Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,658 members, 7,951,766 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 11:04 PM

So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? (9040 Views)

Am I Wrong In Asking My Husband "How Are You"? / Why You Should Be Careful In Choosing Your Next Of Kin (Photos) / What Is Wrong In Taking Money From Your Hubby's Pocket? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by dayokanu(m): 4:35pm On Nov 22, 2013
You keep traversing between UK and Nigeria you need to stick to whichever.

coogar: necessity my foot!
how many nigerians completed their degrees with college loans? abeg, talk another thing....nigerians come here & pay their school fees in one swoop!

The Nigerians that come there and pay their fees in one swoop are not the average Nigerians, if they are average in income definitely the money would hae been borrowed somewhere and has to be repaid.

of course na, couples don't plan for this before tying the knot. you can just go on the street & snatch a woman then take her to church immediately & marry her. no wonder poverty is bread & butter in nigeria. with such mentality, is there any surprise?

What kind of planning is this you keep talking about? You mean 30yr old men have 100m saved up somewhere to cater for the family? Or was the guy not renting and paying the same 2yrs upfront rent as a single? The average Nigerian worker barely makes enough till the next payday yet in coogars world they make millions a month. The same person who says few make over 100k

hahahaha - see your backward thinking. a daughter will be räped in school? by who? her classmates at age 3-5? her teachers under the full supervision of a canon CCTV?

dayo, you plumb the depths of irrationality when you come up with these excuses. even if my daughter gets assaulted in her school, at least that responsibility has passed over my head unlike you that brought your sëxually abusive nephew from abidjan to look after your child.

i am sure the jury won't need up to 3 mins to send you to 10 years in jail. you will cop a child negligence charge & human trafficking charge of the nephew you brought over from africa. all in your bid to save money.

the chances are 1000000/1 & besides one's daughter getting räped in school can affect both the career couple & the stayathome mum camp. however, your own daughter stands a bigger risk of räpe both in school & in your home. grin

These kids walk to the school bus, they are driven by adult bus drivers, they have adult teachers and school cleaners who can rapee them.

After a certain age they visit their friends who have brothers, uncles and aunties, Or would this stay at home mom, Home school her kids and lock them indoors so they would never have interactions with anyone else so they wont be rappeedd

a drop in income will not lead in a low income area. if my wife & i make £40k per annum each, she's better off staying at home than working after putting to bed.
the UK govt recognises this wife of mine is doing the society at large a huge service so she gets child benefits of about £25k that cannot be taxed. she gets various other benefits ranging from child tax credits, shopping vouchers, paid maternity stipends, etc. all these goodies while staying at home grooming the child to her taste.

if she runs back to work 3 weeks after putting to bed, the child benefit stops. she goes back to her £40k which will be taxed & her takehome pay reduces to £26k. from this £26k, she will have to deduct transport fare, child care cost, lunch, etc plus the fact that she's not there to groom her child to her own taste. after all the deductions, she's reduced to £12k.

i ask again - how are you not penny wise, pound foolish?

Now we are back to the UK.

In the US women get 12weeks paid leave the child is still 2-3months old, So the woman stops working for the rest of the 4yrs till the child is 4 and family lives on one income, If she spaces by 3yrs she pops another just as the first "stay-home" period ends and starts another 4yrs

If she stops at 2 kids she has stayed home for 7-8yrs

Now which career would you drop and return to after 8yrs
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by damiso(f): 4:35pm On Nov 22, 2013
coogar:

how much were you paid after your first baby? i am talking per annum o.
I was working full time so was my husband so I was not entitled to most of the benefits available.Child benefit was the only non means tested benefit and now sef it is, cos one partner earns over £44k you lose it.Living on benefits is crap really. Most of those you see living large on benefits lie that they have no partners.Esp those that married out of country.
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by dayokanu(m): 4:41pm On Nov 22, 2013
damiso:

Biko Coogar pls how can I get this £25k child benefit grin grin grin grin grin For wia.Under ConDems lai lai.Its not a walk in the park like that o.Child benefit is £20.80 a week for the first child and £13.40 for the younger siblings.Thats not even enough for Diapers and Formula if you have a chop chop baby.Tax Credits threshold been reduced to £38k or something.Earn over £44k you lose child benefit altogether.

Dont you know coogar lives in a different world where young couples have 100m saved up, where women make 50k, where a drop in come doesnt affect lifestyle, where women can put a 10yr gap between each child

Its called Lalaland

1 Like

Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by coogar: 4:43pm On Nov 22, 2013
damiso:
I was working full time so was my husband so I was not entitled to most of the benefits available.Child benefit was the only non means tested benefit and now sef it is, cos one partner earns over £44k you lose it.Living on benefits is crap really. Most of those you see living large on benefits lie that they have no partners.Esp those that married out of country.

remember i used the £40,000 wage bracket for both hubby & wife. living on benefit so one's wife can groom her baby is not crap. I have been paying taxes in this country for aeons......when my wife puts to bed, i will still work & pay taxes so why is it crap to take your entitlements?

