Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,163 members, 7,884,049 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 10:25 PM

Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen (19971 Views)

Ministerial List: What Buhari Did That Shocked Tinubu, Osinbajo – New Telegraph / We’re Shocked By Buhari’s Support For Gbajabiamila —PDP Reps / Azazi’s Kinsmen Against His Burial In Yenagoa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by write2obi(m): 9:48am On Oct 26, 2013
dont8: ...And here is an article written by Sabella Ogbobode Abidde.

[size=14pt]Jonathan And His Kinsmen[/size]

"In spite of this reality, Jonathan, a man who claims to come from a humble background and poor parentage and lacking shoes and modern amenities, does not see it fit to do anything about the abject condition of his people? What nonsense! How much will it cost to build two major highways and eight connecting roads in and around the Niger Delta? No more than four weeks’ worth of oil export! How much will it cost the oil-producing states to build first-class schools and hospitals, and to provide potable water and clean environment? Less than thirty percent of their yearly budgets! How much will it cost these states, in concert with the federal government, to industrialize the region? Less than twelve weeks earning from oil export."

This President – President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan -- has six sets of problems. First, he is not suited for party politics. Second, he has a limited and provincial worldview, which makes it difficult for him to grasp complex domestic and global issues. Third, in the political arena, at least, he is not loved, feared, or respected. Fourth, he may have steely nerves and the heart of a lion; but outwardly, he is weak and cowardly and scared. Fifth, he lacks the skill to effectively articulate and execute his plans – assuming he has any. And finally, he is not to be a good judge of character. Otherwise, he wouldn’t have appointed seventy percent or more of the men and women he has so far brought onboard.

I intend to return to these observations in the very near future. Here and now, however, my interest is on the president and his kinsmen: men and women from the Niger Delta who are members of his inner conclave. Many – very many of these folks are enemies of progress and growth. Individually and collectively, they have refused to tell the President the whole truth. They failed to tell him the complete and unadulterated truth. The truth they should have told him some six to nine months into his presidency was this: resign or get your acts together! The Ijaw among them should have been more vocal, more direct, and more honest. As a result of their failing, Jonathan and his presidency has been curse to our collective aspirations.

Instead of being honest and patriotic, they urge him on; they sing his praise; they make him believe he is good for the country; they make him believe the country needs and want him; and then they feloniously gloss over his deficits and incompetence. Lately, they’ve been whispering in his ears: “2015-2019 is yours, ordained by the God of Abraham!” What a disservice! What evil! For the Ijaw among the president’s kitchen cabinet, several decades of isolation and exclusion and poverty seem to have severely damaged their humanity and their sense of self to the point where, today, it is all about self-aggrandizements.

Many of the honest and sincere voices among the Ijaw have been silenced. The forward-looking ones have been excommunicated. Those who object to and make their objections public have either been severely frustrated or alienated. The Jonathan Praise Singing Project does not want or need Ijaw men and women who genuinely want the president to succeed. Critics are not wanted. Gadflies are not needed. Rationale minds are not welcome. What the Jonathan Project wants are attack dogs and character assassins. They embrace pathological liars and neurotic cheats and pipe dreamers and snake-oil sellers. In their minds, Nigeria now belongs to them and them alone. Therefore, in Nigeria’s vernacular, “it is time to chop and chop.” And they plan on chopping until 2015 or 2019. After 2015 or 2019, they intend to revive the Niger Delta Crisis.

The questions I have, and have had since Jonathan’s ascension are these: What are we to do about the sorry state of the oil-producing communities? What are we to do about the larger Niger Delta? How do we prevent a reoccurrence of the Niger Delta Crisis? What are we going to do when we run out of oil? What do we do when the lands are no longer able to sustain farming, and the rivers so polluted that fishing is almost impossible? And even if we don’t run out of oil, what do we do when the world discovers alternative source of energy? How do we move Nigeria forward? And who, in the name of the almighty, is going go clean and restore our terrible and sickening environment?

If Jonathan – a son of the soil – does not pay serious attention to the region, on whom should the Niger Deltans place their hopes? If Jonathan does not develop the riverine areas, what right would the Ijaw have to cry on the shoulder of the next president who, definitely, will not be an Ijaw? Since the late-1970s at least, oil has been the dominant earner of foreign exchange; and more than eighty percent of the nation’s budget has come from petro-dollars. Yet – yet – there are no travelable roads and bridges and hospitals and enviable human development and what is commonly referred to as Federal Presence.

