Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,674 members, 7,951,822 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 02:53 AM

USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. (57163 Views)

Please Sign This Petition To Increase Nigeria's Minimum Wage. / MINIMUM WAGE: Oshiomhole Disowns Govs, Backs Workers / How Long It Takes To Earn USA Minimum Wage Around The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by ayobase(m): 8:15pm On Sep 15, 2013
imperiouxx:

Who's this comparing 2 unequal situations? Different living expenses, different channels money goes. Even going beyond the 40 hrs per week.

You're just seeking attention and you've got it on the frontpage. angry angry

The last time I checked, Seun and Mukina aint complaining!

U can make it a case for urself....like I care!
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by vokalguy(m): 8:15pm On Sep 15, 2013
atlwireles: This's how you send yourselves to the land of suffering. Find out, what kind of life you live in California with $10/hr job.

You hit the nail on the head!
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by abdulkodir: 8:32pm On Sep 15, 2013
they khow right way
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 8:38pm On Sep 15, 2013
But, right here in 9ja am earning over 2000$ monthly.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by playboy19(m): 9:01pm On Sep 15, 2013
ayobase: The state of California's minimum wage of $10 (N1,500) per hour to start by 2016. It seems it is about $8 (N1,200)at the moment.

A US citizen that works 10 hrs daily for 20 days gets approximately N300,000 ($2,000) per month!

Nigeria's is N18,500 ($123) per month. Meaning N92 ($0.6) per hour pay.

Why won't people wanna run go greener pasture.

#Im just saying ni o#

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/9/12/bill-set-to-raisecaliforniaminimumwageto10.html

You know absolutely nothing about what you speak
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by idonetayar: 9:08pm On Sep 15, 2013
GatJokez:

Ok here OP, your post is very biased and misrepresenting the truth. First off, why select CA, who has probably the highest minimum wage? In general, most states' minimum wage is around $7.50 per hour. Next, it is uncommon to work 10 hours per day and is total bs. A full time job is 8 hrs per day x 5 days per week = 40 hours per week. By law, anything over 40 hrs requires overtime pay and for that reason employers don't allow it. Now a days, most jobs hire part time, which means you get 20-25 hrs per week. Yup, deduct fees and taxes and there's nothing left to live on. Just to rent an apartment and pay basic expenses is close to impossible for minimum wage workers. Oh, like others said, CA min wage is not enough to live in a safe decent environment. Hope you don't believe what you wrote undecided

regardless
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 9:14pm On Sep 15, 2013
Godogwu: fact is that the person in Nigeria earning $2000 a month is living way better than his/her counterpart in the US.....

ROFLMAOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dude, even if you earn $1million/day in Nigeria, and I earn $10k a month here I'll live waaaaaayyyyyy better than you!

Your police thatll kill you for no reason? Your unsafe and dirty society? Your loud booming generators? Carbon Monoxide everywhere? No electricity? 18th Century Trains? Crazy Mentality from the general public? Ignorant and backwards leadership from the top? Death trap as roads? Lawless society? No justice in the courts? Lack of investigative capabilities on the part of the police? Decrepit hospitals? No social welfare for the infirm and the elderly? Substandard Education? No workers rights? Politicians rich as hell, their followers poorer than sewer rats....

What in the hell were you thinking when you wrote that crap? Ok, so why aint you back in ur country if thats how you feel about this one? Feel free to go back to your Nigeria where everything works better than the U.S.

2 Likes

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by manny4life(m): 9:23pm On Sep 15, 2013
As for everyone attacking me so because of my comment, na true wey I talk. Nigeria has her problems, I agree but to say that $10/hr would cut it in this America wey I dey so, you never lie finish, and in a state like CA... Keep dreaming, wake me up when it's 2019. As for me o, I do not support the increase in minimum wage because it shrinks the economy, businesses move to another state.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by manny4life(m): 9:27pm On Sep 15, 2013
kingoflag:

So move back to Africa and enjoy $0.06/hr u ungrateful Homo SOB!

You never get tired of stalking me abi? Oya go find a dingaling and sit on it, after which you can choke on it... Fooolll

Yes, I'm moving back to Africa, Nigeria and my lovely Nnewi soon while you stay in your NY and be the slave you are. Even slave sef get level, your own level is the bottom of the bottom...No redemption for you at all, this is why I pity you. Shiooor, yeye dey smell... Abegi,

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Godogwu: 9:45pm On Sep 15, 2013
kingoflag:

ROFLMAOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dude, even if you earn $1million/day in Nigeria, and I earn $10k a month here I'll live waaaaaayyyyyy better than you!

