Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,643 members, 7,979,188 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 10:45 PM

USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. (57373 Views)

Please Sign This Petition To Increase Nigeria's Minimum Wage. / MINIMUM WAGE: Oshiomhole Disowns Govs, Backs Workers / How Long It Takes To Earn USA Minimum Wage Around The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by ayobase(m): 9:04am On Sep 16, 2013
obo_man: We are all missing the point..................

The argument shouldn't be the amount of money, but what that money can do to ensure better standard of living.....

For example, if you give me $1 million is the middle of Sahara desert, it might be of no use to be than if you give me water and shade.... (worth couple of dollars to get)

This implies that how people measure the benefits of money is relative, irrespective of the amount they get.

Now, back to the argument!

So if in Nigeria, with a man's $1 million, he can't get chemo for his cancer, he can't get the best security, and can't get the best University education for his kids, etc.... then that amount is meaningless to the man if he considers health, education and peace as ways of measuring standard of living.

Okay, if we all agree that food availability is our variable for standard of living....

A Californian man on a minimum wage of $10/h will be well fed compared to his counterpart in Nigeria earning a meager N18,000.

God help him if Malaria and Typhoid kon strike dat man on N18K...... He may not even live to see next month....

Thanks....the ending part got me cracked up!
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by adconline(m): 9:07am On Sep 16, 2013
tpia@:

which chicken are you referring to?

one kfc chicken b.reast (meal including drink and side) is $5.35, google it.

two piece meal starts from $5.35.

unless there's a sale, most chicken outlets dont come as cheap as you're saying.

calorie info: http://www.fastfoodnutrition.org/11_r-kfc/1648_i-original-recipe-chicken--breast-nutrition-facts.html
Don't get it confused. A piece of chicken in Naija does not come with any meal or side a d it's N1000.00=$6.00
Chicken b-reats without meal prices are not expensive in US. 8 pieces without meal=$10.99=N1800.00 U need N10,000=$60 buy that in Naija. Ur 2-piece meal price is still affordable while it cannot get u a piece of chicken in Naija not to talk of a meal..
http://popeyesmenuprices.com/
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by whitedove(m): 9:08am On Sep 16, 2013
segcy.moor:

Me
Loser? Over what ...anyway I won't blame you because you don't know who you addressing
another gbagaun!!!!!!!!
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by adconline(m): 9:20am On Sep 16, 2013
ozo_emeka: Your so-called greener pastures exist solely for us citizens. Foreigners that come to the US do not START off on minimum wage, they start off around $1 an hour or LESS. Go ask the mexicans and people who work in factories.

Uninformed and blind assertion. It's illegal to be paid less than the minimum wage in the US, unless u work in restaurant industry where u make up with tips and gratuities. While the 18K benchmark does not apply to states and private sector in Naija . Aboki gatemen are paid N5K-N10k in a month by their employers.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by adconline(m): 9:25am On Sep 16, 2013
kingoflag:

Dude, out here theres $25 unlimited plans. If you want unlimited international call added its an extra $20 a month!

These dudes--- especially the liars that managed to sneak in here (MannytheLiar4Life and Godogwu)---- are just simply insane.

I forgot that one too. Cheap azz phone plans. $50=N8k can feed one person in a week in the US, u can afford nutritious meal with that amount, try that in Naija and ur enemy will be reading ur eulogy. Peak tin milk in Naija is about N150, while evaporated milk, twice the size of peak is less than N100 in most stores in the US. Even bottled water is too expensive in Naija. Nestlé and Eva brands are insanely expensive. Don't get sick in Naija cos good medications are out of ur reach..
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by debbleopto: 9:26am On Sep 16, 2013
mayten30: can you see how dumb u can be?an average amount u pay for a rent of 3 bedroom flat here in nigeria is around 400k or 500k per year,to get that same kind of house at usa you will spend at least 800 dollars per month depending on the state,800 dollars which is more than 120000 naira monthly,and about 9600 dollars in a year which is about 1.5 million naira,you never calclulate the taxes u go pay ooo,and also some other expenses,na people like u go dey complain say ur family member wey dey usa dey very stingy not knowing and understanding how things work over-there,because you here 8 dollars per hour u just quickly start to dey convert am enter naira and start to dey happy.lol.na the value of the naira make u feel say the money too much,imagine if 1 dollars equals just 10 naira that means 8 dollars per hour for 10 hours will be 800 naira in a day and about 24000 naira per month,

