Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,459 members, 7,961,423 topics. Date: Sunday, 29 September 2024 at 03:19 AM

Making Love & Raising A Family - Family (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Making Love & Raising A Family (64406 Views)

Thinking Of Raising A Family? Know Your Blood Rhesus Factor / Which Should Come First Between Career & Marriage In A Family? / Raising A Child To Speak English In Nigeria: Is It Proper? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by bluuu: 4:37pm On Dec 23, 2013
thehunted: I see you guys endorse oral head. I'm not trying to be selfish here but the d!ck and the v.jaj are not the same. I ve been sexually active since I was 17 but never given a woman head and I doubt if I will do it. It is simply not hygienic. I have lots of ways of making her feel really good. I know what I gat and that can please any woman. But I say a big no to giving a woman head. Call me selfish....na u sabi.
seconded.i cant do it and i dont think i can marry a man that likes it. i get irritated easily n unhygenic too.
@dhunted,broken relationshp s better than a broken marriage.people will talk but u will bear the brunt of a wrong hubby/wifey.
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by EfemenaXY: 4:38pm On Dec 23, 2013
PocketEconomist: You are also right. During my stay in Carson, i noticed this funny trend of our igbo brothers phoning home so that they will arrange wife for him. That caused, and is still causing problems in my family in the states. I will NEVER make that mistake. Even a senior uncle of mine (although the age gap between us no wide) ditched his Trinidad girl he knew since his days at Cali State because of pressure to marry from home. Na look i dey look them. But gini ka anyi ga-eme maka ugly trend a? Gini na-eme ndi ulo anyi? Is it compulsory to marry from home via arranged marriage? Who knows what my relatives have planned for me sef?

Interesting story.

So what would you do, if you were in your uncle's shoes?
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by bukatyne(f): 4:40pm On Dec 23, 2013
Your last paragraph has become a plaque in the Church

What of people who join the churchbecauae of a particular person

It is well

damiso:

That's Ok Bukatyne kiss kiss I get your point.

Maybe my first post was kinda like a ramble but I was just trying to illustrate how our experiences, backgrounds etc kinda shape how we view stuff I.e. I coming from a background where people made a fuss about stuff like that and he growing up without that.Sometimes in marriage we view things on how we percieve it should be and sometimes conflicts are better resolved if we look at the root cause on why the other party does not see it our way.

I agree with you though on not keeping apperances on some core issues eg faith etc.Its deceit if I find out you were doing all the spirikoko church thing only for us to marry and find out you were an atheist all along and just pulled the 'church brother' act to get a wife. angry grin
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by Nobody: 4:45pm On Dec 23, 2013
Efemena_xy: ^^ Yep, I think so too...

@Ihe: abeg close your eyes - we nor wan spoil you... cheesy cheesy

***faints!*** grin grin
Lol. As per nwa Father wey I be nau. grin
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by Nobody: 4:47pm On Dec 23, 2013
PE, dude, adultery does not necessarily happen because one spouse is not doing it the way the other likes. UNILAG girls are notorious for their promiscuity. I wouldn't judge a man's sexxual ability by what his UNILAG wife does.
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by Nobody: 4:48pm On Dec 23, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Interesting story.

So what would you do, if you were in your uncle's shoes?
Part of the reasons why i was tricked back to Nigeria was because they didn't want me slamming the latino chick in our area then grin They expect ALL of us to marry from home, which i would NEVER do. I don dey show sign say home girls no trip me, coupled with the fact that i was getting too liberal (na wetin dem talk oh) good morning became hello, aunty became Mrs... Na wetin make them do back to sender mission for my head grin But on a serious note, i would have resisted the pressure, my big head is not for decoration, it can also resist and absorb family pressure too. grin
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by bukatyne(f): 4:54pm On Dec 23, 2013
I understand you completely and I agree that people change.

I also know that there are no hard or fast rules however damiso and ileoba got what I was talking about.

I have see quite a lot ofxperiences where people knowingly lead their partners on.

