Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,175 members, 7,939,758 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 11:29 AM

Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? (9847 Views)

Poll: Pay the tithe or pay or your relative's critical operation?

Pay the tithe: 34% (27 votes)
Help the relative: 65% (52 votes)
This poll has ended

To Tithe Or Not To Tithe: The Whole Truth From The Bible. / Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! / To Tithe or Not to Tithe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by aboyo: 10:38am On Jun 27, 2008
pls wen is post jamb date 4 effurun 2008
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by alexleo(m): 2:57pm On Jun 28, 2008
I will pay my tithe. ho ha. There is no way my relative will die because i paid God his due rather than take care of him. Is it not God that owns life? Surely, he will, for the sake of my choosing him first, heal my relative and even if my relative dies, then it means his time is up. I will always choose God first. Period. The best way to pay your tithe is to pay it first before making use of the remaining. Thats how i do mine. I keep it safe until when i go to church on sunday or mid week service. For me it is always GOD FIRST, then me second.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by Tanil: 5:55pm On Jun 29, 2008
What would Christ do? How many people did Jesus heal on the Sabbath, even though it was against the law?
Final word: Be led of the Spirit (only).
Also try to study 'ALL' the Bible has to say about 'Tithe ' not just what's mentioned in Malachi.

Be led.

Thanks.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by Soin: 11:24am On Jun 30, 2008
LMAO! Murderers! Have fun killing your relatives. Do you think God gives two hoots about what you give? I'm sure it's more like how you give it. And why does your tithe have to be monetary? So many of you have re written the bible and have spoilt it. You guys wonder why most unbelievers think Christians are fucking nut jobs. Keep proving me right.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by Soin: 11:26am On Jun 30, 2008
alexleo:

I will pay my tithe. ho ha. There is no way my relative will die because i paid God his due rather than take care of him. Is it not God that owns life? Surely, he will, for the sake of my choosing him first, heal my relative and even if my relative dies, then it means his time is up. I will always choose God first. Period. The best way to pay your tithe is to pay it first before making use of the remaining. Thats how i do mine. I keep it safe until when i go to church on sunday or mid week service. For me it is always GOD FIRST, then me second.
ORLY?

Now you're telling your God what to do. What else? Why not command him then? Can't wait to see you guys in hell. We're gonna have wicked funnn [/sarcasm]
I'm hoping this happens to you. But don't worry, there's NO WAY God will let your relative die. Come testify on Nairaland after the event!
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by alexleo(m): 6:13pm On Jun 30, 2008
Sorry, if you want to go to hell, thats your business, but as for me i am heaven bound by God's grace. So dont bother waiting for me in hell. May God have mercy on you. I still stand my ground, GOD FIRST, ME SECOND. PERIOD.
Soin:

ORLY?

Now you're telling your God what to do. What else? Why not command him then? Can't wait to see you guys in hell. We're going to have wicked funnn [/sarcasm]
I'm hoping this happens to you. But don't worry, there's NO WAY God will let your relative die. Come testify on Nairaland after the event!
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jun 30, 2008
Matthew 23:23 => “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone."
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by KunleOshob(m): 10:09am On Jul 01, 2008
THE FINAL WORDS ON TITHES IN THE BIBLE

Passage Hebrews 7:5
5 And it is true that those descendants of Levi who are charged with the priestly office are commanded in the Law to take tithes from the people--which means, from their brethren--though these have descended from Abraham.

11 Now if perfection (a perfect fellowship between God and the worshiper) had been attainable by the Levitical priesthood--for under it the people were given the Law--why was it further necessary that there should arise another and different kind of Priest, one after the order of Melchizedek, rather than one appointed after the order and rank of Aaron?

12 For when there is a change in the priesthood, there is of necessity an alteration of the law [concerning the priesthood] as well.

13 For the One of Whom these things are said belonged [not to the priestly line but] to another tribe, no member of which has officiated at the altar.

18 So a previous law and command is cancelled because of its weakness and ineffectiveness and uselessness--

What more can i say the bible has said it all. The next time your pastor tells you that tithing is compulsory just refer him/her to this final biblical words on tithes cheesy Don't let any man or woman keep you in bondage grin
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by alexleo(m): 8:16pm On Jul 01, 2008
imhotep:

Matthew 23:23 => “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone."
you seem to be ignorant of the frosty relationship between christ and the pharisees which was as a result of their self righteousness. Jesus said woe unto them so many times in the bible because they lgnored the gospel that he (Jesus) brought to them so he continually condemned their hypochrisy. Christ condemned their attitude of leaving the first thing which is accepting the righteousness that comes by the power of God through Jesus. They paid tithe out of their belief that it is what makes them righteous where as in our own case we believe in the power in the blood that Jesus shed on the cross of calvary to cleanse us from sin. Tithing does not make a sinner righteous, it is only the power in the blood of Jesus that does that when you seek for His forgiveness of your sins. If you want me to give you testimonies of paying tithe in my life i would do that. Nothing can change my stand on paying my tithe first before considering my relation. The first commandment in the bible's ten commandments says- "that shall love the lord thy God with all thine heart", then the second is to love your neighbour as yourself. God remains first anyhow you look at it.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by liftedone(f): 8:58am On Jul 03, 2008
@ neo welsh, thank you for that insight.