Nashville:
It is obvious Coogar is one of the people that has made the UK government want to impose a bond on NIgerians. All his arguements are about how to illegally milk the UK system. cheesy

conveniently forgetting mr coogar & his wife had paid taxes for years to fund the grooming of the babies of the other mothers that decided to stayathome with their kids.

your argument is always against logic!!
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by dayokanu(m): 4:45pm On Nov 22, 2013
damiso:

How much benefit does the govt give self?

They just give you barely enough to survive. At the end of the day its beneficial to just work and earn more

In the US, they would give you free housing in a Section 8 if you have very low income. of say less than 10k a yr

Some places dont accept food stamp card to purchase food.

Unless you deny that youre married and claim you are a single mom, You cant qualify for most of these means tested benefit

And the stress to even get it ends up being penny wise pound foolish
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by dayokanu(m): 4:50pm On Nov 22, 2013
coogar:

remember i used the £40,000 wage bracket for both hubby & wife. living on benefit so one's wife can groom her baby is not crap. I have been paying taxes in this country for aeons......when my wife puts to bed, i will still work & pay taxes so why is it crap to take your entitlements?

So with this 40k from one partner, How much do you pay for rent and multiply by 12.

How much is for feeding a month, for transportation, for student loans and other debts, for light, heating, cell phone bills, internet and cable

Furniture and clothing

Now multiply all these by 12 and lets see how a family survive on 40k of one partner in a 12 month period

40k is about 3k per month before taxes when you calclate the taxes how much is the take home pay
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by damiso(f): 4:52pm On Nov 22, 2013
coogar:

conveniently forgetting mr coogar & his wife had paid taxes for years to fund the grooming of the babies of the other mothers that decided to stayathome with their kids.

your argument is always against logic!!

Once the household income is over the£40k threshold even if only one partner works, you become ineligible for most benefits.I know what I am talking about cos even for me to get help with childcare while in school was a struggle because I have a working partner.People even advised us to say we are seperated to get help but we personally just dont like dodgy stuff like that.I know people who do it wella (with hubby working and earning well).When you see a couple who have diff surnames, 80% of the time that's what they are doing.
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by coogar: 4:53pm On Nov 22, 2013
dayokanu: You keep traversing between UK and Nigeria you need to stick to whichever.

you are the one putting the naija factor in the argument.

The Nigerians that come there and pay their fees in one swoop are not the average Nigerians, if they are average in income definitely the money would hae been borrowed somewhere and has to be repaid.

borrowed where? UBA/first bank now lend money to nigerian parents to pay international fees in the UK/USA? must you lie at the expense of logic?

What kind of planning is this you keep talking about? You mean 30yr old men have 100m saved up somewhere to cater for the family? Or was the guy not renting and paying the same 2yrs upfront rent as a single? The average Nigerian worker barely makes enough till the next payday yet in coogars world they make millions a month. The same person who says few make over 100k

there he goes again, talking from the nigerian perspective. are you in nigeria? is your wife in nigeria? why exactly are you comfortable to let her slave away for money just because you are a lazy bum?

These kids walk to the school bus, they are driven by adult bus drivers, they have adult teachers and school cleaners who can rapee them.

After a certain age they visit their friends who have brothers, uncles and aunties, Or would this stay at home mom, Home school her kids and lock them indoors so they would never have interactions with anyone else so they wont be rappeedd

but you still have the extra threat in your own home when you leave your kids in the hands of strangers. i fail to see how school children can be molested on their school bus when others are watching as opposed your daughter all alone with a nephew you brought from abidjan.

Now we are back to the UK.

In the US women get 12weeks paid leave the child is still 2-3months old, So the woman stops working for the rest of the 4yrs till the child is 4 and family lives on one income, If she spaces by 3yrs she pops another just as the first "stay-home" period ends and starts another 4yrs

If she stops at 2 kids she has stayed home for 7-8yrs

Now which career would you drop and return to after 8yrs

i don't care about what obtains in the US, i care about what obtains in the UK & i am confident getting my wife to stayathome to care for our kids is far more beneficial than letting a stranger do the role.
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by coogar: 4:58pm On Nov 22, 2013
dayokanu:
So with this 40k from one partner, How much do you pay for rent and multiply by 12.

