Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,852 members, 7,922,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 05:18 PM

Can You Go Ahead To Wed Your Girlfriend/boyfriend Without Your Parents' Aproval? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can You Go Ahead To Wed Your Girlfriend/boyfriend Without Your Parents' Aproval? (899 Views)

Couple Who Met At NYSC Camp Are To Wed Next Month / Should I Still Go Ahead And Marry Him? / Why Do You Love Your Girlfriend/Boyfriend? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Go Ahead To Wed Your Girlfriend/boyfriend Without Your Parents' Aproval? by Andyblaze: 10:07pm On Sep 09, 2013
I learnt some time ago from one of my uncles that he didn't marry his first love because his dad didn't aprove of the family of the girl. I am forced to ask would you let your parent's opinion get in the way of getting to spend the rest of your life with they man/woman you love?
Re: Can You Go Ahead To Wed Your Girlfriend/boyfriend Without Your Parents' Aproval? by Danhumprey: 10:51pm On Sep 09, 2013
Parental consent matters. But at times,some parents seems to abuse that prerogative. Personally,I won't marry the gal in question if my parents have strong,viable and concise reasons why I shouldn't. On the other hand,if I find out that my parents are being unduly protective and have one unnecessary ill-feelings or hatred for my partner,for no sane reason but just to impose their choice on me,I won't twice before I ignore them. For God's sake,it's my life.I deserve to live with someone I love,not someone forced on me!

1 Like

Re: Can You Go Ahead To Wed Your Girlfriend/boyfriend Without Your Parents' Aproval? by saintkash(m): 10:52pm On Sep 09, 2013
OH SURE, MY MARRIAGE MUST BE APPROVED BY BOTH PARENTS OR ELSE NO MARRIAGE FOR ME OOO....THE OPINION OF MY PARENTS MUST COUNT IN MY WIFE SELECTION PROCESS....
Re: Can You Go Ahead To Wed Your Girlfriend/boyfriend Without Your Parents' Aproval? by Tuntheycr7: 11:31pm On Sep 09, 2013
The gist wey we talk say make popsy no hear na dt popsy go later settle am.......
Only 4d wise
Re: Can You Go Ahead To Wed Your Girlfriend/boyfriend Without Your Parents' Aproval? by Odunharry(m): 11:43pm On Sep 09, 2013
No...family n love is important..we shud set our priorities ryt evn though dy differ...ur own blood can neva dpart u no matter wat bt i av hrd of husbnd leavng wife n vice versa...It nt 100% sure ur husbnd or wife to be will be wit u let say sm1 has a deadly disease bt ur own parent,i doubt if dy wl turn dia back on u..
Bsyds dat wud b a sure sign of dsrespect 4 both of dem and we knw dia s cnsequenc 4 ds..
Ur parent blessing and prayer 4 you and ur spouse is very important...

B4 dy say no,i will ask them why n reason with them..
Re: Can You Go Ahead To Wed Your Girlfriend/boyfriend Without Your Parents' Aproval? by KateSpade(f): 4:33am On Sep 10, 2013
yes i would go ahead

parental "consent" matters but its not everything. I wouldn't even call it consent because I'm an adult and not their property, their blessing is very important to me, however it would not be the only thing making me want to or not want to marry someone
Re: Can You Go Ahead To Wed Your Girlfriend/boyfriend Without Your Parents' Aproval? by Mynd44: 7:28am On Sep 10, 2013
"A man shall leave his mother and father and be one with his wife" You are the one marrying not your parents
Re: Can You Go Ahead To Wed Your Girlfriend/boyfriend Without Your Parents' Aproval? by Popowaa: 8:30am On Sep 10, 2013
What the old can see when sitting the young will not see when standing.Smtimes u let love cloud ur sense of reasoning and u think ur parents are been unreasonable u disobey and go and later u start regreting wishing u had listened to ur parents.Parents blessings matter,imagine u having a problem and u cannt share with ur mum and it's eating u up.

