Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,090 members, 7,942,950 topics. Date: Saturday, 07 September 2024 at 08:48 PM

Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis - Culture (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis (350946 Views)

Cushitic people the most beautiful people on Earth / The Fulanis, Africa's Most Influential Tribe / 8 Reasons Why You Meet Few Hausa/Fulanis In The Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (80) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Omarbah: 12:00pm On Sep 10, 2014
Bororojo:
very nice, you see this is what I always tell my people...
we dont have to always wait for foreigners to come and do everything for us... just this week BBC launched their 10 minute or so daily bulletin TV station in the Hausa language, and everyone was crying foul... "oh the whites are here to divide us", "Oh, does this mean other languages are not important?" " Oh why are you only supporting some languages" "oh- this is unfair" bla bla.... forgetting that the interest of the british is different from the interest of your own people.........
Mnay Fulbe fro FJ from across the world listen to this station RFDI and it is 100% local content in Pulaar/Fulfulde... maybe if Europeans and Americans see that you are serious about speaking and developing your own language, they they might just lend a helping hand with the vast amount of resources at their disposal. but we surely don't have to wait on their behinds in order to start something for ourselves... it's not as if we are 100,000 people or something
I've always wondered why is it that the BBC does not have programs in Igbo or Yoruba despite having a larger significance in the diaspora compared to Hausa. It might be because Hausa hold on to their language and are not prone to abandon it for a foreign one. They should be proud of this. Who knows maybe one day, subject like Chemistry, Physics and other sciences will taught in Hausa if it's not already the case. In Senegal Abdou Salam Sall the former rector of the University Cheick Anta Diop has proposed translating all scientific manuals in Pulaar and Wolof. Imagine how fast illiteracy can be wiped out if these books are available in local languages? All the government would have to do is teach people how to read in their own language. That is a lot easier than having to teach how to read AND understand french.
In the 21st century, there is only one way for these languages to survive, promote them in the media and the educational system.

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Omarbah: 1:13pm On Sep 10, 2014
Bororojo:

Well, maybe it is better that most of the newer generation dont know them like you said.....
I know Wolarbe (Bolaaro) from Burkina, and they always call me their slave, when i mention my clan wink . Then i hit back... (And hard) and we all laugh in the end.
I've looked up the internet about the names of the clans you mentioned. Like I told Fulaman, I know of four clans, the Ururbe, the Dayebe, Ferobe and Dialloube. All of these have subgroups. The Ba for example are members of the Urube.
Now here is what I found, the Wollarbe you mentioned are known as Dayebe, then you have the Ururbe, the Ferobe or Sow and the Yirlabe or Yillabe. Maybe the Diallo last name is of the Yillabe. What is for sure is their patronym is more common than any other one among Fulbe. The Wollarbe or Dayebe are widespread in Mali I assume, they populated Mamou and Dalaba in Guinea. It is from them that the rulers of Futa Jallon were picked. Timbo and Fougoumba, respectively the seat of political and religious power were controlled by them at the time of the kingdom.
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Fulaman198(m): 9:54pm On Sep 10, 2014
Omarbah:
I've always wondered why is it that the BBC does not have programs in Igbo or Yoruba despite having a larger significance in the diaspora compared to Hausa. It might be because Hausa hold on to their language and are not prone to abandon it for a foreign one. They should be proud of this. Who knows maybe one day, subject like Chemistry, Physics and other sciences will taught in Hausa if it's not already the case. In Senegal Abdou Salam Sall the former rector of the University Cheick Anta Diop has proposed translating all scientific manuals in Pulaar and Wolof. Imagine how fast illiteracy can be wiped out if these books are available in local languages? All the government would have to do is teach people how to read in their own language. That is a lot easier than having to teach how to read AND understand french.
In the 21st century, there is only one way for these languages to survive, promote them in the media and the educational system.

That's exactly the reason, though the Yoruba are that way too. They do hold onto their language dearly. The Hausas are very proud of their culture and their language. A lot but not most Ethnic groups in Nigeria just want to be closer to Americans and even try to imitate the way Americans talk. Where is the pride of being African? That's why I get so disappointed in some Nigerians sometimes.
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by tpia1: 11:23pm On Sep 10, 2014
^ bro, the poster said british, not america.
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Fulaman198(m): 12:20am On Sep 11, 2014
tpia1: ^ bro, the poster said british, not america.

