Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,810 members, 7,886,179 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 02:29 AM

15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist (25978 Views)

Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell / How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 9:49pm On Dec 12, 2013
NativeBoy:

It isn't either-or. It isn't science or God. It's both. Understanding how something works does not negate the creator. For example, if I asked you how a car was made, you would tell me all the science that went into it. Still, it was made by Henry Ford. The car didn't assemble itself and the laws of science didn't build the engine.

Secondly, it matters not whether there are a billion religions or perspectives. What is important is truth. Not all perspectives are valid. Only truth is valid. For example, only the Judeo-Christian faith maintained that the universe had a beginning. All the other faiths and perspectives has their own ideas about the origin of the universe. Eventually, only one prevailed. Now ask yourself, how did Bronze Age humans know the universe had a beginning? I suppose that's for another thread.

It isn't about "my religion is better than yours" or "my God is greater than your god", or "i'm better than you because of...", etc. It is about what is true. For example, was Jesus Christ a true historical figure? Yes. Hardly anyone still tries to disprove the existence of Christ. Many have tried, none have succeeded.

If you are a sincere skeptic, then I urge you to reconsider Christ again. Jesus is truth.

I thought u were an atheist..
Or was i mistaken...
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by NativeBoy: 9:51pm On Dec 12, 2013
Nigellus_Hosan:

Or was i mistaken...

I am not an atheist.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 9:53pm On Dec 12, 2013
Nigellus_Hosan:

Or was i mistaken...

You are mistaken about a lot of things cheesy cheesy
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by todayguest(m): 10:19pm On Dec 12, 2013
Why chose to be an atheist? Take a good look at your body. Consider its many parts, how they function and compliments each other and the way it's wired,isn't it amazing? Do you think, the complexity of the human body and how it works, is work of an accident or a product of chance? You were carefully and masterfully made. If the cars on our roads, aren't products of an accident or chance. But, had a designer and maker, so are you. It's only a fool that will tell himself that there's no God. Seeing awe-inspiring marvels all around.

1 Like

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by busterr(m): 10:21pm On Dec 12, 2013
emk4lif:
Oh really, and the tale that some skydaddy mysteriously created this planet in 6 days moulding a dude out of mud and creating his wife from his ribs is more plausible. How can you even believe that?..SMH, one has to question whether you even have a brain

and i haven't said the bible or quaranic version of creation is credible too, there's more to this world than you or your fellow fu.ckwit who quoted me after you can really comprehend.
Hell i don't have any problem with you being an atheist, just like i have no problem with buddhists, christians, muslims and so on, but if you believe you're once a monkey, then my questioning your brain capacity is justifiable.
The evolution theory has been criticized by many in recent years and funny as it may be, the critics are mainly atheists.
If Charlse Darwin and some selected few couldn't find a credible theory, then i don't think anyone will get the story right, or even close so that means i'll stick to yhe biblical theory. Talk about mystical powers!!
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 10:25pm On Dec 12, 2013
rationalmind:

You are mistaken about a lot of things cheesy cheesy

apparently u're a child that needs a proper spanking..

So not in the mood for ur foolishness otherwise u would get an e-spanking so bad u would deactivate this ur worthless account...

I am not merciful God
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by onetrack(m): 10:34pm On Dec 12, 2013
NativeBoy:

Please point to these influences. So when Jesus stated:

And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. I and My Father are one.” (John 10:28-30 NKJV)

He was influenced by Hellenistic philosophy?

Or when John wrote:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. (John 1:1-3 NKJV)

He too was influenced by Hellenistic philosophy?

Did Hellenistic Greeks believe that the universe had a beginning? I think you know the answer.

I am saying that Hellenistic ideas, particularly Stoicism, had a major impact on the thinking of early Christians, including Paul. To ask me to prove that every idea came from Hellenistic philosophy is a misrepresentation of my position. Prove to me that those statements did NOT come from Hellenistic philosophy.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Ranchhoddas: 10:36pm On Dec 12, 2013
Nigellus_Hosan:

apparently u're a child that needs a proper spanking..

So not in the mood for ur foolishness otherwise u would get an e-spanking so bad u would deactivate this ur worthless account...

I am not merciful God
congratulations! You've officially made the list of nairaland idiiots

1 Like

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 10:38pm On Dec 12, 2013
todayguest: Why chose to be an atheist? Take a good look at your body. Consider its many parts, how they function and compliments each other and the way it's wired,isn't it amazing? Do you think, the complexity of the human body and how it works, is work of an accident? You were carefully and masterfully made. If the cars on our roads, aren't products of an accident. But, had a designer and maker, so are you. It's only a fool that will tell himself that there's no God.
who created god? god didn't happen by accident too. god must have a god.
god is too perfect to have created itself/himself/herself
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by UNLEASHED(m): 10:38pm On Dec 12, 2013
Most of it just doesn't make sense
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by onetrack(m): 10:41pm On Dec 12, 2013
9jadelta: who created god? god didn't happen by accident too. god must have a god.