1 Like

Re: Can You Go Ahead To Wed Your Girlfriend/boyfriend Without Your Parents' Aproval? by greedie1(f): 9:18am On Sep 10, 2013
No.
parental consent is very important to moi. they must have a good reason for not approving.
Re: Can You Go Ahead To Wed Your Girlfriend/boyfriend Without Your Parents' Aproval? by Odunharry(m): 9:57am On Sep 10, 2013
gree-die:
No.
parental consent is very important to moi. they must have a good reason for not approving.
yap..
Re: Can You Go Ahead To Wed Your Girlfriend/boyfriend Without Your Parents' Aproval? by Odunharry(m): 9:58am On Sep 10, 2013
Mynd_44: "A man shall leave his mother and father and be one with his wife" You are the one marrying not your parents
aw abt honour u wl gve dem?
Re: Can You Go Ahead To Wed Your Girlfriend/boyfriend Without Your Parents' Aproval? by Mynd44: 10:13am On Sep 10, 2013
Odunharry:
aw abt honour u wl gve dem?
There are a billion other ways to honor them.
Re: Can You Go Ahead To Wed Your Girlfriend/boyfriend Without Your Parents' Aproval? by Odunharry(m): 10:36am On Sep 10, 2013
Mynd_44:
There are a billion other ways to honor them.
ya..disobeying them is anoda way to dshonour them.
Re: Can You Go Ahead To Wed Your Girlfriend/boyfriend Without Your Parents' Aproval? by Mynd44: 10:43am On Sep 10, 2013
Odunharry: ya..disobeying them is anoda way to dshonour them.
Actually, making a decision that affects MY life is not a way to dishonor anyone. It is my future

1 Like

Re: Can You Go Ahead To Wed Your Girlfriend/boyfriend Without Your Parents' Aproval? by philfearon(m): 12:44pm On Sep 10, 2013
There Are Always Exceptions to Everything..Back in the days,in the Traditional way,Parental Consent is a must...But now,things has changed..Once the People in Particular are of Marriageable Age,Parental Consent doesnt Matter...But,if they are still children(In the eyez of The Law,a child is anybody not upto 21yrs-Nigeria),Parental Consent is A Must...
As long as the Marriage is not done in a traditional way,but in a Statutory Manner(Court Marriage),parental Consent is not needed.....
But then,@OP,which of the Parental consent are u talking about? From the guys side or the Girls side or both?
Re: Can You Go Ahead To Wed Your Girlfriend/boyfriend Without Your Parents' Aproval? by Andyblaze: 1:19am On Sep 11, 2013
Both
philfearon: There Are Always Exceptions to Everything..Back in the days,in the Traditional way,Parental Consent is a must...But now,things has changed..Once the People in Particular are of Marriageable Age,Parental Consent doesnt Matter...But,if they are still children(In the eyez of The Law,a child is anybody not upto 21yrs-Nigeria),Parental Consent is A Must...
As long as the Marriage is not done in a traditional way,but in a Statutory Manner(Court Marriage),parental Consent is not needed.....
But then,@OP,which of the Parental consent are u talking about? From the guys side or the Girls side or both?
Re: Can You Go Ahead To Wed Your Girlfriend/boyfriend Without Your Parents' Aproval? by Nobody: 5:14am On Sep 11, 2013
It matters but not at the expense of ur hapiness. If u wanna Please ur parents by marrying who they think is best for u...without loving him/her,you'll only end up Miserable.
Re: Can You Go Ahead To Wed Your Girlfriend/boyfriend Without Your Parents' Aproval? by Nobody: 6:20am On Sep 11, 2013
Re: Can You Go Ahead To Wed Your Girlfriend/boyfriend Without Your Parents' Aproval? by philfearon(m): 12:29pm On Sep 11, 2013
Andyblaze: Both
It hardly happens for both...Its a one in a million chance...Its just rare...
Re: Can You Go Ahead To Wed Your Girlfriend/boyfriend Without Your Parents' Aproval? by Monicasque(f): 12:35pm On Sep 11, 2013
funny enough the girl's parents are always okay but the boy's family are a nightmare. its hard to please them or sometimes even get them to like u. If u choose to go ahead and marry your partner even if your parents do not aprove you might regret it some day as maybe things would go wrong , sometimes not even because they warned u but jst because they wer just bound to go wrong and they will start blaming u and remindin u of how they warned u bla bla bla but i am a sucker for romance and blv only u have the right to choose who u wana spend the rest of your life with. No one said marriage was easy so u r bound to get some problems but just stand together and face them head on and never ever feel as if u brought it down on yourselves just bcoz momma didn't like her after all u r the one whose gona spend your life with this person not momma right? One thing i will say is no matter what parents say JUST TAKE TIME TO KNOW YOUR PARTNER coz even the one your parents love may not be a saint
Re: Can You Go Ahead To Wed Your Girlfriend/boyfriend Without Your Parents' Aproval? by tpia5: 2:08pm On Sep 11, 2013
Tuntheycr7: The gist wey we talk say make popsy no hear na dt popsy go later settle am.......
Only 4d wise

very true.

(1) (Reply)

Six Types Of Women Men Avoid / She's A Gold Digger / SECRET REVEALED!!! Does Playing Hard-to-get Still Work?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.