Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,859 members, 7,876,286 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 01:55 PM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (1723) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3856147 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1720) (1721) (1722) (1723) (1724) (1725) (1726) ... (3872) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:33am On Nov 05, 2019
DannyKoice:

As in. Yeye people.

They were thinking touring it across International film festivals would do it. grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 10:34am On Nov 05, 2019
abduleez1:

The English to indigenous Language ratio was like 85% : 15%

That's why I was confused how it was heading for Foreign film consideration.

The people wey submit am, their head no correct
lol crase people... Omotola is in that committee right...they should stick to AMAA awards and the likes o
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 10:35am On Nov 05, 2019
oyaskii:
Rules stay the same.. Best international feature film but with movie predominantly not english...if not movies from UK, Australia and even canada will be considered and movies from Nigeria wouldn't stand a sniff chance.

Thought as much. Lionheart has no business getting selected for that category, at all.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:40am On Nov 05, 2019
oyaskii:
No bro.. But i follow a Web animated series on youtube titled "Malika: Warrior Queen" by Youneek studios (Founded by Roy Okupe)loosely based on the Queen Amina Story and it's really good. Roy Okupe btw has created an entire comic universe of African heroes....my point been there are many independent filmmakers in Nigeria ready to do wonders but NO FUNDS!!...Aljeezera recently ran a story of some boys in the north that shot a short sci fi clip with just a phone..A Nigerian Filmmaker also won the best VR film titled "Daughters of Chibok" at the Venice film festival and CNN recently ran an expose on it...so this country is budding with talents in filmmaking but the way the country is set up it will be hard for them to make serious headway.

I stumbled upon that Malika Series but wasn't sure of its quality. Heard of that Sci fi stuff but wasn't interested, I deemed it wack and subpar.

We're getting there gradually, our entertainment Industry is getting bigger and better with more audience reach especially in the US and Europe. The music industry seem more promising and faster in that goal.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:41am On Nov 05, 2019
oyaskii:
lol crase people... Omotola is in that committee right...they should stick to AMAA awards and the likes o

Omotola?? Which committee be dat?? Oscar??
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:43am On Nov 05, 2019
DannyKoice:

Use Chrome or Dolphin. Opera dey craze.

Ok thanks.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 10:44am On Nov 05, 2019
abduleez1:

Omotola?? Which committee be dat?? Oscar??
Yup..she's a voting member.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by toluxe0075: 10:45am On Nov 05, 2019
oyaskii:
Still don't think the treatment meted to it was fair all things consider ed, because that's the only category it had a real shot..imagine been a English based film competing against a Hollywood movie..

Well there are film awards within africa and Nigeria and i don't think they really need an oscar validation...Bollywood have filmfare awards and could care less about the oscars.
So they should break the rules to accommodate Lion heart? I agree with you, we don't need Oscars for validation, we just need to appreciate our own awards the more and keep improving. The likes of AMAA and AMVCA are great platform. However, there is nothing wrong with putting out our works for foreign awards. Even with Filmfare in India, India still submit movies for Oscar consideration almost every year. The lesson from this is that those who want Oscar nomination now know that they need to shoot more native language movies ( at least 60% of native language).
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:48am On Nov 05, 2019
Andersonjr:
Oh you haven't seen it yet?

I have the pilot episode on my phone but yet to watch it.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 10:48am On Nov 05, 2019
toluxe0075:

So they should break the rules to accommodate Lion heart? I agree with you, we don't need Oscars for validation, we just need to appreciate our own awards the more and keep improving. The likes of AMAA and AMVCA are great platform. However, there is nothing wrong with putting out our works for foreign awards. Even with Filmfare in India, India still submit movies for Oscar consideration almost every year. The lesson from this is that those who want Oscar nomination now know that they need to shoot more native language movies ( at least 60% of native language).
I 100% agree with you bro.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:55am On Nov 05, 2019
toluxe0075:

There is nothing wrong with shooting our movies in pidgin, Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa and any other Nigerian language. Yes, English is our official language, but do we all speak English in all the time in our every day interaction? The rule clearly stated more than 50% of foreign language other than English. Do you think Mokalik would have been Disqualified if nominate? Hell no. Those who want Oscar nomination should shoot their movie in indigenous language to stand a chance.

Succinctly put. It's a no brainer. I no understand how they shoot films in over 70% English and expect foreign film nomination. If you can't relinquish English language why not do Pidgin English. Besides that's our unofficial lingua Franca.