Your police thatll kill you for no reason? Your unsafe and dirty society? Your loud booming generators? Carbon Monoxide everywhere? No electricity? 18th Century Trains? Crazy Mentality from the general public? Ignorant and backwards leadership from the top? Death trap as roads? Lawless society? No justice in the courts? Lack of investigative capabilities on the part of the police? Decrepit hospitals? No social welfare for the infirm and the elderly? Substandard Education? No workers rights? Politicians rich as hell, their followers poorer than sewer rats....

What in the hell were you thinking when you wrote that crap? Ok, so why aint you back in ur country if thats how you feel about this one? Feel free to go back to your Nigeria where everything works better than the U.S.

Lool, forever ranting... you done?

and your high and mighty Us With all the racial bs, psychopaths kidnapping people for more than 10 years, serial killers, random shootings, the bleeped up judicial system, crazy people shooting 6 year olds just because they had arguments with their parents....Nahh G, you can keep your America. They have arguably the best Educational system and thats why i'm here. At once i'm done, i'm out on to return on vacations or just to chill for a bit.

I'm sure you'll live better than me when i'm making $1m a month in Nigeria *Laughs*, Your very emotional comments are always pitiful. Some of you are in so much denial like i'm just perplexed. You'll be alright though.....hopefully America gives you all you need. Later G.

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by debbleopto: 9:45pm On Sep 15, 2013
taiocol: is dangote reacher than i am.

Mr Tai oko, it seems you have your billions in the dream world, but you cannot spend it here in the physical world.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by debbleopto: 10:02pm On Sep 15, 2013
stagger: You can make N8 and spend N3, leaving you with N5 (Naija).

OR

You can make N30 and spend N28, leaving you with N2 (US).

Stop comparing us with the US. The only good thing they have going is that they have a social security structure, which is totally absent here. Apart from that, nothing!

believe me it is not every one that will swallow your assertion. the balance you mentioned in Nigeria is by corruption. is it only food you eat? what of approximated bill of Nepal, the water you buy, the rent the landlord increase anyhow, the transport fare that. increase as a result of uncontrollable agberos, police extortion, Lasman extortion and tolling; and the tax your company deduct on the 18,000 naira. are you thinking right before commenting?

2 Likes

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by EHoudini: 10:10pm On Sep 15, 2013
Ur analysis and comparison is severely flawed and as such worth no salt... Standard of living, tax, vat etc. don't deceive urself
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 10:23pm On Sep 15, 2013
Baybe: Who is bro? undecidedundecidedundecided
Sorry oo, baby oku grin As I touch and no feel anything, I come assume say na we we undecided
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Allenkee: 10:31pm On Sep 15, 2013
ayobase: The state of California's minimum wage of $10 (N1,500) per hour to start by 2016. It seems it is about $8 (N1,200)at the moment.

A US citizen that works 10 hrs daily for 20 days gets approximately N300,000 ($2,000) per month!

Nigeria's is N18,500 ($123) per month. Meaning N92 ($0.6) per hour pay.

Why won't people wanna run go greener pasture.

#Im just saying ni o#

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/9/12/bill-set-to-raisecaliforniaminimumwageto10.html

WAS AMERICA DEVELOPED AS NIGERIA AT 53?
MIND YOU AMERICA IS OVER 200 YEARS.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by manny4life(m): 10:34pm On Sep 15, 2013
Godogwu:

Lool, forever ranting... you done?

and your high and mighty Us With all the racial bs, psychopaths kidnapping people for more than 10 years, serial killers, random shootings, the bleeped up judicial system, crazy people shooting 6 year olds just because they had arguments with their parents....Nahh G, you can keep your America. They have arguably the best Educational system and thats why i'm here. At once i'm done, i'm out on to return on vacations or just to chill for a bit.

I'm sure you'll live better than me when i'm making $1m a month in Nigeria *Laughs*, Your very emotional comments are always pitiful. Some of you are in so much denial like i'm just perplexed. You'll be alright though.....hopefully America gives you all you need. Later G.

Dude needs serious reality check, can you imagine, with $10,000 he will live better than someone who earns $1million in Nigeria, tell me this isn't slave mentality talk? undecided undecided undecided

I've always said that he's mentally ill, I don't know who released him from Yaba left, he'll manage to earn $10,000 annually while his mates are earning earning $1million, they'll come to the U.S., dash him "obele ego" and he'll be jumping up like an excited frog. See wetin poor man talk dey cause... Chai, tufia...Ubiam (poverty) is a curse, it shall never become, I reject it.

