Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,523 members, 7,978,735 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 01:15 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 - Travel (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (462261 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by olupentane(m): 12:36pm On Oct 25, 2013
I hail Gurus in the house
I will like more enlightenment on these points.
1. It is preferable to write the GRE before applying to schools
Ets is supposed to send one's score to four schools free of charge, will they accept the schools during registration or after the test result is out?
2. If one should get a scholarship for the whole MSc program is it compulsory the sponsor's statement of account should have the amount on the. I-20?
Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by seeker88(m): 12:42pm On Oct 25, 2013
iyke dan-castro:
wow following u asap.. we might end up inspiring each oda n wch yr r u.
Korekt!....I dey follow back boss. Sure, we will inspire each oda along d way. You mean d year I graduated frm schl?...2011.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by idalex: 1:01pm On Oct 25, 2013
Ricky Rozay:

Sent u a PM message nw.. Reply back. Then i will reply u wth the useful info... Thats hw the NL PM works.

Cheers..

thanx I've replied
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 1:16pm On Oct 25, 2013
Amefrica:

cool See as imperiouxx handsome!! I never knew you were this cute. cheesy The pic is so cool. You go don run things wella wink

BTW! My sister's still single, you may want to have her grin

#NoHomo

@ first bold. And I dey gently ooo.

@second bold, don't let me join her case with those I'm still trying to settle.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 1:19pm On Oct 25, 2013
bigfrancis21: Imperiouxx! You've put on weight o! You don dey enjoy oyibo food baa? See your cheeks. grin grin

My brother, na the same way I dey ooo just little change in the way I laugh undecided. Studies no let pesin enjoy life. Sooner sha, all would be fine. Thanks!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 1:22pm On Oct 25, 2013
imperiouxx:

@ first bold. And I dey gently ooo.

@second bold, don't let me join her case with those I'm still trying to settle.

Hahahahahaha!!!!! grin Oxymoron of the highest order... So, help you God! smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 1:28pm On Oct 25, 2013
kings144:

Please advice on my constant visa refusal under section 214(b),since 2009 till date.

I have visited united states for up to 8 times from 2005 to 2009,i have never over stayed or violated the terms of my visa,nor committed any sort of crime.in fact i have never spent more than 30 days in any of the visits,at least to the best of my knowledge.

i sent an appeal to the Niv chief and the reply came back just like the generic refusal notice stating that i could not prove my ties and that the officer was not convinced.

This surprises me. You've done what I would have suggested that you should do, I mean by writing them and request for the reason you keep getting visa denial despite the fact that you've been to the US up to 8 times, never violated any rules and you got your family here in Nigeria.

Best of luck to you next time sir!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 1:35pm On Oct 25, 2013
Ricky Rozay: @Obotoung, where are you bro? You didn't give us a feed back on how your Visa interview went...

Waiting to hear your success story. Pls share it wth everyone so others can learn from it as well..

A good reminder.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 1:40pm On Oct 25, 2013
seeker88:
Thanx boss. Choi!.... 24hrs ke?dats crazy!.....make I no go see 'benzene'...lol. I will chill n prepare more then.

@Big Francis, Imperiouxx, Ricky n others....pls wat range of GRE scores can earn some1 a financial aid/grant (GA, Full scholarship or something) in US uni...Engineering major. Thank you all.

In most schools, grad students need to write GRE to get admission and which attracts GA. GRE has no range to secure GA once you meet up the admission GRE requirement of the school and the school isn't much competitive.

Mind you, in most schools you need to apply for the GA separately and it's based on first come first serve.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by UNIXLover(m): 1:44pm On Oct 25, 2013
Hello fam,
One of the schools am applying to said GRE is not part of their requirement for my intending program.and even while filling the application for the course,there is no place to put my gre score in the page.But they strongly stressed emphasis on toeful.

They also indicate that they give GA . Now Question is,
What Criteria will they be using since GRE is not a requirement for my Course? Although i already took the GRE exam and the score is very low (298).and i am not interested in taking the exam again because i am very busy with work (I close really late everyday and work sometimes on weekend).
What information can i ask the the school about how they award GA ?

