Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,688 members, 7,875,697 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 07:06 PM

What Movie Are You Watching Now? - TV/Movies (1722) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / What Movie Are You Watching Now? (3854449 Views)

What Series Are You Watching And Who Is Your Favorite Character? / What Series Are You Watching Now? Part 2 / What Series Are You Watching Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1719) (1720) (1721) (1722) (1723) (1724) (1725) ... (3872) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 7:19am On Nov 05, 2019
abduleez1:

I think Apple's hubris will be their downfall in VOD. That's very foolhardy in my opinion if what you said are true. So they don't plan on hooking up with Android. Na there their death start be dat. That elitist mentality will wipe them out soon , na laugh me I go Sha dey laff.

Well I don't think they ventured too soon in the streaming biz. Infact I'll say they are late. Streaming Is the next Big thing in the Tech world these days. A hold in such entertainment content is the future holds, especially as communications tech improves with 4G/5G and the likes. Infact if you come late you tend to lose against the established patrons. e.g Netflix, Amazon Prime having 150 and 100 million subscriber base presently.

2024 and beyond is where the REAL WAR and Massacre lies cos some are consolidating others are chewed up. That's why most are getting their streaming platform asap and get a sizable market share before that time comes.

Ventured too soon as in ill prepared. Apple didn't smooth out all the rough edges before going in.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 7:23am On Nov 05, 2019
abduleez1:

Ooh I see, u dey vex Sha, u don run watch the full season including SEE ASAP. After watching the final trailer that mantra "US is the good guys, others are bad" left a bad taste in my mouth. The main hype I loved about it was as you said more Action. And most definitely the inclusion of Noomi Rapace.

So u mean SEE is actually underwhelming. Apple will have it's work cut out then, it's looking like an insurmountable task taking out the others. Most analyst are just hyping it saying its parent company has big bucks to fight and back it unlike the others. They are kinda underestimating the Financial power of AT&T and Maybe Disney.

Will check out The Witcher latest trailer. As u said Netflix ain't joking around with that Title, 7+ season already envisaged, that's bonkers. Everyone wants to take the THRONE. Casting Henry Cavill as the protagonist with his popularity was a no joke move, I like their Ambitiousness. That's why HBO Max is planning a prequel to retain the Throne with it's bigger $100mn budget. That HBO Max ehn is seriously planning to murder everyone, I hear it is planning a Green Lantern TV show for $100mn.

I swear 2020/21 will be epic indeed. The only people I pity is Apple TV+ and NBCUniversal (is it Pocket or Rocket ??whatever sha). They seem the least and/ or poorly equipped for the Streaming Wars. HBO Max just want to destroy everybody. Disney sef no smile, Netflix no one leave throne for another person, Amazon no one fight for only island again.

The real contender I think will try and take GoT throne is Amazon Prime LoTR series and just maybe Netflix's Witcher. That's if HBO don't use GoT prequel to massacre the others. Marvel will Try to use it's Star Wars and Marvel properties to arm twist the others.

Competition spur shows of high production value, thus, whatever happens, it's good for us (the viewers). cheesy
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 7:32am On Nov 05, 2019
DannyKoice:

I hope they won't, cuz I really love their binge style. Waiting weekly for episodes is the worst.

I hope so too. Waiting weekly has one annoying itchy feel and longing attached to it. Especially for massive shows like GoT. That's why at times I just wait for at least 3 episodes out before I hook up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 7:39am On Nov 05, 2019
DannyKoice:

Competition spurs shows of high production value, thus, whatever happens, it's good for us (the viewers). cheesy

Damn right bro, that's why I'm very ecstatic. Las Las na we go enjoy am.

I noticed something, HBO Max will have the costliest subscription price out there, they pretty ballsy and confident of their brand and content. And the massive support from AT&T is very encouraging.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 7:42am On Nov 05, 2019
DannyKoice:

Ventured too soon as in ill prepared. Apple didn't smooth out all the rough edges before going in.

