Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,290 members, 7,960,974 topics. Date: Saturday, 28 September 2024 at 01:12 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 - Travel (50) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (461434 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 9:11pm On Nov 07, 2013
Ms Nas:
Gboju soun jor undecided

cry cry
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 9:12pm On Nov 07, 2013
babsharon:
Where did u see that?? lols

grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 9:28pm On Nov 07, 2013
babsharon:
OJAP !!! Thanks bro

I 've replied your msg.. Pls check bro!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by nomso27(m): 9:43pm On Nov 07, 2013
@walspring, thanks bro, i get it now. smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by flynbird(f): 10:24pm On Nov 07, 2013
Wow. I'm lost. sad This thread moves so fast while the other one(Student life in the USA) sleeps a lot. smileyLOL. Congrats to that passed the interview.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by babsharon(m): 10:26pm On Nov 07, 2013
Walspring:

I 've replied your msg.. Pls check bro!
Replied
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by flynbird(f): 10:26pm On Nov 07, 2013
My schedules are a lil better now. If only I could get a campus job. None yet. I just sit indoors most often. There are lots of openings for instructors but most need a masters degree. Besides I don't really fancy lecturing job
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 10:28pm On Nov 07, 2013
flynbird: Wow. I'm lost. sad This thread moves so fast while the other one(Student life in the USA) sleeps a lot. smileyLOL. Congrats to that passed the interview.

Lol.. Even though you get lost, we will find u. I personally will find you.. LOL.. This thread is moving with Jet incase u dont know yet but u are flyn with bird.. Hahhaha. How studies and weather? Hope no much stress sha?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by harkynon(m): 10:28pm On Nov 07, 2013
WHIZBRO: Congratulations to Nomso and Kunlebal.

@godG, sorry about your withdrawn TOEFL, Afe Babalola centre is a cesspool of corruption. Your next TOEFL is on me, come to my office or PM me your details (as I promised on my other thread). You are a good guy and you deserve the best.

As for prospective GRE students, do yourself a favor and write in Ghana. Last time I checked they had Mon - Wed from now till December. Minimize costs by balkanizing your Journey.... You'll spend less than 7k to Ghana. Get hostels @ Tudu instead of an hotel, it will cut cost.

Finally, should Nigerian TOEFL centres be reopened, avoid Ibadan centres like plague, Trust me I know.
@godG and other gurus;
My toefl was also rescheduled to jan. Pls advice. What can I do. I need to write before december on a weekend possibly.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 10:29pm On Nov 07, 2013
nomso27: @walspring, thanks bro, i get it now. smiley

Lets thank God oooo
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by flynbird(f): 10:32pm On Nov 07, 2013
Walspring:

Lol.. Even though you get lost, we will find u. I personally will find you.. LOL.. This thread is moving with Jet incase u dont know yet but u are flyn with bird.. Hahhaha. How studies and weather? Hope no much stress sha?

smiley The cold in this country is something else. It hasn't even started showing yet
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 10:33pm On Nov 07, 2013
flynbird: My schedules are a lil better now. If only I could get a campus job. None yet. I just sit indoors most often. There are lots of openings for instructors but most need a masters degree. Besides I don't really fancy lecturing job

Sowi to hear about that just pray and campus job will come.. I thought you went to US of A for undergraduate study oooo not knowing its Graduate...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by harkynon(m): 10:38pm On Nov 07, 2013
Ashigolo: Hello guys,
My gre and toefl have been rescheduled (nov 16th and 18th respectively) to Linear Assessment in ghana, thanks to you guys. Pls how do travel down and considerably minimize my spending in terms of the fare and accomodation

@Ashigolo, did you pay any fee for the reschedule or how did you go about it cos it wasn't your fault that centres were closed in Nigeria. I would appreciate your response as I am also a victim
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 10:46pm On Nov 07, 2013
flynbird:

smiley The cold in this country is something else. It hasn't even started showing yet

Lol.. Dont worry cos soon you will get used to it and try get necessary clothes for the cold..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 10:47pm On Nov 07, 2013
babsharon:
Replied

Thanks... I got it!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by flynbird(f): 10:52pm On Nov 07, 2013
Are there other ways to apply for the campus job apart from the school website?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 12:18am On Nov 08, 2013
Ashigolo: thanks bigfrancis, i used another friend's card whose acount has been profiled for internet banking. Thanks alot man

You're welcome.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 12:21am On Nov 08, 2013
kunlebal: Sup house, how can I file for my fiancée, I want her to join me next year in california but I didn't include her in my DS 160 Oº°˚˚°ºo