In spite of this reality, Jonathan, a man who claims to come from a humble background and poor parentage and lacking shoes and modern amenities, does not see it fit to do anything about the abject condition of his people? What nonsense! How much will it cost to build two major highways and eight connecting roads in and around the Niger Delta? No more than four weeks’ worth of oil export! How much will it cost the oil-producing states to build first-class schools and hospitals, and to provide potable water and clean environment? Less than thirty percent of their yearly budgets! How much will it cost these states, in concert with the federal government, to industrialize the region? Less than twelve weeks earning from oil export.

And so, while Jonathan and a section of his kinsmen (and governors from the oil-producing states) are chopping and misappropriating public funds, they should remember that they will not be in power forever. They may lose elections. They may be impeached. They may become incapacitated by mental or physical sicknesses. They may die. Yes, they may die! And of course, death is a great leveler. And especially in the case of Mr. Jonathan -- whether he remains in power beyond 2015 or not -- he is likely to be the most reviled man in the history of the Niger Delta; and certainly, may become the most despised after General Olusegun Obasanjo.

What Jonathan’s kinsmen should have told him or what they should be telling him is this: “if you can’t effect change and improvements in the economic and political space don’t make it worse; and secondly, stay away from the 2015 presidential elections.” It’s that simple. It is this simple because, as we approach the halfway mark of his presidency, one can hardly point to quantifiable achievements at home and abroad. Especially at home! The Ijaw ethnic group – spread over six states – is still waiting for Jonathan to positively impact their lives. In so many ways, not much has changed in the riverine areas since the Portuguese and the British first set foot in that part of the world more than 700 years ago. The larger Niger Delta region is also waiting. Indeed, the entire country is also waiting.

I don't like what u just did
Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by Nobody: 9:48am On Oct 26, 2013
& pple stil dey beg moni 4 surgery
Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by khamas19: 9:49am On Oct 26, 2013
...a people with virtually zero social capital...a lost people...
Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by gurnam: 9:51am On Oct 26, 2013
Promhize:

Ode what have u done about FFK who stole billions?

The courts are still sitting on his case....and at the appropriate, he will get his judgement....nobody is crying that he is being persecuted.

Why are you people trying to shield a minister that has obviously committed a malfeasance

9 Likes

Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by buoye1(m): 9:52am On Oct 26, 2013
Thief dey build churchGod is in heaven

1 Like

Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by Blaqsmith(m): 9:53am On Oct 26, 2013
These kleptomaniacs kingsmen should also take time to tell Stella Aviation ministry is governmental and should be steered with caution! Shikena

1 Like

Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by dont8(m): 9:53am On Oct 26, 2013
The wise one, have you ever seen any of my kinsmen supporting him publicly?
Promhize:

Ode what have u done about FFK who stole billions?

2 Likes

Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by cleobunny(f): 10:00am On Oct 26, 2013
All these ethnic bigots, you will wake up in the morning search online looking for a topic or story to start ethnic war on nairaland. The yoruba that do this, are from ibadan, osun, ekiti and co. Lagosians don't hate.
Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by caesaraba(m): 10:03am On Oct 26, 2013
gurnam:

Nonsense and it's ingredients

Dolts just full NL these days!

I couldn`t agree more!

1 Like

Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by Ddy(m): 10:07am On Oct 26, 2013
i happen to know stella b4 her ministerial posision. she is a very nice woman. All the projects mentioned was done when she was in PHCH not as a minister. He is honest. i dnt knw if she changed when appointed minister but back then 2000 she was so nice & credible. i suggest Naija shld let her be.

1 Like

Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by Nobody: 10:28am On Oct 26, 2013
cleobunny: All these ethnic bigots, you will wake up in the morning search online looking for a topic or story to start ethnic war on nairaland. The yoruba that do this, are from ibadan, osun, ekiti and co. Lagosians don't hate.

What are you talking about? Someone stole and because she is been criticized, you say they are hating? The money she is using to help her kinsmen, is it out of her salary or from national purse?

If we all join hands as Nigerians to condemn people, irrespective of where they come from, we will all reap the reward.