How much is for feeding a month, for transportation, for student loans and other debts, for light, heating, cell phone bills, internet and cable

Furniture and clothing

Now multiply all these by 12 and lets see how a family survive on 40k of one partner in a 12 month period

40k is about 3k per month before taxes when you calclate the taxes how much is the take home pay

this is £40,000 not your yeye currency so mind the sign. if you earn £40k per annum in the UK, you are one of the top 10% salary earners so open your eyes before you start spewing opata.

the combined salary of most nigerian couples that work like trojan horses is even less than £40k. so if they can survive, mr coogar & family will survive. mrs coogar's current & savings account did not also suddenly vaporise just because she put to bed.
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by dayokanu(m): 5:03pm On Nov 22, 2013
coogar:
you are the one putting the naija factor in the argument.

Ok now lets stick to the west

borrowed where? UBA/first bank now lend money to nigerian parents to pay international fees in the UK/USA? must you lie at the expense of logic?

Cost of International student fees in the Uk for a 4yr course would be like over 10m Naira minus living expense. How many families in Nigeria would have 10m naira + living expense saved up to spend on one child without borrowing. They borrow from several places, family, cooperative, friends etc

there he goes again, talking from the nigerian perspective. are you in nigeria? is your wife in nigeria? why exactly are you comfortable to let her slave away for money just because you are a lazy bum?

So tell me how much you need to make to get these benefits and at the same time live in a decent neighbourhood, pay rents, pay bills and pay you and your wife student loans. And Mr hardwoking bum How many hours do you work to cover these

but you still have the extra threat in your own home when you leave your kids in the hands of strangers. i fail to see how school children can be molested on their school bus when others are watching as opposed your daughter all alone with a nephew you brought from abidjan.

When you earn a decent income you can hire a certified nanny which you can do a background check on and this plus household monitors you can see all that happens in your house real time, I dont knw which neck of Ekiti wood you still live in where you import Togolese to be child minders

i don't care about what obtains in the US, i care about what obtains in the UK & i am confident getting my wife to stayathome to care for our kids is far more beneficial than letting a stranger do the role.

Its most beneficial for both parents to stay at home if income permits, Its the limited income thats making them work in the first plce

If every couple were millionaires At least when both dad and mom can stay at home and minimize chances of child being molested.

So Mr coogar why not both parent stay home and both live on govt benefits so you can give the child maximum kirikiri like security
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by dayokanu(m): 5:07pm On Nov 22, 2013
coogar:

this is £40,000 not your yeye currency so mind the sign. if you earn £40k per annum in the UK, you are one of the top 10% salary earners so open your eyes before you start spewing opata.

the combined salary of most nigerian couples that work like trojan horses is even less than £40k. so if they can survive, mr coogar & family will survive. mrs coogar's current & savings account did not also suddenly vaporise just because she put to bed.

Now since you are adept with numbers fill in the gap

with 40k income that translates to 3,330 before tax. After UK tax how much is left?

How much is rent for a 2 bedroom in Chelsea area that Nashville mentioned

How much is the average monthly bills of cell phone, internet, Light, cable, heating etc

How much is groceries and supplies per month since the govt only provides for the child and not the adults

How much for credit card, student loan and car payment per month

Now let me know what yu come up with living on one income and maintaining a decent lifestyle
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by damiso(f): 5:19pm On Nov 22, 2013
dayokanu:

with 40k income that translates to 3,330 before tax. After UK tax how much is left?

How much is the average monthly bills of cell phone, internet, Light, cable, heating etc

How much is groceries and supplies per month since the govt only provides for the child and not the adults

Now let me know what yu come up with living on one income and maintaining a decent lifestyle
Na chelsea you call like that. grin grin grin....except its social housing na millionaires dey live chelsea o.Its like saying only those who live in Bannana Island can live decently. ...
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by coogar: 5:20pm On Nov 22, 2013
dayokanu:
Ok now lets stick to the west

Cost of International student fees in the Uk for a 4yr course would be like over 10m Naira minus living expense. How many families in Nigeria would have 10m naira + living expense saved up to spend on one child without borrowing. They borrow from several places, family, cooperative, friends etc

this is lying at it's best.
the families who cannot afford N10m naira quickly sends their kids to ghana, malaysia or india or better still OAU, UI, etc. when has it become compulsory that you have to study abroad to survive?

So tell me how much you need to make to get these benefits and at the same time live in a decent neighbourhood, pay rents, pay bills and pay you and your wife student loans. And Mr hardwoking bum How many hours do you work to cover these

living in decent neighbourhood is even cheaper. most places outside the city of london in the countrysides are super decent & are far cheaper. a 2-bedroom apartment in birmingham is about £500/month, in peckham, it can go as much as £1500 to even £2000 & peckham is rougher.