Okay yep, now I get your drift.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 7:46am On Nov 05, 2019
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 7:49am On Nov 05, 2019
Andersonjr:
Please can i get the REVIEW and RATINGS of SEE

Sure, as soon as I have time to see it
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 7:56am On Nov 05, 2019
oyaskii:
So The Academy went ahead to disqualify Lion heart because "it was not culturally appropriate enough and it was in English" really? After changing the category from "Best foreign film to Best international feature film" to accommodate more movies outside of America, Latin America and Europe. So with English been our official and primary language these lots wanted the entire movie to be in Igbo...This is why i have never rated the oscars since for 2 years now..what a sham.

How do you know they disqualified Lionheart. Have The Academy released the nomination list?

Well I think I heard the criteria for that category had to have it's language mostly FOREIGN (not much English) for it to be considered.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 8:09am On Nov 05, 2019
abduleez1:

How do you know they disqualified Lionheart. Have The Academy released the nomination list?

Well I think I heard the criteria for that category had to have it's language mostly FOREIGN (not much English) for it to be considered.
it's been reported by various media outlet that they have disqualified it, it didn't even get to the nomination stage as the movies to be considered for nomination are to be screened by the panel from today.

Well they did change the category from "best foreign film" to best international feature film to accommodate movie industries outside of the predominant ones. So saying the movie should be in a "foreign language" will put Nigerian movies out of it entirely because English is our primary language and also other smaller movie industries whose primary language is English... I am very sure the narrative would have been different if our primary language was Spanish orPortuguese
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 8:18am On Nov 05, 2019
oyaskii:
it's been reported by various media outlet that they have disqualified it, it didn't even get to the nomination stage as the movies to be considered for nomination are to be screened by the panel from today.

Well they did change the category from "best foreign film" to best international feature film to accommodate movie industries outside of the predominant ones. So saying the movie should be in a "foreign language" will put Nigerian movies out of it entirely because English is our primary language and also other smaller movie industries whose primary language is English... I am very sure the narrative would have been different if our primary language was Spanish orPortuguese

Ooh, that's bad then. I really didn't consider Lionheart a contender though when all it's Academy jamboree was being spread. I rated King of Boys ahead of it. It was far superior. Probably didn't get much promotion as Lionheart did.

Yea, if we were Spanish or Portuguese or even French it would have been favoured.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 8:31am On Nov 05, 2019
abduleez1:

Ooh, that's bad then. I really didn't consider Lionheart a contender though when all it's Academy jamboree was being spread. I rated King of Boys ahead of it. It was far superior. Probably didn't get much promotion as Lionheart did.

Yea, if we were Spanish or Portuguese or even French it would have been favoured.
Exactly my point..never really caught up with the buzz of the movie i was just hoping it will get a fair hearing since it was considered.

Re: King of Boys..Kemi Adetiba had the right idea, Cast and Props but the character development and plot delivery was all over the place. Sola Sobowale's performance was the shining light and yeah was a better movie slightly than Lion Heart...but Nollywood is not there yet.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 8:40am On Nov 05, 2019
oyaskii:
Exactly my point..never really caught up with the buzz of the movie i was just hoping it will get a fair hearing since it was considered.

Re: King of Boys..Kemi Adetiba had the right idea, Cast and Props but the character development and plot delivery was all over the place. Sola Sobowale's performance was the shining light and yeah was a better movie slightly than Lion Heart...but Nollywood is not there yet.

Damn right bro. We are getting there gradually.

Have you by any chance come across that film "Amina" which was hyped last year telling the story of Queen Amina of Zaria. I would love to watch it and see how far we've gone in cinematography, especially choreography for fight scenes. The initial trailer I watched back then looked promising and impressive for a Nollywood film. But it was sketchy and not much details.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 9:25am On Nov 05, 2019
abduleez1:

Damn right bro. We are getting there gradually.

