Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,419 members, 7,904,553 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 03:26 PM

Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? (9808 Views)

Poll: Pay the tithe or pay or your relative's critical operation?

Pay the tithe: 34% (27 votes)
Help the relative: 65% (52 votes)
This poll has ended

To Tithe Or Not To Tithe: The Whole Truth From The Bible. / Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! / To Tithe or Not to Tithe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by ololade34(f): 10:32am On Jun 22, 2008
I will surely save the relative life, this is a matter of life and death afterall,  i won't be able to forgive myself if that relative should die knowing i could have helped save his/her life i believe God is a very understanding God and would surely understand why i did what i had to do.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by tyna1(f): 11:03am On Jun 22, 2008
I will save my relative first.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by iyaegin: 11:48am On Jun 22, 2008
this is unbelieveable so what happens if ur so called relative calls you after uve paid ur tithe would you not still either find the money or something.we pips like underestimating God not realising that God is the SOLE reason why u are able to pay a tithe in the first place.pay ur tithe first and borrow money to save ur cousin u cannot be putting God on a weighing scale and trying to find out who weighs heavier him or ur relative some of u guys need to go read ur bible again thoroughly.u should never think of any use of ur tithe outside of paying it once it comes in
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by Nobody: 11:51am On Jun 22, 2008
I'd pay to save a life first, even my enemy's.

God is an understanding God, He knows what your thoughts are.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by Nobody: 11:54am On Jun 22, 2008
iya egin:

this is unbelieveable so what happens if your so called relative calls you after uve paid your tithe would you not still either find the money or something.we pips like underestimating God not realising that God is the SOLE reason why u are able to pay a tithe in the first place.pay your tithe first and borrow money to save your cousin u cannot be putting God on a weighing scale and trying to find out who weighs heavier him or your relative some of u guys need to go read your bible again thoroughly.u should never think of any use of your tithe outside of paying it once it comes in

A dying relative may not have the luxury of time, whilst you try to borrow money to save their life!
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by Chat2MeBac(f): 1:15pm On Jun 22, 2008
@topic
With due respect to those who do, I have quit. I used to be a tither until early this year when I made a conscitious decision to give an offering instead. I am not too sure about the significance of giving 10% to a church and have declined from doing so. I have seen too many 'shady' activities where churches and money are concerned. I will donate to charities and give to those in need. I feel much better doing so.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by anonimi: 2:53pm On Jun 22, 2008
RedHotChic:

God said, bring your tithes to my HOUSE.

What is the Biblical basis of this your assertion
Where is God's house today
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by igbonla(m): 2:57pm On Jun 22, 2008
It's amazing how we stop paying tithes because of all the shady deals in the church and "pastors chopping the money" but we can't stop paying PAYE taxes because government take it from source. The last time I checked, God said he will rebuke the devourer if you obey.

Let the devil not confuse us, there are so many other ways to find money to pay relative's hospital bill. Or are your tithe and the bill in millions of Naira to the point that you can find it from other sources? Sell something or borrow if you have to, I am sure you can find a way out.

And by the way, who told you your money can save your relative's life?
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by igbonla(m): 2:58pm On Jun 22, 2008
@ moderator,

The poll is not fair, there should be a third option. The two can be done at the same time.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by anonimi: 3:05pm On Jun 22, 2008
Chat2MeBac:

@topic
With due respect to those who do, I have quit. I used to be a tither until early this year when I made a conscitious decision to give an offering instead. I am not too sure about the significance of giving 10% to a church and have declined from doing so. I have seen too many 'shady' activities where churches and money are concerned. I will donate to charities and give to those in need. I feel much better doing so.

My sister,

You should actually feel better than feeling much better about giving to charities and those in need than paying unrequired tithe.
What you are currently doing is what was required under the old testament, see Deuteronomy 14: 22-29 even when tithing was practiced by the Israelites.
However, tithes have been abolished for CHRISTians under the new testament, see Hebrews 7: 1-14.
Shalom.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by anonimi: 3:10pm On Jun 22, 2008
igbonla:

The last time I checked, God said he will rebuke the devourer if you obey.