And I'm sure that god's creator would be very angry to see what a mess that god has created on this earth. Maybe she (god's creator) will spank him a few times. He sure deserves it--if he existed.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 10:42pm On Dec 12, 2013
onetrack:

And I'm sure that god's creator would be very angry to see what a mess that god has created on this earth. Maybe she (god's creator) will spank him a few times. He sure deserves it--if he existed.
lmao
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by NativeBoy: 10:45pm On Dec 12, 2013
9jadelta: who created god? god didn't happen by accident too. god must have a god.
god is too perfect to have created itself/himself/herself

You've introduced an assumption in asking your question. Asking who created God assumes God was created.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Groan(m): 10:45pm On Dec 12, 2013
bravo! a fine way of proclaimin ur new atheistic religion. i think u need to think more and u wil get to knw GOD exists.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by NativeBoy: 10:51pm On Dec 12, 2013
onetrack:

I am saying that Hellenistic ideas, particularly Stoicism, had a major impact on the thinking of early Christians, including Paul. To ask me to prove that every idea came from Hellenistic philosophy is a misrepresentation of my position. Prove to me that those statements did NOT come from Hellenistic philosophy.

Now you're changing your tune a bit. How did Stoicism impact Paul and the early Christians when he debated them and pointed them towards Christ?

Then certain Epicurean and Stoic philosophers encountered him. And some said, “What does this babbler want to say?” Others said, “He seems to be a proclaimer of foreign gods,” because he preached to them Jesus and the resurrection.... Then Paul stood in the midst of the Areopagus and said, “Men of Athens, I perceive that in all things you are very religious; (Acts 17:18, 22 NKJV)

And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked, while others said, “We will hear you again on this matter. ” So Paul departed from among them. However, some men joined him and believed, among them Dionysius the Areopagite, a woman named Damaris, and others with them. (Acts 17:32-34 NKJV)

If anything they yielded to his truth.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Ishilove: 10:54pm On Dec 12, 2013
castielo: Whatever! undecided
I bow o. Didn't even read it. I don't have time for all these a la Sweet Brown
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by UKDBOSS: 11:00pm On Dec 12, 2013
U see, atheism involves faith, cos u also have 2 believe dat god doesnt exist without solid proof dat its true. In dat light atheism can b compared 2 religion.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by onetrack(m): 11:03pm On Dec 12, 2013
NativeBoy:

Now you're changing your tune a bit. How did Stoicism impact Paul and the early Christians when he debated them and pointed them towards Christ?

Then certain Epicurean and Stoic philosophers encountered him. And some said, “What does this babbler want to say?” Others said, “He seems to be a proclaimer of foreign gods,” because he preached to them Jesus and the resurrection.... Then Paul stood in the midst of the Areopagus and said, “Men of Athens, I perceive that in all things you are very religious; (Acts 17:18, 22 NKJV)

And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked, while others said, “We will hear you again on this matter. ” So Paul departed from among them. However, some men joined him and believed, among them Dionysius the Areopagite, a woman named Damaris, and others with them. (Acts 17:32-34 NKJV)

If anything they yielded to his truth.

Remember that Paul was a Greek Jew. He spoke Greek and lived in a sea of pagan Greek culture. And the pagan philosophers would have been right not to accept Paul's claim of resurrection, given that it doesn't happen.

Paul makes use of a number of Stoic ideas, that self-control was a good in and of itself (instead of just following a command of god); or that god was the logos (the word) which activates all things....

He also uses Platonic ideas to discuss the world beyond this one in the same sense that Plato's cave describes our inability to perceive the world beyond...

etc.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by onetrack(m): 11:06pm On Dec 12, 2013
UKDBOSS: U see, atheism involves faith, cos u also have 2 believe dat god doesnt exist without solid proof dat its true. In dat light atheism can b compared 2 religion.

This is a misconception that you have. We don't say that god doesn't exist; we only say that we lack belief in a god. If Zeus comes down and shows himself to exist then I could believe. But don't hand me an old book and say that some men who lived a long time ago saw some miracles and I have to believe them. There is no faith involved.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 11:13pm On Dec 12, 2013
Ranchhoddas: congratulations! You've officially made the list of nairaland idiiots

Another Asylum escapee
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 11:21pm On Dec 12, 2013
The bible cant stand intelligent reason as it's the work of fiction grin

1 Like

Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by dalaman: 11:23pm On Dec 12, 2013
NativeBoy:

It isn't either-or. It isn't science or God. It's both. Understanding how something works does not negate the creator. For example, if I asked you how a car was made, you would tell me all the science that went into it. Still, it was made by Henry Ford. The car didn't assemble itself and the laws of science didn't build the engine.

Secondly, it matters not whether there are a billion religions or perspectives. What is important is truth. Not all perspectives are valid. Only truth is valid. For example, only the Judeo-Christian faith maintained that the universe had a beginning. All the other faiths and perspectives has their own ideas about the origin of the universe. Eventually, only one prevailed. Now ask yourself, how did Bronze Age humans know the universe had a beginning? I suppose that's for another thread.