It is well

Efemena_xy: ^^ Lol!

Compromises, Dami, compromises - he's got good looks! cheesy cool

Hi Bukky,

You've got some solid points there, but the thing is this...there are no hard and fast rules about how one should act during courtship and what should or shouldn't happen post courtship (re: marriage).

I think it's safe to say that people grow (and I daresay evolve) during courtship. The main thing here is that yes, aside the initial fireworks, the couple try to impress each other. It's a natural instinct, even wild animals do it - you've got birds (e.g: peacocks) displaying their colourful feathers trying to impress and woo a mate, gorillas / apes puffing up and beating their chests (some men do that sef), etc. I think the distinction between us humans and wild animals is when outright deceit comes into it in the form of lying or claiming to be what you aren't. Then yes, it's wrong and that's where the problem lies.

Additionally, after all that wooing and wanting to impress each other during courtship, most married couples sort of simmer down a few years down the line. Now this happens because over the years, they've grown to understand each other and (should) instinctively know what their spouse likes or doesn't like. Also, contrary to popular opinion, people do change during marriage. A man who says he isn't one for performing household chores will do so without the blink of an eye when a love one is involved. Same thing goes for us women.

A loving and caring spouse will do things to make his / her home a peaceful, conducive atmosphere for themselves and their kids. On the flip side of the coin, some do get lazy during marriage. A bachelor who used to cook (quite badly tongue ) for himself will happily give up the apron and frying pan for his wifey to take over.

So you see there are no hard and fast rules about this. At the end of the day, yes, marriage is hardwork and you only reap what you sow into it. It takes a lot of commitment, dedication, understanding and compromises along the way to make it work.

It is well with our marriages.
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by Nobody: 4:56pm On Dec 23, 2013
Ihedinobi: PE, dude, adultery does not necessarily happen because one spouse is not doing it the way the other likes. UNILAG girls are notorious for their promiscuity. I wouldn't judge a man's sexxual ability by what his UNILAG wife does.
Sorry to ask, but are you a learner? I don see some of their husbands, apology, dem no try at all. And besides, not all of them are promiscuous, let's say 65 percent. Anyway, that's by the way side. Which woman no like beta thang? Pot belky against six pack, 4 inches against 7 and a half? Conservatilvely lousy in bed against Certified freak in bed? And the list goes on. Even female lecturer of late 50's dey collect rod of akpako, who no like beta yekinigrin But seriously, men should satisfy their wives very well o! Don't say i no warn una,
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by Nobody: 5:07pm On Dec 23, 2013
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by Nobody: 5:21pm On Dec 23, 2013
chaircover:

Its not all about sexx. Unilag just happens to be an environment where these things abound. These same women probably wouldn't have affairs if they were housewives or primary school teachers and didnt have much access to so many men and in such an "everything goes" environment. When I was in school I too saw a number of married women having affairs with lecturers and fellow students. . .openly for that matter. I heard the same goes on in NYSC camps too. In many cases its opportunity & lack of integrity and not because their partners are no good in bed.

Men should satisfy their women in all areas and vice versa & not just in the bedroom. You may not know this but a woman who is emotionally starved is more likely to have an affair than one who gets bad sexx. Women are more emotional beings.
Women respond more to what they hear; and men respond more by what they see.
We are on the same page... What i'm trying to say is that many men in Nigeria do not care for their wife's emotional needs, which is also linked to sexual needs. It's very important. I never knew women have sharp memory where they keep record of the words you spoke. I once told a woman YOU ARE VERY BEAUTIFUL, YOUR BEAUTY RADIATES FROM INSIDE OUT, I CAN SEE IT AND FEEL IT WHEN MY EYES ARE CLOSED. I just said it, didn't really mean it in a romantic way and in two days i forgot ever making such statement. The next time i met her three weeks later, she asked me whether i meant every word i said, that she felt so special and pretty, as she is not used to such complements. There and then i learnt my lessom, to be carefuk with my words.
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by Nobody: 5:26pm On Dec 23, 2013
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by Nobody: 5:29pm On Dec 23, 2013
About this engagement breaking thing. I loved my ex for more than six years and a half. I very nearly wedded her in court in the second or third year we were together. We were both old enough, I just wasn't ready financially. The last time we were together, I very nearly proposed to her. She knew, because I mentioned it a bunch of times, that I wanted to marry her, but I never popped the question. I didn't because I still felt like something was missing. I rationalized that feeling a lot but I didn't pop the question. This was a woman that I used to describe as a virus in my blood that just wouldn't leave.