Well I was giving him some examples of how the Hausa are proud of their language and the Yorubas are as well. I told him that some groups in Nigeria are not too proud of their language so maybe that's why BBC does not host it. Instead some people try to imitate American accents.
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by tpia1: 1:19am On Sep 11, 2014
ok, got it now.
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Nobody: 1:28am On Sep 11, 2014
tpia1: ok, got it now.

when are we going to see an international broadcasting station in Igbo if ever.......
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Nobody: 1:28am On Sep 11, 2014
Omarbah:

Igbo cant support it.
like Fulfulde, it is a very fragmented language......
honestly, only Yoruba comes close in West Africa.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Nobody: 1:34am On Sep 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

Well I was giving him some examples of how the Hausa are proud of their language and the Yorubas are as well. I told him that some groups in Nigeria are not too proud of their language so maybe that's why BBC does not host it. Instead some people try to imitate American accents.

Hausa has become a cement uniting all the minor and tiny tribes of Northern Nigeria. many of which are quite tiny in size compared to Hausa, hence the easy riddance by the Hausa language, Southern Nigeria is not like that. Yorubas are large, but there is only little space for expansion, because although they are surrounded by smaller tribes such as the Nupe and Edo, those groups are not exactly tiny.... same in the East.

in the North it is Hausa surrounded by myriads of smallies...some of which have even forgotten their own languages. Actual Hausa are nowhere close to the number of people who speak Hausa in one form of the other today.... that includes myself.
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Fulaman198(m): 3:59am On Sep 11, 2014
Bororojo:

Hausa has become a cement uniting all the minor and tiny tribes of Northern Nigeria. many of which are quite tiny in size compared to Hausa, hence the easy riddance by the Hausa language, Southern Nigeria is not like that. Yorubas are large, but there is only little space for expansion, because although they are surrounded by smaller tribes such as the Nupe and Edo, those groups are not exactly tiny.... same in the East.

in the North it is Hausa surrounded by myriads of smallies...some of which have even forgotten their own languages. Actual Hausa are nowhere close to the number of people who speak Hausa in one form of the other today.... that includes myself.

Yah I know, most Hausa speakers are not even Hausa, you have Ngas, Tangale, Vutes, Tera, Bolewa, Gaanda, Buras, etc. etc etc all of which speak Hausa but are hardly recognised. What I'm afraid of is that these groups are starting to lose their language in favour of Hausa as well. There are about 50 million Hausa speakers or more in Yan Arewa, but only 20 - 25 million are actual Hausa.

In Republic of Niger it's kind of the same thing. Rep of Niger is 90% Hausa Speaking, but out of that 90% only 40% are actually Hausa.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Nobody: 4:10am On Sep 11, 2014
^^ Hausa has moved beyond just a "tribal language"
that is why it is getting all the media attention...... At least An African language is getting developed... I am happy in that sense.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Fulaman198(m): 4:11am On Sep 11, 2014
Bororojo: ^^ Hausa has moved beyond just a "tribal language"
that is why it is getting all the media attention...... At least An African language is getting developed... I am happy in that sense.

I'm happy too for the Hausa people. I think Hausa is a beautiful language. I just want people to know the difference between Hausa and Fulani because the Southies often do not.
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Nobody: 4:14am On Sep 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

I'm happy too for the Hausa people. I think Hausa is a beautiful language. I just want people to know the difference between Hausa and Fulani because the Southies often do not.

Honestly, I cant blame them though....
I mean, How can I, when some Fulani people in the North-West don't even distinguish themselves? their Fulfulde is dead and like Wikipedia puts it "They speak and act in the same form" ----lol - first they reduced Fulfulde to a home language, something that sounds like an abomination in public- before everyone knew what was happening, it started disappearing, even from the homes........
The way you want to be seen is the way you will be seen......

1 Like

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Fulaman198(m): 4:17am On Sep 11, 2014
Bororojo:

Honestly, I cant blame them though....
I mean, How can I, when some Fulani people in the North-West don't even distinguish themselves? their Fulfulde is dead and like Wikipedia puts it "They speak and act in the same form" ----lol
The way you want to be seen is the way you will be seen......

