Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,415 members, 7,974,697 topics. Date: Monday, 14 October 2024 at 09:55 AM

Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only (5586 Views)

Angelo Ogbonna Starts For Italy Against The Us Soccer Team. / Mikel Obi Starts For Chelsea But Turned Down Super Eagles Call / Nba Starts For Heat Haters Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by millco88(f): 8:56pm On Jul 01, 2008
JeSoul:

the same Bease that is yet to play 1 second in the nba? Let us see him play first, then we can confidently say he's a team-changer.
Remember how over-hyped, espn-documentary specialed, drafted-by-MJ Kwame brown was? n he was supposed to be the great center the league had seen in years?
Until these rookies play and prove themselves, I don't buy into them at all.

With all due respect to Kwame, he isn't worth a fine air on Beasley's ass.

Kwame was straight from high school. No one had seen him play against guys his own size and skill level, he didnt do very well. He was drafted on height alone and potential.

Beasley on the other hand has played a year in college and he had one of the best freshman seasons in recent memory. He was easily the best player in a much higher level of competition, can flat out score and rebound, something Kwame does neither of.

Beasley is more of a sure thing b/c he played and dominated in college. Kwame came straight out of HS. Nobody is really a sure thing, but he has a much much better chance than Kwame. Come on.
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by millco88(f): 9:18pm On Jul 01, 2008
A-40:

And who told you Paul Allen will fold his arms and watch you guys buy the best players?

Miami has more flexibility now and will have much more flexibility by then. That Portland team is now stacked with young talent (Aldridge, Roy, Bayless, Oden, Batum, Outlaw, etc.). Allen will be writing alot of fairly big checks in the near future forcing them to go over the cap and would have to settle for the MLE. It would be impossible to win the bidding war against Miami using the MLE (about 4.7 million -- average NBA player salary)

By then, Miami will be well under the cap after Blount, Davis and Marions contracts are all expired.

You have to understand that the NBA is not like baseball where there is no cap.

And even if this wasn't the case, for LeBron, getting his name out so he can become the first billionaire athlete is just as important as winning a title. There is no way he's going to a small market like Portland when the bright lights of NYC or Miami can offer him so much more hype and exposure.
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by maden9ja(m): 9:46pm On Jul 01, 2008
Hello landers,

Wow, it's been a while since I posted on this topic,

I just want to give my 2cents about the recent NBA draft,

I think OJ Mayo is not getting the credit that he deserves, Kid is a big time player, I remember seeing him on CNN back when he was in junior high school and also watching an ESPN program on his high school team in Kentucky or something,

Anyhow, I'd still pick him over Derrick Rose in a heartbeat and until I'm proven wrong, I think he's a better player.

I think the Bulls made a big mistake by not taking Beasley, they have all they need at the backcourt position - Hinrich is a solid player, just becos they underachieved as a team last season doesn't mean he's no more fuel in his tank, Now their backcourt is crowded and there'll definitely be some trade imminent,

I think Jerryd Bayless is going to be solid, so would DJ Augustin, I'm also happy that Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, got drafted, tho twas in the 2nd round. Guy is going to be a solid defender,

Your thots Landers?
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by JeSoul(f): 4:24pm On Jul 02, 2008
millco88:

With all due respect to Kwame, he isn't worth a fine air on Beasley's ass.

Kwame was straight from high school. No one had seen him play against guys his own size and skill level, he didnt do very well. He was drafted on height alone and potential.

Beasley on the other hand has played a year in college and he had one of the best freshman seasons in recent memory. He was easily the best player in a much higher level of competition, can flat out score and rebound, something Kwame does neither of.

Beasley is more of a sure thing b/c he played and dominated in college. Kwame came straight out of HS. Nobody is really a sure thing, but he has a much much better chance than Kwame. Come on.

yeah I do agree Beasely has a better chance of becoming something. I just like to wait and see what happens. wink
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by doyin13(m): 5:48pm On Jul 02, 2008
Kwame Brown could have been something. . . .Its a shame he paid
more attention to his local hamburger joint than to his jumphook.
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by millco88(f): 5:57pm On Jul 02, 2008
doyin13:

He has butterfingers, his biggest weakness IMO
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by JeSoul(f): 6:10pm On Jul 02, 2008
doyin13:

Both he and Olowokandi are fighting for the title of biggest #1 pick bust of all-time. . . but Kwame is def winning! smiley

I was watching the game on tv when he was booed everytime he touched the ball by his home crowd in LA last season. . . I felt bad for him, but it is his fault.
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by doyin13(m): 6:11pm On Jul 02, 2008
Butter fingers is okay at least if you can play defence.

He was a seven footer with some athleticism before all the fat.

He could have been a notch better than Tyson Chandler.
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by millco88(f): 7:19pm On Jul 02, 2008
doyin13:

Butter fingers is okay at least if you can play defence.

He was a seven footer with some athleticism before all the fat.

He could have been a notch better than Tyson Chandler.

No, relatively small hands can be OK, if he had a brain, another weakness.