you don't read the OP well. in California the monthly minimum wage is $2000. for 12 months it s $24000 that's around 3.8 million naira a year. that's is the minimum! Now for the giant of Africa, Nigeria for a month it is #18000 and for 12 months it is #216,000. Muntulas is is all these you are using to rent house? won't you eat, what of your wife, children and all the bills and transportation and medical. that's why most of u resorted to over concentrated agbo. 3.8 million naira with quality life and brighter future compared with 216000 naira plus low standard living and not too sure future like ASUU strike and M.SC holders still looking for job or graduate ready to drive trucks with his certificate. May God help you in your analytic reasoning.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Smooyis(m): 9:35am On Sep 16, 2013
Arsenate: If you are honest with yourself, you would know that one can live on 500naira (about 3 dollars) per day (15000 naira per month) in almost all Nigerian towns. I strongly doubt if one can survive with 3 dollars per day in the most American cities.
Not that I'm saying we can't do better but your thread reeks of insincerity.
Sorry o. You no get wife or children, parents or even junior ones living with you. Lets face it #18K is grossly inadequate for anyone per month in a rich country such as ours. Lets all speak against corruption injustice in the land, wether it affects you or not.

2 Likes

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by gbishman: 9:40am On Sep 16, 2013
This revelation is shocking.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Omooba77: 9:44am On Sep 16, 2013
[quote author=ayobase]The state of California's minimum wage of $10 (N1,500) per hour to start by 2016. It seems it is about $8 (N1,200)at the moment.

A US citizen that works 10 hrs daily for 20 days gets approximately N300,000 ($2,000) per month!

Nigeria's is N18,500 ($123) per month. Meaning N92 ($0.6) per hour pay.

Why won't people wanna run go greener pasture.

#Im just saying ni o#

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/9/12/bill-set-to-raisecaliforniaminimumwageto10.html[/quote
Do you know what tax rate is over there?
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by adconline(m): 9:46am On Sep 16, 2013
Naija is doomed! With the way most of us are defending 18K as our minimum wage, if we find ourselves in a position of authority to effect a change, we will still keep the status quo of paying workers peanuts.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by debbleopto: 9:52am On Sep 16, 2013
[quote author=adconline]Naija is doomed! With the way most of us are defending 18K as our minimum wage, if we find ourselves in a position of authority to effect a change, we will still keep the status quo of paying workers peanuts.[/quote

that's what their _father Umaru Dikko said in early 80's that Nigerians are living? well because they have not been eating from dustbin.

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Omooba77: 10:20am On Sep 16, 2013
[quote author=debbleopto][/quote]
Dont allow people to decive you things are not as easy in USA as people present; many people cant come back home cos of shame and flight ticket.................
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by trolling(m): 11:09am On Sep 16, 2013
Omooba77:
Dont allow people to decive you things are not as easy in USA as people present; many people cant come back home cos of shame and flight ticket.................
shame for wetin na,if you get job,just save some money to visit and go back,if u get the right connections,you'll get a cheap flight, i'd rather live comfortable here than settle in that country,if its the basic things in life you'll get here living on minimum wage, even when i lived on minimum wage,i have acquired things you people see as luxury
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Ayowumie(m): 11:18am On Sep 16, 2013
The cost of living in California is really high. For instance, I earn 8 pounds an hour and I barely break even. My rent alone is making me go crazy. When I was in naija in 2012 and i was collecting N150,000 (about 520 pounds). I was practically living large but now that same amount of money can hardly make me live comfortably in London.
This is just to show that although minimum wage in Nigeria is really low (compared to the wealth of the country), you can't comparatively compare it with the cost of living in California
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by bebe2(f): 11:41am On Sep 16, 2013
Ayowumie: The cost of living in California is really high. For instance, I earn 8 pounds an hour and I barely break even. My rent alone is making me go crazy. When I was in naija in 2012 and i was collecting N150,000 (about 520 pounds). I was practically living large but now that same amount of money can hardly make me live comfortably in London.
This is just to show that although minimum wage in Nigeria is really low (compared to the wealth of the country), you can't comparatively compare it with the cost of living in California

you have made ur bed, now lie on it.

