Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,639 members, 7,921,391 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 01:22 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 - Travel (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (459849 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 12:11am On Oct 25, 2013
seeker88:
Nice thread! Very informative!
Read thru d thread and it seems you, lentywilly and I graduated frm d same schl, though I graduated frm PET dept.

@Lentywilly, please I need your advice n tips on getting a good score as urs in ma GRE. I'm preparing for fall 2014 intake. Pls what preparatory materials are very good for d GRE?
@others, pls your advice n opinion will be so much appreciated.
Thanks all.

Grubers and Barrons are the potent spices you need to make a good egwusi soup outta GRE. cool
grin

I'm serz though. smiley

As a science masters student, I suppose, you'll need to focus on quantitative. Not forgetting the verbal aspect, you'll also need a good score there as it will contribute to swelling your overall GRE scrore.

And you'll need intensive preparations. You wouldn't want to write the exam twice.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 12:12am On Oct 25, 2013
Amefrica:

tongue

tongue
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 12:20am On Oct 25, 2013
realshel: @Ms Nas You are right . I'm thinking of changing my school to Devry University NY campus. what you think about this all d gurus in da house
What am I right about abeg? sad

And did you just say DeVry? shocked shocked
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 1:07am On Oct 25, 2013
Ms Nas:
What am I right about abeg? sad

And did you just say DeVry? shocked shocked

grin grin Hahhhahahaha.

So, Ms Nas, you advised him to switch to Devry, eh? grin grin

You were so right! cheesy grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by seeker88(m): 1:28am On Oct 25, 2013
lentywilly: What a small world, welcome on board Bro. Fall 2014 is ok. But you need intensive preparations right now, be committed and serious, concentrate more on quantitative for the GRE. I'll advice you to write TOEFL too as to be at the safer side when the VO asks for standardized tests. Lastly make researches on schools that best suites your career path, usnews.com can help. Hit me a PM.
A small world indeed bro! Thank you very much...
Pls, is one month enough to prepare for the GRE?....cos I intend taking d exam in a month time so as to start turning applications to schls.....haven't registered for d exam though.
I've actually done my TOEFL n scored 91/120, buh I'm really scared of getting a low score in d GRE....especially in Verbal....#deep sigh#
I look forward to getting a financial aid from any of d schls I will turn ma applications to...so what range of GRE score can earn me such aid/grant? I also hope my undergrad cgpa (4.23/5.00) will help?

Thank you so much....I don sama you PM sharpaly!...lol.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by seeker88(m): 1:43am On Oct 25, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Grubers and Barrons are the potent spices you need to make a good egwusi soup outta GRE. cool
grin

I'm serz though. smiley

As a science masters student, I suppose, you'll need to focus on quantitative. Not forgetting the verbal aspect, you'll also need a good score there as it will contribute to swelling your overall GRE scrore.

And you'll need intensive preparations. You wouldn't want to write the exam twice.
Thanks boss!...nice pieces of advice...Oshe!
Haven't heard of Grubers b4 now. I know of Barron, Kaplan and Princeton Review. I will search for that anyways.
The quantitative samples that I've seen seem quite easy, unlike the verbal ones which are rather tough 4me......maybe I just need to buckle up sha.

And I just wanna thank all of you here cos your comments n pieces of advice have really 'gingered' my morale to start preparing hard for this exam. I've got great courage here frm you guys!
#time to sit-up n study, no more laziness...lol#

More opinion n suggestions are still welcome...
You guys rock!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 2:09am On Oct 25, 2013
conyema12: Done.

Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 2:21am On Oct 25, 2013
realshel: @Ms Nas You are right . I'm thinking of changing my school to Devry University NY campus. what you think about this all d gurus in da house

Devry!!!! This is how I'd turn my steer wheel because Devry is approaching

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 4:28am On Oct 25, 2013
imperiouxx:

Devry!!!! This is how I'd turn my steer wheel because Devry is approaching
grin grin Agbaya
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 4:30am On Oct 25, 2013
bigfrancis21:

grin grin Hahhhahahaha.

So, Ms Nas, you advised him to switch to Devry, eh? grin grin

You were so right! cheesy grin
Nna, the devil is a laya!!! me I no know anything about it oo. Abegi oo grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 4:45am On Oct 25, 2013
Ms Nas:
grin grin Agbaya

cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by conyema12(m): 6:54am On Oct 25, 2013
Hi guys I got this mail from one of the schools for my spring admission. What do you think I should do?