Even King of Boys featured more indigenous Language than Lionheart. I think that Netflix library inclusion hype, got into their head.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:59am On Nov 05, 2019
oyaskii:
Yup..she's a voting member.

Hmm I see. No wonder, I thought as much. I kinda saw a headline online sometime ago about same time that Lionheart jamboree was peddled. I was wondering what was Omotola's name got to do with Lionheart.

Next time them go learn lesson. With all the fanfare and jamboree and Kumbaya singing yet...... Chai !!! grin
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by 2dice01: 11:06am On Nov 05, 2019
oyaskii:
Re: Bad Boys forever...1 washed up actor and the other one well on its way to been washed up combining to do a movie that should have been giving a rest....it will shock me if this movies comes out good.
Martin to me his funny

I dont know maybe he isnt to you tho

well check the trailer and use your eyes to do the Justice cheesy
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 11:14am On Nov 05, 2019
toluxe0075:

Thank you my brother. They should emulate the British we so damn love to affiliate with. Create your own awards and build it's popularity and esteem.

You no see the UK and their BAFTA Awards? Even some Hollywood films target a few BAFTA AWARDS having missed out on Oscars.
Their is also Golden Globes (US) which is almost as Big and well Regarded as The Academy.

PAY more attention to AMAA and sin no more. At least that one we dey dominate everybody.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 12:14pm On Nov 05, 2019
Omo mehn if you see the Public Uproar that this Genevieve Lionheart disqualification is causing online ehn. Most are saying it's robbed and horseshit.

Most of them are ignorant as Bleep. They don't know the rules, they don't know the category. Some saying but Igbo was spoken nah. Some even had to bring their tribalistic tendencies into it.
And worst of all many of them haven't even watched the film, yet they where whining it was robbed.

Ignorance is bliss in this country. I wonder which time we go progress with this mentality. I fear the next 50 years nothing go change. Just same old same old.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by urahara(m): 12:18pm On Nov 05, 2019
DannyKoice:

I don't follow or watch Nollywood, so naturally, I haven't seen Lionheart, so lemme ask, what's the ratio of English dialogue track to Igbo dialogue track? If the english language dialogue track has a higher ratio, then disqualifying Lionheart was the right decision.

The English had a higher ratio

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Csami(m): 12:19pm On Nov 05, 2019
Remember, remember, the fifth of November. The gunpowder treason and plot. I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot!

Happy V for Vendetta Day

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by J2381: 12:21pm On Nov 05, 2019
Csami:
Remember, remember, the fifth of November. The gunpowder treason and plot. I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot!

Happy V for Vendetta Day
I saw the movie early this morning. It's still a masterpiece from vertigo/DC comics.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by johndill419: 12:52pm On Nov 05, 2019
I watch a movie for 20 minutes a day with my son. We watch a special movie for children sometimes they interesting for me but my son wants to watch more and more. But since my son is still small, we agreed with him that we watch television 20 minutes a day. The online timer https://123timer.com/20-minute helps me with this when it rings the TV we turn it off and it’s very convenient.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 2:23pm On Nov 05, 2019
After watching SEE pilot episode I would say I was unimpressed. The acting was decent. Cinematography was good but the plot was the problem. The action scenes were good enough.
There was so many Gaps in the storyline, it was just a mishmash of different points of the plot merged in one.

There was no coherence in story telling, transition was too fast and difficult to understand.

All in all, I give it a 5/10

Next episodes might be better but this pilot was anticlimactic.

Cc Andersonjr that's my take on it. You might like it though.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Nov 05, 2019
Terminator: Dark Fate

Saw this over the weekend, and forgot to drop a review - that's how forgettable it was.

**A MINOR SPOILER IN THE COMMENT BELOW**

I enjoyed the movie for the most part. Action wasn't terrible, albeit didn't like the way the story ended with them changing nothing. I agree with Jeromeblack's rating. It's more of the same story that we've seen multiple times in the past.

6/10.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JeromeBlack: 3:09pm On Nov 05, 2019
DannyKoice:

Saw this over the weekend, and forgot to drop a review - that's how forgettable it was.

I enjoyed the movie for the most part. Action wasn't terrible, albeit didn't like the way the story ended with them changing nothing. I agree with Jeromeblack's rating. It's more of the same story that we've seen multiple times in the past.

6/10.

