Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,255 members, 7,928,842 topics. Date: Thursday, 22 August 2024 at 11:21 PM

The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion (10362 Views)

The Problem With Religion, Including Science. / Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? / Top Ten Indications That You’re Over-obsessed With Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by johnydon22(m): 11:59am On Nov 12, 2014
Hiswordxray:

This same John you quoted said in 1John 3:9 "9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God."

If you don't understand the Bible simply ask for me to explain it to you wink

see as you yourself is even showing me the contradictions in the bible... you personally dont you sin? stop quoting bible and tell me yes or no!!!
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by johnydon22(m): 12:01pm On Nov 12, 2014
Hiswordxray:

This same John you quoted said in 1John 3:9 "9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God."

If you don't understand the Bible simply ask for me to explain it to you wink
abeg christians what do you have to say about this dude claiming he is not a sinner because he saw where it was written in the bible that christians dont sin...lwkmd ooo grin
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by honourhim: 12:04pm On Nov 12, 2014
johnydon22:

just bring him to me hehehehe grin

grin. Obviously none of us can do God anything. We can only be angry, speak abusive words to him, deny his existence but.....to our detriment we shall meet him on the other side of eternity. Who lost? Man. The need for us to be wise.

An adage in my place says- onye na amaghi onye kariri ya, bu ihe ojoo. (if one fails to recognize the superiority of someone over him, he suffers)
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by CANTICLES: 12:07pm On Nov 12, 2014
johnydon22:

so moses and elijah are in the grave but still came to meet jesus at the mountain (matthew 17) ... hahahahahaha see contradictions oo.
.. i thought they were in a state of non-existence... waiting to see your next fabrication full of fallacy grin
its a pity this is what christendom turn you to ....... Remove the wool from ur eyes , the transfiguration is just a " Vision" Matt 17:9
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by italo: 12:10pm On Nov 12, 2014
Hiswordxray:

No! Notice how you are too carnal to understand spiritual truth.

Like Paul said "not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words." (1Cor 2:13)

Do you sin?
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by johnydon22(m): 12:11pm On Nov 12, 2014
CANTICLES:
its a pity this is what christendom turn you to ....... Remove the wool from ur eyes , the transfiguration is just a " Vision" Matt 17:9
Vision hahahahahahahahahahaha you christians never cease to amaze me...
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by Hiswordxray(m): 12:13pm On Nov 12, 2014
johnydon22:

see as you yourself is even showing me the contradictions in the bible... you personally dont you sin? stop quoting bible and tell me yes or no!!!

There are no contradictions in the Bible. For we speak "not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words. But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised." (1Cor 2:13-14) sad
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by johnydon22(m): 12:15pm On Nov 12, 2014
honourhim:

grin. Obviously none of us can do God anything. We can only be angry, speak abusive words to him, deny his existence but.....to our detriment we shall meet him on the other side of eternity. Who lost? Man. The need for us to be wise.

An adage in my place says- onye na amaghi onye kariri ya, bu ihe ojoo. (if one fails to recognize the superiority of someone over him, he suffers)

so i take it that you are only worshipping him because you fear him, because you fear what he might do to you during the supposedly eternity.... chai chai!!! ....... i like your type gan, you are no longer trying to defend evil because of religion, you are now using the fear factor, **make we worship this deity oo because if all they say is true then he go really deal with person for eternity ooo** hahahahaha SMH
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by johnydon22(m): 12:19pm On Nov 12, 2014
Hiswordxray:

There are no contradictions in the Bible. For we speak "not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words. But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised." (1Cor 2:13-14) sad
apparently i cannot argue with someone who revolves his thinking over a book compiled by the church... you just making it seem the bible is ur brain. ....... everyone here knows the bible is full of contradictions and mistakes but no.you choose to defend it by quoting the bible hahahahahaha secularism chai grin
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by italo: 12:20pm On Nov 12, 2014
johnydon22:

abeg christians what do you have to say about this dude claiming he is not a sinner because he saw where it was written in the bible that christians dont sin...lwkmd ooo grin
Do Christians Sin?

by Kyle Butt, M.A.