Dear applicants,
The Graduate Admissions committee is in the process of
making recommendations.The admissions process is focused on
linking incoming graduate students who wish to pursue a thesis
with a faculty advisor.If a faculty member has not agreed to
serve as your advisor, the committee would like to know if you
would want to pursue the non-thesis MS option.If you have
questions about this, please refer to our website and don’t
hesitate to contact me or Ms X .Please note that this
email does not indicate whether or not a faculty member has
agreed to serve as your advisor.

Sincerely urs

Mr Y
Associate prof
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by lentywilly: 7:07am On Oct 25, 2013
seeker88:
A small world indeed bro! Thank you very much...
Pls, is one month enough to prepare for the GRE?....cos I intend taking d exam in a month time so as to start turning applications to schls.....haven't registered for d exam though.
I've actually done my TOEFL n scored 91/120, buh I'm really scared of getting a low score in d GRE....especially in Verbal....#deep sigh#
I look forward to getting a financial aid from any of d schls I will turn ma applications to...so what range of GRE score can earn me such aid/grant? I also hope my undergrad cgpa (4.23/5.00) will help?

Thank you so much....I don sama you PM sharpaly!...lol.
Cool CGPA. 1month Prep? Unless you study 24hrs for 1month. To me, start applying to schools, prepare for the GRE 3months time, write it by ending Jan 2014. You'll have thousands of words to get conversant with. @financial aid/grant ask the group gurus,likes of Imperiouxx, big Francis, Ricky and s☺ on. All the best bro, Futoites don't dull.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 7:16am On Oct 25, 2013
imperiouxx:

cheesy

cool See as imperiouxx handsome!! I never knew you were this cute. cheesy The pic is so cool. You go don run things wella wink

BTW! My sister's still single, you may want to have her grin

#NoHomo
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by iykedancastro(m): 7:39am On Oct 25, 2013
lentywilly: I finished 2011, I'm sure your course advicer was Osama...
baba u can say dat again. Wen I enta obama land I go reason dem say osama reincarnated in one HOD lyk dat..lol. d man finish us bt baba pass am. I jst pray I wunt need him 4my reference letter.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 7:40am On Oct 25, 2013
seeker88:
Thanks boss!...nice pieces of advice...Oshe!
Haven't heard of Grubers b4 now. I know of Barron, Kaplan and Princeton Review. I will search for that anyways.
The quantitative samples that I've seen seem quite easy, unlike the verbal ones which are rather tough 4me......maybe I just need to buckle up sha.

And I just wanna thank all of you here cos your comments n pieces of advice have really 'gingered' my morale to start preparing hard for this exam. I've got great courage here frm you guys!
#time to sit-up n study, no more laziness...lol#

More opinion n suggestions are still welcome...
You guys rock!!!

@Bold...please never use those 2 books to prepare for GRE, Kaplans especially. The quantitative part of Kaplans is too easy for the harder real-life scenario. Grubers and Barrons will both take you a thorough and rigorous preparation, thus preparing you for the real-life exam conditions. I used both. I have a cousin who wrote GRE before and used only Kaplans to prepare. I went to his house one day and went through the Kaplans book and discovered its inadequacy. I advised him to switch to Grubers or Barrons immediately if he wanted to do well in the exam. I dropped the soft copies of both books with him and left. He didn't heed to my advice and went on with Kaplans. He wrote the GRE exam and scored below 285. Now he's preparing to rewrite the GRE again, this time he's using Grubers and Barrons to prepare.

1 month is ok, if you understand and assimilate fast. You'll also need an intensive preparation within that one month.

Your 4.23/5.0 CGPA is very much ok. You'll land at around 3.60/4.0 on the US 4-point scale, which is quite laudable.

Success.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 7:41am On Oct 25, 2013
Ms Nas:
Nna, the devil is a laya!!! me I no know anything about it oo. Abegi oo grin grin

grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 7:42am On Oct 25, 2013
Imperiouxx! You've put on weight o! You don dey enjoy oyibo food baa? See your cheeks. grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 7:52am On Oct 25, 2013
conyema12: Hi guys I got this mail from one of the schools for my spring admission. What do you think I should do?

Dear applicants,
The Graduate Admissions committee is in the process of
making recommendations. The admissions process is focused on
linking incoming graduate students who wish to pursue a thesis
with a faculty advisor.If a faculty member has not agreed to
serve as your advisor, the committee would like to know if you
would want to pursue the non-thesis MS option.If you have
questions about this, please refer to our website and don’t
hesitate to contact me or Ms X .Please note that this
email does not indicate whether or not a faculty member has
agreed to serve as your advisor.

