Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,176 members, 7,939,762 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 11:31 AM

Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? (9848 Views)

Poll: Pay the tithe or pay or your relative's critical operation?

Pay the tithe: 34% (27 votes)
Help the relative: 65% (52 votes)
This poll has ended

To Tithe Or Not To Tithe: The Whole Truth From The Bible. / Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! / To Tithe or Not to Tithe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by pastorking(m): 5:28pm On Jun 23, 2008
Your tithe first even before your bills. You cannot change scriptures.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jun 23, 2008
My pastor usually says:

When u get paid, first of all remove your tithe, save 10 % and then spend the rest for whatever u wish.
That way you wont think about giving it out to anyone.

Tithe should not be last o, let alone wanting to give it out.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by KunleOshob(m): 5:39pm On Jun 23, 2008
pastorking:

It is wicked, greedy, selfish evangelists/ pastors that preach tithing like you that are changing the scripture. Tithing is NOT required of christians and any preacher that demands it is the one robbing the children of God through scriptural manipultion and you would one day answer to God for this evil crime against his children
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by MethodMan3(m): 5:41pm On Jun 23, 2008
pastorking:

na u write bible or which kain pastor wey dey preach to u?

carry your head go drop for tithe plate for church now!!!

fuc.k off tithe

i would chop chinese and pay my gas bill before tithe!
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by oge4real(f): 5:53pm On Jun 23, 2008
Once you recieve your pay,set aside your tithe first before spending the remaining.By so doing, God will rebuke the devourer for your sake and your relative will not be needing that money afterall.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by amaikama(m): 6:03pm On Jun 23, 2008
Send the tithe as a healing to your dieing relative at home and watch God take control.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by tonte(m): 7:49pm On Jun 23, 2008
in the first place i am of the opinion that tithe paying is a thing of the old testament if not y do we not get burnt offerings and other things i just feel d pastors know well that tithe paying would be beneficial 2 them. In the bible tithe was meant 4 levites,widows,orphans and strangers, now in nigeria i don't think there any levites, widows are hardly taken care of, and nobody even recognises strangers in d house of the lord so lets just stop all this tithe mumbo jumbo. tithe is not even supposed 2 be money its 1/10 of the farm produce u get and it is supposed 2 be paid once in 3 yrs and its even 1/10 of wat u getin the third year but in naija na everymonth tithes are paid, some churches have deviced methods of knowin who has paid and who hasn't paid
some other churches call tithe payers out 2 pray 4 them infact the whole tithe thing has been hijacked i don't pay tithes but get blessed by our good Lord so pls save ur relative's and even ur enemy's life b4 u think of tithe
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by ololomu(m): 7:57pm On Jun 23, 2008
@poster. why must u compare tithe and saving the life of a relative? what is tithe? did jesus payed any tithe? it seems u are drunk, or may be on drug! Life worth more than any other thing on earth and should not be compared to any thing.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by Seun(m): 8:01pm On Jun 23, 2008
You don't need to attack the poster. All you need to say is that you'd rather save a life. No wahala.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by jubocycke(m): 8:07pm On Jun 23, 2008
whether you like it or not we all pay tithes in one way or the other, either willingly or unwillingly;it is a principle.

either you pay to God or to the devil through other ways (hospital bills,to fraudsters,arm robbers and the likes of them).

don`t think you are giving it to the pastor. Remember, whatever you think you have is not yours;you are only privileged to be a custodian of it.

when God blesses a man,He uses it to test such fellow.if you succeed, He will enlarge you.

God may decide to take the life of the person you want to save even before the money or whatever sustance gets to the person.Think about that.By paying the tithe,God may equally save such a person because He assured us that He would rebuke the devourer, think man!

HERE I REST MY CASE!
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by jekad: 8:08pm On Jun 23, 2008
ololomu:

@poster. why must u compare tithe and saving the life of a relative? what is tithe? did jesus payed any tithe? it seems u are drunk, or may be on drug! Life worth more than any other thing on earth and should not be compared to any thing.