Have you ever read all of Malachi from chapter 1 to understand the real context of teh oft-quoted, much-abused Malachi 3:8.-12.
If you haven't, do what God expects of you read His Word in full and save yourself from 419 pastors who obtain your money by pretence of tithes.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jun 22, 2008
gbam!!
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by Gent: 4:11pm On Jun 22, 2008
Payment of tithes and helping that relatives are important.

but, based on the situation on ground, tithing sh b suspended

2 save or help a life.

Remember d story of the good samaritan

D priest (pastor), levite (pastor 2 b ) ignored d seriously injured man on the way side,

just cos they were late 4 church service, probably hurrying not 2b late 4 the mass.

Christ condemned their neglecting that man.

In the bible, without love, we are nothing, without love,

all our service to God are useless.

Without love, christianity is DEAD.

In summary, there is no difference bw u and a witch in God`s sight

if u do not express love to your neighbours.

Bible says ' love is a fulfilment of the law'. U`re a perfect person

if u, as a christian, express love to everyone u come in contact with,

irrespective of what that person is or what he/she did to u.

So help that relative and suspend the tithe.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jun 22, 2008
kponkwem!!
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by MyAfriplac: 4:36pm On Jun 22, 2008
Everything boils down to a personal choice and basically doing what is right in the eyes of God and Man. Jesus was regarded as someone who found favor in the eyes of God and man, not because he follwed the letter of the law but the spirit. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you is a golden rule followed not only by "Christians" but every other religion in the world. It is basic and simple just like Christ, no complicated rules to follow. Christians have essential picked up all the burdens layed upon the jews by the pharisees and so called teachers of the law, preventing the ability to see the truth that would set them free. You cannot get into the Kingdom of heaven by performing the works of the law or trying to please God by your works. Save your friend and let God send you to Hell for doing so.

www.MyAfriplace.com
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by RedHotChic(f): 7:38pm On Jun 22, 2008
this is unbelieveable so what happens if your so called relative calls you after uve paid your tithe would you not still either find the money or something.we pips like underestimating God not realising that God is the SOLE reason why u are able to pay a tithe in the first place.pay your tithe first and borrow money to save your cousin u cannot be putting God on a weighing scale and trying to find out who weighs heavier him or your relative some of u guys need to go read your bible again thoroughly.u should never think of any use of your tithe outside of paying it once it comes in
Where will I borrow the money from? I've been asked by another whether I have a proof that God is my provider because she's an atheist and definitely not a tither but very very successful in her career. Same goes for lots of people walking around you today that has not paid a dime in the church before but they are very rich. Is Dangote a tither?
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by RedHotChic(f): 7:41pm On Jun 22, 2008
It's amazing how we stop paying tithes because of all the shady deals in the church and "pastors chopping the money" but we can't stop paying PAYE taxes because government take it from source. The last time I checked, God said he will rebuke the devourer if you obey.

The sad truth. We cannot stop paying taxes because of our governments infidelity but questions tithing because of what our pastors do.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by ztyle(m): 11:51pm On Jun 22, 2008
Complicated, but Life first.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by AKOOKO: 2:22am On Jun 23, 2008
save a life GOD will understand,GIVE AND IT SHALL BE GIVEN UNTO YOU.YOU
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by joomiegal(f): 8:51am On Jun 23, 2008
I read thoroughly without comments the other thread about tithing and debts. I believe in tithing and honestly think Christians should pay it without asking questions or checking how the pastor or church council is spending it but one person wrote that tithing is not about the money but about obedience to God and this made me to ask :

You've paid your monthly bills, all is taken care of and the remaining change is for your tithe when a relation calls from home asking for the equivalent of your tithe to save her father or mothers life. Do you apply the obedience rule and ignore her or do you give her the money to save the life and disobey God?

@ redhotchic(poster)
Please i would really love you to get a reply from you in response to this question: was the above quote your Original post, word for word?? becos i pride myself on having a really, really good memory and i do not remember you saying anything about the said relative's mother's life being on the line. you just said he was in need. i may be wrong, but i doubt it. please reply, becos im sooo getting sick of people's posts being 'doctored' by the moderators. I want to confirm from you b4 i make further comments. Please reply.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by RedHotChic(f): 9:51am On Jun 23, 2008
Yes, that was my original post. The moderators only doctored the title.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by oluwdashmi(f): 11:29am On Jun 23, 2008
@ poster

The first thing you should pay out of your income is your tithe after which you now pay other bills.