4 Likes

Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by Classcaptain1(m): 10:28am On Oct 26, 2013
Another set of shoeless and clueless kinsmen grin grin tongue

2 Likes

Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by sCun: 10:29am On Oct 26, 2013
Woman of the people.

2 Likes

Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by Abbycite(m): 10:29am On Oct 26, 2013
Ddy: i happen to know stella b4 her ministerial posision. she is a very nice woman. All the projects mentioned was done when she was in PHCH not as a minister. He is honest. i dnt knw if she changed when appointed minister but back then 2000 she was so nice & credible. i suggest Naija shld let her be.

Do u just say 'let her be'......u must be cr*zy! If not, how do u expect us to curb d menace of corruption. Don't get me wrong, I strongly believe dis is what d majority of d ministries do. But d moment u are caught, there is no hidden place for u under d sun again. Remember Tafa Balogun, Etteh, Bode George are from SW and they are duly persecuted by their fellow kinsmen. So don't ever come here again to tell me to condone corruption.

BOTTOMLINE: The rules of corrption in dis country is 'never get caught'.

2 Likes

Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by sCun: 10:31am On Oct 26, 2013
Woman of her people.

1 Like

Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by cocoduck: 10:32am On Oct 26, 2013
geeworld1: Yes she is trying for her ppl bt the main reason she is there is cos of the aviation job given to her, there was a plane crash n she called it the "THE WORK OF GOD" thats very wrong .......she was meant to look and investigate towards the matter....thats the only blamish part I see in her
When you don't yet know the cause of the accident you can call it an act of god it is until after the investigation that one can pin point exactly what happened. so she is not wrong I do watch this national geographic program called air crash. if you watch the program you will understand that accidents happen at any time and you will also know that you are in a plane that is about to crash does not necessarily mean your death it is usually the actions you take before and just after the crash that mean life or death.

1 Like

Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by nerodenero: 10:33am On Oct 26, 2013
dont8: Why can't you call spade a spade, does corruption knows a region? I give up on you.
Does it matter where she comes from?Besides,she is not a Minister of her Village or Anambra State,for crying out loud,she is a Minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria representing Nigerians home and abroad.If anybody irrespective of your position,tribe and religion is corrupt,such an individual should be jailed.That is how it is done in a normal society and not ours plagued with ethnic bigotry and unwarranted sentiment.

2 Likes

Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by abu12: 10:33am On Oct 26, 2013
cleobunny: All these ethnic bigots, you will wake up in the morning search online looking for a topic or story to start ethnic war on nairaland. The yoruba that do this, are from ibadan, osun, ekiti and co. Lagosians don't hate.

Who are lagosians?

1 Like

Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by Humphreydis(m): 10:34am On Oct 26, 2013
"Ms" stella oduah?!......
Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by MichaelSokoto(m): 10:38am On Oct 26, 2013
JMOI: Oduah is one of the top 3 performing ministers in the cabinet today, that is why she is indispensable. It is clear that all you anti-progress tribalists have failed.
THIEF!
Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by EzePromoe: 10:38am On Oct 26, 2013
Very true.
I agree with you 100%
Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by omenka(m): 10:40am On Oct 26, 2013
“Is it because she is a woman? Other people had
been in that office. She will leave one day and
another person will occupy it,”

And someone would tell me respect a nigga like this. So because she's not going to be there for ever, she should be allowed to run the ministry aground with her insatiable greed and when a successor takes over, they can do thesame...

Is there realy ever going to be a day when we start thinking "Nigeria" in this country

1 Like

Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:42am On Oct 26, 2013
Everyday I see reason why Olusegun Obasanjo is missed. When Fabian Osuji, former Education Minister, was accused of bribing the Senate during his interview to be made a minister, OBJ didn't even set up a panel to look into it: he sacked him. Retaining him would have dented the image of his government.