will u stop being rude and read your reply?or dont u know dat a tithe can be used as a  point of contact to that persons healing?
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by banjorin89(m): 8:10pm On Jun 23, 2008
whats dis gist abt?
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by MALAMA(f): 8:44pm On Jun 23, 2008
I respect every1's opinion on this o,but for those who assert that paying ur tithes to God takes priority over your relative's life ,let's rephrase the questions as this : [b][/b]YOU ARE ABOUT TO GO TO CHURCH WITH YOUR TITHES AND YOU DEVELOP A SUDDEN MEDICAL EMERGENCY THAT NEEDS A SURGEON TO OPERATE ON YOU IMMEDIATELY OTHERWISE YOU WILL LOSE YOUR LIFE.THE FEES FOR THE SURGERY AND OTHER MEDICAL BILLS AMOUNTS TO THE TITHES TOU WANT TO PAY.NOW WILL U SORT OUT YOUR HEALTH WITH THIS TITHE MONEY OR WILL U HAVE FAITH IN GOD TO HEAL YOU SO THAT U CAN PAY THE TITHE TO HIM AT A LATER DATE AFTER U ARE HEALED?
Oya,ngwanu,over to the tithers . wink
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by MALAMA(f): 8:49pm On Jun 23, 2008
I respect every1's opinion on this o,but for those who assert that paying ur tithes to God takes priority over your relative's life ,let's rephrase the questions as this : [b][/b]YOU ARE ABOUT TO GO TO CHURCH WITH YOUR TITHES AND YOU DEVELOP A SUDDEN MEDICAL EMERGENCY THAT NEEDS A SURGEON TO OPERATE ON YOU IMMEDIATELY OTHERWISE YOU WILL LOSE YOUR LIFE.THE FEES FOR THE SURGERY AND OTHER MEDICAL BILLS AMOUNTS TO THE TITHES TOU WANT TO PAY.NOW WILL U SORT OUT YOUR HEALTH WITH THIS TITHE MONEY OR WILL U HAVE FAITH IN GOD TO HEAL YOU SO THAT U CAN PAY THE TITHE TO HIM AT A LATER DATE AFTER U ARE HEALED?
MALAMA:

I respect everyone's opinion on this o,but for those who assert that paying your tithes to God takes priority over your relative's life ,let's rephrase the questions as this : [b][/b]YOU ARE ABOUT TO GO TO CHURCH WITH YOUR TITHES AND YOU DEVELOP A SUDDEN MEDICAL EMERGENCY THAT NEEDS A SURGEON TO OPERATE ON YOU IMMEDIATELY OTHERWISE YOU WILL LOSE YOUR LIFE.THE FEES FOR THE SURGERY AND OTHER MEDICAL BILLS AMOUNTS TO THE TITHES TOU WANT TO PAY.NOW WILL You SORT OUT YOUR HEALTH WITH THIS TITHE MONEY OR WILL You HAVE FAITH IN GOD TO HEAL YOU SO THAT You CAN PAY THE TITHE TO HIM AT A LATER DATE AFTER You ARE HEALED?
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by kinol: 8:51pm On Jun 23, 2008
Dear All

I hope somebody will be blessed with this simple RUTH story.

On the last day many will say Lord! Lord!! Lord!!!

I pay my tithe, I go to Church, I do all what my Pastor says.

And the Lord will reply "I DO NOT KNOW YOU"

RUTH PARABLE
Ruth went to her mail box and there was only one letter. She picked it up and looked at it before opening, but then she looked at the envelope again. There was no stamp, no postmark, only her name and
address.  She read the letter:
Dear Ruth:
I`m going to be in your neighbourhood Saturday
afternoon and I'd like to stop by for a visit.

Love Always,
Jesus

Her hands were shaking as she placed the letter on  the table. 'Why would the Lord wants to visit me? I'm nobody special.  I don't have anything to offer.' With that thought, Ruth remembered her empty kitchen cabinets. 'Oh my goodness, I really don't have anything to offer. I'll have to run down to the store and buy something  for dinner.' She reached for her purse and counted out its contents. Five dollars and forty cents.
Well, I can get some bread and cold cuts, at least.' She threw on her coat and  hurried out the door.
A loaf of French bread, a half-pound of sliced turkey, and a carton of milk, leaving Ruth with grand
total twelve cents to last her until Monday. Nonetheless, she felt good as she headed home, her
meager offerings tucked under her arm. 'Hey lady, can you help us,lady?' Ruth had been so absorbed in her dinner plans, she hadn't even noticed two figures huddled in the alleyway. A man and a woman, both of them dressed in little more than rags. 'Look lady, I ain't got a job, ya know, and my wife
and I have been living out here on the street, and, well, now it's getting cold and we're getting kinda
hungry and, well, if you could help us. Lady, we'd really appreciate it.'  Ruth looked at them both.
They were dirty, they smelled bad and frankly, she was certain that they could get some kind of work if
they really wanted to. 'Sir, I'd like to help you, but I'm a poor woman myself. All I have is a few cold cuts and some bread, and I'm having an important guest for dinner tonight and I was planning on serving that to Him.'  'Yeah, well, okay lady, I understand. Thanks anyway.'  The man put his arm around the woman's shoulders, turned and headed back into the alley. As she watched them leave, Ruth felt a familiar twinge
in her heart. 'Sir, wait!' The couple stopped and turned as she ran down the alley after them. 'Look, why  don't you take this food. I'll figure out something else to serve my guest.' She handed the man her grocery bag. 'Thank you lady. Thank you very much!'  Yes, thank you!' It was the man's wife, and Ruth could see now that she was shivering. 'You know, I've got another coat at home. Here, why don't you take this one.'
Ruth unbuttoned her jacket and slipped it over the woman's shoulders. Then smiling, she turned and walked back to the street, without her coat and with nothing to serve her guest. 'Thank you lady!
Thank you very much!' Ruth was chilled by the time she reached her front
door, and worried too. The Lord was coming to visit and she didn't
have anything to offer Him. She fumbled through her purse for the door key. But
as she did, she noticed another envelope in her mailbox. 'That's odd. The mailman doesn't usually come twice in one day.'
Dear Ruth:
It was so good to see you again.
Thank you for the lovely meal.
And thank you, too, for the beautiful coat.
Love Always,
Jesus
The air was still cold, but even without her coat,
Ruth no longer noticed.