If a relative needs anything, you can then use the money for PHCN bill to cater for the person (after all, we just pay the bill, we didn't use the light) as well as other bills.

With this, you can challenge God that you have obeyed him by paying your tithe first and the money for your bills have been sent to the relative, then commit the life of the relative into his hands. God will be glad you attended to his own first and later inconvenienced yourself to cater for the welfare of another man.

For those who would spend the money on their relative other than tithe, no problem but bear it in mind that you have two tithes to pay in the following month (just explain to God). He is a merciful.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by santavista: 11:40am On Jun 23, 2008
@ Post,

Me i no be dat kind religion religion person ooooooooo. But make i try sha.

In this case, i will definately save the life. But that is if i do not have any alternative source of getting the money. I can pay my tithe as a debt the next month. It is all about the state of your heart. God is not as interested in tithes like he is abt ur heart and love towards each other.

Save a life and make it a debt. There is no where in the bible that says u cant pay your tithe as a debt. But do not make it a habit.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by konkocious(m): 11:46am On Jun 23, 2008
@poster
can you tell me the reason why Elijah told the widow that do what i asked you first, when she as already explain to him that all what they have is for her and her children. and i hope you are ready of bible and you see what happen next.

Jesus Christ said that Love the lord thy God, the added that love your brother as your self.

Your God should be the first if you want him to put you as his first.

had it been that you've paid the tithe first, then you will be able to take your decision on the matter wether to give the rest out or not beacouse you can decide on it it is your own.

even if you should give the tithe out you might end up loosing both because it is a trap from devil
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by KunleOshob(m): 12:56pm On Jun 23, 2008
Even you pastor would tell you that you are stupid to pay your tithes while ignoring your relative. as the good Booksays "people perish for lack of knowledge"
And if our so- called self righteous christian believers who have been hoodwinked by their pastors should care to study the sciptures well, they would realise that in time of problem, it is the church that should give to the individual and not the other way round. God does not need your money but the pastor does. do not be deceived
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by saintneo(m): 1:06pm On Jun 23, 2008
I can't go through all responses in this tread but:
1. If I'm this situation, I'll pay my relatives hospital bill. God created us to serve him, from my basic perspective; I believe that I sacrifice to God through our neighbour is more rewarding than putting the money in the Church. Don't forget the parable "A traveller from Jerusalem to Jericho", Jesus showed us that love is greater than every other sacrifice and the teaching "When I was sick you visited me, therefore enter the kingdom of my Father". Therefore, how will or hearts judge us in that your relative stays back in the hospital and we majestically walk down the aisle to the altar to pay our tithe so that people can see us. Sacrifices in the secret are more satisfying to me.
2. Please don't discourage people that pay tithe with atheist perspective, God has His own time of calling: Don't forget that St. Paul was anti-christainity
Thanks for reading.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by neowelsh(m): 1:34pm On Jun 23, 2008
this all you need to know about your topic,
What is the tithe? It is the "gateway for the believer into the covenant of blessings." In the Hebrew "maaser" or "maasrah," is translated tenth, or tenth part, and in Greek "apodekatoo" and in both, it means a payment or giving or receiving of the tenth.

The tithe is that tenth of our income that we give to God, which enables Him to move on our behalf in the area of blessings. The Bible records numerous accounts of man tithing to God. God is the creator of everything that exists. He owns everything and we are simply stewards of what we have been entrusted with. The tithe principle is this; "He gives unto us, we give back to Him one-tenth of all that He has blessed us with."

Abraham tithed unto Melchizedek, Isaac tithed, His son Jacob and many others also even before the law was given. Many Christians do not tithe because they have been taught that they are not under the law, but under grace. While this is a true statement, God did not institute the tithe to bring us under the law, but to get blessings to His children. Abraham tithed before the law, and God blessed him supernaturally. We're under grace that we might establish the law; not turn from it. Jesus said that He didn't come to do away with the law, but to fulfill it. Because He fulfilled it, we are to establish it. His Words are forever settled in heaven, therefore we establish His Words upon the earth.

Matthew 5:17-19: "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

TITHING ACCORDING TO THE LAW AS GIVEN BY MOSES

Leviticus 27:30 "And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S: it is holy unto the LORD."