When you earn a decent income you can hire a certified nanny which you can do a background check on and this plus household monitors you can see all that happens in your house real time, I dont knw which neck of Ekiti wood you still live in where you import Togolese to be child minders

and these child minders have been known to be serial abusers. i will upload a video where certified child minders were beating children with special needs here in the UK. a stranger is still a stranger - your wife is a safer bet. see your mouth like setting up surveillance as if it's $1 to set up.

Its most beneficial for both parents to stay at home if income permits, Its the limited income thats making them work in the first place

yet again, common sense fails you. like i keep repeating, you cannot put a price on intangibles. this is like the average nigerian worker puffing his chest that his N300,000 per month takehome pay is better than his friend in the UK with takehome pay of N1,000 per month.

wait till the naija guy is intercepted by armed robbers.....

If every couple were millionaires At least when both dad and mom can stay at home and minimize chances of child being molested.

sadly, millionaire couples still go to work, the key is having one parent stay at home to do the needful in the formative years of their child.

So Mr coogar why not both parent stay home and both live on govt benefits so you can give the child maximum kirikiri like security

if it prevents child molesters like yourself from coming near my beautiful daughter, i would be forever delighted. grin
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by coogar: 5:25pm On Nov 22, 2013
damiso:
Na chelsea you call like that. grin grin grin....except its social housing na millionaires dey live chelsea o.Its like saying only those who live in Bannana Island can live decently. ...

the boy na mumu now....see his mouth like chelsea. cheesy

dayokanu:

if you & your wife work 24/7 throughout her pregnancy, work on the day she gives birth & then continue working after she's given birth, you still would not be able to afford living in chelsea. the same chelsea where flats can go as much as £10,000 a week? grin cheesy

why not get 2 extra legs for your wife & a brown fluffy tail & turn her into a donkey?
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by dayokanu(m): 5:31pm On Nov 22, 2013
coogar: this is lying at it's best.
the families who cannot afford N10m naira quickly sends their kids to ghana, malaysia or india or better still OAU, UI, etc. when has it become compulsory that you have to study abroad to survive?

You injected the ppl who pay full school fees in UK, and those are not the average Nigeria family if you can afford to drop 20m for your childs education then you are in the upper income bracket and both parents should stay home to give maximum attention and security to the child

living in decent neighbourhood is even cheaper. most places outside the city of london in the countrysides are super decent & are far cheaper. a 2-bedroom apartment in birmingham is about £500/month, in peckham, it can go as much as £1500 to even £2000 & peckham is rougher.

3300 per month how much is it after taxes in the UK, Answer that first.

Then how much is the living expenses per month for all the family needs and try to fit that into the 3300-taxes. Now get to work and put up a figure

and these child minders have been known to be serial abusers. i will upload a video where certified child minders were beating children with special needs here in the UK. a stranger is still a stranger - your wife is a safer bet. see your mouth like setting up surveillance as if it's $1 to set up.

I am sure there are mothers who also abuse their parents. I am sure there are teachers who also abuse their students somewhere, I am sure there are bus drivers that molest children etc

yet again, common sense fails you. like i keep repeating, you cannot put a price on intangibles. this is like the average nigerian worker puffing his chest that his N300,000 per month takehome pay is better than his friend in the UK with takehome pay of N1,000 per month.

wait till the naija guy is intercepted by armed robbers.....

sadly, millionaire couples still go to work, the key is having one parent stay at home to do the needful in the formative years of their child.

if it prevents child molesters like yourself from coming near my beautiful daughter, i would be forever delighted. grin

If both parents are rich like Dangote marrying Alakija then both should stay at home so the child would have maximum security, they can also home school the child or bring the teachers to teach the child from. Keeping the child in your line of sight for 24hrs till the age of 18 is the surest way to avoid this abuse Mr Coogar
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by coogar: 5:32pm On Nov 22, 2013
dayokanu:
You injected the ppl who pay full school fees in UK, and those are not the average Nigeria family if you can afford to drop 20m for your childs education then you are in the upper income bracket and both parents should stay home to give maximum attention and security to the child

so the child whose parents have N20m to pay for his school fees automatically gets N20m every year from his parents? he won't have to forge his own path with his wife after getting educated in a top UK school? your argument is bereft of common sense.

3300 per month how much is it after taxes in the UK, Answer that first.

£40k before tax, £27k after tax

Then how much is the living expenses per month for all the family needs and try to fit that into the 3300-taxes. Now get to work and put up a figure

that depends on location, taste, and many other factors. it also depends on their residual savings over the years.

I am sure there are mothers who also abuse their parents. I am sure there are teachers who also abuse their students somewhere, I am sure there are bus drivers that molest children etc

similar factors affect both sides of the fence. however, you have brought in a potential räpist from the streets to stay 8 hours every working day with your daughter.