2 Likes

Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by Erotex(m): 10:43am On Oct 26, 2013
the
woman was yet to fulfil the promise she made to him about
buying him a motorcycle.
“I am hoping that when she
comes in December, she will
give me my own motorcycle,”
he said.
Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by victorazy(m): 10:46am On Oct 26, 2013
JMOI: Oduah is one of the top 3 performing ministers in the cabinet today, that is why she is indispensable. It is clear that all you anti-progress tribalists have failed.
She must be there
Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by MichaelSokoto(m): 10:49am On Oct 26, 2013
It's obvious good name & reputation doesn't mean anythin 2 some ibos, only material wealth, however gotten
Smh sad

4 Likes

Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by airfinance(m): 10:49am On Oct 26, 2013
nigerian and sentiments are like two identical twins,they hadly seperate untill death takes one away.which way my fellow compatriot?
Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by nafiachi(m): 10:50am On Oct 26, 2013
Funny how things tend to backfire sharp sharp, madam Stella may be performing no doubt, but she got carried away becos she is one of the presidents favourite not because she is doing well alone.
I think she has to face the charges levelled against her, this would serve as a lesson to others who think because they are part of the presidents pet then they can do and undo!
Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by Classcaptain1(m): 10:57am On Oct 26, 2013
It is only in a country like Nigeria that criminals and their henchmen are celebrated by their kinsmen just because they get pittance from them every December,can you imagine the I.d.10t saying he is hoping he gets a motorcycle from this woman.it is rather disgusting!we should learn to be blunt with whoever has erred and not pay lip service to certain issues just because 'she is our sister'.

1 Like

Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by awodman: 10:58am On Oct 26, 2013
dont8: ...And here is an article written by Sabella Ogbobode Abidde.

[size=14pt]Jonathan And His Kinsmen[/size]

"In spite of this reality, Jonathan, a man who claims to come from a humble background and poor parentage and lacking shoes and modern amenities, does not see it fit to do anything about the abject condition of his people? What nonsense! How much will it cost to build two major highways and eight connecting roads in and around the Niger Delta? No more than four weeks’ worth of oil export! How much will it cost the oil-producing states to build first-class schools and hospitals, and to provide potable water and clean environment? Less than thirty percent of their yearly budgets! How much will it cost these states, in concert with the federal government, to industrialize the region? Less than twelve weeks earning from oil export."

This President – President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan -- has six sets of problems. First, he is not suited for party politics. Second, he has a limited and provincial worldview, which makes it difficult for him to grasp complex domestic and global issues. Third, in the political arena, at least, he is not loved, feared, or respected. Fourth, he may have steely nerves and the heart of a lion; but outwardly, he is weak and cowardly and scared. Fifth, he lacks the skill to effectively articulate and execute his plans – assuming he has any. And finally, he is not to be a good judge of character. Otherwise, he wouldn’t have appointed seventy percent or more of the men and women he has so far brought onboard.

I intend to return to these observations in the very near future. Here and now, however, my interest is on the president and his kinsmen: men and women from the Niger Delta who are members of his inner conclave. Many – very many of these folks are enemies of progress and growth. Individually and collectively, they have refused to tell the President the whole truth. They failed to tell him the complete and unadulterated truth. The truth they should have told him some six to nine months into his presidency was this: resign or get your acts together! The Ijaw among them should have been more vocal, more direct, and more honest. As a result of their failing, Jonathan and his presidency has been curse to our collective aspirations.

Instead of being honest and patriotic, they urge him on; they sing his praise; they make him believe he is good for the country; they make him believe the country needs and want him; and then they feloniously gloss over his deficits and incompetence. Lately, they’ve been whispering in his ears: “2015-2019 is yours, ordained by the God of Abraham!” What a disservice! What evil! For the Ijaw among the president’s kitchen cabinet, several decades of isolation and exclusion and poverty seem to have severely damaged their humanity and their sense of self to the point where, today, it is all about self-aggrandizements.

Many of the honest and sincere voices among the Ijaw have been silenced. The forward-looking ones have been excommunicated. Those who object to and make their objections public have either been severely frustrated or alienated. The Jonathan Praise Singing Project does not want or need Ijaw men and women who genuinely want the president to succeed. Critics are not wanted. Gadflies are not needed. Rationale minds are not welcome. What the Jonathan Project wants are attack dogs and character assassins. They embrace pathological liars and neurotic cheats and pipe dreamers and snake-oil sellers. In their minds, Nigeria now belongs to them and them alone. Therefore, in Nigeria’s vernacular, “it is time to chop and chop.” And they plan on chopping until 2015 or 2019. After 2015 or 2019, they intend to revive the Niger Delta Crisis.