This scripture states that all the tithe, whether it be seed of the land, fruit of the tree, or one tenth of all that you earn, is holy unto the Lord. Deuteronomy 14:22-29 states that one-tenth of all that comes into your possession, belongs to God. This was God's plan to instruct His people as to the way of blessings that He had for them. God is a multiplier by nature, and He could not multiply that which was not entrusted to Him. When the children of Israel were obedient to give back to God that which was His, increase was guaranteed. Scripture states, It's better to be obedient than to sacrifice. When the children of Israel were obedient, blessings came; when they were disobedient, they had to sacrifice. Many Christians today are wanting God to honor the covenant that He has with His children, but disobedient children cannot receive the same reward as the obedient.

1 Samuel 15:22: "And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams."

The strongest chain is only as strong as its weakest link. When we fail to tithe, we become that weak link. Statistics show that approximately 20% of Christians tithe. That means, 80% of Christendom is not in covenant with their God, but are like beggars and thieves looking for handouts and what they can steal from Him.

I have said many times, it would be better to rob the First National Bank than to rob the bank of Heaven. I'm sure most Christians don't see it this way, because most Christians steal from God. Malachi 3:8 asks the question "Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation."

The Old Testament records two other tithes; one tithe was called the "festival tithe," when they came to Jerusalem three times a year for fellowship. The expense for the festival, (travel, food, etc.) was taken from this tithe. The third tithe was given in the third year and was a tithe holy unto the Lord. It was a tithe of almsgiving for the poor and needy. All of these tithes were brought to the storehouse, and the priest oversaw the distribution of same. The first tithe was for the upkeep of the priests, since they had no inheritance. All of their income and portion was to be given to them by God's people. This tithe in and of itself, is not considered an offering. It is the minimum requirement for all of God's people.

The reason God instituted the second and the third tithe through Moses, was that His children needed to give above and beyond this tithe. It is these tithes that God is referring to in Malachi 3:8 where His people have robbed Him in tithes and offerings. In verse 10 of Malachi 3, you will notice that it states "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it."

I am convinced that when people see the tithe as an instrument of blessing they will not be looking for a way to give less, but a way to give more. God will help them so that they can be generous on every occasion.

TITHING ESTABILSHES THE LAW

Tithing after the law does not do away with the law, but establishes it. Are you honestly blessed to where you can give generously on every occasion? Or are you like so many that can't give the way they would like to be able to? I've come to the knowledge that most Christians are looking for the truth, so they can be set free. Just because you're a child of God, does not mean you are a "mature" son of God. A mature son or daughter of God will not be found robbing "daddy" God. Revelation 3:18 gives us good counsel on how to re-establish right covenant with the Lord. Jesus' advice to those of us who have become lukewarm is to buy from Him gold that's been refined in the fire. He tells us to do this so that the shame of our unclothedness will not be revealed.

Revelation 3:18: "I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy unclothedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see."

How do we buy gold from the Lord? Hebrews 1:7 states that His ministers are as "flames of fire." In Matthew 25:9, Jesus makes a statement concerning the five foolish virgins to go and buy from those who sell. What they needed to buy was oil. Oil symbolizes the Spirit. Those who are in the five-fold ministry (apostles, prophets, pastors, evangelists and teachers) have a command from the Lord to receive tithes (Hebrews 7). These tithes are not given, but paid, because the tithe belongs to the Lord. Malachi 3:3 states that the Lord will sit as a refiner, purifying the sons of Levi (those in the ministry) purging them as gold and silver, that they may offer to the Lord an offering in righteousness. I repeat, Jesus did not come to do away with law, but to fulfill it. Our job is to establish it.

There are those who say that the tithe is not covered in the New Testament, but in Hebrews 5, 6 and 7, one of the main subjects spoken of is the tithe--who receives it and how to become mature through paying it. In Hebrews 5:11-14 it states ", that you've become dull of hearing and that you should be teaching the first principles, but instead you have need of milk, and not solid food. For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the Word of righteousness, for he is a baby." This is preceded by the statement that Christ himself has become High Priest after the order of Melchizedek. In Chapter 6, it goes on to state that once you have been enlightened and tasted the heavenly gift--once you have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good Word of God--if you still fall away it is impossible to be renewed again to repentance, seeing that you crucify again for yourselves the Son of God and put Him to an open shame.