You are right sobajo am but one thing is that like OmarBah said, there is always hope for the North-West Fulani disgraces I mean brothers and sisters to get the Fulfulde language back. He told me that the Wasulu Fulbe speak Mande languages mainly (Oumou Sangare is one of them) but when they go back to Fouta Djallon, they often pick up Pulaar/Fulfulde once again.
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Nobody: 4:21am On Sep 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

You are right sobajo am but one thing is that like OmarBah said, there is always hope for the North-West Fulani disgraces I mean brothers and sisters to get the Fulfulde language back. He told me that the Wasulu Fulbe speak Mande languages mainly (Oumou Sangare is one of them) but when they go back to Fouta Djallon, they often pick up Pulaar/Fulfulde once again.

so, where will they pick up Fulfulde in Nigeria?
You know in Futa Jallon, more or less 100% of them there speak Fula?
the structure of Guinea and Nigeria are different, in Guinea, you will see entire big towns, that are 100% Fulbe....... you will be schocked.
In Nigeria, most big towns have a mixed , diverse population, even towns like Yola, Jalingo, Girei, Ganye, Tungo, Mubi Etc are Melting pots.
Honestly, I am proud of what is happening in Cameroun, Guinea and Mauritania- with regards to the development of Fulfulde..... there is hope..

1 Like

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Fulaman198(m): 4:32am On Sep 11, 2014
Bororojo:

so, where will they pick up Fulfulde in Nigeria?
You know in Futa Jallon, more or less 100% of them there speak Fula?
the structure of Guinea and Nigeria are different, in Guinea, you will see entire big towns, that are 100% Fulbe....... you will be schocked.
In Nigeria, most big towns have a mixed , diverse population, even towns like Yola, Jalingo, Girei, Ganye, Tungo, Mubi Etc are Melting pots.
Honestly, I am proud of what is happening in Cameroun, Guinea and Mauritania- with regards to the development of Fulfulde..... there is hope..

I imagine that the North-Western region near Sokoto should be speaking a different dialect from us (one that is closer to the Fulfulde spoken in Western Niger, Burkina Faso, Northern Benin Republic). But I am speaking unrealistically.

What about Senegal? They have a very significant Pulaar-Fulfulde speaking population as well. Maybe there is no hope for the Northwest.
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Nobody: 4:39am On Sep 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

I imagine that the North-Western region near Sokoto should be speaking a different dialect from us (one that is closer to the Fulfulde spoken in Western Niger, Burkina Faso, Northern Benin Republic). But I am speaking unrealistically.

What about Senegal? They have a very significant Pulaar-Fulfulde speaking population as well. Maybe there is no hope for the Northwest.

because Nigeria is very diverse, and people are highly mobile, the guinea system will not work....
In order to expand/develop the Fulfulde- two things need to be done.

1- standardization (without this, everything will do will continue to be local)
2- Mass media. Nothing revives / broadens a language as much as being able to see a movie in your language, listen to the news in your language, the radio in your language, newspapers in your language.

I can bet you with the implementation of these two things- you will see Fulanis who have lost Fulfulde, going back to their language.
In Nigeria's own case, regionalization will also help- (The "One North" Policy is part of what killed Fula in the North-West"wink

1 Like

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Nobody: 4:40am On Sep 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

hmmn, brother heavy Wolofization is going on in Seegal, even their Pular is now spoken with Wolof accents, with many Wolof words as well.... I can show you if u want to see... but they are still no4, behind those 3 countries....
Also, you were right the Kebbi/Zamfara/Sokoto Fulfulde is the Western Niger variety. Adamawaare is actually closer to Gombe/Bauchi/Yobe, than it is to Sokoto - Kebbi

1 Like

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Fulaman198(m): 5:07am On Sep 11, 2014
Bororojo:

because Nigeria is very diverse, and people are highly mobile, the guinea system will not work....

2- Mass media. Nothing revives / broadens a language as much as being able to see a movie in your language, listen to the news in your language, the radio in your language, newspapers in your language.

I can bet you with the implementation of these two things- you will see Fulanis who have lost Fulfulde, going back to their language.
In Nigeria's own case, regionalization will also help- (The "One North" Policy is part of what killed Fula in the North-West"wink

You are very wise my brother I agree with you 100%. The sad thing is that all the Fulani movies I have seen in Nigeria are in Hausa............If we can create movies/films like our brothers in Fouta Djallon in Pulaar/Fulfulde then our brothers in the Northwest will be revitalised.