Sincerely urs

Mr Y
Associate prof

He is trying to say that if no professor/lecturer picks you to serve as your project supervisor when recommendations are being made, that your next option will be to pursue the non-thesis masters option. Masters is usually run in two ways - the thesis option(where you'll do project work) and the non-thesis option(where you'll take more courses than in the thesis option, and maybe write a paper).
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 7:59am On Oct 25, 2013
bigfrancis21: Imperiouxx! You've put on weight o! You don dey enjoy oyibo food baa? See your cheeks. grin grin

Wetin if I nor talk?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by iykedancastro(m): 8:15am On Oct 25, 2013
seeker88:
Nice thread! Very informative!
Read thru d thread and it seems you, lentywilly and I graduated frm d same schl, though I graduated frm PET dept.

@Lentywilly, please I need your advice n tips on getting a good score as urs in ma GRE. I'm preparing for fall 2014 intake. Pls what preparatory materials are very good for d GRE?
@others, pls your advice n opinion will be so much appreciated.
Thanks all.
wow following u asap.. we might end up inspiring each oda n wch yr r u.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by kings144: 8:18am On Oct 25, 2013
i admire and commend your polite way of answering questions.you are a wonderful human being.

Please advice on my constant visa refusal under section 214(b),since 2009 till date.

I have visited united states for up to 8 times from 2005 to 2009,i have never over stayed or violated the terms of my visa,nor committed any sort of crime.in fact i have never spent more than 30 days in any of the visits,at least to the best of my knowledge.

I have more than enough evidence to demonstrate my family and financial ties to my home country,but to my greatest surprises,in each interview,the visa officer simply looks at me and hand down the refusal notice with little or no question,nor a demand for any documentary evidence which makes me to believe that there is a caveat on my record that would make it impossible for me to obtain a u.s visa ever again.

I have properties in choice places with certificate of occupancy from the government.my family and i just returned from a vacation in Canada in may,2013.i have a thriving businesses here in Nigeria,which has always been vetted by u.s commercial service Lagos.i have had visas and traveled to schengen countries,united kingdom and the likes,with a satisfactory travel history outside Nigeria over the last 10 years

my last visa interview in October 2013,to attend power generation conference and exhibition in Orlando Florida,under the auspices of u.s commercial service turned out negative and the interview went as thus;

VO; you are going for power gen international.....?

ME; yes power generation conference and exhibition in Orlando Florida
(VO took sometime to read something from her system)

VO; u were in Canada recently?

ME; yes i went for a vacation with my wife.

VO; is your family over there?

ME; no my family is here in Nigeria.
(VO got busy typing some stuffs in her system before handing the usual refusal notice to me)

i sent an appeal to the Niv chief and the reply came back just like the generic refusal notice stating that i could not prove my ties and that the officer was not convinced.

i intend to apply again immediately or what is the best way to go about this?
This is most embarrassing as my workers will go to the embassy and come out with a visa comfortably.

Thanks a lot
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by idalex: 8:26am On Oct 25, 2013
Ricky Rozay:

Replied you...

good morning bro, I did not get ur reply, I've cheched several times. pls can u resend it again.
thanx
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by iykedancastro(m): 8:46am On Oct 25, 2013
bigfrancis21:

@Bold...you're welcome fall 2014 prospective. Welcome to the brotherhood. I don't. mean Ogboni brotherhood o grin grin

Any which way, you're welcome. smiley

Where other fall 2014 prospectives? Where y'all at?

No. It isn't a red flag to use both dad and uncle's accounts. However its advisable that you stick to one. Pick one and stick to it. And make sure that the one you're picking has his account balance equal to or greater than the total expenses stipulated by your school for one year.

3.74/5.0 will land you above 3.35/4.0. My friend converted his 3.73/5.0 CGPA to the US 4-point scale and got 3.38/4.0. That is if you use WES. ECE is a well-known GPA slicer. cry

You sound intelligent. I'm quite assured that you'll share with us your successful interview experience here in less than a year's time. smiley
The boss himself.. thanks 4d encouragement .. i guess i jst hv to do my own quota by preparing well 4my GRe..u R much appreciated.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by RickyRozay: 9:54am On Oct 25, 2013
idalex:

good morning bro, I did not get ur reply, I've cheched several times. pls can u resend it again.
thanx

Sent u a PM message nw.. Reply back. Then i will reply u wth the useful info... Thats hw the NL PM works.

Cheers..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by RickyRozay: 9:55am On Oct 25, 2013
@Obotoung, where are you bro? You didn't give us a feed back on how your Visa interview went...