What is this good Word of God? This Word is "rhema" which means, the spoken or revealed Word of God. His Word has been revealed to you concerning Jesus as High Priest after the order of Melchizedek, meaning that Jesus has become High Priest over the tithe, (and your life) forever (vs. 20). Chapter 6 further states (vs. 9-19), that God blessed Abraham by saying "With blessings, I will bless you, and multiplying I will multiply you." He also promised immutability (unchangeableness) of His counsel and confirmed it by swearing an oath that by these unchangeable things, we might have strong consolation and lay hold of the hope set before us. Verse 19 states that this hope we have is an anchor for our soul (mind), both sure and steadfast. I am convinced these two unchangeable things are both God's promise to bless us and our promise to tithe back to Him. Chapter 7 states in verse 8, "Here mortal men receive tithes, but there He receives them of whom it is witnessed, that He lives."

Chapters 5-7 deals with the ministry of Melchizedek and that Jesus is the priest forever according to Melchizedek. We know Abraham gave tithes of all that he possessed. We know in the Law of Moses, tithes were commanded. After the Law, Hebrews states that Jesus is the Lord, not just of the past, not just of the present, but forever. Hallelujah! He is the Lord of the tithe, forever.

Seeing that Jesus is the Lord of the tithe, is He our lord? If He is, there should be no question that we tithe unto Him. I can just hear someone saying, " If Jesus was my Pastor, I would tithe," but Hebrews 7:8 states "that men (subject to death) receive tithes on this side; but on the other side, Jesus Himself receives them." Why should we look for ways to excuse us from what we know we should be doing? Let's be about establishing and not doing away with His Words. The tithe was, and is and shall ever be holy unto the Lord.

i hope you will read and understand the important of tithing
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by ziz(f): 2:22pm On Jun 23, 2008
I'm a Christian and I try as much as possible to pay my tithe ,but I believe that I must not necessarily pay my tithe to the church I can give the equivalent of my tithe to a person in need and still believe that I've paid them to God because at that point I'm more than certain that Christ would have done the same.This issue of tithing reminds me of Christ healing of a man on the sabbath.Christ was a very unconventional man. He did the things which were right regardless of what the law had to say about it.He went ahead to heal on the sabbath (Matt 12:9-14). To the priests and the scribes He was a man who had a high disregard for following the law, but He most definitely had by doing what was right as opposed to what was the law had secured a place in Gods heart.If I were ever in such a situation I would definitely use my tithe to save the life of my relative and who ever else it may be.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by kayowalemi(m): 2:25pm On Jun 23, 2008
U've payed ya tithe when you have compassion to save that life whose existence was under critical threat.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by amaechijay: 4:04pm On Jun 23, 2008
Guys

l will save a relative's life ooo

My eyes don open

Dem no fit fool me again grin
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by KunleOshob(m): 4:15pm On Jun 23, 2008
@pastor neo_welsh
In response to your outright manipulation of the word of God, half truths, selective quotations and out of context references i have decided to re-post a post from a previous thread on this topic https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-113108.0.html I am quite certain judging from the number of biblereferences you cited, you know the real truth about tithes but you choose to ignore for reasons that definitely don't glorify God.

The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes
“And my people shall know the truth and the truth shall set them free”

“ will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say where in have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse for ye have robbed me even this whole nation. Bring ye all the tithes into the store house and prove me now here with saith the lord of hosts if I will not open the windows of heaven and pour out a blessing, that there would not be room enough to receive it” Malachi 3 : 8 – 10

The above quoted scripture is probably one of the most quoted scripture in the bible. Unfortunately it is being quoted out of context and used as a weapon of mass intimidation, manipulation, extortion, oppression, cajolery and outright lies and deceit by some church leaders to collect ten percent of the gross income of their church members who have been hoodwinked into believing that they are doing God’s will.
Before I go into the details of this discourse, I want to state categorically that I am a God loving, bible believing Christian who as the fear of God in his heart. I am also not writing this article to undermine any church or pastor but to let people realize the truth about tithes and remove the yoke of tithes being placed by some pastors upon them. I also want to state categorically that I strongly believe in giving to the church for the sole purpose of propagating God’s work and the Christian ministry. I would also continue to encourage all Christians to give their all to God as exemplified by the widow’s mite which Jesus Christ himself referred to in the bible.