One thing that saddens me is Radio Gotel which in my opinion should be in Fulfulde. That would be really great if it was. But like you said, cities like Yola, Jalingo, etc. are too diverse.
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Fulaman198(m): 5:09am On Sep 11, 2014
Bororojo:

hmmn, brother heavy Wolofization is going on in Seegal, even their Pular is now spoken with Wolof accents, with many Wolof words as well.... I can show you if u want to see... but they are still no4, behind those 3 countries....
Also, you were right the Kebbi/Zamfara/Sokoto Fulfulde is the Western Niger variety. Adamawaare is actually closer to Gombe/Bauchi/Yobe, than it is to Sokoto - Kebbi

Yeah that's true, The Wolof want everyone to be Wolofinized and I don't understand why. Oh I know you always hear them say words like "Ndeeysan" in their Pulaar. It's really sad how the Senegalese Wolof are treating their Fulani speaking population.

How many people today in Nigeria can even speak the Western Niger Fulfulde (Kebbi, Zamfara, Sokoto) today? I don't even think it is up to 1 million yet alone 500,000.
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Nobody: 5:36am On Sep 11, 2014
Fulaman198:

You are very wise my brother I agree with you 100%. The sad thing is that all the Fulani movies I have seen in Nigeria are in Hausa............If we can create movies/films like our brothers in Fouta Djallon in Pulaar/Fulfulde then our brothers in the Northwest will be revitalised.

One thing that saddens me is Radio Gotel which in my opinion should be in Fulfulde. That would be really great if it was. But like you said, cities like Yola, Jalingo, etc. are too diverse.

Nyola, Jali'ngo, Girei etc are Fulani founded cities, and Fulfulde should be the language in these cities. but they want "fit in" with the rest,.....radiyo gotel has now become radio Daya.
Can you imagine calling a radio "Radio Go'tel", when majority of it's programming is done in Hausa with "Fulanci" infusions here and there......... lipsrsealed lipsrsealed ....... Hausas don't care if you can speak Hausa or nt, when you travel to Kano, everything you see and Hear will be in Hausa. That is what the Fulbe should be doing in cities like Yola and Jalingo. It will be a rocky path at first, but in the end everyone will start speaking that language in those cities. look at Ngaoundere for example, all the Hausa traders who travel there speak Fluent Fulfulde..... it is not by chance that that is happening.

ohhh! Allah help me if I become governor of my home state Taraba! ..... wai wai wai.... lol
Even Education will be in Fulfulde into Secondary school!!!

1 Like

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Fulaman198(m): 5:44am On Sep 11, 2014
Bororojo:

Nyola, Jali'ngo, Girei etc are Fulani founded cities, and Fulfulde should be the language in these cities. but they want "fit in" with the rest,.....radiyo gotel has now become radio Daya.
Can you imagine calling a radio "Radio Go'tel", when majority of it's programming is done in Hausa with "Fulanci" infusions here and there......... lipsrsealed lipsrsealed ....... Hausas don't care if you can speak Hausa or nt, when you travel to Kano, everything you see and Hear will be in Hausa. That is what the Fulbe should be doing in cities like Yola and Jalingo. It will be a rocky path at first, but in the end everyone will start speaking that language in those cities. look at Ngaoundere for example, all the Hausa traders who travel there speak Fluent Fulfulde..... it is not by chance that that is happening.

ohhh! Allah help me if I become governor of my home state Taraba! ..... wai wai wai.... lol
Even Education will be in Fulfulde into Secondary school!!!

Insha'Allah, I will pray that you become governor of Taraba and I become governor of Adamawa cheesy. You don't know how proud I am of you Bororojo you truly are a konowo pullo.

Radio gotel is now radio daya? lol I don't listen to the radio anyways these days I just listen to mp3s and cds.

Mo jangali famata!!!! I agree education will be so important in lessdi Fulbe. It should be. Math, science, technology. We need more Fulani doctors and engineers at the forefront of things. More and more of us though are beginning to get involved in it in the younger generation. I know that when I have children, I will make sure they read maths and sciences. Once again bro, I'm really proud of you.

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Nobody: 7:15am On Sep 11, 2014
Fulaman, Sobajo am gidaɗo e puccu makko
Fulaman, my beloved friend, and his Horse.

lol

1 Like

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Omarbah: 12:20pm On Sep 11, 2014
Bororojo:

The problem is when others tribes willingly give up their language for that of the majority. In the case of Senegal, the Diola, Maninka and specially the Serer have almost abandoned their language in favor of Wolof. But Pulaar is still significant and recently I have seen program in Pulaar on the national television. Ngalou is a popular show, here is a link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmQnqds8XLA . The comments on seneweb are harsh at time, but it is what it is. If one has to bear heavy criticism and hatred to keep his language, then so be it. After all , we are Fulbe, being able to support hardship is part of Pulaaku.