Thanks Guys.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by seeker88(m): 1:44pm On Oct 25, 2013
imperiouxx:

In most schools, grad students need to write GRE to get admission and which attracts GA. GRE has no range to secure GA once you meet up the admission GRE requirement of the school and the school isn't much competitive.

Mind you, in most schools you need to apply for the GA separately and it's based on first come first serve.
Well understood....thanks bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 1:44pm On Oct 25, 2013
Amefrica:

Hahahahahaha!!!!! grin Oxymoron of the highest order... So, help you God! smiley

lolz! It's also called inference in GRE. wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 1:50pm On Oct 25, 2013
seeker88:
You're too much bro, thank you sooo much!
Thank God I found this thread, I was actually thinking of preparing with Kaplan n Princeton Review cos they're d ones avaialable to me now, and I once heard that Princeton is good....buh finally, I really do appreciate your candid advice n concerns here. Pls, could you help me with d soft copy of Grubers n Barrons materials?
Yes, I used Kaplan and Princeton review, and I scored well above 300. So both are good. You might wanna go on 4shared and download as many soft copies as you can find. All the best!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 1:51pm On Oct 25, 2013
UNIXLover: Hello fam,
One of the schools am applying to said GRE is not part of their requirement for my intending program.and even while filling the application for the course,there is no place to put my gre score in the page.But they strongly stressed emphasis on toeful.

What Criteria will they be using since GRE is not a requirement for my Course? Although i already took the GRE exam and the score is very low (298).and i am not interested in taking the exam again because i am very busy with work (I close really late everyday and work sometimes on weekend).

Thanks Guys.

Get the copy of the GRE scores, attach it with the mail you're sending to them. It WILL be useful when your application meets it's match.

As GRE isn't required such as the case of this school, then other criteria like your CGPA and experience in the field count most. Don't forget your SOP and recommendation too (US believe SO much in good recommendations, they don't treat it with levity)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 1:53pm On Oct 25, 2013
Imperiouxx!!! You be vampire? You no dey sleep? undecided
Oya! Before I open my eyes, go and sleep grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 1:54pm On Oct 25, 2013
imperiouxx:

lolz! It's also called inference in GRE. wink

grin grin Na you sabi. Be safe!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 1:56pm On Oct 25, 2013
Ms Nas: Imperiouxx!!! You be vampire? You no dey sleep? undecided

Wetin nah?!! Ile ti mo already jaree... tongue
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 2:06pm On Oct 25, 2013
I got this for those in need of schools with their GRE scores ranges. Though, I don't know how accurate it is but it should be a good guideline.

http://www.msinus.com/content/gre-universities-486/
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 2:09pm On Oct 25, 2013
Ms Nas: Imperiouxx!!! You be vampire? You no dey sleep? undecided

Hey baby, I had a long day drive to another city yesterday, I got back broken up, went to bed 9:30 pm and woke up today 4 am.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 2:09pm On Oct 25, 2013
Ricky Rozay: @Obotoung, where are you bro? You didn't give us a feed back on how your Visa interview went...

Waiting to hear your success story. Pls share it wth everyone so others can learn from it as well..

I suspect he was denied. I think I saw it coming when he mentioned that he didn't include on his DS160 form that he's married but he intends to mention it to the VO as part of his evidence of strong home ties, which is inconsistency. My only problem was that I saw that his particular post late and replied late - I replied on his day of interview.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 2:12pm On Oct 25, 2013
UNIXLover: Hello fam,

Thanks Guys.

The criteria they'll use are TOEFL, UG CGPA, SOP and quality of your recommendations. US admissions committee are usually fair in their decisions and give everybody level-playing field. If they don't want GRE, bone it and submit the ones they requested for. They'll use the same laid-down criteria for admission for everyone. Yours won't be different. And I'm not sure that going ahead to submit a GRE score will make any difference neither.

Keep your GRE score for your interview day.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 2:12pm On Oct 25, 2013
kings144: i admire and commend your polite way of answering questions.you are a wonderful human being.

Please advice on my constant visa refusal under section 214(b),since 2009 till date.

I have visited united states for up to 8 times from 2005 to 2009,i have never over stayed or violated the terms of my visa,nor committed any sort of crime.in fact i have never spent more than 30 days in any of the visits,at least to the best of my knowledge.