I do not insist on impracticalities - promises cannot be broken. That's impractical, they sure can. But, is it possible and practical to refrain from promises that you're not certain that you can keep or will want to keep no matter what? Nobody has said that it isn't. At the time my ex and I broke up, I was planning to go and start proceedings with her family. I was doing all I could within that time to get finances working well enough for that. Even then I did not propose. I'd planned to travel down to see her and officially propose once some things I was working and waiting on worked out. But thinga went to hell on a bullet train before that could happen.

This woman I'm speaking of is hardly compatible with me. I was just crazy about her and believed that things would sort themselves out but, apart from financial unpreparedness, the hesitation came from that concern about incompatibility. I don't think it is unique to me. I'm sure that before any man thinks to ask "will you marry me?" he must have thought about whether he wanted to ask that question or not. If he didn't think about it, he's a grand fool. No woman should say "yes" either unless she's absolutely sure she wants what the guy is offering.

This has been my position from the beginning. A promise should be honored. It should only be broken under circumstances that are truly morally justifiable. In fact, ideally, promises should not be broken at all. Rather than break a promise, don't make one. That is simple morality. You don't promise a guy that you'll marry him and he relaxes and sets to work to prepare his home for you, making heaven knows what kinds of investment and then turn around and tell him, sorry, no can do. That is not right. It is just as wrong as when a man offers promises of marriage to a woman and she keeps waiting for him only for him to turn around and say, sorry I'm not the guy for you. How would she feel about all the time she's wasted on him?

BM, the fact that that guy has had bad marriages is no proof that God was looking out for you. It could be as a direct result of your leaving him that he became this person that can't stick in a marriage for whatever reason. That happens. You can never know what would have happened if you took another path. Not until God Himself tells you. And I don't think it is right for you to keep talking about regretting anything as though you're supposed to. You need not regret your marriage to this great guy that I keep envying everytime you mention him. The thing that matters about past wrongs is repentance. You simply choose never to repeat certain choicea and leave the past alone. You can't change what's done and God does not demand that anybody does. He Himself offers to clean up the past with Jesus's Own Records. Our business is the present.

You shouldn't have broken your promise. You did. You have a great marriage. The other guy doesn't. Leave it at that. Let God do the rest of the explaining. Maybe you should never have promised him marriage in the first place. You certainly shouldn't have broken your promise when you did. But that is all out of your hands now. Do not use it to justify dishonouring of covenants. It will always be wrong and immoral to break promises and covenants.

Forgive me if I sound preachy. I'm not meaning to talk down on anyone. I have myself broken enough promises to lose the right to judge. However, I believe that life is about nudging each other to better ourselves and rise from our past mistakes and reach for sweeter tomorrows.