u decided to stay in london so deal wit it, social mobility no be curse,

i was in london for 7yrs, my husband was working days and i was working shift. at the end of the month after rent council tax,
travel card and sending money home to family we are left wit nothing.

we sat down thot about it and decided to move to manchester. our rent came down by over 40%.

my point is move house, move county, move town even move state if u have to.

there are pple in nigeria standing in front of the embassy begging for a visa, and pple are here still complaining.

just be grateful.

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by manny4life(m): 11:46am On Sep 16, 2013
kingoflag:

Seriously Manny, whats all this crap? Youre really fighting someone over the net? Dont you have a girlfriend to while away time with?

Haha, look at this bamboozled person, who's fighting you? You really think you're the ish, ....lol. This dude is seriously deluded, whoever released you from Yaba left needs to publicly flogged. Ummm btw, are you done having your way with the thing I asked you to choke on... undecided undecided undecided

Again QUIT WHINING LIKE A LIL BITCHH, just an internet advice. cool cool cool
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 11:57am On Sep 16, 2013
manny4life:

Haha, look at this bamboozled person, who's fighting you? You really think you're the ish, ....lol. This dude is seriously deluded, whoever released you from Yaba left needs to publicly flogged. Ummm btw, are you done having your way with the thing I asked you to choke on... undecided undecided undecided

Again QUIT WHINING LIKE A LIL BITCHH, just an internet advice. cool cool cool
Are you in love with Sagamite too, now? Why the sudden love for using the word "person"? Dude, you need to relax for real.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by tobillionaire(m): 12:10pm On Sep 16, 2013
hw old is U.S, hw old is NIGERIA. Even liberia's age 200yrs yet they cnt b compared to US. WEN NIJA WIL B 100, FINS WIL B NORMAL. TOBILLIONAIRE 4 PRESIDENT!! Nd xperience d different
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by mogzy(m): 12:33pm On Sep 16, 2013
KINgoflag[b][/b]

Abeg respond to my post

I'm on gophone $50/mnth, Please let me into the $25 unlimited plans and more importantly $20 unlimited international call
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by tpia5: 12:35pm On Sep 16, 2013
adconline:
Don't get it confused. A piece of chicken in Naija does not come with any meal or side a d it's N1000.00=$6.00
Chicken b-reats without meal prices are not expensive in US. 8 pieces without meal=$10.99=N1800.00 U need N10,000=$60 buy that in Naija. Ur 2-piece meal price is still affordable while it cannot get u a piece of chicken in Naija not to talk of a meal..
http://popeyesmenuprices.com/

Sounds like you are looking at sales prices, not regular ones.

I will get back to you on that.

And do not forget the health implications of all this fried processed food.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 12:42pm On Sep 16, 2013
mogzy: KINgoflag[b][/b]

Abeg respond to my post

I'm on gophone $50/mnth, Please let me into the $25 unlimited plans and more importantly $20 unlimited international call

Theres various companies out here that offer those sort of plans or a little higher out here. Boost, Metro Pcs, Clear and some other smaller companies. I use Tmobile and theres a plan (because of my job) that enables me pay an extra $20 for unlimited international.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by nduchucks: 12:44pm On Sep 16, 2013
Many of the posts on this thread reveal that many people remain quite ignorant despite the availability of free educational material. Having lived in both the USA and Nigeria for many years, I can say the following with great credibility:

1. It is better to be a poor man in the USA because of safety nets in place.

2. It is better be in the middle class in Nigeria than in the USA.

Nigerians in the middle class in the USA are typically comfortable but most of their earnings go to mortgage, car, and other living expenses. Many are knee deep in credit card debts and are unable to raise enough funds to return home, for obvious reasons, hence their frustration with anything Nigerian. They are the chief critics of Nigeria and make up the internet warriors we see here on NL.