Bros, me sef dey like you, let me earn $1million in Nigeria than the so-called $10,000 here. Hehe, at least with $1million, I can make several trips to the U.S., even with a first class ticket and stay at choice hotels, but him earning $10,000 and nothing, he will struggle to even buy ticket let alone spend money for Naija... cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by BankuTilapia: 10:56pm On Sep 15, 2013
Nigerians and their usual UTTER STUPIDITY grin cheesy grin..... Why don't u compare slums in Nigeria n U.S. and why don't u compare basic necessities in Nigeria n U.S. cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by ceejayluv(m): 11:01pm On Sep 15, 2013
manny4life:

Dude needs serious reality check, can you imagine, with $10,000 he will live better than someone who earns $1million in Nigeria, tell me this isn't slave mentality talk? undecided undecided undecided

I've always said that he's mentally ill, I don't know who released him from Yaba left, he'll manage to earn $10,000 annually while his mates are earning earning $1million, they'll come to the U.S., dash him "obele ego" and he'll be jumping up like an excited frog. See wetin poor man talk dey cause... Chai, tufia...Ubiam (poverty) is a curse, it shall never become, I reject it.

Bros, me sef dey like you, let me earn $1million in Nigeria than the so-called $10,000 here. Hehe, at least with $1million, I can make several trips to the U.S., even with a first class ticket and stay at choice hotels, but him earning $10,000 and nothing, he will struggle to even buy ticket let alone spend money for Naija... cheesy cheesy cheesy
Guy, get the $1 million first na....

2 Likes

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by coolsegun(m): 11:10pm On Sep 15, 2013
Nigeria is a beautiful country. No place like home. Life in America and Nigeria are not the same. Majority of them there pay high tax that will reduce their money to nothing. Some are even poorer than Nigerians. Home na Home jo.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 11:15pm On Sep 15, 2013
Go 2 us. Wash dead body, clean toilet nd sweep d street wch u cant do in naija. Bring d dollars u wll b welcume. I beg carry me go d next street jare
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by jossypajay: 11:22pm On Sep 15, 2013
I prefer to stay in Nigeria no matter what. No place like home
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 11:25pm On Sep 15, 2013
We are all missing the point..................

The argument shouldn't be the amount of money, but what that money can do to ensure better standard of living.....

For example, if you give me $1 million is the middle of Sahara desert, it might be of no use to be than if you give me water and shade.... (worth couple of dollars to get)

This implies that how people measure the benefits of money is relative, irrespective of the amount they get.

Now, back to the argument!

So if in Nigeria, with a man's $1 million, he can't get chemo for his cancer, he can't get the best security, and can't get the best University education for his kids, etc.... then that amount is meaningless to the man if he considers health, education and peace as ways of measuring standard of living.

Okay, if we all agree that food availability is our variable for standard of living....

A Californian man on a minimum wage of $10/h will be well fed compared to his counterpart in Nigeria earning a meager N18,000.

God help him if Malaria and Typhoid kon strike dat man on N18K...... He may not even live to see next month....

4 Likes

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by adconline(m): 11:37pm On Sep 15, 2013
Godogwu: fact is that the person in Nigeria earning $2000 a month is living way better than his/her counterpart in the US.....
How many Nigerians earn this amount.. Maybe 5-10%.. We are talking about minimum wage in Naija $110 vs US $1200. You are not better when you provide ur generator, diesel, water, security,and road. The problem is that Nigerians don't know how how to monetize these govt services they are paying out of their pocket. Someone who makes $100k/yr in the US enjoys a more comfortable life than someone is Naija who makes $200,000.00.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by bebe2(f): 11:42pm On Sep 15, 2013
wat pains me most is dat pple seem to be so comfortable in that place,

anyways, u dnt miss wat u neva had.

i have tasted the two and i know which i prefer wink

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by adconline(m): 11:47pm On Sep 15, 2013
What's cheap in Naija.
1 piece of cooked chicken breast/thigh=N1000.00=$6.
In the US, $5.99 gets about 4-5 pieces of chicken breats/thighs
MTN. Recharge card: 10k/wk=$60, by 4 wks=$240 with no unlimited talk/text/data plan
In the US, $80 gets unlimited everything for a month.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by JimloveTM(m): 11:52pm On Sep 15, 2013
Cost of living nko? Have u examined that too?
Nigerians are not taxed like they are
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by infolekan(m): 11:55pm On Sep 15, 2013
Godogwu:

it costs more to live in Nigeria than the US? c'mon man, are you even alright?. I'm a student here and my housing alone cost $650 a month (without gas, electricity and all) and its a two-bedroom apt. In every year i'd spend about $7800 (N1.2m) or more on just housing; i could rent a bigger house/apt in lekki, GRA or wuse for that amount.