Remain Blessed
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by jekad: 8:58pm On Jun 23, 2008
MALAMA:

I respect everyone's opinion on this o,but for those who assert that paying your tithes to God takes priority over your relative's life ,let's rephrase the questions as this : [b][/b]YOU ARE ABOUT TO GO TO CHURCH WITH YOUR TITHES AND YOU DEVELOP A SUDDEN MEDICAL EMERGENCY THAT NEEDS A SURGEON TO OPERATE ON YOU IMMEDIATELY OTHERWISE YOU WILL LOSE YOUR LIFE.THE FEES FOR THE SURGERY AND OTHER MEDICAL BILLS AMOUNTS TO THE TITHES TOU WANT TO PAY.NOW WILL You SORT OUT YOUR HEALTH WITH THIS TITHE MONEY OR WILL You HAVE FAITH IN GOD TO HEAL YOU SO THAT You CAN PAY THE TITHE TO HIM AT A LATER DATE AFTER You ARE HEALED?
very simple

have u forgotten that d sudden medical emergency like u call it might be a way of God trying to test your faith?and what if that pperson pays d medical bill and still does not survive it what will he or she tell God?" i had to neglect u and pay my bills just to survive but i did not survive" bills and God who is more imprtant?wtout that God where will that money come from? undecided do u know that by paying that tithe u may receive your healing instantly?or have u forgotten that our God is a God that when challenged does d extra-ordinary?
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by RedHotChic(f): 9:01pm On Jun 23, 2008
My pastor usually says:

When u get paid, first of all remove your tithe, save 10 % and then spend the rest for whatever u wish.
That way you wont think about giving it out to anyone.

Tithe should not be last o, let alone wanting to give it out.

The same thing servicing companies preach in America because by applying that method, they are sure of their monthly billls getting paid. Some churches and companies here use the "easypay" method where you give them authority to collect a specified amount of money from your account monthly or every fortnight.

If i decide to pay my tithe instead of using it to pay for your own surgery that needs immediate attention, will you like it and commend me for that?
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by RedHotChic(f): 9:05pm On Jun 23, 2008
have u forgotten that d sudden medical emergency like u call it might be a way of God trying to test your faith?and what if that pperson pays d medical bill and still does not survive it what will he or she tell God in heaven? Undecided do u know that by paying that tithe u may receive your healing instantly?or have u forgotten that our God is a God that when challenged does d extra-ordinary?
So many "mays" in your argument. What you are saying is that if we get sick, we can as well use the money for our hospital treatment to feed the hungry in Tsunami, Ethiopia, Liberia, Rwanda etc afterall God "[b]May" [/b]make us well and even if we go ahead and pay the hospital bill, we "[b]may" [/b]not survive it, so what's the point of paying it when we can give it to those that needs it for FOOD and BIBLE supplies.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by AKO1(m): 9:07pm On Jun 23, 2008
RedHotChic:

If i decide to pay my tithe instead of using it to pay for your own surgery that needs immediate attention, will you like it and commend me for that?

Its beginning to sound like a moral issue.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by jekad: 9:08pm On Jun 23, 2008
RedHotChic:

So many "mays" in your argument. What you are saying is that if we get sick, we can as well use the money for our hospital treatment to feed the hungry in Tsunami, Ethiopia, Liberia, Rwanda etc afterall God "May" [/b]make us well and even if we  go ahead and pay the hospital bill, we "[b]may" [/b]not survive it, so what's the point of paying it when we can give it to those that needs it for FOOD and BIBLE supplies.

you can as well feed d whole of iraq,iran and afghanistan,i don't care wink we r talking about tithes here and not feeding the 5 thousand people sweetie smiley

and yes[b] may
,use your tongue to count your teeth,u'll surely know the ,meaning smiley

i rest my case
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by RedHotChic(f): 9:10pm On Jun 23, 2008
@poster
can you tell me the reason why Elijah told the widow that do what i asked you first, when she as already explain to him that all what they have is for her and her children. and i hope you are ready of bible and you see what happen next.