If both parents are rich like Dangote marrying Alakija then both should stay at home so the child would have maximum security, they can also home school the child or bring the teachers to teach the child from. Keeping the child in your line of sight for 24hrs till the age of 18 is the surest way to avoid this abuse Mr Coogar

if stayathome mums reduce the risk of abuse by only 1% then it's worth it in my own opinion.
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by dayokanu(m): 5:33pm On Nov 22, 2013
coogar: the boy na mumu now....see his mouth like chelsea. cheesy

if you & your wife work 24/7 throughout her pregnancy, work on the day she gives birth & then continue working after she's giving birth, you still would not be able to afford living in chelsea. the same chelsea where flats can go as much as £10,000 a week? grin cheesy

why not get 2 extra legs for your wife & a brown fluffy tail & turn her into a donkey?

I dont know what are Chelsea is Now put a decent area anywhere even in Birmingham after your taxes have been deducted rents and living expense and see how that Math would add up

I dont knw the cost of rent in a decent place in birmingham, Damiso can help with an idea of what the average living expense + rent is and lets see how the maths work without rigging the system
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by coogar: 5:43pm On Nov 22, 2013
dayokanu:
I dont know what are Chelsea is Now put a decent area anywhere even in Birmingham after your taxes have been deducted rents and living expense and see how that Math would add up

birmingham is a decent area. crime rate is lower than london & 2 bed apartment close to the city centre is about £500 a month. my £27k salary is about £2,000 a month.

if i decide to be smart, i can get an interest-only mortgage on a 3 bedroom flat & pay about £100 a month in an area like birmingham.

i will be saving at least £1,000 a month after all the expenses sef.

I dont knw the cost of rent in a decent place in birmingham, Damiso can help with an idea of what the average living expense + rent is and lets see how the maths work without rigging the system

i will be just fine.
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by damiso(f): 5:51pm On Nov 22, 2013
My maths is horrible but il try.

I think after tax and NI you go home with about 2, 600 or 2, 700.

Rent/ Mortage in the suburbs (decent neighbourhood) about £650 to £700
Home Insurance £40
Gas/Electric £100(more in the winter but it's often quarterly so lets say £140)
Council Tax £70
Sky (entertainment extra no sports) £26
Groceries for 4 people 2 kids and 2 adults £300 (could be less depending on how, what you buy.i used to throw food away so I am savvier in how I shop)
Car Expenses insurance road tax etc petrol lets say £300 thats also subjective sha
Miscellaneous £300

Thats £1876.all these are estimates and not exact but around the mark of what you can live on.Not alot.Basic lifestyle.We also do activities for the kids etc..Its hard dont get me wrong but we are not exactly suffering.Just dont buy alot of crap I used to.This is not adding savings, money some people get from other side runs etc
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by coogar: 6:00pm On Nov 22, 2013
damiso: My maths is horrible but il try.

Home Insurance £40
Council Tax £70
Groceries for 4 people 2 kids and 2 adults £300 (could be less depending on how, what you buy.i used to throw food away so I am savvier in how I shop)
Car Expenses insurance road tax etc petrol lets say £300 thats also subjective sha
Miscellaneous £300

Thats £1876.all these are estimates and not exact but around the mark of what you can live on.Not alot.Basic lifestyle.We also do activities for the kids etc..Its hard dont get me wrong but we are not exactly suffering.Just dont buy alot of crap I used to.This is not adding savings, money some people get from other side runs etc

thank you, damiso....
it means give or take, the couple can save around £1,000 per month without suffering and that's with 2 kids. meanwhile, if the wife is a stayathome mum, the council tax reduces, unemployment benefit, daycare vouchers, etc.
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by dayokanu(m): 6:34pm On Nov 22, 2013
damiso: My maths is horrible but il try.

Home Insurance £40
Council Tax £70
Miscellaneous £300

In all these I didnt see cell phone, you said minus Sport coogar do you agree with that? I didnt see payment of previous debt like student loans, credit cards and car notes on it multiply that by 2 because only one person would have to pay it

Or dont people incurr these monthly expenses in the UK
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by damiso(f): 6:55pm On Nov 22, 2013
dayokanu:

In all these I didnt see cell phone, you said minus Sport coogar do you agree with that? I didnt see payment of previous debt like student loans, credit cards and car notes on it multiply that by 2 because only one person would have to pay it

Thats why I said miscellaneous. But ok let me add cell phone.Say £60 a month.

I do not have student loans as I did not study here at degree level.My postgraduate was saved for.Hubby went to Uni when Uni was free as well and also got his professional exam fees paid for by his employer.