Now back to Malachi 3 : 8 – 10, the first question one should ask is that who was this message directed at? The answer lies in the book of numbers 18 : 25 -28 which states that “the lord commanded Moses to say to the Levites when you receive from the Israelites the tithe that the lord gives you as your possession, you must present a tenth of it as a special contribution to the lord. This special contribution will be considered as the equivalent of the offering which the farmer makes of new grain and wine. In this way you would also present the special contribution which belongs to the lord from all the tithes which you receive from the Israelites. You are to give this special contribution for the lord to Aaron the priest” from the above it is clear that it was the Levites that were directed to pay a tithe of the tithe they collected from the Israelites to the priest who represents God and not the people of Israel. It was this Levites that were being referred to in the book of Malachi as those who rob God. A thorough study of the book of Malachi would reveal that in those days the Levites were collecting the tithe from the people of Israel and not remitting a tithe of it to the house of God, hence Malachi’s statement which is now being quoted out of context. To understand what tithes really means one would have to understand the social reasons and cultural / religious setting within which it was situated this concept of tithes was properly explained in the bible as stated in the laws of the tithe which can be found in the books of Leviticus 27 : 30 – 34, Numbers 18 : 25 – 31 and Deuteronomy 14 : 22 – 29. Upon reading this passages one would understand what tithes really means, but unfortunately most pastors prefer to neglect these passages that tell us the true meaning of tithes and emphasize on Malachi 3 : 8 - 10 which was directed to the Levites of that time to remit the priest’s share of the tithes they collected to him. It is worthy of note that Malachi does not even define what tithes is and how it should be paid. The definition of tithes as practiced today was manufactured by modern day pastors to suit their purpose as it is completely in contrast with what is in the bible and it only seeks to manipulate Christians to believe that God requests 10 per cent of their gross income from them.

So what is tithes and why did God request it be paid to the Levites? The answer can be found in the following passages : Leviticus 27 : 30 – 32 which states that “one tenth of the produce of the land, whether grain or fruit belongs to the lord. If a man wishes to buy back any of it he must pay the standard price plus an additional 20 per cent. One in every ten domestic animal belongs to the lord when the animals are counted, every tenth one belongs to the lord.” And Deuteronomy 26 : 12 which states that “ every third year give the tithe a tenth of your crops to the Levites, the foreigners, the orphans and the widows, so that in every community they will have all they need to eat” The above quoted passages clearly tells us what tithes is and the reason why God directed the people of Israel to pay tithes. It is very evident that it was a social arrangement for the less privileged in the Jewish society of that time, it was also meant to take care of the Levites because they have no land or property of their own. (today pastors are amongst the wealthiest property owners in Nigeria). This social arrangement is obviously not relevant to us today. It also states that every third year is the year of tithing not the weekly/monthly tithes being extorted from church members today. Another passage that illustrates the true meaning of tithes properly and also states clearly that tithe is not money is Deuteronomy 14 : 22 -29 which states that “ set aside a tithe a tenth of all that your fields produce each year then go to the one place where the lord your God as chosen to be worshiped and there in his presence eat the tithes of your grain, wine and olive oil and first born of your cattle and sheep. Do this so that you may learn to have reverence for the lord your God always. If the place of worship is too far from your home for you to carry there the tithe of the produce that the lord has blessed you with, then sell your produce and take the money with you to the one place of worship spend it on whatever you want beef, lamb, wine, beer and there in the presence of the lord you and your family are to eat and enjoy yourselves. Do not neglect the Levites who live in your towns for they have no property of their own. At the end of every third year bring the tithe of all your crops and store it in your towns. This is food for the Levites since they own no property and for the orphans, foreigners and widows who live in your towns. Do this and the lord your God would bless you in everything you do” from the above passage, it is very clear that tithe is not money and it is not the exclusive preserve of the Levites (church). It was a religious practice in those days to give reverence to God and to celebrate God in his place of worship. The Levites were only included for the main reason that they have no land of their own and that reason is not relevant in today’s society. Yet some pastors would tell you that you are cursed and would not go to heaven if you don’t give them 10% of your gross income. All this hypocrisy would not have bothered me if all the money being collected was being used to propagate God’s work, but the truth as we all know today is that this money is being used to finance lavish, flamboyant and exotic life styles that is unbecoming of a man who truly claims to serve God as a pastor who is expected to be meek and humble like our lord Jesus Christ was.
As a concluding part to this article, I would want to refer us to the book of Hebrews which was written to the early Christians, this provides irrefutable proof that Christians are not meant to pay tithes as the priesthood of our lord Jesus Christ does not require it. Hebrews 7 : 5,which states that “ and those descendants of Levi who are priests are commanded by the law to collect one tenth from the people of Israel that is from there own country men even though their country men are also descendants of Abraham” from this verse we can jump to verse 11 - 13 which states that “it was on the basis of the Levitical priesthood that the law was given to the people of Israel. Now if the work of the Levitical priests had been perfect there would be no need for a different kind of priest to appear, one who is in the priestly order of Melchizedek not of Aaron. For when the priesthood is changed, there also has to be a change in the law. And our lord of whom these things are said belonged to a different tribe and no member of his tribe ever served as a priest. It is well known that he was born a member of the tribe of Judah and Moses did not mention his tribe when he spoke of priests” The above passage is self explanatory and it’s states clearly that the practice of tithing has no place under the priestly order of our lord Jesus Christ in fact the passage suggests that the collection of tithes is belittling of the priestly order of our lord Jesus Christ. It states that it is wrong for us as Christians to receive or pay tithes and is not relevant to us as Christians because we belong to a superior priestly order.