Waiting to hear your success story. Pls share it wth everyone so others can learn from it as well..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 10:13am On Oct 25, 2013
@walspring if you are going for fall u can check out southern arkansas i think its 1300 SAT for full scholarship. Saw it on their website onetime. Except im mixing it up with a different school

And then someone i know said she hot abt 15k worth scholarship from east tennesee ( sat and essay) never checked their website just second hand info

Congrats on ur score, if i may ask what materials did u use to prepare and how long?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by RickyRozay: 10:35am On Oct 25, 2013
olu16: @walspring if you are going for fall u can check out southern arkansas i think its 1300 SAT for full scholarship. Saw it on their website onetime. Except im mixing it up with a different school

And then someone i know said she hot abt 15k worth scholarship from east tennesee ( sat and essay) never checked their website just second hand info

Congrats on ur score, if i may ask what materials did u use to prepare and how long?

DONT get it twisted bro... Most schools in the US will ask for that kind of score you mentioned above for a FULL ride scholarship or partial if you have that score which is 1300 in the Critical Reading and Maths sections..

They dont include the Writing section of the SAT, because they feel that section is as good as a Bonus to students..

This is how the SAT is being graded;

Critical Reading - 800

Maths - 800

Writing - 800

Total score - 2400..

A perfect score is scoring 1600/1600 in both Critical Reading and Maths section OR scoring 2400/2400 for the Overall score.

So if one can have a score which ranges from 1300 - 1600 in both the Critical Reading and Maths section, you can qualify for a FULL scholarship to most schools in the US that give scholarships to international students..

Contact your desired school and know their requirements for International Students Scholarship Application.

But seriously speaking, that kind of score no easy to get ooo. Unless say ur brain is like dt of a computer, grin grin then u can try it out, but if ur brian no fit carry dt kind score, no kill urself oooo, make person brian no go BLOW with Heavy load capacity. grin grin grin

Cheers!!!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by RickyRozay: 10:52am On Oct 25, 2013
@Walspring, you can also try out Howard university..

They give scholarships to students with your score range..

A friend of mine who scored BELOW what you had in the SAT, got scholarship to howard university and he is already in the US studying there...

You can try em out too as well...

Cheers!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 11:25am On Oct 25, 2013
Thanks ricky rozay, never knew that always thought it was the overall score.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by seeker88(m): 12:14pm On Oct 25, 2013
lentywilly: Cool CGPA. 1month Prep? Unless you study 24hrs for 1month. To me, start applying to schools, prepare for the GRE 3months time, write it by ending Jan 2014. You'll have thousands of words to get conversant with. @financial aid/grant ask the group gurus,likes of Imperiouxx, big Francis, Ricky and s☺ on. All the best bro, Futoites don't dull.
Thanx boss. Choi!.... 24hrs ke?dats crazy!.....make I no go see 'benzene'...lol. I will chill n prepare more then.

@Big Francis, Imperiouxx, Ricky n others....pls wat range of GRE scores can earn some1 a financial aid/grant (GA, Full scholarship or something) in US uni...Engineering major. Thank you all.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by seeker88(m): 12:30pm On Oct 25, 2013
bigfrancis21:

@Bold...please never use those 2 books to prepare for GRE, Kaplans especially. The quantitative part of Kaplans is too easy for the harder real-life scenario. Grubers and Barrons will both take you a thorough and rigorous preparation, thus preparing you for the real-life exam conditions. I used both. I have a cousin who wrote GRE before and used only Kaplans to prepare. I went to his house one day and went through the Kaplans book and discovered its inadequacy. I advised him to switch to Grubers or Barrons immediately if he wanted to do well in the exam. I dropped the soft copies of both books with him and left. He didn't heed to my advice and went on with Kaplans. He wrote the GRE exam and scored below 285. Now he's preparing to rewrite the GRE again, this time he's using Grubers and Barrons to prepare.

1 month is ok, if you understand and assimilate fast. You'll also need an intensive preparation within that one month.

Your 4.23/5.0 CGPA is very much ok. You'll land at around 3.60/4.0 on the US 4-point scale, which is quite laudable.

Success.
You're too much bro, thank you sooo much!
Thank God I found this thread, I was actually thinking of preparing with Kaplan n Princeton Review cos they're d ones avaialable to me now, and I once heard that Princeton is good....buh finally, I really do appreciate your candid advice n concerns here. Pls, could you help me with d soft copy of Grubers n Barrons materials?

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (501)

Travelling To Canada / All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.