Macky Sall is also not shy of speaking Pulaar in public , same for his ministers. He made people comfortable. Wolof still remain the language used by everyone, if anything it will replace French which I truly don't mind, but Pulaar will always be alive in Senegal. Here is Macky talking about it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhuDDy2mMuU . He explains clearly the problem confronted by Pulaar speakers. "Je m'oppose a l'uniformisation culturelle et linguistique."

It is from a Senegalese/Mauritanian that I first saw scientific manuals in biology and astronomy in Pulaar. Here is his blog, I have him on facebook, he posts new stuff all the time http://hammadi-jah.skyrock.com/ . I also have Peeral, a media network , they have a website with news in Pulaar, dictionaries and I hope they have the ambition of having a TV network http://www.peeral.com/.
Plus when Fulbe of Senegal(here I am putting all Pulaar speakers in it) leave Senegal and immigrate let's say in France, the household language becomes Pulaar, not Wolof. I know a Wolof girl who got married recently to a Pullo, all her facebook posts are in Pulaar now. grin .

1 Like

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Omarbah: 12:43pm On Sep 11, 2014
Bororojo:

Good idea, as long as they still call themselves Fulbe and retain part of the culture, there is hope. If the incentive to learn the language is there they will go for it. It's tough when everyone around you abandons their language for Hausa and have you hold on to it. I bet Fulanis have a good reputation in the North West due to this blending.
In Guinea , one of the reason others dislike Fulbe is that we refuse blatantly to speak any other language but ours or French even when we immigrate elsewhere. I've seen Fulbe born and raised in Conakry that do not speak Susu at all. Because we usually have our own neighborhoods everywhere we go. Now days there is a new trend in Conakry, everyone speaks or understands Pulaar. The Susu are fond of mocking Fulbe for loosing the 2010 elections and they prefer doing in Pulaar LOL. Plus speaking Pulaar can make the difference between lowering the price at the market or walking home empty handed wink
PS: Did you know that Omar Sy, the French comedian of Senegalese descent speaks Pulaar? He was born and raised in France.

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Omarbah: 12:50pm On Sep 11, 2014
Bororojo: ^^ Hausa has moved beyond just a "tribal language"
Me too, it is admirable. The fact that Yoruba who tend to retain their culture are also appreciated in the US goes to tell you that Westerners only respect you after you show love and respect for your culture.
I listen to Nigerian music all the time, musicians like wizkid or davido never put out a song without singing Yoruba, I like that.

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Fulaman198(m): 4:32pm On Sep 11, 2014
Bororojo: Fulaman, Sobajo am gidaɗo e puccu makko
Fulaman, my beloved friend, and his Horse.

lol

Mi yetti sanne sanne sobajo am gidado. Allah Sabinane! Mi yetti Allah ngam wadimii Bororojo, sobajo am e minaro am. Allah hokke ma konowo pullo.
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Fulaman198(m): 4:35pm On Sep 11, 2014
Puccu ngu Lamido Bororojo

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Fulaman198(m): 4:41pm On Sep 11, 2014
Omarbah:
Me too, it is admirable. The fact that Yoruba who tend to retain their culture are also appreciated in the US goes to tell you that Westerners only respect you after you show love and respect for your culture.
I listen to Nigerian music all the time, musicians like wizkid or davido never put out a song without singing Yoruba, I like that.

Gonga ma
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Fulaman198(m): 4:46pm On Sep 11, 2014
Omarbah:

Lollllll how can you stand Nigerian music? It's just an imitation of western popular music neddo pulam.
Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Fulaman198(m): 5:07pm On Sep 11, 2014
@Bororojo ada andi gimowo Hausajo Abdou Salam? Mido yidi album mako 'ekhass tende'. Mido jogii album mako 'Bayun maata'. A jaraama sanne modibbo.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis by Omarbah: 5:36pm On Sep 11, 2014
Fulaman198:
Lollllll how can you stand Nigerian music? It's just an imitation of western popular music neddo pulam.
LOL you think? Not all of it is copying. They have some distinctive African styles like the song Nek Unek , it's African. Pakuromo of Wizkid and Skelewu (the song not the video) are Afrobeats too. P Square are the ones that really go full western, like their recent song, I don't like it.
You can't walk into an African parties without hearing Nigerian songs. You guys are taking over.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (80) (Reply)

Post Pictures Of Traditional Weddings. / Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.