2 Likes

Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by Nobody: 5:32pm On Dec 23, 2013
PocketEconomist: Sorry to ask, but are you a learner? I don see some of their husbands, apology, dem no try at all. And besides, not all of them are promiscuous, let's say 65 percent. Anyway, that's by the way side. Which woman no like beta thang? Pot belky against six pack, 4 inches against 7 and a half? Conservatilvely lousy in bed against Certified freak in bed? And the list goes on. Even female lecturer of late 50's dey collect rod of akpako, who no like beta yekinigrin But seriously, men should satisfy their wives very well o! Don't say i no warn una,
Dude, woman like better tin, who no.know am? My point is, I wouldn't judge any man's sexxual ability or attractiveness (if I haven't seen him) by the behavior of his wife if she's a UNILAG girl. That's all. tongue
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by Nobody: 5:32pm On Dec 23, 2013
Women in the house please answer... Do you really take our words for it? Or do you wave it aside. Do our words really get to you, console, and reassure you? Urgent answer please.
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by Nobody: 5:34pm On Dec 23, 2013
Ihedinobi:
Dude, woman like better tin, who no.know am? My point is, I wouldn't judge any man's sexxual ability or attractiveness (if I haven't seen him) by the behavior of his wife if she's a UNILAG girl. That's all. tongue
What about the lecturers? Many of them are freaks! Is just the societal stigma that hides them.
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by Nobody: 5:37pm On Dec 23, 2013
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by Nobody: 5:39pm On Dec 23, 2013
PocketEconomist: What about the lecturers? Many of them are freaks! Is just the societal stigma that hides them.
They're freaks, so? Does that make the husbands non-freaks? Abeg I've seen enough to not even trust a woman's behavior outside her marital home regardless whether her husband is a sex bomb. I just try not to generalize.
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by A40(m): 5:49pm On Dec 23, 2013
damiso:

Awon Unilag Club Boys grin grin grin tongue tongue tongue.If not for Naija se you guys know that is Statutory Rape tongue
Emi o si lara won ooh! Ara nkan taa observe la n so oh. Me I don't do girls below 18 biko lol unless she lied about her age sha
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by yetseyi(f): 6:56pm On Dec 23, 2013
PocketEconomist: Women in the house please answer... Do you really take our words for it? Or do you wave it aside. Do our words really get to you, console, and reassure you? Urgent answer please.

Personally, I have learnt not to really take a man's words for it most of the time.

Yes men's words get to us either as a form of consolation , reassurance etc etc.

A lot of guys play around with words and what they may not realize is that ladies take their words to heart.

It seems some men are used to making statements they whenever they are in the 'chasing' mode without thinking it through first.
It is better you don't say what you do not mean because we ladies actually remember whatever you say (@ least I do).

Infact I would say that a man should never say whatever you do not mean or make a promise you can't/won't keep.
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by yetseyi(f): 7:25pm On Dec 23, 2013
Ihedinobi: The last time we were together, I very nearly proposed to her. She knew, because I mentioned it a bunch of times, that I wanted to marry her, but I never popped the question

I looked at this portion of your post from the persepective of the question pocketeconmist asked.

Ihedinobi I m not trying to judge you or anything but maybe you never should have mentioned it since you were still a bit skeptical about the proposal thing.

She probably would have had it at the back of her mind that this guy had mentioned marriage thing at one point or the other.

1 Like

Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by Nobody: 7:32pm On Dec 23, 2013
yetseyi:

I looked at this portion of your post from the persepective of the question pocketeconmist asked.

Ihedinobi I m not trying to judge you or anything but maybe you never should have mentioned it since you were still a bit skeptical about the proposal thing.

She probably would have had it at the back of her mind that this guy had mentioned marriage thing at one point or the other.
Okay. I've learnt my lesson. So women take our words seriously. Next time i say a word, i have to mean it. Thank you.
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by Saraha1(f): 7:44pm On Dec 23, 2013
Am learning every blessed time I click on this thread. God bless the op.
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by Nobody: 7:59pm On Dec 23, 2013
yetseyi:

I agree. However, even when I felt worried about it, I kept working at it. My concern was that I didn't want to try and change her. But I believed that the fact that we loved each other would help us fit to each other.

We didn't break up because I was worried about our compatibility. At least, not to my knowledge. I just held back from proposing because of it, trying to decide whether it was really possible that we would eventually fit. We broke up because I couldn't take the emotional strain that something I still refer to as 'her games' put me through anymore. I was willing to take the risk and hope that we would grow into each other. But she couldn't stop playing with my heart. And I couldn't take guessing what she was doing and what she wanted anymore. I needed my mental energy to face the work of building my life.
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by yetseyi(f): 8:10pm On Dec 23, 2013
Ihedinobi:
I agree. However, even when I felt worried about it, I kept working at it. My concern was that I didn't want to try and change her. But I believed that the fact that we loved each other would help us fit to each other.