Jesus Christ said that Love the lord thy God, the added that love your brother as your self.

Your God should be the first if you want him to put you as his first.

had it been that you've paid the tithe first, then you will be able to take your decision on the matter wether to give the rest out or not beacouse you can decide on it it is your own.

even if you should give the tithe out you might end up loosing both because it is a trap from devil

Why didn't you ask the believer to follow his/her heart and see what God is telling him/her. You quoted elijah's words abi? What about the bible telling us "obedience is better than sacrifice"? Is the tithe not the sacrifice here?
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by MALAMA(f): 9:14pm On Jun 23, 2008
@ Jekad, I hope u know that not every Xtian with all their faith in God's healing power get healed by Him.Some of us Xtians will be cured thru our doctors,some will be healed by God and some will not get any healing from God.The fact that one isnt' healed by God doesn't necessarily mean that one doesn't have enough faith ,nor does it undermine God's power.Tithing is not a prerequisite for your acceptability before God.The truth is that when the situation stares at you in the face,u will reconsider the tithes.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by kinol: 9:17pm On Jun 23, 2008
neo_welsh

I want to ask you a simple and straight forward questions.

We are called Christian.

1. What is the meaning of been called a Christian? I guess it means in Christ likeness (I may be wrong)    

2. Did Jesus pay tithe?

3. If so, to who and where is the bible verse?

4. Why did the Bible refer to us Christian as a Priest
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by RedHotChic(f): 9:18pm On Jun 23, 2008
@ Jekad, I hope u know that not every Christian with all their faith in God's healing power get healed by Him.Some of us Xtians will be cured through our doctors,some will be healed by God and some will not get any healing from God.The fact that one isnt' healed by God doesn't necessarily mean that one doesn't have enough faith ,nor does it undermine God's power.Tithing is not a prerequisite for your acceptability before God.The truth is that when the situation stares at you in the face,u will reconsider the tithes.
Don't mind him, talk is cheap. It's always easier for us to preach forgiveness like Chris did but when it comes to the person that killed our mother or father, we'll love to rewrite the conditions for forgiveness.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by jekad: 9:18pm On Jun 23, 2008
MALAMA:

@ Jekad, I hope u know that not every Christian with all their faith in God's healing power get healed by Him.Some of us Xtians will be cured through our doctors,some will be healed by God and some will not get any healing from God.The fact that one isnt' healed by God doesn't necessarily mean that one doesn't have enough faith ,nor does it undermine God's power.Tithing is not a prerequisite for your acceptability before God.The truth is that when the situation stares at you in the face,u will reconsider the tithes.

ok sweetie i get u now,do u know dat if dat God does not want u to be healed by a doctor u wouldnt be healed,do u know dat?if u r healed by a doctor he permitted it,and not because d dcotor is a professional,professionals fail too u know dat dont u ?dat is why they say do not hope on a man,cos a man will one day fail u smiley
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by jekad: 9:21pm On Jun 23, 2008
RedHotChic:

Don't mind him, talk is cheap. It's always easier for us to preach forgiveness like Chris did but when it comes to the person that killed our mother or father, we'll love to rewrite the conditions for forgiveness.

mind u i am not a male huh,u opened this thread,we all are free to state our opinions here ,im stating mine so y r u complaining?or don't u know that people see things from diff angles?u opened this thread,so we r all free to contribute
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by rossy4life(f): 9:23pm On Jun 23, 2008
it's simple logic, save someone's life 1st.

God will understand and be glad i did it.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by RedHotChic(f): 9:27pm On Jun 23, 2008
mind u i am not a male huh,u opened this thread,we all are free to state our opinions here ,im stating mine so y r u complaining?or don't u know that people see things from diff angles?u opened this thread,so we r all free to contribute
Pelee, i apologise.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by jekad: 9:28pm On Jun 23, 2008
RedHotChic:

Pelee, i apologise.

no problem smiley
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by MALAMA(f): 11:26pm On Jun 23, 2008
@ Jekad,this question of paying ur tithe vs saving ur relative's life has been answered by Jesus years ago when He talked about the issue of corban with the pharisees in Mark 7:1-13
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by jekad: 12:01am On Jun 24, 2008
MALAMA:

@ Jekad,this question of paying your tithe vs saving your relative's life has been answered by Jesus years ago when He talked about the issue of corban with the pharisees in  Mark 7:1-13

so where was tithe written there?ive read it and i did not see tithe there,i saw a different thing,show me a passage where tithe was stressed on then i will believe u
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by MALAMA(f): 12:09am On Jun 24, 2008
Jekad,it is a similar question to the tithe vs relative's life.See d similarity

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Wish There Was A God (A Reply) / Woman Delivers 8 Babies In One Year / Challenge Go All Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.