You can bring your lover over on F2 visa.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by RickyRozay: 1:31am On Nov 08, 2013
Congrats Babsharon on your APPROVED US student Visa. Thank God you made it. wink wink

Welcome on board! wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 1:41am On Nov 08, 2013
flynbird: Are there other ways to apply for the campus job apart from the school website?
Did you check the library and cafeteria? They usually have lots of jobs at the beginning of the semester. You probably didn't get one fast because you didn't start searching early. Go there and ask. Nobody will post such jobs on websites. I dunno if your school has a career center. They usually have a list of on-campus jobs
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by OjaP: 2:18am On Nov 08, 2013
kunlebal: Sup house, how can I file for my fiancée, I want her to join me next year in california but I didn't include her in my DS 160 Oº°˚˚°ºo

In addition to what BigFrancis said, she can apply for a F-2 visa if you guys are "legally married". You have to show proof that you will be able to sponsor/take care of her while here. This means she would have no recourse to public funds all through her stay in the US. Many people do that, and you can go through that route if you can defend yourself.

However, I should warn you that this category of visa lists your wife/child as your dependent, so you have to be responsible for them while here. I don't know how this would be possible if you don't have a job to support them. Most of us who go to the embassy paint a picture of a decent job and income. I am so sure your wife would paint that kind of picture too if going for an interview. But does it really make sense to abandon your high-paying job to relocate to the USA where you can't work and depend on a graduate student? These are few of the loop holes you have to close before letting her go to the embassy.

If I were you, I would come here first, study the system for like 6 months, calculate my income, and determine if that is what I really want to do. Unless you plan to leave the USA after your education, getting a green card for your wife would be so difficult. She may be bored to death in this country because she won't be working. And for you, your surest option of getting a green card would be through job. You have to go through the H-1B to green card route if you are lucky to get a company file for you. Since you are married, green card through marriage won't be possible again unless you divorce your wife and marry a citizen - I won't even advise you to do this. It is very risky. But if you do, what would be the fate of your wife? Well, she can re-marry and get a citizen file for her too. And would you end your marriage with your wife because of green card? This is tough to do if you truly love your wife. These processes may take a long time and in most cases could be so frustrating.

This is not to diminish your joy in anyway but just for you to plan very well before bringing your wife here. And like I said earlier, unless both of you plan to go back home after your studies, this may not be the best thing to do. I assume your wife is educated, if YES, let her apply to grad schools and go for a F-1 visa. With that, both of you have good chances of getting a H-1B or even a green card later in life.

Again, congratulations and welcome to the land of the free home of the brave.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 3:37am On Nov 08, 2013
@Ojap, your explanation is so explicit. Keep it up and keep the ball rolling :-) @Babs, congrats-if it's meant to be, it's meant to be:-)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Ashigolo(m): 5:10am On Nov 08, 2013
@harkynon, yes i still paid a rescheduling fee of 50 dollars for my gre coz i cant wait to be rescheduled free of charge as i dnt knw when d centres are likely ro be re-opened. As for my toelf, i registered after the closure of centres so i scheduled directly to ghana. But am sure u will have to pay a re-scheduling fee since u have to re-schedule yourself due to urgency. And last time i checked etstoefl, there are avaiable test dates for november , including weekends in cotonou or ghana.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by RickyRozay: 7:51am On Nov 08, 2013
De Tus: @Ojap, your explanation is so explicit. Keep it up and keep the ball rolling :-) @Babs, congrats-if it's meant to be, it's meant to be:-)

Person go even think say the guy na immigration lawyer self. grin'grin

Goodwork Ojap..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by WHIZBRO(m): 8:03am On Nov 08, 2013
For guys interested in testing outside Nigeria. I'll try to list centres outside Nigerians that are close by anyway.

If u live in the South(West),

Your closest TOEFL centres are in Cotonou

ESCAE School of business and administration, PORT NOVO, Benin Republic.
EPS La Cite University, Cotonou
American Cultural Centre, Cotonou.
(Dates are available every Saturday and sometimes Friday from Nov 16th to January).
Refer to Bigfrancis21's post on how to register or reschedule. (The main thing u need is a debit card configured for Online/Internet Banking with at least a balance of $160 or its Naira equivalent).