Have you by any chance come across that film "Amina" which was hyped last year telling the story of Queen Amina of Zaria. I would love to watch it and see how far we've gone in cinematography, especially choreography for fight scenes. The initial trailer I watched back then looked promising and impressive for a Nollywood film. But it was sketchy and not much details.
No bro.. But i follow a Web animated series on youtube titled "Malika: Warrior Queen" by Youneek studios (Founded by Roy Okupe)loosely based on the Queen Amina Story and it's really good. Roy Okupe btw has created an entire comic universe of African heroes....my point been there are many independent filmmakers in Nigeria ready to do wonders but NO FUNDS!!...Aljeezera recently ran a story of some boys in the north that shot a short sci fi clip with just a phone..A Nigerian Filmmaker also won the best VR film titled "Daughters of Chibok" at the Venice film festival and CNN recently ran an expose on it...so this country is budding with talents in filmmaking but the way the country is set up it will be hard for them to make serious headway.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by toluxe0075: 9:31am On Nov 05, 2019
oyaskii:

There is nothing wrong with shooting our movies in pidgin, Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa and any other Nigerian language. Yes, English is our official language, but do we all speak English in all the time in our every day interaction? The rule clearly stated more than 50% of foreign language other than English. Do you think Mokalik would have been Disqualified if nominate? Hell no. Those who want Oscar nomination should shoot their movie in indigenous language to stand a chance.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Andersonjr(m): 9:43am On Nov 05, 2019
abduleez1:

Sure, as soon as I have time to see it
Oh you haven't seen it yet?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 9:47am On Nov 05, 2019
toluxe0075:

There is nothing wrong with shooting our movies in pidgin, Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa and any other Nigerian language. Yes, English is our official language, but do we all speak English in all the time in our every day interaction? The rule clearly stated more than 50% of foreign language other than English. Do you think Mokalik would have been Disqualified if nominate? Hell no. Those who want Oscar nomination should shoot their movie in indigenous language to stand a chance.
Igbo language was heavily used in this movie as well and the director explained that why the movie entirety was not in Igbo was to bridge the cultural divide for a country as multi-culturally diverse as Nigeria..The laws did change this year from "Best foreign language film" to "Best international film feature" to avoid a scenario like this so the excuse of the movie " been in english" seems tacky and breaded with agenda.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by toluxe0075: 9:54am On Nov 05, 2019
oyaskii:
Igbo language was heavily used in this movie as well and the director explained that why the movie entirety was not in Igbo was to bridge the cultural divide for a country as multi-culturally diverse as Nigeria..The laws did change this year from "Best foreign language film" to "Best international film feature" to avoid a scenario like this so the excuse of the movie " been in english" seems tacky and breaded with agenda.
Igbo was used 12 minutes of the entire movie. . They might have changed the name, but the rule seems to still stand.

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 10:07am On Nov 05, 2019
toluxe0075:

Igbo was used 12 minutes of the entire movie. . They might have changed the name, but the rule seems to still stand.
Still don't think the treatment meted to it was fair all things consider ed, because that's the only category it had a real shot..imagine been a English based film competing against a Hollywood movie..

Well there are film awards within africa and Nigeria and i don't think they really need an oscar validation...Bollywood have filmfare awards and could care less about the oscars.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 10:12am On Nov 05, 2019
oyaskii:
So The Academy went ahead to disqualify Lion heart because "it was not culturally appropriate enough and it was in English" really? After changing the category from "Best foreign film to Best international feature film" to accommodate more movies outside of America, Latin America and Europe. So with English been our official and primary language these lots wanted the entire movie to be in Igbo...This is why i have never rated the oscars since for 2 years now..what a sham.

I don't follow or watch Nollywood, so naturally, I haven't seen Lionheart, so lemme ask, what's the ratio of English dialogue track to Igbo dialogue track? If the english language dialogue track has a higher ratio, then disqualifying Lionheart was the right decision.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:13am On Nov 05, 2019

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 10:19am On Nov 05, 2019
DannyKoice:

I don't follow or watch Nollywood, so naturally, I haven't seen Lionheart, so lemme ask, what's the ratio of English dialogue track to Igbo dialogue track? If the english language dialogue track has a higher ratio, then disqualifying Lionheart was the right decision.

