back to naija on company paid business class tickets, get treated like millionaires and everytime we talk, all they want to tell me is about how bad Nigeria is. My first response is always: get the FECKK out of there if you don't like it. As always, they shut up. By the way, they have a choice. Nigeria is considered high-risk and no employer will fire you if you refuse.

We know Nigeria is bad. I don't need an Overpaid expatriate telling me that nonsense. Tell Tim Newman to go to the UK and demand what he was earning with Total in naija and see if they won't biiitch slap him all the way to burundi.
Also, he talks as if he's all that. He barely has 10years experience and we won't "hear word". Talking about how he's made an impact blah blah blah. Abeg go siddon. What will the expats that have 30years now yarn.

exactly
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by 99cent: 9:37pm On Aug 23, 2013
ono:
I noticed that at some point, the writer implied that there's no way out for us - as far as he knows. Perhaps we Nigerians can be sincere enough for once in our life and call a spade a spade, accept that we have problems bedeviling us. That's the first part, then we can now move forward to other steps.

well at least u read the article well enough to realize that the writer is basically saying that we are a bunch of hopeless people.
how does an article like that help? Everyone in Nigeria knows there is corruption. I don't know what you mean when you say Nigerians should accept that we have a problem. How many Nigerians have u met who deny there is corruption?
the message from the article is: corruption will never go away. it is an endemic problem that's in our genes. so what incentive does this give anybody to look for a solution if there can never be a solution. low IQ is part of our genes, corruption is part of our genes, underdevelopment is part of our genes. what haven't we heard before?
this article is 100% negative. Basically bordering on biological determinism. It isn't prescriptive yet we are fawning over it in amazement as if we just learned something new and extraordinary.
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by ono(m): 11:15pm On Aug 23, 2013
Alright 99cent. I have tried to look at things from your angle. See, it's not all about bashing us in that piece or telling us what we know already.

I think this piece is meant for us Nigerians to read, reflect and think about how we can come together and collectively solve the monstrous problem called corruption that's killing all of us. If we begin to look at the messenger instead of the message we will lose sight of what this man is trying to pass across.

I felt bad reading all that was written in that piece, but that doesn't make it a lie. It's the stark n a k e d truth about my country - our country. Personally, I have never seen a coherent, thorough, graphic description of the socio-cultural and political write up about Nigeria, that's so well written by someone from another country. I used to think that folks from other parts of the world do not know us this much. But this piece proved me wrong. This guy knows more that I even do about my country.

The guy also expressed his displeasure at the way ''expats'' who are not qualified in the first place troop into the country, while our people who are half decent and capable are relegated to the background or ''locked'' up somewhere. In that section he did provide a way out of this. He stated that people should be ''tested'' to check their suitability for a job or otherwise. That's solution enough. He probably couldn't fathom a solution to our other ''bigger'' corruption problems because it has defied all logical reasoning and he's so amazed at how we have come to embrace this in the country.

In all, lets not feel insulted by the guy. I think he's a very blunt guy who tells stuff the way it is without mincing words - very much like me!

6 Likes

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by 99cent: 11:45pm On Aug 23, 2013
ono: Personally, I have never seen a coherent, thorough, graphic description of the socio-cultural and political write up about Nigeria, that's so well written by someone from another country.

I've read more coherent, objective write ups about the problem of corruption in Nigeria by foreigners. Infact, i've taken classes in international studies where i've been lectured about corruption in Nigeria by an american and foreign professionals. so maybe that's why I have a different perspective than you. It gets boring after a while, repetitive and some can be borderline offensive. not in the sense that there isn't corruption in Nigeria but the idea that a Nigerian is just inherently corrupt therefore it is ok to do certain questioable things because Nigerians are abnormal cases.

It's very interesting though because the stories u hear from these expat workers in oil and gas industries, finance etc are always different from the stories u hear from those who work in Nigeria in less structured environments ex rural areas, ngos, churches etc. these folks tend to make personal friends and have positive experiences that somehow manage to balance out the negatives. the armchair expats who fly into fancy hotels, never spend a day with a nigerian, get scammed a lot by nigerians trying to take advantage of them tend to be most disparaging.

u will even read in the write up where he says that he has a curfew and that it is impossible for expats do have fun activities or do things outside of work. this is absolutely false. this is a self imposed curfew as far as i'm concerned. and just his own biased opinion.because there are tons of expats who don't hole themselves up like that.