We didn't break up because I was worried about our compatibility. At least, not to my knowledge. I just held back from proposing because of it, trying to decide whether it was really possible that we would eventually fit. We broke up because I couldn't take the emotional strain that something I still refer to as 'her games' put me through anymore. I was willing to take the risk and hope that we would grow into each other. But she couldn't stop playing with my heart. And I couldn't take guessing what she was doing and what she wanted anymore. I needed my mental energy to face the work of building my life.

okay.

Since u're a xtian bro let me ask you this question:

Why do most of our church/christian brothers find it difficult to express themselves to a lady they obviously like and want to ask out especially when they meet @ church or any other religious activity.
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by Nobody: 8:40pm On Dec 23, 2013
This has been my position from the beginning. A promise should be honored. It should only be broken under circumstances that are truly morally justifiable. In fact, ideally, promises should not be broken at all. Rather than break a promise, don't make one. That is simple morality. You don't promise a guy that you'll marry him and he relaxes and sets to work to prepare his home for you, making heaven knows what kinds of investment and then turn around and tell him, sorry, no can do. That is not right. It is just as wrong as when a man offers promises of marriage to a woman and she keeps waiting for him only for him to turn around and say, sorry I'm not the guy for you. How would she feel about all the time she's wasted on him?

BM, the fact that that guy has had bad marriages is no proof that God was looking out for you. It could be as a direct result of your leaving him that he became this person that can't stick in a marriage for whatever reason. That happens. You can never know what would have happened if you took another path. Not until God Himself tells you. And I don't think it is right for you to keep talking about regretting anything as though you're supposed to. You need not regret your marriage to this great guy that I keep envying everytime you mention him. The thing that matters about past wrongs is repentance. You simply choose never to repeat certain choicea and leave the past alone. You can't change what's done and God does not demand that anybody does. He Himself offers to clean up the past with Jesus's Own Records. Our business is the present.

You shouldn't have broken your promise. You did. You have a great marriage. The other guy doesn't. Leave it at that. Let God do the rest of the explaining. Maybe you should never have promised him marriage in the first place. You certainly shouldn't have broken your promise when you did. But that is all out of your hands now. Do not use it to justify dishonouring of covenants. It will always be wrong and immoral to break promises and covenants.

Forgive me if I sound preachy. I'm not meaning to talk down on anyone. I have myself broken enough promises to lose the right to judge. However, I believe that life is about nudging each other to better ourselves and rise from our past mistakes and reach for sweeter tomorrows.

That is where we differ
courtship to me is a discovery period and does not tie me down to the marriage
Looks like you see yourself as bound by it no matter what,I am not.
It didn't feel right,I broke it and moved on.

I admit my former fiancé told me the reason he married a second wife was that he was still searching for someone he could love as much as he loved me.i thought that was a silly excuse for polygamy,his life nevertheless.
I wrote earlier how a man of God had a word of knowledge for my hubby during our engagement.
I would have still married him regardless but it was proof to me that God was and is in this.

Meanwhile you strung a Christian sister along for 6 solid years ,hinting marriage and never popping the question,wasting her time and making her lose out prospective suitors and in the end parting ways
Hmm
These brothers sef
Y u no marry am by fire grin

2 Likes

Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by Nobody: 8:40pm On Dec 23, 2013
yetseyi:

okay.

Since u're a xtian bro let me ask you this question:

Why do most of our church/christian brothers find it difficult to express themselves to a lady they obviously like and want to ask out especially when they meet @ church or any other religious activity.
Because of ignorance.