Oh as for credit card speaking for us here, I have one credit card that I rarely use.Paid off the balance after incurring so much debt then decided to only ever use in emergencies.Hubby had credit card debt but got paid PPI (payment protection insurance) refund and decided to use it to clear his balance I know its hard to believe in the UK but we (not speaking for others) have very minimal debt.My husband is sooo overcalcu hen.I am the spend thrift cheesy cheesy
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by dayokanu(m): 7:08pm On Nov 22, 2013
^^ The average UK family has student loans for both couple and in the US I have friends who pay as much as $1,00 per month

I expect a similar figure for the UK. And if one person works multiply that by two

Damiso, what of car notes for 2? Does that apply in the UK also?

So coogar how much does an average person pay back per month in student loan debt

Thats why I said when it comes to number crunching and the realities of life hardly would a family survive on the income of one especially for a period of up to 7yrs
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by coogar: 7:48pm On Nov 22, 2013
dayokanu: ^^ The average UK family has student loans for both couple and in the US I have friends who pay as much as $1,00 per month

stop throwing conjectures in the air. the average UK family doesn't have student loans to pay. how many UK students go to university from secondary school?

I expect a similar figure for the UK. And if one person works multiply that by two Damiso, what of car notes for 2? Does that apply in the UK also?

the UK is very compact & with a world class transportation system. you don't need a car, let alone 2 cars.

So coogar how much does an average person pay back per month in student loan debt

stop asking me stüpid questions....
even the students loan have an activation clause. you must make more than a certain amount in wages before you can be asked to pay back.

Thats why I said when it comes to number crunching and the realities of life hardly would a family survive on the income of one especially for a period of up to 7yrs

i have told you the combined wages of most families isn't up to £40k & they are living very fine so if the husband is getting £40k per annum, it's more than enough to keep the family ticking.

dayokanu:

sky TV? since when? people now buy boxes from europe that comes with sports channels. £150 or so & you don't have to pay jack after then till eternity. it's even got AIT & nollywood TV.

people don't - you need a good credit score to get credit cards in the first place & millions of nigerians don't carry credit cards. what other expenses?
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by damiso(f): 7:54pm On Nov 22, 2013
dayokanu: ^^ The average UK family has student loans for both couple and in the US I have friends who pay as much as $1,00 per month

I expect a similar figure for the UK. And if one person works multiply that by two

What is car note?Is that like when do have finance on a car?A family of 4 can live with one car in London esp where the costs of parking,congestion etc are just too ridiculous for two cars.Most people commute to work anyway.Its faster easier and sometimes cheaper especially when you commute to Central london zone 1.Maybe Coogar can help with student loan costs?University education was free till a couple of years ago even at that till 2010 Tuition was about 3k a year.I don't know about the US.

Oga DK I don dey tire grin grin grin grin grin.Let everyone do what works for them.Quality of life and standard of living is subjective ojere.I just did the breakdown so you can know a family of 4 CAN live on one wage on the basic for a while as long you can cut your cloth according to your cloth .And this my breakdown did not include the £134 child benefit you get a month for two kids.Its not ideal and it's not alot but everyone knows what they as a family can or cannot cope with.Some other families might get other top ups,we get a council tax rebate as well cos the other adult in the household is studying.Even with two incomes sef it can be a struggle based on your outgoings so as i said its subjective.

But Oga DK pls stop calling all Stay at Home Mums alabodo ko da o(e no good). grin grin grin grin.
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by dayokanu(m): 8:01pm On Nov 22, 2013
coogar:

stop throwing conjectures in the air. the average UK family doesn't have student loans to pay. how many UK students go to university from secondary school?

For you to make an income of around 40k most likely you need a University education and its not free. You have to pay for your loan.

the UK is very compact & with a world class transportation system. you don't need a car, let alone 2 cars.

For one car you still need to pay the finance cost of a car and insurance on a car How much does that add up to per month.

stop asking me stüpid questions....
even the students loan have an activation clause. you must make more than a certain amount in wages before you can be asked to pay back.

So whats the base amount you need to make before your loan activation clause can be activated. I know in the US a student loan is a lifetime debt and no matter the lenght of defferment you still have to pay someday. Student loans cant be written off in chapter 7 or chapter 11 bankruptcy

i have told you the combined wages of most families isn't up to £40k & they are living very fine so if the husband is getting £40k per annum, it's more than enough to keep the family ticking.

A 40k income is barely enough to take care of the household when push comes to shove without giving up some significantly in lifestyle changes which would come back to affect the children on the long run

people don't - you need a good credit score to get credit cards in the first place & millions of nigerians don't carry credit cards. what other expenses?