I have more than enough evidence to demonstrate my family and financial ties to my home country,but to my greatest surprises,in each interview,the visa officer simply looks at me and hand down the refusal notice with little or no question,nor a demand for any documentary evidence which makes me to believe that there is a caveat on my record that would make it impossible for me to obtain a u.s visa ever again.

I have properties in choice places with certificate of occupancy from the government.my family and i just returned from a vacation in Canada in may,2013.i have a thriving businesses here in Nigeria,which has always been vetted by u.s commercial service Lagos.i have had visas and traveled to schengen countries,united kingdom and the likes,with a satisfactory travel history outside Nigeria over the last 10 years

my last visa interview in October 2013,to attend power generation conference and exhibition in Orlando Florida,under the auspices of u.s commercial service turned out negative and the interview went as thus;

VO; you are going for power gen international.....?

ME; yes power generation conference and exhibition in Orlando Florida
(VO took sometime to read something from her system)

VO; u were in Canada recently?

ME; yes i went for a vacation with my wife.

VO; is your family over there?

ME; no my family is here in Nigeria.
(VO got busy typing some stuffs in her system before handing the usual refusal notice to me)

i sent an appeal to the Niv chief and the reply came back just like the generic refusal notice stating that i could not prove my ties and that the officer was not convinced.

i intend to apply again immediately or what is the best way to go about this?
This is most embarrassing as my workers will go to the embassy and come out with a visa comfortably.

Thanks a lot

Good afternoon sir. Your case is for visiting visa. Unfortunately I don't know much about US visiting visas.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 2:13pm On Oct 25, 2013
bigfrancis21:

I suspect he was denied. I think I saw it coming when he mentioned that he didn't include on his DS160 form that he's married but he intends to mention it to the VO as part of his evidence of strong home ties, which is inconsistency. My only problem was that I saw that his particular post late and replied late - I replied on his day of interview.

It's bound to happen. I got messages late too.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 2:22pm On Oct 25, 2013
imperiouxx:

It's bound to happen. I got messages late too.

Yea. One's busy schedule leads to one replying messages late. I'm usually busy from morning till evening. That's why I post most times either early in the morning after I wake up or in the evening/night when I'm less busy. I kinda have extra time on my hands today because we closed work early today.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 2:25pm On Oct 25, 2013
imperiouxx:

Hey baby, I had a long day drive to another city yesterday, I got back broken up, went to bed 9:30 pm and woke up today 4 am.
Ajala travel! grin and you no gree come visit me o angry
Amefrica:

Wetin nah?!! Ile ti mo already jaree... tongue
Lool. Day just broke
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by gbopee: 2:28pm On Oct 25, 2013
Good afternoon NL!I've been following this thread,but decided to register today,..I was given an admission in SMSU(Southwest Minnesota State University)to have a degree in Culinology Science.toefl,gre and sat were waived for me(thank God),my i-20 was sent in august but didn't get to me,I went to d post office here in naija bt they were asking for d tracking number that I don't have,I lodged a complain to them in the school,and I received a mail immediately,that another one wld be sent thru fedex,..eventually,I received d 1st one they sent after 7wks,..I've nt received d fedex own,..my question is dis,how valid is d 1st one I received?I have all my documents ready,I'm just waiting for the i-20,so as to book my appointment @ d US embassy,and also,I'm a bit nervous! sadGood afternoon NL!I've been following this thread,but decided to register today,..I was given an admission in SMSU(Southwest Minnesota State University)to have a degree in Culinology Science.toefl,gre and sat were waived for me(thank God),my i-20 was sent in august but didn't get to me,I went to d post office here in naija bt they were asking for d tracking number that I don't have,I lodged a complain to them in the school,and I received a mail immediately,that another one wld be sent thru fedex,..eventually,I received d 1st one they sent after 7wks,..I've nt received d fedex own,..my question is dis,how valid is d 1st one I received?I have all my documents ready,I'm just waiting for the i-20,so as to book my appointment @ d US embassy,and also,I'm a bit nervous!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 2:28pm On Oct 25, 2013
seeker88:
Thank God I found this thread, I was actually thinking of preparing with Kaplan n Princeton Review cos they're d ones avaialable to me now, and I once heard that Princeton is good....buh finally, I really do appreciate your candid advice n concerns here. Pls, could you help me with d soft copy of Grubers n Barrons materials?