Paying my tithe and saving my relative's life are equally important in God's eyes. But the question of using my tithe to save a relative's life would not arise if I do things in the right order.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by KunleOshob(m): 2:47pm On Jul 03, 2008
liftedone :

Paying my tithe and saving my relative's life are equally important in God's eyes. But the question of using my tithe to save a relative's life would not arise if I do things in the right order.

The law of tithes has been repealed in the bible becuase of it's uselessness (Hebrew 7 : 18) so it definitely can't be important or relevant to God, save a relatives life, your pastor won't starve if you don't pay your tithes.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by liftedone(f): 11:05pm On Jul 03, 2008
KunleOshob:

The law of tithes has been repealed in the bible becuase of it's uselessness (Hebrew 7 : 18) so it definitely can't be important or relevant to God, save a relatives life, your pastor won't starve if you don't pay your tithes.
Brother Kunle, it seems as if your problem is with pastors and not the tithe itself. You need to sort that out in your head. Your responses are bordering on the obsessive.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by KunleOshob(m): 9:04am On Jul 04, 2008
@liftedone
That is only part of my problem. My real problem is that FRAUD  is being commited against the children of God in the name of tithes and several churches have inistitutionalized this fraud for material gain. That apart a lot of people have been thoroughly brainwashed into this wicked,greedy and selfish doctrine of Man being presented as God's word. That despite all the biblical evidence against tithing they still want to stick by it because of the fear that their pastors have instilled in them for not tithing. Why don't you address Hebrew 7 : 18 which i quoted in my last post?? i am yet to see a pro- tither that as commented on that verse and several other scriptures which prove tithing is not required of christians.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by agwoko: 12:03pm On Jul 04, 2008
Hello,
i think i will save a soul first because unlike a movie i watched when i was growing up this person in question is seriously sick and the younger of the sick man happen to be a very rich person when the relatives went to him 4 help so that they can take their sick bro to the hospital he keep complaining of no money,but when the man eventually died he bougth a casket worth two million naira to bury him.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by liftedone(f): 11:12pm On Jul 04, 2008
@Kunle, you are fixated on Hebrews 7:18. So we should take one verse of the bible in isolation without recourse to what it says before or after. The whole book of Hebrews points to the superiority of Christ over the law. Try using a bible commentary or a study bible, you will be enlightened.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by KunleOshob(m): 11:14am On Jul 07, 2008
@liftedone
I did not take hebrew 7: 18 in isolation, it is actually fraudulent pastors that take parts of hebrew 7 in isolation to justify tithes. I would actually advise you to go and read hebrew 7 again (the whole chapter) read it with an open mind and with understanding and you would realize that it states clearly that the Levitical law of tithing must change (verse 12) because Jesus christ is not a levite (he is from the tribe of Judah) it further went on to describe the practise of tithing as a weak and useless law. the bible is very clear on that. That apart i challenge you to point anywhere in the bible that tithing is described (ten per cent of income and not produce of land) as it is being practised in the church today, you would find none the reason being that tithing in today's churches is a fraudulent manipulation of Malachi 3 : 8-10.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by kalmebad(f): 3:37pm On Jul 08, 2008
Lets look beyound who the tithing goes to, i have been reaping GOd and each time in expectant of his blessings. Why do we alwaz ask and can't do the little when neccessary, he is a mericiful and looks beyound who gives, his blessings is not limited only to tithers, but why withhold when u can give, i have promised never to be only a receiver but also a giver,there is a great joy when u give.

To the question, you can save ur relative if that's the only option wit the money at that point, we can give tithes in so many ways, even our tithes can go to the less privildges, God kwns the intent and purposes, it's bad not even at all, but where it is channeled to shld not be a thing in question. Give and it shall be given unto u.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by kalmebad(f): 3:50pm On Jul 08, 2008
Lets look beyound who the tithing goes to, i have been reaping GOd and each time in expectant of his blessings. Why do we alwaz ask and can't do the little when neccessary, he is a mericiful and looks beyound who gives, his blessings is not limited only to tithers, but why withhold when u can give, i have promised never to be only a receiver but also a giver,there is a great joy when u give.