10 bucks and hr is relatively useless in the us...you are freaking poor!
And what really are you studying there that is not offered in Nigeria.
We're talking minimum wage you're telling us your house rent as a student...how does that correlate?
Why dint you sit down in Nigeria to study instead of acting as an arbiter telling people how difficult it is to survive there.
It's funny when some people think it's ever one in Nigeria that can afford a house or a meal or even start up money to start a business. There are graduates being offered 10,000 here not to talk of the uneducated.
Any country would be terrible for a man who travels there without any plan for what he wants to do and the people that would complain and tell others not to go are the ones who felt they had to leave by all means without ever giving a thought to what they're going to do there.
US is better than Nigeria whichever way you want to look at it.
It's called quality of life and not necessarily the money.

3 Likes

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by infolekan(m): 11:55pm On Sep 15, 2013
Godogwu:

it costs more to live in Nigeria than the US? c'mon man, are you even alright?. I'm a student here and my housing alone cost $650 a month (without gas, electricity and all) and its a two-bedroom apt. In every year i'd spend about $7800 (N1.2m) or more on just housing; i could rent a bigger house/apt in lekki, GRA or wuse for that amount.

10 bucks and hr is relatively useless in the us...you are freaking poor!
And what really are you studying there that is not offered in Nigeria.
We're talking minimum wage you're telling us your house rent as a student...how does that correlate?
Why dint you sit down in Nigeria to study instead of acting as an arbiter telling people how difficult it is to survive there.
It's funny when some people think it's ever one in Nigeria that can afford a house or a meal or even start up money to start a business. There are graduates being offered 10,000 here not to talk of the uneducated.
Any country would be terrible for a man who travels there without any plan for what he wants to do and the people that would complain and tell others not to go are the ones who felt they had to leave by all means without ever giving a thought to what they're going to do there.
US is better than Nigeria whichever way you want to look at it.
It's called quality of life and not necessarily the money.

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by armyofone(m): 12:12am On Sep 16, 2013
LOL I know!! their Tantalizer is a big rip off.
1,600 naira just to eat chicken thigh and some fatty cole slaw at tantalizer shocked?
The ironed grilled chicken at KFC isn't that costly.

adconline: What's cheap in Naija.
1 piece of cooked chicken breast/thigh=N1000.00=$6.
In the US, $5.99 gets about 4-5 pieces of chicken breats/thighs
MTN. Recharge card: 10k/wk=$60, by 4 wks=$240 with no unlimited talk/text/data plan
In the US, $80 gets unlimited everything for a month.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by jossy501: 12:21am On Sep 16, 2013
rozayx5:

Sorry to Ask, are you an Aircraft Carrier undecided
Abeg help me ask am i tire o
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 12:25am On Sep 16, 2013
manny4life:

You never get tired of stalking me abi? Oya go find a dingaling and sit on it, after which you can choke on it... Fooolll

Yes, I'm moving back to Africa, Nigeria and my lovely Nnewi soon while you stay in your NY and be the slave you are. Even slave sef get level, your own level is the bottom of the bottom...No redemption for you at all, this is why I pity you. Shiooor, yeye dey smell... Abegi,

Ummm...Homo... Im at home! Are u st.upid or what? You really expect I'll move to a place where the Police can kill me because of a $0.02 bribe refusal on my part and the President is corrupt as hell conniving in stealing the money meant for the people, while granting out Pardons to fugitives? ! You must be insane!
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by 617aircav: 12:26am On Sep 16, 2013
Allen kee:

WAS AMERICA DEVELOPED AS NIGERIA AT 53?
MIND YOU AMERICA IS OVER 200 YEARS.

dont come with this bullshit. Nigeria is not even in the process of developing. How can a country that rewards thieves ever progress?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Photo: Emir Of Kano And His Daughter / Why I Ran Away From Daura To London – Buhari / I Would Have Picked Obi Again As Running Mate – Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.