The guy also expressed his displeasure at the way ''expats'' who are not qualified in the first place troop into the country, while our people who are half decent and capable are relegated to the background or ''locked'' up somewhere. In that section he did provide a way out of this. He stated that people should be ''tested'' to check their suitability for a job or otherwise. That's solution enough. He probably couldn't fathom a solution to our other ''bigger'' corruption problems because it has defied all logical reasoning and he's so amazed at how we have come to embrace this in the country.

remember that he is an expat himself. therefore what he is doing is pretty much making the expat problem one into one that has a solution. and then painting the "nigerian problem" as one that has no solution.
to me the solution to corruption as we know it is simply LAW ENFORCEMENT. and that is the same solution to the corruption of hiring unqualified expats who take the job anyway even thought they know they aren't qualified because every human being is is inherently greedy. Not just Nigerians.
other countries just happen to have better law enforcement that stops people from taking advantage of the rules.
He himself did not deny anywhere that he didn't partake in corrupt acts.

1 Like

Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by 99cent: 12:05am On Aug 24, 2013
falsifying a CV (I don’t mean enhancing, I mean pretending you’re a Lead Piping Engineer of 12 years experience when actually, until yesterday, you were a fisherman);

this is an example where lack of enforcement comes into play. I live in the USA and i've heard of stories of people falsifying their resumes. I mean these are CEOS of top companies. these stories are rare and tend to date to the pre-90s when technology wasn't as advanced. Basically if you are not cross-checking CVs and resumes and calling to confirm what is written on it, then it becomes a free for all!! people who are desperate enough to find a job will do whatever it takes to get ajob even if it means faking a resume. that's just a human trait.

In fact, at resume building gatherings, job seekers are ENCOURAGED to "enhance" pad or exagerrate their CV. but there is a limit because the company can always call the former employer to confirm what you wrote so you can't be too far off from the truth. hence this fear of law enforcement keeps you in check.

It's not necessarily nature but mostly nurture and incentives. do u get punished for breaking the rules or get rewarded? that determines whether you will break the rule again. at least I feel this applies to most people irrespective of nationality.

nigerian teachers who sit in their staff room buying and selling merchandise rather than teaching students in d classroom.are they corrupt? sure. but why are they doing what they are doing? they will be the first to point the finger at the govt for being corrupt but they also are corrupt but they rationalize their corruption because they are not getting paid their monthly salaries etc. that makes perfect rational sense hence why corruption will never go away until we have proper enforcement of laws concerning salaries, supervision, oversight etc. even those who are corrupt will not feel guilt. the police man collecting bribe to feed his family. do u expect him to feel guilt?
or maybe a politician who sees other politicians making money. of course he too will naturally feel he has the right to similar treatment like his peers. it's sad but reality.
same goes with the unqualified british expat who takes the job because he knows he can get away with it.
Re: An Expatriate's Indepth Analysis Of Corruption In Nigeria by ono(m): 12:05am On Aug 24, 2013
99cent:
I've read more coherent, objective write ups about the problem of corruption in Nigeria by foreigners. Infact, i've taken classes in international studies where i've been lectured about corruption in Nigeria by an american and foreign professionals. so maybe that's why I have a different perspective than you.

Ok. Now, the weblink posted is just the guy's blog - it's not a formal ''training website'' of some sorts, or a ''corporate corruption-teaching website''. So, looking at stuff from that angle, you agree that this is the way Tim Newmann personally saw Nigeria during his stay in Lagos. He didn't even go to press with it. Had he published his findings in a ''corruption journal'' or Transparency International report now, I will put on a different hat analyzing his write up. And yes, while you're into international studies and stuff, I am an engineer - like Time Newmann. We definitely will view things from different angles. But we need to be very careful how we go about this.

99cent:
remember that he is an expat himself. therefore what he is doing is pretty much making the expat problem one into one that has a solution. and then painting the "nigerian problem" as one that has no solution.
to me the solution to corruption as we know it is simply LAW ENFORCEMENT.....

Now, this isn't fair on the guy. If you read my explanation of what he wrote very well, he wasn't happy that we have folks who are qualified to do some jobs ''locked up'' and forgotten. He felt we're doing ourselves a great disservice by doing this. To me, that's fair enough.

The expat thing he wrote was spot on. I have worked with some ''expat'' in my department whom I had to teach how to use MS Excel to do simple graphical presentation of historical well and reservoir performance. I was so shocked I wondered how he got in the company in the first place. I have also worked with an excellent British expat, who's working in Malaysia now, and I can tell you this one isn't a fake, lazy ass expat. He worked hard, he motivated me and several others and I know he's worth his salt.

Law enforcement will NOT work in Nigeria - at least, for now. Lets not deceive ourselves. I don't even need to go about explaining anything on this one.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Short & Deceitful Little Imps Osinbajo Is Sick, His Nightmare Just Started – FFK / Abaribe: Declare December 31 ‘Democracy Destruction Day’ To Mark Your 1983 Coup / 96-yr-old Woman Who Donated N1M To Buhari Receives First Lady Of Kebbi..photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.