Once again I would like to state that this article is not meant for us as Christians to revolt against the church or our pastors, it is just meant to establish the biblical truth about tithes and remove the yoke from people who labour to pay tithes ( not required of them by God) while their pastors are living luxuriously. Today many pastors see the church as their personal business and even fraudulent people are opening up churches so that they can have access to people’s tithes and use it for their personal aggrandizement. I encourage all of us as Christians to remain vigilant and continue to serve God in truth and in faith to the glory of his holy name. Amen.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by detruth: 5:11pm On Jun 23, 2008
Ps 127:1
"Unless the LORD builds the house,
They labor in vain who build it;
Unless the LORD guards the city,
The watchman stays awake in vain." (NKJV)

If God refuse to heal, then not your money!

quote from RedHotChic
Are you saying that if i give them the money to go to hospital, the patient will surely die because i disobeyed God by not paying my tithes first?

@RedHotC.
Sorry for answering your question late its because of my tight schedules!
Back to your question;
Noooooo! My aim if far from that.
I only wanted you to know that you cannot save anybody's life. Not even your own!
Saving lives is meant for God. That is why He is called the Saviour!
God will only avenge all disobediences only when your obedience is complete! (2 Cor. 10:6)
And moreover, just like someone has said, tithe is not the last thing to pay neither is it what to be given a leverage with any other pressing needs.

Your tithe is not negotiable! Should I ask you a question?  Does it means that after using your tithe to treat the relative you would'nt eat or do anything again with money till your next salary/income comes? That is not possible! If you will surely find money to do other things after using your tithe then that shows me where your heart is. You simply wanted to spend the tithe under that excuse and not bbecausethere is no other alternative.

The real truth about this tithing of a thing is God testing us to know where our heart is! Whether on the blessing or on the "Blesser".
Check all those who are against tithe, they often such that finds it difficult to let go. They are such that will actually refuse to give to any relative.
They are only using the excuses of some corrupt Pastors and others as a cover up. Those who do'nt love God can't love man! Love is more than words!
They claim they can give to bbeggarsinstead, but do they know what the beggers spend the money on? (either on cigarette or on woman). Then you will see them stop immediately.
What was their motive before giving to those beggers Check it? Pride! But on the other side, your tithe is a demonstrationof your love and humility.
You claimed you wanted to save your relative with your tithe, but Abraham was ready to sacrifice His only son on the alter of obedience, humility and love for God. Why? he knew all things comes from Him and they are sustained by Him.

Heb 11:17-19
By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,
19 Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure. KJV

Giving/Tithing in itself has no blessing until the motive behind it rightly corresponds. Love! God only uses your treasured resources as a test to know where your heart is. Peace!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Jesus V Muhammed - Muslim Response - Talk Islam / Man Of God Or Servant Of God? / Wearing Of Trousers, Earings And Make-up By Ladies Will Not Take Them To Hell.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.