Traditionally, the thinking about Christianity is that it is a mass of taboos, a large heap of "thou shalt not's". That turns men into mice and women into icicles. The instant that that myth is broken, Christian brothers find their tongue and Christian sisters their feminity.
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by Nobody: 8:47pm On Dec 23, 2013
This testing vs no testing no dey ever end? It's on front page again!
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by yetseyi(f): 9:03pm On Dec 23, 2013
Baby mama:
Meanwhile you strung a Christian sister along for 6 solid years ,hinting marriage and never popping the question,wasting her time and making her lose out prospective suitors and in the end parting ways
Hmm
These brothers sef
Y u no marry am by fire grin

This part got me thinking. I once heared someone say that until there's a solid commitment; a proposal or his family officially visits yours. You are very much open to other options i.e you can actually go out with them.
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by yetseyi(f): 9:08pm On Dec 23, 2013
Ihedinobi:
Because of ignorance.

Traditionally, the thinking about Christianity is that it is a mass of taboos, a large heap of "thou shalt not's". That turns men into mice and women into icicles. The instant that that myth is broken, Christian brothers find their tongue and Christian sisters their feminity.

Hmm oohk I was just wondering
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by Nobody: 9:10pm On Dec 23, 2013
Baby mama:

That is where we differ
courtship to me is a discovery period and does not tie me down to the marriage
Looks like you see yourself as bound by it no matter what,I am not.
It didn't feel right,I broke it and moved on.

I admit my former fiancé told me the reason he married a second wife was that he was still searching for someone he could love as much as he loved me.i thought that was a silly excuse for polygamy,his life nevertheless.
Courtship is courtship o. You can break up while you're courting. Everyone will hurt but there's nothing morally wrong with breaking up with your boyfriend or girlfriend, not considering specific circumstances, that is. But an engagement is different. Once you've promised to marry someone, you're bound by that promise. Can you break it? Hell yeah! Should you break it? Hell no!

You know, since we are both Christians, the Bible is acceptable in our discussion, no? Well, Paul warned Timothy that in the last days men would habitually dishonor agreements. It was one of the signs he gave for pervasive godlessness, the sort of godlessness that he says lays claim to godliness but denies the power. It is everywhere today. Christians are steadily falling victim to that kind of thing these days.

Christians try to follow Christ. They keep promises they male and repent every one that they dishonor. That is their trademark. If you make a bad promise, you may have to break it. But why act like it's ok to break a promise just because it was a bad one? It isn't. You needed to break it for whatever reason, that's fine. But do not decide that because the reason was good, breaking the promise was good too.

Remember the place in Proverbs where we were told not to offer guarantees for neighbors or friends. Scriptures were not saying that we should not be good friends in time of need. The provern went on to state clearly thaf if the friend or neighbor defaulted you would not be free until you've paid up the full debt that they owe. It is a matter of justice. The Scriptures may not be the most popular text in today's world, but it is still always on point. Avoid promises altogether, if you can. Make only those you intend to keep no matter what may come, hell or high water.

We, you and I, are not merely differring on some point of opinion. The question turns on a moral principle. If we subscribe to the same moral code (as we do being Christians both of us), then we must necessarily agree.

1 Like

Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by Nobody: 9:15pm On Dec 23, 2013
yetseyi:

Hmm oohk I was just wondering
smiley

The sort of people you asked about need to loosen up. And that's not easy. They are very conscious of temptation. They are also too self-conscious. I should know, I used to be one of the worst, even though women were always my weakness so I wasn't that shy with them. I just did my best to avoid approaching anyone I was attracted to.

As a girl though, if you're interested in one, you should get close and ease into him. Help him relax enough to come out and ask you out.
Re: Making Love & Raising A Family by Saraha1(f): 9:16pm On Dec 23, 2013
Ihedinobi:
Because of ignorance.

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (44) (Reply)

He Found Out His Wife Is A Hermaphrodite On Their Honeymoon! What Is Your Take? / My 2 Months Old Marriage Is Crashing - HELP ME / Man Marries His Crush Of 6 Years, Then Grabs Her Butt - PICS

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.