A quick reading through the small epistle of 1 John reveals a number of verses that seem to disagree with each other. For instance, in 1 John 1:8,10 the author assures his readers that all people have sinned. In 2:1, John seems to indicate that even Christians will sin and therefore need Jesus Christ to be their advocate. Yet, 3:6 has John on record as saying: “Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.” In verse 8 of chapter 3, John wrote: “He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning.” And verse 9 states: “Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.” Steve Wells, in his work, The Skeptic’s Annotated Bible, wrote concerning these verses in chapter 3: “Earlier in this letter (1:8,10) John assured us that everyone sins. Yet in these verses he claims that Christians don’t sin” (Wells, 2003).

Are these verses examples of contradictions within the Bible? If they are not, what do they mean? Do Christians sin, or don’t they?

The answers to these questions actually are much simpler than it may, at first, appear. When we compare other translations of 3:6,8,9, we see that the actual Greek wording of the verses makes a major difference in the understanding of the passages. R.C.H. Lenski translated 3:6 as follows: “Everyone remaining in him does not go on sinning; everyone continuing to sin has not seen him, nor has he known him” (1966, pp. 457-458, emp. added). Lenski translated verse 9: “Everyone that has been born from God does not go on doing sinning because his seed remains in him; and he is not able to go on sinning because he has been born of God” (p. 462, emp. added). The New International Version translates 3:6: “No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him” (emp. added).

Lenski explained that 1 John 3:6,9 uses a Greek construction called the present durative, which should be translated “does not go on sinning” (pp. 458,462). John, then, is saying no more in these verses than what Paul was saying in Romans 6:1-2, when he stated: “What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any long in it?” Numerous other verses teach that Christians will commit sins, even after they have been washed in the blood of Christ (cf. Romans 7:14-25; Philippians 3:12-13). However, John is saying that any person who rebelliously continues to sin, making it his or her usual, habitual way of life, is not following God. In 1 John 3:9, the Greek present infinitive means to habitually sin without compunction. In more practical terms (to offer an example), it is one thing for a Christian to slip up and commit an act of sexual immorality for which he or she is penitent. It is altogether another thing for a person to live as a prostitute and claim to be “having fellowship with the Father” (1 John 1:6).

Therefore, it is easily shown that no discrepancies exist between the verses under discussion in 1 John. Furthermore, it is refreshing to know that when a Christian does sin, “we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.”

http://www.apologeticspress.org
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by Hiswordxray(m): 12:20pm On Nov 12, 2014
italo:

Do you sin?

That is a wrong question. The question should be "do a child of God sin? "

And the answer is "Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God." (1John3:9)

Or rather, humbly ask "I don't understand the Bible please would you teach me? "
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by italo: 12:22pm On Nov 12, 2014
johnydon22:

apparently i cannot argue with someone who revolves his thinking over a book compiled by the church... you just making it seem the bible is ur brain. ....... everyone here knows the bible is full of contradictions and mistakes but no.you choose to defend it by quoting the bible hahahahahaha secularism chai grin

The Bible has no contradictions.

The contradictions are in your misunderstanding of the Bible.
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by johnydon22(m): 12:23pm On Nov 12, 2014
italo:

Do Christians Sin?

by Kyle Butt, M.A.

A quick reading through the small epistle of 1 John reveals a number of verses that seem to disagree with each other. For instance, in 1 John 1:8,10 the author assures his readers that all people have sinned. In 2:1, John seems to indicate that even Christians will sin and therefore need Jesus Christ to be their advocate. Yet, 3:6 has John on record as saying: “Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.” In verse 8 of chapter 3, John wrote: “He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning.” And verse 9 states: “Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.” Steve Wells, in his work, The Skeptic’s Annotated Bible, wrote concerning these verses in chapter 3: “Earlier in this letter (1:8,10) John assured us that everyone sins. Yet in these verses he claims that Christians don’t sin” (Wells, 2003).

Are these verses examples of contradictions within the Bible? If they are not, what do they mean? Do Christians sin, or don’t they?