His b-ball IQ was incredibly low.
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by millco88(f): 7:26pm On Jul 02, 2008
JeSoul:

Both he and Olowokandi are fighting for the title of biggest #1 pick bust of all-time. . . but Kwame is def winning! smiley

I was watching the game on tv when he was booed everytime he touched the ball by his home crowd in LA last season. . . I felt bad for him, but it is his fault.

I would nominate Sam Bowie. He got drafted before Jordan smiley

I dont even know how Kandi jumped up so high. He had a decent sophomore campaign the year prior to the draft and noone heard about him. Suddenly, here's a 7 footer dropping 22 & 11 at a smaller D1 school. GM's drool at any big man who averages 20 & 10 in college, and the Clippers bit it hard. Same goes for Raef LaFrentz that year, practically a 20-10 guy for one season at KU, and he goes #3.
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by doyin13(m): 7:29pm On Jul 02, 2008
@made.n.9ja

I also felt the Bulls should have picked Beasley. For one he is a proven scorer
and one thing the Bulls have lacked the past few seasons are chaps who can get them
points when they get in a funk.

I think the Bulls are hoping Rose has the kind of impact Paul and Williams have had in New Orleans
and Utah respectively. For their sake I hope the gamble pays off. If he proves anywhere as talented
as those two point guards, this team has the tools to dominate the east for a bit.
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by doyin13(m): 7:33pm On Jul 02, 2008
@MILLCO

i don't think any of those drafts are as ridiculous as Dumars picking Milicic
above Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, Dwayne Wade, David West.
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by JeSoul(f): 1:41pm On Jul 03, 2008
doyin13:

@MILLCO

i don't think any of those drafts are as ridiculous as Dumars picking Milicic
above Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, Dwayne Wade, David West.
Oh men I almost forgot about that! That was a uniquely boneheaded move grin. I think people don't get on him much about it becos he's won a championship recently.
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by A40(m): 5:10pm On Jul 03, 2008
@doyin
I think you have a point there they look solid at the guard position and what they needed was a big man but then again Hinrich has not been doing the business so i guess thats why they went the PG route

@made n 9ja
I like O.J Mayo too but i really hope he can focus on his basketball he seems like someone that could easily get carried away by the bright lights and glamour of the NBA

Kwame Brown and D.J Mbenga are arguably the worst centers in the League i will pick Ericka Dampier as a close third those cats are a disgrace to all good centers that have ever played the game

@Jesoul
If you had Kwame Brown in Boston you would boo him too.How did that dude make the NBA?
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by gabelogan(m): 12:24am On Jul 09, 2008
@ a-40
@ a-40
u've forgotten centres like jerome james (7'1), loren woods (7'2) shawn bradley (7'6), olumide oyedeji and all those white centers in the league.
has anyone noticed that micheal beasely is smaller than the height he is listed at. he is listed at 6'10 but ive noticed he looks at bout 6'7-6'8. i was watchin an nba summer league game and i saw him stand close to tyrus thomas (who is 6'cool and he was actually shorter that tyrus thomas.

finally, looking foward to watching greg oden play in the league.
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by JeSoul(f): 1:57pm On Jul 09, 2008
Elton Brand goes to the Sixers for a whopping $82 mill over 5yrs = Philly just became a legitimate threat in the east  angry  guess Iguodala needs to make some room as he is no longer "the man" in philly.
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by doyin13(m): 2:18pm On Jul 09, 2008
Well if he can stay healthy sha. . . .All in all, a better deal than the Josh Smith signing
they were considering. That would have been a disaster.

But how about the Clippers. . . .They sign Baron, but then lose Brand and now look like
they will lose Maggette.

The Warriors also move forward to go backwards, if Maggette signs for them. That would
mean Monta Ellis moves to the point. Not a terrible move, cause brother was almost unstoppable
at times last season.
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by A40(m): 2:56pm On Jul 09, 2008
@gabe_logan
I thought i was the only one that noticed that the guy doesnt exactly look like a 6'10 oh well thats Miami's problem not mine

@Jesoul
Now thats a step in the right direction for the Sixers they could use with someone at the backcourt though

@doyin
Hmm i am not sure the Warriors would benefit from losing their franchise player for an inconsistent swingman like Maggette moving Ellis to PG could kinda reduce his explosiveness undecided and also put him under pressure as well
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by doyin13(m): 3:10pm On Jul 09, 2008
@a-40

I don't think their backcourt is that bad sha. Dre Miller is a great PG.

Maybe an upgrade at SG perhaps. Their current one is decent sha. I don forget the guy name sef

about the warriors . , .exactly- - - - -moving forward to go backwards.
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by A40(m): 4:35pm On Jul 09, 2008
@doyin
Decent is more like it they are not ready to dominate the East yet.Cleveland and Orlando are the teams i am looking at especially Cleveland those guys pushed Boston to the limit and if you ask me they only won that series because they had homecourt advantage if only they could get someone half as good as Lebron
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by millco88(f): 8:07pm On Jul 09, 2008
gabe_logan:

@ a-40
@ a-40
u've forgotten centres like jerome james (7'1), loren woods (7'2) shawn bradley (7'6), olumide oyedeji and all those white centers in the league.
has anyone noticed that micheal beasely is smaller than the height he is listed at. he is listed at 6'10 but ive noticed he looks at bout 6'7-6'8. i was watchin an nba summer league game and i saw him stand close to tyrus thomas (who is 6'cool and he was actually shorter that tyrus thomas.
finally, looking foward to watching greg oden play in the league.