Most ppl still have credit cards and you dont need a perfect credit score to get a credit card, there are several credit cards even fro departmental stores and they even offer students these cards Its not as difficult to get these And hardly would you see a family who doesnt have at least 1 or 2
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by Italiano1: 8:15pm On Nov 22, 2013

Dayo it is different in the UK, fees for University education was heavily subsidized for Home students till 2010 when the Cameron Government increased it. Despite the increase, it is no where near the fees that US students have to pay to attend Universities.
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by coogar: 8:45pm On Nov 22, 2013
dayokanu:
For you to make an income of around 40k most likely you need a University education and its not free. You have to pay for your loan.

no, you don't....
it's not nigeria or the US where you people pay through your nose for degrees cos that's what you worship. only about 36% of secondary school UK students go to the university.

For one car you still need to pay the finance cost of a car and insurance on a car How much does that add up to per month.

how about using the car either one of them had been using before marriage? will possessions owned in the past just vaporise just because your wife put to bed? i have never ever taken a car on finance in this country - it's never worth it, cars don't appreciate so what's the incentive in getting married to a car & paying £100-£400 to a depreciating asset?

this is economics....

So whats the base amount you need to make before your loan activation clause can be activated. I know in the US a student loan is a lifetime debt and no matter the lenght of defferment you still have to pay someday. Student loans cant be written off in chapter 7 or chapter 11 bankruptcy

if the graduate cannot find a job paying £18k per annum, he might never need to pay back the students loans till the day he dies. besides, only a small minority of UK secondary students continue into university - a chunky 63% don't go to uni - so how does student's loan apply to them?

A 40k income is barely enough to take care of the household when push comes to shove without giving up some significantly in lifestyle changes which would come back to affect the children on the long run

it's more than enough to run the family. only poor people drive cars in london. even the MPs use the train on a regular basis. congestion charge & parking fees are turn-offs. you would spend more paying those charges than the amount you paid for the car.

Most ppl still have credit cards and you dont need a perfect credit score to get a credit card, there are several credit cards even fro departmental stores and they even offer students these cards Its not as difficult to get these And hardly would you see a family who doesnt have at least 1 or 2

provide the empirical evidence that most people still carry credit cards. stop comparing the UK to the US, there's a universe of difference in the 2 places.
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by dasparrow: 9:32pm On Nov 22, 2013
bilms: SO, WHAT'S WRONG IN CHOOSING MARRIAGE?
A lawyer friend on facebook shared this and i thought to share with you guys.

Two incidents prompted this write up and I'll give a summary of both before I go on.
The first one is one embarrasingly interesting event. It happened sometime last year when I was a Nigerian Law School student on attachment in Ibadan. On that day, myself and a friend, Tobi had gone to a high court room in Ibadan and interestingly, we met another friend, 'Lola in court. When court sat and the very strict female Judge was carried away in argument with a counsel before her, my friends and I got talking and I must admit, we got so engrossed in the talk and we were making noise and we didn't know when the judge stopped arguing and concentrated on us in anger but then, someone tapped one of us "back to life" to see the Judge's eyes on us and knowing we were already in for it, we quickly rose to our feet to apologise to "My Lord" but she wouldn't hear any of our pleas and she rained a lot of insults on us. One she however said and which is relevant here is "...all these girls, they never have any vision or ambition and at the end, they just go and get married...". It was a highly embarrasing moment, I must say, as it was a very FULL court on that day and I'm sure Tobi and 'Lola will never forget that event in a jiffy. LOL
The second incident; I read on the internet one day, a comment from Cossy Orjiakor asking a lady who had hurled some insults at her to go and cook for her husband as she was not in her class, implying that marriage is for ladies of low class.
Now, my curiosity is this: is there any conflict between marriage and civilisation? Is anyone thinking marriage is for "ambitionless" ladies or for ladies who have failed or cannot make a headway in their career or for "untush" ladies? If this is what "westernisation" is doing to some people, I suppose too much of westernisation is bad afterall. From my own view, marriage is for "good" people, it is one of the greatest achievements especially when you do it with the right person (you may disagree). Marriage, especially when you find the right partner helps you reach many of your goals. Marriage is not for the low lifes but for the responsible. Marriage doesn't necessarily have to come after we have done everything and find nothing else to do, it doesn't necessarily have to come after we have built mansions on oceans. Marriage is not something we should attribute to the unserious and turn to a term we adopt in ridiculing lazy people, never do wells or the unlettered or uncivilised. I see it as a success in itself, at least if not for anything, Islam tells me it completes half of my religion.

@Bolded

I agree with the bolded but the reality on ground is that in Nigeria, many low lifes are getting married each day. If the average married Nigerian is responsible, then we won't be hearing of Nigerian-bred married men carrying young university girls about, sleeping with them and compensating them with expensive gifts. If most Nigerian-bred married men were responsible, we won't be hearing of our thieving politicians who are married yet have tons of women on the side who they have sex with and then compensate with some Kia Picanto car.