It isn't about "my religion is better than yours" or "my God is greater than your god", or "i'm better than you because of...", etc. It is about what is true. For example, was Jesus Christ a true historical figure? Yes. Hardly anyone still tries to disprove the existence of Christ. Many have tried, none have succeeded.

If you are a sincere skeptic, then I urge you to reconsider Christ again. Jesus is truth.

The word universe was not mentioned in the bible, the bible only said in the begining God created the heaven and the earth. . .The 6 day creation account in the bible is so wrong that many people have discarded it completely , while others just say its an allegory. You can't eat your cake and have it, if the bible gets it right on the universe having a begining then where does conventional science say that the earth and the universe came into being together in the begining? Just keep your religious beliefs to yourself and stop using science to justify it. Now show me the scientific journal that says the earth and the universe were created together in the begining asumming the heaven talked about in the bible means the universe.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 11:23pm On Dec 12, 2013
NativeBoy:

You've introduced an assumption in asking your question. Asking who created God assumes God was created.
there was no assumption?
was only going by his logic.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by NativeBoy: 11:24pm On Dec 12, 2013
onetrack:

Remember that Paul was a Greek Jew. He spoke Greek and lived in a sea of pagan Greek culture. And the pagan philosophers would have been right not to accept Paul's claim of resurrection, given that it doesn't happen.

Paul makes use of a number of Stoic ideas, that self-control was a good in and of itself (instead of just following a command of god); or that god was the logos (the word) which activates all things....

He also uses Platonic ideas to discuss the world beyond this one in the same sense that Plato's cave describes our inability to perceive the world beyond...

etc.

And you surmised all this how?
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 11:24pm On Dec 12, 2013
Eminado01: The bible cant stand intelligent reason as it's the work of fiction grin
female atheist? for real? shocked shocked
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Peterwizzy: 11:25pm On Dec 12, 2013
onetrack:

This is a misconception that you have. We don't say that god doesn't exist; we only say that we lack belief in a god. If Zeus comes down and shows himself to exist then I could believe. But don't hand me an old book and say that some men who lived a long time ago saw some miracles and I have to believe them. There is no faith involved.
Gbam!
i know there is surely a Creator but christianity and islam i don't believe these stories honestly
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by NativeBoy: 11:26pm On Dec 12, 2013
onetrack:

etc.

Also Paul was a Jew with Roman Citizenship. Please provide the source of your claim that Paul was a Greek Jew.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 11:26pm On Dec 12, 2013
Peterwizzy: Gbam!
i know there is surely a Creator but christianity and islam i don't believe these stories honestly
and who is the creator? why is he hiding?
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Nobody: 11:27pm On Dec 12, 2013
9jadelta: female atheist? for real? shocked shocked

#Representing us ladiessmiley
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by NativeBoy: 11:28pm On Dec 12, 2013
dalaman:

The word universe was not mentioned in the bible, the bible only said in the begining God created the heaven and the earth. . .The 6 day creation account in the bible is so wrong that many people have discarded it completely , while others just say its an allegory. You can't eat your cake and have it, if the bible gets it right on the universe having a begining then where does conventional science say that the earth and the universe came into being together in the begining? Just keep your religious beliefs to yourself and stop using science to justify it. Now show me the scientific journal that says the earth and the universe were created together in the begining asumming the heaven talked about in the bible means the universe.

Please point to where I argued the universe and the earth were created together.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by NativeBoy: 11:36pm On Dec 12, 2013
dalaman:

The heavens and the earth. Correlate that with John 1. Everything was made by He who made it in the beginning.
Re: 15 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Atheist by Steiner89(m): 11:39pm On Dec 12, 2013
I don't really have the energy to argue with nativeboy... as an experienced agnostic. I've come to d realization dat such sensitive topics of this cadre cannot be debated amicably... We at d logic end are in most cases widely read dan u guyz. The Bible inclusive. u see u guyz on d faith end try very hard to challenge ur innate mind and help ur religion/God to justify its inconsistent and often times illogical tenets. e.g dere ar indians, Scandinavians, Mediterraneans, Arabs, caucasians, negroes, Aborigines, Mongoloids. how on earth did we all come from 2 Hebrews? cos as a biochemist, I know it's scientifically impossible. plus d first humanoids are from Africa according to fossil records using radio carbon dating...... we tender and buttress our arguments with facts(proven truths). U guyz throw reason away and ponder on d hearsays dat has effectively brainwashed you...... My stance is dat Weda God does exist or not cannot be established.... our complex reality created d illusion of a supremo and every being strives to identify with d possibility... atheist say Nay! I say Neither. religion say yea we know him. this is what he likes, does and how he plays. pure nonsensical bullshit

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

Fr. Kelvin Ugwu: Wearing Trousers For Ladies Is Not A Sin / Anja Ringgren Lovén Rescues Another Boy Tortured, Abandoned In Akwa Ibom / "Woman Vomits Lizard" During Bishop Sam Zuga Water Ministration In Minna

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.