I didn't know you rebound the ball w/ your head. Anyway, Beasley has a wingspan of over 7 feet and a standing reach of 8'11", greater than Noah and Horford, who are both centers in the league. Beasley's wingspan and standing reach more than compensates for his height.
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by A40(m): 7:01pm On Jul 10, 2008
@millco
8'11? lol what is he a palm tree?
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by millco88(f): 7:46pm On Jul 11, 2008
A-40:

@millco
8'11? lol what is he a palm tree?

With his arms up. . .basically
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by A40(m): 9:41pm On Jul 11, 2008
Yah i know what you mean thats really tall i wonder what Yao's would be 10'11
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by gabelogan(m): 1:11am On Jul 13, 2008
whatdyu guys think bout new york knicks acquisition (signing) of chris duhon?
personally, i feel they dont need him, too many point guards (steph, nate, mardy collins, fred jones). they would have done better if they could sign a decent back up centre and/or power foward.

and jermaine o'neal to the raptors, tough backcourt the raptors have there with o'neal and bosh
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by A40(m): 4:12pm On Jul 14, 2008
@gabe_logan
Another decent player to add to the long list of decent players you already have
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by A40(m): 4:40pm On Jul 17, 2008
@Jesoul
Why did you guys sell Posey? shocked hmm i wouldnt want yall going the Miami route that guy has good luck and is always up for it come playoff time

@J-girl
Congrats on getting Posey that guy wins ring everywhere he goes who knows he might do it for yall
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by JeSoul(f): 4:54pm On Jul 17, 2008
angry  angry  I guess it was inevitable, I kind of expected it.

The dude's motivation is not to win a championship, he's got 2, his goal is to get paid! and good for him in getting the max he could. The NBA is a cutthroat leauge and the players must look out for their good so I don't blame him one bit. He's got a great personality and just an overall nice guy and I will be rooting for him in NO, except of course when they play the Celtics smiley

And I think NO has a decent chance to do some damage in the playoffs, they've got a very good core of players now. I don't think LA will repeat as west champs - too much competition.

Now who are the Celtics planning on getting to replace him? Corey Mag. is already off the market   
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by A40(m): 2:40pm On Jul 18, 2008
@Jesoul
25 mil for a 31 year old is not a bad deal and he has always been a journeyman of some sorts so i am not too suprised

Who are the Mavs moving for? Mr Cuban and Mr Carlisle we are waiting for your next move
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by JeSoul(f): 2:51pm On Jul 18, 2008
A-40:

@Jesoul
25 mil for a 31 year old is not a bad deal and he has always been a journeyman of some sorts so i am not too suprised
  abeg he should go for the money and take care of himself and his family. The teams are all about business and do whats best for them, the players must also do the same. All the talk about team-spirit and loyalty is severely overrated, most especially in the nfl.

Who are the Mavs moving for? Mr Cuban and Mr Carlisle we are waiting for your next move
  I don't even think they're any real quality free agents left on the market are there? Cuban's next move might be a trade but I won't expect one so soon after the Kidd deal.
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by A40(m): 4:42pm On Jul 18, 2008
@Jesoul
Abi ooh its all about the Benjamins these days American Sports and their crazy salary caps sef if only i took my basketball more serious back in them days

You are right on that one and Jason Kidd so far has not been able to solve our problems i think another trade is our best bet some players just gotta go Ericka Dampier,Devean George,Eddie Jones
Re: Nba Starts For Heat Lovers Only by JeSoul(f): 4:55pm On Jul 18, 2008
A-40:

You are right on that one and Jason Kidd so far has not been able to solve our problems i think another trade is our best bet some players just gotta go[b] Ericka [/b] Dampier,Devean George,Eddie Jones
    lol, that name never gets old to me, its funny everytime smiley.
Yeah a trade is possibly on the horizon, but thing is the names you listed are not exactly good chess pieces. I don't see them as coveted players that other teams will jump up for joy to trade for. The best bet right now I think is to develop the team you have now and see what happens or Cuban can shell our the $$$$, be willing to pay heavy on the lux tax if he brings in a big name.

Abi ooh its all about the Benjamins these days American Sports and their crazy salary caps sef if only i took my basketball more serious back in them days
    grin lol, if only. Me sef I wonder if I had kept on playing tennis, na me for dey carry trophy for Wimbledon couple weeks ago  grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Germany, Serbia, Ghana, Australia: World Cup 2010 Group D / All About Suarez's Bites (PICS) / Nigerian Television Authority & Super Eagles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.