The answers to these questions actually are much simpler than it may, at first, appear. When we compare other translations of 3:6,8,9, we see that the actual Greek wording of the verses makes a major difference in the understanding of the passages. R.C.H. Lenski translated 3:6 as follows: “Everyone remaining in him does not go on sinning; everyone continuing to sin has not seen him, nor has he known him” (1966, pp. 457-458, emp. added). Lenski translated verse 9: “Everyone that has been born from God does not go on doing sinning because his seed remains in him; and he is not able to go on sinning because he has been born of God” (p. 462, emp. added). The New International Version translates 3:6: “No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him” (emp. added).

Lenski explained that 1 John 3:6,9 uses a Greek construction called the present durative, which should be translated “does not go on sinning” (pp. 458,462). John, then, is saying no more in these verses than what Paul was saying in Romans 6:1-2, when he stated: “What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any long in it?” Numerous other verses teach that Christians will commit sins, even after they have been washed in the blood of Christ (cf. Romans 7:14-25; Philippians 3:12-13). However, John is saying that any person who rebelliously continues to sin, making it his or her usual, habitual way of life, is not following God. In 1 John 3:9, the Greek present infinitive means to habitually sin without compunction. In more practical terms (to offer an example), it is one thing for a Christian to slip up and commit an act of sexual immorality for which he or she is penitent. It is altogether another thing for a person to live as a prostitute and claim to be “having fellowship with the Father” (1 John 1:6).

Therefore, it is easily shown that no discrepancies exist between the verses under discussion in 1 John. Furthermore, it is refreshing to know that when a Christian does sin, “we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.”

SO all this long unnecessary post when the answer needed was just yes or no!!! tcheeeew
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by italo: 12:24pm On Nov 12, 2014
Hiswordxray:

That is a wrong question. The question should be "do a child of God sin? "

And the answer is "Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God." (1John3:9)

Or rather, humbly ask "I don't understand the Bible please would you teach me? "

You're just a typical dubious penterascal...

A scammer like most of your leaders...

That's why you're dodging the question.
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by johnydon22(m): 12:25pm On Nov 12, 2014
italo:

if i start showing you thousands of contradictions in the bible, you will run away but let me just spare myself the trouble.
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by johnydon22(m): 12:26pm On Nov 12, 2014
italo:

i doubt if you even know how the bible came to be.
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by Hiswordxray(m): 12:28pm On Nov 12, 2014
italo:

Wrong translations and wrong interpretation of Bible.
It is simply you cannot be in Christ and sin. It is impossible for a child of God to sin smiley
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by Hiswordxray(m): 12:31pm On Nov 12, 2014
italo:

You're just a typical dubious penterascal...

A scammer like most of your leaders...

That's why you're dodging the question.

I am answering your question but you can't hear.
Like Jesus said "they have hears but can't hear "
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by italo: 12:33pm On Nov 12, 2014
Hiswordxray:

I am answering your question but you can't hear.
Like Jesus said "they have hears but can't hear "

Rom 7

15 I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. 16 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree that the law is good. 17 But in fact it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh. I can will what is right, but I cannot do it. 19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do. 20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me.

21 So I find it to be a law that when I want to do what is good, evil lies close at hand. 22 For I delight in the law of God in my inmost self, 23 but I see in my members another law at war with the law of my mind, making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, with my mind I am a slave to the law of God, but with my flesh I am a slave to the law of sin.

St. Paul sinned.

He was not a child of God?

Foooooooool!
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by italo: 12:36pm On Nov 12, 2014
johnydon22:

i doubt if you even know how the bible came to be.

The Bible fell from heaven to earth.

Am I wrong? Teach me.
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by Hiswordxray(m): 12:36pm On Nov 12, 2014
You are ju
johnydon22:

if i start showing you thousands of contradictions in the bible, you will run away but let me just spare myself the trouble.

You didn't see contradictions in the Bible, but you saw verse that you didn't understand. And because of your pride you didn't look for answers, thinking that you know it all and there is nothing left to know.
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by Hiswordxray(m): 12:42pm On Nov 12, 2014
italo:

Rom 7

15 I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. 16 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree that the law is good. 17 But in fact it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh. I can will what is right, but I cannot do it. 19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do. 20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me.