3. If you are fortunate and bright enough to make it to upper middle class or upper class in either country, it wouldn't really matter whether you are in Naija or US.

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by michelism(m): 1:51pm On Sep 16, 2013
Why are most of you getting so much sentimental, claiming some useless patroitism here.It's incomparable! Lets assume a minimum wage worker with #18k spends #500 only on food for a month, that's #15k already.So the remaining #3k can take care of : transport, accommodation, house maintenance, feeding two children + wife?e.t.c. Why do you keep emphasising on USA's 'tax and fuel'? When in reality if an American minimum wage worker, after his taxes and fuel deduction in a month could still have some cash in his pocket if he does not live extravagantly.
How many of you live on #18k/month?
Even a secondary school graduate without responsibilities: wife and children can't solely live. on that!
Pls no abuse! If you're against my post only 'quote' if you are living on the said #18k.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Allohrandy(m): 2:31pm On Sep 16, 2013
adconline:

I forgot that one too. Cheap azz phone plans. $50=N8k can feed one person in a week in the US, u can afford nutritious meal with that amount, try that in Naija and ur enemy will be reading ur eulogy. Peak tin milk in Naija is about N150, while evaporated milk, twice the size of peak is less than N100 in most stores in the US. Even bottled water is too expensive in Naija. Nestlé and Eva brands are insanely expensive. Don't get sick in Naija cos good medications are out of ur reach..
The cheapest plan is $50 for unlimited calls and text. you can only survived on Ramen Noodles with $50 per week. A gallon of milk in most grocery stores cost like $4, 2 dozens of Nestle cost $6. Health care in US is not cheap oooo. Its better to be sick with a small illness in Nigeria than in America. Last year, My friend spend $1500 ( 200,000 naira) just to stitch his injuries on his leg because he could not afford the over priced America health care insurance. prescription drugs cost 10 times in America than it cost in Nigeria. A malaria medicine that cost 250 naira in Nigeria can cost up to $150 in the States if you don't have health Insurance. Why do you think most Nigerian politicians go to Europe and India rather than America for medical treatment.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 6:18pm On Sep 16, 2013
Allohrandy: The cheapest plan is $50 for unlimited calls and text. you can only survived on Ramen Noodles with $50 per week. A gallon of milk in most grocery stores cost like $4, 2 dozens of Nestle cost $6. Health care in US is not cheap oooo. Its better to be sick with a small illness in Nigeria than in America. Last year, My friend spend $1500 ( 200,000 naira) just to stitch his injuries on his leg because he could not afford the over priced America health care insurance. prescription drugs cost 10 times in America than it cost in Nigeria. A malaria medicine that cost 250 naira in Nigeria can cost up to $150 in the States if you don't have health Insurance. Why do you think most Nigerian politicians go to Europe and India rather than America for medical treatment.
Sooooo.... bro....when are u moving back to that Paradise called Nigeria?
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by ayobase(m): 6:57pm On Sep 16, 2013
michelism: Why are most of you getting so much sentimental, claiming some useless patroitism here.It's incomparable! Lets assume a minimum wage worker with #18k spends #500 only on food for a month, that's #15k already.So the remaining #3k can take care of : transport, accommodation, house maintenance, feeding two children + wife?e.t.c. Why do you keep emphasising on USA's 'tax and fuel'? When in reality if an American minimum wage worker, after his taxes and fuel deduction in a month could still have some cash in his pocket if he does not live extravagantly.
How many of you live on #18k/month?
Even a secondary school graduate without responsibilities: wife and children can't solely live. on that!
Pls no abuse! If you're against my post only 'quote' if you are living on the said #18k.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by ayobase(m): 7:05pm On Sep 16, 2013
debbleopto:

you don't read the OP well. in California the monthly minimum wage is $2000. for 12 months it s $24000 that's around 3.8 million naira a year. that's is the minimum! Now for the giant of Africa, Nigeria for a month it is #18000 and for 12 months it is #216,000. Muntulas is is all these you are using to rent house? won't you eat, what of your wife, children and all the bills and transportation and medical. that's why most of u resorted to over concentrated agbo. 3.8 million naira with quality life and brighter future compared with 216000 naira plus low standard living and not too sure future like ASUU strike and M.SC holders still looking for job or graduate ready to drive trucks with his certificate. May God help you in your analytic reasoning.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by adconline(m): 7:10pm On Sep 16, 2013
Allohrandy: The cheapest plan is $50 for unlimited calls and text. you can only survived on Ramen Noodles with $50 per week. A gallon of milk in most grocery stores cost like $4, 2 dozens of Nestle cost $6. Health care in US is not cheap oooo. Its better to be sick with a small illness in Nigeria than in America. Last year, My friend spend $1500 ( 200,000 naira) just to stitch his injuries on his leg because he could not afford the over priced America health care insurance. prescription drugs cost 10 times in America than it cost in Nigeria. A malaria medicine that cost 250 naira in Nigeria can cost up to $150 in the States if you don't have health Insurance. Why do you think most Nigerian politicians go to Europe and India rather than America for medical treatment.

Naija does not have medical professionals and equipment to offer quality care and u talking about cost. Go to a good pharmacy store like ones Palms and Polo Park and ask original Ibruprofene and compare the cost with Naija. If Naija health care is cheap, why are rich Nigerians going for medical treatment abroad?
Back to minimum wage, Naija should pay what Venezuela pays N63k/month.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by manny4life(m): 7:12pm On Sep 16, 2013
kingoflag: Are you in love with Sagamite too, now? Why the sudden love for using the word "person"? Dude, you need to relax for real.

Lol @ in love with sagamite, who gives a shitt? Your opinion is irrelevant, don't matter at all. Haha, imagine this refurbished person asking me to relax, is this coming from persistent troll who's been stalking me from thread to thread, replying every single post even after I asked him to stop, and I ignored you several times thinking you will heed my advice but instead, it fell on deaf ears. Now you're asking me to relax.. You're are sick and mentally deluded, seek help FAST. Why do you care what words I use? If you don't like it, go hang, yet go stand on the highway... Cretin.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by adconline(m): 11:05pm On Sep 16, 2013
tpia@:

Sounds like you are looking at sales prices, not regular ones.

I will get back to you on that.

And do not forget the health implications of all this fried processed food.
No need searching for prices of food in Yanks, which are very cheap.. Fact is that the price for a piece of chicken in Naija-1000=$6 can get a 2piece chicken &meal in US. Our argument has never been about their health implication. After all how much does someone who makes 18k a month have to be thinking of health implications, when he/she eats garri/fufu everyday
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Omotolaaraujo(f): 12:37am On Sep 17, 2013
I wish there was a program that took government officials from Nigeria and brought them to the US and showed them how Americans run their institutions and taught them about democracy. It would freak them out. Nigerian officials are lazy and don't have to produce results.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by ayobase(m): 1:08am On Sep 17, 2013
hardbody:

Very myopic analysis.

How much do you think corporate organisations pay in Nigeria depending on your level ?

What is the tax implication of what you earn in both worlds?

What are the financial liabilities to the earner as is being compared?

What guarantee is there that the jobs are all over the place for the taking, irrespective of where you are?

Nothing wrong in wanting to elope or jump ship to the US, UK or wherever in double hell anyone wants to go to, however, i ask, why are some Tokunbos coming back to Nigeria to take up employment, are those mega hourly pays not available to them?

Have you noticed that Nigerians spend more than the westerners when they come over to your world? Where do you think the money is coming from and please note, the huge spenders are not all politicians.

How about you find something meaningful to analyse than raise issues with no substance. If you have fun living in the western world, enjoy it, i know people that will not leave their well paid employment in this country to come pick up your mega hourly pay (yours sincerely inclusive).

When i need to holiday abroad, i will, when i need to work to make the money, i do it here, capic??

u better dont give yourself hypertension!

im here chilling, and u r there just vexing!

easy does it...go read again what I wrote!

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Prof. Osinbajo Reacts To The Postponed Election On Facebook / George Floyd Dies After minesota Policemen Choke Him For 8 Minutes / I Am Afraid I did Not Succeed In The Election In Kogi, Bayelsa & Rivers - Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.