* For those who want to go to Ghana, this is especially advisable for those who want to write their GRE too

West African Examination Council(WAEC) Centre. *mind you Corporate headquaters not examination hall, many have missed their exams this way.*

Ghana International School
Linear Assessment Test Centre
Educational Advising Centre(Kumasi).
Dates are available till January, The reg fee for Ghana is however $165($5 more than Benin), prepare accordingly

Cote D'ivoire - Why would you want to go there? Mapouka dey hungry u?.

@Ashigolo, Safe Journey, when you are in Ghana, PM me, I go there most weekends nau with my pple. I might just buy u a plate of Banku with Fish.

Love to da house.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by kunlebal(m): 8:23am On Nov 08, 2013
OjaP:

In addition to what BigFrancis said, she can apply for a F-2 visa if you guys are "legally married". You have to show proof that you will be able to sponsor/take care of her while here. This means she would have no recourse to public funds all through her stay in the US. Many people do that, and you can go through that route if you can defend yourself.

However, I should warn you that this category of visa lists your wife/child as your dependent, so you have to be responsible for them while here. I don't know how this would be possible if you don't have a job to support them. Most of us who go to the embassy paint a picture of a decent job and income. I am so sure your wife would paint that kind of picture too if going for an interview. But does it really make sense to abandon your high-paying job to relocate to the USA where you can't work and depend on a graduate student? These are few of the loop holes you have to close before letting her go to the embassy.

If I were you, I would come here first, study the system for like 6 months, calculate my income, and determine if that is what I really want to do. Unless you plan to leave the USA after your education, getting a green card for your wife would be so difficult. She may be bored to death in this country because she won't be working. And for you, your surest option of getting a green card would be through job. You have to go through the H-1B to green card route if you are lucky to get a company file for you. Since you are married, green card through marriage won't be possible again unless you divorce your wife and marry a citizen - I won't even advise you to do this. It is very risky. But if you do, what would be the fate of your wife? Well, she can re-marry and get a citizen file for her too. And would you end your marriage with your wife because of green card? This is tough to do if you truly love your wife. These processes may take a long time and in most cases could be so frustrating.

This is not to diminish your joy in anyway but just for you to plan very well before bringing your wife here. And like I said earlier, unless both of you plan to go back home after your studies, this may not be the best thing to do. I assume your wife is educated, if YES, let her apply to grad schools and go for a F-1 visa. With that, both of you have good chances of getting a H-1B or even a green card later in life.

Again, congratulations and welcome to the land of the free home of the brave.

wow, thanks boss. really appreciate your write up. my vision and mission statement is GREEN CARD bro. grin after my studies
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 9:28am On Nov 08, 2013
@Rick Ross, Ojap might be an immigration man or something very close to that. U never can tell:-) In this world, anything can happen. I have seen someone who entered Europe from Oceania without a passport. That's why i always pay attention or observe whenever someone is saying something interesting or special:-)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by flynbird(f): 10:02am On Nov 08, 2013
Ms Nas:
Did you check the library and cafeteria? They usually have lots of jobs at the beginning of the semester. You probably didn't get one fast because you didn't start searching early. Go there and ask. Nobody will post such jobs on websites. I dunno if your school has a career center. They usually have a list of on-campus jobs

Oh! What I've been clicking on was employment for lecturing kind of work. I didn't know there's anything like student career center. Going through the website i just found out there's a career office on campus and they have a link on the website where I'll sign in with my student ID. But I've tried to login and it wouldn't go through. Hope its not restricted to only those that have spent at least 2 semesters. I'll have to call them to find out.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by flynbird(f): 10:05am On Nov 08, 2013
Ms Nas:

No I haven't been to the library or cafeteria.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 10:18am On Nov 08, 2013
kunlebal:
wow, thanks boss. really appreciate your write up. my vision and mission statement is GREEN CARD bro. grin after my studies

Kindly check your email cos i sent you message
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by idalex: 11:18am On Nov 08, 2013
good morning house.
@WHIZBRO pls I sent u a PM
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by harkynon(m): 11:48am On Nov 08, 2013
Ashigolo: @harkynon, yes i still paid a rescheduling fee of 50 dollars for my gre coz i cant wait to be rescheduled free of charge as i dnt knw when d centres are likely ro be re-opened. As for my toelf, i registered after the closure of centres so i scheduled directly to ghana. But am sure u will have to pay a re-scheduling fee since u have to re-schedule yourself due to urgency. And last time i checked etstoefl, there are avaiable test dates for november , including weekends in cotonou or ghana.

I was rescheduled to jan 14 at ibadan before. Now checking my profile on ets, I realised it has been cancelled. What can I do now? I need to write this exam before mid december

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (501)

Travelling To Canada / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 / All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.