To the question, you can save ur relative if that's the only option wit the money at that point, we can give tithes in so many ways, even our tithes can go to the less privildges, God kwns the intent and purposes, it's bad not even at all, but where it is channeled to shld not be a thing in question. Give and it shall be given unto u.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by RedHotChic(f): 4:18pm On Jul 10, 2008
To the question, you can save your relative if that's the only option wit the money at that point, [size=14pt]we can give tithes in so many ways, even our tithes can go to the less privildges, God kwns the intent and purposes, it's bad not even at all, but where it is channeled to shld not be a thing in question. [/size]Give and it shall be given unto u.
I think God specifically requested His tithes to be brought to His house and not under Ojuelegba bridge.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by KunleOshob(m): 4:41pm On Jul 10, 2008
RedHotChic:

I think God specifically requested His tithes to be brought to His house and not under Ojuelegba bridge.

You sooooo wrong check how God directed tithes be administered in the passage below:

Passage Deuteronomy 14:22-29:

22 “You must set aside a tithe of your crops—one-tenth of all the crops you harvest each year. 23 Bring this tithe to the designated place of worship—the place the Lord your God chooses for his name to be honored—and eat it there in his presence. This applies to your tithes of grain, new wine, olive oil, and the firstborn males of your flocks and herds. Doing this will teach you always to fear the Lord your God.

24 “Now when the Lord your God blesses you with a good harvest, the place of worship he chooses for his name to be honored might be too far for you to bring the tithe. 25 If so, you may sell the tithe portion of your crops and herds, put the money in a pouch, and go to the place the Lord your God has chosen. 26 When you arrive, you may use the money to buy any kind of food you want—cattle, sheep, goats, wine, or other alcoholic drink. Then feast there in the presence of the Lord your God and celebrate with your household. 27 And do not neglect the Levites in your town, for they will receive no allotment of land among you.

28 “At the end of every third year, bring the entire tithe of that year’s harvest and store it in the nearest town. 29 Give it to the Levites, who will receive no allotment of land among you, as well as to the foreigners living among you, the orphans, and the widows in your towns, so they can eat and be satisfied. Then the Lord your God will bless you in all your work.

I have high lighted God's instructions on tithes. so i would post no further comment for now cheesy
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by RedHotChic(f): 7:35pm On Jul 10, 2008
You sooooo wrong check how God directed tithes be administered in the passage below:

Passage Deuteronomy 14:22-29:

22 “You must set aside a tithe of your crops—one-tenth of all the crops you harvest each year. 23 Bring this tithe to the designated place of worship—the place the Lord your God chooses for his name to be honored—and eat it there in his presence. This applies to your tithes of grain, new wine, olive oil, and the firstborn males of your flocks and herds. Doing this will teach you always to fear the Lord your God.

24 “Now when the Lord your God blesses you with a good harvest, the place of worship he chooses for his name to be honored might be too far for you to bring the tithe. 25 If so, you may sell the tithe portion of your crops and herds, put the money in a pouch, and go to the place the Lord your God has chosen. 26 When you arrive, you may use the money to buy any kind of food you want—cattle, sheep, goats, wine, or other alcoholic drink. Then feast there in the presence of the Lord your God and celebrate with your household. 27 And do not neglect the Levites in your town, for they will receive no allotment of land among you.

28 “At the end of every third year, bring the entire tithe of that year’s harvest and store it in the nearest town. 29 Give it to the Levites, who will receive no allotment of land among you, as well as to the foreigners living among you, the orphans, and the widows in your towns, so they can eat and be satisfied. Then the Lord your God will bless you in all your work.

I have high lighted God's instructions on tithes. so i would post no further comment for n

Why not read malachi 3:8-12 which says:

8 "Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me.
"But you ask, 'How do we rob you?'
"In tithes and offerings. 9 You are under a curse—the whole nation of you—because you are robbing me. 10[b] Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.[/b] 11 I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit," says the LORD Almighty. 12 "Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land," says the LORD Almighty.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by KunleOshob(m): 12:31pm On Jul 11, 2008
@redhotchic
Tithes was originally instructed and defined in the book of deuteronomy, malachi does not define it. It is only a reminder that you should bring your tithes(food items) to God's store house. So deuteronomy supercedes malachi which doesn't even define it but pastors find it convinient to use it to deceive their congregation. The definition of tithes(ten percent of income) today is completely unscriptural. Money even though (deuteronomy 14: 25-26)it existed then was never used to pay tithes it was always food items and it was also meant for the less priviledge you were also expected to eat out of it. I think it is actually the churches and pastors that are robbing God's people because the tithes which they monopolize for themselves was also meant for the widows, orphans and other less priviledge people. The levites were only allowed to partake of the tithes for a reason which doesn't exist today this reason can be found in deuteronomy 14 : 29 which says: Give it to the Levites, who will receive no allotment of land among you, as well as to the foreigners living among you, the orphans, and the widows in your towns, so they can eat and be satisfied. Then the Lord your God will bless you in all your work. In effect if a pastor wants to collect tithes then he should not be allowed to own property. And pastors cannot even be entitled to tithes because they are not levites and they can never be levites. Even the bible says Jesus christ was not entitled to tithes because he is not a levite (hebrew 7: 11-15) so why are we allowing these pastors deceive us.
Even the malachi you quoted which has been used to rob God's children for centuries never mentioned money it said "food" which agrees with what was written in deuteronomy. The only diferrence iis that deuteronomy goes on to tell us what to do with the food after we take it to the house of God and malachi is silent on that. And of course pastors are capitalizing on this silence and ignorance of majority of "christians"
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by weimar: 6:08pm On Jul 16, 2008
Tithing is something we owe God. How? God owns everything in the Universe. As children of God, we are His steward taking care of business for Him on earth. He only instructs us to set aside or deliver 10% of the profit we make for Him. Where? at the storehouse (church). Besides, it is a tool for us to develop faith. Faith will indeed help us develop a stronger relationship with Christ. In a way it really shows the condition of our heart, that is whether we trust God to take care of our needs or whether God can entrust us with His resources as caretakers.

There are many benefits attached to paying tithes:
Wisdom to manage your affairs
Health and Longevity
Physical and spiritual protection
Loving heart to care for people
Ability to plan for the future
Humble spirit
Stronger and deeper relationship with God

God will bless us when we put Him first in paying our tithes, even though they maybe circumstances there to prevent it. Remember, it is in negative circumstances our faith are tested. God bless you.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by kolaoloye(m): 10:13am On Jul 17, 2008
I thank everybody for their contributions.There is one thing i want you to understand.
If you refuse to pay your tithe in order to help a sick person, the person can still die, then you are owing God.
I think it is better for you to pay your tithe then look elsewhere for money to assist
if eventually the person dies or lives you are not owing God but man.

REMEMBER, GOD IS THE HEALER NOT THE MONEY IN QUESTION. Obedience is better than sacrifice
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by KunleOshob(m): 10:23am On Jul 17, 2008
The human heart is sooo evil/selfish i just weep for christianity. True christianity doesn't seem to exist any more.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by anonimi: 2:49pm On Jul 17, 2008
kola oloye:

I thank everybody for their contributions.There is one thing i want you to understand.
If you refuse to pay your tithe in order to help a sick person, the person can still die, then you are owing God.
I think it is better for you to pay your tithe then look elsewhere for money to assist
if eventually the person dies or lives you are not owing God but man.

REMEMBER, GOD IS THE HEALER NOT THE MONEY IN QUESTION. Obedience is better than sacrifice

How do you pay God if you cannot pay for the medical care of your relative whom you see
Indeed how do you pay God I don't mean how do you pay your pastor (= church)
There are over 6 billion people in this world, of which over 2 billion in India & China, where they are largely pagans (i.e. not Xtians). They are making strides in health and modern life while a 419 parading as god of men (sorry man of god) is conning people into believing they owe god shocked
Next be sey dem go dey ascribe our individual and collective failures to witches and wizards!!! embarassed
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by lustyjay: 5:56pm On Jul 17, 2008
Tithing as a christian is the biggest SCAM on the face of the earth. My sister, take care of your sick ones so God can take care of you. God did not ask Christians to pay tithes. You pay tithes at your own risk!
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by realcele: 4:56pm On Aug 11, 2008
I will definately save a relative than pay a tithe. I belief in applying wisdom to whatever religious group one belong to. When prophet micha wrote about tithe, the purpose was for food to be in my house and ones there is food in one house belonging to God you move to the next house until all houses have food so they say. Remeber the tithe belongs to the lord as stated in the leviticus part of the bible before belonging to levites.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by madamkoko: 5:04pm On Aug 11, 2008
WHERE DID IT SAY IN THE BIBLE THAT TITHE AND OFFERING ONLY HAS TO BE MONETARY!!!!
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by MrCrackles(m): 5:07pm On Aug 11, 2008
I would save a relatives life and if the pastor grumbles, i would whack him across the face bigtime! grin
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by madamkoko: 5:09pm On Aug 11, 2008

THIS IS ABSOLUTE MADNESS. When they say Nigerians have been brainwashed, I can't believe someone actually typed this.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Save A Relative's Life? by Gamine(f): 5:23pm On Aug 11, 2008
Tithe Ko, Tithe ni

Why dont you use YAM and COconut, WHY MONEY

You better save your Relative

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Famous Scientists Who Believed In God / Is It A Sin To Give Offering And Tithe With Old Money? / I Wish There Was A God (A Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.