English dialogue track had a higher ratio but the Nigerian Oscar selection committee submitted the movie based " on suppose changed of laws" to include movie from movie industries outside of The Us, Europe or latin America and the "Best international film feature" category seemed like the only category the movie would fit into..so oscar disqualifying the movie was right but people are questioning the treatment of it.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 10:21am On Nov 05, 2019
oyaskii:
Still don't think the treatment meted to it was fair all things consider ed, because that's the only category it had a real shot..imagine been a English based film competing against a Hollywood movie..

Well there are film awards within africa and Nigeria and i don't think they really need an oscar validation...Bollywood have filmfare awards and could care less about the oscars.

You should direct your grievance to the idiots that selected an English Language film to represent Nigeria in a category that only allows a non-english language film. Na them fucked_ up, not the Academy.

1 Like

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 10:24am On Nov 05, 2019
DannyKoice:

You should direct your grievance to the idiots that selected an English Language film to represent Nigeria in a category that only allows a non-english language films. Na them fucked_ up, not the Academy.

lol yes other movies were deserved it more but our Nigerian factor played in....medicore movie in all honesty btw.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 10:25am On Nov 05, 2019
oyaskii:
English dialogue track had a higher ratio but the Nigerian Oscar selection committee submitted the movie based " on suppose changed of laws" to include movie from movie industries outside of The Us, Europe or latin America and the "Best international film feature" category seemed like the only category the movie would fit into..so oscar disqualifying the movie was right but people are questioning the treatment of it.

From what I understand, "Best International feature film" is the new name for "Best foreign language film". So while the name might have changed, the rules are mostly the same, no?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:26am On Nov 05, 2019
Why the heck is my pics not showing na
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 10:28am On Nov 05, 2019
abduleez1:
Why the heck is my pics not showing na

Lolz, edit the pics and upload it again. What browser are you using?
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:29am On Nov 05, 2019
DannyKoice:

The English to indigenous Language ratio was like 85% : 15%

That's why I was confused how it was heading for Foreign film consideration.

The people wey submit am, their head no correct
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:30am On Nov 05, 2019
DannyKoice:

Lolz, edit the pics and upload it again. What browser are you using?

Opera Browser.

I edited the first one and sent it again still e no work. Then I headed to another website and downloaded another copy of the pics still same thing.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 10:31am On Nov 05, 2019
abduleez1:

The English to indigenous Language ratio was like 85% : 15%
That's why I was confused how it was heading for Foreign film consideration.
The people wey submit am, their head no correct
As in. Yeye people.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by abduleez1(m): 10:32am On Nov 05, 2019
DannyKoice:

From what I understand, "Best International feature film" is the new name for "Best foreign language film". So while the name might have changed, the rules are mostly the same, no?

Thank you bro that was what I was telling him. All rules na same thing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by Nobody: 10:32am On Nov 05, 2019
abduleez1:

Opera Browser.

I edited the first one and sent it again still e no work. Then I headed to another website and downloaded another copy of the pics still same thing.

Use Chrome or Dolphin. Opera dey craze.
Re: What Movie Are You Watching Now? by oyaskii(m): 10:33am On Nov 05, 2019
DannyKoice:

Rules stay the same.. Best international feature film but with movie predominantly not english...if not movies from UK, Australia and even canada will be considered and movies from Nigeria wouldn't stand a sniff chance.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1719) (1720) (1721) (1722) (1723) (1724) (1725) ... (3872) (Reply)

Live: Big Brother Naija 2018 (Double Wahala) BBNaija Live Thread / BBNaija 2021 Live Updates Thread / BBNaija 2019 Live Updates (Big Brother Naija 2019 Thread)

Viewing this topic: omoowhe, Baddestguyp(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.