21 So I find it to be a law that when I want to do what is good, evil lies close at hand. 22 For I delight in the law of God in my inmost self, 23 but I see in my members another law at war with the law of my mind, making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, with my mind I am a slave to the law of God, but with my flesh I am a slave to the law of sin.

St. Paul sinned.

He was not a child of God?

Foooooooool!

Paul was writing about his experience before he gave his life to Christ. For he wrote in the next chapter that he has find the solution. See Rom 8:13 "For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live."

italo:

Foooooooool![/b]

A Christian speaking words like that. Well by their fruit you shall know them.
People like you can't understand spiritual truth.
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by italo: 12:48pm On Nov 12, 2014
johnydon22:

No contradiction in the Bible's teaching.
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by Weah96: 12:50pm On Nov 12, 2014
italo:

Unfortunately for you, virtuous men have already gone through the bible with painstaking dedication, and so my work has been done in advance.

Who is the father of Joseph?

MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_meritt/bible-contradictions.html#father_of_joseph
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by italo: 12:59pm On Nov 12, 2014
Hiswordxray:

Paul was writing about his experience before he gave his life to Christ. For he wrote in the next chapter that he has find the solution. See Rom 8:13 "For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live."
Liar.

St. Paul spoke in present tense, not past tense in that passage.

Why do you want to forcefully change it to past tense?

At the time he was writing that letter, he was sinning.

Not a child of God according to you.
Hiswordxray:

A Christian speaking words like that. Well by their fruit you shall know them.
People like you can't understand spiritual truth.

"You foolish Galatians!"--St. Paul in Gal 3:1

He was not a Christian then?

Fooooooool!
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by italo: 1:07pm On Nov 12, 2014
Weah96:

Unfortunately for you, virtuous men have already gone through the bible with painstaking dedication, and so my work has been done in advance.

Who is the father of Joseph?

MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_meritt/bible-contradictions.html#father_of_joseph

I am the son of my father...and my grandfather...and Uncle.

That is a contradiction?
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by lanxlot(m): 1:10pm On Nov 12, 2014
italo:

I am the son of my father...and my grandfather.

That is a contradiction?
it is not. I may decide that My son bear My name. the israelites did that back then. do u av a p with that?
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by lanxlot(m): 1:12pm On Nov 12, 2014
Wetin una de argue when neh de finish sef?
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by Hiswordxray(m): 1:13pm On Nov 12, 2014
italo:
Liar.

St. Paul spoke in present tense, not past tense in that passage.

Why do you want to forcefully change it to past tense?

At the time he was writing that letter, he was sinning.

Not a child of God according to you.

"You foolish Galatians!"--St. Paul in Gal 3:1

He was not a Christian then?

Fooooooool!

Again another fruit of carnallity.
Well my advice: You need to grow up spiritually. You need to develop spiritual wisdom. And when you do then read those verses again.
You cannot force a day old baby to say mummy.
And if the blind refuse to see or ask for direction, what can I do?
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by lanxlot(m): 1:16pm On Nov 12, 2014
CANTICLES:
it wasn't a vision, it took place real. mention this to no one until I rise. Jesus said something like that.
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by italo: 1:18pm On Nov 12, 2014
Hiswordxray:

Again another fruit of carnallity.
Well my advice: You need to grow up spiritually. You need to develop spiritual wisdom. And when you do then read those verses again.
You cannot force a day old baby to say mummy.
And if the blind refuse to see or ask for direction, what can I do?

I have shown you with the Bible that you're ignorant and foolish.

You have nothing to back your stupidd claims up.

Paul sinned...and he was a child of God.
Re: The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion by lanxlot(m): 1:19pm On Nov 12, 2014
Hiswordxray, brief me pls, what's the argument about?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Today Is Ash Wednesday / Ten Questions To Theists / Coming Back From The Dead, A Religious Miracle? A Doctor's Perspective.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.