How many Nigerian-bred married men who have been married 15 years or more can boast of never cheating on their wives? What about all the Nigerian-bred married men who are lecturers and pressure their female university students for sex in exchange for passing grades? What about the Nigerian-bred married man who is an employer and is constantly sexually harassing his female subordinates and demanding sex from them and if they refuse, he sacks them? What about the Nigerian-bred married man who demands sex from his underage house girl when his wife is not home? or the Nigerian-bred married man who defiles his own daughter that is sometimes as young as 2 years old?

The point I am making is that, the average Nigerian-bred married man is a disgrace to the holy institution known as marriage. In Nigerian marriages, infidelity, lust, lack of self control, abuse in all forms, child sexual abuse and much more is the order of the day. With the large percentage of Nigerians who are married, you will think that Nigeria will be a moral country. But alas, it is not so. The average Nigerian is corrupt, greedy, materialistic, has no conscience, lacks compassion, sees nothing wrong in swindling people off their hard earned money and so on and so forth.

So it is obvious that being married oftentimes does not change a person. Just because you found someone who agreed to go into a marital contract with you whereby you both have agreed to live together, share your private parts and exchange your smelly body fluids with each other during sex, give birth to a bunch of kids - many by the way, who will grow up and continue being miscreants that will not contribute anything to the world at large other than drug trafficking, cultism, religious terrorism, looting public funds, r8ping females up and down the place - does not make you a saint or an accomplished individual because even paedophiles, r8pists, armed robbers, kidnappers, and thieving politicians are all getting married in Nigerian society.

So, lets be sincere to ourselves and stop the hypocrisy. Most Nigerians know they will be discriminated against should they not get married hence they dabble into the institution called marriage. However, many still remain animals in human skin even while married. A good responsible person will remain good and responsible irrespective of whether they choose to get married or remain single. So, let's keep that in mind. Lastly, finding a cure for HIV/AIDS or eradicating poverty is what I will consider an accomplishment and not finding a perpetual roommate in the form of a spouse that you will breed a lot of kids with who will grow up and become a pain in the neck to the world at large trafficking drugs in foreign nations and scamming people of their hard earned money. So take note!
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by dayokanu(m): 9:49pm On Nov 22, 2013
dasparrow:

@Bolded

How many Nigerian-bred married men who have been married 15 years or more can boast of never cheating on their wives? What about all the Nigerian-bred married men who are lecturers and pressure their female university students for sex in exchange for passing grades? What about the Nigerian-bred married man who is an employer and is constantly sexually harassing his female subordinates and demanding sex from them and if they refuse, he sacks them? What about the Nigerian-bred married man who demands sex from his underage house girl when his wife is not home? or the Nigerian-bred married man who defiles his own daughter that is sometimes as young as 2 years old?

Are you saying this is peculiar to Nigerian men only?

Cos I dont see any country in this world where these you state doesnt apply
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by deols(f): 10:24pm On Nov 22, 2013
Coogar can so argue!!

what I think of the matter is in relation with what YPP said. In the past, it was normal for women to stay at home. But men over used this power. Many stories abound of 'had I but known' and it would take a high level of silliness to not learn from history. Many women simply got wise, realising the importance of financial independence.

The divorce laws in Nigrtia don't favour women, he could die with his family throwing her out. No life insurance scheme set up for the Children, etc..

Despite these, many women still take their family as priority. They have been able to do both and have done it well.

I actually heard ftom a psychology lecture that the needs of a child at the tender ages are not necessarily to be provided by the mother. Any one can provide the child with those needs. A child needs to be constantly cuddled and anyone- father, mother, nanny could do that. A wise choice in that is what matters.

I think the more important period of life is the one neglected. When a child is reaching puberty and through teenage years is when some mothers think they can now start working when it is actually the time to pay attention and listen to their children's worries.

I agree so much with dayokanu on the need for fathers. I read an article on time magazine long ago about the father who worked so hard and away from home. He retired years later with the hope of going home to rest and live the life only to realise that his children were strangers. They did not know him and he did not know them and could not command any form of respect even though he paid for their living. How much a mother is needed is how much a father is. The role of rearing the Children is a shared responsibility never to be put on the mother alone.

There has to be balance..A parent who can provide the needs of the children can be well respected by them. Giving time to listen to them even after the long hours should be made priority. With this, the long hours may never be a problem.
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by Nobody: 7:07am On Nov 25, 2013
cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Remove Excess Fat From Any Part If The Body / We Need Marriage Counselors In Nigeria Please. No More P And E / Surehome Marriage Seminar | August Edition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 179
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.