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Nov 05, 2019
JeromeBlack:

I was expecting a more freshed out story, going by the fact that it was advertised as the real sequel to Judgement Day, and for the most part, yeah, it was indeed a true sequel, but the themes were largely the same, and poorly executed at that.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by JeromeBlack: 3:27pm On Nov 05, 2019
DannyKoice:

I was expecting a more freshed out story, going by the fact that it was advertised as the real sequel to Judgement Day, and for the most part, yeah, it was indeed a true sequel, but the themes were largely the same, and poorly executed at that.

It seems repetitive at this point. They should have tried something new with the plot. I loved the action though....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Nov 05, 2019
JeromeBlack:

It seems repetitive at this point. They should have tried something new with the plot. I loved the action though....

The action scenes were the best part, but the cynic in me couldn't help but notice that they were sometimes big, boomy and boring - basically Michael Bay-esque. You know, an action style that does a lot and nothing simultaneously.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Nov 05, 2019
FIVE FEET APART... 8/10
Being healthy, sound and fit to do whatever you so wish to do is a blessing everyday. It's sad some folks can't afford that privilege.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Nov 05, 2019
WB really want that Oscar, huh? grin grin

On a serious note, it's a smart strategy. Waterboard the Oscars in every direction, and wait for something to shake lose. #Smart

Cc; abduleez1

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by mekaprime: 3:57pm On Nov 05, 2019
oyaskii:
Exactly my point..never really caught up with the buzz of the movie i was just hoping it will get a fair hearing since it was considered.

Re: King of Boys..Kemi Adetiba had the right idea, Cast and Props but the character development and plot delivery was all over the place. Sola Sobowale's performance was the shining light and yeah was a better movie slightly than Lion Heart...but Nollywood is not there yet.

To me, the Buzz of the movie was it's underlaying themes, the theme of female empowerment & feminism(the good one though) Nothing sells better than a feminist themed movie, hence one of the reasons for it's consideration for the Oscars. If you strip the movie of these 2 themes, it was a mediocre/average flick, packed with lots of Nollywood veteran actors, although, those actors brought about a better delivery in comparison to what those lads(excluding Sola Sobowale) offered in King Of Boys.
In comparison to the crap Nollywood churns out on a daily basis, I'll say it was quite ok, & funny enough, it was a perfect depiction of the saying "in the country of the blind, the one eyed man is the king". Although i really fancied the flick, but i knew the Oscar consideration it had from the onset was nothing but a waggery.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by mekaprime: 4:14pm On Nov 05, 2019
DannyKoice:

**A MINOR SPOILER IN THE COMMENT BELOW**

6/10.

No wonder it bombed heavily at the box office, same old s.hit. The director better use his tongue to count his teeth & just dead the franchise already, since it's quite evident they've got nothing new to tell storywise. The fact is that movie goers are no longer into that Michael Bay kind of flicks anymore, flicks with poor or repetitive storyline & excessive action & explosive scenes. Am just going to see it for seeing sake though.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by mekaprime: 4:20pm On Nov 05, 2019
DannyKoice:

The action scenes were the best part, but the cynic in me couldn't help but notice that they were sometimes big, boomy and boring - basically Michael Bay-esque. You know, an action style that does a lot and nothing simultaneously.

Funny enough, I just pointed out the bolded as a reply to your earlier post.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Nov 05, 2019
mekaprime:

Funny enough, I just pointed out the bolded as a reply to your earlier post.
mekaprime:

No wonder it bombed heavily at the box office, same old s.hit. The director better use his tongue to count his teeth & just dead the franchise already, since it's quite evident they've got nothing new to tell storywise. The fact is that movie goers are no longer into that Michael Bay kind of flicks anymore, flicks with poor or repetitive storyline & excessive action & explosive scenes. Am just going to see it for seeing sake though.

We're on the same page. smiley
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Damfostopper(m): 4:43pm On Nov 05, 2019
The Eye 2002.......
8/10

mehn that movie gave me goose bumps...... organ transplant gone wrong.......
imagine things that we normally see everyday then opportunity comes for you to see beyond the physical into the supernatural....... mehn the torment from that is something else......

after seeing that ghost woman lick that meat from the husband restaurant........ to buy naked something dey fear me

(1) (2) (3) ... (1720) (1721) (1722) (1723) (1724) (1725) (1726) ... (3872) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: KingdomSermon, TheSuperX(m) and 35 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.