I'm glad you realized this on time. Please don't use them, Kaplans especially. The man solved rather too simple questions in his book which when you're solving will make you erroneously see yourself as a genius, only to enter the exam hall and be hit right on the head with the opposite stark reality of the exam.

To get the materials, send an empty email(empty as in no heading, no body content) to selfstudy360@gmail.com and you'll get an automatic email response containing the download links of Grubers and Barrons. Click on each link to download them.

And please take your time to prepare. Don't be in a hurry to go and write the exam. A good GRE score requires quality investment of your time and practice.

Cheers.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 2:29pm On Oct 25, 2013
seeker88:

I'm glad you realized this on time. Please don't use them, Kaplans especially. The man solved rather too simple questions in his book which when you're solving will make you erroneously see yourself as a genius, only to enter the exam hall and be hit right on the head with the opposite stark reality of the exam.

To get the materials, send an empty email(empty as in no heading, no body content) to selfstudy360@gmail.com and you'll get an automatic email response containing the download links of Grubers and Barrons. Click on each link to download them.

And please take your time to prepare. Don't be in a hurry to go and write the exam. A good GRE score requires quality investment of your time and practice.

Cheers.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by seeker88(m): 2:31pm On Oct 25, 2013
Ms Nas:
Yes, I used Kaplan and Princeton review, and I scored well above 300. So both are good. You might wanna go on 4shared and download as many soft copies as you can find. All the best!
Really?....wow! Dat cool......
Thanks for your valuable contribution. I will check 4shared for more prep stuffs.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 2:32pm On Oct 25, 2013
bigfrancis21:

The criteria they'll use are TOEFL, UG CGPA, SOP and quality of your recommendations. US admissions committee are usually fair in their decisions and give everybody level-playing field. If they don't want GRE, bone it and submit the ones they requested for. They'll use the same laid-down criteria for admission for everyone. Yours won't be different. And I'm not sure that going ahead to submit a GRE score will make any difference neither.

Keep your GRE score for your interview day.

There is no crime in submitting it. Anything not needed will only be overlooked. Also, he doesn't know what other credentials his application is competing with? What if some people (4 to 5) of his match provided their GRE scores (though not required) and the grad coordinator has to narrow down the applications to few people (2), then predilection works for those people not him.

I think you know some people are fond of over applying for anything. What they tell you is.... It's not a crime!

Where ever you are not present, let your credentials always take your side. Therefore, I'll do everything that will keep me on top if I were him.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 2:33pm On Oct 25, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Yea. One's busy schedule leads to one replying messages late. I'm usually busy from morning till evening. That's why I post most times either early in the morning after I wake up or in the evening/night when I'm less busy. I kinda have extra time on my hands today because we closed work early today.

Soon, you'll have lot of time when school starts...... Ironically
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 2:35pm On Oct 25, 2013
gbopee: Good afternoon NL!I've been following this thread,but decided to register today,..I was given an admission in SMSU(Southwest Minnesota State University)to have a degree in Culinology Science.toefl,gre and sat were waived for me(thank God),my i-20 was sent in august but didn't get to me,I went to d post office here in naija bt they were asking for d tracking number that I don't have,I lodged a complain to them in the school,and I received a mail immediately,that another one wld be sent thru fedex,..eventually,I received d 1st one they sent after 7wks,..I've nt received d fedex own,..my question is dis,how valid is d 1st one I received?I have all my documents ready,I'm just waiting for the i-20,so as to book my appointment @ d US embassy,and also,I'm a bit nervous!

Fellow Mustang!!!! You aint got no worries.. The same happened to me. My school was about to send the new one b4 i received the 4weeks old on-air I-20..

Pls try to do at least a standardised test.. We're privileged to be the only school in US that offers that course..

Try to defend the course well..

Hope to see you in Marshall soon..

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (501)

USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread / Travelling To Canada / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.