The questions I have, and have had since Jonathan’s ascension are these: What are we to do about the sorry state of the oil-producing communities? What are we to do about the larger Niger Delta? How do we prevent a reoccurrence of the Niger Delta Crisis? What are we going to do when we run out of oil? What do we do when the lands are no longer able to sustain farming, and the rivers so polluted that fishing is almost impossible? And even if we don’t run out of oil, what do we do when the world discovers alternative source of energy? How do we move Nigeria forward? And who, in the name of the almighty, is going go clean and restore our terrible and sickening environment?

If Jonathan – a son of the soil – does not pay serious attention to the region, on whom should the Niger Deltans place their hopes? If Jonathan does not develop the riverine areas, what right would the Ijaw have to cry on the shoulder of the next president who, definitely, will not be an Ijaw? Since the late-1970s at least, oil has been the dominant earner of foreign exchange; and more than eighty percent of the nation’s budget has come from petro-dollars. Yet – yet – there are no travelable roads and bridges and hospitals and enviable human development and what is commonly referred to as Federal Presence.

In spite of this reality, Jonathan, a man who claims to come from a humble background and poor parentage and lacking shoes and modern amenities, does not see it fit to do anything about the abject condition of his people? What nonsense! How much will it cost to build two major highways and eight connecting roads in and around the Niger Delta? No more than four weeks’ worth of oil export! How much will it cost the oil-producing states to build first-class schools and hospitals, and to provide potable water and clean environment? Less than thirty percent of their yearly budgets! How much will it cost these states, in concert with the federal government, to industrialize the region? Less than twelve weeks earning from oil export.

And so, while Jonathan and a section of his kinsmen (and governors from the oil-producing states) are chopping and misappropriating public funds, they should remember that they will not be in power forever. They may lose elections. They may be impeached. They may become incapacitated by mental or physical sicknesses. They may die. Yes, they may die! And of course, death is a great leveler. And especially in the case of Mr. Jonathan -- whether he remains in power beyond 2015 or not -- he is likely to be the most reviled man in the history of the Niger Delta; and certainly, may become the most despised after General Olusegun Obasanjo.

What Jonathan’s kinsmen should have told him or what they should be telling him is this: “if you can’t effect change and improvements in the economic and political space don’t make it worse; and secondly, stay away from the 2015 presidential elections.” It’s that simple. It is this simple because, as we approach the halfway mark of his presidency, one can hardly point to quantifiable achievements at home and abroad. Especially at home! The Ijaw ethnic group – spread over six states – is still waiting for Jonathan to positively impact their lives. In so many ways, not much has changed in the riverine areas since the Portuguese and the British first set foot in that part of the world more than 700 years ago. The larger Niger Delta region is also waiting. Indeed, the entire country is also waiting.
See Sabilla writing like its GEJ that appropriates money..the 10% community host fund proposed in the PIB is it not one of the ways in providing this basic amenities he listed?But this noble idea is been frustrated by the national assembly...If the man now starts doing all you mentioned your likes will be the first to accuse him of favouring his region at the expense of others.A cottage hospital was recently commissioned in otuoke, we all saw how premium times accused the president of diverting money to develop his village.

This attempt to turn the Niger Delta against the president will not work!
Re: Oduah: We’re Shocked – Kinsmen by Lordlexyy: 11:06am On Oct 26, 2013
Look, i'm not yoruba, but in all fairness, i haven't come across any yoruba man atleast on net or on pages of newspaper trying desperately to shield any of their own from any malpratices like some the easterners does when one of their own is involve. The case of obj and his mis-rule ready comes to mind. People may tagged them back stabbers and all of that, to me that is subjective to individul interpretation. But on a general discourse, they have proven to be more patriotic and sensitive. Come on, corruption has no boundry. It is a manace that affects all of us directly or indirectly. Coming out to defend the Minister when it is obvious she has her hands soil is unpatriotic or moranic. Her removal will not put food on any one's table, but atleast let the right thing be done, that is called bringing sanity into the system.

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tompolo To Face Fresh Charges - EFCC / Metuh Writes Petition Against Judge, Wants Trial Transferred / Fulani Herdsmen Return To Nimbo In Enugu, Threaten To Unleash More Terror

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.